Speaker 1: Flexen fromes I'm cater cater Flex and Froomes Big Icon Energy Podcast.
Speaker 2: Recorded live at Studios three oh one in Sydney. Hello, munchkins, it's podcast time.
Speaker 1: We are here.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, what is that lion? Has anyone noticed that? Has that been there a whole time? Staring at you our winners?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: That's the scariest thing I've ever seen is the one overhears all?
Speaker 1: Nah, just the one. Where'd you get that from? Guys?
Speaker 3: It was literally in the beautiful deck. They showed us what the stage would look like.
Speaker 1: I'm not preparing.
Speaker 2: Today we are talking to our very special winner, Maddie, who came to our live show recording here for Bonds Powered by Bonds Big Icon Energy. She's gonna tell us a story about how she was almost sold for an animal, a desert based animal.
Speaker 1: Desert based. It's a camel.
Speaker 3: Hey, did you ever do that that quiz in high school?
Speaker 1: Figure out how many camels you were? No? How did they?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: It's like a I'm so confused because every time I talk about my high school experience, it was like that didn't.
Speaker 1: Happen because you're an alien. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there's this website you go on and it measures just basically your attraction, but the measurement is how many camels you're worth.
Speaker 1: And they'll ask you a bunch of things like what's.
Speaker 3: Your hair color, what's your weight, what's your height, like how many people if you kissed or whatever, and then I'll be like, oh, thirty five camel.
Speaker 1: Who's very competitive. That's really awful. I think it's quite flattering. Actually, well, you're worth.
Speaker 2: One camel, Maddie, do without what you will?
Speaker 1: Here we go at this rate.
Speaker 3: I'm so sure that if I ever met Mark Zuckerberg, you'd be like, what is your problem? Because every week you're saying something about me, and to be fair, saying something about your creation, not you personally. But here's think got some inside goss. And by that I mean I just like saw a news article that said that Instagram's going to introduce adding music to your profile, and now all the things that I think are on the list of importance that is so low. But this news got leaked like it wasn't an official announcement. So I'm kind of like, what is happening in big social that something so incidental and insignificant is causing such a buzz. I don't know, but I feel like the girlies are getting off social media in t minus ten years. It's just not hitting the same.
Speaker 1: Real nothing is hitting the same.
Speaker 3: But I also feel like this is just aging because when the last time you did something for the first time, adolescence and young adulthood is like always so feral because everything is.
Speaker 1: New, new and new and new.
Speaker 3: Bibo was new, my Space was new, TikTok was new, and everything just gets stale.
Speaker 2: Yeah too quickly? Who he had MySpace? Okay, not that many?
Speaker 1: That doesn't well enough.
Speaker 2: Well, we're twenty four, so we were too young to have MySpace.
Speaker 1: What would your song be? I don't see.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing, because I don't know, and I don't like feeling the pressure. I can't take the pressure. That's what we need less of. Do you know what social media needs less of? It's the curation. We don't need more stuff to do on profiles.
Speaker 1: I need more ways to snoop on strangers.
Speaker 3: At one point in time, you could easily be like on someone's on a stranger's Instagram, not even know how you got there.
Speaker 2: You to do that these days' probably been on someone's Instagram here.
Speaker 1: To be honest, you just go You're blipping around. Someone follow watches the story, you go book.
Speaker 3: What are they like?
Speaker 1: Yeah? See, you can't have that anymore. I want that. I want to be a voyeur.
Speaker 3: I don't want to make my profile more exciting for me to not know who's experiencing it. I want to be in Yeah, do you know what I need? I was co managing a friend's grinder. How do I explain this? Like like we were sitting at the bar and I was like, Oh, you're on your grinder, let me see what's going on, so I can, you know, ad a few tips or whatever. It's the best app Ever, something about location based interaction is so hot and sexy, Like I can just see who's in here. That's what I want social media to be. I wonder what the guy at the fish and Chip shop is doing? Show me his profile?
