Speaker 1: Are you feeling paralyzed by climate anxiety? With countless eco choices and contradicting advice, where do you even begin? The overwhelming maze of sustainability options leaves most of us stuck at square one? But what it? Making a real environmental difference was actually simpler than you've been led to believe, and could save you some serious money along the way. Helping others discover how to do just that is the mission of Lotti dl an Australian sustainability advocate, author and founder of Banish, a platform helping Australians adopt eco friendly lifestyles. Lotty was named the twenty twenty three New South Wales Young Australian of the Year and featured on Forbes thirty Under thirty list, And to top it off, she has made all her knowledge accessible in her book three hundred and sixty five plus Ways to Save the Planet and your money at the same time. In this episode, Lottie reveals the easiest way to drastically cut our energy use at work with one simple change, a surprising trick to keep your veggies lasting longer in the fridge, and the everyday household items that might be leaching microplastics into your food and body. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits, rituals, and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imber. My first question, Lottie, is I want to not like, what is one really small, low effort change that people can make at work, either in their home office or in their office office that will have a surprisingly big impact on the planet.
Speaker 2: That's a really great question. I think for me, it would be saying goodbye to stand by mode, so you know when you've finished for the day, or you've decided that I don't know, you've wrapped up for the week. It is not leaving your devices lingering on standby mode all weekend. It's actually shutting them down. And I remember when I was working full time. This is an email that I would get a lot and I would just completely ignore because I didn't really understand why. And when your devices are setting idle, they are actually consuming energy and power. And what we want to do is it sort of stop that. So it's just a small thing that will add up to make a big difference. I love that.
Speaker 1: I never would have thought about that, and I'm a massive culprit for just leaving everything on. So I want to be quick because I've got a laptop that I then plug into the monitors in my home office. If I close down my laptop, is it still using power or is it more if it's open and not shut down.
Speaker 2: So if you close down your laptop, then that is great, But if it's still plugged in to the devices to say, for example, or those screens, those screens are still pulling power. So you need to switch off the screens if there's a button on the screen, or turn them off at the wall. It's the same with like if you've got you know that like that charge of for your phone that's sitting and plugged into the wall, and you don't turn it on and off at the wall, but you only just kind of unplug and plug your devices in when you unplug your devices, but you leave it on at the wall. It's called phantom power. It just sits there. It's I kind of like the equivalent of a dripping tap, just sits there pulling a little bit of power every single time. So yes, if you finished for the week or the day, shut your laptop down, but make sure that your screens are off because often they'll automatically kind of look like they're off, but we need to switch them off at the wall or using the button too.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that is gold. Okay, let's get further into the home office, because I know a lot of listeners are hybrid. They'll probably spend two or three days a week in their home office and then the rest in an office building. So in the home office, you said you work from home every Monday. What are like one or two things that you do that it may be a little bit unusual but easy to do to have a lovely sustainable setup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really good question, and I think for me it comes down to first and foremost, using what you've got. You don't need to get a really fancy set up. It doesn't need to look flash or wisbang. So if we're not going out there and buying new things, that's the best thing for me. I'm using a second hand desk that I got on Marketplace. I am using one of our beautiful new laptop stands that we've just created made from bottle top lids. So that one is something that yes I did buy new, but it's made from recycled materials. But it's also I think when it comes to the home office, it's thinking about things like lighting, Like, as I was saying to you, it's a cloudy day today, so I've had to switch on the lights. But normally I would be near a window, so I wouldn't need that. I'd be using cross ventilation rather than having to turn on air conditioning or things like that. So cross ventilation is when instead of opening up one window, you open up a window and a door that kind of almost face each other to create a cross breeze and a flow. So that is actually going to continue to let that air circulate and push through, which is a great one. I actually speak about this in the book a little bit, and I'm a bit cheeky, and I feel like if anybody's boss is listening, they're probably not going to lie me. But I'm my own boss, so I can do what I want. My work from home days are when I'm making the most of doing all of those odd chores. I hate cleaning with a passion, and I don't want to be doing washing all weekend. My weekends are for enjoying myself. So for me, I'm making the use of the hours that I've got to kind of put the washing on, to hang it on the line, to do those things, so that I'm multitasking because time is money, and if you are working from home, you do have the time to be able to put on a five minute load to take ten minutes to hang it out on the line.
