Speaker 1: Matt good Day, probably wondering why we're here, and I have a burning question for you, my guy, are you still considering a third child?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, Maybe I don't know, Ash. Depends depends what time of day you ask me.
Speaker 1: Well, we're here today with a bonus episode, a boner with a booner with a bonus episode with Lara Pitt, who happens to have.
Speaker 2: Three children.
Speaker 1: Maybe this will convince you either way. But I think one more child would kill.
Speaker 3: Us, kill us all. Lara Pitt good friend of yours.
Speaker 1: Ash, good good friend of mine. I was actually at the football not with Lara for the State of Origin, with us with my brother in law, and Lara Pitt walked into the isle in front of me with a whole beautiful family.
Speaker 3: And she was at working notes.
Speaker 2: She was enjoying.
Speaker 3: She was there with Lachlan Cooper Hamish.
Speaker 1: Yes, and her husband. And the guy next to me, who I did not know, was pumped to see her.
Speaker 2: She was like, Oh my god, this's like told he's kid. There's Lara Pitt.
Speaker 3: She's a fan favorite.
Speaker 1: She is a Fox journal and commentator and that's where people would mostly know her from. But she's a pioneer in that space, I would say for the female journalist amongst the big bonehead footballers.
Speaker 3: She's also been fortunate enough to be interviewed by the one and only Ashwicks before. This is her second time being interviewed.
Speaker 1: That's the third time, fourth time being interviewed actually by me.
Speaker 2: Gosh, it's funny. She sat down and she's like, where are you not?
Speaker 1: I was like no, and she's like I expected nothing less.
Speaker 3: Also a family friend of ours, her kid plays football with my sister's kid.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's a small world in my plays football with my dog's sister's cousin's best friend.
Speaker 3: Actually I knew Lara's husband in her previous life back in.
Speaker 2: The day and halfway through.
Speaker 1: This don't give it away as we do how that came about and Matt's face.
Speaker 2: Is red again.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 4: Enjoy.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to two doting dads and one doting mum. I'm Mattie Jay, I'm Ash and.
Speaker 5: I'm Fox Leagues Lara Pitch more famous as Mama or Darles at Home.
Speaker 3: This is a podcast all about parenting. It is the good, it is the bad, and the relatable And if you've come for any advice, Ash and I will never ever deliver it never, I guess seem to though good, no pressure, No, you don't have to give advice. But at the same time, if not for the listeners, for Ash and myself we could use some help.
Speaker 6: I'm going to hopefully be able to deliver some nuggets of gold.
Speaker 3: I agree nuggets.
Speaker 2: Specifically.
Speaker 3: Thank you normally whenever we see the last few times. For me it was Vegas. Ye, we're dressed as Dad's normally, with like a drink in hand. You last saw Ash in Brisbane. I did so the magic round. I can only imagine what kind of stake he was in.
Speaker 5: It was pretty good, Yes, you were pretty good, better than Vegas, but it was only Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think Vegas was a longer stint.
Speaker 1: It was like seven nights y pretty gay by the end of that, Like I was actually had to do some work in Brisbane.
Speaker 2: I feel like in Vegas we were just like.
Speaker 5: Splitting it there right, you're splitting it in Vegas you want a magic crown.
Speaker 6: So he had to do all the It.
Speaker 3: Must be strange to see us in the most professional environment so far.
Speaker 5: This professional not in the sheds for manly singing. The team song, which how on earth did that happen?
Speaker 1: We just had child and side note Charlie and Matt Veach here on Wednesday the Cat the Fox guys doing We did like an intro for that segment.
Speaker 6: Okay, I did.
Speaker 3: Hear mainly have had a few looks at their processes internally for security.
Speaker 2: Off the back of they blocked me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like hell.
Speaker 6: To all places, so amazing.
Speaker 2: I was in the tunnel actually to start off with. As they were coming off.
Speaker 6: I saw the vision a lot of it was it daily, the bigs.
Speaker 5: The cuddles, like big cuddles after that game, like, guys, you beat them, You've opened the season with the wind, I'm here for you.
Speaker 2: Got to be the greatest day of my life.
Speaker 3: It started off with shakes that would take a handshake on the back Croger. I was like like ashes trying to French kiss the players and they're coming off the field.
Speaker 2: I was like, someone's going to do it, Someone's got to do it.
Speaker 6: Almost almost make me want to like manly.
Speaker 5: But everyone could be everyone.
Speaker 2: We love that everyone hates us, that's the that's the joke.
Speaker 6: Do you know what?
Speaker 5: I used to hate them, But then when you start doing what I do, and you get to interview the traboy bitches and even Daily Lovely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lara, when you were a young girl.
Speaker 6: I'm still young, but yes, young young girl, young girl.
Speaker 3: Primary school. Let's say, yeah, what type of girl were you? I can't decide if you were someone who liked Barbie dolls and pink dresses or if you were someone who was quitting other boys in a headlock and like killing fish down the pawn.
Speaker 6: I think I had a collection of Barbie Dolls. Definitely.
Speaker 5: I had two big brothers, so I was definitely capable of getting in a scrap if need be.
Speaker 6: But I would say it was a tomboy.
Speaker 5: Going through my teenagers, I think as a little girl, Barbie Dolls. For sure did ballet because that's what you did when you were five or six, and that's what Mum got me into. But then as I got through to my teenagers, I felt awkward being too feminine, so I used to borrow my brothers. Like I'd wear my brother's clothes. I'd wear like Trackie acts and like be real, and my girlfriends.
Speaker 6: Were just like what.
Speaker 3: Friday Night.
Speaker 5: I did go through a stage where we'd go to the remember Kappa there was dance parties where you'd wear pants.
Speaker 6: My god, you're too young anyway, But yeah, I feel like I were going to fashion sense. I wasn't prepared.
Speaker 3: It's it's like the football brand.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, k A p p A with your terrible fashion sense as a.
Speaker 2: Teenager, two girls back to back, the.
Speaker 6: Pants have the stud So I went through a stage. Oh this is awful. Why am I talking about this anyway?
Speaker 2: It was this was actually the whole show.
Speaker 6: There was an awkward part in the teenage.
Speaker 5: Yes, we're going through those dance parties and having a good time and wearing like crop tops with trackie acts and dancing badly, but thinking it was really good. My best friend and I would have a great time going to those.
Speaker 3: I'm going to ask for some photos if you could submit them.
