Speaker 1: My name is Tatasha Bamblet. I'm a proud First Nations woman and I'm here to acknowledge country t glennyan Ganya, Niana, kaka ya Ya bin Ahaka nian Ar gay In Nimbina yakarum jar dominyamiga Umagahawakaman damon Imlan wimber bang gadabomba in and now in wakah ghana on yakraum jar Watnadaa. Hello, beautiful friends, we gather on the lands of the Aboriginal people. We thank, acknowledge and respect the Aberiginal people's land that we're gathering on today. Take pleasure in all the land and respect all that you see. She's on the Money podcast acknowledges culture, country, community and connections, bringing you the tools, knowledge and resources for you to thrive.
Speaker 2: She's on the Money.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that makes personal finance fun, especially on Fridays. It is our favorite day of the week because we get to get together and celebrate you and my ailing voice. How beautiful. She's on the Money Community. The incredible Miss Jess Gricci is going to be sharing our favorite money wins. Miss Becksayed as always, has a few cheeky broke tips lined up for us, and we're going to be helping to answer her money dilemma, wanting to know more about managed portfolios and whether they're a good option and something that you slid into our DMS about this week. What do you do when your partner is getting a little bit too obsessed with Black Friday? Oh mister, could you maybe resonate with that question? Do you think Jay might be the partner? Yes, James into the show?
Speaker 3: Help me?
Speaker 4: There's so many boxers.
Speaker 2: Oh, no, you know what I feel like. That's where me sometimes working from home has come in clutch because I hear them come in and I just like usher them into my office and no a package here, generally, tell you what are you talking about? Definitely not besties with the Postman exactly. Before I get to our question for the team, would you guys like to hear a little bit of a five star review? Course? All right? This one is from med Love's photography Cute five stars. Listening to Shares on the Money has honestly changed my life and my whole perspective on money. I've set up an emergency fund, started investing with shares Is. I've been contributing extra to super to get it up to where it should be and have a fun money account which I stick to every week. Having this system and knowledge of why this is all important makes me feel so much more in control. As a millennial who had little financial education growing up, who worked a series of casual and part time jobs well into my thirties, I can now say that, although I still have a lot of catching up to do, I feel like I am very well on my way to financial freedom. I've told all my friends and anyone honestly who will listen about She's on the Money, and recommended the podcast and all of your associated books to my friends. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: My god.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 5: That is amazing, And it sounds like that's me like writing in like cause that's all the casual jobs, part time jobs. It's so cool to know that you can you can turn it around at any moment.
Speaker 2: It's actually crazy. I didn't get in a fight. I got in a slight disagreement with someone in some comments online this week because someone commented on one of our money diaries and said, oh, well, this is so unrelatable, and I was like, but it's not, though, like if I had a billionaire or like I showed something like you know, maybe I was talking about, oh, well, to create wealth, you need to have a business and you need to do this in each that I was like, no, no, no, like, I haven't shown something you're not capable of. And I think I was just really defensive because I was like, God, I've shown a single mom who's single handedly has two jobs and like is running rings around it and still saving and investing, and yes, it's not at the levels she wants it to be at, but she's creating wealth herself. And I just go, no, it might not be relatable to your situation right now, but it's not unreally stick And I think that's where I get a little bit frustrated, because I'm like, there's a difference between unrelatable. You know, you watch influences online and they're buying million dollar homes and just like living lives that genuinely are very unrealistic for the average person. But we're not talking usually about that type of wealth. We're talking about, Hey, baby, if you've got your emergency fund set up, are you investing for the future. Have you structured? You're super? Right? Are you? And sixty five year old? You're going to be all good? And usually in our community, the answer if you're proactive is yes, because you still do have to do the work. But like five star review, thank you for sharing it with us. But girl, you did the work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've tapped a lot of things too, Like she's investing on chances, she's done her super she's doing all these bits and pieces right, exciting and like chie.
