Speaker 1: Life Uncut acknowledges the traditional custodians of country whose lands were never seated. We pay our respects to their elders past and present.
Speaker 2: Always was, always will be Aboriginal Land. This episode was recorded on de rug Wallamuta Land.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, and we'll welcome back to another episode of Life Uncut.
Speaker 3: I'm Brittany, I'm Laura. You don't want to keep talking about my crooks.
Speaker 1: No, you've already offended me in my fashion today, I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 3: I said, your shoes look like the inside of a big.
Speaker 1: No, you cook your quote. So what the fuck are they? They are the ugliest things I see. They look like a whitehead pimple. And I said, these are my five dollar slides from cotton on body and I love them. You know what they say, you can't buy taste. I love that This is coming from Laura, at the least fashionable person in the world. Okay, before we get into the episode, I'm unwell and I know I sound unwells. I want you guys to know that I know that you know that I know that I'm unwell and sound needs you.
Speaker 3: Actually, I'm fine, not.
Speaker 1: In my ears. And also Keisha told me to, and she's the producer, so I trust him.
Speaker 3: Moll, Yeah, I don't trust anything.
Speaker 1: I don't like we pay her, so I need to listen to what she says. I think I'm an unhealthy person. I don't really eat vegetables lately. I don't think I've been looking after myself, and I think that this is my body being like pull your finger out, because I just feel like I hit the my mid thirties and I got really lazy. And I've never been that person. I've always been like so into my health, so into my fitness, and all of a sudden, you hit mid thirties and you're like, I don't want to get up early and.
Speaker 3: Go to the gym anymore. Who does, though?
Speaker 1: But I think I need to do.
Speaker 3: You know what it is.
Speaker 2: The reason why it's stopped for you now is not because you hit your mid thirties. It's because you're in a happy relationship. It's like as soon as you bag it, as soon as you get one and you've got them locked in, then you're like a hahf fuck yeah.
Speaker 3: But I meaning the gym for not me.
Speaker 1: I'm in a relationship with someone whose job it is to be fit and healthy.
Speaker 3: Well, it's good that he's doing it for both of you, That's what I said. I was speaking of Si.
Speaker 2: I just went into the bathroom. This is way too much information. Yeah, okay, so we work. We're recording this at our a RN offices and this is like a shared communal studio. He has three cubicles. There's three toilets, and I went in and I was like, I need to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 3: Walked into the middle one and.
Speaker 2: Somebody had absolutely decimated it, like it's not functioning. I had to go and speak to the lady at reception, Daisy, who we love, and explain that it wasn't me, in front of an entire group of people who had done that, and just to report it, you know, because that's the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: People see you go into the bathrooms as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I walked in.
Speaker 2: I was the last person to come out, and everyone's gonna think that that was me. And this is me just putting it out there to the world. Daisy, if you're listening to this, I didn't do that, But then I felt like I was justifying it, and then I over justified it, and now I'm in this organisation where I spoke for so long about not doing it that everyone thinks I did.
Speaker 1: That is something that someone that decimated a toilet would say, that's the problem if you did that. I mean, if I did that, I would do the same thing. I'd be like, just so you know that was not me?
Speaker 2: Like, what's the perfect amount of under explaining something so that you don't take responsibility for it? Like you want to acknowledge that it's happened, but you don't want people to think it was you. How far do you go with the explaining You're just like, hey, guys, there's something wrong with cubicle number two?
Speaker 1: Double down on the decimation? Were you like, I sorry, clogged, I'm going to commit to it.
Speaker 2: I went I wanted to deep explanation around how it wasn't me, which made everyone stand there thinking it, well, like, how.
Speaker 1: Do you know you so much about it? How much time to expect it? The decimated toilet?
Speaker 2: I was like, look, it looks like this color on the bottom and then this color on top, and then there's lots of toilet paper and I don't know how it's happened, but somebody left it like that.
Speaker 1: I swear it wasn't me. How funny is it that it is awkward moments. You've really got to be thinking of a toilet cubicle now. But when like there's a couple of cubicles and two people walking at the same time, but no one wants to do anything because the other person's there and it's dead silence.
Speaker 3: I will hold.
Speaker 2: I will sit on the toilet and not wea until that person has finished, wiped their ass, flushed, and walked out.
Speaker 3: I will wait.
Speaker 1: No, I got I was in a standoff the other day in the same cubicle. I was in a standoff toilet stand off. There was someone in one no one in the middle, and I was in the other one and we're both holding it. And she'd been in before me. She was in there.
Speaker 3: You're like, come on, just finished, You've got to finish that.
Speaker 1: I held for a minute and I was like, she'll be out any minute. You could just hear like little scuffs and stuff, but no noise from either rest of And then I was like, it is so awkward now that I can't do it. And I ended up just not doing it, holding, flushing, pretending I did, pretending I did all because you didn't want to wait in front of her. It was just too It was just too awkward. It was like a Mexican stand off.
Speaker 2: You do have to kind of try and time it so that you're not leaving your cubicle at the same time you wait for You're like, oh, is that a toilet paper rustle? Okay, I know I have about twenty seconds, or are they flushing?
Speaker 3: You can time somebody else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want to meet each other. You don't meet each other at the hand washing station.
Speaker 3: But also i'd be like, I know what you were doing.
Speaker 1: How annoying is that when you flushed, because you're like, okay, this is my out.
Speaker 3: I've got my out.
Speaker 1: So you flushed and then they flush right after. You're like, you heard me flush. Wait the obligatory twenty seconds before you flushed, you just sit there and waited out. You do not flush one second after someone else's flushes. So the hand was in station also known as the tap. I'm so glad that we all we all know this, that there is just like an uns spoken etiquette about timing of going to a public toilet, but obviously some people don't know it. People gotta be like, what the hell does do we need to do and get out?
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think most people awkwardly time it to make sure that they're not doing it at the same time as the person in.
