Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by Quantus, the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again this season, Quantus is proud to be flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Hey everyone, welcome to another episode of The Unplayable Podcast. We've got a big show for you today as always, Kane Richardson here, josh On I think is my name? And rich O being told to move on by any former Australian lead spinners. This week, I hasn't been a pretty quiet week for you?
Speaker 2: Pretty quiet week? Yeah, I'm all about the podcast Love today. There's been a little bit going on where, you know, people have been bickering and even other other hosts have been throwing their mates under the bus. So I'm all about just us being as tight as we can be today. Friendship Podcast Love. So it was actually my weekly We know you've jumped the gun there, but that was going to be my weekly winn, just bringing back the love in podcasting. Oh you know what, when my kids would dream about doing this one day and we do it for the love Okay, So let's remember that friendship. We're here together, we're a team. We work together at all time. So thanks for the segue.
Speaker 1: But wow, okay, yeah, yeah, that was not set up at all, So it wasn't.
Speaker 2: We actually haven't spoken until we got in here. We're saving our material for this podcast. But I just wanted you to know that I want to get on the front foot and get it out there for everyone, but for yourself, that we're a team, we're equal.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yep, you're welcome anyway, move on.
Speaker 1: I think it's about the third time you even wanted it to me as well, So nice that's to us.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're going to give it to us.
Speaker 1: I like that. And because cricketers always say that they play get the best results when they're enjoying the game, and they you know, they haven't fallen out of clubs, so that makes sense. We're going to get our best results on this pot if we're just feeling the love like.
Speaker 3: We did when we're kids, and we did this.
Speaker 1: Absolutely my likely winner. I'm going over to New Zealand first class cricket. Did you see this during the week Brett Randell Randell sorry, Brett Randall, got to get his name right. Five wickets in five balls, the first time that's happened in first class history. Central Stags against the Northern Districts. He finished with seven to twenty five, three handy figures. But five in five doesn't get much better than that, does it?
Speaker 3: Well in six from six would be better. I did.
Speaker 2: I actually watched it because you sent it to me because I wasn't following the live stream.
Speaker 3: Actually just turned it off before that happened.
Speaker 2: But to be fair, the way the mode of dismissal, and I've read the comments is a little bit of conjecture over the hat trick dismissal. But he had it moving, he had the ball talking, didn't he. So remember the name. You actually got it wrong there, So let's make sure from now on we never get his name.
Speaker 3: Wrong, which is Rendell.
Speaker 2: Randell made the same mistake, Remember the name, But pretty impressive start.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe the umpire got a little bit caught in the moment with that third one, But you know that's okay, isn't it, Because at the end of the day he goes and gets two more.
Speaker 2: So part of history. Yeah, I actually was surprised that's never been done. Like you think of how long we've been playing first US cricket. Isn't there records back in the thirteen like thirteen hundreds or whatever it was, We had pictures with where guys take fifteen hundred wickets over their career and average one point two with the ball. So I'm actually surprised that that never happened. So yeah, at least the umpire is part of history. Whether that dismissed was wrong or right, it's in the in the record books forever.
Speaker 1: Amazing. One of the comments I saw, can you imagine the at a confusion and chaos in the change rooms when the number sevens padding up even though it wasn't you know, a couple of overs into the match.
Speaker 3: It's like that bad dream.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've ever had it, but a lot of cricketers have had that dream where you're next in, you're not even padded up, you're wearing like flip flops walking around there outside of the ground. That's that's that running between the wickets, when you're stuck in the mud. That's the cricketers get. So you're right, that probably would have been a real life bad dream for a lot of that middle order.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because getting timed out. We don't see that a lot, but I mean this is a prime case.
Speaker 3: Is that how the sixth wicket felt?
Speaker 1: Maybe we had some responses to our Big four from last week, which was the best part time bowlers. So thank you to everyone who got involved on Instagram and at podcasts dot cricket dot and at the email addressed podcast at cricket dot com dot. You'll get that right. One day, Travis Head was mentioned a lot and a lot. We didn't give him any laugh. He was, he was in the notes, He was in the notes, but we didn't officially nominate him. Michael Clark of course, Michael Bevan left risties and Steve Spith of course, with right wrist spin he got a lot of bluff, as did Sashinton Duoka, who yeah, took a lot of wickets, But of course he's known for his batting xpos, isn't he.
Speaker 2: So they're interesting. Michael Bevan under an under used bowler, but I wouldn't. He didn't bowl March, did he like? Even in white Pool Cricket not a he Yeah, I'm just going off without looking at stats, but I feel like I never really got to see him, but I remember him bowling but not, it wasn't It wasn't enough to even be a part timmy. He was, what's what's the next category? Well, yeah, what's below part timer? Minimal time occasional.
Speaker 1: We have an answer from Dawsy as well. He said I want to see Manus bowl Moore, but hear me out more as an off spinner.
Speaker 3: An off spinner. Yeah, has he even bowled that before?
Speaker 1: I think we saw him did a little bit for Glamorgan maybe a year raw ago.
