Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week a night. Welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris, and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors, and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that you were currently watching and gives you a better insight at our television industry and streaming services today. On the podcast, I have Leyla Sabritski back so soon after she's come out of the Big Brother House. Obviously we only spoke a few weeks ago, but I didn't want to miss having a chat post show as there was plenty of stuff we could cover last time. As I mentioned the other day, I have had COVID and so I am a little late with this chat. This will be the last catch up chat and I am back with this week's eliminated housemate on Monday. Butocus on Layla for now. Layla does open up about her experience. She shed some more light on the differences of Big Brother these days. We discuss why oats Ala Layla wasn't shown this time around, and I ask her if she's done with reality television or if she's interested in a little bit more time on the box. I for one, think she's great television and I'd love to see some more of her, and I think a lot of Australians are in the same boat. However, let's get started with our guest. I'd like to welcome the og Lailah Sabritski back to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's had its stay, you know, maybe we could put oat Sala Laila down in the ground.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 3: It's my twenty first birthday.
Speaker 2: I always said I'd never want to be one, and.
Speaker 3: I've invited housemates both new and legendary.
Speaker 2: I knew as soon as he hooked me in the viction room I am so intuitive and I can felt it.
Speaker 3: Will experience be enough to take on the next generation of housemaids.
Speaker 2: Babe, you're scared of free fall in what you're doing and the.
Speaker 3: New contenders out with Big Brother Royalty.
Speaker 2: I just remember saying to her, look if my last rodeo this is.
Speaker 1: Big Brother High Laylor, welcome back to TV Reload.
Speaker 2: Hi, Ben, thanks for having me back on the show.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on your second experience inside the Big Brother House. It has now come to an end. And I have to say, I've never felt more stressed watching someone I know on television, and I think it is because I'm just so super protective of you.
Speaker 2: Well, you're probably you couldn't get more stressed than I was. Now. It was it was okay, It was okay, But I know that you are protective of me, and I think that contributes to why you were so stressed as well, watching it all unfold like that's coming out.
Speaker 1: And the thing was that it wasn't as bad as what I kind of thought it might be, you know. And I guess the question that I need to ask you now is are you relieved that it's over?
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, yes I am. It was just so far away from what my Big Brother time was in twenty twelve that it just yeah, it was just too different for me and it was too hot to navigate. So I've got so many incredible people in my life here at home, and I just wholesome, nice, genuine people, and I found it really hard to navigate all of the sneakiness.
Speaker 1: There is a lot of sneakiness, so it is really hard. But I will say one of the biggest wasted opportunities I've ever seen on television is not seeing all the housemates seeing oats Alaalila. I heard that JC he did a rap version, so I guess that was kind of something I was expecting. But then I also heard from Dave who said online that everyone was singing it all the time. Why do you think that that song got dropped?
Speaker 2: I don't know why it wasn't shown. Maybe it's just had its day. They used it in the promo a few times to remind people who I was. Maybe it's had its day, you know. Maybe we could puts down in the ground where of the Big Brother warehouse.
Speaker 1: In the warehouse of Big Brother, crap. I can think of a few housemates that also belong down Mayor. You kind of arrived a couple of days late. I mean you were downstairs in the sewer, so you know, you eventually came into the house. Was it hard to negotiate friendships and you know, make alliances and draw up some contracts, you know, in the terms of Big Brother? Now, was it too hard to do that by the time you turned up as an intruder, I think so, I.
Speaker 2: Think it was the girls wanted to get rid of me. The guys just wanted to get rid of Drew. Was it was already setting stone. The best thing for Drew though, was that he created this relationship with Sam, and it was good because some obviously saw Drew come in with me, already fancied him, she already knew him. So I don't know, it was really hard to push past that because I'm a new housemate, easy target. We all know what it's like with intruders, and I always said I'd never want to be one, and I didn't realize it was one.
Speaker 1: So they didn't tell you. So you know, you're in lockdown and you're meeting the producers and they are gearing you up to get into the house, and so they neglected to tell you that you were going in as an intruder.
Speaker 2: No, they did say the house, but some housemates are already.
Speaker 1: In, Okay, in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So I did get a heads up, but it's still it's too late. You're already dressed to go in. I didn't have time to say no, no, you know, So it is what it is, and I think there's some people that just can't do it. I suppose if I was a single person as an intruder going in, there's other ways that you'd be able to manipulate the audience. We're like JC coulmould sit on to.