Speaker 6: I just don't know if I have any.
Speaker 3: But yes, it's gonna sound really dumb. But on the weekends, if you're say thirteen fourteen, and you guys, can you know, have free time?
Speaker 6: Yeap?
Speaker 3: Would your brothers go off and leave you alone? Or were you under their wing?
Speaker 5: So I should probably say my brothers were nine and ten years older than me, so right, it was not a mistake.
Speaker 6: I promise. It has been told to me many a time.
Speaker 2: I was surprised.
Speaker 6: I was a best surprise ever. And I was a girl.
Speaker 5: So after two boys, my mom and dad, you know, they're happy to say that my brothers were hand for compared to me. So nine and ten years old are my memories of being thirteen and fourteen.
Speaker 6: By then they'd left the nest, so I was almost like an early child.
Speaker 5: But when I was five or six and they were teenage boys, they you know, they looked after me.
Speaker 6: You know, they've always looked after me. I'm like the little sister.
Speaker 5: I remember them picking me up from school when they got their license. One of my brother, one of my brothers, both of them actually were quite cheeky of them had a motorbike.
Speaker 6: So I even got picked up in the motor.
Speaker 3: Your girlfriends like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: I think my dad was like absolutely not that thing.
Speaker 6: But yeah, they were older.
Speaker 5: There were perks to that because I don't know, they taught me everything. I think I learned things probably before my years that they were doing and they were getting up to. It's pretty good at dabbing on them. Because I was so little.
Speaker 6: My brother stole my parents' car once and the famous story.
Speaker 2: Is that.
Speaker 6: Was turned to me and go who did it?
Speaker 5: And I went, Johnny did it? And my brother told that in my wedding speech that you know, I was the sweet one and you know never meant to get him in trouble, but I was just being honest. Yeah, so we were very close, but age a big factor and we're still very close, very close.
Speaker 1: Family was family, like, were you I mean you work in you know, in the sports industry.
Speaker 2: Now, were you a big sports family?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: So my dad is European Hungarian, came here fresh off the bolt, as we thought we'd grew up hearing the story. Came to Australia from Hungary with just a little satchel, no speaking to English, and.
Speaker 2: Just a packed lunch and nothing.
Speaker 6: Not even that.
Speaker 5: Came here with nothing. No, his mom stayed back in Hungry for a bit. And anyway, so.
Speaker 3: Why did he come over?
Speaker 6: He wanted to escape because it was a communist country.
Speaker 5: He'd had a terror, like he would say, a hard life growing up until eighteen, and his mum wanted him to have a better life. And so yeah, he has an amazing story. My dad his inspiration for all of us.
Speaker 6: He came here self made, but yeah, the journey was hard.
Speaker 5: He had to learn English and get a degree and all of those things. But the reason I go back to that is he brought the soccer round ball influence into all of our lives. He met my mum, an Ossie country girl. Don't know how that worked, Like could not be any more different to each other, like just an Aussie girl meets his Hungarian.
Speaker 3: And sometimes we find, like Laura's dad a similar scenario. He come from Italy, but he tried to remove the Italian heritage. With your dad, did he celebrate the Hungarian heritage? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think he also wanted like he had no family, So I think for my dad, he's very proud of his heritage for sure, but he.
Speaker 6: Was about making the proudest thing for dad.
Speaker 5: Now we have we had a beautiful photo actually only in March, and it's our whole family and we look at it and he looks at it and he just goes, well, that's just so amazing. There's like about fifteen sixteen seventeen goosebumps. Yeah, he's got great grandchildren now, he's you know, he came here and my mum had family obviously being Australian, but she was the youngest and had older siblings, so similar story. The age gaps, but yeah, I think for dad always shared his story, super proud of his heritage.
Speaker 3: Any like Hungarian traditions.
Speaker 6: He not had Hungarian food?
Speaker 2: No, maybe accidentally gulash?
Speaker 5: Have you not had gulash paprika chicken ncoli? Oh my gosh did my beautiful grandma who's no longer with us, but she Yeah, it was an amazing Hungarian cook. My mom learned tried to learn Hungarian when she met my father. Unfortunately, it's a really hard language, apparently one of the hardest to learn, so I think she would love to have learned so she could teach it as the primary care. Give it to me and my brothers. That didn't happen. I know swear words.
Speaker 1: Give us a couple of swear words. Why don't you give us the swear word and we'll guess what it is.
Speaker 5: I know there's one that I really don't want to say because it's it's so offensive.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, I just I think from memory as.
Speaker 2: To put your fires, that's fuck you.
Speaker 5: I think it might be it could be like it could be like it could be like, oh my god, but like a worst version of that. But then is another one that I know if I ever said it back, it would get me into big trouble.
Speaker 6: But I'm like, well, you're saying it.
Speaker 5: He used to say when he would get frustrated, he could swear in Hungarians.
Speaker 3: But you couldn't you could.
Speaker 5: I'd be like, Okay, I know that's a bad one.
Speaker 1: I feel like like any swear word in any language is always like aggressive more than every other world quite.
Speaker 6: Like full on.
Speaker 2: Loud.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my dad sneezes loud, like guilty. No, no, he'll sneeze and.
Speaker 6: Like people around the street will be like, holy moly's man.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's a real man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's almost annoying.
Speaker 3: Was it ever tough? Though? Because he came from nothing? And so did he ever try and build resilience in you?
Speaker 5: And one hundred that's where it comes from from me. My work effic comes from Mum and dad And yeah, we've we sat down for his eightieth and wrote a book. To his book, he wrote his biography, which I think is really important for all of us to remember to have forever about just the jobs that he had to do when he got here because he didn't have the qualifications, he didn't speak English. But he's the complete example of someone who was never going to just sit on his hands.
Speaker 6: Like he had multiple jobs.
Speaker 5: He studied accounting at night, eventually was qualified and then just in his I think it wasn't until his thirties did he find his calling in real estate. And he was a salesman, like he could talk to anyone and this man, you know, again with an accent, and just saw Australia as a land of opportunity like he. If you want to hear someone talk about how amazing Australia is, you just talk to Dad. Because he grew up in communists hungry where life was hard, it was cold, it was poor, he didn't have food like you know, grew up during the war.
Speaker 6: And was very good.
Speaker 3: Ask you to mow the lawn and you're like, I can't be bothered. He's like, let me remind you.
