Speaker 1: Tute, Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms, catch up podcast Lex and Rooms.
Speaker 2: It is Flex and Frooms on Kita. What happens when clout doesn't actually transfer into the preferred commodity sales same whatever you think it is that you want. This has happened recently to former Love Island winner and fan favorite, but also the most hated at the same time. It's really odd, entertaining, but also for the same reasons. We love the entertainment. It wasn't always good stuff. It was sometimes.
Speaker 3: Slimy something whatever, whatever, and you would do it too for a check.
Speaker 1: Not true.
Speaker 2: But ekin Sue, who her name is Ecken Sue, she got about three point two million followers, and when she left the Love Island House she signed a one million dollar deal with a fast.
Speaker 3: Fashion retailer called o Poly.
Speaker 2: It's the biggest deal in the history of Love Island ever. Really big stuff. Right for context, Before Ekinsou got into the house, she was kind of like an actress, been in a few chill things, you know, not a household name, not an influencer. But she's not an influencer to begin with, so this is huge. So when she signed that deal, she launched this sixteen piece collection that was meant to change the game about forty pounds for a piece or whatever. But now when you go onto the site, the prices have been slashed. Are they getting rid of stock?
Speaker 3: Who knows? And so recently in the news.
Speaker 2: About six months after the collaboration was announced or the partnership, she got dropped by opoly. That's never happened. Who gets dropped from a partnership for not doing anything illegal or defamatory or causing indemnity of any kind.
Speaker 3: So everyone's like, what's going on? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Both Eckensue and the brand have been left disappointed, and that now there's a dispute over money owed in the lucrative contract, Eckensu's threatening legal action for being dropped. For some more contexts, Initially, when Eckensu won, there was a bidding war that took place between a bunch of these fast fashion retailers who were all trying to monus ties her villa win, and so she got she received a lot of offers, obviously really really big offers because she was popping, but also because it was one of the biggest Loveland Love Island series in history. Was presumed that any money to be made was going to be made from her. I'm not sure if you're familiar with Molly May. Yes, so she was also a previous Love Island winner and her contracts were not nearly.
Speaker 3: As big, and she is a different era.
Speaker 2: But similarly, you know, seeing how fast she's come, one would assume that echancy would take the same trajectory. Now, it's tricky because this idea of clout, it is such an ephemeral commodity.
Speaker 3: What is it? We know it's worth a lot, but in what way?
Speaker 2: You know? It's like people look at someone like Ekinsue and they have this assumption that the way that people like her and the fan fare that is around her should automatically translate into money. She's a pretty girl, she wears some fast fashion. Why wouldn't anyone buy it? And that's the question, why didn't anyone buy it?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I don't know if you need to know Ekinsu to know why people didn't buy it, But I think it all comes back to the fact that, like the formula is so played out and it's becoming more of an emotional decision than people realize. I think when people look at Clout and fame and money and e commerce and all of these things. They think it's formulaic. Anyone could do it right, go on a reality TV show, get a profile, make some money.
Speaker 3: And I don't think it is that.
Speaker 2: I feel like an emotional connection of some capacity is required to line a pocket of a reality TV style, an influencer or whatever it might be. It's not just the number, it's not just the perceived beauty or glamour. There is an emotional connection, and I don't think that people really clock it in the way that they should for it to make sense.
Speaker 1: So my favorite example of this from a reality show dating show is Martha K.
Speaker 3: Martha K.
Speaker 1: So I actually met Martha Kay when you did my makeup at Mecca, like four or five years ago. Whoa I know, And she was really funny and nice. She was pretty much exact same as when she.
Speaker 3: Was on the show. Mind you.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch the show, but like I've seen her on social media and I know how loved she is. Like someone that I know that does not watch reality TV like loves Marfa and it's the random.
Speaker 3: We do love Martha. We love Martha.
Speaker 1: But it's a rare thing to me because Mary's a mum, see what I mean. I'm down with the law, and I'm not even that across it neither. Yeah, So I think she's like a really good example of, like so of going on a show like Married at First Sight, which when she was on the show, like that show was not what it was now right now, to Juggernaut and like to be on it, Like I love that. You know, i'd go on it maybe it's a juggernaut, which you really No, I wouldn't, but like no shape to anyone who does, but you wouldn't, Like I remember when it came out like made sensationalless headlines because it's the craziest concept for a show ever when we couldn't gay marriage wasn't legal.
Speaker 3: That was insane. How did we allow this?
Speaker 1: So I think she's a really good example of like I'm sure she converts in terms of sales, Like I like her and I don't even know that much about it, like I'm not even across it, and I want to like support her just because like I met her at I met her again at Beyond the Valley over New Years and she's just like she's just magnetic. So I think some people have the secret sauce, and I hope the producers could see that, like, and I hope she gets every little thing that she wants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's interesting because I agree with the secret source concept.
Speaker 3: But I also feel as though.
Speaker 2: You can tell that the producers and the show writers and all those people under the impression it's the show that makes the star, not the star becoming the star, right, like the assumption that we've made this concept. It's interesting despite who we put on it. So whatever fame that you were mass it's because you came from this show. And I think in a lot of cases, the show provides the perfect framework for even the most boring person to be seen as interesting when they come off.
Speaker 3: And it's not to do about with.
Speaker 2: Their personality, but it's how people connect. And I don't really think we're conscious of why we like certain people, why you and I are both so feel so parasocially connected to Matha and we really like it. Shee's really cool. I didn't watch the show. I'm not familiar, you know, I'm not across every little thing she's doing with you know, her partner and her child and whatever.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, she's sick, you know.
Speaker 2: But there are some people who have the fan base who aren't connecting, and we also don't know why not to say that it can't be formulaic. But I wonder if we'll ever get to the point where we truly recognize the power of not only your personality, but how you connect with people in a way that you can't control. It's not that you're having these individual interactions and almost guaranteeing that I can conjure up a positive interaction because I made this person laugh. It's by people just interacting with you and you never get to speak to them, and yet it's fascinating. It's Paris Social Relationships two point zero, the study that hasn't been conducted, and that's going.
Speaker 1: To be our next undertaking. PERABS.
Speaker 3: See you've been listening to The flexen Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 1: For more, Tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.