Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerni Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom, hex or help. Debt has long been described as the best debt you can have. Debatable, it's very debatable.
Speaker 5: Debatable, but still described it as that who described Is it still the case just producer.
Speaker 2: Or was it the internet?
Speaker 4: Look, I think that it's both of those things probably, But listen, as you said before we started recording this v let's baby, I think we should really got helped it Now though it helped it or hextet, what's the.
Speaker 5: They're they're same, They're the same, so I will probably accidentally call it hex interchangeably.
Speaker 2: So HEX is for those of us who.
Speaker 5: Are elder millennials, and we had Hex's debt, but it has since been updated to be called just across the board help debt helped. It sounds more cute, does it. I think it's kind of crue anyway. I don't. I don't care what it's called. I'm just mad that I can't make X jokes.
Speaker 4: Isn't as as a sexy though, that's not that's for sure. But we are talking about this because we have been getting so many messages, six.
Speaker 5: Million of them, six fi million to be exact. I would never overestimate either.
Speaker 4: Oh no, certainly not. We don't do that here at chees on them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: So how scared should we be of headlines like he's indexation, everything's rising? Well, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Well, it makes sense that we've been getting so many messages, right because we are hearing all through the news that on the first of June HEX is going to be indexed by seven point one percent. And I guess today is the day that we are going to be talking about that, because it is wild and when I just need to make sure that everyone is aware that I do mean the first of June, not the thirtieth of June, because a few people have messaged me because I was on Instagram Stories just like talking about it the other day and they're like, oh, don't you mean the thirtieth of June when you know end of financial year happens. No, this happens on the first of June, ahead of the end of financial year, so that in a month, basically, in the next thirty days, they can calculate what your repayments were be with the new level of indexation and can hit the ground running from the first of July basically.
Speaker 4: So I'm not wrong.
Speaker 5: I just feel the need to, like, you know, back myself a little bit and be like, this is why I'm correct. But also people were right to slide into my dams because I'm consistently wrong. So if you would like to correct me, you are more than welcome to so don't. Yeah, I feel like a dip when I correct myself, right, Sure, I just feel a little bit rude when I'm like, I was right.
Speaker 4: I know it is. It is a bit awkward when you have to be like Oh, actually I did. I think this is the correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, actually, I don't know if you know this, but like I'm really into finance, like really really into finance. And while I might get dates wrong consistently, if it was the thirtieth of June, I would know because that's my birthday.
Speaker 4: Oh thirty is the June's your birthday? That end July?
Speaker 2: Yes, sexy, I'm an end of financial year. Baby. Is there a better.
Speaker 5: Dated in the year than the thirtieth of June.
Speaker 4: I hope you get a big chunk of return for your birthday.
Speaker 5: No, I always end up owing money. It is actually a joke, is okay? Thank you for tho as well wishes. Though. Let's talk about debt.
Speaker 4: So you've probably heard on the news the term student debt avalanche.
Speaker 2: It's dramatic, isn't it.
Speaker 4: It seems dramatic. And I'm also like, I'm not yet scared, but like should I be scared?
Speaker 2: Whyren't you scared?
Speaker 5: I just stowed a headline that they're trying to make you scared, and you're still like, nah, take it, take it. I can take it, because like to me, I feel like avalanche, that's nothing.
Speaker 4: It's thirty bucks a month. I'm like, I don't really mind, to be honest, but like, should I be more worried about we should?
Speaker 5: I mean, at the end of the day, when they're talking about the student debt avalanche, it is proposed that on the first of June, the student debt here in Australia on the first of June is going to increase by five billion dollars this year because of that seven point one level of indexation.
Speaker 2: So that's a lot of money.
Speaker 5: And I mean for you, you might go whatever, it's thirty bucks, but to a lot of people, thirty bucks is a lot of money. And when you're paying back your HEX debt, especially if you're on a lower income and you're not maybe you know, in one of those high marginal tax brackets, but you're in the bracket where you're starting to pay back your debt, it just feels like it stacks on a little bit, like it genuinely feels like you're getting nowhere. And I mean you are, I promise, but it just feels like you're going backwards. And I think that there's just this I don't know, it's just a unspoken concept of hex versus help that it's there to help you, and it feels like you're kind of being kicked while you're down. Like you already have hex debt, You already see it on your pay slip coming out. You already know that that's money that's not going into your back pocket. We know how we feel about debt in general. Yes, we've spoken about the difference between good, bad, and okay debt here on the podcast. But I just feel like we're all just a little bit salty with indexation because for so long we've just talked about how hex slash help debt doesn't have an interest rate associated with it, right, So when you hear that beck, you smile and nod, go yeah great, but it is indexed, So it kind of feels like we're being kicked while we're down.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Kind of? But I guess, like what my estion is is what is indexation and what are the basics of it?