Speaker 2: True, but talk about how struggle.
Speaker 5: But you know it's accurate because now when there are struggles in anyone's life, he'll he'll often say it's not real struggle, you know, And sometimes I have to remind him, Dad, I understand not everyone went through the trauma and the horrible stuff that you did, which we all need to appreciate, was really awful, like he lost his dad in the war and all of that, but you go, it makes it's made us all more resilient understanding what real suffering and what real hard times look like.
Speaker 6: Our version in Australia.
Speaker 5: Is such a drama.
Speaker 6: Like COVID.
Speaker 7: He was like, oh, ridiculous, Like I can't see you, Like this's so stupid, like no one's even got it, you know, and you know, so everything is all right and amazing here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so yes, the round ball.
Speaker 5: So he uh he My memories of growing up his dad in the middle of the night, I could hear him listening to like you you're you know you wait for Champions League in the middle of night, or cheering on Liverpool or just watching soccer all my life, I could hear him. So then he became involved with soccer administration growing up. So back then it was called the NSL, the National Soccer League, And I have memories, really early memories as a five or six year old going to es marks Field where that was played, and he would take me with him. He'd be in his suit because he was in the back office, but he was watching and I remember going in the sheds with him as a little girl, and that smell and that I was there for the hot chips.
Speaker 6: Right like I didn't know what I was going for.
Speaker 5: I didn't really watch, but it's just a funny story because then ultimately that's where I'm hanging out around smelly footballers. So I think, you know, I always loved sport. I grew up playing sport. I didn't go to a sporty school. I wasn't particularly.
Speaker 6: Gifted at sport, but loved the thrill, the drama.
Speaker 1: Everything about real time drama is unmatched amazing.
Speaker 3: So your dad do you think planted the seed?
Speaker 6: Dad planned it, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 5: And brothers as well, Like I was dragged around to watch them play so rugby, league, rugby. I watched football with them on the weekends on the TV.
Speaker 3: When did journalism come in to play that?
Speaker 5: I honestly don't think it was really legitimately an idea until I finished my first degree. So I went to UNI at eighteen did commerce marketing. Thought I'll go into event management, like I don't know, and then it was only until I sort of sat back when I'm not really happy doing this?
Speaker 6: What do I want to do? I loved writing.
Speaker 5: I always did well at school in writing, and I was going to the footy all the time.
Speaker 6: I you know.
Speaker 5: Anyway, I just basically made a huge decision to change careers at about twenty two, twenty three, I just finished a four year degree.
Speaker 1: It's also, like you always hear that story. Its like I started accounting and now I'm a car salesman, Like like I studied something for so long to realize that I don't want.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 6: Of course, how good?
Speaker 5: And then I thought, great, my beautiful Hungarian dad and mum are going to really.
Speaker 6: Love that conversation, like I'm going back to study again. And it was fine. I think because I had a plan.
Speaker 5: I had to have it all laid out. I said, I'm going to work in the day. I'm going to do this fire correspondence. I'm going to get jobs everywhere I can. I'm going to get my foot in the door. Like, no worries as long as you've you know, you've got a path and you know what your endgame is. And I think they saw in me that I was very determined, and yeah, I did. I think when you know what your dream is, and you can set your sights on it. I think if I was airy fairy about it, I just want to go back and study and have a plan and live off you, they'd be like, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Notmin It was always going to be journalism within sports.
Speaker 5: Yes, I always wanted to do sports, So I went and worked in every actually spent a year working at the Footy Show back in two thousand six.
Speaker 6: So that tells you how old I am now twelve me too, Yeah, let's not go there.
Speaker 5: But I was a production assistant back then with Maddie was on the show Stlow, Maddie and the Chief. So it was the original group because not the original but.
Speaker 3: The back back then the show was enormous. Yeah, like it was.
Speaker 2: Massive and it was just men.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I did a year on that and the only female on the show was Lady Luck.
Speaker 6: I don't even remember Lady Luck.
Speaker 5: Because again would Yeah, and this week the beautiful Alik Greuzleskie I think or Natalie was on.
Speaker 6: Remember that because it was probably four.
Speaker 2: I was six.
Speaker 3: I was just coming in.
Speaker 2: I was full transparency. I was sixteen.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, so you probably won't watch of my life. You were going a good time. You probably went watching the footy show every Thursday. But my job there was to organize stuff for the skits and to get the food for Thursday show and then also get some archive vision, which was the part I actually really enjoyed, going into the wide world of sports like archive and like back then it was all on tapes.
Speaker 6: It's very different now. And you know, I just loved rugby league.
Speaker 5: But what I probably realized then was whilst I loved that year, it was so fun, I wanted to be a part of the conversation. I wanted to talk footy, I wanted to It just honed the fact that I wanted to be part of the sports broadcasting, not Lady Luck, like no disrespect, but there wasn't anyone other than Lady Luck in a female role. And then it was that year that Fox Sports News launched, so at that time I looked tried to get a job there, but it was really like tricky. Everyone wanted to work there. And I got a job in Fox Sports in the logging department, which is basically like watching sport and logging every moment.
Speaker 3: That sounds great, Yeah, I know have heard That's what I did because.
Speaker 1: Being I mean, being a female trying to get your foot into such a it's dominated by men. Like it's so obvious and like it's so great now like that there's all these different women reporters and you know, giving an analysis on the game, like trying to get in back.
Speaker 2: Then give us an idea of what that was like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think into the newsroom not such an issue because there were so many women already qualified and wanting to be in the sports newsroom, like a number of them now is still all over in sports roles like Jessica Yates, is there, Sarah Jones in Melbourne and AFL. So getting into sport not such a big thing. But getting into rugby league, I guess initially yes, not as many of us. Now it has changed a lot. Most of our hosts on Fox League of women. Yeah, so that probably shows you how much it has changed in the eighteen years that I've been at Fox Sports.
Speaker 6: Again, I started when I was twelve, remember.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've been there a very long time. But yeah, for sure at the beginning, of course, there's difficulty, but I don't think it's because, of course there's a natural thing to say, Oh, there wasn't a place for women. There would have been people, and I probably just didn't want to give them airtime. In my own head, that thought, oh what place does a woman have? I had my sight set on doing it and that was just going to be me. I'm going to try my hardest and prove my worth and show that I have the credentials. But I think if you focus on those people too.
Speaker 6: Much, you're not going to get there.
