Speaker 1: Hi Heart Podcasts, heem More Kiss Podcast playlist and listen live on the Free iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Ben Bady.
Speaker 3: Your work, our windows done, that's my world. Rison the dust only good fabs all down. I've done much.
Speaker 4: Now, but yeah, I know I'll.
Speaker 3: Big get and what I want. It don't matter where.
Speaker 4: This is the pickup. Hi guys, welcome back to the Pickup. It's Britt Hockey and Laura Burn and I am.
Speaker 3: Making great progress. Laura with my wedding planning, thrilled what's happened now? It's actually it's actually so funny.
Speaker 2: I feel like I need to start these conversations with how much I love my fiance and I can't wait to marry.
Speaker 3: Him, because I know a lot of the convos I've had.
Speaker 2: Surrounding wedding planning and my fiancee Ben have been around the fact that he hasn't been a great planner.
Speaker 1: This is exactly the type of caveat that mums put out there when they're like, I love my child, but being a parent sucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, but it's so rewarding.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's exactly that conversation.
Speaker 4: So patronizing is your husband.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I am very excited to marry Ben.
Speaker 2: But it's been an interesting journey with the planning that he hasn't been overly involved in, but the things that have excited him have been very interesting. So one of his caveats for the wedding, the very first thing that we ever spoke about over a year ago.
Speaker 3: Was that he really wanted an ice cream cart at the wedding. That was it.
Speaker 2: It wasn't the location, it wasn't inside or outside, it wasn't where what country, It was just can we have an ice cream?
Speaker 1: I remember you sitting down and you were like, hey, honey, what are your man trees for the wedding? And he thought about it really, like really seriously. He took the question absolutely to heart. And then he stopped down and he said, I just think we need to have sorbet, Like, yeah, that's it. And then did you have a moment where you were like, am I marrying a giant child?
Speaker 3: It was sort of where I knew he was actual.
Speaker 2: I was like, he's my penguin anyway, So Amelia, I went planner from Easy Weddings. We're in a group chat just me, Ben and Amelia, and I am the one that's always deep in there doing everything. So I saw some messages flying around last night and I noticed it was about the ice cream. So I checked out a bit. I was like, Oh, this is Ben's wheel his wheelhouse, he's got this cupboard. I checked back in a bit later and Amelia had asked Ben, Ben, the time has come, send through your ice cream picks for the ice Cream Crew top list. Yeah. Anyway, I see Ben sending through something that I see Amelia right back and say, oh, oh sorry, Ben, you need to just rephrase that you're only allowed eight ice creams. I was like, I said, sorry, Amelia, how many ice creams did Ben's pick?
Speaker 4: Sixteen ice creams?
Speaker 3: He wanted sixteen different ice cream.
Speaker 2: Flavors in one tiny cart at our wedding.
Speaker 1: Let the man live, Brittany.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do with soft china? Cont Do you know what the thing was?
Speaker 3: He goes, Babe, how am I going to cut this down? And I was like, okay, well, let's go through this.
Speaker 2: There's five different flavors of caramel, five salted caramel.
Speaker 4: Peanut butter caramel.
Speaker 3: I was like, Babe, let's cut the caramel.
Speaker 1: You're all say, like, then, if I've been able to make every other decision, I'm sure you can cut the ice crew down to five. Now, Britt, I want to talk about something that I feel like most parents have been faced with at one point in another, and.
Speaker 4: That is the poon armi. The poon armi with no tools.
Speaker 1: If you have little kids and you've forgotten a nappy, or you've forgotten wives, or it's been explosive and you've forgotten a change of clothes, everyone has had to deal with something going very wrong and having to come up with a quick and fast and hard solution.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is this one of your kids? They're not in nappies anymore, are they.
Speaker 1: No, I've got a five year old, four year old. It's been a long time since we've dealt with a poon army.
Speaker 4: This is off the back.
Speaker 1: There's a woman who's going viral online because she has shared what seemingly is quite a resourceful solution to a poon army that she experienced.
Speaker 4: However, the whole city is the full.
Speaker 1: Situation sounds like an absolute disaster if you ask me so. They're on an international flight, it is three thirty in the morning, and she has realized that she didn't pack span now for her one and a half year old, This little kid looks.
