Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week. Hey guys, welcome back to TV Reload. Thank you for clicking and downloading. On today's episode with TJ and Tyler, this week's eliminated singers from Australian Idol on Channel seven. Twenty years after Guys Sebastian pipped Shannonold to become Australia's first Idol, the international star making reality TV Sensation has returned to Channel seven and seven plus And if you aren't watching, you were missing out on some sensational television. Said to be the toughest season we've ever seen an Australian Idol. I think Kyle Sandalance mentioned that last night we saw the top ten go down to the top eight. Today we are going to sit down with TJ and Tyler to get the goss on what they thought of their time on the show. We will unpack why this season has seen so many shot departures so far and how the judges may be affecting the votes. TJ will unpack his unusual style and if John Farnham has actually contacted him about his version of the voice. We'll talk about his career progression from idol and who is going on the boys tour once Idol is finished? Plus everything from what they thought of Amy Sharks singing live and if it's okay to sing with American accents if you are Australian. There is actually so much to unpack with the guys today, and they're very genuine boys. So sit back and relax as we dive just that little bit deeper into the world of Australian Idol. How are you mate?
Speaker 2: Look a lot better than me.
Speaker 1: So what type of sleep do you get after being eliminated from Australian Idol?
Speaker 3: None, yes, well yeah, I was gonna say, well, yeah, it's this type of sleep that you and yeah, yeah, nam, So it's all good.
Speaker 2: It's all good.
Speaker 1: Did you try and get any sleep? Did you lie in bed and do? What my mum would say is just as long as you're in bed and you're lying there, then it's still good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I wasn't sleeping, but as long as I hit the pillar and like pretended to sleep, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Well, I just want to say that Post Malone song of yours and your version of it was dope. And I'm forty four and I shouldn't say the word dope because it makes me seem ridiculous, but I feel like it's appropriate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I just kind of just winged it and people are saying they like it, so that's that makes me happy.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: I mean, I put I obviously put some thought into it, but I just wanted to have a different bit of edge on it. It was a bit of different vibe to it and turned out all right.
Speaker 1: I think I think I heard you say that you saw post Malone. Did you see him in a live concert at some point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw im, and I saw him at Spilt Milk, which is a music festival.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And did you borrow any of his dance moves? Because Kyle Sanderalanz was saying that some of your dance moves were very Zoolander, But I was actually thinking I could see some actual post Malone in there, because he's kind of doing some strange stuff while he's dancing, isn't he Yeah, he does.
Speaker 3: He does some whack moves and like he's so unique in how he does that, And honestly, I just I had no choreography planned whatever, just came to my mind. I just did it, and that's just what happened. So nothing was planned. Everything was honestly just like feeling it, just doing what I felt was right.
Speaker 1: Well, I really do you know what? I actually was so looking forward to every week, and I don't know how I'm going to enjoy the show without you and your voice. To me, maybe it's just that's the style of music that I'm into, But I don't feel like the competition is going to be the same now that you've gone. What is up with the voting this year? Why are we seeing so many of our best artists being booted out of the competition.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it's tough.
Speaker 3: Hey, Like I am obviously in this like locked away in this in this world of just like being in the studio recording, filming, you know, rehearsing, and it's like you kind of distance yourself from the outside world a bit. And I think what it is honestly, Like you know, I think Trans a great example, Like you know, he has this massive sort of support group behind him and he's just getting hundreds of thousands of votes. Trans a great singer, But like I'm not targeting him, but like a lot of people have his like whole followings behind them, and it's not necessarily because they can, you know, they have the best voice or they look the best.
Speaker 2: Is because they just like people. It's honestly just fans of who.
Speaker 3: They are, what they do, how they address. Obviously like their voice and all that stuff is accounted for. But yeah, everyone, like a very few select people that just have a lot and a lot of support behind them. And I was kind of getting all my votes from like a small community basing and for my family and friends, so it was it was a tough compent. It's a tough comp because some people just really really loved more than others.
Speaker 2: So but that's just the that's the that's just how it is.