Speaker 5: But ultimately it had to change because if you want to reflect the fan base and reflect where society's at, it was just going to be a natural passage of time. And there was a lot of women already doing media coverage in the papers, in radio. They just hadn't conquered the TV.
Speaker 1: But on your boys and the husband, can we go back to how you met your husband?
Speaker 6: Have you had any recent on this?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Maybe not?
Speaker 3: You telling we've been speaking to Anthony during the weeks, giving us a lot of information.
Speaker 5: Can I can I introduce Anthony with something? Oh so, I wouldn't be a journalist if I didn't bring something.
Speaker 2: You are prepared just for those listings.
Speaker 6: Remember what I said to you when we met you in Vegas?
Speaker 2: Do you know who is.
Speaker 5: Can you recognize that for people on the podcast. Laras just revealed a beautiful modeling image.
Speaker 2: This is Matthew Johnson. No tea, Matthew Johnson.
Speaker 6: You can take it out. There's actually a second one that I think is a little even the same. It's the same photo. But what's happening with.
Speaker 5: Just to explain, this is my husband's business, the Academy brand, and back in the day when the business first started, Maddie was one of the very first models.
Speaker 6: And when you approached me in Vegas.
Speaker 5: I was like, Maddie the model and Maddie wasn't that I.
Speaker 1: Forgot about that whole conversation when we were interviewing you.
Speaker 6: You're about to interview me the Maddie.
Speaker 5: You probably don't know me or remember me, but you were one of my husband's very first models for his floating business.
Speaker 2: You've got a little Reese Maston about you, the.
Speaker 5: Long hair into the ruins that catal the campaign into the ruins. I'm just like, because there's something you can.
Speaker 2: Do with that, very good.
Speaker 6: I love you had to bring.
Speaker 5: Something to get you on because it's not all about me, it's you guys.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, we'll make sure this is onus. Thank you for that.
Speaker 1: I've got some old photos of many j that I've got stored away that I've done some deep diving onto, and you've just added to it, add to that your husband.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Avian, I I think you've called child sweet arts. We meant we met after school, but it's a long time ago, so I feel like we're almost child with sweethearts. But we have a great story. We tell the kids that, of course he liked me, I didn't like him. He wore a brown leather jacket when I first met him.
Speaker 8: Therefore, and yeah he looked like a creep, so like him, and the kids like that.
Speaker 6: You know, that's the story.
Speaker 5: You know, Mum liked dad, Dad, No, Dad like Mummum didn't like dad.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 6: It is true? I liked like I liked There was a spark there for sure. He was funny. Is funny?
Speaker 3: What was holding you back?
Speaker 2: Fashion sense?
Speaker 6: Definitely?
Speaker 5: Seriously seriously but he will laugh at this. He was super confident. He is super confident. He wore clothes like no one else would wear them. He was very fashion forward and he was a trailblazer. He was and but also like the most affable, easygoing, confident guy, and I think purely he was interested in me made me not interested in.
Speaker 6: Him because I'm so young.
Speaker 5: And he kept asking me for coffee and I was like, coffee, you were nineteen.
Speaker 1: Give me a goon bag and I'll be the good fortune.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, a year later, he stopped being interested and went on a trip to Greece with his mates, and I went, oh, come back, and he did come back, and he looked hot because he was brown and amazing, and suddenly I liked him. And I think I sent a really awkward text message, but reading through the lines, he was like, Okay, she likes me and I don't.
Speaker 3: Want to say it.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: Now this is a terrible like for anyone who's single and going, how can I get that guy?
Speaker 2: Do it?
Speaker 3: Just write this message?
Speaker 6: I just know I don't want to come on. I think it's not a big deal. It's over.
Speaker 5: I think I just said something like my other tables. See this is the oversharing.
Speaker 6: I did not want to do anyway, but that was all and then I turned.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 5: I turned it off for like a day.
Speaker 6: I was on a shift.
Speaker 5: I used to work at a bar, and I sent it and went on shift turned it off, and I was so frightened because I just put it all out there, like that's all I said.
Speaker 2: But that was it, and then.
Speaker 6: I didn't Yeah that's so bad. It worked, that was it?
Speaker 5: So yeah that and it was pretty like straight up serious from then on, Like I went traveling after UNI and we were apart for that time, but pretty.
Speaker 6: Much after that we've been together since we were really young. And yeah, got married.
Speaker 5: I did make him wait for everything though, like I was not ready to get married and we got married. Then I wasn't ready to have kids, you know, I was happy with you know, I wanted to career.
Speaker 6: I was very career driven.
Speaker 3: And there was Anthony pushing kids. Initially I was too.
Speaker 5: Like I wanted always wanted a family, but it got to the point where he's like, Okay, what's happening with that? And also over involved hungarian father, what's happening with that?
Speaker 6: Love your dad?
Speaker 5: But I think mostly when people then pushed me in one direction, I would always go the other way. So I think I was like, well, it's about when I'm ready, it's not about when everyone else is ready.
Speaker 3: So then when do you figure out when the right time is then with your career.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there wasn't probably ever going to be a right time. You just needed to be ready to take a break and also if you can time it in the off season, which worked well with the first two. The third it was by then I was like, whatever happens happened. So we had Lockie he's nine now, and then Cooper he was two years just under two years later, and then Hamish was a COVID baby, and yeah, he's he's the best. I mean they're all the best, but you know, the third's always the big one. Are you going to do the third? And absolutely no regrets. He's a firecracker and hilarious and complex family.
Speaker 3: How old now?
Speaker 6: Four?
Speaker 2: Four? Okay, yeah, so you've got nine seven seven four?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Three?
Speaker 3: How three boys? I think I asked this question and think about Laura, who was someone who really struggles to stop working every second of the day, whether it be during the evening, weekend, it's no difference. She's always working. And I imagine that you're cut from the same cloth. So when you're having to take time off to have the baby, how did you deal with that?
Speaker 5: I found it hard. I didn't want to have like a year off. That was just how I was. I probably think back on it now and I probably would say that I should have had more of a break.
Speaker 6: We always do that to ourselves.
Speaker 5: Though, and also knowing who he is now, Oh, I think he probably could have done with me being one hundred percent committed to being home twenty four to seven. My husband will hate that I'm blaming myself for anything, and I'm not, but I just think, you know, you always think as a parent how you could do things differently, but I wasn't. I wasn't gone seven days or anything when I had him in January. I think the season started in March obviously, and I was initially only doing like one and a half days a week, so you know, that's not I don't think a lot. I may have mentally been checked out more than if I was at home full time. Then with Cooper, he was born in November, so I had from November to March off.