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, well there's anyway. I feel like I come across the random ast tiktoks and it's like as close as I'm going to get to it to come across the dude from the fish.
Speaker 1: And Chip shop.
Speaker 2: However, Flex and I've both used an app called Raya Dating app.
Speaker 1: Anyone here on Raya or anyone heard of Raya Humble flex. Oh, it's not a Humble, it's a flex.
Speaker 2: It's a flex anyway, this dating site, you put photos up, but you also have to choose a song, so people click onto your profile and it's like a carousel with music. That's the closest we've got to it, and I honestly think that works quite well. Incorporating audio visual elements.
Speaker 1: It's not enough. It's not enough.
Speaker 3: I think I just want to be in the void like VR five D, you know, big icon energy. Now we have a very special story from someone we spoke to you last week. If you tuned in, you know it's Maddie. She won tickets to companies and shout out to Maddie. It's on us, the winners and us or not.
Speaker 1: She got a competition.
Speaker 2: She flew here from Melbourne, her first ever time in the city of Sydney. That is a massive Have you noticed it's really humid here?
Speaker 1: Huh oh yeah, it is why it's because it's so different to Melbourne. I'm from Melbourne.
Speaker 2: Originally, I'll always talk about Melbourne.
Speaker 1: I thought that was a bit no, no, no. The first time you come to Sydney. Like what I thought. Sydney is a city.
Speaker 2: It's like super tropical compared to Melbourne and Hobart.
Speaker 1: You said it's humid. Humid.
Speaker 2: Oh the humid it in the air is like completely different, particularly at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought I was in my Hong Kong or something. I'm not the weather talk anyway.
Speaker 3: Anyway, the voice you heard is Maddie. Everyone say hey, Maddie, Hey, nay.
Speaker 1: And You've got a very interesting story.
Speaker 2: So when everybody put in a little like I want to come to the show, did the form fill out? Everybody had to share a story and I'll produce a Brooks shared Maddie's story because it was the most iconic cooked take it away, Maddie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'll set the scene.
Speaker 4: I'm in the Middle East for my first ever trip overseas.
Speaker 1: Do you want to face off or do you want to face everyone else?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Come up, yeah, take my seat? Really or not?
Speaker 2: Or not or not?
Speaker 1: So I'm in the Middle East.
Speaker 4: I'm on a UNI trip, first time overseas, and we go to Petra, which is really like this historical site. It's like desert, right. The essences that I get separated from everyone. I'm by myself and I'm like, I'm just gonna sit down on this rock and hope that I see someone from UNI.
Speaker 1: Wait, how does that happen? So sorry to interrupt.
Speaker 4: Oh, everyone was like walking up these like you know those thousand steps, like let's get to the top.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, sorry, not doing it. I'm just gonna sit down. So I did that, and I thought somebody will come past.
Speaker 4: No, like it was it was taken at all, Like nobody came past, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, this is it.
Speaker 4: So then a tour guide had spotted me a couple of times, like taking this tour through, and he was like are you lost?
Speaker 1: And I was like yes, help. He was like, I'll take you back to the start. I was like, oh, thank you so much for me. How long had it been at this point, like forty minutes?
Speaker 4: Oh no, like I would say over an hour. Like I was just sitting there like hoping for the best. Any water, No, my friend had water and I likely walked away, so I didn't have any water.
Speaker 1: No sax. I did have sax. Yeah, Oh would you have chips? Chips? Yeah, you didn't need him, because then you need water, you get it. Okay, yeah, you get it.
Speaker 4: So the tour guide finds me and he's like, do you want to take you back to the start of the whole tour and I was like, yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 1: Surely somebody will be there.
