Speaker 1: All right, I'll just welcome back to the Mason Cox Show today. Big guests, massive guests, not physically but also from his athletic ability. We've got one of the great athletes of Australia. Give me a little backgrounds from Geelong Grammer. He is a Melbourne, somewhat Melbourne based fella. He's way of Saint Mary's with some of the top players. He's playing with people like Kevin Durant, Yes, Kevin Durant, Devin Booker, a few of the superstars of the NBA at the moment. He is an Australian at heart, born and bred but now living over in Phoenix, Arizona. He's got even an NBL Championship. He's got a whole bunch of stuff we'll go through, but he is a great man and he's now joining us on the pod.
Speaker 2: Juck Landell, welcome.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. Right, that's a heck of an intro.
Speaker 1: We've got plenty to cover it because there's a lot of stuff you've done, there's a lot of accomplishments you've had, and I feel like a lot of these Australians that go to the NBA do it in a similar style.
Speaker 3: That you have.
Speaker 1: So I want to get a bit of a background information of how this happens, because some people just think a click of a finger somehow you go to say Mary's, you end up in the NBA.
Speaker 2: That's not how it goes.
Speaker 1: Now we're going to start off a bit of early days, Geelong Grammar, going to school out there.
Speaker 2: How was it?
Speaker 1: Were you a basketball superstar growing up? Or was it just something you grew into because I know you grew like myself. I grew about eight inches in the summer, and I think you grew about a foot in about three years. So I was told people who just kind of had that one moment it just kind of goes nuts tell us about it, like Geelong Grammar growing up?
Speaker 2: Were you a basketball superstar?
Speaker 3: Not in the slightest mate. I didn't really take it too seriously until I was like fifteen years old. And you know, the way the way I got into it was I broke my arm. I broke my arm when I was up at Timbertop, which is you know, a campus for Geelong Grammar where you go up there and you hike all these mountains for a four year. You run through the mountains for a four year it's madness, and I snapped my arm pretty severely on the last day of skiing, which is part of our curriculum up there, and when had some X rays and saw a surgeon and blog pretty much told me that I had growth plays in my wrists that were wide open and looked like I was about a five year old. So at that point, I was like six foot one, fourteen years old. Fifteen years old, and he was like, we've been told I was probably going to be like six three as they try and estimate. I don't even know how they do that when he's young, and he was he looked, took one look at him, and he was like, yeah, no, you'll probably be around seven foot So at that point we were like, right, what do I do with this height? Yeah? Gee, long Grammer. Really they have no high school basketball team, you know, you know, the extent of basketball was just club sports on the weekend and that was really it. So, yeah, not a superstar on.
Speaker 2: The slightest you just kind of grew in. Is it one of those things?
Speaker 1: I guess there's not too many seven footer is really rolling around Jeely and Grammar, so they just kind of threw you in the center spot and was like, we'll teach this kid how to play basketball. He's got something you can't teach, and that's hight. I wouldn't be playing ifl wasn't for me being frequently tied. I don't think you've probably played any offense, but if you weren't the same height, so you know a bit of God give it is what they say. But so you started you were center probably for Geelong Grammar. I'm guessing that was it kind of success around that, Like obviously you're in high school and then you go to Saint Mary's.
Speaker 2: Now I know delv Dova.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows Matthew Delvadova and he played to Saint Mary's. Also, is there some kind of weird connection that like they just automatically find all the Australians and send them to the same place to be able to play college ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Mate. So that started off with a bloke by the name of Adam Capewn back in like two thousand and three, where he was the first ossie to go out there, and they just loved how tough he was and how hard he played, and they committed to just like poaching ossies out of there for college basketball, and at that point, not many people had come to America for college hoops, and they just kind of, you know, got a shoeing in Australia and became you know, for Americans, the ideal thing is to go to do Kentucky, you know, all of those North Carolinas of the of the college system, and for Australians it became Saint Mary's And it was just because of the success that was kind of bred out of that. Once we had Paddy Mills go through through there and get drafted of the NBA, it was like, right, every Australian just wants to go there. So I lucked out big time in my recruiting process. I was literally watching him mate play for them, because they come out to Australia and do like a college tour and play against some NBL teams and stuff, and at that point I had no college interest whatsoever. So I was literally walking across the court to go and say good ey to him after the game, and the coaches saw me and they said, right, like, who's this big, big fellow, Like we need to go and check him out too. Like two weeks later, I'm down at the high school and again like we had no John Grammer didn't have a high school team. So I picked up I picked nine of my mates, and I just said, fellas, like, I've got this crazy opportunity. These idiots are coming to check me out and see if I'm any good at basketball, Like, can we just like put together a little scrimmage for him, Pretend that we've got a high school team. So I rock up with these blokes and we run through like a full scrimmage right in front of this coach and the coach the story is, the coach calls back to Saint Mary's and he's like, I think he's okay, but I can't really tell because he's playing against like a bunch of five foot three blokes that he looks like he's just picked up off the side of the road. You know. Next next minute, I'm on a flight out to Saint Mary's for like an official visit. Anyway, I get there, somehow impress them, and I was literally so unfit that we were doing again, we were doing like an open court scrimmage. I couldn't get up. I couldn't get up halfway up the court by the end of the day. And from that, somehow they pulled me into the office and they said, we like your touch, we like how you move, even though I wasn't really moving too far. You know, we want to offer you a scholarship. And I just said, yep, I'll take it done. That was it. I've walked in the room, said yep, I'm going to going to Saint Mary's and that was it. Had no other options whatsoever. So I mean to you, now that unfolded.
Speaker 1: Did you already mentally prepare yourself to want to move to America to play college ball?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I started. I'd started sitting SATs, and I knew that that was something I wanted to do because I definitely wasn't going to be good enough to go straight to the NBL or somewhere in Europe or something. I was very raw, and you know, I mean honestly, I wasn't that talented. So the goal in mine was, you know, maybe I'll get to a Division two school. Kind of worked my way out through through the ranks in America and somehow Saint Mary's saw something in me and kind of just tip the hat and said, right like, we think you got something, let's let's give it a crack. So, yeah, I was sitting SATs around that time, like trying to prep myself to do it, but I honestly never thought that I'd be playing Division one basketball. And at that point in time, I was like, this is the craziest thing ever, Like I've gotten to Division one basketball in college, Like this must be as good as it gets.