Speaker 2: That's on the counter ground. Anything, it's a different game. Anything can happen and acceptable. Yeah, I'm not sure about that. Declaration bowling in counting cricket is a common thing, so maybe he was declaration bowling.
Speaker 3: We don't want that.
Speaker 1: That's a bad look. So and of course one other shout out to Curtis Patterson, the new South Wales veteran who got his first wicket in professional cricket last week. It was a can't really say an unplayable delivery to get rid of base and Sanger, but it was a full toss and Sanger, who was one hundred and fifteen at the time, hit it straight to Charlie Stobo at short leg sorry square leg, but it doesn't matter, doesn't It.
Speaker 2: Does not matter that it must have been an amazing feeling, like he clocked up one hundred first GUSS games to New South Walest recently and you said it's first week in all fourmats and he's yeah, mid approaching mid thirty. So he probably would have those sleepless nights thinking is it ever going to happen? And there you go to do it to get his ex team made out. They lost the game, but I think he would have been the happiest man in Australia when they hit the postgame drinks.
Speaker 3: So well done, KP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well on KP. And we'll touch a little bit more on KP in New South Wales as we get into the One Day Cup preview that's coming up after this short break. There's also been a T twenty World Cup Women's cricket and a Shield final to come up, so after this we'll be right back. It's the One Day Cup Final this week. Rich O March eleven on Wednesday's Tasmania hosting New South Wales. A great chance of the Tigers to win their first title in sixteen seasons. They haven't won it since two thousand and nine. To ten and they've got some big inclusions as well, Nathan Allis, Matt Koneman and Matthew Waiter all in the equation to return to the eleven. They've had a great season so far. They won their first five games, a little bit of a stumble just after Christmas, losing their last two, but you'd have to say they've been the most dominant side this year and they were nominated by you right at the start of the season to be run up there at the end of the At the end of the.
Speaker 2: Year they were probably wasn't for the One Day Cup, but when you look at their team and the inclusions to come back in, you can see why they started the season so well. Jordan Silk was joking over the Big Bash that is the Hobart Hurricanes Academy, and he's one of the overseas being from the Sydney Sixers, so Matt Cooeman is obviously the other. I don't think there's anyone else that plays for another Big Bash team. Wow, okay off the top of my head, but again, a team that's pretty well put together for the for the Big Bash in terms of that Hobart squad, So to keep that team together to play one day cricket, which isn't the same, but it can correlate pretty well to fifty overs. So they're going to put a really strong team on the on the on the park and going to be hard to beat, especially in their conditions. So I will claim that if they win that it was my thought process back in September, but I definitely thought that they would be around the mark for the Shield. So if they can win a One Day Cup, I'm sure they'll put the season together as a positive and move along for the last Shield game for the year.
Speaker 1: Definitely. Silki also suggested to you that we might see Mitchell and opening this Shepherd. We didn't quite see that this year, did we didn't. He's been doing it in the One Day came.
Speaker 2: Well, there's one game to go, and we just joked that, you know, it's like the end of term when you get to March, and you know, if there's one game to go and there's nothing to lose, or that's a gain or there could be something to gain, let's put unleash in. Yeah, you put it out there, You told me to put it on the podcast. He made me look silly, so back it up. He's got one chance, one chance. See what happens New South Wales.
Speaker 1: They won't have Steve Smith, and they won't have Mitch Stark or Josh Hazel would of course, but they do have obviously plenty of players who have been in and around a strange selection of recent years. Sewn Abbott, Ben Dorsies are going to be available, and Adam Zampa, unfortunately, well maybe fortunately for TANV is saying up. I think Sampa has put his hand up to play, but given that tam V has been in and around, he's sort of said, well, he's the leading we could taker in the competition. I'm going to let you play. It's unlikely to play two spinners down at Hobart, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably the last place you would pick two legies for a fifty over game. So yeah, again from Adam's point of view, I'm sure he'd love to play, but also very what's.
Speaker 3: The word very selfish?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably the word that you know, TAMV has been there the whole year, so give him his opportunity. And he's obviously a player coming through that has been identified as possibly having a really long career in White Book cricket, especially for Australia, so to get a final under his belt, his age is beneficial and probably the opposite of how Tazzi you're doing it. They're loading up, aren't They're getting a forty year old back from Australian coaching duty to that in the middle order. But I mean he's obviously a an amazing player as well, so why wouldn't you do that? But you can't fit all leg spinners into the eleven. So yeah, very noble of zants and I'm sure TMB is very happy that he gets the opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as much as we'd love to have six legs spinners in the team, which just doesn't happen, does it. Curtis Patterson, he has hit five hundred and thirteen runs in this competitions, the most out of anybody, and I just wanted to flag that if he passes six hundred runs this season, so if he gets eighty seven or more, which you wouldn't put it past him, he will join only two players to hit six hundred runs in a One Day Cup season Brad Hodge in twenty nine ten and Phil Jakes in two thousand and five six And those were the days they were playing ten or eleven games a season. We only play six or seven now, so incredible stuff from Curtis. Of course, Manus lavish and is hit four centuries, but Curtis still has more runs than him, and it's just been one of those all time seasons it has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like you said, they played a hell of a lot more so it's pretty steen company just off the back of that. But then to do it in half the half the games or a bit over half the games is such an amazing achievement. So hopefully he does.