Speaker 1: Worsening, Isn't it true? Though? I Mean in our series, we got two intruders that came in and they straightaway just entered into a relationship with people inside the show, which straightaway gives them like an instant storyline because it's like a boost. I mean, I mean, it didn't really work out for Ava, but it certainly worked out for Sam.
Speaker 2: Definitely. Yeah, And I think that that is the if you are single, you've got that or the story and something to add to the nes. But I mean I thought I was on X on the Beach. I didn't realize realized I was on Big Brother, which was funny. I was like applied for the wrong show. You all of my exes walking in.
Speaker 1: Did you ever think that maybe Sam might be coming in? I mean, you were seeing so many double up of relationships, you know, some prior relationships from outside of the house. Did you ever think that maybe Sam Wallace would turn up on the show?
Speaker 2: Part of me did. But then I obviously know Sam on the outside, and he's just so settled. He's had a baby, you know, he's get going to get married. I just knew that even if it was an option and he maybe got asked, he probably wouldn't do it. You know, he's so settled and he's so happy. I bump into him every now and then and I'm like, he just looks great, he looks so happy. I didn't think it was an option for him really to come in. I didn't. I thought about it. Oh well, what if they just start bringing in all the exes of everyone.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it would have been as good a storyline. I mean, knowing you both as well as I do, you know both of you are just so happy in your lives. Is there much of a storyline to put you both back together again?
Speaker 2: He would have been the most boring reunion. So what did you do? I haven't seen you since last week in Burley getting coffee. It would not be that interesting. You would be better off getting my exes from the UK or something.
Speaker 1: I'm just imagining it now. You'd be like, congratulations on the baby. He would be like, congratulations on getting engaged and you know this, it's not great television.
Speaker 2: This is croup. I would have got even less at a time.
Speaker 1: Was the functionality of the new house, the one that you're in in twenty twenty two, is that very different to the functionality of the house that we had, say, in twenty.
Speaker 2: Twelve, completely different. You were a bit more aware of cameras, you know how we have mirrors everywhere. Just the flow of the daily chores. We had it down pat like we had You'd wake up in the morning, I'd go to the kitchen to make the oats. Josh would be sat next to the wood pizza over making bread. You know, like everyone had a place and a format. This time, it was just all over the show, like people were arguing over this, People argued over this, not listening about rations. It was just so I stepped away because I was like, this is hectic.
Speaker 1: And also I heard that there's like multiple diary rooms, so I'm assuming people are always popping off to different diary rooms all the time.
Speaker 2: So I heard I never really went in the diairy room, But now I'm just kidding. I think it's because I spent so much time in the dairy room in twenty twelve and had some of the best moments in there, just pretty much just talking to a self. I think it wasn't a big brother, wasn't even talking back to me. I'd just be sat there like I do that well at this time. Yeah, it was so different, but I think it just gave everyone the opportunity to because you'd have to talk back on the day's before, so like you'd wear your cloak, you'd have to get changed back to yesterday or to talk about other things, you know, like you'd have to go back into the past. So they'd probably need more dairy rooms to get all the info off everyone because it just seems like there was so much more going on.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess they're just trying to maximize the amount of time that they have you guys as housemates. Yeah, you know, seeing as it is prerecorded, I guess they're just leaning into some of those things that they can do these days, which they probably couldn't have done in the past. But I want to know, is that a major distraction to the whole concept of it, being like, you know, this shut off social experiment much.
Speaker 2: More of a distraction, I think because you're not spending as much time, you know, I said to someone this morning, I sat in my hair rollers for twelve hours just trying to let it dry in the sunshine during the day, so curly hair. You don't even have time to put your scar on. In this format, it's like pom pom pom pom boom. You've got no time to sit there and be like, oh my gosh. You know, you know what, if you've been doing tully for the last few years, you know, get that opportunity to create those lasting conversations because it's just too fast.
Speaker 1: And last night I noticed that there was a couple of moments where some of the housemates were talking about the fact that it felt like they were rewatching or watching live the twenty thirteen series because there was so many twenty thirteen housemates. Do you feel strange that you are interacting with housemates that you've actually only ever seen on television before.