Speaker 1: That's it's that's wild, maccause it's your store is so similar to mine, where it's just like things happen, you take it, you run with it, you make the most of it. The next thing happens, you take it, your run with it, you make the most of it, and you just keep leveling up and then you get to the top top tier playing in the NBA like you are at the moment, man is there, Like, I mean, you look at your fair I think whenever I told my family I was coming to Australia to play AFL, and they were probably like, what the hell's AFL first of all, but second of all, they had a bit of reserve. I guess about me going overseas to put like I don't know, be essentially looked after by other people, like did you have anyone there? Like obviously talking about that coach that recruited you. Do you have anyone that kind of took you in as a bit of like support over there that had Australian I guess like connection or something is I found it? Whenever I came here, I was really just on my own, Like it was just there was not really anyone I knew in the country. I didn't know have any connection to anyone in the country and had to really make friends from scratch, and obviously that being with the team definitely helps. Was there anyone that kind of was that connector for.
Speaker 3: You, Well, we had my first year there, we had we had two other Australians on the team, and I was familiar with them but wasn't really too close to them before going to Saint Mary's. But I mean, mate, I just hung out with them day and night and we just like it was just like a little Australian click we had. And by my third year we actually outnumbered the Americans. We had eight Australians on our team in the third year at Saint Mary's, So it was like it was pretty it was pretty wild and pretty rare timing to have them all there. But yeah, by the end of it, it was like we had a little you know, Aussie community within the team and we'd all just hang out together and that was it. Mate, I'm gonna be honest with you. I had pretty much zero friends outside of the basketball team. I was just and that's kind of how it goes in college, Like you just hang out with your team day and night, and you party with them, you go on the road and you play with them, and then you know, it's just like around the clock. And especially at that point in time when when we went in because we do summer school, there's no other students on campus, so you just get this little click going and then you spend your whole year with them and it's not so bad. Like, honestly, I really enjoyed it. So yeah, those those boys helped me through that first year a lot. But you know, by the end of it, it was like we pretty much had like a small country town living at Saint.
Speaker 1: Mary's Australian community with the accents everywhere. You would have been the kings of the town. I'm sure was playing in an Australian accident over saying Saint Mary's.
Speaker 2: I must side.
Speaker 1: Now I've gotta ask this because remember, you get recruited to college. Rot Now you have to sell the experience of college because you're not getting paid there. It's a school you go to play basketball and you also get education. Now, I was never fortunate enough to experience one of these, but the recruitment trips are always very interesting.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: They take you out, they take you out for a good time. They try to show you that the town has got some life to it, that playing here is going to be good fun for the next four years, or it might be get a college degree. But also maybe you don't have a bit of a enjoyable time away from the basketball court. Also, was there anything I guess you're probably on both sides, obviously the recruiting of you and ever you got there, but also probably trying to recruit others to the basketball team once you were on the team. Is there anything you did specifically? I mean, I'm looking for party stories here. I'm gonna be honest, Jock, of just something that's because I've been through college, I've seen some of the stuff that happens, and I know not all of that we can talk about on the podcast, But I'm just trying to get a little snippet from you.
Speaker 3: Brother. I'm going to have to disappoint you here. When I got there, it was it was break for the rest of the college. So it was literally just me and the boys at school. There was no one else there, but they definitely had told me stories about previous They were like, they probably didn't like me that much, to be honest with you, because they were like, look like all these other fellows that we bring in, like this is typically what we go and do, we go to parties, we set them up, blah blah blah. And for me, I rolled in there and I was pretty much they were just like, here, look, we got nothing for it. So it was out to dinner with the coaches. I was just hanging out. I was hanging out with a bunch of old men, and I was like, this doesn't feel right. Actually, this isn't isn't the right kind of way you sell college. But that was as good as good as it got for me. So again I had no options so that they really didn't have to sell me on too much.
Speaker 2: And so we had very different college experiences.
Speaker 1: Jock, I must ask though, because whenever you go to the US, right, and this is something I've learned in reverse, the culture is a little bit different now. The music they play, the things they pay attention to very different, right, a bit more rap music and things along those lines where I found it house music here in Australia, a lot of techno and.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Was that something you kind of you got there and you're like, oh my gosh. Like I was like one of the few white guys on the team, so I was the least hoard of anyone there, and I kind of feel like sometimes I went in there and I was it was a real culture shock at times of some of the stuff out here. But was there anything I guess going to Saint Mary's, what was the biggest thing that was a shock for you moving to the US and getting into basketball over there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was definitely. It was definitely kind of the locker room chat, the music scene, you know, all those typical things were just completely different. Also, Like I mean, maybe in college and a lot of the big party schools, like you know, they typically at least what I founder is like a lot of the guys kind of go out and they act cool, whereas in Australia it's let's go out and just see how Like I'm going to my best mates to see how many drinks I can drink compared to you and just see who gets the most maggeted. So definitely went in there doing that, and it was everyone was a little bit like, fuck is this guy? Like what is he doing? Just like of his chops at like the first party he's ever been to it at school, So I look, I definitely made a mess of myself, like multiple times the same areas, but I managed one of my best mates. One of my best mates now is an American from San Diego, and I fully converted him into an honorary Australian. He's like yourself, mate, Like he just loved the culture so much that I've got him doing like danger cans and smacking these these beer bottles against his head and stuff like, and all these Americans are looking at us like who are these guys? Probably explains why I had no mates because I was acting up like this outside of the bus well tame, but mate, it was it was such a live so I used to really really lean into that that cultural difference and and and just actor. For the entire four years I was acting like an absolute idiot. But yeah, I can imagine some good stories there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine because I'm whenever I go back to America, I mean, I've got to be of a hybrid accent. Now now you still have a very strong Australian accent. I play up the Australian accent over there, like it. It bodes well. Jocket boats very well over there, just in conversation. Whatever it may be. People are just interested in an Australian accent because they just don't hear it very often. Now were the times, I guess when you first came there, you were like, Okay, you gotta try. Veggie might like, no, we don't all ride kangaroos. There's not qualas everywhere. Did you have to give them the basics of what's going on in Australia because a lot of people over there very ignorant of what's happening in this country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mate, all the time? You know, drop is if if all you know, you're walking through the city, people think that you're just getting attacked by like snakes, anders and stuff, and it's like you never see him. All that stuff is just like NonStop. And sometimes I mean, look a lot of the time I really milked it. And you know, even when we had this this bloke, Evan fits out to our He ended up coming out to Australia and coming out to my farm with all my mates, and the whole time we were just like, right, let's commit to just like scaring him about drop as. So like I fully set set it in stone for two years. I was like, you might drops a real, dropers a real And so we get to the farm and we're kind of walking through the bush and he's looking up the whole time. Yeah, so we fully committed, like fully committed to it, fully committed to the whole the whole thing. But I mean, you have to write like you've got to. You've got to make the most of the Australian and American differences. And look, there's probably things that I think about Americans to this day that people have told me that are just completely false. So shoes probably on the other foot as well.