Speaker 6: Still doesn't sound like a long time.
Speaker 1: I picked my like my wife had both twelve months since off for both of that years, and like that's fairly common, like six to twelve months, but to go back after if you break that down into weeks. It's not that much like you're I mean, my sister went back to work ten weeks after because she's a business owner, so and I could see how disheveled she was, how how it didn't benefit her or so I can imagine it's you wanted to go back to work, then it must be really hard thinking is this the right or the wrong decision?
Speaker 5: I also think you go, there's got to be a part of you that goes well. I don't want to lose where I was. And that's not no pressure from work, because Fox have been absolutely amazing and supportive. It's it's just internal where you go. Of course, I want to keep doing what I was doing, and if I'm out of sight, I'm out of mind, and maybe I won't come back to the same job. And again that's all self inflicted.
Speaker 2: You don't want to.
Speaker 1: You think, oh, I don't want to miss an opportunity as well, like you never know, things can happen, things can change all the time, and you think, Okay, if.
Speaker 2: I'm not there, then someone else is going to get the opportunity.
Speaker 3: And I know that.
Speaker 5: Of course, the baby stage and the newborn stage, you should absolutely be there for every single moment if you can. But I actually will say it gets harder. Like the older they get, the more they need you. I know that a newborn needs you a hunt, but right now, like just pure logistics, three of them right now, it's and the emotional stuff it continues and other challenges as they get over.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If I'm with babies, you're like, okay, it needs to be fed, needs to be changed, needs to sleep, we need to get that into a routine. But as they get older, it's like they need to be they need to be fed, we need to put them to bed, need to have them a bath, to make sure that they're emotionally okay, physically okay, yeah, they're learning, they're you know, they're they're behaving there that you know, there's so much more to it does get harder. I can't imagine, you know, nine and seven, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 6: Definitely, yeah, just different challenges though.
Speaker 5: I think every time we go, I mean I have my I have a number of mum friends and my two closest girlfriends who will often have conversations and it's like what's the latest stuff, Like after school drop off, there's something to talk about.
Speaker 6: Nearly every day about what's happened that morning.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much podcast.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what happened to you today was the biggest meltdown in your house or so?
Speaker 3: Yeah, then how do you manage that with Anthony? I think it's always the biggest unknown with couples going into having kids is how you share the responsibilities. Some men are great, others require a bit more work. I initially was a bit shit.
Speaker 2: And I heard you dance around. Some need a little bit more work, some of hopeless. Yeah that's better.
Speaker 6: It depends what your dynamic is that right? Like somehow how was.
Speaker 3: Your dynamic with Anthony pre kids and then having kids?
Speaker 5: I think he knew that he was going to what was in for well, yeah, I think he knew he was going to be hands on. That was who he was. That's who I fell in love with. I think a very family oriented person who loved children. And also he knew I had a job and work, so it was going to be a juggle. I don't think we completely knew at all how it was going to feel a look but uh, I often joke that he's the better half of our half. Don't know how you sit on your relationship, but he's like the funny guy, the outgoing guy, can handle everything.
Speaker 6: I'm like the frazzled person. A lot going on with you.
Speaker 3: Probably our wives will disagree.
Speaker 6: Are you the better half of your half?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: I'm happy to give him arout. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, he's a really hands on dad. I feel like this is my moment to give him credit because he doesn't get it often enough. At home, he is very invested, and the reason why it doesn't get enough credit is because I feel that he should be and he's married someone that wants that and wants that for the children and for him to be hands on. I think the part that is still a huge struggle. I don't know if it's the same for your partners, but the women in my mind still carry a lot of the mental load. So and then he's hugely hands on, like in every physical aspect with the boy's connect it in and gets them everywhere, But in terms of logistics and needing to know where they're going, what uniform, what permission slip, whose birthday, who's getting the present, whose social diary is doing what like, that's still a part that in my in my opinion, the mum usually he's across all those extra details so that's.
Speaker 1: Exactly like my dynamic Abril. I wouldn't know where we're going tomorrow, yeah, but she does. I'll just get us there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So like Saturday, well this week, any weekend, I'm usually on the road for footy, so I'll still we'll still have to have those conversations about the logistics and what's happening and where we got you know, and you know, and that's totally fine, but there's that like that the mouse on the wheel, like constantly thinking about what's the next thing.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of moms listening will probably want to know how do they get their husband to be more like Anthony? Did you have to did you have to train him to be? Like what's that program looking like?
Speaker 6: Can you give a shout out to my mother in law?
Speaker 3: Or do that's just the way that he was?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I think so that's the I think that's the way he was dynamic.
Speaker 2: So few of us, there is so few of us.
Speaker 5: He wants to be hands on. He wants me well, but you know, like there's always a bit of training. When we first moved in together, he needed a few kicks up the pick up your towel please, I'm not on the bed, the garbage out. That's your job, not doing that. I'll do a lot of the jobs. He still doesn't, you know what, I've painted him to be perfect washing he doesn't like, do you do loads of washing and drying and hanging out and stuff. That's one thing he still doesn't. So sorry, he's not perfect. There's plenty I can you want me to just some dirt.
Speaker 6: I got some.
Speaker 1: We we do because there's a lot of petty stories that come out of it, like, oh, wash my stuff and not apriles if she has annoyed me, Matt hangoutt Matt, was.
Speaker 2: It you hang out your stuff only? We definitely both do laundry April, that's true. It is easy.
Speaker 5: You need to come and chat to him, because that's far that we still haven't conquered. He finds that too hard.
Speaker 1: Lau is within your control, I find and if it's within your control, you can manage it.
Speaker 3: I would rather do laundry than feed a toddler.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, he does all the he's good with that, cooking, feeding and all of that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's fine. You got to pick your battles. Like some of the things. I'm like, Okay, that's in my lane. But recycling garbage all that, I don't care if it's overflowing.
Speaker 3: That is your job, does it? How is it for you? Then? As a as a mum speaking to other mums where your dynamic is quite different to the norm, do you have that internalized mum guilt.
Speaker 5: About the dynamic of Anthony and I or working mum.
