Speaker 1: Hello, it's the gorgeous artsimone here.
Speaker 2: You may know me for my gorgeous face that's been sculpted by the gods, or a very good makeup rush. But sadly not everyone is as gorgeous as I am. But I am selflessly giving regular people a platform. It's not entirely true, though, because although they may look painfully regular, they're concealing something about themselves which makes them worthy of my time and yours. I don't know what it is, and neither do you, but we'll do some hard work to carve out the truth.
Speaker 1: Bring me my guess.
Speaker 3: My name's Ramin. I live in Melbourne. I was born in Sydney and lived in Iran from nineteen seventy eight to nineteen eighty one. I spend most of my time trying to solve problems and outside of my work, you're drawing and painting. But I'm concealing something about my profession, which I've done now for the best part of about two decades.
Speaker 1: Well, hello, how are you very well?
Speaker 2: How? I'm mysterious. So you're sitting in front of me. You're very smartly dressed. You nice pair of spectacles. I ask everyone, are they prescription or are they for fashion purposes?
Speaker 3: Definitely prescription, okay, And I took way too long getting them, realizing when I ran out of room with my iPhone my arm couldn't stretch any longer to read it.
Speaker 1: You could just increase the font starze.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that. Then, you're right.
Speaker 1: I haven't taught my mum that trick.
Speaker 2: I'm very excited to let her know one day she's going to have one word per page and just take her a long time.
Speaker 3: But I was almost there.
Speaker 2: Well, you've got the glasses now, see you're fine. Yeah, okay, So you're like drawing, like painting you what did you say? You're twenty two decades nearly two decads, two decades your profession, and that's what you're concealing from me today, your profession.
Speaker 1: That's what makes that's the interesting thing about you.
Speaker 3: Well, so I'm talking one of them.
Speaker 2: So I'm told, okay, what I'm going to do today is ask you three questions, and from the answers to those three questions, I have to work out what it is you're concealing from me here.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you ready?
Speaker 3: I'm very ready?
Speaker 2: Question number one, fifty years in the future. What do you think would be a new norm.
Speaker 3: I think that people will be looking at tailored engineering body solutions to disease.
Speaker 2: Tailored engineer body solutions to disease. Correct, that's a lot of words. Now I have to decode those words. Yes to disease, all right, tailored fashion nozas not in a fashion? Okay, disease. Question number two. If you were to pick one ninja turtle, which one would it be?
Speaker 3: I would so Leonardo Leonardo?
Speaker 1: What do you like about Leonardo?
Speaker 3: Leonardo is an artist, a sculptor, a scientist. Okay, engineer, big problem solver.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: I like the fact that he did so many different things, so many varied and interesting things, all of them requiring great deal of ingenuity and curiosity.
Speaker 2: Okay, big brain. Okay, damn big brain. Disease twenty years leo artist, big brain. Coming back to that one.
Speaker 1: Okay. The final question I have for you is what's the motto you live by?
Speaker 3: One motto? I really one saying I realized it's not My saying is but off more than you can chew, and chew like hell, more.
Speaker 2: Than you can chew and okay, teeth, big brain with teeth disease twenty years art turtles Okay, turtles.
Speaker 3: Could command with anything.
Speaker 1: Now, I think it's clear as day, clear as day.
Speaker 2: I don't know much trying to think about this, because you really painted it beautifully for me.
Speaker 1: Yep, are you?
Speaker 2: I think you are a mad scientist who has engineered turtles with big brains and teeth to battle disease.
Speaker 1: Is that correct?
Speaker 3: It's not too far.
Speaker 1: Off the mark.
Speaker 3: I'm a plastic, reconstructive and cosmetic surgeon with a PhD in molecular biology of lymphatic vessels. I work with people who require reconstructive surgery for trauma or cancer, but also those who suffer the after effects of cancer. I often operate on those who've been looking for ascetic reasons for different types of surgery or cosmetic surgery that may not have gone as planned.
Speaker 1: That's a big brain's.
Speaker 2: So Ramon isn't creating an army of turtles with big teeth fighting disease? No? No, no, he is a plastic surgeon. I'm so glad I could have a free consultation here today. You don't mind listening, do you?