Speaker 1: I do find it amazing they do think every single thing in this country kills everyone, and there are there are a lot of dangers, but I think from Melbourne Geelong area, not nearly as many as probably up in northern Queensland. I will say there's not crocodile as drumming around like most people think in sharks, Yes they're in the water, but they don't eat people on a daily basis. It's tough to explain that to Americans over there. But I want to go a little bit now away from the American experience like college. We could talk about that, but I think it'd be a little bit We wouldn't be pc enough probably to be able to talk fully into it.
Speaker 2: Maybe one day, Chock, maybe one day and never.
Speaker 3: Both retired day. Maybe off the record, off the.
Speaker 2: Record, after dark or something.
Speaker 1: Now we'll go into You've gone and played in some crazy places. I've got here, you got Lithuania and Serbia. Now I can't imagine ever in your life coming from Geelong you would have thought would to being in a professional environment playing sport in Lithuania or Serbia. Now a lot of people pled to understand how you end up there, Like I know, there's the agency side of things, like in twenty eighteen when undrafted and then you go over there to play to try to you know, I guess, increase your your status in the basketball world to try to get picked up by an NBA team. Can you explain, I guess how that works to someone who's ignorant and how that is, Like, it's very tough for people to understand exactly how do you get to the NBA and how hard it is to get to the NBA and how much, like I guess, you have to do beforehand. And a lot of people go over to these Eastern European countries to be able to play, to get there, to get experience, to be able to kind of see themselves in front of NBA scouts and stuff like, what was your personal experience? Did you just put full faith in your agent to find someone that was able to find a team out in Serbia, that in Lithuania to be able to have you play.
Speaker 3: Without getting too deep into the agency things, I initially put a lot of faith into my first group of agents. So pretty much like straight out of college when played in the summer League. Sorry, so to take us back a step further, you finish a college season, you're pretty much straight on the road for a month and you're traveling around, you're booking individual workouts with all of these NBA teams towards the end of their season. So right around now or next month, they start bringing in college guys to to you know, work them out against one another. You usually go in like a group of six. So I did that for a month straight. I booked like thirteen or fourteen workouts across a month, so you can imagine that's a month on the road. You're living on the road, and it's you know, workout in Brooklyn on a Monday, travel Tuesday to Milwaukee, work out in Milwaukee on a Wednesday, and that is just a month straight. Like didn't get back to school for a month. So did that. You kind of get a feel on which teams are interested, which teams are not, and your agents start having conversations with them around you know, will they draft you. So I had a bit of interest in the draft. I thought that I was going to be good because I was an All American. My college career kind of spoke for itself. But they, like, what they failed to kind of tell you is that, like your college career means nothing in the eyes of the professional league. So you can do all this stuff in college and they'll just be like, yeah, but does your game translate to the pros? And it really is like a different game. They just don't tell you that. So I go to the draft. Sorry, I got the draft night comes, I'm back in Australia with my family and friends and you know, they're all around at the house. You know, we all think that it's going to be life is good and end up going undrafted. So that's like a brutal That was a brutal night. I thought that my career was like over at that point. So anyways, I get a call from the Atlanta Hawks and they say, we want to bring you in to go and play in our summer league team. And that's what I do. Now. You know, same draft classes as Trey Young, and so the whole summer league experiences is centered around let's see how good we can make Trey Young and kind of get him, you know, get a good feel for him in the NBA system. So that whole, that whole, that whole experience probably wasn't what I wanted from it because there was like, you know, maybe ten shots to go around to players outside of their core. So end up starting for the Atlanta Hawks and I literally average like one and a half points and maybe two rebounds or something like that in twenty minutes, which is just embarrassing. So come out of that like morale is very low. I ended up jumping in a car and meeting up with a mate and we went. You know, we just kind of road trips around America, not knowing what was going to be next. Get a call towards the end of that and my agent says, you know, we've got we've got a contract off you from some joint in Italy. We got one for you from from Serbia. Now, I had like a pretty good relationship with a good fella or a really successful basketball player called David Anderson out of Australia, and I kind of leant on him a little bit and said, hey, mate, like what do you think of these clubs? And he said, no, brain, to go to Serbia, Like, Serbia is the place you want to be, is a young basketball player. The club itself partisan is legendary. You know. You see these videos of basketball crowds lighting up flares, throwing them on the court, all the toilet paper, and that's them. Like that is literally partisan. So I go to this environment and like it just slaps me in the face of like I've never been around such die hard, intense, passionate fan base that like I was. I was in shock for a little while. And we had a coach there initially who wasn't really playing me. Now we got off to like a two and eleven start, which you know in Europe is damn near like a death sentence. Like they live and breathe for this stuff. So if you're losing, that's like they're losing and they and they take that out on you. So anyways, we fire him. We bring in this guy, Andrea Trinkerry, who's probably one of the most influential people in my basketball career, and he kind of changes the trajectory of my career entirely, and I never forget it. We had this, we had this, We had this training one day where we had no coach at the time, but he was arriving at the end of training and he pulls up and he says, right, I want to speak to each of you individually. Stick around. It'll be five minutes ahead. So one by one they go up. Now I'm a rookie, so I'm obviously the end of the line. That's kind of how the basketball world works. And I'm at the very end of the line. And I walk into his office and everyone's walking out of there like blue in the face. They're just like by the like in shock or they're red in the face and just really angry. There was like maybe two of us who came out of that like in a good spot. I walked in there expecting to be just like rung out because I'd hardly played, and when I had played, I hadn't really played that well. And he said to me, mate, I've seen you play. I want to build the team around you. Because essentially the message that I got out of that meeting and I was in shock. I was like, is this going fucking crazy, Like I've had a shocking start to my season, Like he's going to put me in a terrible spot with the fans, Like I was a little bit nervous. Anyways, we go on an absolute tear, we win the Serbian Cup, we make the playoffs for the first time in a couple of years. We just go on a rampage and have a great season. But the experience basketball wise was next to none. It was just like, still one of my most valued memories on the court was playing in front of those Serbian fans, and you know, the passion that they show really trickled over into my game. My game is predicated off energy, high intensity. As you see, I've run up and down this court, scream in like a dickhead half the time. But you know that that kind of comes from Serbia. That's that's that's really where that comes from. And when it was good, it was good, but when it was bad, it was bad. Mate. So they have this rivalry with Red Star out there, and you know, we played against Red Star and we lost, but I had my best game of the season. This is like three games after this coach gets here. We lost to this Serbian, to this other Serbian team straight out of Belgrade, and they were our biggest rivals. And I've had this great game. I think, you know, it's all good. I'm just going to jump in the cargo home. I'm feeling good about myself. And one