Speaker 4: So we're walking back and as we're walking back, there's like lots of camels you can ride throughout Petra like you pay money, and there's a group of guys with a group of camels, and one of the guys says something to the tour guide in Arabic, which I don't understand, so I'm like, please translate, and the guy says the tour guy says, oh, he asks for your hand in marriage in exchange for his camel, and I was like, I really think my mom needs a camel.
Speaker 1: He could, but this I was like, thank you. Though he took me back to the start.
Speaker 4: Like more hours passed, like it would have been like five o'clock by the time I saw someone, and we started in the morning, so it was like it was a long day. And then the tour guy asked me to come back to his family home and have tea with his ten brothers and sisters, and I was like, again, they'll kick me out of you the hospitality.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, this is the man and he left you hotspot off his friend as well, Yeah what about.
Speaker 2: Hey what sorry hotspot? Yeah ah, that's a big deal in the desert.
Speaker 1: Life.
Speaker 4: So I finally spotted someone, like a group from a UNI tour.
Speaker 1: We went back to the hotel.
Speaker 4: I debriefed and was like what was that essentially, and then my friend who had all the water came back and she was like filthy on me because I walked away with the food.
Speaker 1: You I was.
Speaker 4: They don't like, you don't even understand what's happened to me today, Like I nearly got sold for a camel.
Speaker 1: It's not good. This is cooked. Two you questions. Your story didn't have any emotion in it, so I want to know, like were you crying? Were sad? Were angry? Were you fearful?
Speaker 4: I don't really process emotions like when I'm going through something in the moment, So another one over here until the end of the day when I was like starting to get an emotional like wow, this could have really gone south, and I was just kind of like hanging out hoping for the best. So yeah, I wasn't feeling any type of way I was just sending messages when I got the hot spot, being like, if I don't make it.
Speaker 2: Ripe and your friend? Is this your friend next to you that you brought what's your name?
Speaker 4: Am?
Speaker 1: But were you the friend in question?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, yeah, yeah that was me and I got the chips.
Speaker 1: What happened with you and your friend afterwards? Was there a rift?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Bad?
Speaker 4: Like we did not survive that trip. I'm very unfortunately, and I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: They do say don't travel with your friends or pick a good friend to do it.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing, I feel like, like I'm not a nihilist right, Like, I don't definitely don't want to go I don't want to anytime soon, and I really want to be immortal for various reasons we won't get into now.
Speaker 1: But what concerns me.
Speaker 3: Is that I don't think I have a very keen survival instinct, and like it's not just that I am not aware of what is a dangerous situation. I just feel charmed. I just feel like, oh, that wouldn't happen. Things happen to me all the time, like it's always chaos. If you saw my trip to Ghana, you would know. It's like I missed flights and then like visa issues and so and so, and I'm like, oh, you know, it's like this is out of the ordinary. It doesn't happen. So my concern if I was in a situation like that is I'm kind of like, oh, it'll fix itself, but it's not gonna me get deeper and deeper literally, And I keep thinking like that could have gone so bad, Like what if I always think, like whenever I'm always traveling, My mom's like, you need to be aware of like travel scams, Like you need to do your research. You need to figure out, like what is a common travel scam so you don't get sucked in because you know, like I went to Milan and you know, you know, went to the famous buildings and you see the guys with the bracelets. You're like, oh, you want to try on this brace You're like, oh my god, cool a bracelet. And it's like okay, now it's gonna cost you thirty year. You're like, no, I don't want a bracelets, Like why you're wearing it so to your breathlet? Like that happened to me and I knew what was gonna happen, and I was like, oh, but I'm so flattered, he said, I was pretty you know so, But in this instance, like it could have been so much more. It could have been like a like a everyone trying to you know, I'm not evenna say it, no, I am trafficking, could have been trafficking.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you need to take these things seriously and listen. It doesn't just happen in overseas countries. I'll tell you so very quickly. My friend and I who I went to Europe with. Side note, everyone's got that friend that weird things seem to happen to you together, traumatic instances, scary close calls.