Speaker 3: Like on an overnight flight.
Speaker 1: On an overnight imagine waking up at three thirty in the morning to a turd and being like, oh God, here we go, here we go, Code brown everyone. So what she did is she didn't have a nappy. She had wipes, but she had panty liners like her own panty liners. So she slid a panty liner into the nappy. I'm guessing to try and absorb as much of the excess fluid and everything else as possible.
Speaker 4: No, which you know what I heard about.
Speaker 1: Like, I read this and I was like, I guess it would kind of work, but I'm left with a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: I feel very sorry for her because I can't imagine. I have not been in that position. But I would imagine on a flight, like an overseas overnight flight, there are a lot of people on there.
Speaker 3: There is guaranteed to be other families with kids.
Speaker 2: I'd be patrolling those aisles until I found like another mum and begging for a nappy.
Speaker 3: That's what I'd be doing.
Speaker 1: You know what that is that is spoken like a true dog mum who's gotten to the dog park and didn't have a bag. That is a true dog mum response, because I didn't even clock that one.
Speaker 3: I would That seems like the most obvious solution.
Speaker 4: Do you know why?
Speaker 1: Because I think if you went and asked someone else for a nappy, the judgment of like, why didn't you pack enough nappies? Like I just wouldn't even think to ask someone for a nappy.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't you just say, hey, they've pood wait more than I would have thought. That's also what dog people say, so when like your dog is poody, you've run out of back like sorry that they usually do one, they've done like.
Speaker 4: Four, But realistically you just left with one rogue bag. And I was it. I will never forget.
Speaker 1: I was on a flight and it was it was an international flight, but it was a day flight.
Speaker 4: We're going to Balley and you know that's a six hour flight.
Speaker 1: And the family that was sitting directly in front of me had a little baby, and I also had my kids with me, so like we were surrounded by kids and their little daughter. I think she must have been about maybe two, so that's not like baby baby, like two is that's that is full blown toddler territory, and everyone could smell that someone had pooed their pants, like it was very evident in the whole of that area of the seating, and so everyone was kind of quietly being like, oh, who is And I sniffed both my kids and I was like, my kids, it's not me, it's the you know, I'm not responsible for this anyway. Ten minutes later, the family in front, she just lays the little girl down on the seat and uses the seat that's right next to her as the change table to change the nappy, like starts fully changing the nappy in the middle of her.
Speaker 3: Is that like a no, go? I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, you have to take them to the toilet and use their fold out change it. I think it's okay to change a nappy in lots of places, like I'm a change nappy on the go kind of goal, but absolutely not in a packed flight where every single other person has to sit there and smell your kid like that's to me that was writ.
Speaker 3: Them down on someone's lap.
Speaker 1: Nah. No, absolutely not anyway, so much so that the air flight hostess came over and she was like, I'm really sorry, but you cannot do that there you have to go to the toilet, like, yeah, that's fair, She looked horrified.
Speaker 2: Also, the walk of shame, like when you've got to then stand up with a stinky baby and everyone's like, oh, you're already because you're like you've already stunk out the cabin, and then you got to walk a shame like the next pits.
Speaker 4: The smell's got nowhere to go. It's got nowhere to go.
Speaker 3: We heard packing nappies and go to the toilet.
Speaker 4: I do feel sorry for it, because, like I said, I've been.
Speaker 1: Caught out before, and you really have to get resourceful, like you really have to think about like what is it that I can use? Do you water it down there with some toilet paper? Like what do you do to try and save your kid from a from a nappyless punami situation?
Speaker 2: For give me for taking this side step, but this is where my brain has gone.
Speaker 3: When you just said being resourceful.
Speaker 2: I do remember a time that you did a poop, So what yeah you, Laura, you did a poop and you Oh.
Speaker 1: This is really taking a side step, and I don't know if you need to talk about this on radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you already spoke about it on radio. You've just reminded me. You already forget that. You outed yourself.
Speaker 2: You did a poop and you there was any toilet paper, so you went into your handbag and you found one of the girl's socks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was That was a low point in my life. That was a low point.
