Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: It is Flex and Frooms on Cata. Discovered something so strange about myself. I don't think I sit on the toilet seat properly, dear. I sit halfway off it when my back should be touching the back of it. Right. Anyway, I've been trialing that and it's been far more enjoyable. So check the way you sit in your toilet scene.
Speaker 1: You're still sitting on your corn stool.
Speaker 2: Now I use that for my feet. Yeah, I still use this, of course.
Speaker 1: Here's a podcast. This is Flex and Frooms on Catera.
Speaker 2: According to people of the Internet, Australian Fashion Week isn't giving. More specifically after pay Australian Fashion Week. I don't be confused with Mercedes Benz Australian Fashion Week.
Speaker 1: Listen to this.
Speaker 2: It's from a TikToker called Styling Emily Beanie.
Speaker 3: I love Australian style, but is anyone else looking at the Australian Fashion Week stuff and thinking what's going on?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like USh and week in any way. It looks like a load of girls and Princess Polly would.
Speaker 2: You like to share your thoughts before we before I get into my diatribe.
Speaker 1: Yes, please.
Speaker 3: I didn't go to fashion Week this week, which I really regret because I got excited looking at all the fits, and then I went to my room and tried on this really good outfit that I could have worn. A beautiful, flouncy y two K dress with a Burberry trench coat vintage naturally, and some thigh high boots.
Speaker 2: Is it a new purchase.
Speaker 3: No, it's actually the Burbery coat I wore five years ago to fashion Week, so I thought it's a nice recycle moment.
Speaker 1: Great for the produce use.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But I will say there were some real givers, just to say some names.
Speaker 1: Yasmin Sue Teaser. Yeah, every day she creates.
Speaker 2: Multiple fashion outfit changes per day.
Speaker 1: Flex mummy, of course. But I'll let you continue.
Speaker 2: So I'm in two minds about fashion Week. I have been to and worked out a few fashion weeks, doing vox pops and things like that, and I've said quite early on it's not my interest, mainly because I can't wear a lot of the clothes that have been on the runway recently. Though, so given that it's been brought up by after Pay. It's switched over to quite a consumer angle. So a lot of the outfits that you see on the runway you can shop straight away. They're aligning themselves with Australian fashion retailers and not just you know, designers. Consumer angle number one. On the opposite end of the spectrum, when has Australia ever been aligned with the rest of the world on plenty of things. I think that Australians have a natural disrespect for Australian made things, whether it's movies, music, and you'd be like, no, not me, I love Okay, I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about people who won't watch a TV show because it's made in Australia, but will watch it because it's made in America. Who won't listen to an artist because they're from Australia, but who will listen to them once they move to America. I will say with this feedback about it looks like a bunch of fast fashion people and whatever, whatever, whatever, what you're seeing from Australian Fashion Week is algorithmic bab And granted, when I went I went to get my piggy outside of Carriageworks and I went right home.
Speaker 1: Couldn't even go to a show.
Speaker 2: I didn't go, Oh hard, didn't go. Who dressed you by bambat Melbourne based Australian fashion label, Yeah, yeah inclusive.
Speaker 1: You looks fantastic.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. What I will say is it's algorithmic, so what you saw is a reflection of what you consume. I have never seen a fashion week with more sustainable and sustainably dressed people more like wowser outfits. I personally didn't see a lot of fast fashion, but maybe that's not what I'm following. Also, I think that everything is a contradictory pendulum swing. How did there been a bunch of people showing out and their cookiest, wackiest outfits. You would have been like, this isn't what fashion is about. Why can't people just go to these events and just wear what they usually wear? La la la la. You're putting on outfits you wouldn't even wear to go to this place. It's not genuine. So sometimes you need to take TikTok commentary with a grain of salt. I will say, none of this feedback is really helpful, and it's okay to hate on STFF. I hate on stuff all the time. So let's leave room for being a hater, but also let's also leave room for all the new and upcoming designers who showed really broke some standards, won some award and you're lumping them in with this like rhetoric of like it was just fast fashion girl, he's doing fast fashion things. It's not helpful.