Speaker 3: The room next door.
Speaker 2: Okay, if you walk into a cubicle and you know, you walk in, shut the door, go it under your pants, and then realize that actually the toilet is not really usable, like my situation today, I was like, oh man, that's no one's going to use that. Do you pull your pants back up and walk out or do you just kind of leave them unbuttoned and then walk into the next cubicle.
Speaker 1: I would definitely use my spidy senses to assess the situation and be like, Okay, I don't think I heard anyone else coming in. I just leave them down out of laziness, and I would just walk out into the next cube. Because it also depends our cubicles. Here there's three toilets. If you're at like a concert this or at airport there's like thirty cubicles, you can't. I mean, you're really risking walking around with your pants under.
Speaker 2: But imagine if you walked out of one that had been decimated with your pants hunter.
Speaker 3: And when it looks like you.
Speaker 1: I mean, I still think you get it.
Speaker 3: You're like, I'm ready for number two.
Speaker 1: Talk about Laura's Like, how much do you try and say before people realize it was you. You've been banging on about it on the pod for twenty minutes. You decimated the toilet, We've solved the problem, inspected Brittany and so had ah. Fuck all right, well anyway, Look, there's lots of things that we want to talk about in today's episode. Obviously we want to answer your questions because that's what you all came here for. But let's talk about the thing that every single person on the whole of the internet on Instagram. You can't even open up your phone without seeing it. The bet Gala, oh the Mega. Now I have mixed feelings. I still because you hate it.
Speaker 3: I fucking hate it.
Speaker 1: I love it. Obviously it's a massive costume party. When I say I love it, I don't actually love it. But I do enjoy doing a twenty minute scroll of what everyone wore this Mechala. Everyone is naked. It's almost a competition at how little you can wear, how see through can it be? How small can your underpants be? Because underpants are pants now.
Speaker 2: Apparently except for if you're Rihanna, Can someone please explain to me? While she dressed up like a giant tampas, it.
Speaker 1: Was a vibe, wasn't it like? Wasn't it a vibe? Is in like? The theme of the night seemed to be quite mean?
Speaker 2: Only her and then Olivia Wild She had this thing like it was like an armor down the front of herself. But if you just focused on the gold thing on her belly, it looked like she was wearing a.
Speaker 1: Bad But also, speaking of that, so awkward, imagine going to the mechala and turning up in the same dress as someone It's Fashion's night of night. Somebody else wore that pad dress as well in black? What yep, yep, exactly exactly the dress. I thought that if you were going to the met gala, you got something custom made.
Speaker 3: I thought they all spent like four million dollars on their cloth.
Speaker 1: This is Vogue's China editor, Margaret Zang, and they both looked stunning like they did both look beautiful, But she had the black version and Olivia had the white version, and it was identical. I would be beside myself if I cared enough to go to that event.
Speaker 3: I just don't understand why.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why it's so popular, Like why does it stop the world.
Speaker 3: It's not even happening in our country. Why do we care so much?
Speaker 1: We have a weird obsession with celebrity, and then we have a weird obsession with fashion, So you put fashion on celebrity and it's the night of nights. That's how it's created. Like no one cares about the event, no one. It's the dumbest charity.
Speaker 2: Also, no one actually understands what the event is. We only know about the red carpet.
Speaker 3: Like where do they do?
Speaker 2: They go and sit in the hall? Do they have dinner? They do they go for a dance? Like what do they do in their outfits?
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't you remember last year?
Speaker 3: No, I can't remember. Yesterday there was.
Speaker 1: Heap, so the behind the scenes stuff was leaked and apparently it was awful. Like they are spending thousands and thousands to get a ticket to go to a table because it's raising money for the Metgala costumes, that's what it is. So they're raising like between seventeen and twenty five million dollars or something, which is ludicrous for the costumes. But all this footage was leaked last year from people that went about the food that were served and what actually happens on the inside, and it looked grim, grim, It looked terrible. It looked like, you cannot believe that's what people paying that much money literally to be seen on the red carpet, which I get because if you're a budding actor, actress, model, whoever you are, it is the place to be seen. It is going to get you in all the tabloids. So I understand why people are wanting to go. I totally understand it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're getting into tabloids and they look stupid.
Speaker 1: Some No. I love looking at the fashions. Some of them were absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: Some of them were beautiful, beautiful, beautif who name one.
Speaker 1: Kylie Jenner's outfit is one of the best I've seen her in. I think she looked stunning. Kylie. Yeah, wait, the one that was all the red one? I thought I was thinking the black Topsino. Don't know who's who? So why is there two that never go? Do they just not get invited?
Speaker 2: Does Courtney in whatever it name, Courtney and Chloe they never get invites?
Speaker 1: I don't think they do know.
Speaker 3: Oh Keisha saying they got invited.
Speaker 2: Keisha is actually up to date with someone's happening in the kadashi in world. I mean got invited last year, but this year they didn't make the cut guys because the met color is very exclusive and there was only room for three.
Speaker 3: Katashy was at that table. How devoed would you be?
Speaker 1: Will you just know where you sit in the pecking order like they already know, but then you really know and the world knows you sick and you don't get an invite to the met gal Yeah, speaking of the pecking order, it's like recently where you got invited to that huge charity event to host it. I didn't even get invited to go. Everyone's like, oh, you couldn't make it. I was like, no, I didn't get an invite. I did, I was in it and I couldn't even invite it. Wild.
Speaker 2: Look, it was a very very important cause, unlike the met Gala, which was actually for no cause at all. The metal I mean, I know you mentioned it Britain, We spoke about it last year. The money literally goes to a fashion costume institute, So think about raising seventeen million dollars for a costume box.
Speaker 1: I understand it because it's the fashion I tonight, but there's a lot that's wrong with it. And speaking of a lot that's wrong with it, we did want to talk about something that we you know, we were alerted to this. I didn't actually know this.