Speaker 2: Stunning question.
Speaker 5: So indexation basically just means an adjustment to a price or a wage or other value based on the changes in other prices or a composite indicator of prices. Right, So we spoke about it a couple of weeks ago on the podcast where indexation is basically how much something increases in value over time. And my favorite example of this, which I didn't give you a saved it for this podcast. The maccas cone. Oh Maca's ice cream cone, right, yes, So like, do you remember back in the day. I don't know if you ever had this luxury, but my mum would give me a fifty cent coin silver.
Speaker 2: It was silver.
Speaker 5: I don't know if anyone sin silver coins these days, because they can't buy you anything anymore. But I get a fifty cent cone from macis.
Speaker 4: I actually remember when they were thirty cent.
Speaker 5: I feel like they went twenty cents. I feel like twenty twenty. But last time I spoke about that publicly, everyone was like, they are fifty cents. Was going to call it fifty cents, right, So I do remember, probably late primary school I was paying fifty cents for a Maca's cone. After school, we go to swimming lessons and then we get a Maca's cone. Is like our treat, little treaty treat for you know, going to swimming lessons, as though it's not already a privilege to go to swimming lessons, like Victoria Devine anyway, you're right. I feel like it used to be twenty cents at some point, but this is beyond the point. It is now what like a dollar fifty? A dollar fifty, I think it's like more than a dollar.
Speaker 4: Oh, blow me down.
Speaker 5: I feel like in different locations around Australia, somewhere you're gonna say, oh, they're a dollar, somewhere else they're like a dollar fifty. Right, Okay, so that has increased in price over time. But are you getting the same product, beck, I would say, identical product identity, It's just nowadays it costs more to produce.
Speaker 2: It's going to be more expensive.
Speaker 5: So the dollar that you used to have back in nineteen ninety eight, when I was seven years old and going to swimming lessons and paying twenty cents for a cone, I could have bought five of those ice cream cones for a dollar. But today, if I gave you a dollar, you could only buy one, and in some locations you wouldn't even be able to buy one. You need another fifty cents to get there. Right, So a dollar today is not worth what a dollar tomorrow is worth. And that's what that saying means. So indexation is that increase in price. So it's the difference of going from twenty cents to a dollar and you kind of don't get any more value out of that product. You're still getting the Maca's cone. There's actually no more value. It's not any better today than it was back then because it's probably the same recipe. So like nothing has changed about it except the price. And that's what inflation is. It just means that a dollar back then was actually quote worth more because you could buy more with that dollar than it is today.
Speaker 4: So at the end of every financial year, the government will tally up how much inflation goes inflation goes up, and then add that to your texted Yeah, okay, So it's kind of like across the board as well. I mean, milk, eggs, bread, everything goes up. But the reason it goes up is because things start to cost more. The world starts to cost more, beck you start to earn more, like the world does increase over time. And when we look at it, the RBA, which is the Reserve Bank of Australia, they're kind of in charge of making sure that's consistent for us. And the reason we want it to be consistent is so we can consistently afford to grow as an economy. Inflation on average increases about two or three percent each and every single year, which is good.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 5: It's actually a sign of a growing economy like that means that we're healthy as a country, right, So that's good to see. This year it's seven percent, and it's because we've gone through so much turmoil in the last couple of years. That's kind of like now hitting us like a ton of bricks, and so we're feeling the wrath of what has happened previously, and the RBA historically has tried to like protect us from that. So the way that they're trying to protect us from that is by increasing the cash rate.
Speaker 2: So the cash rate is.
Speaker 5: How much they're lending the let's call it the government's money, how much they're lending the government's money out to the big banks. So by increasing the ca hash rate, it costs the banks more to borrow the money from the RBA to give people mortgages and.
Speaker 4: Business loans and personal loans and home loans. And when home loans and business loans and personal loans increase in the amount of interest you're paying, that means you're less likely to take it out.
Speaker 5: Right, So if I said, Beck, you can buy a house today, it's going to be like one point five percent finance Like, you're going to get an interest rate that's really low. You go some money in, that's a good deal. I can afford that. That's only one point five percent. But now today it's much higher than that, and a lot of interest rates are at five percent. You start to go, oh, I don't know if I could afford those repayments. I don't know if that's going to work for me. So you as the consumer, the person that gets the mortgage or gets the personal loan or gets the business loan, you're less likely to take it out. And if you're less likely to take it out, what that means is the economy starts to slow down because there's less people like you making big purchases and throwing money around, so that the economy starts to go down a little bit. And that's what they're trying to do, so that we can curb that growth or the inflation over time. So if you're doing less in the economy, like you're not buying as much, things are a bit more expensive. You're kind of like holding your purse a little bit closer to your chest, going like, I don't know if I want to, you know, pay for that this month. It means that there's less business going on in the community and less business going on in the country, which means ultimately the economy isn't doing as well, and that's what they're trying to create.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense, Yeah, that does make sense.