Speaker 3: That's been good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a history love we love recent recent history being included with the you know, the greats of the competition. So have they named the one Day Player of the year. Did Manus get that or have they not named that?
Speaker 1: Yeahs Manus is pretty.
Speaker 2: Unlucky to miss out Curtis when you rattle off those numbers, but insane. I mean, Malnus has obviously had a great season as well, but Curtis's team are in the final where it matters, so Coinsland are chasing the Shield final. But at least again there's only two trophies up for grabs for state teams. As such, So to be in the running for one is what you want.
Speaker 1: And Curtis he was the driving force in the most recent victory over Tasmania. Just a week or so ago, new had the Bells chase down Tasmaniu's two hundred and seventy four in only thirty one overs. Patterson hit one hundred and twenty five not out from eighty nine balls, and Greg ship had said after the game, this performance deserves a bit more attention because to chase down mat at what nine and over? Yeah, I mean, yes, it's at Bell Reeve where scoring can be pretty good, but even so nine over is incredible.
Speaker 2: It's tough to do so and that that would have been that would have got him into the finals, and they got there with nine. They almost got a triple bonus point, didn't they. So yeah, to do that to get to make a final is yeah. I mean Greg Schippard's talking there. This is his kind of last cracket with him moving aside at the end of the year and then being out of the Shield running. So I mean, for him, he must feel so proud of that that team for turning it around and being in with an opportunity to win a to win a final. And we've talked about New South Wales cricket. They've been a little bit down the last few years, so for them to turn it around since the Big Bushes has finished, yeah, it must make him really proud that he's leaving that stayed in. Well, what you would say is a better they're in better shape than when he took over and in a few years ago, and he's he's had a great track record wherever he's been bringing success. So yeah, hopefully I mean hopefully for him he wants to win, but also Tazzy do as well, So there's some good storylines approaching this One Day Cup final.
Speaker 1: Now that you're a new South Wales resident, have you been approached about the vacant gig at all?
Speaker 3: I haven't.
Speaker 2: I've just been compiling my coaching experience, which is minimal at this stage. So maybe in about fifteen to forty five years I'll look at that. When I say forty five years, it's probably how old ship he is and he's put together forty five years of it. Yeah, so yeah, no, I haven't thought about that one.
Speaker 1: And of course, if we go right back to the start of the season, Tazzy defeated New South Wales by two wickets. It was that match where Brad Hope and Matt Cooneman put one hundred RUMs for the ninth wicket. So they've already played twice this season when yeah, you only play every team once and then yeah there's one team, so it'll be their third matchup for the year and it's one to one at the minute.
Speaker 2: And with Koneman back in the team that well, bowlers meeting, their bowler's meeting is probably going to go over time.
Speaker 3: Now how do we get him out?
Speaker 2: So vital inclusion for Tassy maybe maybe just as much for his batting as his bowling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in terms of the bowling for Tasmania, their leading wicket taker this year was a bit of a surprise to me. Nikil Chowdury eight wickets. He's got the most for them, just ahead of Billy stan Lake and Mitchel and on seven apiece. But Chowdery we see him bowl maybe over here and then over there in the Big Bash, but he's turned out to be an effective we could taker for them in this for.
Speaker 3: The Big Bash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe a bit.
Speaker 2: More, well obviously a bit more and fifty over cricket, but definitely a bit more. I'm sure if he played for a team that didn't have the bowling depth that Hobart has, he'd probably I'm not saying he's bowl for every game, but he definitely bowl more than what he does, so very handy, very handy option. I mean as a cricketer in general, I think he's improved out of side in the last couple of years. But yeah, to be leading the wicket takers in a one day comp just shows his growth. So again there'll be more on the horizon for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And of course ten Vier saying as we touched on, he's got eighteen wickets. It's the most in the competition, just ahead of Mitch Swebson who's got fifteen. Took that incredible seven for twenty eight a couple of weeks ago, which is the third or fourth best figures in the competition's history. So leg spin is doing well.
Speaker 2: So he's got eighteen wickets for the year in six games, pretty good going. And for ten Va he had a pretty tough Big Bash in terms of wickets for a leg spinner spent some time out of the Thunder team and for a young guy that would bat your confidence around a little bit, so for him to then come back out of that and pre big Bash in a different form, to just be taking wickets like that and leading his team along with Curtis Patterson to a final.
Speaker 3: As I said, he's got a big career in his future.
Speaker 2: Once Adam hangs up his boots, if he ever does, from the One Day and T twenty teams ten V will be ready to go. So it's great for him to be yes showing so much form through a fifty overseason.