Speaker 1: And why doing that? Is that about peekin' off peak power usage? Is it for money savings? Does it benefit the environment? Like why why would you do that?
Speaker 2: So there's a couple of different reasons, as you mentioned, the off peak and the peak timing. So when we come home from the office or from school or university, that night time period when we're all using energy is what we call a peak period. It's going to cost us more money. So when you're putting on you're washing at six or seven pm at night, that's a really expensive time to be washing our clothes, whereas if you can be doing it at one or two o'clock in the afternoon, it's a lot cheaper. You've also, I would argue, you've got time to actually hang your things on the line to utilize the most at daytime. If you're coming home at six or seven o'clock at night and hanging out your clothes at midnight. That's not really going to be conducive for letting everything dry in the sun, So you'll probably be then going, well, maybe I should be using the dryer something that is going to use all of that energy, cost a lot of money, and won't be good for the planet as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about for those those times when we're in a shared office space and you know, we probably don't have a lot of control over like the lighting and the air conditioning and all of the things that are using up lots of power. Because I imagine at banish your company things, you've probably nailed it. But how about you know, for the rest of us that are going into an office and what is in our control? What are the highest impact things we can do?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think a really good one when it comes to your impact when you're in a shared what work environment is single use plastics? So if you're a coffee drinker, are you using a reusable cup? Are you bringing your own reusable water bottle? For example, if you're somebody who gets takeaway for lunch, when you are buying your takeaway lunch items, are you buying them in plastic packaging? Can you bring your own container. If you can't bring your own container, can you bring your own knife and fork? Just small things that mean that you're cutting down on that plastic usage that little bit more. And also do find like when you bring your own coffee cup, you're often getting fifty cents off as well. It's great, it's amazing, But when you are in a shared workplace as well. I think one thing that people underestimate is your role is a role model. If you're bringing your reusable cup, or you're bringing your own water bottle, you're letting everybody else know in that shared office environment that yes, they can bring theirs for it too, And maybe they just needed a little reminder to oh, yeah, I do have a reusable cup at home that I can bring in to have my coffee.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of something you write about in your book, which I'm going to hold up even though people are probably listening three hundred and sixty five plus ways to save the planet and your money. At the same time, it was such a good book, Lottie. I've discribbled all over it. It's oh my gosh, it is a wealth of information and just very very practical. So I loved it. One of the things you suggest is creating a single use quitter kit. Can you explain exactly what that is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, thank you so much, and try and say single use quitt kit five times. That's really roll off the tongue at all. But it is that kind of thing. I find organization is one of the biggest things when it comes to saving money in the planet. It's often when we're caught in a pinch that we're going to be consuming the single use plastics, spending more money on things. So building this quitter kit, what I like to say, is a way to kind of just know that you've got things with you that are going to help you. So for example, it is a tote bag or some kind of bag. It is a water bottle. It's a reusable coffee cup. For me, it's a knife and fork. It doesn't have to be a fancy bamboo one that looks all schmicking perfect and matching. Mine is a knife and fork from my kitchen that I just carry around with me. If it is somemer min will include a straw as well. Also could include a handkerchief. I find these are just so handy in case you need a napkin or anything like that a bit of a nanner at heart, and for me it's also a reasonable project bag because this can just be great for those little bits and pieces.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about sustainable travel choices because I imagine you probably do a lot of travel for work, and I think, you know, when I'm traveling, you know, I think about offsetting, you know, like buying carbon credits to offset my flights. And inventing Him is a B corporation as well, So we do try to think about these kinds of things. But what are some things that maybe people might not have thought of that are just easy hacks when we are traveling for work orf for play to have less of an impact on the environment.