Speaker 5: So like things are just kind of like slowing down, and they're doing it on purpose because they want people like you to be boring less money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, So I guess for me, and I've said this before, I do have a help debt. I've ever finished a course, so I've just that's.
Speaker 5: Literally the worst, Like I mean, not the worst that you've done. I'm sure you've got a lot out of it, but the amount of people in our community I've spoken to you, like I have a help debt, I don't use it. Yeah, Like I went to union and I did this and now don't even work in the area. Or my friend did this course. I thought I'd do that course and then it was a terrible course and I didn't enjoy it, or now I have thirty thousand dollars absolutely. I feel like I've started like five or six subjects and never finished any of them.
Speaker 4: So I just have all this money and no qualifications. But that's okay because we're still here to tell the story.
Speaker 5: We're happy about it. We're making content because that.
Speaker 4: Was worth it.
Speaker 5: It was worth it.
Speaker 4: It was worth it, and you know, I learned that if you learn something, it's not a waste, no matter how you did it all week whatever. You know what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 5: I think it was my mum. I'm not sure who it was. I want to give her credit for it, though she always says it was either a blessing or a lesson. I love that, and I feel like that's good because it always reframes something as if it was kind of terrible.
Speaker 2: Let's just call it a.
Speaker 5: Lesson, exactly, exactly, just call it a lesson. It makes me feel so much better about it.
Speaker 4: Perfect. So I mentioned this is the start of the episode. I kind of am not stressing about the I suppose like the indexation on hextet or helped it.
Speaker 5: I want to stop you there because I want to hear why, like, why do you not feel that pressure when obviously a lot of people in the media jumping up and down the exacting Oh my gosh, what's going on? Why?
Speaker 4: So this is the thing. I don't know what that looks like. So for me, helped, it remains the same. And I'm so ignorant because I have no idea. But for me, I think that, you know, I'm just going about my business. I'm paying like two bucks a week in hextet. When my employee takes out of my pay slip, and then this is going to happen. My hex debt is going to go up and my pay slip will be exactly the same. So I don't know where the fear is. But I could be completely wrong. I could it could be changing my take home income.
Speaker 5: I don't know, all right, Beck, So we just took a really quick minute away from the podcast so I could get out a few calculators for you and organize what this looks like.
Speaker 4: And now I'm scared.
Speaker 2: No, don't be scared.
Speaker 5: But I do think it's really important to understand where you stand and how that works for you. So my favorite website, and I have, you know, put it in the show notes before. It's paycalculator dot com dot au. And the reason I like this is because it's up to date with what's going on on the ATO website. But in all honesty, it's better than the ATO website. It's a privately owned website. I mean, this guy whoever owns paycalculator dot com dot u is a wizard, because everybody in the industry or in my industry uses this website as kind of like a really good base level calculator to just like go, oh, I'll whip it out, see what's going on. You know, pop in your income, see what that looks like. Anyway, everybody uses it, but it's covered in ads, and you just know he's breaking it in because every single time someone in our industry goes there or you go there, he's making money. So I just feel like that was a genius thing from him. That is genius exactly. So if you go to this website, you can basically put in your salary and then click options, So you could click your salary includes superannuation or it doesn't, or you could click student loan, which is what we're talking about here. Yes, so many people, just like you, they don't know what they're paying. All they see is these headlines and get really stressed. Out about like, oh my gosh, I'm going to be paying seven percent indexation, Like I already can't afford a house. I already, you know, struggle to buy a good coffee every friggin day, Like what's going on. So, when it comes to calculating your repayments, it's actually based on income thresholds, and those are different from your marginal tax bracket. So your marginal tax bracket is kind of the most normal one, which sits in that thirty two point five cents per dollar, which most people are in in our community, because it sits between forty five than one twenty, Like, that's a really wide bracket. People often think that that bracket then applies to your HEX, but it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's different from that.
