Speaker 1: I'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners on which this episode is being recorded, the combo marry people. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Today I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, and this is the Rise and Conquer podcast. This is the podcast where which have mindset, self development and becoming your higher self mix soon with a lot of laughs, plus behind the scenes of my life running two businesses and being among Think of us as the perfect combo of brunch with your besties mixed with self development. No matter where you are in your journey, We're here to help you be curious, pull yourself out, and embrace radical self awareness. If you're ready to get into the driver's seat of your own life and stop letting life past you by, then you're in the right place. Hello and welcome back to the rac Potty. Today is the second episode of our behind the Bis series and I am sitting down with Alex and H's production and logistics manager. Now, we had to put a bit of a subtle thread in the Facebook group to see what you wanted to know from this series, and most of the questions were actually about production, forecasting and all that sort of stuff. So I'm really excited to bring you this episode. We we get so transparent, don't we into you? Literally, I'm surprised you let me keep some of it in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like I was just like, go, go right ahead, because I think that's even like, that's my brand, that's en H is like, we want to be transparent. We want you guys to see exactly, you know, how things work. And also I'm really proud how things work, so I'm not worried, if you know, if that makes sense, Yeah, so true. So we chat pricing and profit margins, finding and building relationships with good manufacturers, perfecting our products through sampling hidden costs of bringing a product to life. I was actually like, when Alex was saying to me, I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, good to know.
Speaker 1: It actually happened a lot. It was like, oh, very interesting, and forecasting so much more. But guys, your response to like just the whole thing, the NH clad, this series and everything, I just I have goosebunds, Like it's just it makes me so happy. I just once so we did the actual announcement post of the Seven Rules. I think it was on Wednesday, didn't he try on NH. And then once I went to bed, I just like sat reading all the comments and seeing how much of you were engaging and so exciting, and oh, it just it makes me so happy. Obviously, so much has gone into this collab, and you know, like we said in the first episode, like I feel like I felt really weird about it from the start because I was like, it's my own brand, why would we collab? And then you know, Mel had to and if you haven't listened to episode one and go listen to it, Mel fully went into it, and so I was like, okay, cool, like let's do it. And then to actually do like to actually plan it out and launch it and do all their things. Oh my god. It's just it's like reinvigate, like reignite it like something inside me, which is really cool. Like I've been so excited and of course I'm so excited for everything, and H does yeah, but it's almost like made me, you know, really get so into everything. And really, I don't know, am I saying about it? Toude. Now I love it because it's almost like you've always had to wear three hats with R and C your personal brand and end H. But this is allowing you to go so deep into n H because it's two hats at the same time, so you're able to give so much time to it. But it's not a stressful experience dedicating the time. Oh my god, you just you articulated that so well. Thanks you so much, and that's how you feel. Thank you very much. Yeah, No, so true. And I think also it's interesting because like my whole goal for this year was like Georgie putting her CEO pants on, and then we've gone straight in with a collab where I have never been so creative in n H. Yes, but I love it so much because not only have I got my little CEO pants on, but also I've been so creative in this campaign because it's mine. Yeah, and just because I can. Yeah, And I think that's even Like I was on the phone to one of our like our e comm lead guy, and he was like, okay, so just for a bit of contact and you tell me, like what what do the flavors And if you guys don't know, we've announced the flavors, so go and check them out.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm so upset these a limited edition. Like, I'm so upset I picked the fucking best flavors, guys. I literally said to Joji this morning. I'm like, oh, so you're bringing them back, right, And she was like no. I'm like no, I tear one drop limited edition and she's like, are you kidding? And it's funny because even I thought, then, fuck, have I really fucked up here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Because these are literally the best, but I cannot stress they will not be back, like they're not going to be in the full range. So this is why I'm like, oh my god, I'm so excited. But anyway, fucked up there, but we'll deal with that. What was they saying? Oh yeah, He's like okay, so tell me what the seven Rules has to do with the flavors and I'm like, they have nothing to do with each other. And he's like he's very data driven. He's like okay, so, and I'm like, that's the whole point of this collab. It's my collab, so I could just do what the fuck I want and he was like about to combusta. It's like okay, my brain doesn't and I'm like no, Like the messaging is this is obviously bringing out a Georgie edit of my favorite flavors, which we've killed the flavors, but in true Georgie fashion, because it's Georgie. It's like my brand is that's gonna be It's gonna be so much more than just flavors. Yeah, it's gonna be the way I show it. It's gonna be how like the new standard of myself. And also if I have the opportunity to bring more value to my community, you bet I'm gonna do it. Yeah, So, like, why wouldn't I have fun with this campaign? Why wouldn't I bring in another aspect that is so me? Like it like to me, it just all makes sense in my brain. But I can understand from like an outside perspective, you'd be like, what is happening right now? But also that's what's cool because I'm like, only me and my community get it, and it's like cool. Yeah, I'm happy with that because like, I really only care about them. I love this so much. Well, you want to tell us about the seven rules?