Speaker 1: I'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners on which this episode is being recorded, the combo marry people. We pay our respects to elders past, present and emerging and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Today I'm your host, Georgie Stevenson, and this is the Rise and Conquer podcast. This is the podcast where we ch have mindset, self development and becoming your higher self mix soon with a lot of laughs, plus behind the scenes of my life running two businesses and being among Think of us as the perfect combo of brunch with your besties mixed with self development.
Speaker 2: No matter where you.
Speaker 1: Are in your journey, We're here to help you be curious, pull yourself out, and embrace radical self awareness.
Speaker 2: If you're ready to get into.
Speaker 1: The driver's seat of your own life and stop letting life pass you by, then you're in the right place. Hi, everybody, welcome back to the potty today. We have such a fun self development episode for you, and it is all about triggers. You know how much we love unpacking triggers, don't we a tear?
Speaker 2: We love it.
Speaker 1: We love it, and so we actually put a call out on our socials and be.
Speaker 2: Like, tell us your triggers, let's unpack them.
Speaker 1: And A Tear was like, they're actually all pretty much the same. And it really came from this root of if someone copies you, you being annoyed of you know, that triggering you. And there was a lot of different things like if someone wears the same perfume or like a lot of a wide range of copying. Yeah, and so we thought, let's actually dive deep on this, and I'm not gonna lie. We went a bit rogue quite. I started talking about oneness and like nirvana. So it was like an interesting space where my brain was going. But I think that's what you do enjoy about these episodes, So look, we go right into this. And also what I love about these episodes is like me and A Tear aren't really giving you any answers. We're just like pondering on it with you, so you can step into curiosity. Yeah, and that is the biggest thing I want you to draw from this episode of like when you get a trigger, is instead of going straight to the reactivity of upset or disappointed or shame or guilt or all the things, it's like, can you just step into curiosity of like.
Speaker 2: Ooh, why is this annoying me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Or like what's happening here? And think of it that way rather than this is annoying me. See those two different eleancies. So that's the biggest takeaway here than me and a tier. Just give you a whole bunch of fucking different ideas.
Speaker 3: We're just throwing lots of theory down on it. Yeah, we got right into it.
Speaker 1: But before we get into the show recommendation sit here.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have two. Number one is they're actually both on Amazon Prime too.
Speaker 2: Number one is Amazon Prime sponsors.
Speaker 3: If you're listening, is there's a TV show on there called Citadel and it's new and it's like a bit of a spy one. I actually watched it because I was curious because it's now I think, like the most expensive TV show to have ever been made, and I just really wanted to see what.
Speaker 2: Happened in it that made itself.
Speaker 3: I was so expensive they ended up having to do reshoots, so I think the cost of the reshoots plus the original budget. And it's like they're all over the Europe in it. Some's in Spain, somes in Italy, London, everywhere. Pretty high profile actors, so it would.
Speaker 2: Have just been an expensive Why should they have to do reshoots? Do we know? I haven't been able to find out, come on it to you. I'll do something, all right. So that's my first recommendation. And so it's good.
Speaker 3: It's very good, very very good, very much so it was it's been actually released weekly and there's this is the last week, so we'll be finished by the time people's need to this, I think. And then my second recommendation is Air Movie, which is also on Prime Georgie Trying It got bored, but I loved it. I love like a little business sport kind of movie where you learn about how something got put together and how it worked. Yeah, your brain does work, like yeah, I frothed it. It was amazing. What's your recommendation?
Speaker 1: I ta actually recommended it this the other week, but I want to re recommend it because I watched Queen Charlotte on the weekend and it took me two weekends to get through because I only do Netflix on the weekend.
Speaker 2: But it was beautiful. It is amazing. It was such an interesting.
Speaker 1: Emotional movie that just really I was like, oh, that was just a good one.