Speaker 1: But Tyler, you know, the judges really can influence the outcomes. If they say that you're too good, people don't seem to vote for them. But if they say you are terrible, or in fact call you Curmit the frog, then that I believe changes the votes. So they've got to be really careful about what they say because I kind of feel like the judges are controlling this somehow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the judges have they have a massive say, like people say that the judges have an sort of effects on this what they do because what they say people listen to.
Speaker 2: They are they have the credible source within the show.
Speaker 3: And if they go, oh yeah, no, not your best performance, ra Rah, obviously a show I think one way, I think, oh that was amazing, perfect in Australia in another way, so it's like, yeah, they have a massive say so what they can definitely control the show in how they comment on our.
Speaker 1: Performances because I believe that if we took away that Kermit comment from Trent and we called you Agro or of some other puppet, I don't know, kind of feel like Australia might have felt like you were unsafe and so they would have voted for you.
Speaker 3: I feel like the judges like life our performance and I was like pretty mutually like oh yeah, it was cool. You know, there's nothing controversial, and it was just sort of like your basic sort of comments. And also at the same time, it happens if I'd closed or sometimes I feel like the show might keep certain people there for a reason because you know, they might you know, create certain stories or you know, the controversy that they want to keep on the show. So you know, I'm not saying that I know anything because I don't, but it is what it is, I guess. So you just got to go to roll with the punches.
Speaker 1: I kind of feel like you're the Matt Corby And maybe this is showing my age when I see this. Maybe you don't know who Matt Corby is, but I feel like you're the Matt Corby of the season. I feel like you're the artist that I can imagine already being on Triple J, already having a different sound, already stepping outside of the idol box because no one even thinks of Matt Corby coming from Australian Idol. And I feel like that's the conversation we're going to have about you in ten years is people will be like, did you know that he was on Australian Idol. I feel like that's where we're going.
Speaker 3: That's great, I mean that would be crazy. I love Matt Corby, mate, He's amazing and I want to still pushing to play a show with him. It could be true that I think like, in the next couple of years, I want to be remembered for, you know, being a good songwriter and bringing a good show to your city, wherever you live, and I think, like the whole old experience, it will be acknowledged, but it might not be remembered very well, and it might be one of those things like you said, you look at that in the past. Tyler's great, but did you know, like like you just said, did you know he was actually an Australian id on People be like, oh, well, no, I didn't.
Speaker 2: So, but I'm like, I'm.
Speaker 3: Hoping that's that's the player because They're like, I want to be playing shows for living, you know. I want to go around and play my original set with the band and just play to these awesome crowds and wherever I go, I.
Speaker 2: Just want I want people to come and just just listen and have a good time. And I hope that will be my.
Speaker 3: Life stern and I'm already doing it just sort of small scale. I hope the scales gets bigger and bigger because I just I just live for and hale, like especially being on that stage of an idol, it's like playing for that crowd and it's just like sometimes you just want to cry because you just it just feels so.
Speaker 2: It just feels so good.
Speaker 1: I mean, these shows are kind of like an invitation to a career. That's the way that I've always explained it, because yes, it shows you that you have an X factor to get picked and to get as far as you do. But I mean, it's really up to you as to what you do moving out of this. And I just feel like that transition for you will be quite easy, because I mean, idle. You know, they've got to do things like let's have a game that we're playing with the audience where you know, the judges are picking songs for you. That can be a bit of a distraction and it can be a bit of a novelty where that kind of stuff doesn't really exist for artists, you know what I mean in the real world.
Speaker 3: So true, Hey, yeah, And I think that that's because you remember, at the end of the day, like it is a television show and that they want to enter pole and they want there to be controversy. It's like that's what's just so different, Like it's not you're not in the music industry there, You're not doing that. You're like on a television show that's trying to get good ratings and get some awesome ads in the lineup, and you know, I know that a lot of them do care about us and what we do, but at the same time, like they're trying to just create a really captivating television show. And I think that that for me is like one thing that I started.
Speaker 2: To learn, and like I just when I learned that, it's like, you know, I.
Speaker 3: Want to go out there and perform like it my last performance, and just that's all you can really do is just like to speak for yourself. And I don't know, sometimes they try to throw a spanner in the works, but it's really important for what I try to do is be myself. And I watched back to the episodes and sometimes instead of smiling and you know, doing that, I'm just looking like and need it. But that's just because I just tried to be myself. But I try to statue to myself because you don't want anyone having a false representation of who you are.