Speaker 1: There have been a couple of other guys who have made cricket dot com dot Who's unofficial Team of the Tournament who it's worth shouting out as well. I reckon Joel Curtis from Wa four hundred and thirty one runs. He's been opening over there in the West. He's made his maiden one hundred and a couple of other fifties as well, and he's a keeper, so he brings a lot to the table, doesn't he. Joel Curtis just sort of arrived on a domestic scene last season, but this year is really Cashtume made it. That's what his own. When Josh Englis has been out of the team.
Speaker 2: Well that's a key point, isn't it. So that's kind of that role that Josh Philip he filled for a long time and decided that he wanted to be somewhere where he can play every game, and then all of a sudden wa as they have done for the last ten years, just found another guy that can obviously play to the level. So it's amazing when you get an opportunity, consistent opportunity. Josh Englis is always away, so yeah, embarrassment of riches really.
Speaker 1: And speaking of embarrassment of riches, the West always produced fast bowlers. Seems like they got another one in Bryce Jackson with fifteen wickets as well to his name this season. Tall bowler obviously, he runs and looks like he hits the bath hard, yes, every ball. But have you seen much of Bryce and what have you made of him so far?
Speaker 2: Action Jackson? Yeah, I like he's set up great one day numbers to start. I was actually disappointed he didn't get a game in the Big Bash because I thought there would be at some point a role to play. But again, when you talk about the depth of fast bowling and what led to another BBL title, it probably shows that he might have to look for opportunities elsewhere to get an opportunity in the Big Bash. But as we said, it can correlate One day form to T twenty. There's similarities in terms of bowling at the death and power play and that kind of stuff. So to be taking wickets like he has done in fifty other cricket shows that he's got a future in T twenty.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like I like him.
Speaker 2: It's just got you look at him and you go that you know when you see team warming up, if you didn't know who that.
Speaker 3: Guy bowls fast, Yeah, he's a fast bowler.
Speaker 1: So he's got the look.
Speaker 3: He's got the look. Yeah, he's got the pedigree.
Speaker 1: And I'm not sure if anybody nominated Tim Ward as their breakout player for this season, but he has all formats been in fantastic form me. He's among the top round scorers in the Sheffield Shield, he's among the top rubscrews in the One Day Cup with three hundred and five runs and two hundreds, and then he had a couple of really impressive innings for the Hurricanes did and he seems to bat all through the order as well. Sometimes he opens, sometimes he's three or four. Adaptability, very flexible and very productive player this year.
Speaker 2: Again, Jordan Silk's getting a good run here. But he did say at the start of the Big Bash I asked him about him. I think maybe played a game or two and I said, but to tell me about Tim Wooden and he goes, nah, good, like watch him, he'll fly. And I think next game he got that eighty I think it was an eighty nine and a chase or ninety nine chase against the Thunder almost Matt Renshall like in terms of the way he approaches for day cricket. Old Matt Renshaw how it used to be like, you know, grind you out, but then puts the colors on and then all of a sudden, turns into an expansive you know, strikes it over one hundred and one day cricket. So again, I'm not sure the age profile, probably mid twenty, so a lot of growth to go for him, and no doubt a three format kind of guy who's going to switch between and excel at all. So yeah, I don't think anyone mentioned him on the breakouts. I was actually looking at those notes just before, so we all missed that trick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's Silky's getting a lot of love, so.
Speaker 2: Maybe should be a list manager Silks. He's all over the place, isn't.
Speaker 1: He definitely in retrospective At the very least. The Shield final round is coming up round ten. It's down to three teams who can make that final. Victoria already locked in and then we've got South Australia currently sitting in second spot, Queensland there in third. Queensland need Victoria to beat South Australia this week and then queens And they're going to have to take care of Tazzy down at Hobart, so that's not going to be easy. But South Australia at this point in time, they're in the box seat to have a crack at back to back for the first time in their history.
Speaker 3: They are.
Speaker 2: It's going to be interesting because they're playing Victoria at the Junction, which is going to be the final. And will Victoria just put the Q in the rack and say, wow, we don't really care about this week. Give them the opportunity Southustralia to win and come back. But then is that going to or do the Victoria just approach it like another game and it's actually going to be harder for South Stralia to take some points and win. So therefore Queens end's in the box seat against Tazzy who have nothing to play for and what could be an underdone wicked you know, they might win the One Day Cup.
Speaker 3: I'm going through.
Speaker 2: Some hypothetical the celebration if they win a One Day Cup, who cares about that last year game. I'm not saying that, but I'm saying, you know, let's just get through this game, put a green wicket up, let's get through it in two days and be done with it. So's it's going to be interesting to watch.
Speaker 1: If you're Victoria. Do you want to play South Australia or do you want to play Queensland?
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know. I do not know.
Speaker 2: I think, well, say one last year, so I'm not sure you'd want to experience. And again it's not like the old Chield Finals where a draw you just bat them out and take a draw and win. But then Queens are looking at Queensland, there's still so many players in that team that you don't want to play in the final. No guys that had such a Nasa Labashane like Kwaja Kwajah Renshaw like there's there's guys throughout that team that in one game can turn it. So I'm not sure there's I'm not sure they're picking. I think they're just happy to hopefully have both those last games go for the duration and get lots of overs into the bowlers and they're all chasing that win for southtral and coincidence, so they're going to be throwing everything at it. So tune into that last round of Shield cricket. It's going to be fascinating, definitely.