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, okay, so of course you can go on and h's social because we've got some really gorgeous Oh my god, Mick just did the best on the design for this campaign, and I cannot wait to like for her to unpack that in her episode. I think that's next, Yes, yeah, next Tuesday. But the seven rules. So number one, and guys, this is I don't know if you guys have noticed, but like I've really had a bit of an up level in the last you know, three months. I think it's safe to say we've all and so this is really a reflection of like what that has looked like. So Rule number one, shift your internal dialogue. This rule is basically about it's so simple. It's so simple, yet it is so overlooked of if you think about how you speak to the people you love and how much you lift them up and how much you you know, give them love through that through your language, and then how much you don't do that to yourself, and it's so sad to me, and it's and the reason why I brought that in is because I've realized, literally only three months ago, that so much of my internal dialogue was shame of me, shaming myself, which I did not even realize. So huge evolution for me right now is making sure my internal dialogue matches you know how I would want to speak to my best friend, and that's it's it's so simple, but it's so huge. Next rule, keep the promises you make with yourself. This has been fucking epic for me because when we keep the promises we make for ourself, we build self trust and then this shows our self that, like our word is law, and what we say we're going to do, we're going to do. So when we say something, we then go and do the thing. It's like this little circle. So I love it so so important. Number three, turn up the volume of your intuition. You guys know, I'm all about listening to your intuition. And I think so many times, you know, like if your best friend was in your ear and she's telling you, don't date that guy. He's a fuck boy, don't you know? Like and she's you know, she cares about you, and she's telling you, like, let's be honest, you do ignore her sometimes, but it's like your intuition is like your little bestie in your ear and you've got to listen to her. Number four, stay true to your boundaries. All I'm gonna say to this rule is if you're not respecting your boundaries why do you expect anyone else to just a little bit of number five dish out the compliments, So kind of going with number one of like, I just feel like we are so quick to pep everyone else up and give out, you know, beautiful language to other people, but we don't do it to ourselves. So I want to challenge you, guys, look in the mirror, look into your own eyes, and give yourself a compliment that you fucking mean do you feel scared? So scared I tear. I want you to update us in the next episode of how you went with that? Yeah, okay, number six. Know your priorities. So this is like a funny one bit of like, for example, if you're bestie had a europ holiday plan that you know she was so excited for. That's going to give her so many amazing experiences. And then there's these like bougie shoes on sale, like some Prota shoes or some shit, You're going to keep her focus and you'd be like, this could literally be your your fund, this could be your sale crozer fucking trip, you know, like, and then you're just keeping her focus and she's like, Oh, you're so right, that's what we can do to ourselves. So first of all, you'll get clear on what your priority is, but then like you know, keep yourself to it because if you don't do it like you're it's like no one's going to do it sort of thing. The last one, and my favorite one is give your self permission to go after it. I love this one. So it's like, you know, how a tear We like we poll people, We're like what do you think? And like we're always like go to our best to be like, oh, this is the dilemma, what do you think? And I feel like we can waste so much time and energy and it's like, imagine if we just gave that permission, because all we're looking for we already kind of know what we want to do, but we want someone else to be like, yeah, go and validate validation. So imagine if we gave that to ourselves, like how much time and energy we would save and then how much further along we'd be because we're constantly moving. And I honestly think that is like that's life changing in itself, and like my kind of big thing with this and I just want to say it because I think it's so beautiful, is like if you think about it, if you don't risk the failure, you'll never have the chance to succeed. So if you're constant stopping asking a million people, waiting for validation, you're not like you're not taking risks, you're not moving forward, You're never going to have the chance to succeed. I feel like you'll also be constantly behind the curve, Like in a business sense, if you waited to upholl every single person before you start a business or make a decision to shift the way your business is going, You're not going to be at the forefront of anything. You're going to be with the rest of the pack. And that makes it so much harder one hundred and ten percent. And also it's like, I just don't think it's feasible to every single life decision you have to go fucking poll people or get validation. Like I don't want to live a life like that personally. So those are the seven rules. Go check them out on NH's Instagram, get around them. I'd love to know your thoughts. And even let's put a Facebook post in and ask the RNC community just like what some of their rules are for showing up for themselves as their own best friend, because you know these are mine, but I'd love to hear you guys, and I just I think you have so many interesting points too, So we'll do that. Go to the Facebook group if you're interested. So, guys, also, before we get into the episode. On Tuesday was the start of the astrological year. We literally started, you know, the first zodiac sign, which is aries. First of all, fucking love Arias. That is like fire energy. It's like that's me and action that is me energy. So I'm so excited. But it's also the start and it's really funny because I was talking to Andrea. She is our resident psychic. You can find her at Andrea Sarah dot Taro, Thank You to you Will of course Papa and show notes. And she's one of my really good girlfriends from you know, I've known since I was sixteen and to see her grow and evolve and become the beautiful human she is. And I often go for her for readings because she's incredible, but she always puts she always gives us some guidance, so I asked her. I was like, the RNC community would love some guidance. We're literally starting the year fresh and this is a really cool time materia because if you think about it, if you year hasn't kind of gone off how you thought it would go off, or if you even feel like a bit stagnant, it's like this is actually this gets to feel like jan first for you if you want, if you want it, I love it, and I wouldn't want that. I love that because even I feel like before this, I'm like I was just warming up and now I'm like, nah, go time. Try Literally, when you're a kid and then you lose the first round in game, you're like, it was practice, literally, And so I just think it's really cool energy. So she's gonna give us a reading and then we're gonna get straight into the episode with Ali Enjoy.