Speaker 5: So if you earn under forty eight thousand, three hundred and sixty one dollars, you don't pay any of your HEX back. After that point, it starts to increase, and the first amount that you pay back is one percent, then two percent, then two point five percent, and that is the repayment of your income. It's a percentage of your income, not a percentage of the debt that you owe. Right, So if you earn forty eight thousand to fifty five thousand, eight hundred and thirty six dollars, you pay back one percent. If you're between fifty five and I'm just going to round these down, but fifty five and fifty nine it's two percent, fifty nine and sixty two it's two point five. Sixty two to sixty six it's three, and so on and so forth. Let's pretend for a hot second that you earn an income between seventy four hundred and ninety three dollars and seventy four thousand, seven hundred and twenty two dollars. That means that your repayment rate is four percent. So if we calculated that out, and I've just popped in a random number, and I can do this for you offline, so it's your specific income back. But I've pretended that you're on seventy three thousand dollars, right, which I feel like is a pretty normal income for our community. That means that every single week from your paycheck, you would have a student loan amount of fifty six dollars coming out.
Speaker 2: That's fifty six.
Speaker 5: Dollars that you're paying towards your help or hex debt. That's not going into your back pocket. The second that your hex or help debt doesn't exist, that fifty six dollars goes back into your personal account. You start being paid it right right, So that to me is a fair whack of money, because like fifty six bucks that you know, it's half my grocery bill, Like, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 2: I think it's a lot.
Speaker 5: Fortunately, that's one hundred and twelve dollars. Every single month, that's two hundred and forty three dollars, and then every single year, beck that adds up to twenty nine hundred and twenty dollars.
Speaker 2: Like, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 5: I see, nine hundred and twenty bucks. I could go on a holiday to Bali. I reckon, in this economy, the flight's probably going to cost two nine hundred dollars. But we don't want to stretch that out right, I reckon, we jet Star. We could get there. But moving on from that, I think it's important to understand what that means because if you actually increased your salary back and you were between a different tax bracket, like let's say you earn eighty four thousand dollars that student loaner payment goes up. So now on a salary of eighty four thousand dollars, you're actually paying back five point five percent, which to me is a fair whack. So five point five percent each and every single week's eighty nine dollars. Every single fort nine, it's one hundred and seventy eight dollars. Every month that's three hundred and eighty six dollars, and every year that's forty six hundred and twenty dollars. So this isn't something that we should be blinking at. Like from little things, big things grow. And I know you said, oh, it's just like thirty bucks a week or whatever, and that could be true for your circumstance, but thirty bucks a week back ends up being fifteen hundred and sixty dollars. Okay, I see, And we know that a lot of people are still struggling to get you know, one thousand dollars in their emergency fund. Yes, So it ultimately, to me, is a lot of money that we should be caring about, and I think that it's something that we do need to discuss. And whether you're paying back more or less isn't really about the conversation right now. The conversation I'm having is I really want you to understand what your paycelip means. I really want you to be in the position where you just know what those repayments are. And I mean, it's not a decision you're making like you have to pay that back. It's coming out before you even get your money back. But what we want to understand is is that something that's hindering your ability to create wealth in the future and right now for your personal situation. I don't think it is. I think it's fine. You're bopping along, you're having a good time. Like I know the financial position you're in, you shared it on the podcast before, Like you're not about to buy house in the next six months. So it's not something that we need to be worried about because it's not impacting your borrowing capacity.
Speaker 2: So personally, I don't think you do care. So do we worry.
Speaker 5: About the seven percent? I mean, yes we do, And the reason we do is because we want to understand what that means for you, pragmatically and pragmatically, all we need to understand is what does that mean for you? Beck? Right, So seven percent of thirty thousand dollars is actually twenty one hundred bucks, So that seven percent is going to mean that you go up to thirty two thousand, one hundred dollars instead of the thirty thousand dollars and beck we just said before that if you're on an income of seventy four seventy three thousand dollars, your student loan repayments every year about twenty nine hundred and twenty dollars. So you just paid twenty nine hundred and twenty dollars off. And what that's going to feel like to you is that you only paid eight hundred and twenty dollars off that year, even though every single week fifty six bucks was coming out of your account.
Speaker 2: It just increased.
Speaker 5: So no, there's no interest on that, Like you're not paying an interest amount on the repayments that you have, but that amount that you owed increased by seven percent because of indexation.
Speaker 4: Right, I see? Okay, So I guess like I have two questions, but they're kind of linked. So my thought is that if the amount you pay on your HEX is dependent solely on your income and not how much you have in HEX, yes, I feel like that's a good thing. But also on the other sides, that I'm thinking if this is a common thing that your hex staate kind of goes up on a yearly basis depending on how the economy is going and things like that, it almost feels like, is there any point in trying to like pay it off faster or anything, because it's it just feels like you're running on a treadmill.
Speaker 2: Like it's really frustrated.
Speaker 4: Gets the end of the year, you've paid x amount off and then the government's like, here's some more, and then you just end up a little bit better off, maybe even worse than you were the year before.