Speaker 1: Of course it's all live and free on the Cricket Australia Live app and cricket dot Com. Today it feels like they're with Victoria. They could rest Bowler and Sutherland and Perry and then they've still got O'Neill and Elliott and Murphy and a few others who McClure who seemed to take wickets, so they've got an embarrassment of riches.
Speaker 2: They do it and again, will will they underprepare a wicket just to get through the game. Not? You know, you don't want to, You don't want to get forty five overs into each each year quicks on the flat one, but then you do want to if it's South Australia making it through the final.
Speaker 3: You do want some toll on their bowlers as well.
Speaker 2: So there's so many mind games to be played out and pitch doctoring and all that stuff. Not saying it happens, but the funn and games is shell cricket. It's a live and well going into last round. What a broadcasts delight. Absolutely all results possible for the top.
Speaker 1: Three definitely and the live ladder in the Shepherd.
Speaker 3: Yeah, following it ladder predictor.
Speaker 1: Definitely the Aussie women. Well, they signed off in fine style in the Alyssa Healy. After two hundred and ninety nine games, she's played her last one. They won the Test match in Perth by ten wickets, which means they won the series over India twelve to four on the points table. There great to see the hero signed off like that. I've saw some stuff on the socials about the great team song rendition and a human pyramid on the outfield of the whack of ground as well. So she's got to be missed, isn't she. I mean we'll hear her in commentary and her thoughts on the games. We'll still be there. But in terms of her personality and her performances. Yeah, Wow, she's going to leave a big hule.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Yeah, generational players. It turned out the way her exports throughout that Golden generation that won so many trophies. She was front centers, you know, opening the batting, being such a key cog of that that kind of that team for so long. As you said, she'll still be around the game and her insights, I think you know on com so I think she's taken to that really well.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that that stuff is what she'll miss. I reckon that that that those stories that you spoke about as after they won that that seriesn't And I think that's what a lot of guys miss when they do retire, is that that you can't really do that in the combox anymore, can you. At the end of a series, you know you've been part of the media.
Speaker 3: You probably haven't.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe after our last podcast this year, have some celebrated.
Speaker 2: Okay, get out in the outfield and take our shoes off and maybe, but yeah, it's not just different.
Speaker 3: It's different, isn't it.
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: But yeah, what a career.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have the words to sum up what she did, but yeah, she's going to leave a massive gap. And it's funny how cricket moves on. They're off on a tour pretty shortly on to the Caribbean and someone else gets an opportunity to take her spot and make a career of their own.
Speaker 3: But yeah, amazing career a Lissa.
Speaker 1: And they've got already made keep her replacement in Beth Mooney who's already taken the gloves and started that transition. So yeah, cricket moves on very quickly, doesn't it. Annabel Sutherlan got her fourth Test century in this match as well her starts at the Whacker ground in tests. I'm not sure if you saw them, but she's averaging one hundred and sixty nine with the bat and eight point seven with the ball.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 1: I mean, you want to play every game there?
Speaker 3: That's probably first pick.
Speaker 1: This is a breakout player?
Speaker 2: Perhaps, Well should I check the notes?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I well, I was going to mention one name, Lucy Hamilton. Oh yeah, deb what she takes six for sixty three.
Speaker 3: Over the game.
Speaker 2: Fantastic And I thought you had as a breakout but you didn't. It was Jack, Louis and Laura.
Speaker 1: Did they all? They all did so they saw it coming.
Speaker 2: It comes that time of the year, the report cards coming out for those would probably have to go through them in next week, I think so. But there's one that they all got right and big tick for l massive tick and what a place to debut as well for tat cricket to debut there and do as well as she did at nineteen years old, like.
Speaker 1: No sign of nerves at all when out there, looked like a professional, like as if you'd been playing at the top level for ten years.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very few loose balls from what I saw on the money got it to swing, Like how good is It's everything you want?
Speaker 3: That's everything you want, isn't it.
Speaker 2: So you talk about cricket moving on, all of a sudden, you've got a nineteen year old who looks like who's going to be there for the next fifteen years. So again that's the product of Australian cricket pathways in both male and female that hopefully there's always just someone pushing through, isn't there to you know when these greats of the game, and the same with the men, we're going to be under that pressure at some point where our list is better half, you know that kind of thing. When they move on, they leave the big hole, but hopefully there's people pushing through that are ready to take it.
Speaker 1: And in terms of Lucy Hamilton, well, last year's Under nineteen World Cup, she's batting top order, so it's not as if she's just the bowler. She's genuine all around her and we'll see her slowly move up that order as well.