Speaker 2: That you did for future you, and she's gonna thrive. It sounds like she already is. And that's my favorite part about our community. That's amazing time. All right, Well, would you guys like the question of the week?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Please? I feel like there's have been getting unhinged. So here's me. I'm reducing this segment. I'm thinking they're gonna ask beck on her opinion of Super. No, you guys really just took this. You can ask us anything and lead with it. The more the better, I say. Yeah, it's time for our favorite part or my favorite part of Friday Drinks, where literally you ask us questions that you are dying to know the answer to, and it literally can be about anything, even shopping tips like this one from Alisha, who says, where are your girls shopping for an affordable black tie dress?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, you have to go to the fanciest wedding you've ever been to. Where are you're going shopping? I'm going to uniclue love. But what are you picking out? Tell me? Like the vibe if I say, and I think that makes it easier, Like we're not just shopping for a black tiev it. Let's say you got hearted to a black tie wedding. You love the person, you want to look your best. What's the outfit vibe?
Speaker 5: I'm going a satin oversized teatly okay, sleigh, and I'm going to do it all the way to the top.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be like like a button up okay, way to the top and then oversized long pant business pant ye ye.
Speaker 5: With a belt and so you can I'm pretty sure you can get. I don't know about the satin part of this outfit.
Speaker 2: I feel like Unicloid does do satin, yes, or you just get a giant shirt.
Speaker 5: Also, I never know the difference between T shirt and shirt. I'm saying shirt with the button.
Speaker 2: Shirt has like the collar and the button us. Okay, shirt is like that rounded neck that you're we you got you got to you so shirt.
Speaker 5: And then I'm just honestly for shoes, whatever the hell you want, because you make it up look nice. But I think just honestly going a kmart and getting like those school shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good. You've got a pair of those. Yeah you look shaking them. Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: And I wouldn't be spending more than for yours, unfortunately because they can't. But if I was going to really really go out, I don't have a place in mind other than Nuklo.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, but I kind of love that's like Beck showing up as Beck. Thank you. Yes, I can't, And when the question came through, I'm like, I cannot for the life of me. Imagine you no getting into a black tied dress and being comfortable. Yeah, no, do that, I'll try, Jess. Where are you shopping?
Speaker 4: I think for the best price secondhand is the go Facebook marketplace deepot because obviously black tie is quite formal.
Speaker 2: My favorite.
Speaker 4: I don't want to say it's super cheap, but you can pick things up on sale. Meshki does a love really great range from more casual through to what I think is totally fine for black tie.
Speaker 2: Now they have a whole segment on their website called black Tie.
Speaker 4: They don't even realize that money wim and I think that they do sales pretty frequently. You can do cash back and things like that to help bring cross down. But relative to what you can find yourself spending for black tie, I think they're quite a reasonable price point for a lot of their pieces.
Speaker 2: Okay, I agree. A lot of my formal dresses historically have actually come from Chic. Oh she does gorgeous. Yeah, and I find I don't know why you are so planned, but like, yes, you're right deep hop, Facebook, market Place, et cetera. Well, yeah, if you've got the time or honestly hiring a dress. That's something that I have been doing a lot of recently because I just know I want a dress that I've not worn. It's black tie. I'm sorry, I know already I'm never gonna wear it again. I've got this one black tie dress that I bought during UNI that honestly I wore for every single UNI event because like, sorry, it was from Chic, which is you know, I just always was there, but like every event, I just wore that dress when it was like uniball or whatever because I was like, well, I don't have the funds to go buy a new dress, and like, I really like this one, so I just kept wearing and it looked really good. Not gonna lie, but yeah, I would go chic if I didn't have the time to source something. But you bought a formal dress not long ago. Was it racquet Club?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, rack Club are great. Yeah, I remember you being like, gee, this was like thirty dollars and I have no event to wear it too, but like I just know I'm going to get aware out of this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They're a consignment store, which is another really good option. So they're in Melbourne. They have I think three locations. I've sold stuff there to. It's great for that as well. But yeah, similar thing like a consignment see might have luck. And I feel like formal dresses are something that a lot of people do sell on because you wear it once maybe twice, and you go, oh, I don't know that I would wear it again, So you can often pick them up places like that really cheap.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I would also recommend if you've got a good friends group, which I know some of us don't have that. But if you've got a good friends group, shop their wardrobes. Oh yeah. Like in our office at work, it just goes, oh my god, I've got a wedding coming up. I'm always like, if I have any dresses you want, you let me know, Like, you can borrow whatever. If you've seen me on like on Instagram in it or like, you know it's in my wardrobe. It's fair game. Like I just love the idea that my cost per wear is being brought down by other people as well. I've done a few Victoria Divine specials over the years. Yeah, but like, I don't know. It's so funny because I know some people who'd be like, oh, I'd never lend out my wardrobe. I get such joy out of the fact that I picked a dress. I loved it. But then like Jess didn't just go oh yeah that was pretty nice Bee, She's like, can I borrow it? Yes, Queen, looks so good on you too, Like I love that you loved it too. Yeah, that is a good feeling. Yeah, sorrying's a great tip. You're borrowing. We're borrowing dresses. From our friends. Honestly borrowing silk shirts from our friends. Absolutely ten out of ten. I feel like we've nailed that question. Would you like to get into the money, wins and confessions of this week, Jessica, I would love.
