Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Happy Monday, Precious little Goremulins, miss you dearly.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: We're chatting about our cult and our slogan. Plus people are mad at Drake, which is kind of unsurprising, but when you really think about it, completely surprising. I feel like some celebrities are just scapegoats for slow news days and some just like randomly are all we can talk about facts. Let's get to it, Flex and Frooms on kedus. We must discuss life after the Matilda's I made a confession that when Fred again was pumping and there was all this hype, and I personally felt as though people were pretending to understand the hype for fee of looking like a loser who doesn't know what's happening in current events. And then I too experienced jumping onto the hype train because I was infected with social contagion. And now eight days later, I'm still interested in sports broadly, and I've brought in my horizon, said AFLW. Yes, I've been reading about the NBA and I'm wearing a jacket that has golf emblems on them.
Speaker 3: Is this golf emblems, it's at the back. Okay that you made yourself.
Speaker 1: I did make it myself direct correct correct.
Speaker 3: Check Flex and frooms. There's videos of us from today, yes, and Flex he's wearing the jacket correct now.
Speaker 2: So doing my research for the AFL and the AFLW. This initially started because when I moved to Melbourne, I was very surprised to find out that liking sports in particular AFL is a statewide thing. It's not for sports fans, it's cultural and I hadn't seen anything like it before.
Speaker 1: A lot of the introductory conversations I was having, as have you picked a team?
Speaker 2: Heavy picked a team, and so I hadn't picked a team, and I didn't realize we're so convoluted picking a team for reasons we can't get into right now. But so since then I followed the AFL and the AFLW on Instagram and they made a post a couple of days ago that says equal player prize money for AFL and AFLW competitions, which I thought was sick. I said, okay, post Matilda's there's a vibe, there's momentum now that can come across really misleading because there are four final AFL teams and eight final AFLW teams, so it's equal prize money split between players, so they don't get paid the same. I see, but you know, this is why we have to read more than the headlines. Alas, I went into the comments and people were not happy, which I thought was really interesting because on face value, this feels like good information to happen, and you could imagine what the comments were saying, like why are women getting this money? It's undeserving, la la la, And I couldn't tell if it was like low level misogyny off those merit in the critique.
Speaker 1: And so based on reading.
Speaker 2: Some of these comments, I feel like what people are saying is the AFLW has been around for it's in its eighth year, and the AFL's this heritage, legacy corporation league that's been around for like one hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 3: I never cared, just split the record and say, okay, never had a team, just going to reiterate that, wow, not a sport family.
Speaker 1: Not a sport family.
Speaker 3: W I willing to usher it into the next yet give it a second.
Speaker 2: So they're saying that, you know, just comparatively the clubs haven't been around for the same amount of time, which means that the players who have in the AFL have had to pave the way and kind of work towards this prize are more entitled to more money than the afl W who are a newer team. And I said, Okay, I don't know if really enough that makes sense. It just sounds like these guys got a one hundred and fifty year head start. That's what I'm getting. Then people start going into quantifiable numbers. The attendees of the games roughly seven million AFL attendees and roughly four hundred and ten thousand afl W attendees. So the conversation now is if they're not bringing the same amount of people and they're not generating the same amount of ticket sales, should they be entitled to the same amount of prize money.
Speaker 1: Yes, relatively.
Speaker 2: Then the next critique was, okay, well, when you watch the AFL, because it's been years and years and years of people building of these men, in particular building these skills, and the AFL has been quite instrumental in creating like an exceptional kind of player. These people are like freaks of nature with what they're able to do, and they're comparing that to the AFLW where women haven't historically been allowed to play the game at the same level. There's not been support or infrastructure, and a lot of the current players are not homegrown AFL players. They approach like cricket players and boxers and netball players and basketball players, and so they're not playing to the same level of excellence as AFL players.
Speaker 1: Should they be rewarded the same.
Speaker 2: I so this is layer This is a layered conversation, and so it's not to say that, you know, the headline is misleading or whatever, but I think the conversation that's started.
Speaker 1: Is so juicy.
Speaker 2: At the time of the post being up. Now it's got like two thousand comments. People have stuff to say, but I don't know what difference it's going to make because I think that people can't really discern if the.
Speaker 1: Critique has merit.
Speaker 3: It's too layered.
Speaker 1: It's so layered.
Speaker 3: Also, chicken and egg.
Speaker 1: The bloody money up place chicken and egg.
Speaker 3: Then you'll bring more women's to be like, I want to get a little more cash. They're going to yeet away from the other sports. To me, enjoying sport is like learning to read like learning to enjoy fiction. It's like I don't look at it and then instantly get into it. I'm like, whoa, I'm missing this whole, like little tiny not even this whole branch on this tree of enjoyment.
Speaker 2: I'm ready for my culture understanding to improve. I'm learning so much about people from being interested in sport.
