Speaker 1: Do you know someone who has had bow cancer or breast cancer? A number of different types of cancer are on the rise, especially in young people. And on today's episode of The Nutrition Couch, we have some new research to share which dells deeper into the disturbing rise in the incidence of cancer in young people. Hi, I'm Cusie Barrel and I'm Lea and Mott, and together we bring you The Nutrition Couch, the weekly podcast that keeps you up to date on everything you need to know in the world of nutrition, as well as the latest in cancer research. We have a new diet study which has a novel approach to structuring your weekly meal plans. We review a popular new porridge for winter, Don't Worry up today, and our listener question is all about fiber powders prayer healthy tummy, so Leanne. This is a lot of your specialist area. Because I have to be honest, I'm certainly asking a lot more of my clients about their routine health checks. So you know, have you had your boobs done not in an uplifting way, have you changed your boobs? Have you, you know, had a bow cancer screening test? And a lot of clients are onto it. I think particularly out to listen to the nutrition couch because we're constantly referring to medical tests that you should get done at certain ages, but sometimes clients are like, oh no, I haven't been told that. So we're constantly reminding people about you know, there's a lot more we can do lifestyle wise, but also prevention wise for a number of different types of cancer. But that doesn't change the fact that we're seeing dramatic rises in aggressive cancers, particularly digestive cancers, in young people. And we know if we catch them early that there's a great prognosis. But for young people, I'm talking people in their twenties and thirties, you know, sometimes the cancers are quite far advanced and they can't do a huge amount, and so there has to be something happening out there lifestyle wise. So this was a study that just popped up last week, and I'm going to hand over to you because digestive health is really your area, and it's fascinating because it's just a really fascinating piece of research suggesting why this is happening, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? One hundred percent, And I think we've seen more and more come out about different types of cancers, the risks increasing and the young people. Like in the Western world, the cancer risk in young people is absolutely exploded and there has to be a reason for that, and our poor Western style diet absolutely has to be a key part of that. Our excessive amounts of alcohol. Let's be honest, Australians like to drink. Like if you go out to a barbecue and you say I'm not drinking, people are like, are you pregnant? Like there's something wrong with you if you're the one not having a drink. It's so natural and common to over drink to overeat in our culture that it's not a good thing and I don't think it's really helping us out as a society. So whenever we do see new research regarding cancer risks, we really should sit up and take notice of it, even if it's small studies, because there's new and new stuff coming to the market all the time. But this was really groundbreaking new research. I haven't seen anything like this to date, and it's basically the research. The study suggests that there's a new type of gut dwelling bacteria that may potentially be behind the recent surges in the early onset of colorectal cancers. So colorectal cancers are some of the biggest types of cancers that young people in their twenties and thirties are actually dying from. And what this study is suggesting that the culprit is a toxin. It's called Coli bactin, and it's a toxin produced by certain strains of E. Colid that tends to thrive in the colon and in the rectum. So what this study found diving deeper into this Coli bactin toxin was that they believe that the exposure actually happens really early on, like basically back in our childhoods, so decades before a lot of people are actually diagnosed with something like you know, colon cancer. So the colabacterine linked mutations, they said in the research, can show up at the early stages of the tumid developments, and often this bacteria is linked back to the first ten years of life. So it seems that these young children around the ages of ten are basically being infected with this E. Coli type bacteria, and a lot of the times they're completely non symptomatic, like you wouldn't even know that you've been infected as a child, so the infection itself is quite non symptomatic, but it's very transient, so the damage can persist and hang around for decades later. But what I found a little bit alarming about the research was that the study found that about fifteen percent of the APC, which is the driver mutation of this of this cancers, so these are some of the earliest genetic changes that are directly related to promoting the cancer development. Fifteen percent of these driver mutations were linked back to this Coli bacterine type of E. Coli. So if someone acquired one of these driver mutations by the time that they're about ten years old, this could potentially be decades and decades ahead of