Speaker 3: About talking about being resourceful. You've got to do what you've gotta do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when when you're on the go.
Speaker 2: I was reading this Reddit thread Laura. That gave me a bit of a chuckle, and it reminded me of a couple of things I've done.
Speaker 3: In the past and something that I've heard you throw around a little bit.
Speaker 4: Okah, what have I done?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Well, this could go.
Speaker 2: Either way, but this woman was talking about this awkward encounter she had with her boss and the way she signed off a phone call.
Speaker 3: So this is her thread.
Speaker 2: I accidentally said I love you at the end of a call with an important client yesterday. I heard him giggle as I hung up, and I was absolutely mortified. Today I received an email from him. Now, imagine the fact that you've had this awkward moment you said I love you to someone. You absolutely shouldn't and then you see an email pop up you're like.
Speaker 1: Don't do you not just like hit that one on the head and be like, sorry, that was I don't actually love you?
Speaker 4: Is that I don't love you?
Speaker 3: Actually don't have feelings for you? Like, no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's better that you don't try to pretend it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is the email.
Speaker 2: Hey, Sarah, just wanted to say that I didn't mean to laugh at you when you accidentally signed off on our call with I love you.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 1: He was just worried about getting in trouble from HH. He's like, oh God, here we go. Now someone's gonna complain.
Speaker 2: I just found it funny because I've definitely done that before, and I know it happens. I'm glad you have enough love in your life that the response comes naturally.
Speaker 3: If anything, you should be proud of that smiley face.
Speaker 2: Have a great weekend, and we'll follow up about my call with Chris on Wednesday as discussed, no I love you sign off. Would you want that response or would you want just like to pretend it didn't happen.
Speaker 1: I've done some doozies. Actually, just the other day, our radio boss Tony walked into the office. We're having a chat, and then I caught him honey by accident, and we just steamrolled like it wasn't even a thing.
Speaker 4: He didn't even notice. Thanks honey.
Speaker 3: Oh he noticed.
Speaker 4: He looked at me and winked.
Speaker 1: Ill.
Speaker 2: I was I must have been in that moment. I was in the room, and I did just be really uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I'm a words of affirmation kind of person, like I'm an endearing term.
Speaker 4: Everyone's honey or darling or something.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I did it didn't mean to it was not intentional.
Speaker 2: Also, no offense, Tony. If you're listening, Tony doesn't give honey. He's not a honey.
Speaker 1: He's gonna hate that, poor Tony. Tony could be a honey to someone you're not.
Speaker 2: You do you know what I'm really guilty of and I probably have to work on it. I throw kisses around day, mean nothing, like they don't though what they do to me. But whoever I'm emailing, it doesn't matter whether it's like the finance guy or the boss or it's it's a client.
Speaker 3: I just throwing kisses and I'm like, I don't know if you can do that.
Speaker 1: I have one other example. There's many of them, but this one just lives rent free in my mind. So, like, I run another business where I was talking to a client of mine and she had wanted to get a piece of jewelry made specifically for her mom for Mother's Day. It was a custom piece, and like, I'd not been on comms at all. My sister, who's my business partner, had been managing it. And I just chimed in because I was like, Hi, so lovely, he's so excited, And I signed off with have a lovely Mother's Day with your bum scent. Oh my god, I have a great time with your bum anyway.
Speaker 2: So she wrote that obviously she could between the lines, but that's a typo.
Speaker 3: It does rhyme with mum and these two letters that they shares the word.
Speaker 1: I know, but really sometimes the autocorrect does you dirty, because there's not it's not an incorrect spelling. But you would think that AI would be intelligent enough by now that it would go you've said mother's day, you probably don't.
Speaker 4: Want to refer to your butt.
Speaker 1: So no, because a lot of it's going to guess that this is a mum, or like what are you doing on your mother's Everyone needs to enjoy themselves in different ways, don't they?
Speaker 2: But play on Monday? All right, Hey, the lines are going off. We've got Sarah on the phone. Hey Sarah, what.
Speaker 3: Did you accidentally do to your boss?
Speaker 5: As I was leaving, I blew her a kiss?
