Speaker 1: Is it just me a podcast by a couple of mitches. MITCHI spoke with Miley Cyrus recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did for the night show on KISSFM. I got Miley sort of last minute. It came through out of nowhere and they were like, you've got eight minutes with Miley, no more, no less.
Speaker 3: It was very exciting, very jealous. I am a big Miley fan.
Speaker 1: In fact, I've watched a lot of Miley interviews. What sort of move was she in?
Speaker 2: Was she in one of those I'm a serious musician not giving you much kind of interviews or was it a bit of fun?
Speaker 3: Oh? It was like brilliant.
Speaker 2: I was worried at first because she popped up on Zoom. So this is hilarious, Right, she pops up on Zoom and I get an email beforehand being like, Miley will join, she'll have a publicist, she'll have hair and makeup.
Speaker 3: I don't know why at Zoom.
Speaker 2: She'll have a PR, she'll have marketing, she'll have a manager, she'll have an agent, she'll have music label that I'll be on the Zoom. Do not start unless everyone's.
Speaker 1: God, that's daunting.
Speaker 3: It was scary.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, okay, in my at home studio, and she pops up first before anyone, ten minutes early.
Speaker 3: So it's just me and Miley, and I didn't know what.
Speaker 2: Was on the I told you do not let her in the room before we're there, but she arrived first. Then here was Miley Cyrus clicking enter Mitch Jury's zoom room. But she wasn't under Miley Cyrus. She must have been using like a label laptop or computer setup. Well, you should have followed their instruction and kicked her out and be like, no, Miley, you're not allowed in until they're in.
Speaker 3: You've ented too early. Miley and I click it. I'm like, oh shit, Hi, Miley Cyrus. So do we hear all that in the recording? Is it the unedited version?
Speaker 2: This is fully unedited. We'll start it from the moment Miley says hi, and you can hear the shee terry in my voice when I realized, oh dear, that's not a label representative, that's Miley Ray Cyrus.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. Let's listen. Give it up for Miley Cyrus.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, oh my god, hey there you are. How are you? Good? Morning?
Speaker 4: Good? This seems like there's going to be a good conversation from the wall behind you.
Speaker 3: Oh do you like it?
Speaker 2: My boyfriend put them up and he's like, this is this is my spare room. As much as these yours I get to pick. I'm like, as long as my shot like my radio show logos. There.
Speaker 3: Can you see the vinyls?
Speaker 1: Yes, I love him. I'm a wait is that real?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Duh?
Speaker 1: The Call Me Mother album? Yeah, yeah, everything to me. Your boyfriend when.
Speaker 2: He does, He's got Britney's on there, this camp rock, he loves camp rock, high school all this. Yeah, there's Charlie Casey Muskrave.
Speaker 1: This is nostalgic Kevin. I'm really into it.
Speaker 2: He's like he he rotates them too. It's like a work roster. He's like, all right, so Christmas, will put some Christmas stuff up. I'm like, do what you want.
Speaker 4: I live And also you rule for allowing that that's a self expression. That is just the most valuable thing in a relationship.
Speaker 2: So slave all they have, I have like the comedy vinyls like I've got Joan Rivers her original comedy.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean that's really that's that's that's gotta be really worth something.
Speaker 1: Where'd you get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got that in LA because like, obviously we're in Australia.
Speaker 3: I got that in La Fi.
Speaker 1: Of course you got that in LA.
Speaker 2: It was like three dollars fifty. I'm like, I think this is a mistake.
Speaker 3: He's three.
Speaker 1: No, that is a mistake. That's a collector's item.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. And it's so good too. I love just listening to John when she was like in the thirties. It's just it's ideal. So, yeah, welcome to my spare room. Miley Cyrus love it.
Speaker 4: I think that this is very much what my spare room kind of looks like. I actually have some n Sync dolls.
Speaker 1: Is that Spice Yeah, yeah, I've got I've.
Speaker 4: Got Spice Girl dolls on my wall. I've got a very similar wall. But see, I put all my barbies like in this in this I had my mom put it in like boxes to preserve because I also, like, you know, like the jone. That's just that these things are getting more valuable by the day, so I've got them preserved and protected because they are.
Speaker 1: It's fine art at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, you mean for some people that come into this room and they're like, this is like a creepy American horror story.
Speaker 3: Vibe. What's going on with all the dolls and all and all the vinyls.
Speaker 1: I'm I tell them it's museum quality.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Miley, I see you.
Speaker 1: Museum quality.
Speaker 2: If anyone the world would get it, it's Miley Cyrus. I'm gonna play this audio on loop when people walk into this room to.
Speaker 1: Justify museum pality.
Speaker 4: Museum pality, museum pality.
Speaker 3: It's so good to have you. I've been a big fan.
Speaker 2: Fee's a derb and look at the vinyls, but it's great to make this finally happen.