Speaker 4: Hello, my loves, Welcome to Airy Season, the first zodiac sign of the calendar year, and oh I am so ready for this energy and you guys are gonna love it. This fire sign is the go getter, the get this stuff done, the motivation that we have all been waiting for, and it is finally here. This area season is a perfect time to even have a little bit of a reset on your vision for twenty twenty three. What you want to achieve what you are working towards, kind of get clear on the energy that you want to embrace for the next twelve months, and like really kind of even like cutting stuff out that is like, Okay, we know this is not working, this is not for us.
Speaker 2: We're gonna let this go and.
Speaker 4: Really reprioritize our energy this year and for the next twelve months. Area Season isn't fire signs. So there's going to be more passion around your love life, there's going to be more drive around your work goals. There's going to be a clearer vision around those things that you really want to work towards but are unsure how to so over the next two weeks or even a little bit longer is the perfect time to get those feelings of motivation off the ground. So taking action towards anything that you've kind of had in the back of your mind or in the pit of your stomach that you're like, yeah, want to do that, but not really feeling it. Airy Season is here to support you with any new goals or visions, or reignite some old flames that you really want to like reinvest in. But it's really important to make sure that you're feeling that fire in your tummy as as that is going to be, You're indicated that that is for you and that is where your energy needs to be. So trust in your intuitive pull, and trust in your desires and your passions, especially around airy season.
Speaker 2: Enjoy my loves.
Speaker 1: Alex, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me excited, nervous, a bit nervous.
Speaker 1: It's going to be amazing. I'm so excited you're doing this because you have such a huge role here at NH And to be honest, sometimes I don't actually know what you do.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I sometimes I don't know what I do either.
Speaker 2: I just do it.
Speaker 1: I just get it done. So I'd love for you to tell the audience what you do here at end Hage and just a little bit, you know, a little bit more about you. Let's get to know you.
Speaker 3: So I'm Alex.
Speaker 5: My official job title is Production and Logistics Manager at Naked Harvest.
Speaker 1: Sounds very important.
Speaker 5: It is, but it's not limited to that, so I'm kind of across all different departments really here. I joined about a year ago. I think I've been here for a year now. It's quite crazy.
Speaker 1: I feel like you're fast, Yeah, yeah, I remember super fast, but yeah, amazing, that's same. Tell us, Like what does your role actually entail? Like, what's the nitty gritty what does the day in the life of Alex look like?
Speaker 3: So day in the life of me and my role.
Speaker 5: I get into work about six forty five because you know, just can't wait to be here. Have a coffee because I'm not approachable until I've had a coffee, So.
Speaker 1: Have a clarity coffee.
Speaker 5: I know, So for the sake of the team, have a coffee. Yeah, and then I'm pretty much into emails, So I get a lot of emails, especially being production, a lot of our supplies are based overseas, so a lot of my emails will come through overnight, which I need to prioritize anything that's superurgent, which might be product approvals, order confirmations, any production issues that are coming up and might like affect the flow and if we're to get something on time. So the critical path, the critical path that I'm on everyone's bums about.
Speaker 1: So Alex basically organizes like all our packaging, the logistics of getting the products in and out of the warehouse, development as well yasing with like all our wholesales product development. You do so much? Actually, yeah, how you do it all? Yep? Wearehousing and she's always on our asset. Yeah, She's like I needed this yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like and then they'll be George's changed her mind. I'm like, sorry, that's not allowed today.
Speaker 2: I'm not having that.
Speaker 1: And then she's like, you've got ten seconds get this to jazz and then get it to me. And I'm like, fine, God, I know.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: Also, me and Alex know each other from when we were teenagers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Cooper's wife is actually a really good friend of mine since we were about thirteen.
Speaker 3: So Georgie and Cooper, I've.
Speaker 1: Bicked her parties with Alex and I was like, like sixteen, I've a dan. So if you're wondering the banter, that's because I just want to.
Speaker 3: Make So we've known each other a long long time.
Speaker 1: We go, Yeah, we have a lot of fun. But Alex, so she does she creates these like critical paths where it's like, if you want a product launched by this time, she will backtrack and then tell you know, us the team, the key dates, when the packaging needs to be in, when we have to you know, start certain processes, and so it really is logistics of the products, of the warehouse of everything in that side of the business.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that critical path is like our bible. Yeah, keeping everyone on track.
Speaker 1: I never I never actually looked at it.
Speaker 5: I put it a fairy few buffers there, knowing Georgie and Coope.
Speaker 3: You need the.
Speaker 1: Bit of fun, I know.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's important for it and making sure everyone's across it. If that means I have to be on top of everyone, then that's what I do.
Speaker 1: You need to all right, Alex, So let's chat product development, maybe talk the audience through how to find a good manufacturer, so someone to create the product or you know, in our case, fill the product and what that looks like to create a good relationship.
Speaker 5: So this can be a hard part, especially trying to source a new supplier. Say you don't your current supply base can't do what you need them to do, trying to find a new supply can be quite hard.
