Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload.
Speaker 2: The podcast last week.
Speaker 1: Thereby, Hey everyone, welcome back to TV Reload. I want to thank you for tuning into today's episode, where we're joined by the latest contestants eliminated from Australian Idol's Top eight. It is John and Emma. With the competition heating up, their departure proves that Astrayan Idol is truly anyone's game in twenty twenty five. If Emma and John can be sent home, no one is safe. That's why the judges are urging viewers to vote. Every single vote matters when it comes to keeping your favorite in the competition. Emma's elimination is a real shocker if you ask me, considering the powerhouse vocals that she has brought to the stage this season and John this season's undeniable QT patuity. He has learned that charm alone isn't enough to secure us spot in the finals. In this episode, John opens up about his relationship with the judges for revealing which one is his favorite. Emma shares a rare insight into her unique voice ability and why it sounds so different when she sings compared to when she is talking. We dive into the behind the scenes of styling, who picks the outfits, how the songs are chosen for the group performances. Plus we get John's reaction to his Instagram dms, Emma's plans when she returns home to Canberra, and a bold prediction I make about John's future, which he seems pretty excited about. There's actually so much to cover, with plenty of exclusive insights and behind the scenes revelations, So sit back and relax and join us as we break down the world of Australian Idol, which returns this Sunday night. Hi John, congratulation. I'm so excited.
Speaker 2: What an experience, man, It's been a massive ride. Best way to explain. It's like a bit of a roller coaster. You go through all the eyes, go all through the whole lows and you know, that's what it's all about, experiencing the whole thing so so good.
Speaker 1: Put your hands in the air and try not to spue. I think that's what roller coasters.
Speaker 3: That's it, that's it.
Speaker 1: You know, you had such a memorable time on the show. I think people will remember you for this season. But I also felt like you were a bit of an underdog or you had like an underdog status throughout your time on the show.
Speaker 2: Did you feel that Definitely, I felt like a little bit of an underdog. It was hard because the whole time I was trying to work out, you know, who I kind of was the whole time, and I was so Australia lots of different things at the same time. It was hard to really bring out who I really was. But at the same time, like, I've just got so much to give. Yes, I'm off the show and that's a shame, but the show has been so good and it's taught me so many different things that I can now put into the future in my career now, how to be.
Speaker 4: And how can I love when I'm a friend.
Speaker 1: I feel like for you, when I started watching you on the show, I thought of Johnny Raffo, beautiful artist. Then he went on to do things like Home and Away and presenting and all this other stuff. I feel like, yeah, early days, but that's kind of where I see you. Like, the music is amazing, and you have an incredible voice and an incredible presence, but I think you're marketable way beyond all of that, Like this.
Speaker 2: This whole industry that I'm in right now is very much a very portfolio industry, so you have to be in a lot of different things. The best person that I can think of as well is Richey Lee. She's amazing. We got out at the exact same time in the competition.
Speaker 3: She got to top eight.
Speaker 2: I got to top aight. And the thing that Ricky Lee is doing right now is incredible, man, Like, she's got her own radio show, amazing like on and she's also a singer as well.
Speaker 1: Does this mean that you in ten years time could be home sting Australian idol. I mean that's the trajectory that Ricky Lee Coolter went on.
Speaker 2: I was actually talking to some of the people there and they were like, you know what, don't you be such a cool hode.
Speaker 1: I can see that Scott tweeting watch out you might have his job.
Speaker 3: Exagree.
Speaker 2: Man, who knows what's going to happen in the future. But I'm always open to a new opportunities and trying new stuff and giving a red hot crack and yeah, I've got lots to give and still very young in it.
Speaker 1: Still in some ways you're sort of because you're cute as a button and you kind of pick up all of the girls following you on. Does that add a little bit of extra pressure or does it make it a bit weirder because there's other people in the competition that don't have that. You know, no one's going yeah Jesus, all these women are screaming at you.