Speaker 3: I guess you're if you're comparing kind of war stories as a parent and your stories are a bit different because you weren't running to the football on the weekend for your boys. You were working on the weekend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I think there's a balance, right.
Speaker 5: So I've also got my work down pat where part of the weekend I'm available, so I make sure that I'm not completely missing because that would be the worst. That's when the mum gelt would one hundred percent takeover. So some days I'm off, I've made sure that that's a day that I can be there.
Speaker 6: For that's when they play rugby league, so it's quite a good day to have off.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I think all my mum friends have a different dynamic at home. Some of them are working moms, some of them are full time stay at home moms.
Speaker 6: But we've all got issues going on, and we all relate on that.
Speaker 5: Like everyone has got stuff on their plate trying to navigate problems with the kids or dramas or school issues, social, So it's it doesn't matter what your dynamic is. Yeah, I don't feel I don't feel like it's any different. I think, you know, of course, like my work takes me away from stuff.
Speaker 3: So how do you deal with those situations where there is an event when they be daycare or yeah that's school.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like Saturday, all the mum's caught up for lunch.
Speaker 5: I miss the mom's lunch, you know, like just a bit of social time with the mums. Yeah, I find that I'm just going to miss out on things. But that's pretty much the way it is from February to October. And then you know, my summers are pretty good and I can hopefully squish in as much quality time.
Speaker 3: It's like, mom, enough, are you?
Speaker 1: I mean when they are teenagers they'll probably be a bit more like that, But now, I mean, especially with boys, like I have one boy. He is mummy's little boy. Yes, I can imagine having three mummies little boys. April is the default parent as we jo. It's a lot and they must hang off.
Speaker 2: Here as well when you're around.
Speaker 6: So is your boy like, how would you describe his demeanor? Is he alpha?
Speaker 1: Is he he's scared of his own shadow? Yeah, but he you know, he can be quite strong willed, but a lot of the time he's he's shy.
Speaker 3: But at the same time.
Speaker 2: He is, Well, you're trying to kidnap him, long star.
Speaker 6: It's a long start because you are clearly enamored with him, to.
Speaker 3: Down with him by growing down. I tried to drag him into a room.
Speaker 2: A hotel room on a boat, and he.
Speaker 3: Didn't go down. Well, he is I'd say he is an introvert. He plays like the way that he plays. He was like, I feel like he would in the pool, for example, he'd be trying to flip in the pool. And he loves that rough play.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does, but he's he's quite timid as well.
Speaker 5: So come to my house and see seriously, like every day is just like pick your own adventure. This morning husband got up, Anthony went to play golf this morning. Actually, So whether you want to give that a tick or a cross, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Condoned golf. So the mother's out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a long hobby to have.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I feel like that's.
Speaker 6: Anyway.
Speaker 5: The point is he went to golf. So I got up a six thirty, jumped in the shower. The three of them were in my room. I was like, hey, your close are there, go start getting ready. All I hear is can you smell.
Speaker 6: My you know? And I'm like, oh fuck. And then there's just it.
Speaker 5: You know, someone's ends up punching someone because they've just started rumbling and it's physical.
Speaker 3: It only stops when someone gets hurt.
Speaker 6: Yes, it's.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we know how to wind ourselves back down again. We're just winding ourselves up for the day.
Speaker 3: So you had many trips to the emergency room.
Speaker 5: Do you know what, We've been super lucky, Absolutely remarkably lucky. I don't know how we've avoided it. But every day is like flirting with that for sure. I'm not joking. Every every toy can be a weapon, Every door can become a finger for issue. You know, my son's just stairs in your house, stairs falling downstairs.
Speaker 6: They're bouncy and they the kids.
Speaker 5: Are stairs, like imagine when when you see them falling over, I'm like, oh, my god, I'd be my back would.
Speaker 2: Be out down the stairs out for a month.
Speaker 6: You would have snapped up. They know, they just bounced back.
Speaker 5: We haven't had a lot of we haven't got any dramatic trips that which would touchwood.
Speaker 6: But yeah, just constant battle.
Speaker 5: Like in the morning they get out of the car and I'm like, how did it like assaulted my senses for the.
Speaker 6: Hour that they were after they woke up.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I think talking about boys, initially you have them and the baby and they're.
Speaker 6: Like you know that.
Speaker 5: But then they become these little crazy people and and that's when I had to start reading and sort of getting informed about why they're so different to girls. And I know that that sounds ridiculous. I feel silly even saying it.
Speaker 3: But we get a lot of people who asked that question, how do you pairent boys and girls differently?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So do you know Maggie Dent? Have you heard of Maggie Dent? She's a not read her mothering.
Speaker 3: She's a big fan of her work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I've brought the book so you can read. Yeah, I've got for all this stuff. I know, I love, love.
Speaker 5: Brought stuff mothering our boys it's it just explains the dynamic and how different boys are to girls in me.
Speaker 6: So there's rooster boy or a lamb.
Speaker 2: Boy, right, it's so confused.
Speaker 5: So a rooster boys very alpha, very like in your face. That's why I asked you your son might be a mix of both. When a lamb is traditionally like a sort of I wouldn't say soft in a negative way, but like a calmer maybe would be found doing puzzles, reading books, being calm.
Speaker 6: And then my boys are like three roosters.
Speaker 5: So the dynamic of understanding they need and they have energy, they need X, Y and Z. Have a ball in the boot all the time. Take them to the park to kick. If they're off the charts, it's usually an emotional reason for that. If they're not listening to you, it's not because they're being rude, it's often because they can't hear you, and.
Speaker 1: You're like, what, like, I just don't do that, my chiller.
Speaker 5: And they listen and they're emotionally connected differently girls to boys, And I don't want boys to feel different, but I think they have different needs.
Speaker 6: At a younger age to girls.
Speaker 5: Like boys can come across as being naughty or needing to be toughened up, whereas you would never say that to a girl tough enough. So anyway, her book's fascinating, Like she has a chapter called I think food, fun and farts like boys seriously, Like clearly you still feel that way.
Speaker 6: Boys like that and little boys like that.
Speaker 5: Like if there's an opportunity to break the craziness with some humor or silliness or silly songs or yeah, toilet humor, anything like that, that's what they love. You be cushions.
Speaker 3: Like when you found out you were having a third boy.
Speaker 6: I didn't know what I was having. Each time was surprise.
Speaker 3: Time was your reaction? Do you remember when you.