Speaker 3: I agree, and just very I opening into I walk to I'm like, gosh, you really never know what someone's going through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's really funny because in Bridgeton, like the Queen gets a very surface level kind of angle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then to understand her story like, oh that's interesting. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: And then my second recommendation that is not a TV show because the tea is just fucking slammed you with those is something I have been doing. The reason why I don't really have a great recommendation is I have been really leaning back into just playing music. So I know we spoke about this like when you go through seasons of like self development, of course, and I have really noticed the part of me that has had like a lot of different ideas spiraling and felt really ungrounded. And I think in those moments, the last thing you want to do is add onto that with like noise, ease of a podcast, noise of a training noise, noise noise. It's like, in those moments, I truly believe it's like get back to the basics.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: Actually have a bit of a obsession with John Mayer right now, so random.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask you what you're listening to.
Speaker 1: So Tim loves live music and he often plays like people playing live shows and on YouTube. Something that keeps popping up as John Mayor playing came which one like gravity or like one of his famous songs, but he's playing it live and it's like the encore. So he's like, really jammin He's like, oh yeah, and I just vibe it. And so what I actually press is like John Mayer instrumental, so like no actual words. Oh I love that, And I'm just getting like a beautiful beat and I'll like, I'll play that on my walk or when I'm in the car, and it's just giving me some space.
Speaker 2: In my brain.
Speaker 1: And so I wanted to recommend to you guys. It's like if you are feeling those moments where you're like, oh, it's just like so much happening. There's so much happening in my world. It's like you have to lead in the way of okay, cool, I need to actually give myself some space, not try and add more things in.
Speaker 2: I love that. I'm with that. Let's get into the episode.
Speaker 3: Just some context for this episode. We put the call out on Stories a while ago now to the community because I thought it would be fun to do a podcast segment all on things that have triggered everyone.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 3: They were all the same, so I thought we'd just make it an episode. Something we actually noticed was the common theme is people get super triggered when someone copies them. I'm just going to read a few examples out so that everyone sort of gets it, but we get the vibe. Yeah, my mum always asks when what perfume I'm wearing ring and then buys it.
Speaker 1: This is literally my mom copies everything I do.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: Debby is like just like a walking clone, and I love it.
Speaker 3: I love a smell related one in high school when my friend bought the same body sprays me. I was pissed. Then this isn't a copy you want, but it's really funny.
Speaker 2: My ex is run.
Speaker 1: It was like a seagull taking off.
Speaker 2: Sorry that was so off copy. Get back on topic.
Speaker 3: When you're a dinner and your date chooses the same meal as you, when someone does the same thing after you tell them but they beat you to it, or go one up. My sister copying my interior design style, literally buying the same furniture. It's a replica. When I was going to do something but someone tells me not to do.
Speaker 1: It, but then they go, then they go and do it. It's so let's just fucking go straight and unpack this because we have had a lot of talks in the office about this, because you have said that previously cop some copying you had triggered you.
Speaker 2: Also, it's like breck a.
Speaker 3: Massive trigger for me when I would start doing something and then I would slowly.
Speaker 2: See people like trickle effect.
Speaker 3: If everyone starting to do it, I'd get super irritated. But it's something I worked through at a young age.
Speaker 2: What was like, what are the feelings so irritation, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Just real frustration and just like ugh, that's probably like my description of it is just like a bit angry and a bit like pissed and like because why though for me, yeah, what I've what I realized was that it obviously struggled to embrace myself wholly, and when I started to express aspects of myself that I worked hard to build up the confidence to express, and then I saw people almost ripping it off. I was like, but that's not you, Like, I did all this work to be able to embrace that part of me and you're just like copying it. But it doesn't mean to you what it meant to me, and that was my trigger. Yeah, but I feel like he can be so different with copying.
Speaker 1: So and I know there's like there's super surface level copying examples like the ones on DMS of like someone buying the same smelly or or it can be like really extreme where it's like they've copied your fucking business idea or like yeah, you know those ones.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 1: For me, I personally have never been too triggered with the copying thing. I didn't have sisters though I only have brothers, not a sister. Yeah, I don't know if that's like because in the office, that's what the girls said, like their sister's copying them.