Speaker 5: Where for you?
Speaker 1: I wondered what that does to you? Does it add an extra pressure?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know. It's like, let's say I'm performing mysel getting ready on stage right, and then you know, all the whole the whole production teams say all right, are we ready already? And in that moment, you should be locking in. You should be really thinking about your about your lyrics, thinking about how you going to deliver it. Then at the same time, you've got the people in the in the mosh pit, you know, really looking at you.
Speaker 6: All the girls are looking at you, and you don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: And I find it really tricky sometimes because I should be locking in, but at the same time they're my fans, that's my target audience. I kind of need to let that, let that in as well. So it's definitely tricky, But at the same time, it's awesome. You can't know who I am. I'm that young guy at the moment, and it's just that different target audience that some people can't reach, and I can go into that. But it's very hard, man. It's like there's a lot of a lot of d ms on Instagram and there's a lot of all that type of stuff, and it gets a bit crazy.
Speaker 1: Are you right on Instagram? Are you putting the phone? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I get back to a couple of literally some of them just say, man, congrats, that was amazing, blah blah blah. Then there's some of them that they send they're full therefore, ready made through and say how good it will be together. Sometimes I feel really bad when I see a monts to paragraph and I'm like, there's no way that took time. That's right that, So of course I'll reply to that and just knowing you very much. I try to get back to as many people as I can, and with the pressure of the show, it gets really hard. But I think in the next couple of days it.
Speaker 1: To them and send them a message down to the coffee shop and just start reading their messages and sending them back, you know, so we can confirm that you're still single. So that's I feel like I'm adding fire, like I'm adding wood to the fire here at this point.
Speaker 3: I'm still man right, I'm still okay.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck with that, yeers. I don't know how long that will lie.
Speaker 1: I picked up on some similar stylings each week. Is that something you wear in real life? I mean, who picks the clothes for these who picks the clothes each week? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Basically we have a massive wardrobe team which is awesome. And basically every week they have a look at what song you're singing and then they choose They work with the creative team and they choose a set, and then off the set they would choose the outfit and basically they're just going it off my character. It might not be stuff I wear in everyday life, but it was more just to suit my character young gymnast that is a heart throb. And they do it to all the contestants as well and try to based off the character. And it's not a bad thing. And basically I went into this whole process of Australian idols to see what industry wants and what industry thinks about me as well, and just trying to get my head around who I am and because you know, I'm still working that stuff out. And my mum called me last night and she says, good job, John, blah blah blah. You know that was amazing. But she says, do not leave Sydney or do not leave Idol without buying all those clothes because they are great clothes. And I'm like, you know what, mum, You're so right?
Speaker 1: Are we going to say? She was asking whether or not you know you get them for free? Maybe you need to speak to.
Speaker 2: What I think we get a discount. I think we get a discount which is great, which is amazing. Yeah, I won't be taking half the cause.
Speaker 1: At home, amazing. I think that's great. W your wardrobe. You know, the group performances are some of my favorites, and I've never asked anyone on the show, how do you get to choose? Do you get any saying who gets the lyrics? Because some of these songs are iconic, like the Beatles, and I would be like, oh yeah, my voice suits this lyric. I want to sing that. Do you all get to have conversation that's quite open or do they just say your lyric number three.
Speaker 2: Basically that's what it is in a nutshell, but basically what it is.
Speaker 3: The whole process of singing.
Speaker 2: A song on a TV show is massive. But then also it's hard because for the top twelve song, let's say that the song was listen to the music, great song. But what happened was how we recorded that was that after the first night, those four people that got through, they will then go into the studio the next day and then they record a couple of lines and basically the music team are choosing what lyrics you're seeing. And the good thing about Australian I was that they always try to know give the best, you know, do what's right, and they do they tail it to the right person. So for example, like that that live around when we last night where we did that what do you call that Beatles song? You know Jake starting it off with that nice country kick to it. It was a great start. And then you know, my line with Marshall got to be good looking because you're so hard to say like they probably thought about that, said yeah, Johnny's.