Speaker 5: You know, Yeah, and it makes me really really frustrated because that's an amount that you feel a bit sick about. But it's not the government trying to screw us over, let's be honest, Like, it's just not the government going, oh, do you know what, we want to increase back stuff by seven percent. I mean, they could choose not to. So the Greens were actually proposing a law that would freeze indexation for seventy four billion dollars in help loans, which has been rejected by the Senate Committee, which I think is a little bit rude. That's why I think it's so much of a hot topic in the media. A pitch it out because obviously would it help the economy to freeze help debts? Probably because people are already stressed. We're already not getting pay rises. It's why as she's on the money, we're going to be going into even more career content because I'm getting so frustrated with people just not being paid what they're worth, people not being able to afford the groceries that they were last year, people not knowing their worth because they don't have the confidence to ask, Like, I just think that the government could be doing more for us. But I guess let's have a quick look back at what indexation has looked like historically, because indexation is calculated each and every single year, and basically it's not always the same. So in twenty eighteen, indexation on our help debt was one point nine percent. In twenty nineteen, it was one point eight. In twenty twenty it was one point eight. In twenty twenty one, it was zero point six percent, in twenty twenty two it was three point nine. So it increased, and the reason it increased is because inflation in general was increasing. And what they do is they take the average inflation rate for the past two years and then apply that. So they've done that again this year, and that's why we are predicting it's going to be seven percent. That number hasn't come from nowhere. That's come from us going Okay, well, if the inflation rate last year and the inflation rate this year is this, This is what that seven percent looks like and where it's coming from. So that doesn't mean that seven percent is going to happen again. It might go back down.
Speaker 2: And in a perfect.
Speaker 5: World, if the RBA is doing exactly what they should be doing by you know, helping to slow down economic growth and helping to bring down the rate of inflation, next year, it won't be so much. So it won't be the same thing each and every year, but there's always going to be a level of indexation that is applied to help or hex steps, because that's what we signed up for sure.
Speaker 4: Okay, if only I had read the te's and c's before starting a million courses, Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just feel like even if you'd read the t's and c's, you would have been like, whatever, I don't care.
Speaker 4: That's true. Actually I could have been like, I don't know what any of this means anyway? Sign up?
Speaker 5: No, No, I'm glad we're best friends now, because I could just be like your financial fairy god brother and I could text me and be like, V, is this a good idea and be like, no, it's not. I'll like you grateful, I'll probably do it anyway. Let's be honest.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe that's very true. It's I I'm an old dog and it's going to be hard to learn new tricks, but we're going to get there. I think this is a really good time to go to a quick break and we'll see you guys on the other side. All right, V, we are back and ready to talk about help Hex helped it.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about he be literally girl, you know what. Sam probably isn't going to cut that out. He's hope he doesn't. You know what, neither do I.
Speaker 2: Let's move on. Let's make a song.
Speaker 5: No, let's not this, Okay, sure, let's not. I'm going to stick to podcasting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair. It's a fair. That's a fair career choice.
Speaker 2: That Facebook podcasts.
Speaker 4: You do have a face of podcast. Thank you. Let's talk about help debt F. I think we were just about to talk about the interest and I don't know what these terms mean.
Speaker 5: But yeah, let's dive into let's deep dive inte why not? Yeah, so we want to talk about interest again because I think it's important to touch on it. I mentioned before that help slash Hex's debt doesn't actually attract an interest rate, it just has an indexation rate. So it's basically to take into account the different costs of living and the way I see it, And I'm not defending the government on this because I just don't think they should do it. If I'm being really honest, I just think that they should wipe it and be kind. But whatever, they're doing it so that their dollar that they len to you for your education isn't worthless when they get it back.
Speaker 4: Oh those dirty dogs.
Speaker 5: I know, right, But like it makes sense if I explain it like that, Like if I said, hey, Beck, I'll pay for your your degree. It's thirty thousand dollars, I'd like thirty thousand dollars back. But as we explained before, a macis cone in ninety seven is not worth what a macas cone is today, but the same value is there. They're basically saying, we just want the value of our dollar back so that we can you know, put that money into something else and not have it be worthless. And you kind of go, oh, that makes sense, Like that's a pretty pretty sexy explain if I borrowed money from a friend and they're like, oh, yeah, okay, can you just like, if you want to borrow the money from me, can you just make sure like there's no additional fees or charges or anything that get charged to me, because individually, I shouldn't be missing out if I'm lending the money to you. And I mean, we're not friends with the government, But that's okay.
Speaker 4: Actually it's a really good point, and I hadn't thought about that. I suppose like what would happen to the government. Will we just like crumble as a society if they were to just like freeze it and we kind of paid back the hex stet and it was worth less than when they lent it to us.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of debate about this that.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's probably why the Greens got so up in arms and they were like, it's not going to impact it. Like I feel like from my perspective, and I mean, I've shared this perspective on the podcast before.