Speaker 3: But I guess I do a lot of research.
Speaker 5: I use my network, So if there's supplies I've previously work with that are suitable, I'll approach them. Often if they can't do it, they can actually connect you with suppliers that can so that kind of forms a little bit more of a trust there as well. But I'll basically look at their customer profile, their company profile, their certifications, their ethical standards, you know, making sure everything aligns with us, and then if I feel that's all up to scratch and it's good, I'll start the chats with them to see what they can do. And generally you'll then go into like a sampling process which will basically determine the quality of product they can produce.
Speaker 1: For you as well, and if you then will go ahead with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: So sometimes I'll approach two to three different supplies.
Speaker 3: For the same product, yeah, just to get a good idea.
Speaker 5: I don't believe like just approaching one and having all your eggs in one basket. It's really good to have like a broad supplier base in that sense as well.
Speaker 1: Alex, let's chat my collection and the sampling process with packaging, because I know, you know, me a bit of an extra bitch, and I wanted things to be special if I'm going to do my own collection. I was like, let's spice it up here. And I didn't actually give you any direction that. I was just like, let's make it extra exciting tell us about you know, that's a whole new I guess sampling process. Tell us about that specific to my collection.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you definitely didn't really provide us with much to go off.
Speaker 1: Small, but I'll take it. But I think this is like what are you paid for?
Speaker 3: I know, right, like what is my job?
Speaker 5: I think this has probably been one of the most exciting ones to actually work on. So in terms of the product, we had to narrow down products we wanted to do, including the accessories. Yeah, so we had a few different options in mind, and then I think the print that we decided to go with. We worked really closely with Mick on that one as well, and mixed great inning you and what you love and well Mike also aesthetic as well, works across R and C, so she has such a great concept of like me as a person is really a mixture of NH and R and C.
Speaker 1: So I think this was actually really exciting, you know, project for her because we really got to combine like my two personalities and.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what it is and how the packaging looks. But I think because the packaging was so different, it's not straightforward, you know, there's extra features on it. It was the sampling process was super important on this one.
Speaker 1: Especially like with the quality. Yes, obviously you know it especially for a product that is holding food, you have to make sure you know the quality. And then also because we have certain elements that are really key to like our values as a business too that I know, that process was like yeah, it's a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So even it came down to like the font size or the way the fonts sat on the packaging, even just like the other little features like is it the correct size and it's like the smallest feature on it, the way the print looks, the direction, like is that correct?
Speaker 3: We changed that a few times.
Speaker 5: I had the supplies sent through a couple of different print files so I could confirm the direction and even the.
Speaker 3: Size of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So it's like those nitty gritty details we had to confirm to get what we wanted. And it looks great, like everything thing looks nice, it looks correct.
Speaker 1: And then I know, even like the little foil detail with the side of the packaging, you know, we had to go back and forward with that because again it's something we've never done.
Speaker 5: No, we didn't even know if it could be done. Especially on the like food packaging. Yeah, like is it going to impact the food packaging? But the supplies were great. They were like, yeah, we can do it it. So they just sent us samples to confirm and even like came down to like the foil, like the size of it, the way it looked, is it slightly like much like that can't be happening. So it was really about quality as well, like our expectations because you know, this is an important range, so it has to be perfect.
Speaker 1: And also with the accessories, did we did we think of anything? I know, I was so set on the hand mixer because that's my baby, and I was like, I was like, let's do it in a pattern, let's do it in pink. So of course the hand mixer, but maybe tell the audience about how we were sampling different tumbler ideas. And I know at one point we were even talking about a water bottle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the hand mixer and the tumbler actually came last. So we were thinking the shaker bottle, and we were thinking a towel, and then it was a headband and I was left feet.
Speaker 1: I was so set on this headband and Alex was like stop I'm just gonna like, stop.
Speaker 3: You right there.
Speaker 1: I was like, trust me, everyone wouldn't love a headband. But and see this is there needs to be a Marius of like me being the creative, of me being like I want this, and then I want this in my collection and Alex actually being able to execute it and actually it being you know, sustainable in the process of you know, what the collection would look like.
Speaker 5: And so I think you've got to consider as well, like what works well for the business.
Speaker 3: So like we've never done headbands before, so like why would we do it?
Speaker 5: You know, shake a bottle, yes, we do a shake a bottle, but a shaker bottle is a shaker bottle, you know, like you can't do too much to it. So the hand mixer was Georgie's idea when we first brought it out.
Speaker 1: So I just want to put that on record.
Speaker 5: Adding that to the collection is very g you know. And we could add that print to it, and then even the tumbler.
Speaker 1: Do and let's even talk about the print of the collection because I remember I can't remember who was talking to and they were like, are you sure you want to do like a random print that has nothing to do with the flavors, and I was like, yeah, of course, because that's me. And even if you look at you know, I know we're getting off topic here, but even like the marketing perspective of like the seven rules of being your own best friend, Like to someone else it's like, oh, that's so left field, what do you what's even happening? But if you know me, you're like, oh, that makes so much sense.
Speaker 5: It's unique to you, like it's your collection, So we had to incorporate what's unique to you as well, you.