Speaker 6: Just like I knew it, Like I just knew it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, really, yeah knew it.
Speaker 3: I just yeah that you understood how boys operation you.
Speaker 5: Probably, yeah, I would love to have known what it would be like to have a daughter. The dynamic would be different in the house for sure. I mean, who knows, I could have had it like a really dominant alpha girl as well. But I think we have a niece who comes over a lot, who's the same age as my eldest, and I call her the calming goat, like she could come over whenever she was.
Speaker 6: Can the calming goat please come over and sleep?
Speaker 5: Because she's just she walks in and she's chill, and the boys come to her level and when.
Speaker 6: She's not there, I'm like, a.
Speaker 5: She just relaxes them and they get mesmerized by her.
Speaker 1: Out of the three, who's the naughtiest?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: So hard? It depends what day.
Speaker 3: Change the bat.
Speaker 2: Together in the morning, Ye're up. You want a good performance.
Speaker 6: I want to see mom lose it because of.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 2: She swears ten point Yeah.
Speaker 6: I'm like, don't swear.
Speaker 5: And I've got like, I've tried some all sorts of things to stop them from being naughty. And then they're like, but you're doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got on a technique. What's the naughtiest thing that they've done?
Speaker 6: My gosh, what's the naughtiest thing?
Speaker 2: What springs to mind?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: My gosh.
Speaker 5: I mean they got into a rock fight with the neighbors once tell us about that, and the neighbor's kid threw a rock and it smashed the pool fence.
Speaker 6: That was awesome. I was at a game and get the call.
Speaker 5: From Oh, the neighbors just smash them, And you know, I'm like, who started it? He's like, I don't know, just like who thinks it's a good idea to start throwing rocks like this size over the fence at each other?
Speaker 3: These type of stories that I always thought I wanted boys, and I hear that, I'm like, thank goodness, I've got two girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do want to know though, because we always have myself and Laura the talk of the third third. Be honest, yeah, be honest with me. Here do you regret having Hamish?
Speaker 5: I will not be the person that comes on your podcast and says, don't have three children.
Speaker 6: I will say, go for it. I will also tell you.
Speaker 5: I will tell you that a lot of people did say don't before we had three, Like people are quite happy to tell you that have three.
Speaker 6: Don't do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah they've got three, and they're going you're out numbered, and they would.
Speaker 6: Further down the track.
Speaker 5: So I should have probably taken on board. But again, you tell me to do something, I usually do the opposite.
Speaker 3: So that was the hardest phase.
Speaker 5: Now when when probably now yeah, baby stage, he was the best blessing. Like we had him in COVID the world was horrible. We you know, we weren't even stuck inside here in Sydney like everyone in Melbourne. But he brought a like there was very stressful for business, so you know Anthony's business, a lot of stress around that. So to have him at home was such a happy time. He just brought so much light and happiness and he was adorable and the boys, you know, adored him from them like the first two don't always adore each other. They fight a lot because there's a sibling rivalry there. But he brought this, oh my god, there's a baby that.
Speaker 6: Needs them, needs mum. They kind of accepted that.
Speaker 5: They don't accept it around each other, but him it's okay because he's the baby.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I would say do it it.
Speaker 5: Just know that it's a lot that you are outnumbered and when you're doing things like simple things, I'm not simple.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this will make sense, but I'll ask this question. When I had Lola, you know, the biggest change was that, all of a sudden, my time was split between two kids. You know, it was so easy to give Maley so much attention when it was just her and the picture. Yeah, my worry is that with three kids, all of a sudden, your time is diluted again, Is that the case you didn't think it is? I wish, yeah, I wish I had you know, yeah, and giving enough.
Speaker 5: There's all these like posts on Instagram like make sure you spend ten minutes of quality time with each child a day at all.
Speaker 6: No, just you too, though, like I don't have that time.
Speaker 2: Oh. I was like, I've just grouped all together.
Speaker 6: You can't go. It's supposed to meet their needs.
Speaker 5: It's so hard, Like there'll be these beautiful dads, they say, I take my each child on a walk, like every every day, I choose a different child to spend that time with. And I'm like, it's unrealistic. I don't have that time. You wish you had time to have one on one time. You don't they do? I should say they want that one. I think it is really challenging, the spreading your time amongst the three, and they do feel it, of course.
Speaker 6: They feel it.
Speaker 5: And half their poor behavior is because they're furious that they haven't got you to themselves.
Speaker 6: And that's what you forget. Get cranky at them and you're like, why are you being so annoying?
Speaker 5: Because they want to tell you about their day and this is the other ones are like it and they don't get their airtime.
Speaker 6: So yeah, that part is definitely hard.
Speaker 1: TV pun By the way, with that one, the airtime, you said totally, I want to go back just a little bit.
Speaker 2: So and we did skip over something there. Motherhood.
Speaker 1: Early on you had some health struggles, do you mind telling Sure?
Speaker 6: So I loved being pregnant.
Speaker 5: Most women hate being pregnant, so I'm one of those annoying people who.
Speaker 6: Really loved it. Yeah. I felt really well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was really lucky, felt really well. I enjoyed it, like just didn't feel uncomfortable, lucky, very lucky.
Speaker 2: Did you have any particular cravy just.
Speaker 6: Little Elberg little how many? I ate like it would be awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I had a lot of chicken burgers.
Speaker 2: She loved Parsley.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's little Elburgers that.
Speaker 2: We have a little.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of chicken. I might have one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So all three brains were great and then but afterwards didn't feel great, so, you know, very fatigued, like beyond fatigue, like walk walking up the stairs like felt I'm like breathless.
Speaker 6: And then I just was like, am I being a hypochondriac?
Speaker 5: Because I can be a hypochondriact sometimes and went to the GP and he's like, Lara, you've gone back.
Speaker 6: To work quite quickly.
Speaker 3: It's a bit run down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might be just.
Speaker 5: A you're tired, you've got you've got a baby, and that's fine. That's yeah, fair cool. And I don't blame him. I still love him. He's my GP and everything.
Speaker 6: It's fine.
Speaker 5: But it took a while, but I think I think it was about eight months after I had the first we did more comprehensive blood tests and you found that my firoroid wasn't functioning properly. So essentially what it was was postpartum viroiditist, which is like a post baby reaction my thyroid where the hormones that it's supposed to produce are not on the right levels, and it can make you either feel if it's underactive, it can make you feel really depressed and slow, or if it's overactive, it makes you feel like you're on speed. And I was I think at the time, I was overactive. So I was like, my heart rate was always really jittery, and yeah, so how.