Speaker 1: You've been put in advice though, Like I mean, this is what I don't think people realize. You know, when you're being picked to me on a show like this, it is a much bigger beast than I think in what people understand and when you're in the vice. It's very hard to try to stay true to yourself. I genuinely do think we've got a really good understanding of who you were, though I think you maintained that. I don't think there's anything that you need to be embarrassed about at all. I mean, there was probably one dance move that I thought, watching back maybe looked a little bit strange. But that'll be on TikTok tomorrow, And maybe that's the controversy that you need.
Speaker 2: Maybe God, sometimes I should think about what I'm doing. But anyway, who's.
Speaker 1: Going on the boys tour? Maybe this is where the controversy that's going to elevate you into statum is going to come from. As in, like the boys on the show remaining, didn't you say last night you're going to take the boys on tour? Like we're going to go and do an idle tour?
Speaker 3: Oh? So what I mean is like say, I have two best friends that are twin brothers and we grew up together, and okay, they are the boys, and they stood up and had a cheering I think they might have been in last night's show. They might have shown them with those two boys. So one of them is a drummer, and one of them is are guitars and seeing we all sing, but so essentially we're a trio. Yeah, I'm like the lead singer. When I said that, it's like I want to, you know, sad to me just going around my guitar to all the countries, I.
Speaker 2: Mean all the the the cities maybe countries. One day.
Speaker 3: I want to obviously bring bring the band and make it a real awesome show, like you know, like bring the same energy.
Speaker 2: As the idol stage of the Footall Band.
Speaker 3: And I want to do my songs, but I might also play, you know, some some of the idle songs that I've done, but I want to I want to bring that vibe and it's it's definitely the worst. As soon as they get home tomorrow, it's going to be like put down organizing at every city, which venue, let's skept tickets going and get people to come and watch in person instead of on a television screen.
Speaker 1: What did you think of Amy Shark's Foreman's I think we saw how high it is to sing on that stage. By watching someone of her caliber up there, you know, you can hear some of that music intonation and some of the people were commenting about a slight American accent being heard with Amy, and then also people are talking about an American accent being heard in some of the artists. But what's your comment on Australian artists singing with American accents? Is that a crutch that we should try and avoid or is that something that just happens.
Speaker 3: Look, in my personal opinion, it's a tough one to crack because I don't think I have too much American accent with myself, so commenting on people that do, it's a tough one to talk about because.
Speaker 1: Could you hear it?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: Could you hear some of the American accents coming out of the performance, especially this week?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I can, I can, yeah, And I can't. Like when I think about.
Speaker 3: The contestants from last night, like the ten of Us, I can't like to tell you shut off top my head who I think doesn't and doesn't. But like you said, with Amy, like I think throughout her whole crew, she's always had that And I don't know if she does it deliberately, and I don't know if you just I'm assuming it comes naturally for her.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think she's putting it on. But I know a couple of my matest kind of have that as well. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: It might be who they listen to, who they're influenced by throughout their career. But if it works for them, it works them.
Speaker 3: Like you know, Amy obviously has an awesome career, and there's an audience there that that love what she does, that.
Speaker 1: Loves Maybe it makes her sound more universal, I mean global. Maybe you know, the music is more accessible if that. If that's the case, EXE, what could you offer as advice to people who would want to do this show? Like, now that you've gone through the whole experience, do you have any advice on how to do it?
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess yeah.
Speaker 3: I ran a couple of the contestants from last year and asked for advice, And now that I've done it, honestly, I was going into it very skeptical and like very like, oh, I don't know if it's the right thing to do, But honestly, like after doing it, like I don't see any issues in doing the show at all if you're an honest like me, I was very like, oh, you know, I want to dress like I want I want to address myself. I want to play the guitar. I want to do the songs that I want to do. But then it's like, why don't just try not playing the guitar and why do you just try this song? Wan need to try away in this And it's like then it.
Speaker 2: Forced upon you.