Speaker 4: To, if that's all right. I'm going to start off this week with one from Hannah. She's actually paid off and closed her after pay after having to rye on it for the last couple of years. It felt really bloody good, Queen and everyone else who's doing the same thing. It's greats to money went from Claire, who said she went to Ikea to buy a chair cover. After picking one up, she passed through the as e Is section on her way out and found the exact same one there for half of the price. The Aussiest section is my favorite set at Ika if they're right by the checkout and it's where they sell all the stuff that was in the display rooms. I assembled properly by like someone who works in Ikia knows how to do it, and it's like it hasn't been used, it's just been sitting there.
Speaker 2: That's so good. My favorite part of Ikea is the cafeteria where you can get the meatballs absolutely.
Speaker 4: After we spoke about it, maybe a month or two ago, I went and got meatballs.
Speaker 2: For Did she actually stop it? It's so close to the studio. I'm so jealous. We can do it today. Didn't invite us? I know what the hell, let's do it today. Thats not your kids? We all secretly because I was going to go too. But if we all ready each other, let's do it after this, let's hear it after this. That sounds fair? Th mexticot.
Speaker 4: A money went from Jessica excellent name, who said a bit of an old one, but her favorite spin studio ran a specialty class and then afterwards took all the women to Lulu Lemon to get a.
Speaker 2: Free pair of leggings.
Speaker 4: Sorry, what she said, pretty epic return on a thirty five dollar class. She'd never normally spend that much money on a pair of leggings. What I'd like to sign up for this class?
Speaker 2: Please? Sorry? How do we get in on? That sounds slight? I love a little still them they all just went in and just like a HIJACKX you imagine. No, No, we don't do that, Yeah we do, we don't. Lastly, this week, I've got a money win from Adriana who said her car insurance was to you. She asked them to lower the annual price due to her having three separate policies with them, so they did it by fifty dollars, which put it back to the same price as last year. They said they were going to resent her the policy. They didn't resent her the policy, so she followed up and they took another sixty bucks off for the inconvenience win. It pays to be inconvenience sometimes. Absolutely. Learning from this absolutely that's everything for me. This I love that. Miss becksay ed, what have you got when it comes to broke tips? So this week I got a couple of good ones. The first one comes from Katya. She says that if you hit escape really.
Speaker 5: Quickly when you're going to like read an article and a pay wall comes up escape, if you hit escape really quickly, then you can sometimes avoid the paywall. And so our gorgeous producer did some research on this and it is true. Quickly eating the escape key upon a page loading can sometimes prevent a paywall from appearing by interrupting the pages loading process, which I.
Speaker 2: Know is like it depends on the it depends on.
Speaker 5: The side, like I do feel bad, like I don't want to steal content, but also like why can't I just read the article?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: Personal peppe is news behind a paywall.
Speaker 4: If you are a creator putting totally out, Oh yeah, I think you suck.
Speaker 2: No, not at all, but like, yeah, the nature of what it is news should be for public consumption. I agree, I agree. I don't know. That's my hot take. I completely share another one that I may or may not use. So the second it starts loading, I can't control a control C, so like can select everything control C. I've copied it because then, as you guys probably know, you can start reading the article and then the pop up comes up. So if you can get that control a control C before that happens, I then cut and paste it into a word document and read it on my own computer. Oh my god, I haven't tried the escape thing. I didn't even know what the escape key did, so I'm going to give that a crack as well. But that has been my hack for reading paywalled articles that maybe or I didn't want to pay massive God that what you will. We're not telling you how to live your life. We're just kidding. Do you think that's ethical. That's totally okay. Don't do it completely because we wouldn't. We're not doing it. We're not going to do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean when I say I do it, I was just making a suggestion that I might be able to do it. Yes, it's a clever idea that you haven't tried yet. Yeah, as somebody who writes for a publication, who often puts my articles behind paywalls, I'd hate for you to have that information absolutely because you don't write that for just anyone. Yeah. Well, there you go, and so.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: Okay. The next one comes from Lisa.