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so it's a female. We've got that, and so you.
Speaker 6: Want some contact, Yes, we do.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 5: I'm a disability support worker and it's not unusual for when I leave for my client to blow me a kiss, but this particular day she didn't, and I it wasn't her though. I walked outside of her bedroom and her parents were there, and I blew them kisses as I.
Speaker 2: Like, man, you're just giving these kisses out left arn Zetnah, who does it?
Speaker 3: I'd be offended if I didn't get a kiss. Yeah, bless you. I feel like you can get away with it. Do you say anything alfterwards?
Speaker 4: Did you just leave it? Just walk away?
Speaker 5: I didn't say anything to them. I just walked out the door and I got out there and I just died, and I thought, Oh, there's no way that they haven't just turned to each other and gone, what the hell?
Speaker 2: Just happened.
Speaker 3: Oh you're just a loving, caring person. Good on you.
Speaker 4: Thanks, thank you.
Speaker 3: Hey, Kasha, what did you accidentally say to your boss?
Speaker 6: I accidentally sent my boss a message saying she's being an absolute sea bomb today, accidentally sin that.
Speaker 3: I feel like this pretty well thought out.
Speaker 6: I was sending it to one of the girls that wasn't at work, and.
Speaker 1: No, did she have her emails forward it? Or did you actually just see ce in your boss?
Speaker 5: Just so?
Speaker 4: Can you get the memo?
Speaker 6: It was a text message, so I sent it straight to her.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh my god, you were doing the old like when you're thinking of someone so you go and text typing that message instead?
Speaker 3: Oh did she write back? Are you fired?
Speaker 6: She pulled me into her office and yeah. I try to tell her that it was an accident and though it was actually aimed towards a friend called Tracy, but she was on me. She wasn't impressed at all.
Speaker 3: So, oh my god, Oh, thank you so much. I'm glad you're still there.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thanks Casha.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, Britt, how do you feel about small talk in general? Small talk makes me feel uncomfortable because I always wonder where am I going to take it?
Speaker 4: And then I feel like I'm on the spot.
Speaker 2: I could small talk my way out of anything. I don't love it, I don't get anything from it. I'd rather avoid it, but it doesn't make me uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: The problem is this, Sometimes I think that I become the interviewer in a small talk situation where I always I just keep asking questions, asking questions, asking questions, and then eventually I run out of questions to ask and waiting for the conversation to.
Speaker 4: Circle back around. But it doesn't.
Speaker 1: So I try and avoid it because and when I say avoid it, you can never avoid small talk. I try and avoid situations that put me into making small talk because I find it uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I.
Speaker 3: Mean no one loves it, no one. There is no one that's like, oh, can't wait to go small talk tonight.
Speaker 2: Like, but some people maybe don't really know how to avoid it or how to like escalate it to a medium talk or Yeah.
Speaker 1: But also some people are like super extroverted and so like they don't even quote unquote, making small talk doesn't touch the sides for them.
Speaker 4: I think I'm a hybrid.
Speaker 1: I definitely would call myself an extrovert in some things. But when it's new people and new environments, I'm quite happy to take the back seat if someone else is wanting to step into that.
Speaker 2: I've never seen you take the back seat anywhere anywhere.
Speaker 1: It's not what it is, no, But I don't enjoy it at all. Like I do really feel like it is a task to make small talk and to keep the conversation going. But sometimes I feel as though I have to. And sometimes I also maybe this is in my own insecurities. I think as though it's almost expected because we work in a role where we talk all the time, so people are like, oh, well, Laura can do this, and so I feel as though I walk into some of those environments where it's like new people or it's a work thing, and I'm like, I'm on and I'm singing and dancing, and I go home and a crash because I'm so overstimulated by having to like put on a show.
Speaker 4: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well. The reason why I want to bring this up is because firstly, I think a lot of people like struggle to get conversations out of the small talk conversation purgatory and into something that feels a little bit more meaty or it feels like it's a back and forth. But there is a guy named Charles Jewick. Now he's a Politzer Prisman. He's also coined a super communicator. We recently interviewed him on our podcast Life on Cut podcast.
