Speaker 1: The Chris John O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast.
Speaker 2: So often we like to recommend things that we're into at the moment, and thought we'd do this every Friday because it might be stuff you want to go and do over the weekend. If there's anything that you think we would love as well, please. I cannot get enough of people's recommendations. I sign up to so many of these newsletters and e things that go out every week with various recommendations. So if you've got any for me, TV shows, anything that's streaming.
Speaker 3: It is so hard now there are so many great TV.
Speaker 2: Shows, movies, documentaries coming out on Netflix, Stan, Disney Plus and so it considers Amazon Prime.
Speaker 3: It's so hard to be across everything. Yep.
Speaker 4: And the tip is open up a notes folder on your phone. It's called what to watch, what to read, and write down when people give you recommendations to save you doing that thing where you can turn on Netflix or a streaming service and just endlessly flick throw going why don't we watch? What do we watch? Then you go, you can go to that and go, yeah, that's right. Christian recommended this, Peraths recommended this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so our kickoff. Then there's a thing or we would love this.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people are just a breaking point with your kids about what to do before they go back to school. Now you've run out of money and things, you've done your holidays with them. There is a great Netflix documentary called Cheer about cheerleaders.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: We I just saw the kids watching it yesterday and I thought, what chunkers this sat down just to hang out with them for ten minutes and end up doing another episode with them.
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the art of documentary these days is so good. You could say I watched the two that came out the last two years about mountain climbing. I know nothing about mounting, but it's brilliant because it's not about that.
Speaker 3: But Cheer.
Speaker 2: Can't recommend that enough on Netflix about cheerlead, just how extreme it is in America as well.
Speaker 3: I saw that we just think is innocent. Oh that just.
Speaker 2: Rehearsed choreographed dance moves and then the whole thing behind the scenes.
Speaker 3: It is extreme.
Speaker 4: Did cheerleading ever take off in the UK? Because it never really did? Hear but remember there was a season of AFL where the Blues had cheerleader. Can't I think eighties or early not cheerleading.
Speaker 2: If you were going to pick a decade, Screams eighties, isn't it cheerleading? Yeah, So that's on Netflix. The other one is I absolutely love crime thrillers. So if there's any good crime thrillers that you can recommend to me, right, I love reading crime thrillers, and Bob Murphy recommended this one actually, Chris Hammer.
Speaker 3: It's won a lot of awards. I'm halfway through reading it.
Speaker 2: It's called Scrublands set here in Australia, out in the bush. One thing about is I'm really, really really enjoying is Australian crime writers because someone who's new to the country, it's a great way to really understand different areas and read about them. Peter Temple, who's no longer alive, is a great crime right in this country, wrote a load of books about Melbourne with the Tendatal TV show with Guy Peers Jack Irish, Jack Irish, Yeah, yeah, those series of books were great.
Speaker 4: I still cherish the gift that Bob Murphy gave me, which was a Peter Temple book which he bought in to give to you, but you'd already read it, so he goes. I guess you can have it.
Speaker 3: Have you read it? Have you read it?
Speaker 4: I didn't. I didn't really get into It's good a Faanily's writing style. Very hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy, Chris Hammer Scrublands. Cannot recommend that enough. I'm sure load of you already read it. It's a fantastic crime thriller, really really good. And the last one is a movie. If you want to go and see a movie still on the moment, I saw it last week nineteen seventeen. I took my mother in law, who's still with us at the moment, because she was obviously there in nineteen seventeen. She was in the trenches, she fought I think she was sixty two at the time, so you know, for her it was a flashback throw back, thirsty.
Speaker 4: She was doing a lot of I remember that. Yes, yes, I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Really like that. They didn't eat that kind of stuff there on the front line.
Speaker 2: But nineteen seventeen is an amazing movie, absolutely incredit of the way it shot, what it's about. It will blow your way. It's one of those movies, like any great art, a song, a movie, but afterwards it leaves you in a physically emotionally different state, and I really neither of a sadden think when we came up about half an hour, you just want to sit down and gather us out.
Speaker 3: Back up. That is a real hell of a you've seen it as well.
Speaker 4: I loved it, loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't recommend nineteen seventeen enough, all right, So those are my double thumbs up. After this, then we'll come back. We'll get into Jack and Patz here on Gold one oh four point three, the.
Speaker 1: Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast.
Speaker 3: And what he's going to give a double thumbs up to.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm going to start with a movie, and I echo your thoughts about nineteen seventeen. Even though it's heavy. I loved it, But an easier to digest movie is Knives Out Now.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 4: It's so good. We actually saw the trailer for it at the end of last year. I remember we sat in here and watched the trailer and we both said that looks stinky.