Speaker 2: I'm not really. I didn't feel strange, but I did notice that energy in there. It was like so heavily dominated by twenty thirteen that I just sort of it made it harder to even be more out there again. So not only I was late then I was also everyone a few of them, quite a few of them wanting to get me out. But then also you've got this heavy dominated twenty thirteen scene which was so overpowering that it was just like this whole storyline happening before your eyes. It was pretty much just like I was watching the show, really sat there watching it. And then I remember looking one time because I did see that I got as Tully as an alliance. Really when she came in, I was like, Tully saved me from these crazy carols. But you know, like I was just like, save me, save me, And so I saw her straightway as an alliance, which it was like that. It didn't really get shown much about our conversations and stuff, but I would just like sit there and watch Tully staring over to Drew and some in bed and then excited an eye musk on because sometimes of sleeping my eyes open and I didn't want to scare anyone, so and then I would lift up my I ask just a little bit to catch Tully's eye. She's like, there's death. What's going on here? I'm so confused. This is like so ectic.
Speaker 1: It would have been so strange for Tully. I mean, she's now in this relationship on the outside world. I've actually met her new boyfriend, Daniel, and he is lovely. And it must be strange to go into a show like this where there's been so much scrutiny over your relationship. I mean, drolly Drew and Tully. You know, we've been talking about them for nine years.
Speaker 2: I think even if she knew Drew was in that it would still be hard to know how to deal with it going in there. There's nothing that really could prepare you for those emotions, because you know, while like she still has those connections, it isn't a lof triangle by any means, because that means that two people would want the same person. Tully didn't want that didn't want Drew. She came in and she was super happy with telling everyone how awesome my new partner is. And we were looking at pictures and he wrote her a letter or a card, And I feel like, but you still can't prepare for some of these old triggers coming through being in the Big Brother House with the person that you had the biggest experience with, which was Drew. How do you know what it's going to be like? You can't know. No, I did feel for her because I was like, m, you know, as much as you can always be happy in your relationships, it doesn't mean that it doesn't make it hard to be in that position.
Speaker 1: Who was the most different to how you expected they may be? I mean, was it Tully that sort of surprised you with the relationship you two had compared to what you thought it might have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she completely surprised me. When she first walked in. I had a bond with her because I felt like like she might be my voice. Do you know how you did that for me? She comes in and she's like, no foxgiven she doesn't care. So I felt like, oh, that's awesome. This is exactly what I need in this position to maybe get my place in the house. Because I knew that it wasn't going to happen, because you know, when someone's just so overpowered and I have got really out their personality, I do, But in there it was like I was down here and I just couldn't get past this. I was like every time I'd try and fly up with my little wings and just hit a wall and then I'd be like on the floor again. Do you know? Like it was like just constant and I couldn't break past that barrier. So when I did see Tolly, I was like, oh my gosh, I really wanted it to call him inside me, you know, just someone else to be in my corner, because she'll be like, she'll just call a spade a spade.
Speaker 1: I mean, Tolly can be ruthless, but at the same time, she's fearsfully loyal. You know, I could watch you do that challenge where you jumped in the air and you know, won and got your veto. I could watch that day. I mean it was just so impressive, an amazing television. Can you tell me why that was such a struggle for you to be able to do a challenge like that.
Speaker 2: I when I was younger, I jumped off a bridge into water, like in England. I was in high school, but on the way down I like spawn and was like really felt funny. So I really hurt myself. I had to have like a couple of weeks off school. I had to get cream constant, like I couldn't move. I was in bed for two weeks because my whole body was completely sharp. So it was funny because I put these blocks together, which was hard because they were pretty heavy. It was on a wobbly thing, and I struggled sometimes with hertigo, so I felt like I was swaying like crazy, but really I was not hardly moving. Then I started getting up to the top, and the filing cabinet of my brain pulled out a file from However Long two thousand and whatever it was and said, Babe, you're scared of free falling what you're doing, And then I just froze. I completely forgot that I was going to be scared of jumping off. But I think that those things in life happen. The subconscious just reminds you of little things along your life. And yeah, I struggled to get past it, but you know, I thought, I'm not going to die.
Speaker 1: Just jump I'm not going to die, but if I do hurt myself, I'm going to Sue and the moll Shine for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: To go like that, to remind that there was a harness there. I've got the stitches off.
Speaker 1: You know, the house united when you won that challenge in a way that we really hadn't seen in the show yet.
Speaker 3: Congratulations Leila, your first ever challenge win.
Speaker 1: Do you think that we're really missing those moments of seeing the house come together and celebrate stuff.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I think that was my only time in the house that I felt a unity between everyone. I was so lucky that it was because of my challenge. You know, even some of the housewates that I don't really talk to the like, oh my gosh, I can't wait to watch your challenge, you know, because it did. And that's what happens if you do this things together as a team. Sometimes take away the win take away that it's a game. If you can be united, look what happens. Nice beautiful moments are captured, whereas if it's a constant battle, there's only going to be one winner. And then do the other housemates just want to be happy with the fact that they haven't had those moments because I know sure as how I wouldn't be happy with that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Absolutely, And towards the end of last night's episode, we saw this amazing moment which reminded Australia that you still are this beautiful English girl with a heart of gold. When you sort of move your nomination points around, what was in your mind and why was it important for you to save Johnson?