Speaker 2: No, I definitely agree with you there. It's one of these things when you are traveling a lot. For me, I'm quite conscious of my consumption. Still. I think there's two things you need to think about. First and foremost is that, yes, you're out of your routine, it's going to be slightly different and coming to terms with the fact that you are going to consume a little bit more than usual, but also not giving yourself a complete get out of jet free card. So for me, that single use critic kit is still coming with me. I am using my reusable cup when I get a cup of tea on the plane. For example, when I have a glass of wine on the plane, it goes into that reusable cup. But also if I am staying at things like hotels and things like that, I'm using only what I need. I'm not getting daily laundry service, I am not getting I don't know, those mini little shampoos and things like that. You just need to think about the footprint that you want to leave behind on this planet. And also just in general, do you need that item? Do you need to be consuming that? And when I am traveling, I love utilizing public transport and walking because I want to feel a part of the community. I want to feel like I am a part of wherever I am traveling to, and by walking and catching public transport, I think that's a really great part. Cabs they're expensive, they're not great for the planet, whereas catching buses, trains. It's pretty simple to kind of understand that our impact is going to be a lot less when it comes to transport as well. And then when I am traveling, I am that person that's getting a table for one and dining out. Yes, it's easy to sit in your hotel room and order takeaway, but for me again, getting out there experiencing whatever there is around, meeting the locals. But dining in means that I'm going to save on those single use plastics, save on however that item was going to get to my door, and it just helps me, I think as well, feel a little bit more normal when I'm traveling.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about one of the I guess the biggest culprits that I know I can be quite guilty of in terms of my impact on the planet, and that is food wastage. And one of the things I was I was so interested in. You had a little table in the book that the most commonly wasted foods that we have, like in the average household.
Speaker 2: Can you share what those are? Yeah, You're not alone. Food wasted just one of the biggest issues when it comes to saving money and the planet. So the most commonly wasted foods in Australia are bananas, bread, your leafy greens and your kind of lettuces. Then also you've got dairy and then meats. So there's something that I think we can all agree that there's probably some city in our fridge or our pantry right now that aren't looking too pretty. So when it comes to reducing our food waste, it's a really great way to reduce our impact on the planet, but also to save some money. Because in general, it's estimated that one in every five shopping bags that an Australian brings into their home goes into the bin.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is crazy. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's like looking at your grocery bill and taking twenty percent off it and just throwing that quite literally in the bin.
Speaker 1: So what do you do, Lotti, because I feel like you would have mastered the art of not wasting food. Like, what are things that you potentially do differently to the average person.
Speaker 2: I think for me, something that surprises people is I shop with a list, but I will only buy the quantity that I need. And I know that this kind of sounds a little bit counterintuitive because if you've got a recipe that's asking for, I don't know, four hundred grams of pasta, but then buying a kilo of pasta is going to be a lot cheaper per hundred grams. You're often upsold to be buying that bigger one. But for me, I found that by having buying less and buying exactly what I need, I'm not going to have any of that wastage. So that wastage, even though the price per hundred grams is cheaper, the things that I'm throwing out actually kind of makes that counter productive for me. It's having a plan. I know my recipes, i know what I'm going to be cooking. I'm not browsing a supermarket and just picking up anything and everything. And also something that I do that makes super laugh is it has been scientifically proven that if you go shopping hungry, you will buy more. And you know, at the front of a supermarket, how they have those little kind of like fruit baskets for kids that are like they could have an apple or an orange. I don't go into those ones, but I will go through the whole supermarket. I will buy a banana, I will buy an apple. I will stand outside, I will eat it, and then we'll go shopping. Because it does actually mean that I buy less because so many times I feel like I am just pulling everything in anything off the shelf, not because I need it, but because I'm really hungry in that exact moment.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, so we can see you outside supermarkets everywhere just having.