Speaker 2: So I didn't have a sister.
Speaker 1: And see, even I'm gonna be really honest, probably in high school I was probably the one copying because I remember in high school just being so shit scared of doing anything outside of the box because it always felt like I was doing something wrong.
Speaker 2: So if anything, I was probably the one.
Speaker 1: Being like, fuck, how do I fit in? Yeah, So like I don't know, I'm kind of on the other end. And then even moving forward, like if we're talking here and now it's really funny to hear because literally just the team meeting I had before recording this, one of the girls brought in like a company, you know, similar to us copying such a direct idea, like word for word, And it's so interesting because I just felt nothing and we like we all kind of laughed and I literally said the words of, well, let's take it as a compliment. Clearly we're doing something right. And I truly like when I see someone kind of copying, I'm like, oh, I'm a trailblazer, yeah, and I get the vibes of like I'm going first. And also I know no one can actually ever copy me because I'm such an embodiment of myself that it's like, I don't know, it just feels like noise, Like it doesn't feel like it matters to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so for me in that moment.
Speaker 1: Even like I know that's that's like a more extreme example compared to like a more surface level example, But I don't know when I'm thinking about it. Don't you think the common thing here is like almost like a sense of like lack. Yeah, like you because for instance, if you were in a state of like full abundance when they were like a full abundance of there's enough for everyone, no one, Like I know, I'm so abundant and all good.
Speaker 2: It's like, why would you be worried? Yeah? Or am I overarched?
Speaker 3: No? No, I definitely understand what you mean, especially with like your more deep examples, like people copying business ideas for example, and like you, if you were in a state of abundance, you'd probably go more towards lean, more towards fact of like there could be five of my same businesses and it could all be making millions and millions and billions of dollars and there's still more in the world. Ye, Like it's never there's never gonna be enough. There's always more space.
Speaker 1: And like even going back to like my favorite slogan ever, slogan, my favorite quote ever of like no one is you and.
Speaker 2: That is your power. Yeah, Like I just.
Speaker 1: Think you can't ever actually copy someone, Like it's I just think especially and this is hit.
Speaker 2: This is I'm gonna fucking probably trigger you all here.
Speaker 1: If you're worried about people copying you, I guarantee you you're not actually in your full expression of yourself because otherwise Why would you be worried when you're in full expression of yourself.
Speaker 2: You're just like cool, it's me, I'm here, this is it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no like lack, there's because it's always like cool. I just get to lock into myself. I just get to like be me and there's no problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whereas others, why would it tricky you? I think, am I getting really dated?
Speaker 1: What's happening right now?
Speaker 2: That is a really good way to look at it.
Speaker 3: And the other way is almost that if you've attached like, for example, the surface level ones like smellies, or I know someone who got really triggered when someone got the same piercingism or the same tattoo and that sort of stuff. Is if you've attached your identity to external things, and then other people start to emulate those external things, you will get triggered and rattled because you'll think they're trying to be you and you don't have your identity and that's your identity, and you haven't quite realized that your identity isn't those things.
Speaker 2: I get you. That's so true.
Speaker 1: Like let's even give the example just for context of like let's say in my bio, it says like Georgie manifestation coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I see like.
Speaker 1: One of my best friends being like, I'm blah blah blah manifestation coach, and I'm like, what the fuck, No, You're not manifestation coach.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, not that I would, Yeah, that would.
Speaker 1: Yeah in saying that, that's yeah, but it's because I have identified so solely with no, I'm the manifestation coach.
Speaker 3: Interesting, and you've boxed yourself in and you haven't. You don't know who you are aside from those things, So you don't recognize your power as you You see you as external items that sit around who you actually are.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so if you're two last, but I am like, I'm this perfume, I'm this this style, I dress like this, I drive this car, and then if someone went and did all those things, you would feel like you're being replaced because you don't actually recognize your true power and a.