Speaker 1: Eric Yvonne is that how I pronounce his name?
Speaker 2: Things?
Speaker 3: So wow, all I can say is got to E R I K and then y v O N. I watched the whole like runway cut that he put on Instagram, and the whole time I was swinging saying I love all of these outfits, and the drama of the show.
Speaker 1: Was next level. So it is exciting.
Speaker 3: I think fru meno boo, mummy, lex Mom.
Speaker 4: You're listening to flex and frooms on Kita did I Flexie.
Speaker 3: I'm asking the big question, do you really like your partner or do you just want what they've got? The question was originally posed on Vice.
Speaker 1: It got me.
Speaker 3: Thinking, I mean, first and foremost, I didn't find it our produce, Kayla founder, and that's why we have your testimony, That's why we have such a burgeoning relationship. Michayla's only been with us for about a month and we're just having such.
Speaker 1: A fun time.
Speaker 2: We're locked in.
Speaker 3: And in the article it named a few reasons why you might want to be with a partner. Let me read them out. Personal gain, I mean, which are surface level.
Speaker 2: We're both giving things. I want to get something out of it.
Speaker 1: Gifts. Number two is loneliness.
Speaker 3: Are you just using your partner because you're lonely? I mean, that's what are we doing on earth?
Speaker 1: And number three psychical? Is this cycle physical? Kayla?
Speaker 2: Okay, no, we're not going to buy Michaela's typos when she's fishy. This information kind of the goodness of her heart physic.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, psychical?
Speaker 3: Did you just swear, Mikayla. You go, you're going to air and physical connections. So that's intimacy. Do with that what you will. I believe that every relationship is something that you get out of It's like that classic I don't know if in high school you like discuss this, but the idea that nothing is altruistic? Did you go through that like little subject where it's like, what is altruism?
Speaker 1: Is anything really altrub to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm getting flashbacks because when I say all relationships are transactional, now you want to look at me funny, noy, you want look at me funny. I think if we respect the transaction, we would appreciate when we're being given things, when we're taking things, because that's what happens in most relationships. You don't appreciate what someone's given you because you think you're entitled to it by virtue of this connection. If every time your partner or your best friend sent you a meme or a calendar invite to go to coffee, or they took the time out to tell you a story that really interested them, if you really respected what was happening there, you'd be like, damn, I'm so lucky. You could tell anyone this, but you've chosen me. Do you like your partner or do you just want what they've got? I would argue that both are necessary. Yeah, for a relationship. I find that I'm often drawn to people, or I have been, who are either just like me or are lacking so like a lot of my friends, introverted, really empathetic people, acts of service, kings and queens, we don't have overlapping skills and it's like, oh, it's great because now we co create this relationship that actually takes effort because we're not bringing the same thing into it as opposed to some relationships where are like, oh, you're just my doppelganger. I'm here because I'm obsessed with myself.
Speaker 1: Siblings or dating. That's the original question.
Speaker 3: I think that I have dated people in the past who I feel are more sophisticated than me.
Speaker 1: Okay, call it out. So call it out.
Speaker 3: What I got from their me sophistication, access to events that I wouldn't have been able to go to at our young age, Come on.
Speaker 1: Guest list, so and let it be know.
Speaker 2: Let it be know that if you're a woman dating men, statistically coupling up is not going to be beneficial for you as women of the relationship. So it's only fair that you get what you actually need, whether it's proximity to attraction, proximity to social status, proximity is more money, resources, whatever, make your relationships actually work for you. It's not charity work, no, Okay, what they say, marriage is the biggest business, something.
Speaker 1: Something nobody wants to have worked with them.