of my teammates is like, don't go outside, like wait till the fans completely clear out of there. And so I was like, mate, he's off, Like I'm fine, Like you don't know what you're talking about, Like, I've had a great game. Anyways, walk out the front and there's just like like a hundred people walking around, like throughout our car park. And you know, I've already told this story before and it's been out there, but like a blow a bloke ends up like Sewn showing is like he's shown his gun to me, and I'm just like, what is going on right now? Like I've just had this game, and this is how you're treating me. And that was like the first experience of their passion for the sport, and it changed my perspective entirely, Like just just showed that like winning is all that matters, and and that's kind of been my experience. That's far now. That's kind of like how things go. So, you know, don't make the NBA, you get bumped to a low level in Serbia or lower level in Servia, and then you kind of have to build your way up through Europe. So I have this great season in Serbia, I've got stories and stories like that, but I end up towards the end of the season, I start getting some interest from the NBA agency. At the time, I don't want to bad mouth them because I've already dealt with that, But you know, we end up signing it a deal in Lithuania behind closed doors. Nobody knows about it, not even the team you know, in Serbia, and it all goes really really badly. So probably would have and should have been signed to an NBA roster out of that season because I had such a great season in such a well respected league in Europe. So it's like EuroCup and EuroLeague pretty much the top top two leagues as well as the NBL outside of the NBA, and I was in euro Cup, so I was right there in like the third best league. I'd say, so I have this great, great season there, I get interest from a EuroLeague club, which is like another great stepping zone, legendary coach, and I also had some interest from the NBA. But I was so skeptical on whether or not the NBA was going to happen because of my experience from the past. But I was like, right, I'm going to sign with the Lithuanian team and have like a safety net there, and then I'll go to Summer League. I'll play in Summer League and then hopefully signed a deal in the NBA. Now we'd agreed to a deal with the Lithuanian team and the Serbian team eventually finds out and I'm injured at the time, and they're trying to force me to play through this injury, and I was like, guys, I can't play through this injury, like playing and simple, I just cannot play through this and my ankle's completely stuffed, and they're like you have to or otherwise you have to stay in Serbia. We're you're not allowed to be around the team, you're not allowed to use their facilities, nothing like that. So I was essentially stuck in my apartment for like, I think it was like probably like six to ten weeks roughly, but I was there just like sitting on a bunk ankle and as you know, like that's really bad for the ankles if you just fully immobilize it after a sprain. So I actually tear one of the three ligaments on the outside of my ankle completely and I just don't get any any treatment. So anyways, my new agent kind of comes in and he's like, oh sorry, it was actually still the old group. They're like, right, we've gotten this team to let you go back to America and rehab your ankle. If you get it healthy before the season finishes, then you go straight back and you finish out the season. If not, then you stay there play in the NBA, and they'll get like, you know that that's a good look for them. Anyways, I'm bags packed, ready to roll, and my agent gives me a call and is like, hey, you need to like pack your bags now get on a flight, like some shit shit's going down. The club has kind of found out about it. Blah blah blah. Let's get you out of there right now before they like, you know, come and find you and you know, figure this out. So I'm bags packed in twenty five minutes, all year's worth of my life into two bags, and twenty five minutes out the front door on a plane. I'm thinking I'm going back to America. And I get to the airport, my agent calls me, is like, hey, we're gonna actually fly you to Lithuania to do your physical for that contract, and then we'll bring you back to America. It's a really long winded story, mate, but essentially, I jump on a plane. I jump on a plane from Serbia to Poland Warsaw, Poland I think it is, and then connect there to Lithuania. But as I land in Poland, I open up my phone and I have like I couldn't even couldn't even tell you, I've never experienced anything like that. Many notifications just going through my phone. I must have been a thousand notifications down there, probably an exaggeration, but I'm like, what is going on. I'm looking through my phone and the Lithuanian team has caught wind that I'm coming to Lithuania. It was meant to be a secret, and they've pumped out we have signed Jock Landale, very excited to have him on our team, blah bah blah, and the Serbian team's like, hang, I'm like, we've not agreed to this, Like how have you signed this contract and not told us? So then they call my agents and they're like get him back here, like he's not allowed to leave. He's sticking around here and he's going to play. And I just called my agents and I was like, this is like, we've got to figure this out. Like I'm not going back, essentially said to him. I was like, I'm not going back. They're just going to keep me hostage there for another ten weeks. And at the time, I was really dealing with some bad thoughts and dark, dark side of the mental head space, and I was like, I literally cannot go back and sit in that apartment in isolation for any more time. So two days in Lithuania, whilst they figure that out and then go back to back to San Diego where I rehab with my best mate down there and just kind of do my own thing. And so we finally get that deal with Serbia sorted out. But essentially my buyout goes from it was about one hundred k, which is like on the lower level, up to seven hundred and fifty thousan dollars just like that because of such like a botch situation, a bit of a bit of unluck, I mean a bit of you know, I don't like, we just didn't have much luck on our side, but we get there. The buyout goes through the roof. And that's that's a big piece of the puzzle because essentially, I have this great I have this great innings in Summer League with the Milwaukee Bucks. You know, I'm one of the best five players named in that in that competition, and and I'm like, I'm like, we're having conversations, like there are clothes, there are conversations, and you know, little you know, drips of information coming out that like he's going to go to the NBA. Anyways, that's before they find out that I buy out seven hundred and fifty thousand euros and that's yeah, it's euros by the way. So anyways, every team after that is like, we're not going to pay you seven hundred fiot thousand euros for you to sign you on a minimum contract because we essentially your minimum contract actually becomes like a two point five million dollar contract at that point, so it's like, well, why would we pay for it that, It doesn't make any sense. Anyways, I go through the you know, the World Cup, I have absolutely like I have there are dates in our contracts that you have to kind of sign these deals before, so I have all these dates in my contracts. Those dates come and go, and I'm like, I'm locked into Lithuania. At this point, I had this phenomenal World Cup series. You know, a couple of the boys on the team at the time are saying, yeah, the coaches want you, to the front office want you, like, let's make it happen. And then I'm like, oh, mate, they're not going to take me with this buyout hanging over my head, and they make the call buyouts there and they're like, yeah, no, we're not doing it. So anyways, I go have a good season in Lithuania. Pretty much, I was on a two year deal in Lithuania and Covid hits halfway through the season. So I come back to Australia to spend time with my family, and you know, at that point, again the mental head space is just completely stuffed and I'm kind of getting to an age where I'm like, I've got to make this NBA transition happen, otherwise it's just going to float by. So we have a conversation with lith Leania and I'm like, I can't come back, so again I'll break my contract. Like not a very good bloke in that regards a couple of years of my career. But I say to him, I'm like, yeah, like I'm not coming back, and then like what do I got to do? Essentially I had to hand back every cent that I'd made from them and was it was broke.