Speaker 2: Lot of self worth on that identity. Yeah those things.
Speaker 1: Han, I'm gonna take it one step deeper. This is really fasty what done? Is it?
Speaker 2: Also?
Speaker 1: I don't know when you get like triggered or that sort of thing of someone being the same of you, don't you think it's like so if you think about spiritualness, spiritualness, spirituality, it's like the concept of spirituality and there's no end point. But let's say there's an end point of like nirvana or fucking that sort of thing, like if you're a monk. It's kind of this concept that not like oneness, like the concept of we are all energy, we're all the same thing, and it's like you are me, I am you, and no one is better, no one is worse. Like this concept of oneness, that's what I would say, is like the epitome of spiritualness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would you agree? Yeah, let's let's disagree with this. You wait to sign.
Speaker 1: I guess that's my interpretation. I should say. It's like even this concept of you projecting that someone is separate to you, Yes, and I believe of like if you're seeing people as separate to you, that's such like a step in the wrong direction because in the realm of spiritualness, it's like we're all actually one.
Speaker 3: So why are you trying to run away from everyone?
Speaker 2: Or like yeah, like you're why does that matter? Yeah? Is that just really deep it is very deep. I don't know, for a quiet let's go back to the step.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, yeah, I don't know that's even like that concept if you think about it. I also just think of if we're talking triggers from an overall sense, I think any trigger is just.
Speaker 2: A sign post for you.
Speaker 1: So it's like, oh, why am I triggered here?
Speaker 2: And it's like, I don't believe that.
Speaker 1: Someone copying you is always going to mean the same thing of what you know, me and a Tira talking about Yeah exactly. But I think it invites you to have a look of like, what's it actually triggering here? Triggering here? Is it because I have so much worth on this identity that this other person is like coming on my territory. Is it of the sense of you not actually fully accepting yourself or is it just a signpost of I guess what's important to you? Or like maybe you just need to go deeper on this issue of like why would this trigger me?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Another thing that comes to mind is almost that some people might have in their head that they can't.
Speaker 2: Copy other people.
Speaker 3: Oh, and then when someone copies them, they get triggered because if say one of their friends bought a pair of shoes that they really liked, they wouldn't allow themselves to buy that pair of shoes because they don't want to copy their friend. But when someone does it to them, it's like, well, why can you do that? But I can't do that, Like I don't do that to people, so why are you doing it to me? But it's like you can do whatever you want if a.
Speaker 2: Self permission thing or I love that. Yeah. See that's even.
Speaker 1: Like I'm so of the like of the view that you just can't like there's if you think about all the ideas and all the things in the world, like it's already done, Like you really can't reinvent the wheel.
Speaker 2: No, And so that's.
Speaker 1: Even like like just ideas with you know, business or whatever is I'm not necessarily always doing the most unique, the most original innovative, No, because it's like that's not always going to be the best thing for your business. No, Because it's like also a lot of people have gone through a lot of fucking challenges to tell you.
Speaker 2: What's the best thing exactly.
Speaker 1: And so that's even something to think about of like how what's your relationship with quote unquote cope copying other people and obviously, like if it's fucking word for word, that's plagiarism. Yeah, something different. But even if I think of some of the best ideas we've had in like and h or rn C, they've usually come from And I even remember Mel talking about this on her podcast that we did Behind the Biz of Like she will often look at other industries and what they're doing well and like take that of just like you know, a point or something, and put it in a completely other industry. Yeah, And it's like you're sourcing ideas, you're getting inspiration, and that's inspiration. It's like, can it just be inspiration? But also I think a big thing with quote unquote copping is like always locking into like is this me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Does this actually come from me and my heart space? And that is when you're like really locked into your intuition. And that's even like if we're talking clothes and like sense of style. Yeah, I recently have like noticed a shift for me to dress a little bit differently. And I have like a bit of a Pinterest board. Yeah, and anytime I buy a piece of clothing, I look on that Pinterest board and I'm like, oh, is this my style? Is this what I'm feeling? Or am I just excited about the marketing.