Speaker 1: Perfect, Yeah it's exactly.
Speaker 2: So it's very much up to the music team. But at the same time we all work together and we all kind of make it our own, but they do give us the lyrics, but they're also super chill about making it our own, which is nice, not being so driven on the melody, which is good. So yeah, we kind of use what we've got.
Speaker 1: There's a celebrity sort of lifestyle that you lead when you do one of these shows. And there was an article on The Woman's Day. I think about you sort of being sick at one point and worrying about whether or not you'll continue in the competition, but I noticed every week you seem to look fitter and healthier and better. The question I have for you is are you going to maintain this sort of new celebrity lifestyle of better sleep, you know, better food, looking after yourself? Like is there a change that comes with having an opportunity like this?
Speaker 2: Sure, the whole health side and the physical health but also the mental health side is a serious heart about being musician, and you know, this whole experience. Definitely in the last couple of weeks, it really shows you that you know, if you're on tour, this is what it's going to be like, you're going to be performing most nights. You need to be health and ready, like you know, be healthy and ready, and so you know, basically I was just, you know, I got into the competition. I was I was young, I was eighteen. I was still wasn't really too focused on my health and all that stuff, sure.
Speaker 1: That you know, honestly, I was in a gun.
Speaker 2: Exactly, just a normal thing, right, and then you know, I got through it just being my normal self. And then it got to that top thirty week, and I was like the first week because we did three challenges in one week and you're singing every night, you're learning songs the night before that was a really tough week. And my whole health system went like, man, like that's crazy, bro.
Speaker 1: It kind of looks you got to this peak, right, and then all of a sudden, just it turned around. Look like you to a point where yeah, you were exhausted by the whole situation, and then from there on in you just got your skin looked better, Yeah, your eyes look better. Yeah, just pulled it like, yeah, it seemed like whatever was happening was right for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And I just feel like definitely coming over being away from family was really hard and I was really struggling with that. But Basically, it's the experience that you get out of it and you get used to it. You get used to going to bed at the right time, you get you feel like eating the right stuff. And I think for me as well, you know, just going on walks every day. I went to a park every single day. I had this pink footy that I used to kick up and down the corridor, all that little stuff, just to make sure that at the end of the day, you always need to make sure that you're okay and that you look after yourself. And I made that a big focus this trip, and it really worked in my favor, which was nice.
Speaker 1: But I really wanted you tom that up. I think that's going to be really beneficial for you because, like, if you're going to think so much, and you know, in TV and in and in music, I can tell you that I have been around the TV industry for a very long time, and the people that succeed are the people that have a really healthy life balance. And yeah, that's so important, you know, it's so important. The other thing, you know, I was going through the comments, I really wanted to ask you questions that I think that the fans wanted to know and what I kept sure winning again and again was about your song choices and who you want to be as an artist. I noticed that you'd said that you were like Justin Bieber, that's the kind of artist I want to be. But then we hear Kyle Sandalan say that probably wasn't the right song for you. And if you look at the history of songs that you sung, you know that catalog has got spice girls, it's got Robin, It's got all of these different people. Yeah, you know, y, coming out of the competition, do you feel like you are closer to knowing what kind of an artist you want to be?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: I went into this competition just to give it a shot, see what this is all about. And I didn't really know who I was in what the artist was. You had a voice on you that has something to give, but I just wanted someone to say something in me, and that's what the judges. And then basically every single round it felt like I was doing something a little bit different every single time, which is good but also bad in the same way because people were like, oh, I connected as do which is crazy for starters.
Speaker 1: You said you wanted somebody to see something in you. I want you to know not only did those judges see that and put you forward and really helps you get into the top twelve, but Australia has seen something in you. There's something unique and amazing about you that almost stands out.