Speaker 3: Long are we dealing with it before you got diagnosed?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I probably had it straight like pretty much after I had him, so eight months postpartum before we figured it out.
Speaker 2: It's a long term and if you don't, you also don't know what you don't know. So you like, Okay, I've had is my first baby. I don't know what my body's supposed to be like after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like we do heavily rely on professionals to give us that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also you know when they do more extensive it's just because you're just not feeling right. Do you remember any other like like, so you're saying you're breathless, remember any other symptoms?
Speaker 5: I felt like anxious, like really anxious, and then I lost all the baby weight really quickly, right, And most people like.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, how amaze.
Speaker 5: But you're like, I know that sounds nice, but I felt unwell, So I was like, anyway, short story is that all those symptoms, like losing the weight, all of that super quickly is babe basically telling you that your farrow was not working. It leveled itself out. I had Cooper. It was worse after Cooper.
Speaker 6: It went bad.
Speaker 3: How do you medicate that well?
Speaker 5: So you couldn't They can't get so when you're over you're creating too much of this of the hormone, so there's nothing really they can do other than give you something to calm the jittery. If you're under underactive, so you're not producing enough, they can give you thuroxen So I think with Cooper, I eventually ended up being underactive, so I took some of that for a while, but it normalized and then I had Hamish and I didn't have anything, so it was yeah, so with him it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: That's why.
Speaker 6: He just made me happy.
Speaker 5: To be fair, I probably should have known. I love my mum to death, but when I mentioned my broad shees, oh yeah, I've had some of those, you know, like just a typical like that's just so dificul a mom. She just wouldn't have thought to mention it. And the doctor's like, yeah, it's genetic, thanks mom.
Speaker 3: Perfect.
Speaker 6: We could have got to the botto of it a little bit.
Speaker 2: So up.
Speaker 3: Before we recorded, you mentioned that your family you've not slept in them right bed since COVID.
Speaker 6: Or I tried to think about the date I reckon I could.
Speaker 5: Count on one hand that we've all slept in the right beds.
Speaker 2: Bed going it's like five years.
Speaker 3: How does it normally work?
Speaker 1: Her?
Speaker 6: Okay, I had perfect babies. They all slept well.
Speaker 5: I had them in a strict routine four hourly sleeps, feeds, sleep, feeds, sleep. Then my eldest got to three or four and started to get night terrors. And just as he's gotten older, he's become more scared at night, which is just what we're dealing with him. He's the nine The seven year olds are chiller, like he could he'll sleep anyway. But I think he's just following him now. And now the last six months or so, the hey mish just started. Well, I'm getting up like if everyone else is getting up in the middle of night. So we all go to bed in the right spot. The night starts off fine, but then.
Speaker 6: You hear.
Speaker 5: Which one is it, and it's usually the eldest first, and he comes in like a thunderbolt of lightning because he's had a dream. So you hear him like and then he jumps in your bed and you're like fast asleep. You're like just get into bed like we used to get up to try. And we've been going on a journey with him, but we've gotten to the point where are like, sleep's more important. We want him to not be so worried about it. It's not a big deal. He'll grow out of it. It's not forever.
Speaker 1: You're knocking all the doors fifteen and still doing it.
Speaker 6: We'll kick him out.
Speaker 3: But also similar here, like it's kind of nice.
Speaker 6: It's okay for one, but not free and free. We have a king sized bed. Usually then the next one will come in.
Speaker 5: We've got a mattress on them floor, and the mattress is there for like, I don't know, just yes, do.
Speaker 3: You ever end up in the kids like last night?
Speaker 6: No, Anthony was in the spare room last night.
Speaker 5: He ended up in there because you go, I can't say I've got someone's knees or in my back.
Speaker 6: I'm like pushing someone away and you both you're both.
Speaker 5: Looking waiting for one to get up and leave, and you know, we take turns. I won't get up every night and leave the room, but yeah, ultimately we're in it a patch five ye, a long patch of lack of sleep, Like I don't know what uninterrupted sleep is unless I'm on the road.
Speaker 1: Like magic, there'd be so many parents listening right now, going, oh my god, this is my life. Yeah, last night, last night, I like it was like eleven thirty and I'm not usually up that late.
Speaker 2: I just couldn't sleep.
Speaker 1: And then I hear the door open because they share a room and they've got white noise still for my younger.
Speaker 2: So I hear the door open and the white nose go.
Speaker 1: It comes and then it goes, and then I hear that, and I'm just like oh, and then sick of But sometimes I'll just go You get into bed with marm and I'll just go straight to the Israel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you want to have a good night sleep right, Yeah, it's que for a minute.
Speaker 2: For a minute until he starts elbowing me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like we could talk to you for a long time, but you have places to be, you do. Holy shit. Last question before you go, I would like to know when your boys are all grown up, they're no longer at home, they're no longer kicking you in the back in bed, what is the one thing you would like them to remember about the house that they grew up.
Speaker 5: I hope that they think of it as a loving, warm and open home. I think that they'll remember it as a crazy house where Mum and dad lost their up.
Speaker 6: They will.
Speaker 5: The legit of it is, they'll the funny stuff will be, you know how crazy they sent us like, it will be. But I want them to always know that they can come home be with us. They love family, their best memories of being as a family, So I want them to be resilient people.
Speaker 6: I want them to be happy. That's like the most important thing for me.
Speaker 5: Is that they're happy and confident when they grew up that they had a loving and warm home. I love except maybe yeah, less screaming, remember all of it, but it will forget.
Speaker 2: But yeah, thank you so much for jumping on.
Speaker 6: See you in Vegas again.
Speaker 3: So who knows when you will bump into us next? You'll see us?
Speaker 5: Yeah, behind you the Brisbane Grand Final.
Speaker 3: Maybe at least we're not dragon support.
Speaker 6: Oh that is a nasty way to end.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, Bye.
Speaker 6: Bye.
Speaker 3: Two. Doting Dad's podcast acknowledges the traditional custodians of country throughout Australia and the connections to land, sea and community.
Speaker 1: We pay our respects to their elders past and present and extend that respect to all Aboriginal and Torres straight on the People's Today.
Speaker 2: This episode was recorded on gadigle Land,