Speaker 2: Yea, a little sack before I have my supermarket shop. Another thing when it comes to the supermarket is because obviously there's a lot of packaging in those supermarkets, is I love to shop the perimeter. That's the easiest way to avoid as much packaging as possible. So obviously when I'm having a when I'm shopping for produce, I'm buying loose produce or I'm using rearsable produce bags for loose things like beans or the leafy greens, and then you kind of stick to the perimeter. That's so you're going to find your dairies, that's where you're near your eggs, You're going to get other things like that. Try and avoid all of that packaging in those processed foods in the middle of the aisles. For me, that really helps make a big difference. And when I am shopping and choosing my recipes for the week and planning it out, I'm eating seasonally because that inevitably is going to be better for the planet because you're eating what's available right now, but often that's what's in special. And I was talking to somebody the other day and they were like, the irony of the fact that when we buy produce at its cheapest, it tastes its best, And I thought that was something that was really interesting. It was like, yes, when the berries are two dollars fifty a punnet, that's when they taste the most amazing. And I went, oh, that's a really interesting conundrum, but something that we get to benefit from just by eating seasonally.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've never thought about it that way. Oh, that's super interesting. I want to ask about best before versus used by dates. I feel like this is I mean, I get confused by this, and I feel like I am conservative with perhaps throwing things out for fear of getting a Tommy ache or seek. But tell me how should I be reading in interpreting best before versus used by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's really great that you even understand that there is a difference between the two, because not many people do realize. They just think that it's like, oh, the packaging is just chosen which one they're going to use today. But yes, when it comes to best before dates, it's more of a recommendation. It's saying this item is we think going to be in the best condition if you consume it by X, whereas use by date is more of a hard and fast rule. This is something that we need to take more seriously. So used by dates where you found on things like meat and dairy, whereas the best before dates you'll find on things like long life foods or on vegetables. And it's just kind of saying, we think that this will be the optimal quality if you consume it before this date. So that would be my thing is that you is something that you need to remember.
Speaker 1: So how lax can we be with best before? I mean, could we let it go for a month after or does it just really depend on the food And like.
Speaker 2: You exactly, it depends on the food. So if you've got I don't know, some spices that have a best before date on them, Like I think there's some pretty old spices in my spice cupboard that I keep on using. But if you've got some spinach that says that it's best before Sunday, you can probably get a couple of days extra out of it, but you're not going to get months after that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So use your brain. Something that my team and inventim is doing at the moment so I mentioned we're a bee Corp. In March is be Corp Month, and for those that haven't heard of bee Corp, basically organizations that are accredited I suppose in putting purpose before profit. And as a team, we're doing what we've termed corp Olympics, where we have a points system and when we do certain activities that are good for the planet, good for the team, good for all the I guess the criteria that b corps are graded on, we get points and so we're in two teams, and so last night to get points for my team, my husband and I had tofu for dinner, and I think we ate too much because we both had a tummy acufter which we really loaded up on the tofu. But in your book you talk about the different environmental impact of different proteins that we can have, and it really surprised me. So I'd love to know from a sustainability point of view, which proteins are having the biggest impact on the planet and which ones I guess are having the lightest impact.
Speaker 2: So it is a really difficult one and it's one that I do kind of say two people in the book, Look, I don't think everybody needs to be vegetarian, but the first and best thing that you can do is to reduce your meat intake. So beef is the most carbon intensive protein that we can have, closely followed by lamb and farmed crustaceans. Now, the farmed crustaceans one was a bit of an interesting one, and that one kind of took me by surprise. But if you think about because they are a farmed animal, similar to when there's beef, there's a lot more resources that need to go into that. You've got the resources in terms of machinery, in terms of maintenance, in terms of everything. So that really added to the carbon emissions of the crustaceans in comparison to when you do have the fish that's a bit lower down the chain of the in the protein, juiciness and how much carbon emissions they take. But yes, the top three if we're thinking about the lowest environmental impact, are going to be nuts, tofu and beans. So yes, you get a big tick for your dinner last night having some tofu in there.