Speaker 4: Precisely, you're listening to flex and rooms on Kata.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, taylors With fans are having mental health issues over the possibility of her dating Maddie Healy. Taylor Swift and Matti Heely have been romantically linked in some capacity for ten years. There's been conspiracies and rumors bubbling, but nothing so concrete. Because she's been dating other people and he's been dating other people. There wasn't really much to go for much to say, but there's similarities in lyrics. If they're speaking to each other through music. They've popped up at each other's gigs, things like that, But you could just say they're just friends. It is what it is now. The reason why this partnering is so tenuous is because Taylors would has come under a lot of flak for being apolitical in some ways. When she does choose to make a stance, any stance on social issues, and the timing in which she does so has been a bit frustrating for a few of her fans because they don't really know where she stands or what she believes in, and given that she's from, like I don't know, the Midwest, whatever, people are concerned to be a trumpy is it neither he nor there. I don't know, but she has been known to be ambiguous on social issues.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Maddie Healey, on the other hand, has had his fair share of controversies in the media, especially social media. They date back to ten years ago, so he's faced accusations of Islamophobia, sexism, backlash around the Black Lives Matter movement that caused him to deactivate his socials for a bit. He speculated eye spices ethnicity. She's Dominican in Nigerian and said that he thought she was actually Chinese or Hawaiian instead of mimicking accents. It's just one thing after the other. The issue is people say that for Taylor to be dating Maddie Heally, she is taking a stance aligning herself so closely with this problematic, allegedly in quotations guy. So soon after this breakup happened like two months ago or whatever. Everyone's like, was that overlap? Did you cheat? And also, of all the time for you to be so public in a relationship, this is the guy you pick it to do it with this one here. Now you're making very clear statements and it's causing people to look back on times where they gave her the benefit of the doubt, like with her friend groups, and so I don't know if it's gonna be a good bad thing for her career, because we did notice people were turning on her when it came to the pricing of her tour recently. They were like, Mmm, she's price gouging this. Sheit is about to be a billionaire and we don't like billionaires. Does that mean we don't like her? Not sure. Will Taylor come out and say I'm dating him, I'm not dating him.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But realistically, in the court of public opinion, the damage is done.
Speaker 3: Okay, I will say if Taylor Swift did at least one thing that he did over so, I understand why someone like that is a political because no matter what she does, she's a political she is political. We saw what happens to the Dixie Chicks. They were like Midwest. They spoke up. I'm not going to get this right, but they spoke about like the Iraq War. I remember I was a kid. I remember them getting like.
Speaker 1: Torn to shred torn to shreds literally.
Speaker 3: Had to change their name to the Chicks or something, right, So I just feel like there's a double standard when it comes to people making mistakes.
Speaker 1: Women aren't allowed to make mistakes. Men are like no one.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know about Maddie Healey doing all that stuff, whereas I'm sure that I would know if.
Speaker 2: Tam Maddy he was a chick.
Speaker 1: And also.
Speaker 3: I also want to say, I also want to say if she was outspoken about the social issues that Maddie Heally isn't taking seriously, she'd be ripped even more.
Speaker 2: Maybe she doesn't care.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't care if.
Speaker 2: I was with that much money the trajectory school. She has warned you in the way Taylor didn't warn you.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've noticed this flex, but why is every single person myself included, suddenly started talking in a British accents a few years ago, I did start to indulge in a British Scottish.
Speaker 1: Mut like accent. Okay, a mut like accent.
Speaker 3: It was part Shrek confused other part Yorkshire Cockney type of vibe. As we know, I have done an ancestry DNA tests and I have the receipts to say I am indeed of that ilk.
Speaker 2: Mutt like is a crazy phrase. I'm still I'm still not processing, and.
Speaker 3: It turns out this is a real phenomenon. The Guardian's written an article which is about why Americans love fake British accents, and it says that they use it to deflect an awkward moment or to lighten the mood. Is they put on a Cockney accent, which I read here is a bad imitation of Cockley slang or Yorkshire dialect, obviously fake theatrical voices for low.
Speaker 1: Grade daily dramas.
Speaker 3: What I have noticed about you, Flex is not once have I seen a new default to the British accent.