Speaker 1: Thanks?
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're here with women and you are a lot of things a big brain holder. But one of those things you do is cosmetic surgery. Plastic surgery. Can you actually, let's at the top line, plastic surgery and that can be cosmetic or it can be reconstructive.
Speaker 1: Has that divvy up.
Speaker 3: Plastic surgery is a really broad specialty. Essentially, the focus is on what we say is form and function, So the form of a body part and the function of a body part. So if you want to walk down the street and you have a part of your limb missing or facial injury or something like that, and people are interacting with it, it inhibits your ability to communicate, you feel self conscious. So the two actually blend into one another. For example, in pediatric plastic surgery, when we're helping with patients who are born with a congenital difference, a lot of it is about them being able to get into school and to start their journey socializing and learning without being teased or bullied or whatever. So it might be, for example, the pinning back of the ears that's not functional, it doesn't help the hearing, but it does help the asthetic appearance. In turn, that helps them to integrate into their classroom and society, so that they're not constantly starting behind the ape ball.
Speaker 2: So if you're going in for an operation, for example, and you need something fixed, yes, is it true that like plastic surgery itself.
Speaker 1: Is like an optional extra?
Speaker 3: Like? Is that how it shouldn't be? But there was a time when one of the health funds they said we're just funding the cancer cutout and the reconstruction's cosmetic, and that was a pretty dark time for patients. The Australian Society Plastic Surgeon was extremely angry about that, and we did have a lot of representation to Healthiness is saying that's unethical to say that we'll cut out the cancer, but we won't reconstruct it. And in the end people saw the light.
Speaker 2: My mum, for example, has had lots of skin catcers in her life. She had it on her lip and they had to cut a whole trunk out of her lip, and they could a plastic surgeon wasn't She couldn't afford for plastic surgeon to fix it, and ever since then she wrote me in photos she doesn't like people for people to see her because she's got this big scar in the middle of her face.
Speaker 3: Really, in this day and age in Australia, you shouldn't be not able to access a plastic surgeon through the public hospital system. The good news is, I guess she could definitely see someone and look at getting that restored or improved.
Speaker 2: She calls herself the bride of Chucky, the poor doll. So do you do elective surgery like an electric cosmetics surgery? Has there any ever been a circumstance where someone comes to you and you go, I'm not doing that. I can't do that, Like, is there anything? Is that a common?
Speaker 3: They're very, very common to have patients who come in with a preconception and it's become a lot worse in the age of social media, it must be said, and reality TV and these things. People often come with an expectation that may not be relevant to them. They'll come in with some form of surgery that they desire was just simply is impossible. They'll come with a photograph of a celebrity which has a completely different bone structure, age, health status, and then want something done that's actually not A probably isn't achievable, but B is risky, and C has a very high risk of them being completely dissatisfied, because what does happen. This condition, called body dysmorphic disorder, is that patients often can't see themselves as you and I might see them walking along the street. There's a there's a distortion, and that's a very complex there's a there's an overlay of lots of social and developmental issues where they teased and I would suggest that if the outside observer came along and met her, they probably wouldn't notice it, but to her, she's fixated on it. Yes, and that's that's something where we have to as plastic surgeons, be very careful.
Speaker 2: Well, I was going to say, how do you then choose what is valid and what isn't?
Speaker 1: How does your scale go all?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Now, I understand essentially people pleading their case to you, being like, this is what it's doing for me, this is why it would be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, I think it's a mixture. There's certainly there's screening tools. Sometimes you when you talk to patients, you can't actually tell what they're seeing from inside their heads. So there are screening tools to understand if they are suffering from this condition or have it a touch of this condition called body dysmorphia, But often it's a matter of just spending that time getting to know patients and discussing with them. And if you actually sit down with people, sometimes what they thought was the main problem isn't actually the main problem. So an example that I could give you is that patients will come along and they have, because of breastfeeding as a mother, or age or weight alteration, they have breasts that they feel hang down too low, and they come in for that being corrected. And the lazy thing to do is just stick a breasting plant into it. Doesn't actually address the problem. What they might need is a breastlift or a breast reduction or something slightly more nuanced. But you know, if I see a patient and they want something done tomorrow, it's almost like there's a pressure to do it or I'll go elsewhere.