Speaker 2: That's actually a really good idea? Yeah, And it's like just.
Speaker 1: Coming back to that like some questions or whatever it is for you, like coming back to like, oh is this actually me? Or am I just getting excited? Because that's even like with ideas and business or like just fucking social media. Yeah, you're getting hit. You're consuming so much that it can be like so overwhelming and like you want to do all the things.
Speaker 3: You don't even know what thoughts are yours anymore kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's when it's like it's time to like go inwards. It's time to strengthen my intuition. And I just feel like you can't get it wrong if you do that.
Speaker 2: M I love that.
Speaker 3: So what are your tips for when someone is getting triggered? Let's maybe go a little bit more to the surface level copying, because that seems to be more often. Okay, Yeah, well I think number one, go inwards on why you're being triggered. It Is it because you're coming from a lack mindset? Is it because you've attached your concept of self to that external item? Is it because you don't allow yourself to copy others or take inspiration from elsewhere.
Speaker 1: I think it's about shifting your mindset of like is this Can this actually just be a form of flattery or a form of you gaining evidence of like oh cool, I'm actually trailblazing here or I'm making waves. Like that's actually what I thought in our meeting. I was like, Oh, that's really cool that NH is like a trail baser in the industry, Like we're we're a company that people look to us for ideas and like really bringing.
Speaker 2: Back to like hmm, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like that gets to be it because also it's really funny. I was even noticing myself wanted to then go on social media to check out what the girls had said, but I stopped myself because I think that is truly a thing of you can get so in your head about it. Yeah, you can get in a place of like people copping me ah and yeah, like almost like fear based thing. And it's even like you know, Fee was saying on My Human Design of like fear mongering is such a huge thing for me, And it's like not letting yourself getting a mindset of fear of oh well, why bother even innovating? Yeah, when people are just gonna fucking copy me, Like, I think that's not a good mindset too. And I truly like my core belief is like I'm so uniquely myself that I just get to keep evolving and keep moving and no one's ever going to catch me because I keep evolving. Yes, I keep focusing on myself. My businesses are such a reflection of that too, that we're not looking outside and that's why we're tray a little blazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that.
Speaker 3: And even with things like that, if someone's copying you, people are gonna know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I just don't think you should. I think that this.
Speaker 1: Is like a thing where I'm like, I just don't have space in my brain for this.
Speaker 2: And I think if you have.
Speaker 1: Space in your brain for this, it's like, what problems are you normalizing?
Speaker 2: And do you want to get better problems as to every question? Now get a better problem to every question. I'm sorry. This is like a new me of saying, doing the work.
Speaker 4: If you know, you know, yeah, Yeah, I feel like that's I feel Yeah, I feel like we've hit the nail on the head but also let's open up this discussion to the RNC community in the Facebook group because I generally would like to know because also I do want to.
Speaker 1: Say, if it just fucking pisces you off, also valid, you know, especially if you're like a creative and like you put a lot of heart and soul and it's like, you know, someone copies you. We're obviously not talking about plagiarism though, that's like, yeah, that's a big no, and that's something that's not tolerated.
Speaker 2: But you know, I feel like you get in the vibes. Thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for listening to another episode of the Rise and Conker podcast. If you enjoyed it and want more, come connect with us on Instagram at Riseinconquer dot podcast and join our Facebook discussion group a Rise and Concer podcast community.
Speaker 2: We're an independent.
Speaker 1: Podcast and we have a small team, so we do appreciate your time and support. If you have a spare moment, a follow or subscribe on whatever platform you listen to would be so amazing. And look, if you're feeling extra kind, a review on Apple Podcasts would be great.