Speaker 1: The humble potato is an Ozzy favorite, but it often gets a bit of a beating in diet circles as many people still believe that it's fattening. And today we are here to tell you that you can actually eat your potato, enjoy.
Speaker 2: It, and still be very healthy.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Sussie Burrel and I'm Leon Wood and as two of us jay Is leading dieticians who specialize in evidence based nutrition, we bring.
Speaker 2: You the Nutrition Couts Review.
Speaker 1: Are we peach out on new products and old favorites you can find in the supermarket? Leanne potatoes in your household?
Speaker 2: Are you big spud lovers stuff there?
Speaker 3: We ask spud lovers up here, I'd say probably potato. Out of my three favorite calves, potatoes, rice, past We probably do potato first, then rice, than past We're not really a big pasta household. We do a lot of rice and potato. We do love our potato.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I'm just thinking potato myself. When you look at the Satiety Index of foods, which is foods ranked in terms of what is the most filling out there, potatoes are one of the most filling.
Speaker 3: Food Yeah, they rank really hard.
Speaker 2: So I often.
Speaker 1: Suggest my clients enjoy a potato, a cooked potato stuff because you know how, I don't know if they've got these in Brisbane, but in Melbourne they've got spud bars and I just love them. So they don't have them in Sydney or that I'm familiar with, but basically you can go and get like your beautiful potato or sweet potato and it's stuffed with like beans and you have a Mexican potato or a tuna morning potato, and I just think they're such a fantastic filling idea. Now I don't cook them a lot, only because it's just not something on my repertoire, but I'm a big fan and I recommend them frequently for my clients because when you look at the overall carbohydrates compared to things like mash or fries or rice, you know they're relatively low, which is contrary to popular opinion. But of course most people eat the potatoes deep fried, and that's where the problem is. It's not the poor old potato itself.
Speaker 2: So we do do it.
Speaker 1: But in response to that, in the market, there has been a whole range of different potatoes, and you have found the range to go through today, So it's a really good chat. And we should also say potatoes are really cost effective, particularly the moment when food is so expensive. So the first one we've got is just a general brushed so the brown general brown potatoes, the woolies brushed. So two kilos, like two kilos only five dollars fifty like that is so cost effective compared to our you know what we're seeing out there with the other ranges of vegetables at the moment being so very very expensive. So I'm just looking at per serve on here, So is that saying a serve is fifty grams or one hundred.
Speaker 2: It's just cut off a.
Speaker 3: Little bit on my seventy five grams and a serf.
Speaker 1: And then that's the one hundred per hundred grams there, I see. Okay, so the serf. So how if we were describing a potato, and like a small potatoes about one hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, one hundred and one twenty yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So a big one of those jumbo potatoes would be more like one fifty grams. But what you'll see from these numbers at seventy five grams pretty low. So it's seventy five gram potato, which would be a sort of three quarter size. It's got only fifty calories, one point seven grams of protein, no fat, and just less than ten grams of carbohydrate. So what that tells me, Leanne is that a big potato has got twenty grams of carbohydrate all less. Now, if you keep in mind that a cup of cooked rice has got forty five grams, a little potato is not the problem here, particularly if you enjoy it roasted with the jacket on and you're getting all the amazing dietary fiber of about two three grams per serve. So that is my basic description of why there's nothing wrong with potato. It's actually reasonably light overall, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I love potatoes and fun fact, if you cook and cool it so you you know, you roast some potatoes, I'll put them in the fridge over an art and use them in a salad the next day, you're getting this beautiful resistance starch which feeds a good back to you in your gut. So cooked and coot potatoes one of my favorite things to add to salad sousi because it's all for your gut health. But yeah, there's nothing wrong with potatoes. And they're really villified in the media or you really people think, oh, you can't eat white potato, you have to have sweet potato. I don't really love sleeper had of sussium all for the white potato. I mean, I ate so much dietary fiber in my diet, and you know, the GEI of my whole diet is quite low, so I don't really even fuss about a sweet potato. I'd much rather have a humble white potato for me. It's it's a superfood. I absolutely love them. They're really high in fiber. But even per hundred grams if we compare them so because I'm just looking at the other two products and we have the serving size is different. So the serving size per one hundred grams two eighty one killer jeels, two point three grams of protein and nearly thirteen grams of carbohydrates. It's still wonderful even one hundred grams, because that's serving size at seventy five grams is quite low. Like I definitely wouldn't have any seventy five grams of potato. Io'd have a bit more.