Speaker 2: Of the bus.
Speaker 1: So one of the other people in the top twelve, you've really Yeah, not only have you hit the ball, you know you've had a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, thank you so much. I appreciate that. And you know what, like I think doing the Justin Babers song, it was always good. I just want to show Australia something else that I can do, something a little bit different, and you definitely put a bit of a spin on things. But then really roping it back with the Coln Scott at the end.
Speaker 7: Swim every super be weird fix word up, oh it's visa.
Speaker 2: I felt like I was being myself a really strong Australia like who I am, and the judges agreed, They're like, yes, man, that's going to be who you are, bro. And I was really happy with that because I really wanted to come off this show in a good way and in a positive way and making sure that you know, I was happy with myself and I was I feel.
Speaker 3: Like I landed that one.
Speaker 1: And I think you'd be hard on your sleeve, And that's part of the connect I think there's a lot of people sitting at home who would love to have the opportunity to try and improve something to themselves. And because you were hard on your sleeve, we as an audience come on that journey with you. Yeah, and we route f Yeah. I wanted to say about Sandy Lance. A lot of people talk about his comments and being that they can sometimes be quite harsh. I really like Kyle and I know him as a person, so I don't see it that way. But do you think, being a young person on television that it's easy to see that sort of criticism from someone like him? And do they prepare you? Do they say just so you know once the comments go to Kyle, he might say something crazy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do they know?
Speaker 2: Basically how I said the judges is that Amy Shark. She's in it right now. She's really pumping out some good stuff. She's gigging at the moment. She's this this Brian person in present time. Martha has just been amazing. She's had a massive career. She understands how the stuff where she's got the experience behind her. And then how I see Kyle is that yes he's not in the music industry, but he sees what sells right. He's a big business man. He sees this stuff, and yes he's a bit harsh, but he knows what's good what's bad. He's a bit like a Simon Cowell. Right, Yeah, think about Coyle's My best mate says is that Carl has his personality and sometimes it goes a bit, a bit haywire. But my best mate, he says, Kyle says the right thing the wrong way. And look, I agree with that term. But at the same time, like I'm taking feedback on board, like they're trying to do the best thing for me, and sometimes it goes off in a really bad way, and people will see in a really bad way. I honestly don't. I take it as you know, that constructive criticism and see the good in it. It doesn't really bother me as some people might think. And I really respect Carl. I think he's had it hard from a very young age and the thing he's been able to do is, you know, is make it right. And he's done that and really look up to Cale. To be honest, I think I answered one of the questions in an in the interview and like who's your favorite judge? I said, I reckon it has to be Cole Man like he's cool man, Like.
Speaker 1: I give him respect absolutely. You know, I've finished the podcast every time asking a question of something behind the scenes, and we've run out of time, so I have to try and sort of make it easier for you when Kyle says something like this stage, maybe a behind the scenes is whether or not you have access to Kyle all the other judges, Like once the cameras go down, do they come up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Offer you some more clarity, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, basically what happens is cameras go down, we're all out the stage, and the judges actually come through and they actually talk to us as a person, which is amazing. And I don't know if I should be saying this. I wants me to say this, but basically he came up to me after that just a Beba performance and he said, you know what, man, that was amazing. He said, you did such a good job. And he said, you know the comment that I made the girls like the Martian Amy hated me saying it, but he says, like, you did such a great job and you should be really proud of yourself. He says, you know, we had to put on a TV show here, but you know you did amazing. And I was like, you know what, that's massive coming from Colin. I wouldn't say it's an apology, but he's looking out for me, saying, man, you're great and all that. So that's great and I really got an awesome connection there. So we do get to meet the judges in person, which is nice. Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 1: Well, I am in your audience, my friend. Like a lot of people in Australia, I can't wait to see how you take this. I think thing the sky is the limit. There's plenty of opportunities out there. Please look after yourself and have will have enjoyed the ride, like you know what I mean, like enjoy the.