Speaker 3: No one alerted to us.
Speaker 1: Were no, we were a love Jamila Jamil called me up and she's like, brit, I don't know if she no.
Speaker 2: She's like, I don't know what you're talking about on your Thursday episode, but this needs to be for discussed.
Speaker 1: With Jamila Jamil. Now she's I guess she's Hollywood's ultimate feminist, right.
Speaker 2: She's a writer, she is a podcaster, she is a I say actor.
Speaker 1: So one thing we haven't mentioned yet about the mcgalor is that every year there's a theme. Well, the theme was Carl Lagerfield. He passed recently. He was the creative mind behind Chanel.
Speaker 2: So he's been the creative director of Chanelle since nineteen eighty three, literally up until when he died. But he also had his own clothing lines and accessory lines and fashion lines as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I and everyone knows.
Speaker 3: He was the King of Fashion.
Speaker 2: He also in the later years of his life, it became quite evident how controversial he was. But I wonder whether he was just controversial in his later years or whether it became more publicized, because prior to that, I think it was more focused on his fashion. And then as social media grew and as access to people's individual opinions became more public, we started to see more of the things that he would say. So to give you some context around that, some of his controversial views are about things like Syrian refugees, around weight and body image, making the comment that fat people shouldn't be wearing fashion, or fashion's not made for people who got a fat phobia, a lot of fat phobia. He also had some pretty shocking comments around the Me Too movement. In twenty eighteen, he said to Numeror magazine that he was fed up with it, and this is a direct quote. What shocks me most in all of this are the starlets who have taken twenty years to remember what happened, not to mention the fact that there are no prosecution witnesses. If you don't want your pants pulled about, don't become a model. Join a nunnery It's actually wild, isn't it, Especially the fact that he's saying it took them twenty years to remember. I'm sure there's not a day that they've ever oh for boss like this has nothing to do with memory. It's actually so dismissive and crazy that he's saying these things and people are brushing it under the carpet. Well, I mean, I think there's definitely been some commentary around how it was a very unusual choice to make this met gala the theme around Carl Lagerfield. But Jamila Jamil came out with a statement about it, and I think, you know, mostly everyone has been looking at the beautiful costumes, I being questionable whether they're beautiful. But this was the first person who I've seen actually put it into words why it's so problematic.
Speaker 1: This is what she said last night. Hollywood and Fashion said the quiet part out loud. When a lot of famous feminists chose to celebrate at the highest level a man who was so publicly cruel to women, to fat people, to immigrants, and to sexual assault survivors, and all of the women's publications and spectators online chose to gleefully ignore it. Suddenly your appetite to find someone's tweets from when they were twelve has gone. Nobody has perfect morals, least of all me but Jesus Christ. We had a year to course correct here and not award the highest on a possible to a known bigot, and everyone just decided all of a sudden, we can separate the art from the artists when convenient. And it's one rule for us and another rule for everyone else. Last night we relinquished our right to be taken it all seriously about anything important. That was something she'd written in a notes basically and she'd posted. But then she went on to say, it's not about cancel culture. It's not even about Kyle himself. It's just about showing how selective cancel culture can be. And then then she went on to get into politics, actually, which I lost.
Speaker 3: She lost me.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the big question here is is that can you celebrate Karl for being an incredible fashion like he was the cornerstone of world fashion with what he created in Channel? Can you celebrate his legacy in terms of a fashion legacy and extract his personal views and the way he saw the world, like do those things live as silos? Or do we now in today's culture, anybody who has had a significant impact on society and culture, or anybody who we hold up as a celebrity status, does the person always come with the art, which is exactly what they've said, the art with the artist. Are those things inextricable that we can't celebrate one without acknowledging the other?
Speaker 1: Well, there was something interesting that I did read in response to that, and Jamila's post really prompted some thoughts for me because I always knew very surface level that Karl was inappropriate, but I never knew in depth the things he was actually saying. So I'd always read that, you know, he said in a probe career, he'd said something that was wrong, but I'd never done a deep dive into it because fashion is not my world, right, But after seeing Jimil's posts, I did do a proper deep dive and it is very disturbing. But one thing I do want to say is that there were a couple of people that attended the megala that they're saying attended as a fuck you to Carl. They were taking the piss to Carl. Now one of those people is Lizzo. Why would they be attending as a fuck you, though, because you still want to go to the Night of Nights, but you want to make I get it. You want to go to the Night of Nights like you.
Speaker 2: Don't want to be excluded because like it's going to be a fun body in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: But you want to do a fuck you. So Lizzo went, and what they're saying is she purposely wore a lega Field silhouette dress so it was lovely and beautiful and tight. But then she posted and posed eating French fries because Carl always talked about you know, we just spoke about this fat phobia. He always talked about it should only be skinny people. His outfit should have only been worn on those ludicrously thin and she.
Speaker 3: Was like, he'll be rolling in his grill right now. Yes here, I am with my big mac. You fuck exactly.
Speaker 1: So there are some subtle things like that that I was like, Lizzo, fucking yes, Well, I think as well, because I mean, on one hand, there's the whole conversation like is a boycott the best way of protesting something like if all the celebrities were.
Speaker 3: Like, we're not gonna go because we don't agree with it.
Speaker 2: I think you can go and support an event, but I do love the idea that like Lizzo was like, I want to go because I want to be at this and I like fashion, but this is gonna be a fuck you to the legacy, not the legacy of fashion, but the legacy of bigotry that was left behind. And I also think that this is quite interesting because so Barry Humphries, as we all know he recently passed away. Barry Humphries was Dame Edna and he was a huge Australian comedian and you know, mostly I think across Australia I beloved Australian comedian. However, he had some extremely controversial views when it came to trans people.
Speaker 3: And was very discriminatory.
Speaker 2: I think sometimes we give people a bit of a pass card when they get old. We're like, oh, it's not as bad when like an eighty year old said crazy bigoted things as what it is when someone in their thirties does yes.
