Speaker 1: This is Flex and Frooms Flex.
Speaker 2: And Frooms Podcast Edition Daily might I add.
Speaker 3: Doesn't get better than this. I just want to add a disclaimer right up the top. If you're listening to this, if you're listening to us for the first time, I just want to say, I'm Frooms, I'm Flex and Today's episode was a trying time for me. Why is that because Aliens? I attempted to tell a story about a woman with the last name Stoner?
Speaker 2: Is that giving Away attempted to debunk Aliens and failed miserably because it felt like you read that story for the first time, like you googled an article, picked anything, took a week, screenshot and just went with it. It was as a surprise to you as it was to us.
Speaker 3: The point of the story is, never try to relate to your co host speaking Elaine, talk about farts, go home, don't ever try and get better. No, we talked about aliens. Flex and I had a little bit of a sparring about whether or not aliens. Have we ever sparred? I feel like we spa every day. I'm just a defensive, negative person. No, you're not. That's what I wanted you to say. It was a set up anyway, stay right there. I really.
Speaker 2: Keeps doing this thing when she says stick around, but like sixteen times per episode.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like it's just started this week. I wasn't doing it before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then there were breaks between it.
Speaker 3: We need to have a little list that we put on the backscreens. Yeah, we all have our crutches. We have heaps of crutches. For a while there, you were saying, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here's the thing, one thing about me. Yeah, and then you got to you got to pick it up. This was on picks it up for you. No, I want you to pick it up next time. None of this, learn it yourself. Let's go flex and frooms. I was scrolling on Reddit and there was this post made a day ago says, what's a modern day scam that's become normalized and we don't realize it to scam anymore. I'm thank you. Okay, this has got good engagement fifty three thousand up votes. Let's get into it. First thing off top, what comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Are tipping tipping green?
Speaker 2: Missy says, no, you get paid a living wage, just labor for free. Mine is paying for water. Oh, like, why I gotta do that. I get the labor of like getting the water, putting it in the bottle.
Speaker 3: We should definitely be paying for that getting.
Speaker 2: It to the supermarket or the petrol station. But the fact that we just don't have bubblers everye hundred meters it ain't right for him.
Speaker 3: No, and my last.
Speaker 2: Place and this place i'm living in now, something about the pipes means the water is so bad. I'm just living on bottled water.
Speaker 3: Oh, the water tastes bad. The water tastes bad. You're in it like a cosmopolitan area. The rooms not cheap exactly. I'm like, something's off.
Speaker 2: And I thought it was just me being particular or a picky, but every time I have people over, I'm like, taste this water, like, yeah, no, it's gross.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's like there's something in the tank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could be a ton of things. It's disgusting.
Speaker 3: Though. What else does a scam? Oh, a scam is having to pay for sauce in McDonald's. Why was it a scam? Because why should I be paying for sauce?
Speaker 2: Why should be paying for the burgers?
Speaker 3: Oh? Give me some of them all, Okay.
Speaker 2: Not being able to cancel a subscription online. Yeah, this one hit home.
Speaker 3: New York Times blacklisted the fact.
Speaker 2: That everything is a sneaky small monthly subscription. I thought about this because when I was trying to buy a house, I had to look at my transactions to figure out how much money I was spending, what was going in was coming out, and I was like, I don't know what I said money on, maybe like food, petrol, clothes, all these tiny transactions, these mobile games that I've downloaded, it that I've paid for, or that take a subscription Netflix, Hey, you san all of these things small, small, small, small payments, and before you know it, that's like three hundred dollars gone for things that I feel like I'm not actively using enough to justify it.
Speaker 3: Adobe realize the other day seventy six dollars a month, haven't opened that fine in six months? What am I doing?
Speaker 2: Buying tech devices for premium prices and still having to pay subscriptions to make them actually do what they're supposed to do? Me and my Kindle. I bought a kindle that's like a thing where you can read, like a tablet where you read digital books. So I bought that for two hundred and something dollars maybe it's meant to have Wi Fi. I was like, this is great, Like what we do with this? I get the Kindle? You got to buy all the books?
Speaker 3: I said.
Speaker 2: Then I got Kindle Unlimited, which is essentially a library. I pay twelve dollars a month for it, and that means I can borrow unlimited books. But is it unlimited when I'm paying for it?
Speaker 1: So this is what the Kindle was for?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: I thought the books would be inex anyway to fee? What about transaction fees when using online banking?