Speaker 1: So I gave it all that to Europe for a few years, and You've come back to zero dollars and then everyone couldn't buy out and You've gone, I sent you have to start back over to try to make it to the NBA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So kind of that all happens, and then luckily pick up a contract with with Melbourne United, have a great year there and they really looked after me well. And then you know, come out to America and again, you know, I was looking. There was a few like opportunities throughout my time in the NBL that just never stuck. And that's what a lot of it is is. It's conversation, it's false promises, and then there's one that comes through and you finally, you finally lock it in. So had a great Olympics. I was told after the NBA that it was probably going to happen, had a great Olympics, and you know, just locked it in whilst I was there, and then from there it was, you know, straight to the NBA. And then you think like right, I've made to the NBA, like life's good. And then you finish your first season, you get traded around three times and it's like we have no idea where we're going to be, so you know it's just like always moving, mate. But yeah, yeah, long winded version of that story and explanation, but that's essentially a lot of business.
Speaker 1: Has worked in my I want to dissect it a bit further because there's a lot there. Like you you've obviously done the Serbia of the Lithuania. There's a lot of contractual talks that a lot of people probably don't understand how how crazy that can be, and being essentially moved to a different country, and then things being out of your control of you know, people releasing information about you that you thought was under wraps and you know the legalities around that, and you're sitting there stuck in a country, not sure what you're going to do. I can only imagine like being so far away from the uncertainty and stuff that's going around your mind at that point. Whenever you'd just got into Lithuania and Serbia and you obviously said the craziness of their fans and everything along those lines, like you're in Lithuania, you're about to go back to America, and then you essentially come back to Australia after COVID happens after going to Lithuania. Now you do play in the NBAL and you play for Melbourne United. You actually win a championship and not to pump guitars up a bit, but you're the NBL Grand Final MVP and then Melbourne United MVP Awards. So safe to say you had a pretty damn good year. Now was that, like, I don't know, because you imagine all the stuff that's happening in the world at that point, you've been through kind of the ringer with the situation of being overseas and this is this is every athlete's worth worst nightmare. We've got a kid on our or a man on our team, Tom Wilson, who has been through something very similar in Europe.
Speaker 3: And to.
Speaker 2: What was he what was he part of? Was he part of the same club.
Speaker 3: Same club in Serbia? Asked me about. I've heard stories of his experience where apparently they would they like, you know, you get to a game in New Jerseys, laid out and they would just stop laying these jersey out. They just wanted him to leave, so they tried to essentially kick him out of the club. But yeah, I've heard stories about Tom because he was at the exact same club I was at.
Speaker 2: It's a ruthless industry.
Speaker 1: I think, like whenever I came to Australia, I had that I was a bit reserved on Will and I should come over here because I thought it might have the same situation that you've kind of had over there. Not knowing what to expect going over there, a bit blind and then trying to figure it out, and if it doesn't work out perfectly, you're essentially stuck there. And like you said, the fans and everyone else has a bit kind of crazy in that sense. Don't get me wrong, calling and fans are crazy, but I think they'd let me leave the country.
Speaker 2: But it is.