Speaker 1: Because it's almost like this, well, you should know better in this generation.
Speaker 3: Totally.
Speaker 1: That's what slapped with this generation, as in like you can't teach an old dog new tricks, and.
Speaker 2: We kind of give older people who have grown up in past generations a little bit more of a free pass. And I say this because, like, fuck, my grandparents have said questionable things. Do I hold them to the same standard that I hold my friends.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But the reason for that is because they grew up in a very, very different time. And I'm not going to try and educate my eighty six year old grandma who has dementia on why what she's saying is inappropriate. I'm just gonna let that pass. But would I say something to my friend. Absolutely. But the reason why I bring out Barry Humphries as an example is because so in twenty nineteen, and this is before he passed away, obviously, he was stripped of the comedy award that he had. He had like a big name. It was called the mcf's Main Award. I don't know what that is, but if you're a comedy person you might It was named after him. It was the Barry Humphreys Award, and he was stripped of that because of the things that he had said about trans people. I don't think in today's society that you're able to extrapolate art from the artist, especially in terms of something like fashion, which fashion permeates so much of our culture. It permeates body image, It permeates the way that fifteen year old girls view themselves. It is aspirational. It also is reflected back in music, in movies.
Speaker 3: In film.
Speaker 2: So I think when you are creating and you have such a strong and powerful hold over something that is actually so important in society, when you have problematic views like you are fat phobic or you are racist, those things permeate into that as well. And I think that from a top down you can't say, well, let's celebrate the artist but ignore the fact that he's done and said all these things.
Speaker 1: I can't get my head around what is happening in cancel culture in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Because this is very selective.
Speaker 1: But this is why I think Jamila's post is so thought provoking, because it is selective, and I've never thought of it really until then. I've thought we've always wanted to jump on as a society cancel culture. We have spoken before that we don't really like cancel culture. We don't believe in it. I never want to be a part of it. I find discussions around it interesting. But Jamila's whole post is so interesting because she says, this isn't about cancel culture, and it isn't about Karl. It's about why we're so selective with who we want to cancel and when we want to cancel them, and should we be doing that? And I find that an interesting discussion because it's very easy to just, in sort of addition to something you just said, Laura, but it's very easy to just hold on to something negative or something bad that someone has done or said, or a mistake they've made or whatever. I'm not making any specific examples here, but then forget every good thing that they've ever done, or every nice thing they've ever done, or every positive thing, or every contribution to society or their industry. It's very easy to forget all of that as soon as somebody slips up and makes a mistake.
Speaker 2: Do you think that there are some people who are actually so powerful that they're exempt from cancel culture, or that they get to a status where they're so prolific in their field or whatever it is, and they have been so innovative in that field that therefore they're not cancelable.
Speaker 1: Interestingly, if you ask me this one year two years ago, I would have said, yes, there absolutely are there are people that are untouchable, but I don't think there are now. I think society has changed now where people are like, I don't give a fuck who you are anymore, which is why it's so interesting that Kyl's been celebrated. Well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like Carl part of it as well, as is because he's a bit eccentric and baddie and it's it's cute. It's eccentricity that makes people go and go, oh, you know, but he's harmless, and I think that that plays a part in why he's kind of forgiven. Like he is this sort of like eccentric storyteller, and we have seen that as endearing and people have wanted to be close to him because then his immense spotlight is shined on them as well. Models want to wear his clothes, people want to work with him in fashion editorial. Like he was such a huge and prolific person within the fashion industry that I think his eccentricness and his creativity almost was the exemption for his bad behavior. And I mean we do see it in sport people who are incredible in their field. Incredible sportsmen are often given the exemption pass when they behave badly because they're fucking amazing sports people.
Speaker 3: So I do think we see.
Speaker 2: It, but it is, as Jamilla said, it is incredibly selective. Before we get into answering, you're deep, you're ducking, you're burning questions. It's time for vibe and unsubscribe loving life. Lately, I'm not unsubscribing from anything, but I do.
Speaker 1: Never unsubscribed for anyth because we're just always so positive. We're like, let's love this.
Speaker 2: We're like, let's do this segment different, let's do vibes and unsubscribes.
Speaker 3: But actually things are good. Oh nah, do you know what. I've got one.
Speaker 2: I've got one got an unsubscribed I'm unsubscribing from the MyGov website.
Speaker 3: It actually got hacked the other day, Willge, there you go, there you go. It is so bad trying to find anything on that website.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't have to click into twenty five tabs to get I did the same thing the other day. Now that you say that, actually it was like you've got a message or something and I had to action something and I had to go to twenty five different tabs to find it.
Speaker 2: It's like mining for gold. Like, literally, you go there with a purpose.
Speaker 3: But you may or may not find something, and who knows.
Speaker 2: And when you do, you're so excited because you're like, oh God, that was as hard as I thought it was going to be. You know that if you have to log onto the MyGov website and do anything on my guve, that that's like half an hour of your life is gone. It's a very stressful situation. I have no idea where my superannuation is or who it is or what it is. And someone was like, you can figure it anyway. Apparently who knows. I still don't know if you can figure it out through my guve. That's man subscribed.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's your subscribe?
Speaker 3: My subscribe my vibe.
Speaker 2: I have the worst eyelashes, and the reason for that.
Speaker 1: Is, oh, I reckon, I'm run you for that title.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like to keep them, don't fall out or anything. But the reason Whylshes are listening.
Speaker 3: Ash, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You were trying to tell me on Tuesday's episode that if I don't talk nicely to my plants, they're gonna die.
Speaker 3: So maybe my eyelashes, your.
Speaker 1: Plants are alive. It's a living organism.
Speaker 3: True.
Speaker 2: I can't wear mascara even though it's like the one thing that makes me look awake. And the reason for that is because I always get black, like the black fall above and below my eyes. My eyelashes touched the top of my eyelids, so.