Speaker 3: Discussing shut it off neo banks, we have the new cryptocurrency. Can do it? You can do it?
Speaker 2: Someone said, unpaid internships.
Speaker 3: No, I'm all for that.
Speaker 2: We're from unpaid internship culture. Though, when people ask me like what I found to be perhaps most helpful with working in media, it was all the unpaid internships I did where I felt like I was able to extract so much value without really giving much in return. Like you just show up, people give you grunt work like pack this pr box, and yes you should be paid for your labor. But all the information I gathered just to be able to sit in rooms, yeah, I felt like I scam them. Maybe that's what capitalism wants me to think. Anything else off the dome.
Speaker 3: I feel like the real scams are things that you don't realize until it's too late. A lah Adobe.
Speaker 2: Subscription, having to pay for thoo that grows out of the ground, fritten veggies and it's pricey too that I don't get. And again, let's pay for the labor, but the physical veggie, it was already gonna be there.
Speaker 3: I guess it just sounds like you want to be born in a different time.
Speaker 2: I'm happy to be here where we're at, but it could be different right now, Like if we all were a bit more self sustaining and had our own farms, we could just go pick a tomato at the back, pick ahead of lettuce.
Speaker 3: That's what your subscriptions for Farmville.
Speaker 1: This is flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: If there's one thing to know about my co host sitting over there in the orange pants and the dojer Cat printed graphic tea that she made herself I did, and the bland Siaga crocs. Yeah, it's that Flex has a overwhelming interest. I say it would special interest, special interests, a conspiracy theory interests, and that is around aliens. Flex is convinced that aliens exist. Oh, abs, let me not, Let me not. I am more on the fence. You're a denier. I haven't seen proof anyway. Because I'm trying to get prepared for the show, I'm trying to find ways to relate to you. I thought I'm going to find an alien story on the internet. That's sweet, thank you. And the first one that I found was rather serendipitous, and I think it proved my point that aliens don't exist. Some imp trying to read it out for you. You tell me if you still believe after this. Denise Stoner was two and a half years old the first time she remembers an alien taking it. She was at home in Hartford with her grandfather. Her mother was at the hospital giving birth to her younger sister. She remembers staring out at a large picture window seeing an egg shaped object in the sky offering above some power lines. What's Humpty Dumpty doing up in the sky, she asked. She remembers a few in her grandfather's face when he suggested it was time for bed. Later that night, as she lay staring at her nursery rhyme themed wallpaper, an entity walked through her wall. He looks like a monk. He had a robe and he was carrying a light. I wasn't afraid of him, she said. He put out his other hand for me to take it, and I did. We walked out into the hallway. The alien pointed his light at the wall. They disappeared through it. Since then, she says, it has taken more than fifty times from her home, the streaked her car, and the last time only three years ago, driving through the mountains of Colorado. He just looks like a typical gray alien, but he's one of the tall ones, just a very subtle shape of the face his She is a little.
Speaker 1: That's the ship I've ever heard.
Speaker 3: Listened to that.
Speaker 2: I just still believe that aliens what's going on?
Speaker 3: And that's the evidence you bought. I just want to get to the bottom of the alien thing with you, because you seem to talk about them constantly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I want to get to the bottom of how are you going to dispute it? And bring the first person account of a random child from the seventies. Okay, so I need to understand how to dispute the fact that aliens exist. You've bought this firsthand RinkyDink account of some child in the seventies internalizing et and think it was their own personal truth.
Speaker 3: My thing with aliens flex is that there's so much an earth that we have not yet found. Why are we wasting time trying to find aliens. It's like a boy that doesn't like you, stop chasing. If he wanted you, he'd be here already. Aliens, if they are so great, have the technology to come and find us? Do they find us? Only see find the crazy people suggested that.
Speaker 2: So your hypothesis is that we should not seek out information. We should wait till information reveals itself. Probably so for any health issue, any greater understanding of the world, any recipe which just wait till it reveals itself in front of us, it should just manifest.
Speaker 3: Some would say seek out answers. It's a Catholic type approach. Do you have some Catholic blood in me? What do you get out of knowing that aliens exist?
Speaker 2: My priority is believing that more things exist than we understand. I think it's very closed minded to shut down something and we have no proof evil way.