Speaker 1: Know, with finding that balance of like it has to, like you said, be like right Foot and Hagels.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it was fun, Like I think having those meetings was super important, having everyone's.
Speaker 1: Opinion, and we did get some samples of like some shaker bottles and some different accessories, and then it was also a thing of like having them together and seeing the collection together and also just intuitively be like, oh, I'm really excited about this. Yeah with Zelanes, I'm.
Speaker 5: Like, eh, So we kind of thought as well, like when we decided on hand mixer and Tumblr the tumblr you use for your protein shakes, right, yeah, you can use it where you pre work out what do you mix with those you use a hand mixer to mix them, so the whole range ties in together and it makes sense, you know, and they it's all best selling products as well. So I'm being that it's in a limited edition print. You're not gonna get it again either. You won't get it in that print again.
Speaker 1: You won't get it.
Speaker 3: All right, gotta get it out.
Speaker 1: Let's talk flavors. So this was a really interesting process because I know so with mango passion fruit, this was like a no brainer. We had actually tasted this. I think it was before your time.
Speaker 5: I think you taste it and confirmed it prior to me even starting.
Speaker 1: So it was just and I remember being like, this is my flavor, let's say this, and I bagged it. I was like literally and so I just remember and that was like one of the flavors where it's like an orgasm in my mouth, like it's so delicious. The protein was a bit of a different story because that took a while. I had a lot of different ideas. So my actual so the protein that we went with is caramel. We can't actually say that.
Speaker 3: White chok caramel.
Speaker 1: Swell, yeah, no flavor.
Speaker 3: Don't have a lawsuit on our caves.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing, guys, is if you're using a flavor that is like a copyrighted flavor, you obviously can't use that use that. So even though the flavor is carame milk like what the chocolate you would taste, it's we can't legally use that or like it's it's just iffy. So we just prefer not to.
Speaker 3: So that's why. Yeah, so we call it white chop caramel swell.
Speaker 1: Which is basically what it is. But then I had this thing of white chocolate macadamia because that is literally my favorite flavor. Macadamia really help one. So the issues with that is the nuts. And you'll actually notice we don't do any nut flavors because of the allergy issues of producing nut flavors, and our manufacturer has a pretty hard no on any nuts because then it creates a whole bit thing of like you know, the other flavors even being produced in a facility that does nuts.
Speaker 5: And we even tried to copy that flavor profile without using the nuts, and it just it just wasn't enough to scratch, you know, it just.
Speaker 3: Grows enough to our stands and everything. It's important.
Speaker 5: We don't like to put out anything we don't love. If we're not one hundred percent on it, everyone loves it.
Speaker 3: We don't bother.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it would also like we even did quite a few samples, and I was just like, look, you need to know where you've just got a completely change direction. So then the what was the other flavor?
Speaker 3: I liked? Bisc off?
Speaker 1: Oh, biscof. Yeah, everyone fucking loves biscof. Yeah, So then we're trying to do that and it just I don't know, it wasn't a vibe. It was strong enough, and I really wanted it's like you can just have this with water and milk, because that's something I do A big thing that I do with my health coaches. Like he'll be like, oh, you need to add some more protein in your day, and I would just help, like have a protein shake in the afternoon, and I don't want to have anything with it because I've got no time. So I really wanted to make sure you know my specific flavor. It's like it's strong enough that you can just have it with water and milk, and it's really gonna satiate that sweet tooth because that's what I gravitate towards with protein. Yeah, for sure, and we like my specific you know, the flavor we went with. We sampled that so many times too. Do you want to take us through like the actual sampling of food, like how long that can take and what that's like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So we'll basically have a meeting comes to new product development for our like proteins, pre workout ranges, and we'll decide on flavor profiles. So we'll give three or four different flavor profiles that we want to do. I will then go hit up our manufacturer say this is what we want to do. This is the timeline we're looking at, and then it's kind of going down to the nitty gritty details of like what's important in that flavor and in that product. So then they'll start working on that flavor for us. Yeah, and generally it will take three to four samples actually for us to be completely happy with it making.
Speaker 1: Those Sometimes it's too sweet, sometimes just not sweet enough. Sometimes it has like a weird after taste.
Speaker 5: That after taste is what often gets you. But we also need to make sure that we're hitting the vitamin levels you know and all yeah, elritionals that we pride ourselves on. So not only is it the flavor, but it's also making sure those other things are achieved, and sometimes the flavor can compromise that.
Speaker 3: So it's that fine line as well.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's just go back to the critical path situation just in case someone's interested, Like I'm not, but you're in spreadsheets.
Speaker 3: And not a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, Alex gives me spreadsheeting spreadsheets and I'm like you really, My vibe just went ten steps lower, like why would you do this to me?
Speaker 3: I know, but they're important, so it's important.
Speaker 1: So you fine. So we have critical paths where you, I don't know, give us, give us the audience. Sorry, like just a bit of an example of would actually let's just talk about my collection, because this is what this podcast is about. But give us the time frames of what the critical path looks like for each section.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I will start with a launch date. It's basically like a Google doc Excel where you formulate like each step and the key dates based on the amount of time allowed. So I'll put in the launch date at the very end, and then basically I'm working back like every little step, so it's like launch date. You know, the marketing side of things like content creation when the product needs land in our warehouse, Like it's detailed every single little step all the way up to product development. So our initial stage of wanting to develop the product. So when it comes to product development, that whole initial stage will allow maybe two to three months for that one, because you need to factor in the sampling, the package design as well, everyone signing off on it. When it comes to the flavor, that takes a manufacturer little bit of time. So I do allow a buffer, like a bit of time within that.