Speaker 1: I get those black shots saying that your eyelashes are too long. What a problem to have, Laura.
Speaker 3: It's horrible.
Speaker 2: But I finally came across the mescar, which I'm loving because sometimes the tubulum mascars this makes me sound so basic, but I don't even care. Sometimes the tubulum mascars are too watery and they don't actually make your lashes look thick enough. But I found one that is like makes everything look thick and beautiful. And also it doesn't give you like mascaraful around your eyes, so don't look at Panda.
Speaker 1: Well I need that.
Speaker 2: It's called well, it's the Laurel, but it is their lash Paradise muscaa black. It comes in a pink tube. I'm reading it, so that's why it sounds. Yeah, it sounds sponsored, even though it's not. Yeah, it's fucking great. I've got brought two tubes, and I gave one to my sister. Yeah, right, from chemist, from the chemist.
Speaker 3: From chemist.
Speaker 1: I've been going between eyelashes, fake eyelash extensions and not, and every time I do it, I like every couple of months, I get them and I'm like, oh my god, I look so much better. They make such a difference to your face, Like eyelashes change everything. But then I get lazy. I don't want to go back and in fill them. Then they fall out and I have one mega long lash for a long time. So I definitely need to pick a lane with my eyelashes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm off flash extensions because it looks great for twos and then you look like as some sort of like half bald chicken when like chickens get mites and they've like lost half their feathers, that's what you look like.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, my vibe is this is a question I genuinely get assalot. It's not me saying like you all want to know. I genuinely ask about my hair a lot now. In case you don't know, I'm very open about it. I post about it in case you don't know. I have hair extensions. I have great length hair extensions. I have short, thin hair. I don't have luscious natural hair, so I get hair extensions more times than not. I have hair extensions in sometimes I have them out. I don't think I've.
Speaker 2: Seen you without hair extensions in a long time, like a long time though. I don't remember who you are without hair extensions.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, that's a good thing to know, because it wasn't that long ago I didn't have for me. But anyway, hair extensions mean for me, I can wake up out of bed and your hair generally just falls nicely, like it's always looks good, it always looks healthy. People always like, what do you use for your hair? It's so healthy and lush. It's not I don't use anything. It's just I use someone else's. It's just hair extensions. I obviously get good shampoo and condition but that's my vibe. Like I'm outing myself. I have hair extensions. This is not real, and I will when I take them out, eventually, I'll show you the difference. But I've got heaps of reels on my Instagram page of before and after hair extensions. So if you do want to have a look, go have a little look. See Keisha actually has a vibe. Keisha, what's the vibe this week.
Speaker 4: Well, given that yours was Masca, it wasn't bringing a little bit of our class to theocast.
Speaker 1: Their extensions are class.
Speaker 4: I listened to an episode of The Daily It's a podcast by the New York Times. This is we're really like upping the intelligence of the vibes this week.
Speaker 3: He waited, all right, fucking flex.
Speaker 4: It's called the Ballad of the Deep Fake Drake. Do you guys remember I think it was maybe two or three weeks ago. This ghost writer was their name. They were basically an artificial intelligence music producer, completely anonymous, and they basically made a fake artificial intelligence song that sounded exactly like Drake, and it started charting. It was all over all of our social media, so TikTok and Instagram, and it was all a little bit of fun and games where it was like, oh, artificial intelligence, like it's taking over so much of the world, and particularly with like photos and what we can do, But how is it impacting the music industry? Basically the music labels, like you think about Universal Music, who Drake is signed by. It was a song that kind of imitated Drake and the weekend they essentially got involved because this song was going to start making money. It was on YouTube, it was on Spotify, and it was actually bringing in revenue.
Speaker 2: And then it's like, who is the one who owns it? But obviously, I mean, I think that the answer is pretty obvious. But I'm obviously not someone who works in any sort of AI law. But surely it's Drake because the reason why it should be Drake is because the only reason why it's making money is off his image. If it was just some Joe Blow from the local service station who released that same song, it wouldn't be charting and it wouldn't make money.
Speaker 4: As it turns out, no, that's not the case. So artificial intelligence means that you can take the sound of someone, but you also think about in the music industry of like the songwriter or who creates the music behind it, who creates the riffs. If you think about it in terms of photos, it's like, we have this really when social media blew up who owns an image and they ended up kind of landing on well, the person who took the photo is the person who owns the image. But this is a whole new world with music and the labels. They're not trying to get ahead of it and stop it because they know that they can't. They're basically trying to be like, Okay, well, if you're going to use our artists, you need to give us a portion of the cut.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Imagine if someone was like, oh, hey, it's not the real Taylor Swift, but like, here is a whole new album that she's created and it sounds like her, and it looks like her, and it moves like her, and it shakes like her, and then she's not making a single dollar from it.
Speaker 3: This does, interestingly, some artists are on board with it.
Speaker 4: And this is what this whole podcast, this is why it's actually like wildly interesting because people like Grimes are saying, you can totally use my voice.
Speaker 3: This is the way that the world's going, and I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: To be clear, what's the vibe the podcast? It's like, we've just that whole podcast episode. What is the vibe?
Speaker 3: Kisha?
Speaker 4: The specific podcast episode by The Daily called the Ballad of Deep Fake Drake, And I just find it very interesting that, like, you know, if someone had said something of music, AI would have been like fucking boring, But I was well interested by this whole episode, and I think it's the future.
Speaker 2: Did anybody see the article that came out not so long ago and it was an interview with Michael Schumacher, So you know Michael Schumacher, who obviously is has been in a coma and has not done any media since his horrific accident because he's unable to from his injuries. There was an AI created interview with him that was like, these are the answers he would have given if he could. It's so respect it's so exploitive. Anyway, that's yeah, Look, that's a whole other conversation for all other day. All Right, it is time to answer.
Speaker 3: Finally.