Speaker 1: If you're the friend, If you're the friend this one, you put it all the way off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, you're the friend that brings the chaos or is around the chaos.
Speaker 3: Hearty behavior very well.
Speaker 2: I was with my friend who is you? And who is who is this gentleman?
Speaker 1: What's your name? Oh? Pardon? You went nice to me. We went to Frankie's in the city.
Speaker 2: Anyone he had been to Franky's, but you puddle up great pizza joint. I'm pretty sure they're going to demolish it for a tunnel. Not sure has that already happened? No, okay, might go there late at night. And we went down. There's like a secret bathing in this restaurants. It's like a dingy underground thing with like rock music. Anyway, there's like this secret bar. Back first time I'm hearing about the secret, but obviously I'm going in. I'm very excited. Her and I sit down at the bar. A woman starts speaking to us, which not at all ordinary. We go out, we like love to chat to people, and she's like, oh my god, You've got to come to this pool party tomorrow. I'm having a pool party tomorrow. We think, oh yeah. Then we look over and she's with a man. What's it called when there's a bunch of women?
Speaker 1: Am a harem? A harem?
Speaker 2: Is that when there's a heap of women just generally like congregating with a man.
Speaker 1: Potentially there was a situation we need everyone to have a mic. Yeah, And she keeps going back and I'm thinking, what's that about. How do you know it's a harem?
Speaker 2: Because well, I'm just assuming.
Speaker 3: That is my favorite erotica to read, by the way, Reverse Haram it's like one one girl, five guys.
Speaker 1: They're not all rooting relaxed.
Speaker 2: I just date, but continue we're seeing something happening where they keep going over to this guy and he keeps like summoning women into this room, and we realize what's happening. She is trying to recruit us to go to this pool party. And like she was this woman who I like, blink twice if you need help, Like it was na it was full lunch.
Speaker 1: She's like, it's in.
Speaker 2: Ultramo tomorrow, Like you've got to come.
Speaker 1: It got so bad.
Speaker 2: Now my memory is very hazy. I wasn't even gone. I just have like memory loss. It got so scary that I went up to the staff at Frankie's and I said, you need to call the police.
Speaker 3: See the way you're telling the story, though it sounds like super fun, you're like, oh, they just think I'm pretty We're gonna go to a poor party tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Like what about? It was so scary.
Speaker 2: It was the way that she was describing it, in the way that I think she was trying to call for help but didn't know how. Yeah, it was bad, Like for me to go to a venue and say very seriously got to the point where we just had to stay with her and be like, help, help, I think something is happening. Of course everyone's like chillin' y scary, So yeah, it happens.
Speaker 1: It must happen. Yeah, it must happen under our hoses. I'm so sure. I have no idea you're talking about. What is that? We'll call We'll call my friend up next week and I'll get her side of the story. Please someone else you can give us memory now, fixie.
Speaker 2: I am a b real stand Yeah.
Speaker 1: When b Reeal came out, I reckon it.
Speaker 2: Maybe you adopt, but I think it came out a year or so ago, or maybe two years ago, So I think it was like the thirteen year olds off on the early adopters, and then the rest of us band she's jumped on the bandwagon. So I probably started using it, you know, oh maybe March this year. Actually use it for a week, went off because obviously I didn't have any friends on it, and now plenty of people are back on it. Anybody here used be real? Oh wow, Oh.
Speaker 1: I reckon that's fifty Do you reckon that? That was Chloe percent.
Speaker 5: Maybe about yeah, bigger fine.
Speaker 1: Seems like nobody wants to pick aside these days?
Speaker 2: Who here likes it? Because I believe you can use something and not like it. So for example, yeah, Instagram love hate relationship, TikTok love hate relationship, LinkedIn love relationship, okay, Twitter hate relationship.
Speaker 1: Oh but I'm still.
Speaker 2: Going through looking if there's men cheese, there isn't features not in that intellectual circle Twitter, I know you have beef with it.