Speaker 5: So this was like a thread asking for holiday saving STIPs, and I thought this was really interesting.
Speaker 2: Lisa said that she does a supermarket cleaning collect.
Speaker 5: Or delivery order before she leaves, like the health, the accommodation she's saying it, or like a holiday when she's going on holiday exactly, so she only has to eat out once a day. That means that she doesn't have the option of like deciding not to go shopping when she gets there, and she doesn't have to waste the time doing the shopping as well, she can just like enjoy her holiday so I'm like, trick yourself into like doing like yeah, like a click and collect or like a delivery order or something like.
Speaker 2: It's a really great idea. Every time we've ever gotten you guys already probably know this, but every time I've gone on holidays with Jess, I'm like, so, where's the new a supermarket? Not gonna lie. If we're traveling internationally, I don't want to do click and collect. I want to Yeah, that's inexperience going through an international market, getting to see their cereal aisles, like what brands they have like for me, that's part of the holiday. I love it. I love it. I'm always like, oh, do you want to go into that supermarket? Do you want to go into that deli? Like, maybe I'm not the person you want to travel with, but yeah, I always go get like a cereal and a coffee option for the mornings, for sure. I don't want to eat out every single meal. No, I know it is quite experienced.
Speaker 5: I always look for the grocery store wherever I am, even if I'm with in Australia. Something about being and woolies is so companying. This next one is from Jess Ricky.
Speaker 2: Actually, if you don't mind. So we put a whole thread in our Facebook group every single week so that our community can share. And then you just go, yeah, just give me, give me hot I think I know what this one is and it is a good one. Oh it's crazy. She's got tickets on this too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is right right, you know what that's actually pun and you'll soon figure out why. So to celebrate the opening of the Metro Tunnel, two months of free travel will apply every Saturday and Sunday from early December twenty twenty five to the first of February twenty twenty six for all public transport within Victoria. Isn't that amazing?
Speaker 2: That is actually very cool? And now my ticket comment does make sense, makes a lot of sense. No ticket required, you guys, that is a money win. Could we make it a little bit better? Like, can can you have your people call my people or something and talk about extending that for like even a week so that everyone can save on their my keys for work and then like really stash some extra cash. Lovely, I don't know about the weekend. I'll take what I can get. I want to be greedy, but also I'm really greedy.
Speaker 5: I think like, either never end it just weekends forever free, I would think, or yeah, make it like the whole week for a few months.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also reckon that the Victorian Premier should call the Queensland Premier and they should talk. Yes, because for those of you not following, Queensland get fifty cent public trans yes. Do they rude? Right? Very nice? I know, I know, well fair enough. I have your people call their people and their people tell you how to do your job.
Speaker 5: It really makes me upset and I'm not going to linger on this for too long. But people that are already struggling to get by and then they're like, oh cool, I finally found a job.
Speaker 2: Oh it's going to cost me fifty dollars a week to get there and you don't have the cash, and like, you don't have it, just give us public transport for free during a week, yeah, because I feel like that take a lot of pressure off a lot of people. Absolutely, or just do it for fifty cents. Sorry, why can Queensland do it exactly?
Speaker 5: And actually, you know what we'll pay on the weekends during the week. No, we try to take my taxes. And that's my vergue tip for this week.
Speaker 2: Do you know what, that's a really good one. I will allow the fact that you got Jess to do your job. Thank you Jess anytime. Okay, don't cut this out. That is naughty. I actually like your opinion. Beck, stop trying to steal Jess. Yes, Sam, or let's go to a really quick break because on the flip side, we're going to be talking about a money dilemma. Wanting to know more about managed portfolios not managed funds, and something that you slid into our DMS about what do you do when your partner is getting a little bit too obsessed with Black Friday? And it's definitely not from Jess's partner, So you'll see you on the flip side. Guy.
Speaker 4: Welcome back, everybody. Let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 6: Hi, there, have you got a money dilemma you just can't solve? The She's on the Money team is here to help. Every week, we tackle your dilemmas, both big and small, to answer your most burning money, career and life questions. To get involved, simply head to our website and leave us a short voice recording and you might just find yourself on the show. Now, let's take a listen to this week's money dilemma.