Speaker 2: We're so lucky to.
Speaker 5: Live in Australia, right, Like, we have a beautiful economy, we have beautiful infrastructure, we have a really great healthcare system, we have roads that we can drive on that are safe, there are rules in place and there are people to protect us. Right. How good is that? But there are a lot of things that a lot of people don't agree with. I mean, we could start a conversation about the doll we could start a conversation about how government money is being channeled into the wrong education places, where could be starting a conversation about how there are a million schemes that need funding and don't have it. But essentially, I just think that the government is maintaining this so that they still have money to go around because they just don't want their dollar to be worth less tomorrow than it is today to them. And they essentially, from my perspective, they're seeing helping you out as a privilege. They're seeing it as like, Okay, well I helped beck out, she didn't have to cough up thirty grand to go to university. I'm gonna just ask for that money back. And that's a fair way of doing things. Obviously the same is not true in other countries, like in America, like they have to get very expensive student loans that are worth a whole heap of money and have a whole heap of interest associated with them. And then on the flip sides, there are countries that have a completely free education system. In fact, Australia used to have a free education system where university was free, and this wish that happened again. So essentially, what I think that they're trying to do is get back the money because they just don't have enough of it to go round at the moment. And I think that from their perspective they're doing the right things, but from a community perspective, I think they could be doing more.
Speaker 4: Amen'sis mic drop.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's a mic drop. I just you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: I feel like we've all got our own opinions on how things work, and I just think that that's where it gets political. And this isn't a political podcast, right, I just think it's a podcast about doing the right thing and being good people. And you know, I just think that students and people who have hex stets are having a bit of a hard time what would we do about there. It's not really yeah a political conversation for me, it's not going, oh my god, the Greens a label or liberal like. The Greens had this idea to freeze indexation for seventy four billion dollars, and I nodded and smiled and said, you know what, that's a pretty good idea.
Speaker 2: I think people would like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, and I'm sure there will be absolutely no consequences whatsoever. So at the end of the day, I've gotten all this information, what does this actually look like for help loans?
Speaker 5: Obviously I am stout skirl. I've done some maths because I love to do maths. I also love to stop the podcast halfway through so I can do some sly maths and come back. You guys don't have to wait, because we edit all of the waiting time out.
Speaker 4: But Beck does, so I will said patiently.
Speaker 5: You do you smile or nod, But from the first of June, most Australians with an outstanding student loan debt will actually see their balance shoot up by hundreds or even a thousands of dollars. Beck, if the indexation rate does go up by seven point one percent, So I calculated that really quickly for you. But I've got a few examples. So if you've got ten grands left on your loan, it's going to increase by seven hundred and ten dollars. For every ten thousand dollars in debt you have, it will consistently increase by seven hundred and ten thousand dollars. So if you have a twenty five thousand dollars loan balance, it would increase by seventeen hundred and seventy five dollars. Beck And if you had a fifty thousand dollars loan, it would increase by three thousand, five hundred and fifty dollars. And Beck, do you want to know how much my hex STEP's going to be increasing by? Because you know, we've been a little pervy, we're being a little personal go on. So I still have eighty thousand dollars worth of hex step, So I'm going to be slammed with five thousand, six hundred and eighty dollars worth of indexation. No, that's a trip for two to Bali.
Speaker 4: At least, yeah, at least please.
Speaker 5: But again, I feel very grateful to have that system in place, And I mean there's actually no way that I could have personally afforded to go to university and get the degrees that I have without the help and HEXT system.
Speaker 2: So am I mad that that's the case?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's you know, part and parcel of the system that we are using. I mean, could I be mad about it? Yeah, it's a lot of money, but again I think that I'm just trying to see it from a more positive light of like, that's the cost of you know, me being able to get to where I want to be in life, because Lord knows, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without those degrees.
Speaker 4: Amen, Well, could you be sad about it?
Speaker 5: I could be sad about it, Like I could just be a little sad that, you know, I'm in a bit more debt. But honestly, I see my HEX debt as something that has helped me in the past few years. It has got me to where I need to go. There was a period of time where it made me feel physically sick when I logged into my portal.
Speaker 4: Because it was more don't log in.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was more than one hundred grand, and I'd be like.
Speaker 4: Whoah, who let that happen?
Speaker 5: Whose idea was that, And it's kind of like you. Right when I started my degree, I just didn't think about how much debt I was racking up, Like I was not interested in finance. We've talked about this publicly before that by the time I was twenty two, I was in like I think it was forty four thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Worth of personal debt.
