Speaker 1: Got anything, dag Hey, this is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast.
Speaker 2: Yesterday the show.
Speaker 3: Then we're talking about this UFOs story here in Melbourne in nineteen sixty six.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of the story, and we're asking at.
Speaker 3: The endless show if there were any of the then children that are around now that we could hear their eyewitness account of what happened with the three UFOs. They've got a lovely email from a lady called Joy, who was twelve at the time in nineteen sixty six, said she'd be happy to speak to us, and she joins us now, Joy, good morning, good morning, listen, thank you so much for speaking to us today. We're all really interested in what you saw and yeah, what it was like, Joy, if you're happy to go.
Speaker 1: Back there, oh absolutely, And first up, it's a true story. It happened, believe you may, it happened. And as you said, I was actually twelve and a half. But the ego and so where do you want me to start at? What happened with how I sort of saw them in the first place?
Speaker 2: Exactly? So what was it in the morning? Was it the afternoon?
Speaker 1: Yea, now, look it was it was twenty past ten in the morning. I was in science class and it was coming up to morning recess and a student, it was a female, ran up to the door, flung the door open and said, mister Greenwood, mister Greenwood, there's flying sources in the sky, there's things in the sky. Well, of course we all just burst out laughing. Yeah right, And anyway, then, of course we got a bit restless because we wanted to go outside and have a look. But he made us wait until the bell went, and it went a couple of minutes later.
Speaker 2: Got a minute, there's three those up the sky. Now, mister green was going to hang on it and pack away, you bunsen burners all got a couple of locker bout.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, he was a brilliant teacher. He was quite young anyway. So anyway, so we all finally we'll get out the door down the corridor. Of course we're told not to run, but we were all walking very quickly and out through the corridors and down out and out onto the oval. And there was all the other kids that were out there playing sports that had been out there earlier. They were doing pa playing cricket and football and all stuff. So they had already seen them and came round across the oval and stood there and looked into the sky and oh, my god, yeah, what did you eat? Well? I saw three flying sources, and that's the way I could have described them. They looked like flying sources, like things that we'd seen in comic books. And you know, whatever else is that shape? You know that that sauce of shape and with a sort of hump in the middle. And I was just I was really really excited, but I was transfixed. I just stood there and I was concentrating so much on one that I was looking at, because I wanted to take in everything that I was looking at, because I'd never seen anything like that before. And apparently there was pandemonium happening, with noise and what all sort of stuff that I don't have because I was so fixated on what I was looking at. I don't remember that noise that was happening. My older sister does. She was there too, but she was around the other side of the school and she said, oh god, some of the kids were going off their tree. They were hysterical. I was, and I was really really excited, and I was just incredible, just incredible, great silver, silver, silver, yeah, silvery, and hovered and the way they moved was just incredible. They could go straight up in the air. You'd look and all of a sudden they were to the right, and then all of a sudden one was over the left, and then there was one in the middle, and then they were hovering over that. There was a big power line down the bottom of the paddock or not the paddic, the oval, you know, electricity pylon, and they were hovering over there and moving back and forward, and oh, it's just amazing. It was incredible. And then after a few minutes or a few minutes, they were moving all over the place. And then some light aircraft came from Arabin Airport. Because we're extremely close to Marabin Airport and we were used to seeing planes all the time, so we knew what they were. They were a little fistness of something, and they came and it turned eventually it was like a game of cat and mouse. They had to come in and they were trying to circle these things, and all of a sudden they get really close and the saucer would just fly up in straight up in the sky at incredible speed, or move over there, and they had to go and turn around and come back. And yeah, so it was like they're having a game with them. It was really quite ironic. What was going on there?
Speaker 2: The windows in the alien craft? Could you see any air?
Speaker 1: I can't, That's one thing I really can't remember. Yep, yep, there possibly. Some of the other people have said there were lights and everything on the bottom and stuff. I mean, I have a friend who came within touching distance of one and yeah, and she's a very reputable witness as well, and yeah, she said there were that sort of small lights and because it was on the ground or hovering in front of her, and yeah, anyway, they're in the sky own that went on and then all of a sudden they disappeared and went up in the sky and went back over towards the Grange. Now the Grange in those days it was quite a rural area and it was only a very Newish school, and we had market gardens, we had bush, we had you know, pine trees, all sorts of stuff. There was an old abandoned house in the grange that we used to you know, and it was an area where went after school and played and on holidays and we used to do our country cross country runs through there, and some of the kids had bolted over the fence and taken off after them to have a look. And then, pardon me, they were gone for a few minutes. I really wish I had a run too, but I was too frightened, because I was not frightened. But we weren't allowed to leave the grounds in those days, and we really get.
Speaker 2: Run back to class.
Speaker 1: Come on, that's right. That was that was the thing that they couldn't do withither. They couldn't get anybody to go back to glass after what happened. And then they came back in the sky, and they were back up in the sky for a while doing a bit of a uh, you know, moving, and then it was like busy friend another friend that I still see after allege years recalled that we thought one was bigger than the other, but we're thinking that was because it was close to us, and the other two was sort of a little bit further back. And then the big one in the middle just went straight up in there.
Speaker 2: I call it the alien yo yo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it turned on the side, and as it turned on the side, the sun hit the bottom of the disk and you got like a beam of light and then just one thing. The next minute, bang they were gone, and they were gone.