Speaker 1: And so with this sampling, guys like we will get the whole team around, everyone will taste it. We will have this like little sheet of paper where we're like, what did the texture feel like, what was the taste, what was the aftertaste? Like, there's a really big process to get the flavors perfect. So that's why we do factor in that amount of time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then once that's all confirmed, once we've signed off on the packaging, I'll then place an order with the supplier, so our supplies.
Speaker 1: I'm literally just laughing because we'll get down, like six months down the track and I'll be like, oh my god, Alex, I need to change the packaging or something like that. And she's like, you a literally killing me. And then sometimes I don't make it, and then sometimes she'll she'll be like, you're so lucky. This was the last day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you always cud of fine or I'm just saying like no.
Speaker 1: Or she tells me no, and I might go back into your office.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: That Yeah, that's a killer.
Speaker 1: I literally woke up the other night and emailed you, yeah, at like one am, and I was like, oh my god, Alex, I've got to change the packaging for this. I missed it, like I don't know, something so random. And then it was so lucky that it hadn't been printed yet.
Speaker 3: So yeah, actually that so lucky.
Speaker 5: I was going to place the po with the supplier that day, so it's lucky.
Speaker 3: New It's like, you know, now I've always trained you.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like yeah, intuitively, yeah, anyway, sorry, please proceed, Please bruised.
Speaker 2: It's fun.
Speaker 5: And then our supplies you to take anyway from thirty to forty days to actually produce the bulk, so depending on how much you order as well, you know, like that takes time, and then you've got shipping, so this can be a really frustrating part. Like once that's on a vessel. You have no control over how fast that vessel is moving or if it's delayed, or if it's got a trench, or if it gets stuck or if it gets stuck. Honestly, if it gets stuck at the port.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Alex will be like, oh my god, I see like losing hair moving.
Speaker 5: So I try to allow enough time for that because it really depends like if you're going LCL, if you're going containers, like containers can take longer, especially if it's got a transship so from.
Speaker 1: The containers like are cheaper, but they take longer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it really depends. Like there's a lot of people trying to pump stuff out, you know, and get it on vessels. So it was like I was on the supplies case, like you need to finish this and ship this out.
Speaker 3: My buffer time.
Speaker 5: Was just like slowly getting smaller and smaller, and my stress levels were getting bigger and bigger. And then I think one of the supplies are in a remote area they tranship that vessel did not leave for like eleven days. I was like, why is it not moving? I'm calling off freight for them, Like what's going on? Like I haven't seen this actually hate.
Speaker 1: To be the person dealing with ALO. Are you feeling that a tea?
Speaker 2: It's like, oh.
Speaker 3: Fuck, I'm like I need this here, and I need it.
Speaker 1: Like next week, I need it yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it can be hard, like I think, then that is frustrating.
Speaker 1: I think. So then after that, is there any and then we've got to get it filled by a matter of fact.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So then like the way we work at NHS, like there's two parts. So we bring in the empty packaging, but then you've got a factor in it getting filled. So we need to hand over the empty packaging two weeks prior to when we want to collect it. So I've also got to bring it in and then we'll have to send that off to our local manufacturer to get it filled, which is really great. We use local manufacturing for that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's still like it's like a two part process though. Yeah, and you've got a factor in the logistics of things not being on time and that it is a It's also really key that the marketing team is working with alex as well, because yeah, things need to shift and change, so like launches might be pushed back, and so we've got to be agile with like that happening, but we need to also be ahead so if that happens, we can swap something out or that sort of thing too. So it's really important team wise that even though you would think like Alex is you know we call it, there's a Georgie side, and then there's a Cooper side and n H and it's like Cooper side is Alex and logistics and warehouse and Georgie's like the marketing. But it's so key that the whole team is working together because there is just so many variables of different things happening.
Speaker 5: I'd say, like I'm that link between your side and Cooper's side. Yeah, you know so, I mean even like we can experience delays with our local manufacturer as well, like if there's blending issue, say the blend didn't blend well, like well they can't find an ingredient, or they can't find an ingredient, or they've even like got delays with ingredients. You know, like that just impacts our timelines even more. So you know, I can get a packaging here on time, but then I've got this whole other part which anything could go wrong that is out of my control or guys it's a control freak that's hard.
Speaker 3: To deal with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alex, such control guys. You know what's really funny is sometimes I think, and this is why I'm so happy we're doing this series, is like if you look on n H's Instagram, it's like, oh my god, everything's so fun and we have so much fun. And then I know, like everyone comments on anything I do with NHF like, oh my god, I'd love to work for the team and stuff. And then internally you don't, and there's so many moving parts. There's so many stresses, things get moved, and especially being in an e commerce product based business where we have launch dates, we have retail partners where you know we've got a stock certain stuff, but by a certain time, there's actually so much that goes on internally which you wouldn't see.