Speaker 7: Hi, she's on the money. I have a question regarding our favorite topic of investing. I currently have two different apps for investing. I have a Chez's account and Better Shares account. With the Chas's, I'll just have a few ETFs and direct shares that I put money into when I can, and the Beta shares are recently opened up a high growth managed portfolio and I aim to put two to three hundred a month into that. My question is, are these managed portfolios actually worth it? I pay three dollars a month. I know that changes per platform, per portfolio, and how much you've gotten it, but I was doing a bit of overreading, we would say, a bit of analysis paralysis into these managed portfolios, and people say that it it is not worth it, and you can just kind of buy their ETFs or shares yourself.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to know what your thoughts are on these managed profolos and if they're were it.
Speaker 2: Thanks? I love this. I think that's a really good question because like, these managed portfolios online are incredibly transparent, so you can go to and she mentioned Beta shares and I've just gone to their website, just to make sure that I've got, you know, a really good handle of what's going on. And it reminds me a lot of our friends at Life Sirpa. They do something really really similar. I feel like they might hold your hand a little bit more than just a Beta shares like managed portfolio. But anyway, we can get back to that. We can talk about that later. But the cool thing about this is, yes, you could go in today and replicate the beta shares platform, like you could log in, go have a look at their website exactly like I am. Have a look at their managed portfolios. They are super transparent. They're like, okay, cool. If you're an aggressive investor, these are the ETFs we would pick with you. The problem with you going in and going, well, I don't want the fees. I don't want to be associated with that. I wanted, you know, do it myself. That's fantastic. You could absolutely do that. But the managed portfolio part means they ongoingly manage the rebalancing the construction of that portfolio. They are going to choose when an ETF exits your portfolio. So if they're like, oh, this one's not performing as well, we're going to drop that out. They're going to pick up another option and just put it into your portfolio without you lifting a finger. So today, yes, they are being very transparent on what they would pick, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't change and be ongoingly managed. And the fees are reflective of that. So that's why people might ask questions like, oh, you could just do yourself. You totally could. I do it myself. But every single six months ish, I go back in and I analyze every single one of my ETFs and I make sure that they're performing the way I want. You know, I might sell down some to rebalance it over because I have. And we've spoken about this before, and this is probably a good plug to go back and listen to the episode that I did with Brooke on her investing portfolio. We talk about how we have It's basically a pie chart, and I know that I want fifty percent of my portfolio in this particular asset, and then I break up the rest of my portfolio across different assets. And then every six months, I get that pie chat out and I sit it in front of me and look at my portfolio and go, is this still replicated? Am I still comfortable with this breakdown, Do I want any changes? And then, because the market always ebbs and flows, like, yes, I have for this period of time invested fifty percent of the amount I invest into that ETF. But let's pretend it performed really well. Okay, Now my portfolio is actually more than fifty percent of that ETF because it's been performing so well, and I have a dividend reinvestment plan, so I often will make the decision to sell down some of that stock and redistribute it into the other parts of my portfolio so I can maintain the percentages I have chosen. They do that for you, Yeah, so they're going to have the finger on the pulse and all you have to do is keep sending money their way. They are going to charge a fee for that service, but for most people, that is a fee that is worthy of paying. And I won't talk about beta shares specifically, that's just what this community member has written in about. But there are lots of different managed portfolio options on the market where they say, hey, JS, we'll manage it for you. Yeah, and like to me, if you don't want to have as high a touch option as you know, when I go into my shares is account and I have to look at my portfolio and go, oh, what's that looking like? Perfect? Some of us don't want that, but we want that middle ground between. Well, I'd love to do it myself because I love the idea of those fees. I don't want to go see a financial advisor because I don't want to pay those fees, but I still want more support than DII. Does that make sense, Yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah. My only thing with the an issue that I would just flag is that I think the beta shares one from a cursory look, I'm not super familiar with it personally, but I think it's just ETFs they manage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's just what they've constructed their portfolio of. For some other managed funds, you might find that they are a managed fund and they hold twelve different direct shares that they manage, and they would chop and change out of that, and it would really depend on the company issuing them. I'm not surprised, and I quite like Beta shares as a business. They are fantastic. But if you've not heard of them before, they are one of the biggest issuers of ETFs in Australia. So they've clearly seen, well, we construct ETFs all the time, let's put this product over the top and have a different team pick from basically all our ETFs to create a portfolio that ongoingly is managed for a client. It's good business from them from my perspective. But then the other thing I would say there is if you're going to go to a beta shares, it's like going and seeing a mortgage broker who works for a bank. So you're only going to get beta shares ETF options. They're not going to go pick a vanguard option because that's not in their best interests. So that's where if you're looking at this and going, oh, that actually sounds really good, v Like, I love the managed portfolio idea, but you're going to go direct to an ETF, I can guarantee all of their managed portfolios are just made up of different selections of their product. You're not getting the whole market, whereas a product like life Sherpa would be able to actually just they might have a beta shares, they might have a vanguard that might be looking at a black rock over here, and they kind of take everything on the market and then construct your managed portfolio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're a nice middle ground two in terms of price point because they don't do like a full written advice and it doesn't come with the expense that we know is really prohibitive.