Speaker 3: So if you are a frequent listener to the show, you will know that we do have megalo maniac tendencies. And as I believe, I've.
Speaker 2: Seen Google that before, I before I co sign Megaloma that I'm right there with you.
Speaker 1: But I just want to make sure.
Speaker 3: Can I try and explain see if I'm close egotistical, grandiose ideas for centering yourself.
Speaker 2: A Meglo Mayac is a pathological egotist, and we said, you know what that is someone with a psychological disorder with symptoms like delusions of grandeur and an obsession with power.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I'm with you, know I want.
Speaker 2: The audience outside delusional fantasies of wealth, power, omnipotent Mine's not delusional though exactly.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we want to create a cult. Now I know what you're thinking, cults are super scary and people need to get out of them. But no, you can willingly.
Speaker 1: Enter a cult if you need to.
Speaker 3: Cultivate a sense of community, and we're here to fill that gap. Flex is leader of the cult.
Speaker 1: I come to that decision.
Speaker 3: We came to that decision because it was like quite late in the afternoon and I had completely switched off. I was looking at my messages and I was looking at my own Instagram story.
Speaker 1: It's flexing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we all know that what makes a cult stick, or makes anything sticker, is great marketing and great branding.
Speaker 1: We need a name and a slogan.
Speaker 2: I would like to give you some keywords and some ideas on how I'd like this to come across. Nothing about this cult needs to feel gimmicky. It can't be gimmicky. We're not leaning into like the spirituality of it. We're trying to exploit life to get the best of it for us. We also are about all things hot, sexy, fun, educational, entertaining, lighthearted. I think one thing that's going to really become an archetypal cornerstone of our cult is the concept of Jester's privilege. Are you aware of what Jessic's privilege is through me is yep. Let me read it out for you based on how Wikipedia would define it. Jesic's privilege is the ability and right of a jester to talk and mock freely without being punished for nothing, he says, seems to matter. That is the energy we bring into our utopia. In this studio, we say stuff we enjoy, We give each other the better, we give each other the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 1: We keep it pushing, truly, that is the energy of the cult. Don't bring it down.
Speaker 3: I think we should save that name for maybe something else. However, I have no, that's not the name.
Speaker 1: It will be the name.
Speaker 2: That's just the ethos that I want people to come to the cult with. Okay, it's very I don't want it to come across as gimme key, it's very.
Speaker 3: Earnest, amazing. Okay. So with that in mind, I have come up with a suggestion. It's still staying with that regal vibe when we call the munch Kings, but with kings on the end.
Speaker 1: Why kings, you'll see, okay, because we are.
Speaker 2: Mickey looks confused, given that you and producing Mickey share one brain.
Speaker 1: If you two are not on the same page. I don't think it's gonna work out.
Speaker 3: No, you're gonna be aating words girls. So munch King's one word. We've got that, okay. So the idea is, as we talk about patriarchy, matriarchy on the show, not macharchy, what even I think that we do need to herald in a bit of the hangover of the patriarchy and bring in the word king. But for the girlipops now the slogan patriarch king exactly about munch kings because we're cute, and the slogan is no munches, just munchies, but also in brackets, sober and clean both physically and no drugs.
Speaker 1: Do you want to say your own cults? I feel like you've got a very.
Speaker 2: Clear vision and I don't want to get in the way of you exercising. You'll understand where I was going with that one. Oh, Like, it's so clear, just not aligning what we want. And so what we're going to do now, given that through me has very generously come up with something creative and ingenious off the.
Speaker 1: Top, We're going to do a bit of a pole.
Speaker 2: You're going to share your suggestions with us on what our cult should be called and what the slogan should be.
Speaker 1: On our Instagram. It's flex and Frooms.
Speaker 2: We're going to compare your options to frooms as options, and then you, our cult members, will decide at the end of it.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair, diplomatic.
Speaker 3: Definitely fair, babe.
Speaker 1: The first and last time will be fair and diplomatic.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure suits, but we will try. Our best.
Speaker 2: Question of the day, should you just let your friends date losers?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: I feel personally that you might be spending too much energy coaching your friends out of decisions they're gonna already make. Anyway, this thought didn't spark for me. I got it from a TikTok. She is Livy l iv I.
Speaker 4: I came to this point and like realization in my life with my friends where if they want to do like toxic behaviors and they want to go.
Speaker 1: Their loser X, you know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 5: I'm like, yeah, like, go ahead that loser, like do whatever makes your soul happy, or say they want to date a loser, Yeah, date him going ahead.
Speaker 1: You want to know why? Because I don't give up.
Speaker 4: You can't control other people's actions and what they do, and if someone wants to put.