Speaker 1: And if we are not having a vegan or vegetarian meal, what proteins should we be choosing to have the lightest impact on the planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the lightest impact would be eggs and poultry. That's going to be the best ones, followed by fish. So that's kind of when we're looking kind of the chain of everything. Beef and lamb are the most intensive.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Lotty soon. When we return, she'll reveal the common household items, leaching microplastics into your food for eco friendly items you can replace almost every cleaning product with, and her simple trick for making fresh produce last longer. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work can live, I write a short weekly newsletter that contains tactics I've discovered that have helped me personally. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot com. Now in your book, there's a whole section on food storage and how to make food, particularly fresh produce, last longer, which, oh my god. Again, like the book is just jam packed with information, but what aberhaps some of the most surprising tips or things that people should know around how to make food last longer, particularly in the fridge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really a good one, and I think it applies to so many different households, and I get a lot of feedback about this section in the book that I call hugs and swims. So what a swim is is in my fridge, I have a old or non mold I have a plastic container filled with water, and in that I actually put a lot of vegetables and store them in water in the fridge. So things like carrots, celery, lemons all go in there and they're floating around having a great time. Because what happens in our fridge is it's actually dehydrating a lot of our produce. So that's why your carrots go bendy, That's why your spinach goes limp. So by keeping them nice and hydrated, we're able to keep them crunchy, keep them fresh for longer. The other section is hugs. So what I recommend is, in order to again stop things from dehydrating, you wet a teatowel and then you wrap up things like you're a leafy greens and then that is going to help keep your produce fresher for longer.
Speaker 1: Oh God, so you've literally got a swimming pool in your fridge. Lighting I do.
Speaker 2: It's so fun. Just can't open up the fridge too aggressively and then it's all good. But the thing is, when you've got these items that last so long, people can look at me like I've got two heads, but I go, well, I've got fresher produce in you, and it's fine.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Now microplastics, I feel like microplastics are getting more and more attention. Can you just put for those that I guess have been living under a microplastic rock, like, what are microplastics? Why should we care?
Speaker 2: Yes? So, microplastics are defined as a piece of plastics smaller than five millimeters in size, So some of them, they could be a tiny little shred that you can actually see. Some of them are so small that not even we can see them with our eye. And there's been a lot of news articles, headlines things like that lately, because microplastics have been found in human brains, in fetuses, in testes, in everything, so pretty much research has shown that it's microplastics are in the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat. The thing is that we're not entirely sure what the impact that they're having on us is. We can kind of put two and two together and say that they're not going to be as nutritious as chomping on some kale. But there are microplastics that are just becoming a part of our lives and quite literally our diets. So there's a lot of talk and chatter at the moment about how we reduce these microplastics. And there's definitely a lot of things that you can do. Like when you, I don't know, have a coffee in a single use coffee cup that's lined with plastic, you're drinking plastics. When you drink from a single use plastic water bottle, you're also drinking plastic. When you have a cup of tea with a tea bag in it, most tea bag brands contain plastics, so you're consuming plastics.
Speaker 1: That blew my mind? Can I say when I read that about tea bags.
Speaker 2: So these are all ways that we can control our microplastic consumption and reduce our microplastic consumption. But the issue is we can't control everything. So when you're walking around your office, when you're walking outside, when you are just doing life, you're consuming microplastics. And I think that's probably the scariest thing for people, is it's going even if I try and do everything and anything I can they're still coming, I'm still consuming them. What does this do for me? And I think that's why there is this really scary time that we're in at the moment, because it's kind of going we're just chomping away at them unknowingly. So what's going to happen to us in the future.