Speaker 3: So do you take that same approach with God? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Like so much of what exists in the world I will never experience, have not ever experienced. So I think it's a bit bullish to deny it completely. Like, for example, you know how when I could walk into a room and say, oh, I had a really bad experience at a certain bar and I was attacked, and so I might be like, oh, my god, like I always have a great time there, Okay, I'm telling you what I know. Or let's say we've both never been to this bar, but I've heard terrible things. You've heard great things. Why can't they just both be true. Me saying that something could exist, it's not saying that it doesn't exist for you. It's just saying in my world, in my reality, that possibility seems plausible. But what I think about denying something is that if we had visual confirmation of everything that was possible, then I would totally understand when someoneould be like, I don't believe it because everything else that is true in the world I've seen, but we don't have visual confirmation of so much stuff that we believe.
Speaker 3: What are some other examples, like love that's.
Speaker 2: Just a concept that we've all written poetry about, and like reverse engineered chemical shit that happens.
Speaker 3: That's just the theory facts. It is chemicals, isn't it. You know, it's kind of like this is what happens.
Speaker 2: Is it just attachment, it's just obsession, Like it's just my special interest for the day.
Speaker 3: How I know I love them.
Speaker 2: We've just like collectively agreed in this delusion like breakfast, this idea that you should be eating this meal first thing in the morning. But if it's morning here and nighttime in Ghana, then isn't.
Speaker 3: That theory debunked? M No, it isn't.
Speaker 2: We've just managed to understand that two things can be true. It is morning here, nighttime there. Knowing both doesn't cancel.
Speaker 3: Out each other.
Speaker 2: They both can exist. So my thing with aliens is that I like this idea of conceptualizing that there is so much greater than what I don't understand, and that is interesting to me. My life doesn't change either way, but I do think that a lack of openness around the concept of believing in things you can't experience.
Speaker 3: I can't do that shit. But I also was raised religious, so like, hmm, you know you being raised religious would make me think you would be more like I am.
Speaker 2: Well, raise religious in the sense. But like so much of that underpinning is about faith and having just to believe things will work out, things will work in your favor, things are going to happen.
Speaker 3: Logically, knowing that necessarily things might not work in your favor, it's making more or less of a believer.
Speaker 2: Logically knowing that things might not work in my favor makes me less of a believer in what faith?
Speaker 3: Mmm mmm, I.
Speaker 2: Don't necessarily think of faith in that way.
Speaker 3: Like things.
Speaker 2: Let's say, if we're talking talking things might not work out, like I might not go to Panama in my lifetime. Me say, I have faith that might that might happen. Well, I could do that tomorrow. That's not really like an omnipotent thing I'm leaving in the air. It's like I could just go. I don't need to have faith that will happen. I could just go it.
Speaker 3: I mean things that you can't necessarily control.
Speaker 2: Like I have faith that I'm not going to die tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, do you have faith in that? Yeah? It's just a delusion that I say to keep me happy. Right, So you have, since becoming an adult, learned that a lot of faith based things are delusions. For me for you. Yeah, interesting, like aliens a complete delusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but so is everything. It's like object permanent to a delusion. The fact that Will can be behind me and I can't see him and he's got to like take my take everyone's word for him. That's insane. What's a little bit.
Speaker 3: Like how a couple of days ago in the studio, all of a sudden a gust of cold came. We all felt it.
Speaker 2: We all felt that it was a breeze of cold in a close studio with no ventilation.
Speaker 3: So weird. But spooky things don't happen in fring his world.
Speaker 2: No, are you trying to explain it? Don't worry about it, you know.
Speaker 3: I only say that I don't believe in aliens, just Yankee Chain.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the thing is, like we've spoken about before, I like discussing concepts. I don't care for answers, and I think that I zone out very quickly out of conversations where people are trying to get to the bottom of it and solve it. It's like, we're not going to solve it in this conversation. Injuriate is just get a greater understanding, and that's it.
Speaker 3: And I think that's quite difficult for people to for people for you. For me, I always say for people whenever I say you know some people, No, I'm talking about myself. It's my roundabout way of never surrounding myself. I recommend you try it sometime.
Speaker 1: This is flex and Frooms on Kada.
Speaker 2: Where do you think is the best country to be a woman?
Speaker 3: Sweden? What makes you say that? Rolling hills, little ponds to wash yourself in like a beautiful princess. Now, I don't know, Probably not Australia. Why do you say that, because we're like, we're like notoriously sexist, racist, you know, a lot of the bubbling not We could go either way.
Speaker 2: Okay, best countries to be a woman starting in at number five Luxembourg, followed by Denmark, Iceland, Finland, Norway.