Speaker 3: They just say try it because obviously they want you to be comfortable. They're not all horrible humans, They're like, they're all very very kind. I personally have learned so much about myself, Like I didn't This is my first like Chemical POMPEII, I had no guitar and that was the first time I've been on a massive stage without a guitar and by myself. I can only have a band with me, like the being behind me and the best band in Australia. And it's like, I've learned so much about myself. I didn't know I could do that and I've never tried, but now.
Speaker 2: And I could do it. So one thing is I've learned a lot about myself, and two is like.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've gained an amazing sort of following as well that of people that are interested, genuinely interested.
Speaker 2: In what I do and me as an artist.
Speaker 3: And I think I've gained a lot of positive things from this show. At this stage now, I haven't experienced anything negative. I mean I haven't been able to serve for a while. That's the only negative thing I think about. And you're away from your family and friends, you get a bit isolated, and that side is tough. Honestly, it's just it's just like amazing exposure and good experience and the learning experience, and all you got to think about is contracts and stuff like that. Just make sure you read the contracts through. You know, you are signed with management and Sony.
Speaker 1: If you win, well maybe you also have Kyle sandy Lands mobile number and you can go one of those wild Coachella to us that he was talking about.
Speaker 2: That'd be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you get to on a pass super we're in like a yacht with the Kyle that that was cool. So you get to do a lot of cool stuff. And I mean it is stressful. You got something like I found out I was through on Tuesday and then on Saturday I had to perform a new song again. So like you've got to be mentally prepared. Don't do it if you play five gigs and you think you're having all right voice and you know you're just just coming into it. I think, just just give yourself a bit of time because it is a lot, and you need to know how to manage yourself once you're out of the show, you know, because there's no one holding your hand once you're out. You need to know how it all works. And I've been doing it since I was sixteen is about six years now, and I think that's how like the six year experience has helped me kind of push through this. And you know, I'm not devastating on leaving because I get to work on myself.
Speaker 2: Now, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, guys, Sebastian's reached out to Ripley to mentor him. Maybe there's another artist in Australia that's going to want to mentor you, and mentorships are so important as well.
Speaker 2: I'd love that. That would be really really cool.
Speaker 4: I hope I.
Speaker 2: Hope someone does.
Speaker 3: I've been sort of run solo managing and promote myself for the last six years, so it's like to have helping hand.
Speaker 2: It always be nice.
Speaker 1: Just get Shannon Nol to do it, because we could bring that rivalry back, you know what I mean, like everyone would find that's a good rivalry. Who do you think is going to win?
Speaker 2: Like one person? I'll give you my top three?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I just want who you'd think is going to win, not who your best friend is or who is the best boys or has the best personality. Who's going to take this out?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think I've been seeing a lot of buck it's a girl's year, it's girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of the All the Girl was just amazing. You know. I think it's a topic.
Speaker 3: I think it's between I think it's between Amy and I can't figure on it.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of those two girls.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll take that from you. The last question I asked is something that everyone gets asked when they do my podcast, and that is what's something from behind the scenes, something we didn't get a chance to see. If your time on Australian Idol kind of like it behind the scenes secret I guess from you.
Speaker 3: Behind the scenes secret, I don't know, but it's pretty out there a like honestly, like it's like you're there at the studio all day and then your home and you're.
Speaker 2: Just full asleep because you're so tired. I guess.
Speaker 3: I mean before I sund Chemical, who I saying Chemical?
Speaker 2: This lighting?
Speaker 3: This lighting League came crashing down on me, on me and Amy. So that wasn't that wasn't That wasn't fun. But honestly, that was because an audience member was leaning on something like it's like it's no big deal, like it's okay, but that I think that kind of threw me off my performance for Chemical a bit.
Speaker 1: But that just rattles that would rattle me.
Speaker 2: It's okay, everyone was okay.
Speaker 3: No one was like, no one was bally injured or anything like that, and it was just it was.
Speaker 2: Just an accident. That's something that happened perform my performance and no one knew.
Speaker 3: But you just got to It's like that show like even if you get you know, something happens, you just got to play through it.
Speaker 1: A It's like even if your pants catch on fire, you're going to keep singing.
Speaker 3: So it's like, all right, sorry that happened, but yeah, you got to sing next and there's yeah, so it's all good.