Speaker 3: We love you. You're amazing.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: This is so cool. A Plastic Hearts is out now. The world is sort of vibe and it's hot. It's a really great album, and I'm so happy for you. Are you sort of buzzing and you and you're enjoying writing the hype of it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I think one of the biggest bummers of this year is is the you know, I guess I'm unable to travel right at the moment and perform live around the world because it seems like it's really relating, and I think that's the biggest goal of a storyteller, of anyone behind you on the wall there, I think the one thing that even though they're all very unique and different, the common thread between them would be that as an artist, your goal is for people to see and find themselves in the art that you make, whether it's film, music, in this any sense of storytelling, you want people to find themselves in the stories that you're telling that are personal and intimate.
Speaker 1: And it feels like no.
Speaker 4: Matter where it is around the world, whether it's Australia, do you ask anywhere that I've spoken to, it feels like everyone's really finding themselves and relating to the music in a way that makes it very special for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do that very well though.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite records that you've ever put out as Dead Pets, and I think you're the only artist to ever sort of put an album out like that, which was such a risk, I guess creatively, but you pulled it off and you nailed it, and that is what you do so well as an artist. And this album feels like you right now in the moment. I mean, Midnight Sky is obviously the lead track everyone's going crazy about the Cevie Nicks remix is amazing.
Speaker 3: Why don't we quickly talk about that? How did you get Stevie is?
Speaker 2: I was maybe thinking maybe it's like a connection with your dad, maybe like you know, you grew up you maybe you knew and maybe your dad.
Speaker 3: How did that work?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: Actually, when I I sampled at just seventeen in Midnight Sky, and I reached out to Stevie directly and asked her to kind of bless it and allow it, and she said, you can borrow from me anytime. And when she said that, I'm one of those people that when someone says, if you need anything at all, call me, like I call five minutes later, like I'm I will always take someone up on their word.
Speaker 1: And so I did.
Speaker 4: And it really came at such a great time before the record because I think, you know what I do with Midnight Sky, blending those sounds, making something that's reminiscent, something that honors the original song, but then again breathes new life into it, makes it something that's really modern, even though you've heard the song a million times now, giving it a new identity that you've never heard before. And I think the collaborators have all been you know, it's really important ingredients to the records that I made, because having these legends that really paved the path for the road that I'm on right now, but then having someone like Dua Lipa that makes it modern right now, so current, I think, you know you really this record is something that again there's there's something nostalgic about it, but there's also something that I feel is innovative, and that's that's kind of what I always aim for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you get sent like a ZIP file of Stevie's audio or did you just get a thumb drive seat to you and you're like, oh, plug it in, put it.
Speaker 3: In the computer. Steve's stuff's arrived.
Speaker 4: Yes, going in through all those vocals, and you know, some of my favorite things are getting to hear the breaths and the dirt and grime that you know, usually when you get the polished.
Speaker 1: Product, we lose a lot of that.
Speaker 4: That was one thing you mentioned Dead Pets that was really important that I kept in all the imperfections, and that's something that's really honored on this record also as we allow it to be organic and authentic and in that there's no way that it can be perfected.
Speaker 1: It has to.
Speaker 4: You have to let the flaws almost highlight them because it makes it so real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk prison enough.
Speaker 2: Because that song is being played on lap here at kiss, it's like a heart request. People seem to love it and do a lepa. It seems like a great fit for you. Are you and that film clip? By the way, I mean, that's hot. You guys make the hottest couple. I was like, jeesy, I've got a boyfriend. But even I was like, let's watch that again.
Speaker 3: That was that?
Speaker 1: Yes, I live well listen.
Speaker 4: It was such a It was such a It was such a cool experience because she is someone that's really trusting, and you know, I really respect that because she brought no fear to what we were creating. She was really down to kind of you know, I think our individuality were very similar, but we're also very different. And I think that neither one of those were ignored. I think again they were. They were brought into the light and allowed the things that we have in common. You know, we we really celebrate them, but we also let the differences shine. And I think that's something that I guess we could all really use. And I think that's what makes each art is so unique, and allowing her to be her and allowing me to be me and not trying to kind of create one identity, but allow us both as individuals to be happy with what we made.
Speaker 2: How the single is great, but how could you not like fall in love with her rubbing around with fake blood and smashing sheet and punching wolls and like in the clothes that you were room.
Speaker 3: Was it a fun shoot?
Speaker 1: It was a very fun shoot.
Speaker 4: And more than that, you know, I feel like I really got to know her in a way that the chemistry Again, it's all about authenticity and there was nothing about it that was put on or an act because.
Speaker 1: We got to in creating this.