Speaker 1: It is a stressful time I can only imagine in life. But then you come back to you you talked about the mental health side and then being able to come back home around friends and family, Like, was that just like whenever you landed in Australia after that experience was just a sigh of relief and just a breath of fresh air, just to be able to get back to your home country to play in the NBA. Like obviously NBA is still at this point what you want to get to, but to be able to get back after this crazy, hectic, best scenario experience you've had now being able to be back home and just almost reset to have another crackic trying to make it to the NBA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like bang on, It was a breath of fresh air. My mental space was so bad through those two years that, especially in Serbia, I got to the point where because it was brand new to me, I'd never dealt with any anxiety or anything like depression or anything like that before, so when I was there, it was new to me. I didn't know how to deal with it, and I didn't really reach out for too much help early on, and eventually I told my family halfway through the year. They came out and visited me for the first time in December or something like that, and I had them there for about two weeks and they left, and that period of them just leaving was like one of the darkest time in my life. And I had to call them and be like like I hate to do this to you and pull you guys out of your own life, but I need one of you over here at all times because I just can't be alone. Like I'm scared to be alone at this point. So I kind of get through that year and again like super scared to go back to Europe because I'm like, I just don't know if I can handle being alone, and I don't want my parents to, like, you know, because what happened was is Mum would come out for a month and then Dad would come out for a month, so they're not seeing each other for you know, a couple of weeks on end, and then my sister would come out for a month, and so I was pulling them out of their own lives. It just helped me get through that period, and like I owe them a shitload for that. But you know, Lithuania comes around and I'm like, I'm like, I just don't know if I can do this because I'm scared to be alone. So kind of have like a pretty stern word with myself and I'm like, no, I'm going to get through this ten month period solo. I need to prove to myself that I can do this, because if I can't do this, then like what's the point and even playing anymore, Like that's kind of a conversation I was having with myself, is if I can't get through this time period solo and like hack it out for you know, to do something that I'm supposed to love at the time, Like, what's the point? So I get through that seven month period, I haven't you know, I have a visited or a visitor or two with a couple of mates, but for the most part, I'm solo out there, and I think the people the thing that people don't understand is kind of how rough and tough the coaches are out there. So you go to work every day and you were just getting belittled and essentially bullied and anyways that that kind of all happens, and I get back to Australia and I'm just like, why would I overleave? Like what I got back to it. I get back during COVID and I'm like, wo would I leave this space? So you know, I spent I spent a month, month and a half up on the farm with my family during the initial stages of COVID, just fishing, fishing the days away. Essentially I was working out a little bit, but I definitely blew out with all the beers that I was drinking on the river. And then you know, come back down to Melbourne to kind of really start getting stuck into it because there's rumblings that I could be off, like getting off to the US. So I start getting back in shape and you know, lucky, lucky enough to meet my wife to be and it was just like another one of those things where it was like why would I leave. I've met her, you know, super happy in Australia. I've got my mates around, I've got all that around, and that's kind of what sparked the interest of well, if the NBA doesn't happen, like I'm playing the NBL for sure. So you know, that's where that's where I had to buy myself out of my contract and I was like, I was just because of my experiences out there. I think it would be a lot different now having someone with me, obviously, but because of my experiences for the past two years out there, I was like, I'm willing to give everything I've got to get out of that contract and go on playing the NBL. And on top of that, the NBL was doing a really good job of producing players to go and play in the NBA. So you know, I worked out with the Melbourne United Boys for essentially the whole time that COVID was going on, and some of my best mates nowadays are from that team and Chris Goulding, Dave Bali Barlow, a couple of the other boys. And it was the best decision I ever made, spending you know, a year, year and a half back back in Australia, meeting the missus, hanging out with all the fellas and reconnecting with the family was just the best thing that could have happened. And then fell in love with the sport again. Like that's That's the one thing that I'm super appreciative of is those days out in Europe. It was really hard to get up and about for these games and enjoy while I was there because I started blaming, blaming basketball for all of my mental struggles at the time. So you know, get out of there, go back to Australia and learn to lot everything again and lost was lost pretty good since then.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, man.
Speaker 1: I think you always talking about the people you surround yourself and the rocks of friendships and partnerships and family and stuff like that, and how it can, I guess give you so much energy and what you do for a living luck in.
Speaker 2: Basketball or football or sport or work, whatever.
Speaker 3: It might be.
Speaker 2: It's it's happy.
Speaker 1: I think whenever you found that person that supports you and no matter what, in that manner, like it just makes you go to another level and whenever you well, whatever you do to be honest and it's cool. Yeah, see giving back to a bit of the career and stuff. Fuck you go back to to Melbourne, you do that Melbourne, United Killer your year, absolutely smash it. And then you go to Tokyo for the Olympics. Now Tokyo and the Olympics wild talk, absolutely wild experience, Like did just show up there and there was just like what was what was it?
Speaker 3: FU?
Speaker 1: Walk me through because I think I've always been interested to know the details of what was happening over there because it was so unique of a situation that will never probably happen again in our lifetimes hopefully, And the whole country was shut down, but sport was still going on, and and like there was I guess anger was some of the people there, and then other people were excited that something was happening, Like what was your personal experiences? It wasn't it would have been Olympics unlike any other that will ever happen again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean I'll take it back a step further to our like pre Olympic kind of campaign. So finish the NBL season, I have four days to celebrate that championship, and I jet off to La touchdown in LA and we do like three days in LA with the squad, and we jump on a bus and we go to Vegas. So we to our camp out in Vegas, and the first day we get there, they essentially like our life in Vegas was on two floors in the hotel they blocked off for our squads, the men's and women's and and we weren't allowed outside of outside of that because the Olympic Committee said to essentially the whole world. They said, if you have COVID within two weeks in the build up to get into the Olympics, your whole squad retires. So if anyone on our team had COVID, the whole team gets taken out of the Olympics. And that's how strict they were being. So we're in Vegas, possibly the worst place in the world to be for COVID reasons, with all the nightclubs, the gambling, all that, and we couldn't do any of it. So it was hotel room. Jim back to the you know, we had a hangout area. All the boys would sit there, a couple of bottles of wine, plays in ping pong whatever it was, and then training and it was just the whole time. We were like that for two weeks inside of a Vegas hotel. Anyways, we made the whole like everyone was dreading the travel to the Olympics, because you know, Vegas to Jesus. I think we were Vegas Direct to Tokyo. Maybe I don't even remember, but I know it was LA Sorry, it's LA Director to the Tokyo. So we jump on a plane. We go back to LA flight to Tokyo, which is like I want to say, it's like eighteen hours or something like, oh, maybe not that much, maybe fourteen hours or something. No, no, no, no, that's but like nobody's flying at this point, so it's essentially a private jetular. So we we jump on a plane. We get there, and we're dreading this because they've told us once you get there, you've got to get screened for COVID. And when they screen, they mean go through this brutal like process of vaccination reports, like all this stuff. Then you have to go to the spit and swab and we do that and then they put us down just into a random terminal and they're like, right, wait here and we'll get your results. Mate. We waited in that terminal for nine and a half hours. We sat in that fucking terminal for nine and a half hours, and ours was the longest period. Now I heard America breeze through there in about our forty five we were there, not nine and a half hours we were there. So anyways, we get out of there, jump on a bus and we go to the village and