Speaker 1: Do you think any anything could change that?
Speaker 3: Could anything change the personal beeB have with be real? Probably not, only because I think that there's nothing wrong with the actual format or the function. But the app is trying to present itself as the antidote to everything you hate about social media, so you're not meant to spend too much time on it. It's, you know, not hypercure. It's capturing the moment for what the moment is. You're connecting with your real personal friends in your circle. Laddi dadi da, I get it. But then in practice it's like a gamified at just like.
Speaker 1: The rest of them.
Speaker 3: The fact that you have to publish on the app to see any of your friend's content is an issue. The fact that in order to access any of your analytics. Like, for example, if you take a screenshot of my be real, I get a notification that says, oh, someone's taking a screenshot.
Speaker 1: If I want to find out who it.
Speaker 3: Is, I need to share this on my other social media profiles.
Speaker 1: Just let me see the stuff. Can you see it? If you share it else?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then I'll be like, Okay, it's rooms a screenshot. Do you see what I'm saying? This is way more insidious than any of the other platforms.
Speaker 1: And they're selling my data. Do you know what I'm saying. So these people have come through, they're kind of like, no where the good guys right, Like it's this.
Speaker 3: Free platform connect with your friends, like be honest and candid, only for them to essentially create an experience that is hyper exclusive, heaps curated because people like I'm waiting for my burial to go off. Hopefully it goes off right now so I can capture this really rare moment right now.
Speaker 1: It's just a mess.
Speaker 3: I think when people think about like social media is bad for you, we need to use less of it, I think we just need to use it better. And we can't use it better until we stop being in denial about how much we actually enjoy it, and.
Speaker 1: So something like be Real. They're like, no, this is just a practical way to use social media. Now it's not.
Speaker 3: It's as like superficial as the rest of it. Just be honest, be real. Huh.
Speaker 1: I can fight about it all day. I won't. But why do you like it so much?
Speaker 3: Because the thing about th me when it came out, she was like, no, this is the best, it's amazing, Like it's honest, it's like how people should be using the internet.
Speaker 1: And now you're flip flopping with our show.
Speaker 2: We both have to come to the table every week with a list of ideas, and look, sometimes a few ideas don't hit.
Speaker 1: I can't relate.
Speaker 2: But yet I've put my idea down and look, I've got to roll with it. So do I have anything else to really say about be Real? No, But here's a lesson in how to fly for an on the air segment. Okay, I'm gonna refute a few things that you just said.
Speaker 3: You don't refute your points because you are the one who said, like this is this is the best thing about social media. And granted I hold on, I'm paraphrasing. I'm paraphrasing you've granted. I feel like, you know, you don't know how you feel about something until you've use it for a little bit. But for me, the red flags are from day dot. Like as soon as I use the app, I was like, you don't see what they're doing to us.
Speaker 1: You don't see what they're doing to you.
Speaker 3: Like the thing about figuring out that Instagram is insidious, right, it crept up on us. We were like, oh, but we're enjoying this, right, Like I publish my stuff and you know, maybe it's a little bit insane to drive two hours to go to.
Speaker 1: A pink wall to take a photo, but like we're all doing it, right.
Speaker 3: This is community, and like maybe it's a bit weird that I am, like, you know, getting neurotic about like how to present myself, but like we're all neurotic, right right, Like and then after five, six, seven years, we develop a communal awareness about how it's cooked, and then we decide for ourselves. I'm going to you know, reconcile that incompatible truth and still use it comfortably, or I'm going to log off.
Speaker 1: Be real, it's fresh, it's new.
Speaker 3: We're taking everything we know about social media everything we know about, you know, presenting ourselves digitally and disregarding it for this new platform, like we don't know what they're trying to do to us. And like the Internet said, if the product is free, you are the product. Be real is like, how do you have a team of twenty and you don't monetize?