Speaker 4: He's brilliant. If you want to communicator, if you want to learn a little bit.
Speaker 1: About communicating, that is the episode to go and listen to. But I actually found an article that he has been quoted in and it was talking about how to get deeper on a first date. Now I found this so funny because some of these questions, they've called them magical questions, magical questions that take small talk to deep talk.
Speaker 4: If someone asked me.
Speaker 1: These questions on a first date, I think I'd have to up and leave.
Speaker 2: So this article isn't just about generally taking chat to.
Speaker 3: The next level, you know what dates only.
Speaker 4: It doesn't just have to be first dates.
Speaker 3: But is that where he is saying it's first dates only?
Speaker 1: It was about how to connect on a deeper level. But it was with people that you would be making small talk with. Right, So imagine going to a work party, you're making small talk, first date small talk. You're just in the getting to know each other phase and then someone throws out one of these questions. I'm going to ask you what a coin to the five Magical questions, and you can answer them as honestly or you can tell me where to go.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Question number one, what are you excited it about right now?
Speaker 3: My wedding?
Speaker 4: That's actually a good one because someone could get into more debt. What about your wedding?
Speaker 3: I'm actually I'm not getting married for On my first date, I was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Number two, if you could wake up tomorrow having gained any one quality or.
Speaker 4: Ability, what would it be to be able to fly?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 1: Okay, but that doesn't feel particularly deep.
Speaker 4: He's take my answers.
Speaker 3: Don't ask me a question, then tell me my answer is wrong.
Speaker 4: What is it about flying? Okay?
Speaker 1: Number three, imagine someone who you don't know asking you this, when's the last time you cried in front of another person?
Speaker 3: I think that's a good question.
Speaker 2: I mean I cry all the time on the podcast in front of loads of people, like all the interviews that we do.
Speaker 3: You and I cry in front of each other all the time.
Speaker 4: Are you true? This is true? We do, But I mean like a real cry, like a oh my dog.
Speaker 3: I cry a lot in front of my dog, and then I say, don't.
Speaker 1: Tell anyone, Okay, I won't critique your answer. Question number four, do you have a secret hunch about where or how.
Speaker 4: You will die? Can we just stop down?
Speaker 1: This could be someone at a work party asking you these, and these feel deeply inappropriate.
Speaker 3: All the questions until now are fine.
Speaker 2: Asking someone about their like impending death is not okay when you don't even know that.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, this one's gonna really send you into out of space. How do you feel about your relationship with your mother?
Speaker 3: I love my mom. I have no trauma.
Speaker 4: Imagine I asked it though.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you did have trauma and some person who's read a super communicator's book who barely knows you and wants to take small talk to meetium talk, ask you out of nowhere about your relationship with your mum. Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I think that small talk that has a purpose at a place.
Speaker 2: No, I think you can definitely look, I'm not a polite surprise winner Charles.
Speaker 1: Sorry, but I do love Charles as well, because just not criticizing him.
Speaker 2: But I feel like I'm good at this. I am the interviewer in every relationship I've got. When I went into the I'm Slebrity Jungle, no one even knew my name, but I asked everyone every single thing about them.
Speaker 3: I genuinely love it. I think the key to it is all you have to.
Speaker 2: Do is find common ground. So you need to find a common interest with someone. Then the second you have that, they're going to feel more comfortable, and then you ask questions about it.
Speaker 4: But not that.
Speaker 2: You just have to ask what is it about that that makes you excited?
Speaker 3: Or why?
Speaker 2: What is it about that that made you want to go into that industry? Or do you think you'll be in that industry forever? And if not, what would you do instead? There are so many questions that aren't like, hey, do you have some trauma bond with your mum?
Speaker 3: Like that's crazy to me to ask on a first diate or something to me.
Speaker 1: There are some things, yes, I mean everyone's heard the whole, like ask an open question that doesn't have a yes no answer, Like that's kind of like one oh one of interviewing. But there are some things, regardless of how magical a question might be, you should not ask if you don't know someone well enough, there's a level there's a level of depth that we just don't need with everyone because also no one cares.
Speaker 3: You don't care about if you're a stranger at a work party. You don't care what Sally's mom's doing.