Speaker 2: To a lot of people.
Speaker 4: Whereas you know the way that they do it. They do a little bit of robo but they also have people there that you can pick up the phone and speak to. So it's a little bit of a step further than the managed fund with beta shares, where I think you just buy it, or any managed fund, you just buy it and you know, let it tick away in the background. Sometimes you know, people want a person there. So that makes it a really good I guess next stepping option across the spectrum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the last thing I want you guys to take from that is like, oh, the beta shares is not a good option. It is, but that's why I want you to look at all of your options on the table, but then also have the pros and cons, Like beta shares do great ETFs, they have really good performance, they have a really good track record. They may have top five every year, yeah, but they're always in our top five. I've met with so many people on their team before they are so delightful. But it would be a miss of me to not be really pragmatic about going. Okay, cool, but it is like going direct to the bank for a loan and not looking for the rest of the options that might be on the table that maybe suit you a little bit better. But you could also go. But I really like be I'm the same as you. I really trust them, I'm miss I'm that. So you just go with the beta shares option. It's not necessarily going to impact your performance because every ETF issue are is going to construct them in a way where they're trying to perform their best too. Yeah, so is it the worst? No, But I also want you to have like the black and the white and make the decision for yourself. I'm not going to be like, yep, fantastic option, off you go. Yeah, but yeah, you'll never get that from me. I'm so sorry. No, it's so fair.
Speaker 5: That's great advice. I this is in my wheelhouse. But I trust everything you say. Oh thanks, babe, always haven't always will.
Speaker 2: The next ones for you? Don't you? Would you like to hear the next one? Absolutely? All right, So we're going to slide on into our DMS and read out one of the spiciest ones we got this week, which surprisingly, my favorite part about this is it's anonymous for you guys and every single one of our listeners. I know who you are already looked at your Instagram profile. It's James. Imagine that's where I go and to ruin our own fun, Beck was it wasn't James. But that's okay, so hey, she's on the money. I'm starting to get anxious about Black Friday. Normally, my partner and I are on exactly the same page with money. We share finances and we're not big spenders. We've got other goals that we're currently working towards. But it's like something flips in him every single year. Every time something he wants comes up, he says, I'm going to add it to the Black Friday list, and then his lips get out of control. I get that technically we save money if we shop during Black Friday, but to me, the list is not essential things that we actually need. I don't want to come across as controlling or like I'm telling him what he can and can't spend money on. But I also feel like he's falling right into what the sales are designed to make us do, which is overspend. How do I get him to see that? And what would you do for you?
Speaker 4: And me?
Speaker 2: Well, how the tables have turned?
Speaker 3: Who and I love it?
Speaker 2: You're like, the guy's the bigger spender. Oh yeah, yeah, that's a silly little girl thing. Men do it too, Absolutely. Men spend money and they go, oh, good on you, mate, you deserved that, or good investment. I spend a boat frivolous. Yeah, okay, So what would I do?
Speaker 5: I think, first of all, the fact that this person has enough self control, your partner has enough self control to be like, I'm going to add this to the list of things that I want to buy when it's really heavily reduced. I think that is incredible. It's an incredible place to start. But I also think, like, in the it probably feels like there are things that you guys don't need, but like maybe because there are so many things that bring us joy, and the fact that he's putting these on a like in a list of things to buy in the future means that it's very likely. I don't know if this happens, because you see, you do seem to be worried that it's all all everything in the list is staying in the list. But I think if you spend you kind of wait a long time, like as you say, VD, like leave twenty four hours between you and your purchase, then you kind of end up being like, oh, I don't really need that anyway. So I feel like having a list of things that are just like luxury items is a good idea to have anyway, because it's probably they're probably not all going to make it when it comes to Black Friday time. But I think like allow each other those little treasures and honestly thank your lucky goddamn stars that they are not like me, and just like, oh my god, I want that. I'm going to buy that right now. I don't even care to take a line of credit out. I don't have to get a credit card or after pay.