Speaker 1: And I think the key thing nutratally, we know potatoes are quite high in vitamin SEA. Actually, even though they're white, which is a bit in your movie associate vitamin C with brightly colored vegetables and fruits, they're quite high in vitamin CEA. But you really, if you can want to keep the jacket on, there's a lot of nutrition in the jacket. It's going to really promote the full factor. And you know it gives a bit of taste and texture to the potato. So as soon as you mash it and you break down some of those stuff molecules, the glycemic index will increase. So if you can enjoy it with the skin, even if you are making chips for the family, wash them and leave the skin on, that's going to be much better for you. Now, the second product we're going to look at is interesting because people would be aware of this one because a few years ago there was some groups in Australia that brought out a lighter type of potato. So this is the spud light product that you can find easily in coals and woolies, and it's got twenty five percent less carbohydrate. That's kind of the sales slogan. I've also noticed nowly and they've got spud lights and then they've got also spud mini, so they've got quite a range. And this retail is at five dollars for one point five kilo, so it's almost double, no not double, a little bit more expensive than the plain potatoes, not overly significantly, and they come in the bag. Now they've described as serving sizes two hundred and fifty grams. Now I have to say that is a lot of potato. It is a lot of PTE one hundred and fifty grams, is it is a jumbo like certainly most clients I would see I wouldn't be suggesting they have that much. I'd be sort of going one maybe one fifty for a large potato for lunch, for dinner, probably closer to one hundred. So I'm going to look at it per hundred grams because I think TOE fifty is a massive serve, even though it's a lighter version. So it's got compared to two eighty one kilodules for the regular potato two hundred and eight kilodels, so it's about, you know, not significant, about third less of calories in that and as such, well not as such, but it's got less protein, which must be to do with the way they've grown because this is a type of potatoes sort of grown in a different way to reduce the overall carbohydrate load. And then compared to our other potatoes twelve point nine grams of carbohydrate, these have got eight point nine, so just a little bit less dietary fiber, similar natural sodium occurring very very low. So it's an interesting product because I know why they're out there, and I think, if anything, they've brought some positive pr to potatoes because we're thinking, oh, there's some hell the aversions. But to be honestly, and I don't think the carbohydrate loading potatoes is so significant that I would be encouraging my clients to have one with twenty five percent few of carbohydrate.
Speaker 2: Now I wouldn't. I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: It's an Australian product and Australian company, you know, we always want to promote them and support them. I think if my clients are choosing to have those potatoes and they like them, no problem. But I probably wouldn't go out of my way to encourage clients to buy them, because I think there's nothing wrong with the good old normal potato. I guess the benefit of some of these is that as I said, the spud lights do have mini so that can be really handy for salads and portion control, but I'm pretty happy with a good old normal potato.
Speaker 2: What do you think.
Speaker 3: I agree. I think there's absolutely nothing wrong with the normal, you know, humble word potato. I think it's wonderful. But the third product I have chosen, SUSI, is one of my favorites, and these ones I do recommend quite a lot of my clients because I work with a volume based eating approach for fat loss for my clients, so they're eating lots of food, they're feeling nice and full, so for me, the calories matter in the safe so they get to eat more potato for less calories. I actually do recommend the third product that we have chosen, But you're right, I don't think between the spud light and the normal potato there's that much of a difference. Maybe if you're on quite a tight energy budget, it does allow you to eat a little bit more, but it's not you know, it's not too significant. But I do think our third products is if you want to talk us through that, this is one that I recommended and I eat myself because I really do enjoy eating lots more potato. Put it that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is interesting actually for someone who doesn't know a huge amount of about potatoes. So these are the Coals Baby Charisma potatoes in the packets, and I have to say, actually, when you go to buy to buy potatoes because they can be so messy. I do like these packets that they have in Coals because they're really clean and easy to buy, which has nothing to do with the nutrition. Of course, good price point, you know, three dollars eighty per kilo. I have a little bit more expensive actually because there are a bit more expensive than the other two. So the first one was two seventy five perkilo for the normal brush potatoes, three thirty three for the spud Lights. And these ones are a little bit more expensive at three eighty per kilo, so not blowing the budget, but a little bit more expensive. Australian grown which is important and certified low GI by the Australian Glycimic Index Foundation. And they also got similar to the spud Light, twenty percent five percent fewer carbs. So if we look at the calories as you've described, they've got just forty five calories per hundred grams or one hundred and ninety kilodels, so that is less than the other two varieties, two point five grams of protein, which is actually more than the other two varieties, and then ten point three grams of carbohydrate, which is a really nice It's slightly higher than the spud light, but nothing significant, and it's sort of sitting in the middle. But I guess the mix is that they've got both the low GI carbohydrates and have been grown to have that. But I think the other thing is in terms of taste and flavor, Charismas are known for their creamy taste. They've got a very nice taste and texture, which is perhaps why you like them, Is that right?