Speaker 2: You're deep, you're dark, and you're burning questions. I'm gonna hit it off. I have a request for all of you dog owners out there. How many how many of you let your dog sleep on your bed? If so, how do you have sex solo or with a partner? Is it a bit of a moodkiller having to stop lock your dog outside, listen to a cry for being locked outside, do your thing, and then just let it back in the bed when you should be spooning. Do you bone with We've talked about this, put it outside.
Speaker 1: So funny that you wrote this question. I don't have sex, so I haven't actually had sex at home in a long time. But I would rather I don't want my dog in there, but I'm lucky that my dog wouldn't sit at the door and cry either.
Speaker 3: But if my dog, oh, Keisha says, yes, she does.
Speaker 2: Keisha has told a whole story on this podcast before about how she was getting railed and Delilah was outside, Like, I.
Speaker 1: Think that has more to do with Keisha's sound effects than anything. So I probably thought she was part of the club and they're all like howling together.
Speaker 3: Like maybe she thought you were getting murdered, she thought you were dying.
Speaker 1: She was worried about you, that's all. It was anxiety. But I would rather if the choices are your dogs sitting there staring at you, watching you go health for leather, or sitting outside crying, I'd rather them quietly watch me get raal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would rather watch my dog's very quiet busters he's so he's so silent, He's just like the sweetest, most silent. He could walk into a room and you wouldn't even know that he's there, even though he's a giant. Many times he's just walked in and sat there and you finished, and he's just sitting there watching, like what do you do?
Speaker 1: It's the awkward thing. That's a bone I only learned this week is that dogs actually do judge their owners on their behavior, the way they act, empathy, selfishness, it's actually a thing. So when you think that your dog is there watching you, they are. They're genuinely judging your maneuvers in the bedroom.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're judging your performance. They might judge as a person.
Speaker 1: Like girl, get out of stuffish, you need.
Speaker 2: To actually start doing something, Get up on your hands and knees and give this work like I do it. He's like, this is how it's done. I think it is fine to have sex with your dog in the room. Should your dog be on the bed?
Speaker 1: No? No, it's weird, especially if they start like licking a limb or something. Okay, what if it's that was licking your little toe or something, Well.
Speaker 3: Then how do you know who it is?
Speaker 1: Maybe you think your partner's face is in your face or a bit down there, you know.
Speaker 3: I think it's fine.
Speaker 2: I think look if they're gonna sit at the door and scream and cry, that's a child. If they're gonna sit at the door and how that is a bit of a moodkiller. But why don't you if you know that you're gonna have someone over and have sex with them, why don't you like create some sort of distraction for your dog, Get them a treat, get one of those stupid dummy thingies that you shot peanut butter in the coom things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that takes away if you're spontaneously the moment having sex, You're like, hang on, let me peet up, Butter up this com let me. It's a bit of a moment killer, isn't it. Yeah, But you get a peanut butter out and they're like, oh yeah, shit's gone down. And then you just start wiping on a salavery dog toy.
Speaker 3: And then go wash your hands and come back to the bedroom. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just think there's no one way that is going to be the most romantic way with this situation. Like, if you've got a dog that has like attachment issues and wants to be in the bedroom with you, you're always gonna have to deal with that, just like if you've got kids and they've got attachment issues. You've got to try and organize the time of which you have sex so that your kids aren't standing at the door.
Speaker 3: Going mommy and daddy, what are you tearing?
Speaker 2: I think it's just kind of maybe a little bit of forward planning. Maybe the spontaneity of sex can't be there as much what you would like.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Ben's here in three weeks, so i'll update you the sex with a dog thing. See how Delilah goes down. Compare it to Keisha's situation when she has let's.
Speaker 3: Just be very clear, sex with the dog in the house, in the room.
Speaker 1: I really think we needed to clarify it.
Speaker 2: The next thing, there's a Daily Mail article and it's like Britney's updating us on sex with the dog.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yo, wouldn't surprise me, all right?
Speaker 2: Would you date someone with the same name as your sibling or dad? I previously dated a guy with the same name as my brother, and if that wasn't awkward enough, I met a guy on the weekend and we had an amazing time together. But I don't think I can take it any further simply because he has the same name as my dad. Is this robbing myself of my time with someone who could be a potential partner or is it too weird?
Speaker 3: What are your thoughts? Would you date someone with the same name as your dad?
Speaker 1: Bro? If you are excluding people from your dating lineup because they have the same name as so in your family, that is crazy.
Speaker 2: Okay, but picture this picture this. Imagine you're like, they're on top of you, they're deep inside you, and then you're like, yeah, fuck me, Tony, I don't have.
Speaker 1: To imagine it. I've dated multiple people with my brother's name.
Speaker 4: This just screams to me that you don't have daddy issues in the way that I Also.
Speaker 1: It's someone's name. You guys are crazy if you've met the love of your life or someone that could be your partner and you don't date them because they have the same name. I have dated so my brother's name is a Mitch and Dane. I've dated three mitches. She got brother issues and had a huge Well, it's a very common name, guy, it's a very common name. And also had crushes on people with the name Dane in the past. I never dated a day did.
Speaker 2: Can I just say this, Dane is such a naughty boy name, like all Danes A naughty.
Speaker 1: He was naughty by Dane's very naughty.
Speaker 2: I've never met a Dane who's actually turned out to not be a naughty kid or like a naughty adult.
Speaker 1: They're always naughty. My brother, Dane's naughty. But I think this is dumb. I think it's hard enough to meet your person or somebody that you actually vibe and connect with, and if you're adding their name as a red flag to your list, then I think that that's ridiculous. You're shooting yourself in the foot. That's my opinion. I've done this, explains why, explains why? Wait?
Speaker 3: I think more context of this. Okay, I think it's different.