Speaker 2: I do not care. There's nothing that's stopping me from And then Matt go back up, we're working on that right now.
Speaker 8: No judgment, Yeah, I would just say, but obviously, like if these things are like if it's kind of gotten to the point where it's like I don't care if it financially ruins us, I'm buying these at Black Friday, no matter what.
Speaker 2: That's a different story. But if it's like.
Speaker 5: They're not going to financially cripple us, it's just like, hey, you don't need to be like buying these luxury items.
Speaker 2: We don't need them.
Speaker 5: Then you know, maybe whittle it down to two or three things that bring you joy and then just stick with those per year. But I wouldn't worry too much personally.
Speaker 2: I would be interested to know. I want to see the list. I'm so desperate. I would love to see the list.
Speaker 4: I totally agree our listeners on the money in the sense when they say that, you know, the marketing sales.
Speaker 2: Periods are designed.
Speaker 4: You know, they're built with strategies that utilize psychology and things like that to make us spend as much money as possible. Like, let's be really upfront, that's the ultimate goal of all of these companies is to sell as much product as they can and make as much money as they.
Speaker 2: Can, and they're doing it really well. It do me really well.
Speaker 4: I think that, as we have said on the show many times, you can utilize these sales to your advantage. Something that you are going to buy anyway, whether it's a necessity, whether it is a little treaty treat we were talking about, like the Ninja products on like.
Speaker 2: The Amazon Prime Day sales.
Speaker 4: If that's something that you knew was on you know, Christmas list for the kids or something like that, and you were going to make the purchase anyway, it does make sense to buy it on sale. What I would be interested to know is is your husband keeping this list throughout the year not spending incidentally throughout the youngs fun money is banking up and going hard during Black Friday, because in that instance, I actually think that it may not be so bad. And the way that you can crash check this is do you have a budget. If you have a budget, do you have fun money allocated? If you do, you maybe spending your fun money every month, Like this's what I do. I we have a certain amount that I say I can spend this every month, and I do.
Speaker 2: Every month I spend it. She's really good at it. Actually, we talk about it in the office like the other day one of our team members, because we've been on work trips and like in and out of the office a lot recently. She's like, be my fun money from the last few weeks has banked up now I have extra fun money dream and now I have analysis paralysis over how I can spend it.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean, right, So if he had fun money throughout the year and he wasn't spending it, yeah, you know, if you guys don't have a firm budget system in place, it might be a little bit harder to track.
Speaker 2: But I would just keep that as a consideration because.
Speaker 4: I think if one of you is maybe spending within your means throughout the year and one of you isn't, it's not the worst thing. If that's all then being spent during sale time. If that's not the case, then he has just gone a little bit buck while going whoa, it's all on sale, which, like I mean, we've all been there. I think it is just a matter of maybe sitting him down, running the numbers a little bit.