Speaker 2: So it just cop it to the head and keep going.
Speaker 1: Well, mate, I absolutely loved you on the show and I actually loved chatting with you today. I'm certainly going to be in your audience and seeing what you do with this. I'll keep my eye out for your name and a festival or wherever you're performing. I just want to wish you the best of luck with this whole thing.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. The tool will be announced sooner. I will promote it on my social as well.
Speaker 3: So I want everyone that enjoys what I did to come to a show, you know, like I just wanted to have party with everyone and just have fun and share some songs and have a good time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, thank you so much for having me brother.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing, so good. Really happy to be able to have that chat with Tyler this morning and talk to me about his Australian idol journey. Plenty of the one packed there, much like TJ, who's coming up next. We're going to talk about he's rearranging of John Farnham's song You're the Voice, which would have been pretty daunting, amongst other things. To sit back and relax and enjoy part two of today's chat. I am such a big fan. I think you did such a great job on this show.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. That really means you're.
Speaker 1: Probably the most original artist that we've ever seen on Australian Idol. I have to ask you, how did this opportunity come up for you?
Speaker 4: I got hit up last year being like these auditions and I was like, I don't know, they don't know this shows for me, and then I ended up like doing it. You know, my talk to my family of course about like is this the right show? Should I go on a show I got a talent or the voice, you know? And then it was like, ultimately this seemed like the best place to showcase my talent.
Speaker 1: Well, I kind of do think that's a great spot to start, because I always wonder why people choose certain shows, and I do think that Australian Idol does suit you better because you know, with the voice, we're relying on a specific we're relying on them turning a chair for a voice, where with this show, I feel like we're allowing people's personality to come out and for audiences to get to know your character a little bit more. So, I think you've done the right job. I think you've picked the right show.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Yeah, And like this was a place where I could go against the cookie cutter image of like you just come on the show. You start off your song, are slow, and then admitt and then you're belt at the end, which is usually what the top twelve is at the stage at least. And I feel like I was happy that I was more than that. I was an artist who came on ben wheneveryone else was arresting. I was spending my time like planning my set design, doing my stage part, my lighting, talking about what outfits are one aware, and then talking to the band. You know, I was involved in those practices and so much more than just singing for me, So I'm happy I got to shake stuff up and just bringing completely unique thing. I feel like I'm the first to do this on your own, and I hope I'm not the last. I can't wait to see the next self producing girl come on and she just does everything, you know, like, I'm excited for that.
Speaker 1: I think you're a trailblazer because I think you have opened the door for people who might have thought that the idol isn't for them. I want to know what sort of music you grew up listening to and what sort of it had inspired you, and the reason why I ask you. This is because we saw you sort of blowing up pop songs. We saw you blowing up versions of pop songs on this show, so it felt like you knew all of these songs. But I it still made me wonder what you'd grown up listening to, what sort of music you like?
Speaker 4: I like everything, and I tell people I will listen to anything that's not Satanna quassia music because I just love every single genre I come across. I grew up with the with the very fruit salad like mixture when I was a kid. You know, my parents used to play We start off listening to Kirk Franklin in the morning. Then we'd be listening to Bonjo with an Ac DC, then Bob Marley, then Tupac, then Beggie. Then we're going way to decide or listen to like country. So there was like never just one like artist I was listening to, like all my references and from in a suerio session, I'll be like, yeah, now give me like a guitar like Kirk Cook, but now I want like since like Kevin Parker, you know, like I go back now round like Kanye, you know, like I never just sit with one thing and I was like, what was how come everyone doesn't matter what journal you listen to? Why do you like listening to each one of the like each artist from that genre has a song which surpasses the word genre. And that's because they were in the same boat and ars where they grubb listening to everything, and they added elements from like different genres. You don't realize this is a listener, but you've been tricked. There's drums from country, and there's the man's from rock, and then there's vocals from hip hop in this song. And that's why every single person likes it. And I feel like, growing up, I always wanted to make music like that, where you're four years old, you've come out of your mom's boomb and you love it, or you're at your deathbedd and you're still loving it like and I feel like I brought that to the show. I was flipping songs that were for like the oldies and bringing it to the new, younger generation. I love music, and I love being able to listen to everything and put it into sounding palatable for everybody.