Speaker 3: We actually turned it down.
Speaker 2: We were offered to do like a commercial thing with it, to endorse it, and the trailer it didn't look that good and we thought.
Speaker 3: No way.
Speaker 4: We're like, oh, murder mystery. This seems silly. Why has Daniel Craig stooped this low? What a shame after all the years that he's done Bond. Daniel Craig is fantastic in the movie, and it's so funny and it's so good.
Speaker 2: Knives Out I would say one of the most underrated movies I've seen in the last couple of years, where it blows you away. I could recommend that that movie knows out to anybody, couldn't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we only finally went to see it because of all the critical acclaim it got and because David Craig was nominated, I think, for a Golden Globe for his performance in it. I also would like to give two thumbs up to just the concept of trying a barber. I have traditionally always gone to a hairdresser. I don't know why I started doing that, but that's always been my method to get my haircut. Yesterday, for the first time ever, I went to a barber.
Speaker 3: Now, you mean the old fashion. You sit and wait in the chair. There's no appointment's no washing their hair. You just sit in the chair, walk in.
Speaker 4: There's no washing the hair. They just start chopping straight away. It takes half the time of it hairdresser, about half the cash, half the price, and same result. Like, honestly, my new haircut. Would you tell it any different from any other haircut I've got? Oh, you don't like it.
Speaker 2: All?
Speaker 3: I will say you go first?
Speaker 5: No in all Fannis, Oh no, you're.
Speaker 2: Getting a hair You know when ladies pim you off with the literally, just stop you getting upset.
Speaker 5: I was going to say, bed here today. You didn't shower before you came in?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I never, I never, I never showered. I always shower the night before.
Speaker 5: I won't know until you wash it for the first time and put some product in it.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: Of course, she wants to say, now what you're were be thinking.
Speaker 5: I've seen better cuts on you.
Speaker 4: Let me take my headphones off.
Speaker 3: It's not well.
Speaker 5: See now you've just got like headphone hair with a ditch in the middle.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, maybe don't try barber then, because your colleagues will notice the result for the barber. Should I move on?
Speaker 3: Hopefully this is a good one.
Speaker 4: This is something Christian I was actually going to recommend to you. Anyway. Bianca and I last night found on YouTube a thing called the Hollywood Reporter round Table, which is an hour long interview they do with actors, and the one we saw was get a load of this lineup all on the same table sharing stories about acting. Adam Sandler, Robert de Niro, Adam Driver, Tom Hanks, Jamie Fox, and Shilah Booth. It is awesome.
Speaker 2: I thought you were talking about the new season of The Mask Singer who might be in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have seen one of them before, about a year or two ago. It's amazing. Yeah, it's like the greatest chat show lineup ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and because they have an hour to do it, it's not like a chat show where it's you know, it's just a couple of anecdotes and really.
Speaker 2: So they're not pitching about their stories or trying to perform. Yeah, syke industry, small tool.
Speaker 4: And then it's so cool to see you know, they all obviously revere Robert de Niro, so they're gobsmacked at the kind of stories he's telling, and like Tom Hanks is there, so they're all respectful of him. But yeah, it's amazing, it's really good. So I just I guess YouTube Hollywood Roundtable and you know, Robert de Niro, Adam Sandler.
Speaker 3: And go to the barber, and don't go to the barber.
Speaker 4: I feel like going to look in the mirror.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, don't don't.
Speaker 2: We checked them all down just in case you got upset the christ John O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast. During the song, perhaps he just lent away from the microphone and started to go to about the Jack's hair cut that he was recommending all listeners go to the barber this weekend. Barbers do do a great job. Okay, they do all I would say it is severe.
Speaker 4: Until five minutes ago I thought they did a great job as well, and I told you. I went home and told my wife I'm not going to go to the hairdresser again. It costs twice the money. And look, he does the same job at the barber.
Speaker 3: What was Perhaps he just leant over them and when maybe it just looks like.
Speaker 5: The scissors were blunt a little bit, just like the turn your head around, like the face the door or the blending.
Speaker 3: No, that's better, now just stay like that for the rest of Friday show. Oh my, what is perhaps is right? There is?
Speaker 5: It's to blend. Yeah, look there's a big chunk on you.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not blended very well. But then who sees the back of your head?
Speaker 4: You can I I can't trust him, Brad. Can you tell me? Do I have a chunk out back of my head?