schedule for them going on to potentially developed colon cancer later on. So instead of perhaps them getting colon cancer at sixty, they might actually be getting it a few decades earlier at forty. So it's really I guess it's fascinating, it's kind of scary, but it really does come back to why we should be so invested and interested in our kids' house, our kids nutrition, and even our nutrition, because there is a lot that we can do for many cancers from a nutrition and a lifestyle perspective. But you know, we don't want to go getting ahead of ourselves. We can't say that a equals be like this cancer is directly caused by this. It's just a new study and a new research out there to sort of, I guess, help us to understand the development of some of these some of these types of cancer. So the jury is still out on whether this new colla bacterine is the main driver behind the rises an early onset colorectal cancer cases or whether it's just one of potentially many factors involved. Because we do know that early onset colorectal cancer, there is a lot of other factors.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We've got diet and nutrition, we've got inflammation, we've got genetics, we've got environmental factors as well. So I think it's really interesting key findings. I guess for our nutrition couch listeners. There is rising incidents of cancers and young people. We used to think that cancer was something that you know, you didn't even have to think about until you were fifty, sixty, seventy eighty years old. But some of the deadliest types of colorectal cancers are diagnosed in Aussies who are twenty five to thirty years old. And we do know that there are a lot of contributing factors. Like I said, lifestyle and nutrition is huge. The more ultra processed foods, the more alcohol you have in your diet, the higher risk of being diagnosed with some of these types of cancers. Australians have very sedentary habits. We don't move anywhere near enough. Even if you go to the gym for a thirty forty minute session and then you sit down at work for eight to nine hours for the rest of the day. Then you come home and you sit on the couch and watch Netflix for another tool three hours that night. You're not moving anywhere near enough. And a lot of these sedentary, poor habits that we've got into as a nation are not serving us or helping us out from a decreasing cancer perspective later on, because exercise assolutely decreases the risk of cancer as well. We've also got environmental exposures. We're hearing more and more about, you know, different types of plastics and microplastics and forever chemicals particularly. I feel like in the last year or so, it's very very trendy online. I myself have swapped my different cooking pans. I've swapped to you know, I've got rid of my plastic chopping boards. I'm using different types. Now, I've got rid of my plastic spachelors. I'm using you know, stainless steel ones. So there's more and more of these contributing factors that we're hearing about coming out. And another big one is for young people in particular, is delaying diagnosis. You know, young people they get these symptoms and they think, you know, you know, medical professionals may potentially overlook them because they say, oh, it's just ibs, Oh that's very normal. Yet you know, all of these changes that we're seeing were the early onset of colorectal cancer and it unfortunately isn't getting diagnosed a lot later because it's just not something we think young people would have. So I guess it just brings home the basic message of balance, right, adopting a balanced diet, whole foods, more fiber, fruits and vegetables, legumes, whole grains. I'm actually getting in your pre and your probotics as well, and limiting as much as possible our ultra process foods and our alcohol and really just staying informed, knowing what is a red flag from a symptom perspective, knowing that even though you know the bow cancer screening risks, you know, I think there were fifty, but I think there's some talk it might have everyone already been done, brought down to forty, like they're actually bringing forward the bow cancer detection guidelines in terms of age, but being aware that if you've got a family history of that, if you know you've got a really poor diet, if your symptoms have changed, if you have night sweats, if you have blood in your stools, if you've had a significant alteration in terms of your bower movements, if you're losing weight unexplained. They're all big red flags to go and get checked out by your doctor, and if something doesn't feel right, push harder, go to another doctor, get some more tests run. Because you know your body best, and if things are changing and you haven't really changed much from your diet or your lifestyle perspective, it is some thing that you want to be aware of and be alert about. So I don't think there's anything much we can do well. The study didn't really go into you know, us being able to prevent us getting this type of collibacterine toxin. But it certainly does talk about you know, lifestyle and nutrition choices reducing our risks long term and early detection absolutely being key true.