Speaker 1: I think everyone watching the show could see that you took risks as well, which I think makes these sorts of shows more interesting for us. As opposed to just getting up and singing song after song, you gave something of a variety. I think, what song did you enjoy the most singing on this show? And is that the sound that we're going to be seeing more of when you release your music?
Speaker 4: Like the one I enjoyed the most was definitely my audition because I had the most input at that stage because I got to choose the song every round. I got way more like input in terms of how I wanted it to sound because I was making the beat and everything. But that was the first and only time I really got to choose what I performed, so i'd be more of that alternative R and B sound. I'm not a hip hop but I don't know when they started branding me as that. I was like, I've never said that make hip hop. I make alternative R and B. So I feel like that audition and and you're the voice you'll see me bounce between the two. As an artist, I want to make You want to make music that you can drive to late at night after you've been dumped, and you can cry too. And I also want to make music that you can play as a football team before you get onto the pitch feeling out.
Speaker 1: That's a variety. I mean, how scary was it? You just mentioned John Farnham and singing that version of the voice. That must have been kind of scary to do in front of Australia, considering that it is, you know, the unofficial Australian anthem.
Speaker 4: It was exciting. It's a song that deserves to be heard by the new generation. And so many people my age and younger hate that song. They're just like, I don't like it when my parents play that, Like, you know, the old people are getting too drunk at the barbecue when that song comes on and you're ready to just leave me. You're ready to leave the cookout.
Speaker 1: And already mom and dad enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you hear that a Metallica and the CDC someone, you're just like, all the kids are leaving, you know. They want to listen to a lot nas X and all that whatnot. So I was like, you know what, I want to trick my generation and to listen to the song that deserves to go past generations to me add things they like, I know, they love it away. So they love sneers, They love all these new sounds and I love John Farlom. I've watched out documentary so much and seeing what he had to go through to convince people, and you went through exactly what I went through. I was like, I'm going to go through what you went through to give your song the respect that it deserves, because it disserves to continue being played on rotation. I like both versions. I love this.
Speaker 1: I just want to know how long it took to get that arrangement, because you know you did so much to change it and I don't know, but this goes to show how much I'm not a singer. I feel like for me, I would do that arrangement and understand it, but then once I'd start performing it live, I'd somehow start slipping back into the original arrangement of that. You know, how long did it take to pull all of that together?
Speaker 4: It took I'm not going to lie. It took ages. I did not sleep that week, I did not get any rest. That was the version I performed was version seven point four. I do I work in versions, and I'll go up to like eight, I'll go one point one point three point eight and this is like, this is let me explain how it goes I make the version, I send it to music team. Music teams like, nah, I say, send it back their version. Nah, I sent my new version. We go back and forth, we sit down together, the we have a writing sech We're like, okay, we're a version of five now, and we can't please everyone. I remember I'm needing, like I can't please everyone. What can I do to make it palatable to the young generation but also respect the older generation. I'll keep the choruses the same, but everything else I'll change up. And I was like, okay, cool. Version six came through and I'm working on them, like, this might sound stupid. How about I can I can give more respect. Let's add the bagpipes. So I add the backpipes and I sampled them. I remember Will's face as he plays it how it is, and I sample it and pitch it up make it sound a little bit weird because I'm a producer. I remember his face being because he's like the world champion bagpipe player and he's like, what are you doing to my play? You can see that look on his face, and I'm just like, it's crazy looking. At the first version, which was a Kevin Parker Taynam Powler like slowed sonic version with like acoustic guitars, was campfire energy, post malone energy. It was real slow, but it wasn't performable. And then go into this black skinhead type seven point four version which is formerable and has way more energy. So it was a very crazy journey.
Speaker 1: It felt like putting on leather pants and going to a club. For me, that's what I thought, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, literally, I was like, I don't know if this was like if everyone's going to like this. There's a marker for people who are going to like this, there's the people who are going to be like, who does he think he is?
Speaker 1: Well, no one wants to see me on leather pants, but I still think it's very worth taking the risk. Did you hear from John Farnham? Did you hear anything from John or John's family about your version?