Speaker 3: It's chaos.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it can be really fall on and then like Alex's comes to me and I can tell that she's like fuck, and I'm like, oh my god, what's happened and she's like it's fine, blah blah, and like we've had to move like a whole launch date. Then I honestly wouldn't be surprised if my collection doesn't actually go.
Speaker 3: No, I think we're like, I think we've got it.
Speaker 1: I think we're so onto.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This has yeah, very about as a team work ahead more this year, Like that's been one of our biggest goals and it makes such a difference, you know, and no more changes last minute.
Speaker 1: That is my biggest goal right now is to work ahead because yeah, we're just not ahead.
Speaker 5: And because we launch so much product each year, it really is pretty much a lot in the works. At the same time, it doesn't your launch one in your stop.
Speaker 1: To keep things interesting. We like to keep things exciting and.
Speaker 3: I got to keep your team busy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And also the key is, like you're saying, being onto that critical path, like the two teams working together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, so well let's actually let's actually start getting really fucking transparent now. Yes, I wanted to include this question when me and here were you know, planning this episode of First of all, let's actually chat about like how we do pricing with our products because obviously this is you know, your department in the business, because you're the one who factors in all the costs. Actually, maybe do you want to talk about like what are the actual hitting costs and the cost that goes into logistics and creating a product.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I guess, like I'm no finance person.
Speaker 5: At all, but I guess the cost that I factor in obviously is like.
Speaker 1: Well, not so much like what you factor in, but like for example, when your side of like logistics and that sort of thing, because you do do the pricing with us of the products, Like what's the sort of things that especially the audience if they have a product based business, what should they be thinking about with costs and hitting costs?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you need to be thinking about like everything it costs you to get the product to your doorstep, you know, so that's all you're shipping your import Like what it actually costs you in aud to get it here?
Speaker 3: You know that conversion?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because everything is usually.
Speaker 5: Usc and the exchange rate can be really really bad. So it's really important, which is what I try to do in our buying is look at when the exchange rate is good and purchase then sometimes you can't help it, but you know, the better the exchange rate, the better.
Speaker 3: It is for you.
Speaker 5: And then we generally have to look at like operating costs as well. So when you're looking at pricing, like overall, what are you're operating costs behind that? But also another thing we have to factor in is the filling cost. So we pay for the packaging, but then we've got to pay for the actual filling of the product. So that's something I need to factor in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's almost like so many components. You can't just be like, oh, the product is this amount. It's the product is this amount, and then you have to factor in like shipping logistics, getting it here, filling.
Speaker 3: And then you pay GST as well.
Speaker 5: Because we buy from like a local manufacturer, we've got to pay GST on that as well.
Speaker 3: So the pricing could be this price.
Speaker 5: Okay, you've got to pay GST on top of that, but then we also have to pay GST as a business, you know, so it's factoring.
Speaker 3: When I do my costings, I'll look at an RP.
Speaker 1: Fuck joy like this is here, get me that, Alex, thanks for bringing that up. Fucking paying double GSD.
Speaker 5: Here, I know. But also like if something slightly wrong on the packaging, we'll have to most of the times we'll get a stick up.
Speaker 3: That's an extra cost that we didn't account for, you.
Speaker 1: Know, So I'm laugh I'm laughing at that so much because like we've had that, we've fucked something up on the packaging and we have to buy stickers to put it over the back. And this is why we now like get so many people to like proof read and or sometimes also it's a thing of like our manufacturer can't get it asserted an ingredient. We've got to change our formula, and.
Speaker 3: Then we have to get it like we've already got the packaging.
Speaker 1: And we're really big on like I'm not gonna especially for the eco conscious side of it, Like I'm not wasting a whole bulk of packaging that's just ridiculous.
Speaker 5: So you created, we can't create it. But I think outside the box sometimes.
Speaker 1: So and then also I want to talk about let's actually talk about the pricing of my collection, because you came in my office and you had a bit of a hard convo with me.
Speaker 3: We need to have a serious chat here, Georgie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk talked to like, let's actually just be very transparent and.
Speaker 3: Talk about that.
Speaker 5: So being that it's all product we've previously done, the difference was in it was the packaging, the prints that costs extra to do, you know, so.
Speaker 1: Actually it's actually a bit ridiculous what it is for playing packaging to.
Speaker 5: Foil that increase your cost to do a print, that increase your costs. So even though it's products, we range, the packaging alone in the prints.
Speaker 3: That actually cost us more.
Speaker 5: So we needed to factor that into it because you can't just base it off.
Speaker 1: So my collection, guys, when it will go live, you will see the individual products our price. It's very minimal in regards to the price increase. But how we price our products is off a formula that incorporates everything that Alex just spoke about of logistics, packaging. It's not like we just go, hmm, what should I price this product? I'm going to just slap a number on it. It's not that, it's like we have a certain formula that we apply and Alex you know, came to me and was like, you know, you can't just because it's your collection absorb it, especially with everything you know happening in the world and that sort of thing. So we had to have that interesting, you know, conversation.