Speaker 1: I think the take home message for me at this stage, well, first of all, I found it interesting because, of course they found that some certain types of ulcers were also caused by bacteria, not that long ago, you know, when for a long time we talked about ULCs being caused by stress, but actually it was a bacteria. So I think it's a fascinating area. But the take home message for me is, particularly with young people, we see so many digestive symptoms written off as irritable bow, and certainly medical professionals can be quite indifferent to us just irritable bowel ignora, you just got a sensitive tummy. So I think the key thing for anyone listening is you do notice a change in your tummy, bloating, bleeding, diarrhea, change in bour habits. It's absolutely imperative to get that explored by a professional who doesn't just say it's just irritable bow. You want the test done. I remember melshaling from Maths the same She was only in her forties and for several months her GP had said to her, ignore it, it's just irritable bowel. And she ended up having bowel cancer and it was quite advanced. It wasn't stage one. She had to have quite significant chemotherapy. So you know, don't just discard gut symptoms. And certainly I know that the free bow testing kits are available younger if you've got a family history, you can access that. But even better, you know, go and say you want a colonoscopy. You know, I think it is an elective procedure. Can you do pay a gap for it, but it's for peace of mind, you know, whether you've got polyps that are at higher risk, or really getting to the bottom of it, because yeah, if whatever you can do to avoid more significant treatment and adjust it early, even if you are in your twenties, get it explored. So for me, that's the take home message. So I thought it's good just to be on top of it and are reminder to our listeners. If you are over fifty and have not had a bower screen, you must do that immediately. And if there's any positive family history between breast, bow and brain cancer, which are all associated, that would be assigned to also order a kolonoscopy even if you're younger. All rightly and well, the new diet study came across, and we do try and balance our content to not be too diet focused, but I did quite like this because it was a very well controlled study published in a very reputable journal, and it mimicked an approach I take with my own clients, so I quite like to see and describe it. So it was just recently published in April in the nalsitve Internal Medicine, which is a very well known, big respective journal, and it is a randomized controlled trial. So it was a very well controlled study of one hundred and sixty five overweight abese adults. And what they did was to compare two different dietary approaches and they called it the four to three intermittent fasting regime. So of course we previously were aware of the five to two, which was too extremely low calorie days and five regular eating days, but this one played more on actually separating out four to three days, just saying if you did three days that were quite significantly calorie reduced, so it was just eighty percent of calorie intakes. So that's a pretty low calorie day, so that is like I should say, eighty percent reduction in calories, so that is pretty low, Like it would be between five six hundred calories. So a day would be say a shake, a salad, a small amount of maybe a tun nice salad, and some vegetables, so three very very light meals or two light meals, a soup and a shake. And they found that when compared to four days of regular eating, not when clients were not required to map but just eat whatever they felt like, that it was seven point six percent average weight loss compared to five percent with daily caloric restriction. So the researchers argued that it's much easier to be stricter on some days of the week rather than have to be strict most days of the week. And the reason it wasn't dramatic results in the sense Leanna and I would hope to get much more than five seven percent weight loss over a twelve month period, because it was a twelve month study. But one of the strategies I do use with my clients is the conceptly and of lighter versus heavier days, So not as dramatic as an eighty percent reduction, and that proactive calorie restriction, because I don't think that's sustainable or viable for people who need a lot more calories than that. But I did like it because I thought it simplified things. Because what I find with the complexity of life, for people who are very very busy or feeling like they have to constantly be mindful of every single meal, they do get decision and fatigue around it. At times. You know, it can get tiring, and that is why traditional models don't always work, because they're not sustainable. Whereas the reason I like light versus heavier days without specific calorie prescriptions is that I think it lends itself well to life. Inevitably, we have the weekends which are celebrations, more alcohol, restaurant meals, and it's really really difficult to be constantly keeping those controllers we've just experienced over Easter versus having Monday to Thursday, Monday to Wednesday, Sunday to Wednesday lighter where I'll say, I want you to have light meals at night which are mostly vegetables and lean protein. I want you to have no alcohol and very clear rules that make it easy to keep on track, versus saying and then you can have some other meals which are heavier. You don't need to worry whether one day's five, you know, two and a half thousand calories or two thousand, But you just roughly know that those are going to be much higher than the other days. And I find in life that makes it a lot easier. So I kind of just like the concept, but I think the actual reality is very few people can eat, you know, eighty percent less of their calories they require three days a week. I don't think that's a viable approach, but I do think in your mind, creating lighter versus heavier days makes diet decisions easier in a life where we are constantly exposed and offered food which inevitably is much higher in calories than we need most of the time.