Speaker 2: I didn't quite one hundred percent know whether of the votes were heavy on me or if it was really close, because I'd tried to work out all day the votes and I'm like running around like a headless chicken trying to count beds and I might have definitely got them. I've definitely got them. And then I didn't one hundred percent no, but I thought Howard counted potentially, potentially I could have maybe sent him home. And then when I saw him in the diving room, I felt really sad for him, and I was like, do you know what, I'm not having a great time anyway. I'm not having a gre like I'm struggling, and I was struggling to find my place in the house, really struggling. But also when I saw his speech, I just I didn't want to be the person if it was going to be on me. I didn't want that to be me, to take it away from him, just in case it was reliant on my vote.
Speaker 1: Well, the backwards catfish really crawled into the room when you tried to plead with Lulu, you know, when you were trying to negotiate with Lulu, I was thinking, yes, Leilah, go oh, that's what you should say, but then her response was no, No, I.
Speaker 2: Really just need Lulu to make sure I'm safe.
Speaker 4: The reason why I want to stay is the first time I did Big Brother, I didn't have never won a competition, was like overlooked because of my weight and you know, not fit. I feel this time I can really show to young women that you can come back and you can do it.
Speaker 2: This is my reason.
Speaker 3: I honestly don't know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: Oh do you know what? I just was like, yep, fired off. It is what it is. There's so many other things I could have said, but I just didn't. I was just like, yeah, whatever, he deserves to be here more than me because he's never done it before. That's what we'll go with. Wink wink. Well, no one deserves to be there more than anyone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a good way to look at it, you know.
Speaker 2: And I think what's happening is it's becoming this common conversation of you've done it before, you don't visit you know, it's the only thing they've got. I think the new is the only thing that they've got to make their points across. You know.
Speaker 1: Also, last night Tim broke his og packed like he put his point on David, nominated David, and then he also said that you were not strategic enough and he didn't really see you in his forward thinking. I don't know if Layla at this point is anything but a vote on my side of the house. He's not as strategic as Johnson's.
Speaker 2: Naughty, but I don't think I'm breaking any promises.
Speaker 1: Was that good strategy for Tim? Like? Is Tim playing the best game? Or is that still really hard for you to watch?
Speaker 2: I knew as soon as he hooked me in the eviction room. He said, I don't know what happened there when he hooked me, and I was like, you're a liar, don't like my face. I knew it. I knew that he'd done something along the way that changed it. Well, it's because of the hawk. I am so intuitive and I felt it. It's like someone was like, there's that energy. Was like, I just felt this, And yeah, he didn't nominate me, but he didn't continue on with what an og and thingy pact was. So as much as he didn't nominate me, I knew there was something that had happened along the way.
Speaker 1: Oh, he definitely has good, good gameplay. I mean, that's why he's still in the show. Yeah, you know. It's also a good point to make, and that is that I've been at parties with you, you know, after Big Brother and in our friendship since, and you have the best ability to relate to people, but also someone's across the room saying something that's maybe not so nice. It always ended up coming to fruition and you were one hundred percent correct. Your ability to be an EmPATH and to relate to people is almost you know, the Layla superpower.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why it was so hard walking into that house. I walked in and there was a thousand things being thrown at me without any words. I was so like, this is hectic. And I've had conversations with like I won't say names, but I'm like, you were you weren't very nice to me when I walked in and there was said and they said I was just so overwhelmed with how beautiful you were. I was like, nap my energy. That's a lie, you know, Like I know what I felt, and it was not that. If you think somebody is that you would approach them, so I you know, like, this is where the conflict was for me in the beginning, because I felt everyone's energy in the room and I was like, oh my gosh, obviously there's something going on here, and I just couldn't shift it because I was like, Rah, couldn't shift it.
Speaker 1: We really didn't get to see much of your relationship with a Stelle. But my favorite moment that I saw between the two of you was almost like a bit of an easter egg to the to the twenty twelve series, because there was this really elaborate challenge where all of you ate all these chilis and all started throwing up, and so we forever had this ongoing no, no, don't eat the chili.