Speaker 2: I think I can relate to you on a very minor level in terms of I for years was a makeup artist, and I did a lot of drag makeup for people, and I would get shown pictures of like an eighteen year old glamorized face tuned drag queen by like a fifty year old man and be like, your face doesn't look like that. If I put that makeup on you, you wouldn't look like that. I can do that makeup on you, but you're going to be very upset when you look in the mirror. And it's really interesting that you have to kind of let people down from these expectations without seeming like the bad guy. I really want to help you. We can get somewhere, but you're never going to get to that. And that's okay because we can make you beautiful in your own right, but to get the person over that side, it's always a little bit difficult.
Speaker 3: Well, that's very perceptive because I think that's exactly what it is. I think it's almost identical, except that instead of using a bit more permanent rushes, well, no, it's instead of using brushes and makeup, it's just using a scalpel blade. And so some people call plastic surgery psychology with a knife. Yeah, but really that's a little bit glib as a statement, because it's more like trying to negotiate and navigate each person's individual psychology. And sometimes it's reassuring people to say, look your arms, your breasts, your eyes, your nostrils, your legs. There is a variation between what is normal between two sides of anything.
Speaker 1: Well, it's the same thing.
Speaker 2: I'm legally blind in one eye, so like, I struggle with one side of my face and I constantly have to take photos of my face and flip it so I can see the other side properly, and every time it's like, oh my God, is that what I look like?
Speaker 1: Bloody hell.
Speaker 3: But I think that's really important for people to understand that it's okay to vary from the normal quote unquote, because the normal is set by people who are actually chasing the symmetry and things, which actually, if you look at nature, nature itself doesn't do symmetry.
Speaker 2: And it is funny because if you do make someone look exactly symmetrical, they look weird, they look done.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, and some people like that.
Speaker 3: So I mentioned that I lived in Iran as a child, and in Iran there's a huge rhinoplasty industry. Okay, so there's a lot of rhinoplastis done and there's a status symbol around the run plasty. So people whereas a lot of patients here will hide away for the postop recovery because it's a sign that I've got money to afford a rhinoplasty. People walk around with the bandages on their nose, even if they haven't had a rhinoplasty.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 3: So I noticed that when I travel there. But there are places in each capital city here, Melbourne and Sydney where people definitely want to look done. Yes, parts of the West Coast of the United States as well, in different different jurisdictions, and people want to look done. So I say to them, that's fine, but I'm not your guy, yes, because I want to be doing a surgery that the person who meets you for the first time doesn't say what's wrong with your eyes? They just think, or even people to know you, they say, oh, you look refreshed. Yes.
Speaker 2: So I'm deep in the queer community. I'm surrounded by a lot of trans friends, and one thing they need in their gender affirmation is not need, but a lot of them require is surgery to make them feel more comfortable in their skin. But a big trend that's been happening is they're all flying either to Bang Kong or to Turkey or to hear or there. I believe it's just a budget thing because it's so expensive and I can not even imagine. But have you had to deal with many cases because one of my friends. For example, she went over to Bangkok. She was getting excess skin removed because she'd lost a lot of weight and she'd been saving up. I was so excited and she got severely infected. She was stuck over there for months and then had to come home. She couldn't work and work for so long. Have you had to deal with many cases from what's happened overseas? And what are your thoughts on the glamorization of we'll just go on a holiday.
Speaker 1: It's a package.
Speaker 2: You know, everyone's going to get their hair transplant done. This that like, Oh I just book a one stop trip. They pick up from the airport. It's lovely, but is it well, Look.
Speaker 3: It's a massive industry and if complications occurre and a small percentage of people, how do you manage them. That's the most important thing about surgery. When you're choosing your surgeon, you need to feel comfortable that if there's something that goes wrong, they will be there to guide you through. They won't abandon you push you off to someone else. They shouldn't charge, it shouldn't cost anything if that happens, and so it's about being there to look after the issues. The trouble with medical tourism is once you have literally walked out that door, you're not their problem anymore. Patients I talk to can't get in touch again, they can't get someone to look at them, and they're on their own in a foreign country.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it seems like they even just chuck you straight like almost straight back on the plane. One more consultation, which is really dangerous, Yeah, because of the risk of DVTs bleeding and fluid leakage.