everyone who's like asleep on this bus is dead, like we're hacking sacking in the airport, trying to kill time. It was a pisser, But get to the get to the village, and they are essentially they are essentially like, right, these are your hotels as we're staying, jump in these little golf carts and they take you to your your you take you to your dormitory or wherever the country is staying. May we pull up into this joint at probably like I don't know, it's probably two am, three am or something like that, and we walk into we walk into our our little room, and we're sleeping on cardboard boxes. So that's that's the first thing of like what have we got now? I was into so sleeping on cardboard boxes with this paper thin mattress. From there, it was just a bizarre experience. Like we do the you know, obviously I've not done another Olympics yet, but it'll be good to have a comparison in a year's time. But you know, we roll in and it's you can't mingle with other countries, like full stop. You can't spend time with them, nothing like that because they're really trying to just make sure no COVID has spread. The dining room. They've got like plastic boards up in front of your face, so you're all sectioned off in your own cubicles, like trying to yell over the over the plastic to the person in front of you to have a conversation. It's bizarre. You know, you've got to do COVID testing every now and again, like to really be sure. You know, you go to practice and they've they've completely sectioned every quarter from one another, so no, no teams are allowed to crossover whatsoever. You COVID screen in and out like temperature check and all that, in and out of the village. Like it was just bizarre. But the weirdest, the weirdest two things were, you know, a opening ceremony, like bizarre. We walked through this humongous stadium, straight through the guts of it, like all of the cool things happen on either side of us. But you look out at the stands and there's like fifteen twenty people kind of just like spotted around this stadium and you're just like, this just doesn't feel right, Like no roar of a crowd. They might have had a roar of a crowd playing on the speaker actually, but there's just no crowd kind of like yelling. They've got all this cool lights going on and stuff, but like there's you literally see like one person in one section. The next session there's maybe one up the top, one down the bottom, and it just looked like bizarre little flies on the wall or something like that. So that was that was really strange. And then the other weird thing was like, so the basketball stadium was probably like thirty five minutes outside of the village. The weirdest part was jumping on that going and driving along these freeways and looking down into like Tokyo and the streets are just naked, like not a person's fucking Tokyo. So we get we get to this, you know, on top of that, you get to the stadium and the stadium's empty. Now I was used to that at that point because the NBL we played pretty much for most of our final series with no fans, but mate, there was just like it was nothing. There was nobody around. You forgot what a crowd felt like, you forgot what interaction with other people felt like. And from what I've gathered, like most of the fun in the Olympics is you know, you swap pins with other countries and stuff, and you just weren't really allowed to do that because you couldn't mingle with them. So yeah, it was really bizarre bzar setup where you've got, you know, all these people in a in a community, but you can't actually speak to any of them. So yeah, it was really strange.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like maybe the strange experience and the inability, I guess to be able to interact with other people, Like everyone talks about that Olympic culture of basketball, and you know what you've been, what they've been able to create there is why it's so successful. Do you think like that maybe the situation almost added to how close the team actually is because I feel like everyone's so supportive of every other person that's on there, and that's unlike I mean, like us say, it's pretty individualistic and they just go together for one part of the year and that's it and they move on. Like I feel like the Aussie team, like they're actually like friends and mates and they want to go well together as a team, and that's what makes it such a good like strong side and that I can only imagine. I'm not going to speak for yourself, you can speak for it, but like that experience of just the chaos in the nine and a half hours in the airport and like everything else that just added up to it, Like you essentially get to know everyone as mates at that point because you're spending so much time together.
Speaker 3: And you're just kind of telling yourself the whole time, like it's going to be a heck of the story once we come out of this thing with the metal, Like, imagine them what we We'll be able to tell our kids what we went through to get this blah blah blah. But yeah, exactly right. We Australia had they'd done our setup really well. But essentially downstairs, you know, you come back from the dining room along this straight road and then you kind of take like a like a real shallow turn and there's like this grass area and Australia had set up like a little coffee shop right there, so everyone you come back from your training, you come back from breakfast you come back from your event. Pretty much from like seven am onwards until like ten o'clock at night, that little area is just like packed with people having a coffee, having a drink whatever it might be. Now it was a dry campus. That was also bizarre, like they didn't want alcohol on because you couldn't get it from the outside world. I'm sure people snuck it in, but I mean we certainly did on the last night. But yeah, it was like the whole time that little area was just pumping for Australia with coffees and then they had you know, three screens going with the with the various events on it, and that's where we all really mingled with one another within Australia. And you know, I feel as though that like I only all hear about the stories in the Olympics, how like it's all about going out, chasing tail and all of that kind of stuff. And like I feel as though because that experience was taken away for the most part, like you couldn't go and experience like getting to know somebody from another country or whatever. Like the whole Australian community really like became tight and we were all just hanging out with one another, getting around one another on the big screen. And the prime example of that was we came back from winning our bronze medal. We're walking through the rain with like we had some hilltop hoods or something going on, like on this big speaker, Like boys are walking through that. It was like something out of a fucking movie. I remember like being like kind of at the back of the pack, you know, double parked. We're like two long neck Asahi's or something like that, and you know, our young buck at the time, Josh Green's got this speaker of his shoulder. We were walking down the hilltop hoods and rain's pissing down and you just kind of see the lights from around the corner and then there's just like a hundred people just standing there like you know, rawing for us, like let's fucking go, and then we just like slam the speakers down and we just start like and there's this there's a video that went out about us, and we're all just down there like dancing to this music. And just like the night just launched after that, because it was what we were one of the last events to finished. So we finished that. We come back to like this warm welcome from Australia, and it was just on for fucking young and old. After that, I'm.
Speaker 1: Real video Patty Mills is having a few drinks and stuff, having a grand old time.
Speaker 2: Forget. I'm like, you never see that, you never see that side of them.
Speaker 3: But that's rare from Patty, mate, that is rare from Paddy. So when you finally get Paddy, I mean, I haven't got some great Paddy Mills stories that you won't want me to tell, but when you get that out of Paddy, like he can go with the best of them. So yeah, that was that was high level. Like for the most part, everyone was bloody dialed in. And even when we were like you know, hanging out and having free time, we were typically like in our own little click. We were all so like so dialed in that we were just like not like, you know, the partying and stuff can wait, Like we need to get this medal now, like this is our year to get this medal and we're not going to let it slip. So yeah, no, we were pretty locked in. But it's it's it's a good time. It was a good time and I'm pumped for Parish.
Speaker 1: Paris is going to be unreal. Now you've got a bit of a rivalry going with the US. I feel like people here just want to just to show the US and you did beat America here in Melbourne. Yeah, I was at that game and ship that was awkward for me. That much trash talk all the way out of that joint. Well, I'm half Australia now I've got the dual citizenship. But people have drilled me after that just saying I was a terrible human. But it's a bit of a rivalry now. Like obviously, like America is a stronghold on the on the basketball side of things, but Australia's really pushing them and taking them to the limit. Now, like, have you been able to train with the team together since, Like are you kind of getting in the point now your year out where you're now kind of getting your mind ready for that side of things and really prepping to hopefully when you know, go one two further, maybe won a gold medal in this Olympic Games coming out for sure.