Speaker 1: You've ever tried it?
Speaker 2: I maybe?
Speaker 1: Oh you say you want to listen to Flex and Food?
Speaker 2: Yeah, mummy, mummy, I love it.
Speaker 1: I see the appeal with the British accent.
Speaker 2: You co sign. Let's mimic people's accents for a punchline.
Speaker 1: Listen. I mean, I've done it once and I do it again.
Speaker 3: I think like I used to do this thing when I was younger, would go outs clubs, start talking to an older gentleman and we'd be talking.
Speaker 1: In British accents. This is a little game.
Speaker 3: Hello, oh yeah, I am here from Britain and they'd say, so, where what parts we're from lead, said Red, I'm from Oxford, always Oxford. Sure she's wearing like extensions and back in bridge dress.
Speaker 1: Babes, you're not from Oxford.
Speaker 3: Me serious, shugar heart chee dress actually part of my friends.
Speaker 1: So I believe that talking.
Speaker 3: In a British accent is a fantastic way to lighten the movie hair hair, mylag mack.
Speaker 1: That was the real the real one. You're listening to flex and rooms last week, everybody.
Speaker 3: I went on a bit of a diatribe, as you would say, FLIXI and ripped voice notes to pieces. I said, I'm sick of people sending me voice voice notes, and I just want to specify it. I didn't mean my friends overseas on WhatsApp giving me all that wasn't clear.
Speaker 2: That wasn't clear.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't my meant you annoying little freaks that are sending me voice You mean your fans, my fans and friends. No, my friends who are like we're going to meet at the cinema right later that day. They send me a thirty five second voice memo saying, hey, oh wait, someone's in my ars.
Speaker 1: And traffic hold on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, anyway, I'm going to be ten minutes late, just send me.
Speaker 2: So do you think that sending voice notes is kind of the social equivalent of this could have been an email, but it's a meeting.
Speaker 3: Preciustly got it all right, a listener submission as it could saying the voicemail was cool, let's listen to it.
Speaker 4: It's only appropriate that I express my thoughts through a voice note. So I really like using voice notes to communicate with my friends because we are all on different schedules, and most of me and my friends have phone anxiety, like sending a text call me to half of my friends would send them into an existential crisis. And most of the time I just want to talk about like a new snack or something, So sending a voice note they can open it on their time. And also not to be morbid, but my mom died when I was twenty five, and I would have loved to have more voice notes of her voice that are immortalized other than phone conversation. So I think it's a good thing. But I also talked about succession for four hours over voice That's what.
Speaker 2: My frien a couple weeks ago, so to eat the do you think perhaps it's voice notes should be used for gossip or sharing the night's events. For example, if I went out through me, would you rather than me say, in twenty five different text messages, oh my goodness, I saw the cutest and did and whatever, or oh my god, I got near. You know, sometimes you need you know, the voice to add into it. I will say, though the for our voice notes, some things might just need to be a phone call. But it's also rude to force someone into a phone call with you.
Speaker 3: The phone anxiety is very, very real. I think we need to also impose time limits on phone calls. Unless you're both on the same wave length, you're too scared to go to sleep. However, I will say, Jillian, I really like your point about having more voice memos from your mum. I decided a few days ago, randomly, I need to take more photos with my mum, which is a random thing, but I just thought, we need to take we need to not take selfies. We need someone to take some photos of us. Oh you know, Okay, got this photo of us when I finish graduating Union Rea at a restaurant to celebrate, and we're both smiling, and when I look at it, I just feel so happy. So more photos are more voice memos.
Speaker 2: This reminds me were you not the person? And I'm pointing at you with a pen right now. I don't mean to sound cuteatory, but we were talking about proposals and you were saying that you don't want a photographer a proposal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no way, okay, I said.
Speaker 2: Do you want? You want the moment captured? No selfies, but also no photographers.
Speaker 1: I'm gagged. Gagged you've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast.
Speaker 3: For more, tune Indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.