Speaker 2: I feel like that's what I always come back to you. I just want to know what's on the list, Like only you're not saying it's essential, but like why is it on a list ongoingly? It's not like an impulse purchase from the way that you've written it. It's like a list that he's been tracking, like it might be you know, like Jess the Ninja and you really really want it. It's been your list for ages and you've been thinking about it and thinking about it, and you're like, no, I'm happy to spend that couple of hundred dollars and I want to get the best steal. Is that what it is? Or is it just like he just sees it as free money and he's been making this laundry list of luxury products you guys genuinely do not need and you don't even know if he's going to use them, and he doesn't check the list twice. He's like, I'm just going to buy the list when it comes up, Like I want to know the mentality around that. But same as Jess, Like what's your budget look like? And what does your fun money allocated look like? And maybe we're not even questioning the list, Like maybe we're sitting down and being like, hey, like we're planning on doing some spending in the future or around Black Friday, Like what do we actually have budgeted for this? Like what off the list can we afford to get or not? As opposed to like breaking down his list in his middle ground, only carefully curated for a specific purchase and you know, you might come to the conclusion together. You know what, you don't need a new TV. You already have a TV and that one works really well. But to him it might be a more of a priority than you thought it was, So I don't think breaking down the list first is maybe the wisest decision. Then you're telling him kind of that his values aren't as valid as what you think they are. And I wouldn't want anyone to feel bad about their decisions around money, especially sorry you're starting a list, you're checking it twice a find out who's not or not exactly what we got to exactly. And the other additional layer is maybe you could open the conversation up about, hey, how do we make the most of these sales? Christmas is coming up? You know, it's my friend's birthday coming up, and I know that it's like her thirtieth, so I know I'm going to be buying a present. Should we be talking about all of those things now, so that the sales are not just you know, benefiting us and luxury items that we want to buy, but also putting us in a better financial position. Because I don't think a lot of people and I have this year right there, Christmas lists early enough to then go oh, I've picked up Becks and Jesses and this and that during a sale, because the closer you get to Christmas, the less sales there are going to be. There's going to be a whole heap of promotion. They're going to say that things are discounted, but they're never as discounted as they are during Black Friday or host Black Friday, just because they know that you're more desperate for it and you're going to pay for it. Yeah, you're not going to find sales on Christmas Eve, baby cakes, that's not going to happen. They know that you're now desperate buying yeah, and that wasn't maybe a planned purchase, and they're going to make hey, well the sun is shining basically. So we obviously also asked the community because sorry, my favorite thing is your opinion. Couldn't agree more. Oh I love reading through this and being like, oh, that's spicy. So we first said what would you do if you were our community member? This was pretty split. Forty five percent of you said separate spending, budget limits and the other forty five percent said compromised with a shared agreed list seven percent of you said leave him to spend however he wants, and two percent said I'd push to skip Black Friday altogether. Okay, fine. Next question I asked was what are your Black Friday vibes? Thirty eight percent of you very she's on the money, said I'm going to use it for Christmas gifts only gorgeous. Thirty five percent of you said managed to stick to my list and my budget. Seventeen percent of you said I'm actually unsubscribing from everything Black Friday, and then ten percent of you said get carried away and I am overspending. Yeah. We then said, all right, what's your two cents on this question? First person said, I put money away each month for Black Friday sales. I do have a list of essentials for myself, and I also have a plan for my Christmas shop. Brilliant. Next person said, spending on something you don't need because it's on sale is not saving. It is still spending. I love that quote. That's one of my favorite quotes because it you're true. I feel like we say it in the office all the time and people are like, oh my god, it was like forty percent off, and we're like, was it or did you play sixty percent true. Oh, if you were in the office more often, Beck, I think you would be horrified at the conversations we have. Like the other day, I was talking to one of our team members who really wants the new iPhone, and I was just like same, yeah. I was like, you don't need it. She's like, yeah, I do. Like it's got a better camera. And I was like, you've got a camera. You do not need another one camera. Yeah. No, sorry, I'm just no, no, no, You've got a phone that works. And these things come out every single twelve months, So another twelve months from now, you're going to be wanting the iPhone eighteen? So do you want that one? Like, let's just put it off, Like, well, you've got something that works. Yeah. Oh yeah, we're savages in the office. That's a great point. We're much kinder to the community than we are to each other in the office. Down. Yeah, we're like Jessica, put it down, just step away from the next person said the over consumption and american ness actually just gives me the ex so I skip. Next person said, do you have a shared goal that his spending is going to interfere with or are you better? And I'll do two more. Next person said, it's not a sale if they hike the price for the month before, then bring it back down for like Friday.
Speaker 4: That's always worth checking because some people do do that some places.
Speaker 2: True. And then someone said, I will only ever order something if it's like fifty percent off, not the silly five to twenty percent. Impletely agree. Do you get that anytime? Yeah? Absolutely? All right, Well That's where I'm going to leave it there. But I do feel like I just need to have a values conversation. What's a comeback to jess communication that's been so wild for a wild all right, will have a good rest of the day, guys, and we'll see you bright and early on Monday morning for a money Darry Bye, Bye, guys. Bye.
Speaker 6: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances.
Speaker 2: She's on the.
Speaker 6: Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 2: If you do choose to buy a financial.
Speaker 6: Product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 5: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria divine and she's on the money are authorized representatives of money Shoper pty Ltd ABN three two one is six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight
Speaker 2: Nine Back had the