Speaker 3: So you're right with Scandinavia. I feel like these are all places that have some sort of basic income situation popping what you mean in basic income situation? Like what's it called universal basic income? Oh? Yeah, all that some such all those kind of things that help women.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you sound as inspired as I thought you would sound. It's fantastic. No, you think it's fascinating. I mean the criteria, what are the metrics? Well, this is what I was saying. I was trying to find the criteria of it, and it was based on things like sentiment, what is the general feeling about this place?
Speaker 3: How other countries perceive this place generally.
Speaker 2: So it's like a bit of vibes, a bit of measurement system, a lot of data that I couldn't unpack. I was like, what does that number mean? You know, but good to know the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can move there. Yea, you turn over to northern Europe.
Speaker 2: Do you know my thing about moving somewhere else? I don't play tax into places. Oh do you have to play both places? Oh you've got a business.
Speaker 3: Hey yeah, Well I'm a free agent, so I can live out all your fantasies. Weight here toilet, please don't to buy for me? Yeah, facts poor to potty.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and frooms.
Speaker 3: It's time for a love line. That's when somebody sends in a love relationship dilema and we love these there's a little bit of roasting that occurs.
Speaker 2: The roasting always happened, but I think it's good to keep discussions around love light and silly.
Speaker 3: You know, it's traumatic enough for a lot of people. This is true.
Speaker 2: The roast is for character development.
Speaker 3: Well, this is a big, fat, long one, so let's just get straight into it. Thank you. I have a good relationship with my boyfriend. We have been data for six months. However, I can't help but feel weird about his relationship with anime and hentai. From the start, I knew he liked anime, and that's one of the reasons we became close. However, now I'm getting even more close. I can't help or realize how much a biggest sexual role anime plays in his life. For context, He's been watching anime and consuming hen tai and animated erotica for some years now. He even has a favorite anime girl that he's dedicated to. Oh. His whole room is full of posters of her. Always buys anything he can get that is related to her, pillows, figurines. He also has a massive collection of erotica related to her since dating. He knows that I have an bit of an issue with it, so he has been taking down some of the posters. However, there are some pitchures he can't be unattached to, so he's had to keep some. He used to refer to this specific anime character as his waifu, and has told me how he used to feel happy when people jokingly said that she was his girlfriend. I love that. I know that he has tried to reduce his hen tie consumption since we started dating, but I feel weird about seeing all the half naked posters in his room and seeing him obsess over everything that relates to this specific anime character. I don't want him to stop doing things that he enjoys just for me, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer for this specific aspect to be reduced or gone. I don't know what to do help me flexing froomes. I feel for her because clearly she likes him, but she needs she needs to do some soul searching. When I was a young girl dating a man a bit older, looked through his computer one time images and I felt so gutted. I felt betrayed. I was sixteen, so you know it wasn't very worldly. But now I couldn't give her ratsass because I know they're with me and he can't have that woman in the photo. This man can't have that anime bride, So just do you chill with it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Let him live see the thing. Initially I was like, oh, this is just chill. Like he likes anime, he likes hentai. People should have their interests and also fictional characters. We all love our fictional characters. I think this in this instance, though, it's less about the sexual element and more so about his attachment that he couldn't choose to take a few posters down, Like his relationship to this character is so strong. He has to have the posters up, he has to keep the memorabilia.
Speaker 3: He has to keep it up.
Speaker 2: That's his girlfriend, baby. And the point that she made initially is right, like, we shouldn't be able to tell people what their interest should or shouldn't be for our own benefit. And I think it's a slippery slope because you started out in this relationship liking this interest together. And also I'm not sure that she even knows how deep it runs for him, so it'd be really hard for her to be like, Okay, if you take the posters down, I'll be fine with it, because what if it's just not the posters, or if you take the memorabilia way, I'll be fine, what if that's not enough, it'll just before you know, you're chipping away at him and his interest before Yeah, there's.
Speaker 3: Not much left.
Speaker 2: And like we were talking about the other day, a lot of people have this feeling that they are what they consume, Like I am my interest So if you don't like my interests, well you don't like me. Now it's six months in, I don't know what people do.
Speaker 3: I feel like, what do you want to do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to date um dat him? You want to datum donat him. At this point, I don't want to remind you, but the media will hit.
Speaker 3: And we'll feel very silly to be clutching you love ones you don't love that much.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Flex and Rooms catch up podcast. For more, tune Inticata on DAB or check it out right here on iHeartRadio.