Speaker 4: Not yet, but hopefully I do. Like whether he likes it or doesn't like it, at the end of the day, I made you feel something, you know, and I feel we'll.
Speaker 1: Get him on the phone now call him. I grew up my dad was good friends with John Farnham, so he had a holiday house next to our house out in the country, and I was so young when I met him the first time that I didn't care about fame. I didn't care about someone being popular, so I used to call him Johnny Fardam. I think I was four and my dad was driving over to John's house one day and he said to my brother, and I have one of you kids called John Farnham John Fardham to his face. Then you're not getting any pocket money.
Speaker 4: And that's a big deal when you're a kid. Ocker money is your lively.
Speaker 1: I now think back to it and I think about, you know, how big he is, and that I would spend at that time with him. It all just seems surreal, doesn't seem like it really happened.
Speaker 4: That's the thing is, like you have no idea who someone is, especially as such a young age. When you look back, you're like, oh my gosh, I was literally with the living, breathing.
Speaker 1: Legend, legend loving. The judges went on a real rollercoaster, I think with you, and you know they they were obviously talking to you and giving you constructive criticism, but Marsha kept talking about you needing to sing more. What what did you take of Marsha and that particular critique.
Speaker 4: Well, it's hard to sing more when I'm being given rap songs and then being expected to sing them like every week, and I'm like, guys, I'm not a I'm not a rapper. I'm not a hip hopper. Imgal Turnavi Rom made it clear my audition that this is my style. But then you get our email of what song is singing and it's a rap song, and I'm like, cool, do you know what's going to happen. I'm going to have to do work my butt off to make this Singapore and even if there's only so much you can do to a rap song to make it Singapore. And then I'm going to get feedback from the judges saying you need to sing more, and I'm like, well, it's not it's not my fault.
Speaker 1: It kind of well like at times they didn't know what to do with you.
Speaker 4: No, that's the thing, and it helped me realize that I was trying to be put into a box, and a box that makes sense for mainstream when I'm not that kind of artist, like you said, trail bread blazers. A word I've been hit with so much on this journey is that Australia is a little bit behind when it comes to the music industry and what we do compared to the global aspect. So my goal is to be the first and the only teaching that.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 4: I love my uniqueness. I feel like my goal is to make it globally and then bridge that gap for Australia. I'm want to come back and then help make those opportunities here. I really feel a burden in my heart to really bridge that gap between Australia and the international market.
Speaker 1: You know, Teaj I was talking to Tyler earlier about the use of the American accent within singing, and it's really interesting. We can hear different accents and a lot of your music. What's the decision making process when it come to some of those intonations? Are you sometimes trying to sing with an Australian accent? Are you sometimes trying to sing with an American accent?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Is there a decision or a conscious understanding of what you're doing with your accents? At times?
Speaker 4: I think it's just because I listen to a lot of them both, like Australian and American music. Plus my normal accent is like a weird I've got my dad's American accent. And then of course I grew up in Australia, so either way and like those different wangs come in and out. But I'm also very like subconsciously aware that the more American need like accent is what goes around globally because America sets the standard musically when it comes to like the accent. When you hear that, you're more likely to listen to it. Sometimes it can be a turn off when you have like a hardcore British accent or qie or harcore Australian accent to the world. To us it's normal inspire. But because I want to be a global artist, I have to be of course like aware of those things.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of you know, press should be on these shows and sort of you mentioned this as well, about sort of being a square peg being fitted into a circle hole. I don't think that's the right saying, but anyway, I think you understand what I'm trying to say. What do you think about other artists next year being in a similar position to you, being a little bit left of center but still being something quite extraordinary. Is Australian idol the right place for those young people to go and take their work.
Speaker 4: It wasn't before me, but now after me, I feel like it is considering. I made it to the finals doing what I do. I walked through this door so I could stand right the doorway and keep the door open. And I hope to see little girls next year who are like, yeah, I'm an all rounded artist, you know, like just doing what I did. I want to see a whole generation of people coming and following my footsteps.
Speaker 1: And I was actually going to wear my hair in two separate top knots, you know, EJ style, but I thought I'd be done for cultural appropriation. But I'm definitely I'm definitely going to do it at some point, maybe in the privacy of my own home.