Speaker 3: Being at altitude. Because the pressure blood pressure stays the same, the cabin pressure goes down, so your blood pressure relatively is higher, So if you're going to bleed, that's the time you're going to bleed, and they put you on the plane and an off your shoot. Now, maybe just say ninety percent of people have no problems, that's great, But if you're one of the ten percent, it doesn't matter what the success rate is elsewhere. You're on your own, and as your friend would, I suspect a test. It's a pretty lonely, harrowing place when there's nowhere to turn. If you're in a foreign country where you don't have an insurance system or reciprocation of rights, which a lot of those places you mentioned do not suddenly if you're having a big problem, it's on your travel insurance. Now do they even cover that stuff. A lot of them have exclusions for medical tourism. When you come back, you then either are in the public system some health if you have private insurance, they will exclude those sort of things. So it really it's a false economy. By the time you add in a trip, accommodation, medications, transport to and from the airport, and then all those risks on top, it's actually not cheaper to go to those destinations which ostensibly you're right, they packed them, so this is what you can do. The other thing they're doing is they're doing what we shouldn't be doing. One of the adages of plastic surgery is you should stage every operation, never do today what could be honorably left to do tomorrow. If you're doing say a whole body post weight loss, there might be arms, breastlift.
Speaker 1: Tummy tucket, fire, bang, bang, bang bang.
Speaker 3: They'll do sixteen seventeen hour operations, which are really dangerous.
Speaker 2: And the thing that scared me too is some of these people don't know I've gone. They have their consultation, like the same day they arrive, you have their consultation and then get cut open instantly.
Speaker 3: Horrific.
Speaker 2: I can understand the mentality to imagine if you were there and you're like, actually, I'm not sure about this, but I'm in a different country. I've already spent this money. I've told everyone I'm coming here to do this, so you just go ahead with it, which is.
Speaker 3: Well, you feel forced into us. Yeah, and if you talk.
Speaker 2: To especially when there's a language barrier on top of that as well.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent they're like, well, I've spent the money, now I'm sort of obliged to do it. But I think the big thing is that if you look at someone who's trained for ten or eighteen or twenty years to do something, and then you've had someone who's trained for six months or a year to do the same thing, you might be fine, right, if you're lucky, you might be fine. But what if you're one of that percentage of people who isn't fine? What happens? Then that's a question each person should be asking. I mean, the very simple thing is people should be asking, what are your qualifications? Are you actually a surgeon? You'd be surprised that some people in Australia who are allowed to trade as surgeons are not actually trained through the College of Surgeons. Really, yeah, a lot of people are surprised by that. Yeah, there's a lot of times I see people who say, well, I just assumed if they called themselves a surgeon, they were a plastic surgeon completely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in your career, have you had to try and rectifie some hack jobs from overseas or local or is it happening everywhere?
Speaker 1: The hacked aratraumatic of me.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean it may be something where there's been a mishap that's inverted an unavoidable or there's something that is due to not being familiar and not being trained. About thirty percent of the work I do is where someone's had an operation before that you're not happy with. Now, look, patients might not be happy with my operation and they might go elsewhere. I wouldn't know about it. But the thing is the doors always open. I've had a few patients who had rhyino plasts in Turkey. Yes, I had unfortunate lady who I just said to look, I can't fix that. And the sad thing is she shows the before picture and she said, I just want this little hump gone.
Speaker 1: And she looked.