Speaker 2: It's just starting now, man, and it's been amazing and talking to you guys has been amazing. So thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing, all right, you enjoy chatting to the media.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. See you mate, Sea, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: What a fabulous chat with John some great insights there. Now we will unpack the Australian Idol journey with Emma, who I'm sure has her own tales to tell from her time on the show. Hi am, how are you?
Speaker 3: I love, how are you going?
Speaker 1: I'm doing really well. You have the most incredible voice, and I have to say to you, this is the biggest shock of the season for me so far. I just I was talking to a lot of people this morning about it, and people feel very disappointed that you've come out of the show. It must be amazing to sort of have this kind of response from people because people are saying you're the Ricky Lee of this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I thank you so much. First of all, I really appreciate it. It it's encouraging definitely. People I have had a lot of people saying that that the career she went on to have a lot of people have been just making that comparison, which I think is really cool. It's motivating, I think because I've seen obviously been alongside Ricky like while on the show, Like it's motivating to see somebody that's done it and come out of the show and made a career out of it. So yeah, it's definitely something to look forward to.
Speaker 1: I guess hopefully when did you realize that you had this voice? Because to me, your voice is sort of otherworldly. It's sort of like a voice in disguise, because when you're talking, you don't necessarily hear that sound, but when you start singing, it's like Amy Winehouse or there's a gravitas to it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's really interesting because people say that as well. I guess, like my speaking voice is quite different to my singing voice, and I think a lot of people were sort of like, what's going on, Like is this her voice?
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's very interesting.
Speaker 6: I think there is a lot of those sort of old school influences in it, and like my tone is quite unique, and I think it's definitely developed over the years, like when I was a kid. Obviously, I've done music for a long time, so I think just with age, I guess my voice changed then. I think that sort of grit developed over time. And I think also like as I discovered my voice, I would say like as I sort of exported a bit and actually like honing my craft, my voice just sort of developed into that tone. And so I guess it's just probably gonna do that with age. I guess like it'd be interesting to see I guess what it sounds like down the track sort of thing, because I think it'll sort of just keep keep developing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it will. I think I really do think it will. That answers my question. You didn't just one day hear that voice come out and you were like, WHOA, Okay, I got it.
Speaker 6: I think I think it's always been that like soul to it, like the I always remember as a kid, people when I was a king would sort of go, oh, there's just like it's something different, like you sort of have that soul in your voice, or there's something about your voices what people like used to always sort of yeah, like I always so, I'm a bit of an old soul. So I think there's just so much erris ind I would say in my voice, it's like the word I always sort of use for it, Like it just sounds like there's so many influences that have gone into it, which I think is why people are always like, who does she sound like like she reminds me of this person? Or if she reminds me of this person, which is really cool?
Speaker 7: You well.
Speaker 5: Among the fields, boy, you jealous that we all, which is cool.
Speaker 1: You had a sound though, that that's very signature to you, and I've one of my friends is Natalie Bassingthwaite, and she has a sound that so when she covers, if she's doing a Whitney song, you know that that is a signature Beast song. And with your voice, you're very similar because if you look at the beg Cyndi Lauper, Shania Twain, the Pretender's goals like these are all sort of you know, eighties and nineties classics songs, but every time you sung them, you're like, oh no, I can hear Emma in that. That's her signago sound, which is what you need as an artist to not just be a cruise ship singer.
Speaker 3: Important.
Speaker 6: That's something that I'm passionate about, I guess is being distinctive, like I never want to. I think just as a person, I'm quite sort of I love the concept of being unique and offering something different.
Speaker 3: And I think because obviously the industry is huge.