Speaker 5: Like I was really good at that, and that didn't worry me at the time until I started learning more and more about finance and I kind of was like, oh, I might need to pull my socks up. This is a lot of money. And like I got out of that. It took a lot of work and a lot of time. But it's one of those things where now things like this mean a bit more to me because I'm grateful for them. But when I took them on, I had no concept of what that would look like for me in the future.
Speaker 2: And I think a lot of people are in that circumstance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, it is good to know that it hasn't been this high historically and hopefully won't be the case in future years.
Speaker 5: It's actually not sustainable if it was in future years, right, because if it was in future years, you're gonna be is a bit screwed, babe. Like, there's a lot more going on than help in hex debt repayments. I promise if indexation kept up at that rate, there's going to need to be some serious change and the government would get involved to promise it's okay, and.
Speaker 4: They would drown in our tears.
Speaker 5: They would, they would.
Speaker 4: So should people start trying to pay down their helped deb before the first of June, Beck.
Speaker 5: You should know better than asking a personal advice question on this podcast. This podcast is general advice only, and you shouldn't actually take my advice on anything because that would be financially irresponsible.
Speaker 2: I have a license to uphold Beck.
Speaker 4: That's fair.
Speaker 5: Now pretend, but pretend here, Okay, So there are a few things that I want you to think about. So first things first, we know that every single persons situation is different, and if you're stressing over it but you can't afford it, please stop stressing. It is what it is. Let's not stress about the things we can't change, Like, what's the point. Absolutely, if it's something that is stressing you, then maybe we can look at it in a bit more depth. But I think making sure that you're comfortable with that and you know what it means and how it works is basically what everyone can do. Whether we contribute more or not is a different conversation. But given what we've discussed, for the first time in a long, long, long time, it actually might be worth for some people to be making.
Speaker 2: Extra contributions to their HEX debt.
Speaker 5: It's something that personally, I will not be doing, and the reason I'm not doing it is because I don't need to do that to achieve the goals that I currently have. So if my goal was to buy a house, and I knew that by paying down some of my HEX debt would mean that my ability to lend more money would increase them, maybe it would be worth it for me. Maybe I could do that. But if you're in that circumstance shameless plug for Zella Money, please go. We'll put the link in the show notes to talk to one of our brokers. If you are in the position to be purchasing a house, or you think you're in the position to purchase house and you're thinking about your HEX debt repayments, go and talk to a mortgage broker so that they can look at your whole circumstance, and they can sit you down and be like, yep, back in your situation, it would do this for you, and you go, great, I will do that. Can I tell you that on a podcast? Unfortunately not. But what I can tell you is that it might change it for some people, it might not because it's going to depend how much text debt do you have, how much can you afford to repay? What is your current deposit for the home that you're looking to buy? Do you have a Garran tool loan? What do all these things actually mean for you? There's no one size fits or response to that, and I am very sorry. I wish there was. Did it make content creations so much easier?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Fuck you? Just make the podcast be like all right, guys, so indexations coming out first of June. This is what we're going to do.
Speaker 4: These are the rules, These are the answers.
Speaker 5: Beck, You're going to do X and if you're not in exposition do why do? How much easier content creation would be? The community would love it? But do you know what, You've got to do some of the work yourself.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, unfortunately, but.
Speaker 5: The girls that Zella Money can basically do that for you and kind of calculate it based on your personal circumstances. Also, they'll do it for free, so that's kind of a money we Oh my god. As I said, and I've said a million times before, I would always prioritize paying off personal debt first, so things like personal loans and credit cards and any other personal debt. I would also look at bumping up your emergency fund, because your emergency fund is going to be that fund that means that you can get out of a pickle real quick. Someone the other day called it a squirrel fund, and I thought that was real cute, because like squirrels, they're like hide away all their nuts for the winter, and then they live off their nuts in the winter when things aren't as good.
Speaker 2: That's what how emergence.
Speaker 4: That's very cute.
Speaker 5: Anyway, we want a squirrel fund. We want to make sure that we're not in any personal debt, and at that point we can consider whether making additional contributions to our hex or help debt is a good idea. Perfect Again, it's going to depend on whether you're going for a home loan or not as to whether that is worth it or you know what could just be stressing the but Jesus out of you, Beck. You could be so stressed over your heck's debt, and no matter how many times you listen to me or how many times you listen to other podcasts, it's just something that keeps you up at night. Maybe making additional contributions to something that fits within your goals makes you feel good.
Speaker 2: You do U, SIS, you do you, you do you.
Speaker 5: But what I want you to be able to do is tell me what your payments are, what they look like, how it impacts you as an individual, what it actually looks like if you paid off more debt.
Speaker 2: Because a lot of.