Speaker 2: She's like met him already and then she had a beautiful time fucking date your dad. It's fine, But if you were on Tinder and you haven't met them yet, you have no connection to them. They're just hot. And then Terry comes up. I'm not gonna click on Terry. All I can think of is my dad out in a fishing bow. I wouldn't click on Terry, but not because of the dad, true, it's just.
Speaker 3: What if he is really hot and his name's Terrence, this is oh god, it's my dad genuinely.
Speaker 4: I think I was on a dating app and my dad's name is Craig, and someone super attractive came up and I was like, he is a magical creature.
Speaker 3: Saw the name and I was like, noupe Keisha, this is Keisha.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I'm single anyone. Also, Keisha, don't like the name. Don't like the name.
Speaker 2: Oh god, that guy looks like he probably gets up at five am in the morning this.
Speaker 1: Morning about a date she went on, and she's like, you should have seen the shoes he wore, though, And I was like, Keisha, rate it in with he disciple shoes, which is the name.
Speaker 2: Unless he's wearing shoes that have like the toes in them, that's probably where you can draw a line with just.
Speaker 1: Weary balanced shoes.
Speaker 4: We're getting very off track, Akay. I want to know whether you'll date your dad. Apparently BRIT's fine with that.
Speaker 3: That is not the question.
Speaker 1: The question is not what you date your dad.
Speaker 3: The question is what you date.
Speaker 1: Someone that has the same name as someone in your family. And if you are ruling out these people, I personally, unless you absolutely detest or have a very traumatic association with that name, like It's crazy to me if you're ruling out people because they have a name similar to someone in your family. If it's deeper than that, I totally understand it. If every time you think of that name or say it, it triggers you, that is the only time I can understand it. But if you're just like an average go get a family, and you're ruling those people out, I mean, your own worst enemy is what I think. I mean.
Speaker 3: I do like how you've taken the questions so seriously.
Speaker 1: I am. I take this. I take my advice to you listeners very seriously. And I love love and I want you to all fall in love, and I don't want you to be excluding people because of their name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but to be fair, I reckon your dad would have been hot when he was younger. He was hot, yeah, yeah, caring as well.
Speaker 1: My dad was like a lifeguard you've try athlete. He had long blonde tip. You probably still would sick.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So see, you have no problems with dating someone named Terry, I mean Tony, I.
Speaker 3: Have daddy issues.
Speaker 1: Sorry, what's your dad's name, Craig.
Speaker 3: We established that, so.
Speaker 1: You've not wouldn't dated Craig.
Speaker 2: No, there's not many thirty year olds walking around with the name Craig. Though my brother's name is Kai, and I wouldn't date a Kai either. It's just too weird for me. Like to me, I'm like, there's just too much connection, Shase.
Speaker 1: So you're penguin waddles along and the name's Craig. You could not have written or put this creature together more perfectly for you. You would not date him because his name's Craig.
Speaker 3: Has he got a middle name? Could we get by that? Can?
Speaker 2: I like, I mean, here's a bit of self admission, Like, my father's name is Matt, and I'm married to a Matt.
Speaker 1: Well, then why are you taking the pin?
Speaker 2: Because I think my brother's real name's Matthias. But I don't look at Matt. And at no point was I like, oh my god, that's my brother's name. But if I did meet someone, because that's so common, Matt is the most common name. But if I did meet a guy named Terry and I was dating him, I think it depends on how old manish the name is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's I can't even have a conversation with you a lot. You're just contradicting yourselves. That has to do with their age, not their name. You just admit it. You just went against it, laughing, and then you're like, well, actually I am dating my process. No no, no, I know the prime exemple.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, no, you've misunderstood. I have no issue with brothers.
Speaker 3: It's dads. I have an issue with.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Well, look, the answer for me is to date the date who. Yes, date somebody with the name similar unless it's really going to triger you. But it shouldn't be triggering you because they share the same name.
Speaker 3: Let's get into the next question.
Speaker 1: Okay, last question. I am nineteen years of age and currently working childcare full time. My workplace is all female who the majority are mums. I work in the same room as this thirty seven year old who acts like she's in high school. She gossips, she bags and talkshit about other workers, and she loves to be overly overpowering in the workplace. Me being the overthinking person I am, I'm constantly worried she's talking shit and it's affecting my confidence in my ability at work. I feel so much toxicity in my workplace, but I can't financially take the risk and leave. What should I do?
Speaker 2: I mean, firstly, I would just be applying for other jobs. That would be what I would start, I think at nineteen, I mean, this is probably one of your first full time, like full time serious jobs and careers. I don't think you need to stay or work in a place where you feel like the culture is terrible and there's like crippling toxicity because I actually think that that's a culture that's too hard to change and unless you address the situation, which can be very challenging with your employer.
Speaker 3: You can go.
Speaker 2: Obviously, you can speak to a employer, you can explain to them what's happening with this woman. But to change that will take a lot of time. And is that going to change?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would say for me, I would probably start putting feelers out for other places to work, because you should never work in an environment where you feel that it is that toxic that you have anxiety about going to work.