Speaker 6: Like there's just so many, so many amazing artists, and so you have to really stand out, like you have to bring something different. And I think it's great that my voice has sort of that distinctive sound like it gives me, I guess, the opportunity to be unique and bring something different and a different sound.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I mean, the one thing I did think of was old Made Hamburger. They kept calling him out his eighties songs, where I felt like your arrangements of your songs was just as distinctive, these big songs that you know, everyone knows you did something to you. We're Hamburger. They're like, you know, we love you, You're amazing, you know you've done it again, where I'm like, okay, but what about this bitch?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is interesting, like he's obviously he's so so talented.
Speaker 6: I love that guy, right, But yeah, I think I think there's just a lot of factors that go into that.
Speaker 3: And I think I think I.
Speaker 6: Probably also did have like more the songs that are sung on the show with sort of that more stripped back ballady sort of style, which I think as well, people like have very tastes and stuff. But I guess the upbeat songs are always sort of the ones that I guess do well in that setting.
Speaker 3: Most of the time. I mean, I love stuff like that.
Speaker 6: I love arranging songs and making them my own. Like my one thing that I said every week was sort of like I don't understand, like I'm covering it, like I don't want to say I did another thing. I'm doing the song or like I always and I think I naturally do it too. I think, like the judges even said that, like you just you don't even know that you do it, but you just naturally put your twist on it, and when you're sing, you just naturally change things like you just you just.
Speaker 3: Do your own thing.
Speaker 6: So I think it's just a natural thing as well. I just sing it and feel it and connect with it, and it just sort of happens, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: Just so people listening to the podcast understand. I sometimes use the term bitch because I'm reclaiming it. I don't say it in a negative people going to come to something another like you right.
Speaker 6: No, I'm doing my finger snap in the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I mean. That's what I'm doing. And people sometimes are like you old gay, why and how dare you? And I'm like, no, I'm saying it in the best way possible.
Speaker 7: What about this?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like I have all people understand, Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad that I've broken you on board. I wanted to know because I know RICKI lay personally, and I just know how kind and how generous she is with her time. Did she get a chance to talk you after the show last night? And I'm sure she did, but can you tell us what she might have said.
Speaker 6: Didn't get a chance to chat to her too much after the show last night, but things were a bit crazy. But like during the show and like throughout the process, like when I after I performed and everything, she she's so kind, like so kind, Like I think, yeah, one of the kind of people in the process.
Speaker 3: Like she really stood out to me actually because I think.
Speaker 1: She said that's her.
Speaker 6: Yeah, every time I've done she took time to comment in like and was really genuine about it, like she sort of just like, actually, I love your voice and sort of said said things that super encouraging. And I think it's nice that because obviously she understands that journey and she understands I guess what happens after and what it takes and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: So it's cool that she saw that in me, like that she's.
Speaker 6: Actually recognized and I guess sees something in me is really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's lovely, lovely.
Speaker 1: It would have been really stressful last night, like you were saying, we didn't get a chance to talk to her. But I want to know, Like how do they get you home and make sure that you're up in time for these interviews in the morning? Do they shoot you with a tranquilizer and throw you in a van and make you go to sleep, take your phone off you like what happens?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 6: I mean to be honest, Like it's pretty exhausting. So I just it's crashed out, really and then I'll head home today.
Speaker 1: What does it look like for Like, do you know what happens to you now? Like do they just pop you into a cupboard and we'll bring you out for a reunion special? Like what happens?
Speaker 2: Are they? No?
Speaker 6: I did?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I just think it'd be interesting to you know, go back to Canberra and you know, and see and to go back to normal life. That would seem like a really big culture shock because so much of everything has been so fast paced, with picking your songs, work on choreography, doing group songs, like all of this stuff. It's just been so hectic. Are you looking forward to the downtime or do you think you're trying sort of push the momentum.
Speaker 6: That's That's one thing that I'm like thinking about heavily because obviously you want to, like, it's so important to look after yourself after doing something like this. I think it's crucial really because otherwise, if you just go full steam ahead and don't have downtime, it's not like it's just not healthy. And I'm big on making sure that I do that, Like I think I'm really big on longevity as well, Like I don't want to burn out, so I think I need to find ways to utilize the momentum because I also don't want that to fizzle out. So I think I need to be consistent and use the momentum, but also make sure I look after myself, Like it's so important.