Speaker 3: That's the plan. Now we haven't we haven't earn any chance to get together in practice that that kind of happens this offseason. So this offseason we've got the World Cup, and the World Cup is whilst it's a big deal for us, it's a little bit of a tune up for the Olympics. So you know, we come together in Australia this off season and I think we own up to Cans for our for our camp for two weeks. There'll be like a bit of a selection camp for a few days and then we'll put together a bit more of a camp with the squad itself and really piece it together and then we come back to Melbourne, we'll run run a couple of games and Rod Laver Arena and then and then we jet off for the World Cup. So the World cup's really you know, it's a chance to get to know one another and gain a little bit of that camaraderie that you know you have in the years prior and with a lot of a lot of the players and mainstays, like you know, we all know how to play with one another and it's really easy to play with one another. Is the thing that we probably don't realize is the way that we play as an Australian national team is really really tough and sharing the ball and all of that stuff, and it's never about one blog, so it becomes really really easy to gell and that's what you find in camp. You walk in there and you're just like, it's like, I've been playing with these blogs for years. So yeah, the World Cup really is that time to get familiar with one another again and kind of get on track.
Speaker 1: There's rumors there's going to be some big superstars coming to us, given the fact that's in the time zone of kind of similar times on us too, did Japan? I think where the World Cup's going to be played, and Tim will tell, Tom will tell what big names come around and what big teams come out here. But we'll get into the next side of things, like it's we haven't even talked about it. Mate, your NBA career, Like what you're doing now. You play for the Phoenix Suns, which is a hell of an accomplishment, and you're on a superstar list of a team. I mean, you've got people all in that, Devin Booker, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul d'andre sorry, DeAndre Payton, Like there's DeAndre and there's a lot of people there that are in the mainstays well known people in the NBA circles how is it now being on a team that has superstars surrounded yourself, Like, do you kind of feel like you're playing you got to play up to that level, you know of these people that are have been around for a long time and played the lot of NBA All Star Games and things along that nature.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, it definitely is a little bit of added pressure to keep up with the best of them, especially when when you know you're trying to win a championship. But at the same time, like, mate, some of the easiest basketball I've ever played in regards to like how many open shots I'm able to you know, get in the game because you know, I'm just I'm just a bum from Australia who's like on this team trying to just like you know, fill in the blanks, and you know, everything is directed at how do we stop Kevin Durant, How do we stop Devin Booker, How do we stop Chris Paul, How do we stop DeAndre Aid? And so you throw me out there with you know a lot of the times my rotations are with Kevin and and book and it's just like everything gets you know, everyone's looking at them, and I just kind of like find my way through the gaps, and that's that's where I'm really at my best, is when I'm able to just kind of like beat an intangibles guy. And you know, that's that's really played into my my strengths this year, and I think that's why I've had such a good season is that I've been able to play with such high caliber players such as these two, who are willing to move off the ball and you know, get other people involved and they kind of let the game come to them, whereas a lot of circumstars will really try and force the point and you know, carry a team like book and Booking and KD. We know there. You know they're going to get there is no matter what. But they're also super willing to be like no right here, it is like go do your thing as well. So mate, it's been the perfect storm. You know. I probably wasn't meant to be here at the start of the year. Came in and really impressed the crap out of them from day one, and as soon as I got traded here, I was like, right, I'm going in to prove my case and let them know that, like I'm here to stay. I want to stay. So did a great job of that through training camp. Had was just paying at the peak of my career at that point, and you know, the earn their trust, and I think that's super hard to do on a contending team. It's to be essentially a new you know, a brand new player in the NBA NBA and come in and earn the trust of the coach and your teammates to you know, do what I've done this year. So I'm pumped. You know, job's definitely not over yet, but yeah, well I'm in a really good, good spot for right now, and I think the teams really start to put it together and you know, hopefully we can make a huge push in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: It's exciting times.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It's a credit to you because I mean, I don't think a lot of people quite understand how hard it is to break it into the NBA and play well in the NBA and and get that trust of a team. Like it's it's not an easy thing if you're a superstar maybe, but like whenever, you know, you've got to work your ass off to get to that point to be trusted by coach.
Speaker 2: It's something very hard.
Speaker 1: I've known a lot of people have tried to do it and haven't been successful, but it's it's amazing to see good people like yourself, you know, put in the time, put in the effort and be.
Speaker 2: Able to represent Australia on the on the global level. Like I don't think.
Speaker 1: People realize how big it is what you're doing over there, especially here in Australia, and it's a it's a credit to you, man, and I'm stoked. I'll start, Man, it's gonna be a excuse my French. It's gonna be a fucking good playoffs. I'm not gonna lot.
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's gonna be good. It's a good stiff that we get paid up with arguably one of the other best two teams in the in the Western Conference. But Clippers are gonna be tough, man. They're they're a heck of a team and if they get pulled George back, it'll be it'll be a serious, serious battle. So I'm excuse my French. I'm fucking pumped. I think I probably should have said excuse my French a few few more times in this podcast. But yeah, it's going to be unreal to get to do it here in Phoenix, which you know arguably top top three four fan bases. And I'm not doing that to earn the love fans or anything like that, but they are can mental when they want to be. So to be able to do it here for you know, up to twenty eight games is awesome. And then to go to the you know, the big scene in LA and do it there for a first round of the playoffs, like this is my first playoffs ever and this is what I get to do. It's it's yeah, very very excited and appreciative and just stoked with the opportunity.
Speaker 1: The absolutely pinnacle man and Dan, We're excited for you, well, cheering you on a rooting I don't know if you can stay routing you on nowadays.
Speaker 3: We might be cutting it close on that one.
Speaker 1: I think maybe you could have get away with it being in America now, but I can't do it here in Australia. But well, maturity, It's it's exciting times for you, exciting time of your life man, and for myself, I'm sure everyone else here.
Speaker 2: We just want to wish you all the best.
Speaker 1: It's pretty amazing, like I said, what you've done, and we're super proud of you and I want to wish you all the best with the final series to come.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it, Thanks for having me on M