Speaker 2: No, one hundred percent. I couldn't agree more. And I think it's a very balanced way to look at nutrition, because that's real life. Like even you and ized dietitians certainly go out for a beautiful meal, We enjoy a glass of wine or two. We like to have some fabulous desert if we're at a special restaurant or it's a special occasion, And so we can't always have our diet controlled to the key, you know, calories, and I think all of the time. And I think that's why so many people experience quite a lot of like diet burnout, where you see people go hard, like one hundred percent, foot on the gas one hundred percent, and they're falling off the diet wagon three or four weeks later. And that's the reason most people can't lose weight is because it's just too difficult to fit into real life. You basically have to say absolutely no to every social occasion, cook every meal from scratch if you want to have your calories controlled seven days of the week, twenty four to seven. So I do like it. I think it's a very easy concept for people to follow, and it's certainly something that I with my clients, maybe not that exactly, but talking about having lighter days during the week so we can enjoy ourselves more what I call have a few more soul foods on the weekend or really the days that you're not exercising you're busy with work, lightening up those days and having a bit more nutrition on the exercise days, in the socializing days or for the weekend as well, when you just want to be that little bit more relaxed. So it's a great concept and it's also something that we've covered in our book, which we haven't mentioned for a while, Susie, So I'll give our book a little plug because for any of our listeners that are new to the podcast, Susie and I wrote a fabulous book last year called Reset Nourish Burn. It's available in an audiobook form, it's available in an ebook form, and it's available at all good bookstores as well. So it's a really sustainable balance way of resetting your diet, helping you to burn unwanted body fat, and really learning the key principles from a nutrition perspective to nourish your body long term. And there's a ton of delicious recipes and meal plans in the back of the book as well. So if you haven't heard about it, Reset Nourish Burn maybe what you need to reset your diet and lifestyle after Easter and bring together some of these key concepts and strategies that we really talk about on the podcast.
Speaker 1: True because it often reminds me of something that happens if I've got clients who have calorie tracked in their life, and I certainly don't encourage people to calori account because we've discussed this before. It's really grossly inaccurate. You know, when you look at calories on a pack or in my Fitness Power, there's a twenty percent error rate at least, just because of the way food is made and differences in portions and differences in cuts of fresh produce and all those variables. But I have clients who will be, okay, I'm on just themselves after years of programming. I'll give them a rough guide and they'll be like, okay, I want to eat fourteen hundred calories, And I said, yeah, but that's a guide. Some days you may only need a thousand calories and some days you might need two thousand because it's your period and you've done a big run. So calorie intake isn't constant. It will have that natural flux because some days inevitably will be heavier and some days lighter. So keep that in mind too, And that lends itself to that idea that it's not about a stable calorie intel. It will differ and that's okay, And that follows the natural cycle of physiology, hormones and just different regimes or exposures to food throughout the week, So that lends itself to that where it shouldn't be aiming to always eat a similar number of calories. It should be slightly different depending on all different variables. So yeah, all right, Leanne, Well, there are new oats in the supermarket. It is certainly oat season. There's like seven million varieties of oats. If they're not like every time I look, it's so many different ones. Now, I myself very transparent. I don't eat oats. They're not for me. I cook with them often though, if I'm making the kids muffins, if I'm making banana bread, cookies, and I'll often blitz them and use them as a flour like they're a very nutrient rich whole grain. But myself, my family, we don't eat oats or cook quick oats or any of those. If I'm completely honest. The best oats a plain oats, the two dollars one dollar bag at Coals and Woolies. You don't need to get a branded version. They're cheap. They're superfood, absolutely, But that's not the kind of oats my clients like. My clients like oats which have big slogans on them. Like these brand new ones that have Milo all over them, which are a very attractive box and in a similar way that all the music bars are now chocolate bars, Tiqedo golden rough so too. Obviously, it's proving very successful for food companies to add these flavors to products to boost their appeal. I guess now, Milo is a controversial ingredient because it is high in sugar. Milo is extremely high in sugar. The Milo cereals are generally high sugar. The Milo bars, the plain ones actually not too bad, but in general they're often regarded as a product that's heind sugar. But I am quite a fan of Milo for one reason. Now, most of us grew up for many of us listening group when we used to have it, whether spoonful or on Milo, when we were