Speaker 3: To do that something like this.
Speaker 1: If you're don't just keep throwing yourself out there, you burn yourself out when opportunities do come up, you need to be fresh and prime.
Speaker 6: Well, that's exactly right, Like I'm big on I always like one of my favorite things is always like see what happens when the dust settles, Like I just love that because it's always it's always sort of everything's really heightened in the moment, but everything I guess I've ever experienced when it comes to my career, it happens later, like the dust has to settle, and it's sort of the high, Like the high is done. It's like the big moment's done, and it's I guess what you do after that and what happens after that? And I want to, I guess be ready for whatever comes my way sort of thing. And so it's definitely important to look after myself so that I am ready. But also I think even taking time to be mindful and like grateful for what I got out of the experience and actually like reflect on I think that's super important too, like actually sitting with it and like being mindful about that so that I can, I guess, take that in process and like channel.
Speaker 3: That moving forward. I think that's like really important too.
Speaker 1: See. I knew you were smart, Emma Jones. I knew, well I was going to have this call with you today. I'm going to learn some stuff from you. And I think that that's that's really good And it's amazing that there's these young people out there that will look up to you, And that's also an important role to take on, is to set a good example for really the young people who are coming up from behind you that you know might be a rascals at school or trying to explore what they want to be as an artist. And having someone like yourself with your head very level on your shoulders. I think this is quite amazing and you could sort of see that throughout your time on the competition.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: What about these judges are you like if you had to put them in order? I've not done this to anyone yet, but I feel like you're the one most level of person so far. So, like you know, in regards to these three judges, I guarantee you they're all very busy. They're never going to listen to it. What do you reckon top three judges? Can you put them in order?
Speaker 6: I think it would depend on on what the order was based off. But I think they all I think they all have really good things to offer, Like I think in their own right, I guess they're very different, like they all are very different, and they're in different sort of in the same world, but different lanes, And I think very much that's really cool because they sort of cover a lot of different bases, like I think it'd be hard to I guess put it in an order. Like I think for me personally, it's based off I guess who I connect with. I think I really connected with Marsha because I just think she obviously has like a wealth of knowledge, that's a very wise person and quite empathetic as well, Like I think we sort of just connected on that level. And then Amy Shark as well, Like I I think he had a genuine I guess he saw something in me as well and was really encouraging, and so I think that'd probably in my order.
Speaker 1: To be able to pull you in line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll tell you the harsh exactly.
Speaker 6: I think he actually was really lovely, Like I think he's very like smart man, Like he's very good at what he does, and I think there's a lot to learn from him in that aspect, and actually even just seeing how he conducts himself and that sort of thing like is very very interesting to observe and it's good to I guess, take pieces of wisdom off of like each judge because I think they have different things to offer.
Speaker 3: And hopefully, I mean I hope that I can sort.
Speaker 6: Of use the momentum and like try and maintain a connection with them, I guess because I feel.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, I think that's super important.
Speaker 6: Like I was talking to Marsha the other night, and she's sort of like encouraging me about the comments that she made of my last performance and just saying sort of if you need me to like explain this to you more, like I'd love to chat to you about And that's good thing. So it's definitely there's a all it's open. So I guess it's just a matter of maintaining and like trying to foster that connection because I think I don't know what's there to lose at the end of the day. She's someone that I think I could learn a lot from, so might as well maintain the connection.
Speaker 1: Very smart lady, very smart lady, very kind, very generous. Absolutely, when they brought her back full time for season two of the reboot for Channel seven, I was like, that was a turning point for the competition for me, I mean, for this reality series, because she brings a gravitas to the show that not many people could have. I mean, she's a survivor in an industry which is very hard to do she's still selling out concert halls at her age. Yeah, yeah, that is amazing.