Speaker 2: Do I have a tame with twenty people? Huge to see you do any research? Always okay for me and you? Well, this is also where it differs. Did I ever say I think it's replacing anything on the Internet. No, But just me saying I like something puts me into the category of people that say this is a new Internet, this is new social media.
Speaker 1: I don't think be real is actually social media. I think you chat times we all saw that headline. Did they do it?
Speaker 3: The other times is like, don't look at be real like social media. Look at it like a word or it's a daily habit. Even worse, well, did you know I.
Speaker 2: Don't have a subscription to the New York Times.
Speaker 1: Cat me listen to this. I've gone through trauma with the New York Times.
Speaker 2: I was subscribed to them, thinking I'm doing my bit for journalism. Tried to cancel had to call them up in America obviously couldn't do that. Somehow I found a way to cancel it, but they're still billying me. I think it is just Snapchat, but for old people. I don't think young people are actually using be real snapchats stay young people like people.
Speaker 1: On twenty two. Oh.
Speaker 2: If you look at the amount of people that are still using apps, it goes like Facebook, Instagram, this this is old. Yeah, no, no, but this is every single everyone everyone. Just listenkay, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok creeping up real fast, then something else and then Snapchat, like Snapchat still has like thirty percent of the world uses Snapchat still.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: Every time I try to fact check, it's always wrong. But I just think it's basically like just like Snapchat, but a little bit more like sophisticated and new and using the two camera thing is something that we wouldn't have done in the past. But I'm sick of it also, so I'm over be real, What are you sick of it? Well, I went to Europe and I just stopped using it while I was over there, and now I just I've lost the touch.
Speaker 3: You see, like unpack that thought you went to Europe, and you stopped using b Real.
Speaker 2: I stopped using social media point blank.
Speaker 3: That's a lie because we saw free with Hero Trip, didn't we did?
Speaker 1: We not see that?
Speaker 2: How do we see that? I stopped scrolling? And I'm a big fat scroller these days. In our conclusion, can I just ask a really quick question. Put your hand up if you think you're going to be using be real next year anyway?
Speaker 1: One person? Okay?
Speaker 3: I love it, my king, Big Icon Energy in celebration of our first ever exclusive rare never been done before, Live Share recording Big Icon Energy, presented to you by Cata and Bonds.
Speaker 1: We're adding all things icons. Let's start off strong.
Speaker 3: I want to know what is the most iconic advice you've ever received.
Speaker 2: This is a new piece of advice that my grandma used to tell me. That's frog on the top hat. My dad's mum, very wise woman. She would say, if you're it's like you're reading from up there, she's in heaven or she's up somewhere. I mentioned rap irp olive. To not know what to do, it is to know what to do. So if you're not sure about something like if you're trying to make your mind up. Let's say you want to buy a top but you're not sure, don't do it.
Speaker 1: M that's actually like no answer is an answer. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll text ad for later in the show to ask him to completely repeat the exact words.
Speaker 1: But yeah, something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then, what would you say is the most iconic advice you've ever given?
Speaker 2: Well, when I was probably nineteen, I like, did this article.
Speaker 1: I don't remember what it was for, maybe UNI or something.
Speaker 2: And I said my best piece of advice was if it feels good, do it.
Speaker 3: That's like when I used to say, if someone tells you know you're talking to the wrong person.
Speaker 1: It's very amazing in early twenties. It definitely is.
Speaker 3: Best piece of advice I've been given recently is from my friend who plagiarized the TikTok in order to give it to me, But I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: At the time, I was mulling over a thought, a decision.