young, they didn't have the range of treats they have now. But nutritionally, one of the reasons I do sometimes go for it, particularly if I've got chill d nor fussy eaters, is it's actually quite rich in calcium and it's also got added vitamin D. So if I'm dealing with children who have a poor nutrient intake, I'm quite happy for them to have a glass of Milo with milk because it's giving them a massive dose of calcium along with a server of vitamin D, which is in actually very few foods. So it's very much a fortified food that can be used strategically as part of type. But it doesn't translate that Milo oats are there necessarily a good choice. So let's have a look at what they're selling for. So they're currently a packet of eight serves for six dollars thirty so they're in a sachet form, and we will say that generally sache oats are more processed. So when you have a whole oats, it's got a low GI. You combine it with protein yogurt or make yourself a bowl with protein powder. It's got a low GI, high protein, very nutrient rich. As soon as they start to process the oat down to cook, it increases the glaciic index, so it's not as rich nutritionally, it's not as good a choice. So looking at the ingredients, the base is sixty nine percent whole grain oats, which sounds high but really not really when you think a bowl of oats is one hundred percent whole grain. The next ingredient is sugar, and so that straightaway is a bit of a watering sign because we don't really want cereal blends in the wanting to have added sugar. Then it's got eight percent of Milo pieces in it now. Unfortunately, even though Milo does have these vitamins and minerals in it at eight percent of the overall ingredient in not getting those in any great concentration unfortunately. So it does list all the ingredients of Milo, but you're not going to get much in eight percent of the total volume. Then it's followed by thinking where the Milo ins dried malt powder, bari mold extract flavor, glucose and other source of sugar, anti caking, skim milk powder, cocoa. So it's a pretty convoluted ingredient list for a product that should be quite simple. So nutritionally perserve it's got about one hundred and fifteen calories or five hundred and sixty kilodes. It's got twenty two point four grams of total carbohydrates, so similar amount to two slices of whole grain bread five point six grams of sugar, so just over a teaspoon of sugar person which is added sugars four point one grams of protein, two point seven grams of dietary fiber, which is pretty low for a cereal. We're sort of wanting at least five in this day and age, and no added salt. So I wouldn't buy it leanne. I just think if you want oats, have oats, I'd go for a no sugar sachet. You know, Carmens have got a wide range of no sugar sachets for oats. If it meant your child would then eat oats for breakfast, maybe maybe it's got less sugar than say, Coca Pops New Sure Grain. Oh, you know, i'd give it a five six out of ten. It wouldn't be on my meal plans. I wouldn't buy it for my own children. Mind you, my kids have been eating Coca Pops in the holidays, so I shouldn't really talk. But you know, I don't know, what do you think. I think it's a middle ground. I don't think it's good for my adults. I wouldn't recommend it. I think there's much better quick cook oats with no added sugar that are hiring. If it meant your child was going to have a decent breakfast, maybe, But that's probably the only time.
Speaker 2: What do you think I would rather, like if your kid wants milo for breakfast, I'd rather give them a teaspin a milot in a glass of milk, and like you said, some lower sugar oats with a little bit of cheer seeds or some berries on them, like I do overnight oats a lot for my kids. Or I just make them a bowl of porridge and put some berries and a bit of cheer seeds in them and make that up with some four cream milk. And I think there's this massive misconception that oats take a long time to cook. Like, honestly, if I'm gonna make oats in the microwave, yeah, quick cook oats are ninety seconds, like if you use the quick instant oats. But to make a bowl of rolled oats, it's only an extra thirty to sixty seconds. Like come on, Like, don't tell me you don't have an extra thirty seconds, Like you're kidding yourself. So nutritionally, absolutely, rolled oats will steal. Cut oats are far better than the instant of the quick oats. Can you do far worse at breakfast time? Absolutely? But I just don't buy them like if I was traveling, or if I, you know, we were staying in an airbnb. Sure, but on a regular basis, I've got a huge glass jar of rolled oats in my pantry and we go through them a lot. I cook with them like you do. My kids eat oats, more overnight oats in summer, more of the hot porridge type oats in winter. And I'll just make a big batch of them, or we'll have them over a few days, or I'll just warm them up like they're such a nurishing option. And if your kid really wants Milo, sprinkle a teaspoon on top of that, and add a little bit of healthy fats in there as well, so that again that carbohydrate portion is getting digested a little bit slower. I love cheer seeds, I love hemp seeds, I love limb seeds. Even a teaspoon of peanut butter with a sprinkle of Milo powder, it's going to be far better nutritionally than these sashos. So I wouldn't buy them. I wouldn't really even recommend them for fussy kids. I'd probably say more so try and make your own oats and sprinkle a little