Speaker 5: People might go, I really need to get rid of my hex step before I get a home. That's actually not true. I bought a house with a one hundred thousand dollars worth of hex step. We work with people every single day that have very large hex stets.
Speaker 2: And still get homes.
Speaker 4: That's company.
Speaker 5: So it's really important to understand that doesn't need to be completely.
Speaker 2: Diminished before you do that.
Speaker 5: That's why I want you to talk to a broker, because the amount of people that I have spoken to that are like, oh my god, vee, like I've paid off eighty thousand dollars worth of my hex stet. I go far out, that's so sick, like, that's so good, And then they say, so I'm going to now start saving for a house, and I kind of go, oh good, smile a nod like, because there's nothing I can do about that circumstance. But in reality, if they had the capacity to pay off an eighty thousand dollars home loan, they had the capacity to save eighty thousand dollars, and they could have probably already been in a house and just started paying off their hextet a bit more now that they have the property. And obviously, when it comes to investing, the sooner you're in the market, the more time you have for compound interest to play into it. And sometimes that's the best outcome. Am I saying that that's right for every single person? No, But that's why you need to be educated, because if you're stressing about your hextet, I can almost guarantee that the reason you're stressing about it is because you don't know enough about it.
Speaker 2: You don't know the.
Speaker 5: Semantics of that hexel help debt, but you also don't know how it impacts you financially, and that makes people stressed. So talk to someone, listen to some more podcasts, go and talk to a mortgage broker about how that actually impacts you, because Beck, you know, we calculated what your hex step looks like and how much you're paying back. You're like, yeah, okay. I feel like you said yep, okay, because that was about what you expected anyway, Yes, you were fine with that, and you're also not looking into any other big goals. But would you be stressed about it if you were on the home buying process and you're like, oh, I don't know what that looks like.
Speaker 4: If I didn't know, and I guess I don't really know that much kind of do now about it.
Speaker 5: I do the whole.
Speaker 4: Podcast, but I wouldn't know the process of like buying a house very well. But the idea that you have a debt might make you stress. I think about achieving something else. I think that would probably stress me out a little bit. More money MO problems.
Speaker 5: Exactly exactly, but essentially, I guess the crux of this is I just want you guys to be educated. I hope that this has given you the level of education that you deserve, but also there are going to be a whole heap of resources on our Instagram soon.
Speaker 2: I'm probably going to.
Speaker 5: Make a whole heap of tiktoks because I keep being told off by the cheese. The TikTok well, I don't. I don't love making them, but my team keep bullying me into making more, so I will do that. But I just I want you to be in the best possible position to make the best decision for you, and that is honestly all I can do.
Speaker 4: I love that visa anything else before we shut this down?
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, so first things first. Obviously, education is the key. I could go on about it forever. If you don't know what's going on with your HEX or help debt, you can check it through your mygove login. That's just like the Tax Officers online platform. You guys should know what my guve is. If you don't, please google it and make sure that you log into that and have a look, because that's not just got your HEX, it's got your tax information, it's got your Medicare information. It's kind of like your personal hub. The simplest way to make your repayment on Hex is actually just through bepay it's so easy.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying go do.
Speaker 5: It right now, but what I am saying is, like, I think a lot of people assume it's this really complex process. It's not. It's just a be pay for repayment, like you just transfer it like you would be transferring your mate when they bought the pizza.
Speaker 2: Easy, really easy.
Speaker 5: So if you are considering making a repayment and you're like, oh, I'm really stressed about this, or I only have a little to go rah rah, make sure you're making that repayment well before the end of May to make sure it's processed in time to avoid any additional indexation that might be applied to that. So just be in really early because when it happens, it's going to happen on the first of June, so you want to make sure that you are getting that payment in asap.
Speaker 2: If that is your plan.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I'm done.
Speaker 4: Are you done?
Speaker 5: I could keep going on and on, but I think we need to be done, and I.
Speaker 4: Could keep listening.
Speaker 5: No, you couldn't.
Speaker 2: You're sick. You are so sick of me.
Speaker 4: I think it's lots of absorbed. Let's go and have a little tea. You have a little walk.
Speaker 5: We deserve Yeah, I think we deserve a treat.
Speaker 4: I think we just have a treat.
Speaker 2: Everybody deserves a treat.
Speaker 5: Have a good day.
Speaker 2: We will see you guys on Friday.
Speaker 4: See you soon bybe.
Speaker 2: The advice shared.
Speaker 3: On She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision.
Speaker 5: If you do choose to buy a financial product.
Speaker 3: Read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial.
Speaker 5: Advice tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 3: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money sirper Pty Ltd ABN three two one six four nine two seven seven zero eight AFSL four five one two eight nine