Speaker 3: That i'd made that I felt like I didn't make it well, like I just kind of impulsively did it like I do most things, but this one was like grating at me. I didn't tell her the specifics of it because, like, you know, not necessary. But she was just like, oh, if it's about obligation, just think would you rather live with the guilt or the resentment? And I was like huh, and she was like, I can't help you clarify because I don't have the situation. But then I felt I thought about it, and I was like, oh, okay, Well, the guilt of the situation is me feeling like I made a decision, I made a promise, I made a commitment that wasn't well thought out, so I didn't think of myself or the other person, and I feel obligated to do it, and the guilt of saying no is like hurting me and it's going to hurt them, right, But then I'm kind of like, EO, that feels bad. But then I'm kind of like, oh, what feels worse is like resenting the situation, because now I'm resenting myself, I'm resenting them, I'm resenting the situation.
Speaker 1: It all feels terrible.
Speaker 3: But I was like, I'd much rather live with the guilt and going back on my word than the resentment of knowing that I had the agency to do it, and I decided not to because there's something about it, Like I think that there are a lot of situations where we don't have any agency or so it feels like like some things you just can't pull out of. Life is not that simple, but other times it is.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if.
Speaker 3: It's like an egotistical thing or a narcissistic thing where you're like, oh my god, where is me?
Speaker 1: Where was me? Where was me? I'm so stressed that it's.
Speaker 3: So hard because I think that there is a power in simplifying stuff, not simplifying the way everybody sees it, but simplifying your attachment to it.
Speaker 1: Right, So sometimes just deciding to be like, you know what, I cooked it?
Speaker 3: Sorry, Like I know, I said I can, I can't. I know, I wouldn't. I know, I said I was going to. I like, I'm not going to. And then no, knowing that I've disappointed someone, I can live with that, knowing that I've disappointed myself. It's gotta be with me for ages, Like I'd rather like myself above all, or at least trust myself for myself, then for the benefit of someone who's gonna forget I exist in like T minus five years.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, sick right, And what's the best advice you've given?
Speaker 1: When you know better, you do better.
Speaker 3: So if you don't know, find the information and it goes with everything you know, Like I don't know how I should approach that situation, then like what information do you have? Go seek that out? You know, I don't know if what I did was right? What is going to help you figure that out? Go find that first and then circle back. Something so simple about like choosing to give yourself permission to be the decision maker and choosing to, like, you know, write your own narrative with conviction as opposed to just being like I'm an MPC and things happened to me, And what's NPC a non playable character?
Speaker 1: What does that mean? Bab's get on the PS.
Speaker 2: Five, I can't do the IPS two and then I check it.
Speaker 3: When you're playing a game and there are like people in the background that like you can you can see, but you can't really interact with.
Speaker 1: Like, don't be that person for your own life.
Speaker 3: Don't just look at your life like a voyeur and wait for things to kind of just happen and then resent that fact. Choose something even if you're choosing wrong. Cool, Next, a minute. Flex there's violence, you know what. I'm just trying out some new things. But yeah, anyway, do you know what's so crazy? What now that I feel things like a sensitive being, I'm like, oh yeah, I cannot hold this.
Speaker 1: For all of you.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry, Like we've all got to suffer. I was suffering alone. Now we can suffer together.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, what do you think? May you sensitive? Can't get into it? Okay, we'll do that next week on the show.
Speaker 3: Your favorite professional opinion have is a back again live show recording.
Speaker 1: You know how it is.
Speaker 2: When we first started the show, we'd say it's your favorite duo having.
Speaker 1: Been on the airwaves for airwaves for one week? Yeah, I stand with some humble pie. Anybody been seeing all of these information breaches? Put your hand up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Who who's a bit scared? Who's alert but not alarmed? That's a nice phrase, nice one, nice one.
Speaker 1: So that's overwhelmingly nos.
Speaker 3: Like if we had to put on a scale, Yeah, what is privacy?
Speaker 1: I don't want to say who cares? But if it's if it's you've been breach, you've been breached.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess we've been giving up our privacy on something like Facebook. We've been essentially doing like a mass survey for the first time in human history, putting out your birthday, putting out what you're thinking today, just forget about as friends exist.