Speaker 3: Definitely, Yeah, I actually really love boasting them as well. But I love these because, you know, per hundred gram so comparing like to like, we've got less calories, less carbohydrates, we've got more dietary fiber, and we've got more protein as well, so and you know, for our diabetics, are actually a really wonderful choice as well. So I really like them. I think they're quite tasty. They do really well if you're roasting them up and throwing them into a salad. The next day if you're just going to have them. I mean, they're not really in their jackets. They're not like their brush potatoes that are coven and dirt. They're you know, you don't really even have to wash them. Really, they're sort of you know, they're pretty clean skinned because I think they're just grown that way. So I really like to just have them as normal roast potatoes. I just chop them up into little pieces, throw them in the air fryer. They're quite small though, so they don't do really well in terms of like chippies or wedges, but they do really well just going to dice them up and throw them in the air fryer or use them as a little bit of sort of chopped potato into a salad the next day. That's how I love to use them, like cooked in cool potato and my salad for my gut health.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good tip.
Speaker 1: It's always go when someone's actually use them, because I think if I was summarizing the way that I would use potatoes smartly as part of a routine, part of a weekly meal plant. As I said, I love them stuffed for lunches, whether it's cottage cheese, I love them with red salmon, tuna, leftover mince or a bean dish and then having that heated up, stuffed, and then with a big salad on the side. It's one of the most filling lunch choices you can have. And then I think if you love things like mashed potato, because those Charisma potatoes mash so beautifully because they are creamy, you could easily mash them with pre cook them, leave the skin on, mash them, and then mix it with pumpkin, zucchini, onion and some extra version olive oil, and you would have the most delicious mash with very little carbohydrate loads of vegetables. So you're getting all the taste and flavor and texture of the potato, but you're also overall reducing the carbohydrate load and still having a delicious mash. So, you know, really versatile and at this point in time, really cost effective way to use a vegetable product in your weekly grocery budget while still enjoying your carbohydrates and the taste and the texture and the full factor that they offer, but absolutely keeping the carbohydrates controlled. So just to reiterate why we have no issue with potato. If you have a cup of carbohydrate. If it's rice, pasta quinoir, you're looking at at least thirty, if not closer to forty to fifty grams of carbohydrate per single cup cooked. And keep in mind that with pasta people will often have double that easily. Now this potato, one potato at one hundred gram sort of a reasonably sized potato has got a ten you know, a third a quarter of that amount of carbohydrate in an entire potato. So the message is there is absolutely nothing wrong with potatoes in general. If you're looking for weight control or fat loss, I'd probably keep an eye on the size. If you're looking at blood glucose control and happy to spend a little bit more. The baby charismas have some benefit to them, but in general, you can't go wrong with it. A spat and just keep your portions controlled and you'll be on the right truck. It's a whole natural food and it's officially one of the most satisfying, filling foods that you can eat.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: As I said, where it goes wrong is where we deep fry them, get rid of all their dietary fiber, and serve them with lashings of oil. That's the problem with potatoes. It's not the jacket spud on your plate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, deep by them seven with sour cream, bacon, topped them with some fries, drowned and ketchup.
Speaker 1: When I was young, left school, I used to work at Sizzler. Is anyone listening who remembers Sizzler or you can Eat Buffet And one of their menu items was the stuffed potato and it was like enormous and that's everything it had in it. It would have been about eight hundred calories, I reckon. So indeed, that's not the way to have potatoes. You want a small potato enjoyed, roasted with the jacket on, and you'll be on the right track.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. And I want to point out, Suzi that those baby Chris potatoes are actually only found in coals. The actually don't stock them in wolas, whereas the middle one we talked about, the spud lights are found in both of them. And all three products today that we went through, the woolst brush potato, the spud lights and also the coals baby Kruism potatoes, all three are actually grown in Australia as well, which I think is really important, particularly at the moment when the cost of things are so expensive, getting sort of local and home grown is really important. So we actually think that all three of these options that we've reviewed here wonderful. But if you are someone who maybe has insulin resistance or as a diabetic, perhaps the last option is you know, could have some health benefits for you. But actually all three of these products, I think, probably for the first time ever, Suzie get the green light and the thumbs up from the Nutrition Couch.
Speaker 2: Very well said I like it.
Speaker 1: And the other thing we will also say is that none of these product segments are sponsored. If we ever do do a sponsored review, it will be very clear, so we're not being paid to endorse any of these products. This is leand and A's independent opinion on these products. And as I said, if we ever do do a sponsorship of a product review, will be very clear to say that. All right, Well, that brings us to the end of the Nutrition Couch product review. If you haven't done so, don't forget to subscribe, and also don't forget that we're about to go on tour and visit lots of you in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, so pop on and get your tickets quick smart at the Nutrition Couch or I should say it's the nutritioncouch dot com is our new website with details on our tickets.
Speaker 2: We love to hear from you on social.
Speaker 1: Media and we will see you on Sunday Hey for our weekly episode drop have a great week.
Speaker 3: Catch you guys next week. And don't forget the early bird ticket price bends on the thirty first of July, so if you want the cheaper discounted ticket prices, jump on the website now at nutritioncouch dot com and grab your tickets.