Speaker 3: Incredible and joy and then there are all these rumors that then sort of, you know, people dressed in military outfits turned up.
Speaker 1: And that's not rumors, that's not rumors, that's fact. I actually walked around to the other side of the school after they disappeared, and I was hanging We had a pipe excuse me, fum pipe factory opposite us. Now, I was hanging over the fence right next to the caretakes his office when these jeeps pulled up, you see, and I thought, oh, that's a bit strange, wonder what's going on here. And anyway, all of a sudden they pull up, they pulled up the back, the tarp hole and thing off the back and out get these men in green uniforms. Thinking hmm, that's interesting, that's army. And there were a couple of them that were also in camouflage. Now, in nineteen sixty six, and this is fact, Australian Army did not wear camouflage, but the Americans did. And there was some American soldiers that were stationed in Victoria Barracks in Melbourne at that state Anyway, they got out of the young thing and they were writing. They had clipboards and they were writing and talking to each other. Then they jumped in the things and took off. Now they obviously went down to the grange, so they disappeared. Now then during in the course of the day, we had people that came from that were in blue uniforms which were Air Force. We had the army people, a couple of army people. There were men in black suits who questioned some of the kids in the principal's office. There were police, there were firebrians. Oh yeah, this was going on. And in the meantime the teachers or that, you know, we're trying to get the kids back in the school and nobody's going back.
Speaker 2: You've seen three alien spacecraft.
Speaker 1: Yes we know, we know, we know what we saw. And anyway, and then of course we had an assembly with our principal trying to get everybody to calm down and whatever else. Now he stood in the we had a quadrangle where we used to have our assemblies, and he was upon a sort of raised step stall like the panamy and he was there with the advice principal. Now behind him was a long corridor that went from the front of the school to the office, and it was full glass. Now all these people were standing in there, watching and listening to what he was telling us. Now he was telling us that we were all massively hysterical, that we hadn't seen anything, that we were not to talk about it. If we talked about it, we get you know, there would be consequences. You do not speak to the media, You do not tell anybody.
Speaker 2: And you can trust two hundred kids to keep their mouth shut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of coast you can. And then that was okay, that was right, And then I got it. I got actually got detention because I've spoken. Channel nine had rapped.
Speaker 2: Up at the.
Speaker 1: Channel nine, Yes, Channel nine Knews had dropped up, and they there was a There was five of us standing out the front of the school and we're being interviewed by that the reporter and a policeman walked up to me and put his hand on my left shoulder and said to me, now you stopped talking and go back in the school. And he turned his back on us and he's pointed at the at the film people and the reporter and said a new lot to go away.
Speaker 2: So that's incredible. Story, Joyce, you were seen all that?
Speaker 3: Tell me this joy Over the years, you know, you must have spoken to so many people about it. Do some people not believe you?
Speaker 1: Oh? Of course, God, I got all the time. How drunk were you and what drugs were you on? It's you know, twelve and a half years old and back in the sixties. I mean, our principal was ex army and he ruled with an iron fist. Absolutely. You know, you were not allowed to leave those school grounds under any circumstances. So of course the kids that had jumped the fence and taken off they got into trouble too, because it was coming up to Easter though. It was coming up to Easter break, so we didn't get the attention until we went back to school.
Speaker 2: That's how did that should be my big question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we were category categoric lay but we were all you know, we hadn't seen anything. We just imagined that all this had happened. Yeah. Right, as I say to people, I don't have an issue what people think. I know what I saw, All those other people know what they saw, and always say to people your opinion, you can have it. I don't have a problem with that. But I'll ask you one question and they say what's that? And I say, well, were you there? And they say no, And I said, well I was. End of story. I don't have to justify myself to anybody's in. It's an experience that I actually feel privileged to have experienced. It's put me in. You know, I've met some really wonderful people in planning yourself over the years, renewed old friendships. It's been to me with a bonus.
Speaker 3: I don't have the way to see it all well us enjoy. Thank you so much for being to speak to us and taking us back there. It's an amazing eyewitness account. You've got joy and you told it so well. You already put us there back in nineteen sixty six and what it was all like. So thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Oh you're welcome. So we said, there's so much. You know, one day we might get the answer we want and all we want is that verification and we know what we saw, and oh to you quickly. We have a reunion every year down at the grange, and this year.
Speaker 2: The grange, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: It's still there. It's still there. The playground in west in Osbourne Avenue and Westore, and we have we just go down and get together and have lunch, and we have people, we have witnesses, We have people that ask us questions. We sometimes get some new witnesses that come forward as well. And that's happening on the sixth of April this year, because that's the usually we are have it on the weekend closest to the day. Actually we share it is happening on Sunday, Sunday, So.
Speaker 3: All right, Sunday isn't because the seventh on the Monday. Yeah, all right, well I might come along actually, Joy, Yeah, we'll do. Look, we I might pretend to be.
Speaker 2: A new witness to start making up live And what about the bears that got out? Do you remember that coming to Green Markets?
Speaker 1: Yeah? One one thing that none of us have ever said that we saw aliens. We definitely saw craft, but none of us. That's something had to be controlling, so there is no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: Joy, thank you very much for chating to us. Enjoy your day.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: A Christian O'Connell Show Podcast