Speaker 2: I reckon, it's kind of like at least Perry started that way did she was more of a bowler and then I mean look at the exploits she's turned out Sutherlands the other one. So it's a pretty good there's a pretty good little lineage there of how careers start. And I mean Steve Smith's another one in the Males that started as a leggie and then all of a sudden it's the best, that's second best bats move produced arguably. So yeah, watch this space with their batting shout out to the dawn. Is that what I was talking about?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: And now Australia move on to yea, the West Indies, as you touched on, they won't play a Test match there anymore, which was originally scheduled, but that's been scrapped. They are going to play three oudios and three T twenties that'll be quickly followed by the T twenty War Cup in England. Unlessa herely said Australia might be sneaking under the radar at that T twenty World Cup, I think that's maybe asking a little bit too much. This is the US training women's team after all, even though the T twenty format is looking like their weakest format, and I say weakest in a very relative sense because there's still a strong team, but they do have a few question marks to answer in that side, so it will be a fascinating little build up towards that big tournament for them.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, but I think that's great lead in going to the Caribbean so quickly after this home series and as we said, giving opportunity now to the next group coming through and T twenties again, anything can happen in the World Cup. So you say it's not probably not their strongest format, but anytime a team has had experience winning well, especially fifty other World Cups that they've dominated for so long, there's proven match when it's throughout that are still there, so they'll be right in the running again. But also I'm predicting that, and we've shown we're not always the best at predicting World Cup winners? Are we all semi finalists or finalists? So maybe the less we say about that.
Speaker 1: The better I think so. Yeah, But people who know a lot about the women's game of Runner Hussein and Molly Strano, they're on the Scoop podcast now if you want to go over there and check them out. They've got Amanda Jade Wellington as their special guest this week, the leading we could take here in the women's National Cricket League and she's always a good listener as well, so jump over there, give it a subscribe, listen to the Scoop podcast. And well there's a big Pokemon fan as well, which is celebrating its thirtieth anniversary this year, Richo, are you into that or your kids into the Pokemon?
Speaker 2: My son was for a bit, but I've got him a lot of Pokemon cards and a little folder.
Speaker 3: But he's for some race. He's gone off it, so I might have to get myself back.
Speaker 1: In celebrate thirty years the Tea twenty World Cup final, Richo, we should touch on of course, that was happening India, big victory over New Zealand almost by one hundred runs. They piled on two hundred and fifty five in front of eighty six thousand adoring fans at the range FROMODI Stadium.
Speaker 2: Is that right? Is that in the numbers?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The final official figure is eighty six.
Speaker 3: So not a sellout. What's capacity.
Speaker 1: I did have a little bit of feedback after last week's sow which I'm happy to address, and I think the numbers sort of back up my theory there that there are one hundred and twenty thousand in the stadium when Australia won there in twenty twenty three, ninety two thousand, right, people were there and there was not a spare seat in the house. I did a bit of a wander during that match and even the aisles were full of people. So there's nowhere to sit. I mean that's great. You want seem to be full. In terms of spare seats, there were not so ninety two on that occasion, eighty six when they defeated New Zealand just a couple of nights ago.
Speaker 3: So they conquered their demons, didn't they.
Speaker 1: They certainly certainly did.
Speaker 2: We spoke about it last week and said, they've you know, the twenty three World Cup final, but also the game this during this World Cup that they lost, so that maybe there were some nerves going back, but obviously not. They packed on Turner in fifty five or Turner fifty six. As you said, batting first in a T twenty World Cup finals is a pretty good position to be in, especially when you've got Boomera in your team. So it's basically sixteen over game for the opposition. In their reply, so we say that we're mentioning in it now. Neither of us picked them to make the final, but I mean it's no surprises is that that? Now when you actually sit back and look at their team in their own conditions, they win the game. I said the last few weeks that toss would come into it, but it didn't. They did it batting first. They did it in the semi as well, didn't they batting first? So when you're packing on runs.
Speaker 1: Like that, I don't believe.
Speaker 2: All, yeah, it doesn't matter, So well done, India. Worthy winners.
Speaker 1: Abashik Sham fifty two off twenty one. He'll be partnering with Travis Head again during the IPL. The everyone was fun to watch Isham Kishan fifty four off twenty six. I mean a breakout tournament for him as well. And Sandrew Sampson, who was your weekly winner last week, finishes the tournament with ninety seven not out to beat the West in these, eighty nine to beat England in the semi final, and then eighty nine again in the final. I mean, talk about a big game play. We'll touch on those in just a second. But he has come to the four when the pressure is at its highest. Yeah, mister Samson step up.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 2: He was under some pressure as well through the early stages, so what a turnaround. Then you kind of write your name up in Indian cricket folklore with that, So yeah, incredible to put three knocks together in a row of that statue. It's pretty hard to do in fifty over cricket, let alone ten twenties. So yeah, and he'll be spoken about forever. Is that that kind of got a shining light leading him to that World Cup. So I actually had some experience with him when he was a young kid at just on early days and such a mild, mild down to earth kid like I doubt this would even go to his head. So he probably head back to his town. He's like from the country, so just a really nice young kid. Boy he's older now, that was like ten years ago. But it's always nice to see the ones who when the kids in India under the big shining lights, the ones who don't get overawed by the by the occasion and get carried away with little things. And that probably shows him in his performances when it mattered in a semi final and final and what was a must win last game.