Speaker 5: Themselves through hell, then they can put themselves through hell. I'm not gonna sit and try and get someone out of a situation that they're willingly putting themselves in. But if my friends want to do actions, you know what, I'll support them because that's clearly what they need.
Speaker 3: She really said, I'm not okay, it's not okay.
Speaker 2: Part of me agrees with the sentiment that you should let your friends date losers, in the sense that you shouldn't go out of your way to squeeze yourself into a decision your friend is making because you wouldn't make it. I don't think you should coach them into dating them. I don't think you should derail them off their path because you would make a different decision. But I often think you have to recognize where the friendship sits in terms of priorities.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, like, you're not gonna are you a ride or die?
Speaker 2: Who's like I'm following you into I'm following you off that bridge. That's your boyfriend, that's my boyfriend. That's our boyfriend. He's a loser, but we love him. Or are you more concerned with making sure your friend just has a safe space. It's event and to share and to not feel alone. Are you too driven by your own morals and ethics to let a friendship determine how you feel about something that you wouldn't agree with. Are you prioritizing how you feel or what you believe over the reality of their situation. That's a bit different, but overall, yeah, let your friends date loses. We're phrasing this like you have any real say over who your friends date. Any Also, let them.
Speaker 3: The damn to be damned. As we say, let someone reject you once, but when the girl is gone back for seconds, my hands are tied. My hands are tied. But try and catch yourself before you make any more decisions.
Speaker 2: I just think your commitment to being a friend sometimes has to supersede what is the best piece of advice to give.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, by not doing the advice, you are going to cut yourself out double the amount of time of like listening to.
Speaker 1: The problems one more time.
Speaker 3: So like by you just letting them do it when you know that it's a bad idea, you are perhaps like letting them perpetuate the thing for another two weeks and that's another two weeks of you having to listen.
Speaker 2: If you don't stop your friends from dating losers, you become a loser. I just did the math really quickly. So if you are who you surround yourself with, you surround yourself with a friend. They surround themselves with a loser.
Speaker 1: You are now what alulah eh?
Speaker 3: Let that be a lesson girls and boys.
Speaker 1: If you're not doing it for yourself, do it for your girls, do it for your friends.
Speaker 3: This is flex and frooms on Kita.
Speaker 2: Got some bad news, but truly I say bad news to preface the gossip because people don't like hearing gossip for what it is, fun and exciting, even if it's sad. Drake is on tour in America. Will he make it back to Australia.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: But the time that he came last time, I saw him three times, so I might draked out. Yeah, I don't know. Years I'm not good with years. Like you, you really have a good a good.
Speaker 1: Grasp on time.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: But I saw him once I paid two hunch fifty bucks to stand in the center, and then the other two times was the Sony corporate box the price has gone up. What I will say, though, is I think Drake is an amazing performer. And what I learned about him that I could not foresee or fathom before I went to that concert is how scripted and formulate concerts are. I obviously knew that the songs were going to go in the same order, but he said the same thing every night, and every night I almost thought it was sincere and I was like, no, it's scripted. At the time, he was selling Summer sixteen merch, right, so he'd be like, I see you over there with the green Eyes and the Summer sixteen merch, the green Eyes.
Speaker 1: I see you over there in the summer sixteen look at mean yes.
Speaker 2: You baby, yeah, and I ate up every time. By day three, I was like, there's something off and I don't know what it is. Oh, I've heard this before.
Speaker 3: I've heard green eyes.
Speaker 1: H Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like it was the same thing again and again and again, and maybe he'd add a little bit extra, but he would never take away the bass.
Speaker 1: Maybe he's different now.
Speaker 2: So when videos were coming up with my TikTok drakeven content, I thought they'd be overwhelmingly positive because I think he is a good performer. What is happening is Drake isn't necessarily singing his songs as they are. He's putting a playful spin on them. He's adding a riff or two here and there. He's singing covers, he's singing the originals of songs, he's interpolated, he's having.
Speaker 1: A good time with it. People don't like that.
Speaker 2: People are saying, I want to hear the song as it sounds on the record, which begs the question do we go to concerts to hear songs that sound exactly like the record or do we go for a show, Because sometimes when I go out to gigs, I say it sounds just like the record, but in a way that I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, are you lip syncing?
Speaker 3: Interesting?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Are you really are?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: Can you hit that perfectly? Sometimes I want to hear a little bit of.
Speaker 2: The raw vocal so I know you're actually singing. And sometimes it's nice to be like, oh, you're switching it up, you're switching up. People aren't happy.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. For example, and radio, when people like when the DJ like starts singing the end of the song before they go into oh you don't like.
Speaker 1: That, nah, said the zone.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to listen to Savage Garden to the Moon and Back, and you're singing the riff like, leave me out of it.
Speaker 2: With all due respect, The thing is, I'm now understanding for the money people now pay to go to concerts. So let's say five sixties a go when I saw Drake and it was two fifty for me, that was huge.