bit of Milo on yourself. You save yourself a lot of money because a bat you can get a kilo of rolled oats for like two bucks. Maybe this is six dollars thirty, so it's not insignificant and you're getting eight servings out of that. You buy a killer of rolled oats, you'll probably get twenty to thirty servings out of that. So it's not something I would recommend, it's something something i'd buy. It's not terrible. It is relatively low in sugar for what it is. Let's be honest, Like five grams of sugar is pretty good, but like you said, the fiber content I would like to be a lot higher for adults, and for an adult, like one hundred and something calories, it's not even going to touch the signs like it's nowhere near a balanced breakfast. So I'd rather use some atural milo and sprinkle that on a little bit of ovin Adot's with a bit of Greek yo get to pimp it up, make it on a bit of milk and add a bit of healthy fats to it and a bit of fruit as well while you're at it. I think that's a far more nourishing breakfast, and you can still get the taste of Milo in if that's what you really want, you know, slice banana, sprinkle of Milo, make it on some milk. I think far better, Far better for the budget, far better for your gut health and really teaches our kids again to eat real food as much as possible.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I would prefer them to have the glass of milk with the Milo in it, because then they're getting a huge amount of calcium, they're actually getting a lot more protein, they're getting the carbohydrate, and then they're getting the fortified benefits of Milo, which includes the vitamin D in the right amount. So I wouldn't have an issue with that. If I had a fussier eater and they wanted to have a Milo for breakfast, I'd be like, go for it, quick and easy. If you go calcium, protein, carbohydrate, kick the box. So that would be how I would use the Milo to a grade one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like you, like, I've got Myla on my pantry and my kids have it. Maybe it's a bit of a treat once or twice a week. So it's not something we're saying always dietitians, your kids can't have Milo, But there are certainly better options on the market. Then there's even these Milo bars, Like I don't buy the Milo bars. I don't buy the Milo Porrige sashe as. I'll buy pure Milo. Sure, But you know, you get to take the winds where you can, and as much whole food going in through the diet as we can is going to be better for our kids. So take that extra thirty sixty seconds, use the rolldoats, use the quicker, the steel cut boats, and they're going to be far better nutritionally and keep little tummies fuller for that little bit longer, which is really what we want. Because small children in particular, who this product is probably marketed at, are constantly hungry. So if we can get a little bit more fiber and we can get a little bit of a lower GI carbohydrate into them, it's just going to fill their tummies up for that a little bit longer. True, true, true, All right, listener, question, how can I get more fiber in my diet? What is the best fiber powder that you can buy? Well, you're talking my language, listener, because this is something that I love and I use a fiber powder regularly daily myself. I have for many many. I would say, even over a decade that I have. I've had a lot of irritable bowel in my early twenties. Like we discussed earlier, I've had klonoscopies, I've had endoscopies, I've had all the blood tests. Mine is generally just a sensitive stomach. I'm a sort of a very fast paced, anxious, sort of semi stress person, So I do a lot and I do tend to be more reactive to those, you know, stress responses, and so that can really sort of upset my erritable bowel. It's gotten a lot better over the years. I rarely have issues with it, but mine is genuinely true IBS. So I do work with a lot of clients who do have irritable bowels sensitive tummies. We of course tick off all the boxes in terms of appropriate screening, making sure it's nothing nasty, and then from there, if we do come to the conclusion that it is an irritable bower or a sensitive tummy, after all the medical checks have been done, we would then look at you utilizing something like a fiber powder on a regular blimess, particularly when they're traveling, because when you are traveling, when you're eating food that you're not making yourself. The fiber intake tends to be a lot lower, so I do get the majority of my clients to travel with a fiber powder. So my favorite one, hands down, and that has the bulk of the research behind it from both a constipation and a diarrhea perspective, is cilium husk. So Celium husk is available at any basically large supermarket in the health food section. You can get it online, you can get it at the chemists. Celium husk is the active ingredient in the brand Meta Muscle, So you can buy a pure cilium hustp by itself, or you can buy a Meta muscle as well. I don't love Meta muscle. It comes with a lot of the artificial sweetness in the flavored ones, and it's a lot more ground down. Celium hust by itself is a lot more coarse. I do feel like if you can tolerate it, you're not too bad with different textures. It's going to give you the real deal the cilium husk. If you aren't great with textures or drinking things, maybe try a Meta musle. It's a little bit more gentle. So Celium husk is a soluble fiber, but it's also a prebotic type of fiber, so it forms a