Speaker 1: As well effectively quarter final.
Speaker 3: Basically they've played.
Speaker 2: Three finals in a row and he's he's led them to wins in each one. Shows that it's not really bothered by the situation and he probably should be including the big game players kind of yeah, station.
Speaker 1: Well, that'll be the big four that's coming up after the break. But before we get to that jasper woman, we do have to touch on him. You said it's reduced to a sixteen over game, and that's because you can't score off him, and he takes wickets four to fourteen or for fifteen, sorry, off his four overs. I think all those wickets were with slower balls, just deceiving.
Speaker 2: Basically all bold I think when they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty much. Yeah, he had revenge record in the deep as well, and I mean where did even start with him? I mean, is he is he unplayable?
Speaker 3: He probably is? He's is he the person is his name?
Speaker 2: Though, I think the thing with him is when it's over a long period of time and everyone knows what's coming when you're facing him, so you know what's coming. It's going to be a York or it's going to be that dipping slowble, but he still can't play it and still the Sampson making the runs. But he's still what the game is going to be decided on. And there's very few times where he's going to go for more than thirty. And even if he does, it's okay, like because the overseat bowls should be going for more than thirty. But he goes for twenty, or he goes for fifteen. He takes four for or it takes three for ten, like it's generational. It's it's almost up there with some of the you know, he's probably arguably one of the greats now of T well T twenty international, but T twenty cricket, but all formats. Now he's starting to become a conversation of across all three formats international level. Is he one of the greatest fast balls ever? And he'd be in the conversation. So maybe that's a Big four for another time. But there's no words that can captulate how good he is and how great he's been.
Speaker 3: For a long time.
Speaker 1: Definitely, I think you've swed that up pretty well. Then let's take a quick break. We'll come back with this week's Big four, where we're looking at the best big game players. Okay, welcome back to the un Playable Podcast Big Game Players. San Ju Sampson. He's the talk of the town at the minute after finishing the World Cup with three half centuries, three arguably match winning half centuries, and it got us thinking, who are the best big game players in cricket past or present? Rich Oh, you're leading us off this week, So who immediately comes to mind when you think of those who step up when the pressure is at its hottest.
Speaker 2: Well, so, when thinking of this, I found it a really hard exercise because the guys I thought of that have done well in say, World Cups, they are every four years, fifty over. World Cups are every four years, so over a space of a career you might get two or three World Cup final. That's if you're lucky enough to make a final, so you might get one opportunity, two opportunities. So on that note, if you've done well in one World Cup final, for me, you're a big.
Speaker 3: Game big tick yep.
Speaker 2: So I've gone back to my childhood and thought, when the Aussi is winning World Cup.
Speaker 3: So Ricky Ponting two.
Speaker 2: Thousand and three World Cup one hundred, one hundred at johannes Berg, I remember watching that game and they polled on high three hundreds against India. I think it was from memory, So Ponting one next World Cup final four years on. Who had the opportunity to be a big game player? Adam Gilchrist?
Speaker 3: What did you make?
Speaker 2: One hundred and whatever? It was chasing? It was setting and then they defended in darkness, didn't they against your Lanka with the squash ball? So and then we go on twenty fifteen James Faulkner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, player with the match in the final, wasn't he he was?
Speaker 2: So again, who had the opportunity in these games to be a big game player? Twenty twenty three we know Travis Head He's also done it in the World Test Championship, final.
Speaker 1: So therefore, yep, that's another one.
Speaker 3: He got a big hundred in a absolutely.
Speaker 2: World Test final, so he's all of a sudden he got two ticks. What else am I missing? That's that's on the international stage. You can go guys in big bash. But I'm thinking international because again they're every year, so maybe I should be thinking of those. But when World Cup finals are every four years, t twenties are every two years, aren't they, So it's a bit more common.
Speaker 1: One and a half of teams.
Speaker 2: So thrown over to you, captain, I found it really hard to think of anyone else I.
Speaker 1: Like those ones. Well, Steve Smith is one who you could mention. I suppose he had the World Test Championship final, he had a World Cup semi final, one hundred in that twenty fifteen to one, and then he hit the winning runs maybe in the finals, so he's probably got to be up there. We had some good feedback on our Instagram question as well for that. Rudra Karthur said Gilchrist because not only for that hundred, but he played in three World Cup finals and he scored fifty plus in all of them, so definitely a big tick for Gilly Shannon says, obviously, Alyssa Healy in the twenty twenty two Eardio World Cup, she hadn't done much for the whole tournament, and then in the semi cracks out one hundred and twenty nine against the West Indies and then one hundred and seventy against England in the finals.
Speaker 3: So that's pretty good. That's pretty good.
Speaker 1: And then Agnes says, Alex Carey has proved himself this Ashes with seven big knocks. Maybe not in terms of the big trophy winning moments, but he's been there when the match has been on. The lining test matches a lot.