Speaker 1: Money, big money.
Speaker 2: Now people are paying six hundred, seven hundred, eight hundred for that kind of money.
Speaker 1: I need this to be indistinguishable from Spotify.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and add dancers, and add stage production. I need to see Betley's and cars and motorbikes on the stage doing wheelies.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I did say, like on a TikTok, which we'll put up on our insta Drake like on the big screens when they throw to the audience, had put the cry filter genius.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Like more of that. That's like a concert experience, you know.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Justice for Drake, Free him, let him go from your limitations of experiencing live music.
Speaker 1: You've forgotten what it's about.
Speaker 3: And I'll also say all the best performers came from having a TV show. You got your Gambino and just end with that.
Speaker 1: You got your drakes, you got.
Speaker 3: Your miless arises. Just let it be known. I must admit I have been getting back into the going out zone. I did take a little tiny bit of a break. Not any reason, Okay, I say this sort of say. Went to the Royal in Bondi recently. It's a pub on the corner. It is attached to Totti's. Tell me why I'm at the Royal. A couple drinks in having the best time of life. I just pop in for a quick dance before going to Club seventy seven. The night really nice, and night took a turn four a m.
Speaker 1: Well, the youth in you is screeching. It was flooring its way out.
Speaker 3: I was hanging out with a twenty four year old, so I was right.
Speaker 1: Up, I've still got it.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I sided up to the bar and I'm asking for this light shee slushy. Theyse do thesees, and the guys like, we don't do them anymore. So I'm like, damn, I I'll get fo soda with a little tiny splash of pineapple.
Speaker 1: Huh why a tiny splash? Just don't want the full strength?
Speaker 3: The little taste anyway, I struggle a conversation with the man next to me, a British lad. Okay, I just.
Speaker 1: Think, let's have a little how did you do that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Because we started? He rolls up, I'm already there, and he goes, don't worry, don't worry. I'll make sure you go before me. I said that he.
Speaker 1: Knows how this works.
Speaker 2: He says, patriarchy is real and it's right, but I will make sure as a man and a woman is going first.
Speaker 3: Then he goes so so and the guy serves the other guy and he's like, no, I swear I was doing it for you. Anyway. We're gagging, We're gagging, cackling, gangling, canny. I'm focused on talking to the bartender. And there's a woman that comes up behind him. He's like and she's like, oh my god, oh my god, you're talking to rooms and I could hear it at them shag my hand and I'm like, I'm gonna get my drink.
Speaker 2: I'm turn out, I'm gonna do the requisite hell out meet and Greek meet and Greek and like I just love.
Speaker 3: The man being like what what anyway? Then the guy's like, damn, I know you. I work at ARRAN.
Speaker 1: The one even.
Speaker 3: He did not call, and I'm like, he's like, I was at your like event on the boat.
Speaker 1: Party, not on the luxury bar, the luxury barge.
Speaker 2: If people don't know, ARRAN is Australian radio network, it's where we actually work. It's the umbrella of all the other radio stations here. So there's you know us we get and Amanda don't. There's Kyle and Jackie.
Speaker 3: Oh we're here.
Speaker 1: We're all peers.
Speaker 3: I start a conversation with this woman instantly, I'm enamored, and I say to her, can you please do a voice note for the show?
Speaker 2: Oh? God, please?
Speaker 1: Six please Hello, it's your pleasure to be here. Why are you coaching how we want to sound like?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 6: I'm indeed king love flex and flute foods. It kiss me through my daily life. I've help me through so many sad times. I listen to every.
Speaker 2: Day and Eliza listen, Okay, it's India, you coaching Indie to begin with, Indy says, what should I say?
Speaker 1: Room says, okay, tell them you love the show.
Speaker 3: And I mean she said what she said, I just actually did it. She also said, I've been listening for a long time. And I can tell that you and Flex really like each other now, Yeah, And I said, you know.
Speaker 1: What, hey, we're connected, Artie.
Speaker 2: Let the girlies know. Okay, what everyone thinks friendships are effortless. I think that's the thing that gets me about just existing and being like getting to a point whereople can observe you being good at something they think it doesn't take effort. Like if Room's and I only talked to each other when we came into the studio, it would sound like it sounded like a year and a half ago fore I were doing facetimes yep, text threats, divulging, debriefing, gossiping, looping in, looping around, looping back out.
Speaker 3: And you know who I think for that? Guess me?
Speaker 1: You think she says she thanks men.
Speaker 3: Amazing?
Speaker 2: Is that coming through? Is Honestly, she's leading the chart. She's a vehicle for patriarchy. Rimmy has a vested interest in patriarchy.
Speaker 1: She's got stocks.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Indy, we love you. Thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: What a queen You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 4: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.