Speaker 2: Do you know after she did it, I made sure she went to the bathroom and vomited. That's a bit of side scoop, but I think it's because I knew what was going to come if she to carry it and continue today, it was going to be such a struggle. Like Trevor really didn't match, like he was fine, but I just saw and I was like, oh, no, not the chili again. I have pts watching it, and.
Speaker 1: Then when it played on television, you know, it was so different to what had happened because it looked really fun. I was spinning a wheel, Everyone's eating a chili, and then you know, it moved on to the next part of the show, where in actual fact, everyone was in the backyard throwing up in the garden and were not in the pool, but like all over the place. It was disgusting.
Speaker 2: I was like, don't do it.
Speaker 1: So it all comes to an end and you've been eliminated. And there was that moment, you know where obviously you get to walk out of the house. I'm not sure if you told me this was someone told me this that Sonya and you had an interaction where you said, oh, this is my last rodeo. What happened in that moment?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Are you able to tell me what was said between you and Sonya.
Speaker 2: I just remember saying to her, look, this is my last rodeo. I came back to just have my last rodeo and to do this one last time. But really I don't think it is my last rodeo. I feel like I'm just getting started with this new version of me that actually I am not going to take any shit. I am not going to take shit from people, and I'm not going to be made to feel intimidated by others, because the chances are like there's a reason behind that, and people will regret it. People will regret to be like, I know that it's happened now, Like people are trying to befriend me, and I'm like, you never forget how people make you feel.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 2: You never forget that. So I feel like this is like the new version of me. I'm like, I ain't taking no shit. I know what needs to be done, and you can do it with still being a nice person to others. You can.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, Laila, I'm so excited. I hope there is more shows for you. I mean, Celebrity Apprentice is coming back. Maybe you could be in Celebrity Apprentice All Stars back to the Future.
Speaker 2: Maybe not and that one, but I was saying I was thinking maybe something more along the lines of, like you know you goggle Box where I got to set on my ass and watch to me.
Speaker 1: You know, Layla. To celebrate twenty one years of Big Brother, I've been asking all the eliminated housemates evicted housemates the top ten questions that Gretel Colleen used to ask back in the day. So are you ready for these questions. Yeah, what did you miss the most inside the Big Brother House?
Speaker 2: Incense sticks?
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say your sister's newborn baby. I mean, not instant, not incense sticks.
Speaker 2: No, but that is actually true. I thought if I was evicted early, I still had the chance to go back to the Gold Coast to be there for my sister's birth of my new nephew. Turns out COVID I couldn't get back anyway, so I was in limbo. Yeah, so that is true, But I didn't want to revisit that because I was so sad at the time because I couldn't get home. So incense sticks, it is.
Speaker 1: Ben okay, So incense sticks it is. Who was your favorite person inside the Big Brother.
Speaker 2: House, Trevor, Trevor, Andrew.
Speaker 1: Who was your least favorite person?
Speaker 2: Well, probably whilst my time was in well I had my time in there. It probably was Sam because I've felt the most blockage with her. With me.
Speaker 1: Who had the most annoying habit to me always fart? Oh my god, he's gonna hate us.
Speaker 2: Billy Gasias that one.
Speaker 1: Who was the funniest person inside the house?
Speaker 2: Actually, Arras, I think, I said Johnson but it Tarras is quite funny. He's like really eclectic.
Speaker 1: Oh, this one's hard. What was your greatest regret now coming out of the house?
Speaker 2: Probably being a bit more savage like everyone else. I should have been more savage and a bit more you know, confident in my place in the house.
Speaker 1: And who would be out next? Like, who did you think would follow you after your elimination?
Speaker 4: Lulu?
Speaker 1: Who do you think is going to win Big Brother twenty twenty two?
Speaker 2: I feel like Johnson's gonna win just because he's such game and you know he yeah, he's playing the game really well.
Speaker 1: What is something from bed I'm the scenes of Big Brother from your experience? I did ask you this the other week when you're on the show, so it seems a little strange to ask you again. But what is something from behind the scenes that we did not see that we won't see from your time inside the Big Brother House.
Speaker 2: We made up a game in the sewers called do you know what I mean? Peaches and beans, and we used to it's like lawn bowls. We'd roll the tins peaches and beans to try and get it to the closest to the object. Oh, it was so much fond, so much fun.
Speaker 1: Well, your time has come to an end, Lailer, and it was so fantastic to see you back on the show. I have to let you go as you have one thousand media interviews to do today, but I thought you were fantastic and I look forward to seeing you back on Big Brother in another ten years.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Love you,