Speaker 2: Good point because you could you could say the waiting for an ASHES test is you know, they're pretty pretty pretty high, high pressure environment, so especially if it's a game that like he had a knack, didn't he have? I mean that that was a career defining Ashes for him, but he always seemed to stand up when Australia needed So not you what you think of when you think of a big game, but it is a big game. Every ASHES Test is a big game. Ones that matter, especially the first you know, two or three of every series. So yeah, worthy nomination.
Speaker 1: I also wanted to shout out Shane Watson who in the two thousand and nine Champions Trophy went one hundred hundred in the semi in.
Speaker 3: The final Champions Trophies.
Speaker 1: Now against England New d Well, that's not quite well.
Speaker 3: The Trophy Trophy and the Lions.
Speaker 2: The big game is probably not as big, but it's still a big game.
Speaker 1: I think that's pretty good. Back to back hundreds and then I've gone through the stats as well for a more impartial view on this. Martin Love in the Sheffield Shield holds a record for five hundreds in Shield finals. Wow, that's pretty impressive stuff. Brendan Doggett is the only player in history to have three five wicket hauls in Shield finals.
Speaker 2: So he did one for Queens End when they won and then to last year for US.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and apparently according to some reporting by Will Taylor from Cricket dot com dot or you, he could be fit.
Speaker 3: He's coming back.
Speaker 1: So the final specialist, final specialist, Brenda Doggett, he's coming back. In terms of One Day Cup, well, you probably don't have to go far to guesst. Michael Bevan is of course the one who comes to mind here in One Day Cup finals averages ninety seven with eight fifties from fourteen in so yeah, ha many not out, Yeah, a lot of them a lot. And then in terms of the Big Bash, so I've included all finals here, like the qualifying and the eliminator and all those sorts of things, Sean marsh comes out on top there. From nine finals, he averages eighty five with six fifties.
Speaker 2: So SOS, now you say, it does make sense that they come from teams that always were making finals. You can't really be a big game player if your team finishes eighth or sixth in the Shield. So yeah, that does check out, and those names are worthy of being called big game players under they're not just once off. So again I found it a really hard exercise because there's probably not a guy that stands out like in other sports, you know, best on ground in the Grand Final, such as well, Dustin Martin's the famous one of footy, isn't he that three Norm Smiths? So there's not that that one guy that we think of in cricket. There's a range of guys as we've just spoken about, and I'm sure people listening to this will think of some more so sending them me but yeah, found a founded the tough exercise.
Speaker 1: Send them in to podcasts at cricket dot com dot au or send us in a DM on Instagram if you're so inclined.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we'll read them.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we'll read them and we'll read out the best ones on the show. So rich, I think that does just about does this for this week. Quick shout out absolutely if you got there on your shirt cricket. Okay, what's Hollywood cricket?
Speaker 2: Reyes Topley, Lucky Ferguson, Adam Zamper have put their brains together and their style and they've started a cricket fashion brand.
Speaker 1: Is that the hat that you're wearing a slide the hat as well.
Speaker 2: I've got the full ensemble on. So this is an early mock up.
Speaker 3: This is sample.
Speaker 2: I don't think you'll be able to buy it, but keep an eye on their socials. Holly Hollywood Crickets. It basically taps into the roots of cricket in Los Angeles. Very common for English actors back in their time when they used to come to the States to play cricket, sorry to not play cricket, to film them Hollywood movies. They wanted to play cricket in their spare time. So there's quite a rich history of cricket in LA and now these guys are tapping back into that. So give them a look on socials follow closely. I think there's some some stuff in the.
Speaker 3: Works, all right.
Speaker 1: Maybe are they angling to sponsor the podcast?
Speaker 2: Well maybe maybe, I reckon you would look pretty nice in this and as we said, you might start to unbutton it a bit more as we start to get to the end of the podcasting season.
Speaker 3: But it could be a future future sponsor.
Speaker 2: Why not As we run the credits at the end of the show, who were we addressed by Hollywood cricket?
Speaker 3: It'd be nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for those who are listening and not watching, Richo's in a blue T shirt, not a T shirt, but a button up shirt. Doesn't button all the way either, does it.
Speaker 2: I think it's based off the old World Cup shirts they used to wear in the eighties.
Speaker 1: A pocket top left, and he's got a blue hat which has some sort of like.
Speaker 3: I think there's some must be a native flower of that region.
Speaker 1: It's not Yorkshire related.
Speaker 2: Well, it is a very white rose, isn't it. But maybe that's a similar kind of thing.
Speaker 3: In Looks, California.
Speaker 1: Okay, so something to look out for from reesetop.
Speaker 2: He's toply Lucky Ferguson, Lucky Ferguson, Adam Zamper and some others. But they're they're the cricket centric guys that you would know, so keep an eye out.
Speaker 1: Is there a Kay Richardson involved in this?
Speaker 3: I'm just from you know.
Speaker 2: I'm busy with my media commitments now, so I didn't want to add my finger in too many pies. And as you said, maybe a possible coaching career. That's right, So I don't want too much going on, so I'll just sit. But I thought i'd give him give him a shout out today.
Speaker 1: Very good. All right, we'll catch you next week.
Speaker 2: I'll bring this shirt for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: See then