Speaker 5: So it is such as us extra costs involved, you know, which you've got to decide as a business, can you absorb it or can you not absorb it? So I think that's important. I guess when you're starting your own business, if you're looking at higher quality products, you need to be factoring that into your costs as well.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's a huge, you know, conversation that we have had since COVID.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh sure.
Speaker 1: And Alex came in and was like, what are you guys doing.
Speaker 5: Because we were we kept getting price increases and we were absorbing it to the point it could have been quite bad. So it's a tough conversation to have because of course you don't want to make your customers pay more, but in order for us to keep delivering good quality products and keep doing it well, we have to, yeah, you know, and.
Speaker 3: That's important for everyone to factor in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is unless you're in the back end and internally it sometimes you like, yeah, you can't comprehend that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's why you know, even this whole series of like I really want nhat gain to know what goes into creating a product, yeah, and just to have the insight because also, so what we're talking about is like every single small business that you know who's product base or not product bases all these kind of logistical and internal things that you just yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Don't really ins and out of a business. Yeah, you don't want to be caught off guard.
Speaker 5: You know, you think you've got a really good product, it's costume nothing, but then when you actually get down to it, you're making no money on it.
Speaker 3: So I think it's cleek what it happens to a lot of people.
Speaker 5: So I think, you know, using our experience and letting letting everyone knows, Alex.
Speaker 1: Will be just real with you guys. So I hope you have enjoyed this very real and transparent conversation. All right, Alex, let's end this episode in a bit of a lighter know, and I actually generally interested in this. I want to know, So tell us what is the biggest fail you've ever had with like a product or like logistics. It doesn't have to be nhged just because I know you've got, you know, a whole career in other companies. But yeah, also it's fine if it's in age like, so happy for you to be.
Speaker 5: So this is going to be inevitable. Something is always gonna go wrong. You can plan all, you can have everything perfect. So in the case I'm thinking of the artwork was perfect. It showed all the correct placement of everything. This sample we confirmed that the supply made was correct, Like everything was correct. We got the bulk and one of the logos is just in random places all around the tube, and I'm just like.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm serious right now, I'm not.
Speaker 1: Myself.
Speaker 3: I'm like, tell me.
Speaker 1: About an r n C pretter. I am product fuck up.
Speaker 5: Like we couldn't even be mad because of what the logo stands for, you know, you kind of just had to laugh at oft ready to like pull my hair out.
Speaker 1: The logo was a life happens for the logo and oh my god, we literally got full bulk.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it was as a unit and I've checked it and I'm like straight on the phone to the supply like, what the hell is this. I'm like, did you even check it before you sent it to me? Why does it not look like the confirmation sample, Like that's the point of the confirmation sample. She's come back to me and gone, you didn't tell me where it's meant to be placed. I'm like, it's on the artwork and we did, and it's on the confirmation sample, and I'm just like I can't, Like I needed two coffees to deal with that one.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, at least five coffee and I'll have a heart attack.
Speaker 5: So then it was just working with the supplier on remaking it. You know, they agreed to remake it, and the remake stock is.
Speaker 3: Here, Like have we checked it? Yeah, look the warehouse he was going to check that one got a.
Speaker 1: Gen really quite scared. Yeah. I don't want to talk about fun and games though, I know, well it is funny for me.
Speaker 5: It's just one of those things though, it's like I always look at those things and it's like, Okay, what am I learning from this? What can I do to ensure this doesn't happen again in the next order across anything. So as much as it's like frustrating, I think it's a good learning experience, you know, like it.
Speaker 1: Can we really love learning amazing Yeah, well look we're always learning, Alex, and you do things amazingly and so proud of you and I'm so happy to be on this journey with you. I know it's a bit crazy at times, but we absolutely love it. And thank you so much for coming on and telling the RNC community about everything, and like I said, like, it feels really good for them to like fully see transparency in our logistics and how everything you know works before we go though, I would really love because I guarantee you there's going to be people who either have a small business who are dealing with these problems or you know someone who wants a similar career to you. And what would your piece of advice be for someone in that similar role.
Speaker 5: I would say, embrace the chaos and embrace the challenges, you know, like, just take it on board, go with it. You're gonna learn from it and you can only get better from it because it is going to be challenging. It is going to be chaotic. But that's what I find the best part about my role is and that's what I love the most about it.
Speaker 1: Alex fucking thrives on that shit.
Speaker 3: I do. I thrive stress and chaos and challenges And.
Speaker 1: You do, Yeah, you handle it really well. And it's about finding.
Speaker 5: That occasional swear words being heard around the office, but we get there.
Speaker 1: It's about finding that balance and also working with the team and being very like open with the communication about it all too exactly.
Speaker 5: I'm sure they all can understand what's going on just by me at my desk.
Speaker 1: So my emotions, Alex, thank you so much for coming on the RNC party. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Guys, Thank you so much for listening to another episode of the Rise and Conquer podcast. If you enjoyed it and want more, come connect with us on Instagram at Riseinconquer dot podcast and join our Facebook discussion group, a Rise and Concer podcast community. We're an independent podcast and we have a small team, so we do appreciate your time and support. If you have a spare moment, a follow or subscribe on whatever platform you listen to would be so amazing, And look, if you're feeling extra kind, a review on Apple Podcasts would be great