Speaker 1: What are some of the most surprising sources of microplastics? Because like for me, tea bags it was a complete surprise. But what else surprises people most from your experience?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the tea bags is a huge one that kind of people's jaw hits the floor. Another one is plastic chopping boards. So when you're cutting your vegetables, dicing your chicken, doing whatever you're doing, you're slicing into that plastic chopping board. And not only are you eating the chicken or the carrots, you're eating microplastics too. The other one is chewing gum. That's another one. What other item can you chew on for five to six hours it doesn't disintegrate, it's plastics. And the next one would be paper towel, So often a lot of brands have a lot of paper towel. Brands have a plastic weave in them. So even if you're wiping down your benches, if you're doing whatever, you're leaving a microplastic residue behind that you're inadvertedly going to be consuming. And I think the last one would be in our clothing. So if you have any man made fibers, things like polyesters, las stanes, they are plastic, so as you wear them, as you wash them, tiny little fragments are breaking off and are entering our oceans or entering the air we breathe. So just by wearing a garment that is made from polyester, you're breeding that into.
Speaker 1: Can I ask about cleaning cloths? So the paper towels thing I found very surprising, and microfiber cloths have microplastics in them as well. That is pretty much what we use to clean things in my household. Like what should we be buying instead?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a really good question. So for me, I love using Swedish dishcloths. They're made from a plant based cell you and they will wipe down my benches, they will do everything that a paper towel does, and then I just wash them with my tea towels as well. When I did move away from using paper towels and using things like wetexes and chuses that also have plastics. I noticed that my teatowel consumption went up, but my teatowels are made from linen or cotton, so that's fine, and I'm just washing them and reusing them more. And then when it comes to cleaning my dishes, I have a it's almost looks like chain mesh. It's a stainless steel scrubber. So that's to clean all of my kind of cast iron pots, and then to clean everything else, I use this funky spaghetti scrubber that's actually made from peach pits. And what it does is it's got an abrasive surface to it, and then it cleans all of my dishes.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh my gosh. Okay, if I'm going shopping after this, I feel like another area that I found really interesting in the book. And you talk about like cleaning products and the chemicals that we're using to clean, and you have a section called the Mighty for cleaners. Can you talk about what they are and just some simple swaps that we can do for how we clean our clothes, how we clean our dishes, and how we clean ourselves.
Speaker 2: So it's a great one because I feel like, as I mentioned before, I do not love cleaning, but I do clean, of course. And it's estimated that in Australia we have thirty different cleaning products in our cleaning cupboard and I don't even know what that is to clean. There are so obviously with a lot of things to clean in our house, but we don't need thirty different cleaning products. Not only are a lot of cleaning products like a bathroom cleaner and a kitchen cleaner often made with the same ingredients, but there's often a lot of chemicals that are unnecessary in this And when we clean our shower screen or when we wash our dishes with a dish washing liquid, we're inadvertedly going to be breathing in that steam from the shower screen. We're going to be eating off those dishes, so we're going to be eating and consuming those chemicals, and for me, that's something that I don't want to be doing. Also, the cost of all of these items, and if you look at the back of the pack of a lot of the cleaning products, you'll actually see that the number one ingredient is water. So we are shipping around the world and around Australia a whole lot of water in bottles. So for me, the Mighty four or the Powerful four is for ingredients that I think that ninety percent of households will already have in their cupboard, their low cost and the best thing is their multi use because so many of the different things that I talk about in the book, it's all about coming back to not buying so much stuff. So in the four are lemons is to any kind of citrus, so it could be orange as lemons, limes, it is, bicarb, soda, white vinegar, and castile soap. And using these items, either individually or in combos, I think can clean pretty much your whole entire house. I did a video the other day showing three different ways to use lemons. One of my favorite things to do when I've kind of squeezed every last ounce of a lemon up is I put it in the kettle and I boil it. And what this does is it actually descales your kettle completely literally by just boiling it and leaving it in there. The same with if you wanted to get all of that grease out of a oven or a microwave, you just put a glass bowl with a lemon in it and water and you cook in the microwave or cook in the oven, and that actual citrus that comes out of there then acts as a natural degreas, So then you don't need to use any elbow grease and you can just wipe away your microwave or your oven. The other one with lemons is it's really great to kind of clean and sanitize all of your wooden chopping boards. And also you can pop it in the a squeezed half lemon in the top rack of your dishwasher and it acts as a natural rinse. Aid.