Speaker 1: Censuses.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but that's a bit more like when you're in a census, you're like you have you can't give away like trivial information that paints more of a holistic picture of your personality.
Speaker 1: So we've had the optus breach. We've had. The most recent one is the Medicare breach.
Speaker 2: So someone's gotten into the system in Medicare, they've got our medical records. This is the one that made me think it's over fam What was I saying medibank?
Speaker 1: Oh was it? It wasn't Madycare, It was Medibank. Oh my god. So it's purely just people with medibank loser.
Speaker 2: I think, what are some other health health funds? Booper booper is HCF one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, were we got tramped?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, Well it got me thinking what breach.
Speaker 1: Would you be most concerned about?
Speaker 2: Would it be your health information, your wealth information, your I messages, your Facebook messages, what's the most you're scared about?
Speaker 1: Or your Google history? I don't know if I'm scared about any of them.
Speaker 3: I just don't feel like in twenty twenty two, I've been way more mindful of privacy or the illusion of privacy, just because I kind of lived my life in a very invincible way. Like I got a password manager this year, big time for me, because I was like, who cares? Like what can you find? But not just that, I feel like, what's the worst that could happened? But also like me as an individual, me worrying about what institutions should be taken care of is not saving me or helping me. I guess I would be kind of concerned if my bank was like, sorry.
Speaker 1: Details I'm missing, I don't know where we put them. I'd be concerned about that. But then it is what it is.
Speaker 3: Every platform, brand, client, institution has had, you know, a breach of some capacity, just not as big as this. So like you know, you've got a little notifications on the bottom of your chrome, like your past has been compromised.
Speaker 1: Well, the skip.
Speaker 2: Next breaches must happen in the government and stuff that we just don't know about. Yeah, Australia's privacy law is terrible. Is anyone here a lawyer none at all. You're a lawyer, do you know much about Australian privacy policy?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 2: There's lots of different types of law, isn't there. Yeah? Yeah, yeah, Well I would be most scared about my Facebook messages. They're telling about Facebook messages that make me extra feral, I think because like with I message, it's kind of like you have a thought and you send it out and it's not like instant messager, whereas Facebook it's like two instant that you get rabbied.
Speaker 1: Also, we've been using it for ten years and you can search it. You can see every single thing that you've sent.
Speaker 2: Like the indexing of the Facebook messager is probably the most brutal.
Speaker 3: That's funny because when you said to me that one time that you're scared you're gonna get canceled, I was like, what for?
Speaker 1: But then you being said of your Facebook messenger, what is in there? Yeah? You don't want to know. See.
Speaker 3: My thing is like I've really reconciled this idea that privacy as we know it is a myth, because I'm not sure that people are aware the extent that they're surveilled. Like I think people think they live quite like isolated lifestyles. Nobody sees me if I'm not publishing, or nobody sees me if I'm not making myself known. I was scrolling on TikTok the other day and there's this girl who has a series called Consensual Doxing, and it's all these people who are like, oh, you know, I don't post any of my information out there.
Speaker 1: You could never find me. And she's like, oh, very easily. It's like, you.
Speaker 3: Don't post on on TikTok, but you know you always comment on your husband's TikTok with heart. So I go into your page and see that you've got your school that you went to, and then I see it's.
Speaker 1: Just and she finds their house. Yeah you've seen this. She publishes it to show them how simple it is. So what you might want to do, and I did this last night.
Speaker 2: There's a website called porn like I've been pawned or You've been porn honed, poned p w ND basically type in information breach pawned website, check what's that ponn like owns pwned?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you? How else do you say it? Poned? Poned? So what you say it?
Speaker 2: One more time pawned like a prawn. Anyway, you can go check it out. I looked at mine the other day. It's like my Fitness Pal, all these different ones that I regret using. In twenty fifteen, Big Icon Energy, you've been listening to the Flex and Frooms Big Icon Energy podcast. For more, Cato and dab Or stream it on iHeartRadio Radio