Speaker 3: It was a pretty nose, and now it looks like someone who's had a severe accident or something's happened. It's entirely collapsed. She can't breathe through it, and she hates it to the point that she still goes around wearing a COVID mask. Now she can't show herself in her eyes, she can't show herself in public. And she's gone back for two or three operations and now she comes in. The trouble is that the structure of the nose, the cartilage, is all collapsed in so the skin shrinks. So it's not just a matter of if you put the cart ledge back. You can take rib graphs sometimes, but the skin, once it's shrunk down, the pocket's shrunk, you can't put those in anymore unless you do something like import skin using microsurgery from the hand or from the forehead to replace that skin and start again. But the trouble is that's a huge operation. There's scars, and a lot of the things that have done overseas aren't what we would see is very regulated in terms of the standards know that. In some countries they call it the dolls nose, which is like that, yeah, now you definitely get sued in Australia if you did that. It's it's completely wrong to do that. But they come back with this because that's the local perception of what's attracted.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what it's going to say.
Speaker 2: It's like, is there some surgeons where you go in for something they're like, well no, they take the term artists a bit too far and they go, well, this is what I do and this is what this is what's best for you.
Speaker 1: That is that what happens. Look it shouldn't because it's like, do they.
Speaker 2: When you're a surgeon, do you essentially have a cv of surgeries you've done, like I did this and did this.
Speaker 1: Especially I guess now.
Speaker 2: In this social media world where surgeons are doing live surgeries on TikTok and they're putting their Instagram accounts and they want to show their work, is there more are they more pushed to be like all right, well I'm going to do this because this is what I.
Speaker 1: Want to show off. You know.
Speaker 3: I think it's what people sometimes, you know, the old saying if all you have is a hammer the whole world looks like a nail. Yes, sometimes people are rather than what I mentioned, tailoring the solutions to what the patients need. Yes, it's tailoring what they give the patient to what they can do.
Speaker 1: Get true.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about for a second for trends in cosmetic surgery. So I feel like for a long time was all the ladies want of their boobs done? And then I feel like the Kardashians happened and everyone wanted hips and bum and all of that. What have you seen over the years in terms of the trends of what's in and what's out.
Speaker 3: I think probably two things I've seen that have really changed. One is that look of being natural versus looking done, and that varies but goes in fits and starts, depending on things like the Kardashians. Now, one thing I've noticed in the last probably five years is breasts have changed in what people believe. There was a time when you know, if you look back in the sort of images of the nineteen eighties and things huge breasts, I mean enormous implants that were clearly too big for that patient were trendy. Yes, and more and more now I'm noticing that people are coming in and they're saying, I want those implants out and I don't want anything back in What can you do for me?
Speaker 1: And that was that'd be full reconstructive as well.
Speaker 3: Well, that's it's a problem because what happens is you take out the implants and then they sag. Yeah, but the trouble is that the patients asleep, so they never see how much sag has been generated by taking out the implant, and they just see what you end up with, which is never as good as if they'd had nothing done.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to get creative. Yep, okay, because you know it was it was boobs, it was butts.
Speaker 1: What do you think is going to.
Speaker 2: Be the next hot ticket surgery that everyone's going to be knocking on your door or going, can I please have this? I'd say, what I reckon? I'm going to put my money on toe removal. I don't need to be balanced, but I could fit into a lot more shoes if I have these pes guitars.
Speaker 3: That's very interesting that you say that, because.
Speaker 1: No one's asked you to remove their toes before.
Speaker 2: Have they My.
Speaker 3: Favorite operation, just a secret, the favorite one to do. If I were doing a technical operation is what we call a tota hand transfer, and so is that what it's so someone if someone yeah, exactly what sounds like? You take the second toe and it surprisingly makes a really good digit on the hand. So the toe to hand transfer.
Speaker 1: What about an extra digit on the hand?
Speaker 3: I was up in Queensland with my family and the colas have two thumbs. Well, I was thinking how useful that onto something that useless? Second toe and give another thumb. Imagine the stuff you could do texting? How fast could your text?
Speaker 2: The game as the game as we love on either hand we've called it here first to hand, I call it the tinger. So that was remand the plastic surgeon.
Speaker 1: Ah, I tell you what.
Speaker 2: He may have a big brain, but I'm all about having an extra digit if you know what I mean. You've been listening to an iHeart Australia production Concealed with art simone.
Speaker 1: Listen to more of what you
Speaker 2: Love on iHeart and to check out a sculpted work of plastic art, check me out on the socials