Speaker 6: That's the thing that inspires me about her as well. I think that something that I connected with her was the longevity, Like her career is.
Speaker 3: Like, and that's what I want to do.
Speaker 6: I think the industry has become one that's very sort of short lived, like you sort of have like thirty seconds, like even less, and that's the time, and then it's like, Okay, what's the next thing, And everything's so instant. So I think it's inspiring to see somebody that still doing it because I think that's that's.
Speaker 3: What I want to do.
Speaker 6: If I don't want to have guests that sort of instant career and it doesn't last, like I want to make a long, laughing impression and I guess have a legacy, and I.
Speaker 3: Guess that's what everyone wants.
Speaker 6: But I think get it's not something that I would ever compromise on. I think there's obviously always a potential to compromise on that, but it's something that I'm really passionate about, Like I want to have a long career and have influence and like you said about the next generation and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: I think it's important, like to be someone that's consistent.
Speaker 1: Well, you don't get a voice like you and you disappear. You have a voice like you. People celebrated they download your songs, you know, and that's something that people can do. I mean, I've been listening to your songs more on rotation than I think anyone else. I'm loving Eilish, but I find when I listened to the songs at home, it's not as good as watching her life before because she does a lot of stuff with it. But when it comes to just putting on some tracks and enjoying it, I've been playing your music more than anyone else, and I think that that love is that sign of longevity. Do you know what I mean? Like you're a true artist, that is a recording artist ready to go. Before you go, I ask everyone, what is something from behind the scenes. Do you have a fun story about something crazy that happened behind the scenes whilst you've been making the show.
Speaker 6: I think the craziest moment for me, I mean, obviously it was on Telly, but there's a lot of crazy moments, but I think the main was like when I performed to the Googo Dogs that day was absolutely insane because I didn't know that it was happening, so that was a full surprise and I literally was They were like, oh, we're going to go here. I had no idea that I was going to meet them, so I thought I went in thinking like, oh, yeah, I'm going to meet them, Like that's really cool. And that was sort of the height, like I was like, Wow, I'm meeting them, that's amazing. And then I got there and John the soundt it was like, oh, you want to just sing?
Speaker 3: Sing?
Speaker 6: And I like literally was standing there something even thing quite warmed up, and he was like, yeah, just sing the second verse for me, and I was like what the heck? And then I sung and he literally was like, oh, do you want to sing tonight? And the next minute I was singing for like five thousand people.
Speaker 8: John actually invited me to perform tonight, singing on stage with the Google doors in front of a.
Speaker 7: Room full of their fans.
Speaker 8: I was not expecting that, Hey, Australia, Adolf, let's have a chance, come on.
Speaker 7: How the ball Man.
Speaker 1: I liked that moment on the show because it reminded me of Lady Gaga in A Star is Born, where she walked on stage and sung. I thought. I was, like, that was an iconic part of the film, and that's what it felt like for me watching you. I just think, this guy's the limit for you. There's more those opportunities coming, and you'll be more prepared for it than just walking out in front of that sort of an audience.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: I think I'm really grateful for everything that I've learned in terms of like things I experience and even that performance, like having that under my belt, and all the different things with television and all the stuff that you learn and even media, like interested with media and social media and that sort of thing, like I was sort of, I guess I've learned a lot about engagement and how to do that and that sort of thing, and I feel more confident, like empowered to do that moving forward, which is important. Like I came here to put myself out there and to I guess grow, and I've done both of those things.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Emma, collect your stories is the one thing I tell everyone I'm in your audience. I can't wait to see what you do with this. Thank you so much for being so generous with your time this morning. Look after yourself enjoy chatting to the media. I'm sure there's lots of people out there LA talk to you and looking forward to that. Cheers mate, Thank you so much, Ali, thank you.