Speaker 3: Brad? On that left right hand side. It's it's not blended.
Speaker 5: Is it's like a number one?
Speaker 3: It's not a ball spot?
Speaker 4: You guys, I'm going.
Speaker 3: One thumbs up, get me a hat. No, I'll say this, I say this now. I'll say this seriously.
Speaker 2: If they make a like a follow up to nineteen seventeen, you don't need any time getting done for that kind of era.
Speaker 3: It looks like you're going off to war.
Speaker 4: Please come back, Jack, But that is a I bet that's back in fashion now.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: The board spot isn't.
Speaker 3: Spot a bull spot. The MIDI your neck, Pratt, All right, this would be good. Patsy. What are you giving the Patsy double thumbs up to number one has.
Speaker 5: To be for me. We went to the US over Christmas? Did you hear that?
Speaker 3: No, I've not heard or seen any photos anyway.
Speaker 5: When we're in New York, we went to Broadway and saw Frozen To on stage and it was brilliant.
Speaker 3: Don't waste any time so you just come out of the cinema company other monthing.
Speaker 5: It was brilliant and it's coming out to Melbourne. So it goes to Sydney first, I think in July at the Capitol Theater and then Melbourne will get it. I think later this year.
Speaker 4: Do we even get Frozen one out here?
Speaker 5: We actually not Frozen two, so not just frozen frozen.
Speaker 4: That makes more sense.
Speaker 2: They usually took a few like pair of musical with the coming It's Fast Furious nine the musical. I paid money to see Vin Diesel do some sort of stage Diesel in past various nine the musical, and it's brilliant.
Speaker 5: The costumes are lovely and Audrey was on the literally on the edge of her seat the whole.
Speaker 3: Time because your cheap seats too good.
Speaker 5: Seats, and the special effects. What's most brilliant about it is the special effects of Elsa's ice magic across the stage and how they managed to I'm thinking as we went in, how are they going to, you know, get this off? But it's brilliant. They've got shards coming up through.
Speaker 3: This huge chair, saving out for the end of the years Christmas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was brilliant. So if you get the chance when it hits Melbourne. Definitely.
Speaker 2: I love the Frozen and even the teenagers. They loved the original when they weren't teens, the first one, but the one I took into the other month.
Speaker 3: They love that.
Speaker 5: It's good to everyone, not just if you've got little kids. Even adults will love it. Second thumbs up for me. It's barbecue season. And I've mentioned it on the show before, but white vinegar on your barbecue to clean it is something.
Speaker 2: Because I was cleaning my barbecue, I remembered you'd mention something that you guys use all the time and I couldn't remember what it was.
Speaker 5: Have you tried it? Jack?
Speaker 4: I wanted, I want to know if we should even keep our barbecue. We've got one of those webers, the eggshell looking one they catch, the one yeaht one, Yeah great. We had it the whole time during the house renovation. We had it there. We haven't brought it out for a year and I pulled it out, you know, just before Christmas to look at it, and it's got all still like the dust and the grit in it. It looks like so we haven't had a barbecue all summer because it looks like too much trouble to clean it.
Speaker 5: Throw you get the precious sprayer out, give it a spray in the sun.
Speaker 3: Or take it to that barber you went to.
Speaker 5: That and number three on my list. This might sound a bit naff, but when we got back from our trip had loads and loads of washing. Mum had very kindly gone and done some groceries for us, so got washing soap. Mums. Don't you love mums. Anyway, she shops at Aldi and got their liquid laundry detergent and it is brilliant.
Speaker 3: We've always used liquid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I use liquid as well, but I either get it at Coals or Woolies and get the major brand.
Speaker 3: I'm an guy.
Speaker 5: Are you you like your omo?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I go for that, the one that says it's Earth and you know, no chemicals and stuff.
Speaker 2: One of those washing up liquids, and then they do you have to use like eighteen gannons, it's clean half a fork.
Speaker 5: Well, this stuff's brilliant. It's called al Matt al m a t and there's a few different varieties, but the smell is beautiful. So you bring the clothes in fresh meadows. Oh, it's just divine. So it's called All Matt. It's like a third of the price, lasts longer, it's brilliant.
Speaker 4: May I have a sniff of you?
Speaker 2: Oh come on, that's not right now. Now, Maybe nineteen seventeen when that haircut was lasting. Peaky blinders, But all right, that's this week's the two thumbs up. If you've got anything that we need to be aware of, let me know. Christian at gold one four three dot com dot au.
Speaker 1: The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Podcast