Speaker 1: I agree, But what I'm going to say is not necessarily something I agree with, because I don't. But it's something that I've learned in my thirty five years and working in a lot of workplaces. I have left a workplace before. I quit because of workplace bullying, because of the toxic environment. And I'm a confident person in myself and my abilities, so no one just to put it out there, no one is necessarily exempt from feeling that way. So I don't want you to think that it's you at all, because it's not. I felt the environment was so bad. I always felt like I and other people were being judged. People would be in tears. It wasn't nice. And I told the boss when I left. She said, can I ask why you're leaving? You know, obviously it's sad to lose you, And I said, in complete honesty, it's the environment. There are some real bullies here and I don't like it, and I don't feel comfortable. Unfortunately, don't think people ever grow out of it. I have friends in their fifties and sixties who have spoken to me not that long ago about the same thing, bullying and bitching in an environment, and I said to them, I was like, wow, I always just thought I needed a couple more years and to grow out of that. Like it gets to a point where you're an adult and you think that adults act like adults, but they don't, and one thing I did learn is that it doesn't necessarily matter where you work or how old you are. Unfortunately, there are always going to be these kind of people in an environment. If it's pushing you to the point where you just you're beside yourself and you can't go to work one hundred percent, leave and find another environment because they're not all. When I say bitchiness, you don't grow out of it. That doesn't necessarily mean people constantly take it to work. But what I'm saying is it's not necessarily something where you're like, I'm going to go work with people that are in their fifties because they're going to be better. They probably will be better in a big capacity. But I think it's something that we have to accept in ourselves sometimes that I'm not going to let somebody else make me feel uncomfortable. I know my worth, I know what I do, I know what I bring to the job, and it's easier said than done to internalize that and say I'm just going to put my head down and do it. I'm not saying that's the answer. I'm just saying there does come a time where you have to accept that some people are always going to be those people. Some people are never going to outgrow that bitchiness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I agree that there are people who are never going to outgrow the bitchiness.
Speaker 3: I absolutely agree.
Speaker 2: But I do think it comes down to the culture in a workplace, and it also comes down to who is in senior management in that place. Is this person who works in this childcare center, being that she's thirty seven, has she been there for a lot longer? Is she the director of the childcare center? Is she the manager of the room. The problem is is that, of course in workplaces, these things shouldn't exist, but they do exist in some places, and it is really, really fucking hard, especially when you're at the bottom of the rank. When you're at the bottom of the rank, you can't change the culture of a company. You can't change the culture of your employment. It has to come from the top down, so you can make them aware of it, but your ability to change it is very, very small. And I think, and I speak of this from my own experience. When I worked before I started my own businesses, I worked for a company.
Speaker 3: It was a printing company in Epping.
Speaker 2: I worked for them for quite a long time and it was horrendously toxic, and because it was my very first real experience of employment outside of university, I thought that that was kind of normal and that I had to just GrITT and bear it. And I did gritten bear it for two years and then I quit and I eventually started working somewhere else, and it was almost like someone had turned the fucking lights on. I was like, oh my god, this is what it is to work in a company who appreciates me and doesn't treat me as though like they're doing me a favor by employing me. So I really do think that if you're going to work and it's causing you constant anxiety, nobody is paying you enough for that. Like that there is no job that's giving you. I mean maybe if it's millions and millions of dollars, but I'm going to guess that if you're working in childcare, you're not making that much money in comparison to the amount of stress that it's causing you, and so you shouldn't be taking that home. You shouldn't be worried about coming to work and working alongside these people. So I would say, if you feel confident enough, the first thing is to speak to someone who maybe is in a HR position, but if it's a very small business, it may not even have a HR position. So I think sometimes the best thing to do is start to look at what other opportunities exist.
Speaker 4: I think also in those situations when you're talking about someone's behavior at work, especially with something that's like a bitchy, toxic vibe, it's so hard to put into words because a lot of the time it's like, oh, it's the way she said it. It's not like she's turning up to work late or going home early, or like treating a kid bad in the daycare center. So if you're going to someone in a position of management or whatever and being like I just think she's a bit of a cow. She speaks badly about people, they're going to be like, well, what are some examples of this. It's actually something that's quite hard to say because a lot of it is implication.
Speaker 3: You know, in those situations, otherwise you just sound.
Speaker 4: Like you're complaining about these very menial things, but when they're happening to you every day, they really add up. And the only thing that I would gives advice, like whether you're able to get another job or not.
Speaker 3: I think that with.
Speaker 4: People like that in the workplace, the most that you can distance yourself personally from them.
Speaker 3: So all of your conversation, just keep it.
Speaker 4: Very professional about work because the less they know about you and the less they know about your personal life, the less they can use against you.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say the same thing. Bullying and being on com an environment is subjective, right, It's different for everyone, And like you to say, Keisha sometimes and sometimes for me in the past, it's been nothing I can put my finger on. It's the way someone looks at you. It's a look, and what are you gonna You can't go and say, oh, I just like that looked at me funny today. So it's been at the end of the day, it's what makes you feel uncomfortable if you know that she's talking inappropriately about other people. Even if you know you're gonna leave one hundred percent and go and tell the boss. There is a manager at the end of the day, even if there's three people that work there, there's a manager. There is someone you can go and tell, Go and tell them that you're uncomfortable by what they're saying. It is their job to then go and speak to that person and they do not have to say there is a level of anonymity. They do not have to go and say Sarah came and said you've been talking badly. They're not going to do that. They're gonna say, look, there's been a complaint that you've been saying. It's been appropriate things. I think you shouldn't be forced out yet. There are steps to take.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 1: I would make an official complaint that you are uncomfortable by things that they're saying. If it doesn't get better, of course, look for something different. No one goes to work and feels uncomfortable. You do what is right for you at the end of the day. But I wouldn't go in. I mean, like, and I'm gonna say this, in today's economy, you can't. Unfortunately, not many people are in a position whether they can go and quit without another job. So put your feelers out now, start having a look because you want to go and you want to be comfortable in your environment. But do not leave. I mean this is just me. Do not leave without telling them why, because otherwise we don't break the cycle, do we. The next person, The next young girl that's nineteen and fresh out of UNI or school comes in and the same thing happens. So even if you did what I did, where I never made an official complaint. I was lucky enough to find another job, but I one hundred percent told them the honor's true as why I was leaving, because I wanted that to be known. All right.
Speaker 3: Well, that is it from us.
Speaker 2: If you have a question for asking cart slide on in to the DMS at Life Uncut podcast. You can also follow us on TikTok it's also at Life onun Cut podcast, or you can join us on Facebook in the Facebook discussion group Black on Cut Discussion group.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to you mum, to your dad, tell you dog, te your friends, and share the love because we'll love.
Speaker 3: Welcome baby,