Speaker 4: I'd love to see you do. Hey, if Prince Flegg could do it Star Wars that I feel like you could easily pull it off.
Speaker 1: At this point of the competition, who do you think is going to win? Not who you think is maybe your best friend or even who has the best voice, Like who do you think is going to walk out of Australian Idol as the winner of twenty twenty four?
Speaker 4: And I've been asked this question a lot, and I feel like for me. It's between Amy and and Dylan. I feel like Dylan is the most Dylan and Amy are the most consistent.
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I was well rounded and in terms of like the population who watch Australian Idol, that's what they're looking for, you know, They're looking for that person who can take you on a journey and then bout at the end and keep you engaged. So I feel like those those two are differently the ones too.
Speaker 1: I feel like they're going to make it to the finale. I feel like that's what we're gearing ourselves up for. I think people will riot if that doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: People will riot, people write it wouldn't relliant image and that. I strongly thought Imagen was going to win this show. I was from the day I met her, and just because of her vocal technique, she's definitely was the most skilled vocalist out of all of us.
Speaker 1: It's just proof that there's more to this particular type of competition than just a voice, do you know what I mean? Like, there's there's a lot going on. I mean, Marshall was saying in the media yesterday, you know people are voting, this is a lot of votes that are coming through and people are voting for the artists that they want to win. But there's other variables when it comes to this type of a competition. And also you know when Idol was originally in Australia and it came out in twenty twenty two, you know, we've come a long way I think since then and the way in which the types of people who vote for shows.
Speaker 4: Like this one hundred percent. People need to understand that it's called Idle, not Australians thinger, it's about who as an artist. The whole point of this show is to find the next big artist. So it's easy for a label to do it. It's so hard for a label to turn an amazing singer into an artist because it's like the singer doesn't even know what they do. They spend their whole lecture singing covers, so they don't even know what they want to do, They how to address themselves, they don't know how to write. Or wasn't this year one made the top twelve? So you crazy? Was that you had a a bup of artists? You have people or everyone had their own full package of different things that they were offering. So I was like, it's so easy or able to pick any one of us and we could start dropping it.
Speaker 1: Tough competition, that's for sure. I think last year feels like young talent time compared to this. Before you go, I have to ask you, what is something from behind the scenes, something we didn't get a chance to say. Tyler actually just said that a light nearly fell on him, which I thought was interesting for one of his performances. When you walk away from this experience and you look back, what's something from behind the scenes that you'll remember.
Speaker 4: How hard working everyone is. I'm so grateful to the crew and the team that I worked with to be able to turn around my crazy ideas in three days. It was like ridiculous. I don't like to have this kind of production. Insane. No, I never really got to see what I did behind the scenes, Like when everyone else was literally resting, partying and everything, I was in my hotel room working on my live arrangement, tapping up my stage, pot typing up what I want, styling wine, tapping up all of that, and then having meetings with every department, Like I never got to rest o what's what? Like I had to work four times as that as everyone because I didn't have a voice like everybody else, and because I wasn't getting the single songs I could show off my voice. So yeah, I wish people had gotten to see that sign and got into meet the people who deserve their credit, Andy the sound guy, and you know, and Andy the girl who styled me, and all those different people in Erica and Leally like Mitch, so many dope people that people wanted to get to know.
Speaker 1: This well, I think you're just so amazing. I think we've only just seen the tip of the iceberg with what it is that you can do. I think Australia is going to be in your audience for a very long time. I thoroughly enjoyed watching you take these risks on this show. I think that the show themselves should be very happy that we've been able to say a new story. And yeah, I think you should be very proud of what you've done to this show.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I'm just so happy that I got to do something for the dreamers. Like all I've been saying all the week is literally dream big enough to take out of your small town so you can become big enough to feed them, and stop saying is just something I want to live by. I just want to inspire generation. I want to become an artist who just does more than perform and make music, like I genuinely keep telling people, I want to build hospitals. I want to make a clothing brand and put clothing people who come afford them, and just do so much more, Like this is so much bigger than me, and I hope I just really make a positive impact on the span. Oh.
Speaker 1: I think you will. I think you will.