Speaker 1: Oh, that is nuts. How about for clothes washing, like, which of those four ingredients or a combination should I be putting in the clothes washup? And I do wash with cold water, not hot, because I know that has a massive impact on the planet and the power bill as well. So what should I be putting in?
Speaker 2: Big tick for you then for doing that. So white vinegar is something that is going to soften your laundry load. So if I'm washing towels or sheets or anything like that, white vinegar is what I'm going to do. You can also again add lemons because that's going to help get rid of those yellow stains. But when it comes to washing my clothes, I actually use a thing called soap nuts or soap berries, and what they are is they are quite literally what they sound like, a little berry or nut. You put four in a bag into your laundry and what happens is when they touch water, they release a natural soapnin that cleans your clothes. So there's no chemicals, no nasties, They're completely natural. And then you just let the soaps or the berries dry in between each use, and then you use them four times, so four berries four times, and then you just compost them when you're done.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about the dishwasher, because I know you're actually an advocate of the dishwasher over hand washing lots of things like filling that you sink to do. So like what do you put in the dish washer? Because right now I use those little dish washing pods and I now know after reading your book that is a nightmare for the environment.
Speaker 2: Yes, because of that little dissolvable layer around your dishwashing at tablets is one that is actually going to be made with plastics probably, So when it comes to actually cleaning and using the dishwasher. You're right, less water is used if you use the dishwasher than actually hand washing each of our dishes and plates. So for me, I use a dish washing powder that's mostly made of a bicub soda. I use a brand called Kinkin, which is just a natural brand that you can buy online, and that's the dish washing powder that I use, and then it's just happy days. But again, I'm only washing full loads in the dishwasher, And the only time where the stat doesn't work about its saving water by using the dishwasher is when you pre rinse every item before you put it in, so no rinsing.
Speaker 1: Now, I would love to know, out of everything we've discussed today on maybe something that we haven't like, what is just one change that you would recommend that people make today that will have a really big impact.
Speaker 2: So it's really difficult because I hate being prescriptive because everyone's leading different lives, everyone's at different stages in their sustainability journey. So I think one thing would be to go and do that thing that you've been meaning to do, because I believe that everybody's got that thing that's kind of on their bucket list or they've been thinking about. I don't know, getting a more energy efficient appliance, or walking to work more or doing something like that. But if I was going to tell everybody a second thing, it would be to eat what you've got left in your fridge. For me, I don't go to the shops once a month, one week every month, and I just eat whatever is in my fridge, my freezer and my pantry, and I've never gone hungry. There is always something that I can create there. So for me, that would probably be the biggest one. It's going to save you a ton of money and the planet at the same time.
Speaker 1: Lottie, thank you so much for all these tips. I feel like you make like having a better impact on the planet and also just on saving money, like you make it so easy and so practical. So thank you for writing a brilliant book and for your time today.
Speaker 2: No, thank you so much for having me, and I really appreciate it because it is that thing. I'm just trying to make living sustainably something that we can all do. I don't think it's up to a handful of individuals. I just think that every person can be doing just a little bit more than they currently are.
Speaker 1: I hope you loved this chat with Lottie as much as I did. I know that I will be making sure not to leave my computer on standby mode at the end of the day anymore. If you want to learn more about Lotty, I highly recommend her book three hundred and sixty five plus Ways to Save the Planet and your money at the same time, and also check her out on Instagram.
Speaker 2: The links to both are in the show notes.
Speaker 1: If you like today's show, make sure you git follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop.
Speaker 2: How I Work was recorded
Speaker 1: On the traditional land of the Warringery people, part of the Cooler Nation