Speaker 4: She gave me direct contact where there was never any run around going you know, through teams or playing telephone. She really you know, we we even edited this video like over text message. I think it's a very current way of doing things. You know, I'd send her little clips say are you happy with this? And you know, her being happy with what we made and me feeling like I made something that you know, freaked people out. But you know, also I think people laugh, you know, especially when Divine comes on, because there you laugh you're in shock, you're grossed out, you're turned on. I like people to leave my video confused. It's like, how do I feel about this?
Speaker 2: Leaving and Miley Star's album is like leaving a good orgie you like. I like that, but right, but shit happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's always I like people to just know I'm not sure what happened, but I like it.
Speaker 1: You know, that's that's what you want.
Speaker 2: Exactly Right now. Album is great, It's out there in the world. People are loving it, They're consuming it. Are you happy, You're feeling good? Like you in a good spot right now? Creatively, I know that she's been crapping. It's such a shit question to be like, how have you been this year?
Speaker 4: But do you know, you know, there's some guilt with my answer because I am very I'm I'm super super, you know, grateful. I guess the gratitude overrides the guilt of feeling, you know, like, this year has been really amazing because I think everyone you know, there's been a little benefit slowing down and it's been really reflective and so that for a songwriter can be really beneficial.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I spoke to your sister. Actually, Noah I was. I met her when she first came to Australia way way way back, when I had her in and I had her in studio, and we've really tried to like pioneer and get.
Speaker 3: Her stuff on because I think she's incredible.
Speaker 2: She's got such a unique voice and the stuff that she puts out is so fun. And the last time I spoke to her, she I'm like, I've never spoken to your sister. What do you recommend? She was like, ask her about our dad's secret FaceTime phone. I was like, what, wait, what's the secret? And she's like, bye, I gotta go, want you can't leave?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Well, my dad.
Speaker 4: The thing about my dad's FaceTime phone is he actually doesn't really know how to use it. You have to call him on the non FaceTime phone before to walk him through like even turning the phone on.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I sent my.
Speaker 4: Dad like a YouTube video the other day and it was basically like sending him instructions to mars, Like he really just.
Speaker 1: Had no idea what to do.
Speaker 4: So my dad, my dad has a theory that two blackberries equal an iPhone, which is not.
Speaker 3: At all true.
Speaker 4: No, no, So he at one time was like yeah, he had two blackberries. Now he's got a FaceTime phone, but it does nothing but FaceTime and it's always left on FaceTime, so he doesn't have to Actually, all he has to do is like swipe when we call.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, my.
Speaker 4: Dad still like paints on, you know, like you know, my dad is very my dad has He kind of jokes that we're all doing this social distancing now because my dad has been participating in isolation. Yeah, since nineteen ninety three. It's encouraged to stay distanced. And one of those that he, you know, kind of stays away from is technology and how quickly that it's updated.
Speaker 1: And he does not bless him blessing him.
Speaker 3: That's part of the job. Though.
Speaker 2: I love that he's got a separate FaceTime phote like he's the president, like he's got the nuclear codes.
Speaker 3: He needs it. It's yeah, he's backpocket. Yeah yeah, did your dad?
Speaker 2: I know my dad since he messages, I'm on the radio and I'm doing bits paces and you might love it so good Dad X, like you know, cent of it, like it's like a high creue, like cent of eight different paragraphs. Do you still get like the classic dad messages from your Dad.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, my dad thinks that every photo he takes is like a work of art, and he titles each of them with parentheses. Oh, but they will just be titled like what they are. So the other day he just wrote like river and I'm like, no, Dad, that's not like a river, Like that's an actual river. There's really nothing like about it. And there's like then it'll just be like bird, and you're like, no, that's an actual bird, Like there's really no reason to be like this about it, Like it's just a bird and that's not a title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let him leave. He's creative. Live you having fun. Yeah, he's enjoying, right.
Speaker 4: I call this one bird. We're like, no, you don't call that. Everyone calls that. Look, it's not like something that you've come up with.
Speaker 3: That says bird in the Oxford Dictionary.
Speaker 2: Dad. Yeah, that's the best plastic hots is out now, Miley, this has been a pleasure. I'm so dec to have new stuff from you in the world because we've been playing the old stuff and they're partying in the USA sort of came back on loop with the election, and it's so nice to have all this stuff on rotation from.
Speaker 1: You because thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it and we love you down here in Australia. Come and see you soon. Please, thank you.
Speaker 4: As soon as it's a green light eight, I'm gone.
Speaker 1: I can't wait now.
Speaker 2: We can't really fitish a spare bed in the spare room, but we'll make it happen.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna sleep with you two. You're gonna make a Miley sandwich.
Speaker 3: You me and John. Yeah, Miley, we love you. Think Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'll pour some cherry juice all over you and lick you like I did du A Liba.
Speaker 3: Oh please, thank you so it's on my bucket list. You're the best. Thank you so much. You appreciate it, so good to chat.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 4: You can follow the show online, just search a couple of miches.
Speaker 3: If you don't, you're a tickhead.