gel in your gut. It helps to draw water into the bow, softening them, and also helps to provide bulk to your stools. It helps with cholesterol and blood sugar level support, and it's really really great for those like sluggish bowels or those people who feel like they experience a little bit of incomplete evacuation. So Cilium Huss his hands down my favorite, and in the most recent months I've found a really great brand of it at Woolwors under their Macro Organic brand. It's a Cilium Hust with added probotics in it as well. I just looked it up before and at retails, a two hundred gram pouch is eight dollars fifty, so it is something that you would consider a supplement, but I think for a lot of pozzies they probably could benefit with a fiber supplement. So Cilium Hust hands down zero sponsorship, is absolutely my favorite. My next favorite is a casier fiber, so it's a very gentle, soluble prebiotic type fiber. I love it so much that we have added it into our pre and probotic nourished protein powder from our design by Dietian Range. It's very very gentle on the gut. It doesn't become thick or gritty in water like selium huster. Side note, if you are someone with texture issues, you don't like your drinks thickening, you don't like the gritty texture, don't do sillium hust You're not gonna love it. Try a casey of fiber instead. You can literally buy it online just in a big bag and you add it to your drinks or your food. As I said, it's very gentle on the gut. It's low fodnaps, so it's very appropriate for people with IBS, and because it is a prebiotic type fiber, it helps to feed the beneficial gut bacteria as well. So that's my second favorite, is a casey of fiber. If you're a texture person, just start with that. Don't do selium husty you'll hate it. My next favorite one that I love is PHGG partially hydrogelized guagum so it's basically gua gum. So again it's a very gentle fiber. It helps to feed the good probotic bugs in your gut. It's very good for ibs, it's very good for sensitive tummies. It is sold under the brands I think Sunfiber is one of them. Regular Girls another one again if you jump online. You can buy the hydrolysed guagum from many different breas online like Amazon or I Herb, so I quite like that one as well. The last two aren't as good for sensitive tummies. Inulin and chickery root. They are probotic fibers as well, so they promote the feeding of the good back to you in your gut, but they're not great for sensitive tummies. I myself get a lot of loading in gas from inealin chickery root, as do many many people with IBS and a sensitive tummy, So if you do have a sensitive tummy, I would stay away from that. Funnily enough, the inulin and the chickery root, although they're completely fine to use from a fiber perspective, it's the two that the food companies seem to use most when they're adding additional fiber into products like bars and cereals. I find that it's inualin chickery roots that are used routinely the most, and I don't love that because so many people will eat them usually buy or hub fiber and say to me, I've just got really bloated or gas here. I've got a bit of an upset tummy after that, and it genuinely is because they've got a bit of a sensitive tummy, and it's due to the amounts of chickery root or inulin in there. So I don't mind it, but I personally don't love it, and I personally don't use it a lot. And then the last fiber that is big on the market is more resistance starch. It's really really wonderful. There's a range of health benefits from it. It's a bit harder to find if you were looking for it. In terms of food, it's in unripe green bananas, and also if you cook and cool your starches such as rice and pasta, you're going to build up the resistance starch in there. So I love it. It's great from a health perspective. There's many, many benefits. But you can also buy resistance starch in powder form in the supermarket as well. It's really good for gut health. There's some evidence that it's good for metabolic support, but it's probably more used in foods rather than drink. So if you're looking for a powder to add to your drink, add to your smoothie, my number one is sillium husk. But again it does add a bit of sort of texture and a bit grittiness and thickness to your drinks. Secondary, I love a casey of fiber. If you're looking for something that really doesn't change the texture or consistency of your drinks, that would be my pick is either a casi of fiber or the partially hydrolyzed gua gum. Does that answer the question? Is it a good summary?
Speaker 1: Wow? Well, Fiona Fie, our very loyal listener and big fan of design by dieticians, that was an answer for you, and she has excelled herself.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you Tech your Curtsey.
Speaker 1: Very impressive answer. So I love it. Thank you all right. Well, that brings us to the end of the nutrition Couch for another week. Please to keep telling your friends about us, check out our book Reset Nourish BYRN and if you're interested in some scientifically formulated supplements to help you bet your best, check out our design bidietitians dot Com website for that. Or if you're came for a little retreat come October November this year in Kingscliff to meet us, spend some time with us and get your life and health in order. Check out the nutritioncouch dot com and we will see you next Wednesday for our regular episode drop have a great week.
Speaker 2: Thank you for your support.