Speaker 1: God One a four point three Christian O'Connor show every Monday on the show, and then we ask you to tell us what happened to you over the weekend in six words.
Speaker 2: We could do something different.
Speaker 1: This is something where even if you don't get involved with this today, I really urge you do this over the next couple of weeks with your family, friends and your mates. I'm in our WhatsApp group with a couple of buddies and I put it up there yesterday and people started to go back and forth with it. And even though I know those friends very very well, I didn't realize some of the stuff I've obviously happened this year. And oh I'm seeing some of them tonight. I've got other areas to talk to them about. All it is is your year, whatever this year is for you. How would you actually tell somebody about that in six words? And the thing to do with this rather than pick six random words like if you've got a new cat this year, as an cat moved and all that, actually try and put it all together as a sentence. It becomes like a mini story in a way, which is what our lives are, aren't they full of the various chapters what goes on in her life, and especially in just a year, so as it does come to a close over the next couple of weeks, this six word year, it's a great thing to do. Patsy, what's it for you? Did you have a couple of different things that you went through?
Speaker 3: No, it was really obvious. For me, it was top of mind.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I thought about family life and all different aspects of my life through twenty twenty three. But really for me, the epitome is my acro win at the Radio Awards in October, and I think the words for me are I now appreciate my own worth And this, to be honest, it seems really narcissistic, but it's my truth, and that is you know, I've been doing radio, as we know, for decades, and you know, people tell you you're good at what you do, but I have probably the worst case of imposter syndrome a lot of performers do, where you really don't think you're that good. You're never good enough in your own mind. You're a perfectionist and you're always trying to do better and really hard on yourself. And I'm very guilty of that, and so winning that it's given me this renew good sense of worth and this I really found. I really feel like I have found myself these last few months that I feel so much more comfortable in my skin and I continue to grow. I've still got a lot to learn in what I do, but I do I have this. It's not a complacency, but just you know what, I'm okay and I'm enough. And I think there's a certain amount as a woman when you turn fifty. I felt that as well, where you don't worry about so much what other people think. But since this acro win, it's really made me professionally more comfortable with what I'm doing and I feel like I found myself and I feel that that will be such a gift for Audrey to pass on to my daughter as well, to teach her not to take no for an answer, because if I took no for the amount of people that said, oh, you'd never do that, or you know, you know my careers teacher in year ten set when I said I wanted to get into radio, he said, oh, yeah, you won't do that. Not many people do that. It's that awful, and that just makes me more determined when people say you know, that's like, well, actually no, I'll show you why not me? So, yeah, I really feel like I've found my This is.
Speaker 1: A start lovely to hear, Patsy. And do you know when I first started here, I remember you saying to me that you were actually on your way of just giving up radio.
Speaker 2: You just had enough of ignored.
Speaker 1: For other jobs, and you would have been a huge loss. It's been a great joy through doing the show for me over the last couple of years to see your rise and rise and rise actually in your fullness, Patsy. You are so gifted, You're so good. It's such a big part of this show. Whatever the show is, it's a huge parts of Patsy. And I'm really excited about what all this is going to mean next year when you launch your new podcast as well. I think that's going to be a game change and actually a gift for so many women as well.
Speaker 2: Patsy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I procrastinated for so long, and Chris was on my back. My husband's like, you've got to do a podcast. I didn't want to just do a podcast because I should do it, because I'm in radio and everyone was doing it. I didn't want to do it just because I wanted it to mean something and I wanted it to be here comes the perfectionist to me again. But I wanted it to be something I was really proud of and not just like cookie Cutter. Just get it out there. And Christian, you have also encouraged me to the nth degree to do it, and so I'm finally doing it, and I'm really really excited about it. It's going to be about menopause, and why I'm doing it is because I want to try, in my little bit, just to change the narrative around it. I want to remove or help remove the stigma because we don't talk about it enough and I want to start talking about it. So it's raw, it's honest, it's open. If you're listening and you're going through it or your partner's going through it, message me if you've got any ideas of what topics you might like to touch on, or if you want to share your experiences, please hit me up on Instagram because it's all part of a community that I'm trying to build to support all of us as we try and navigate the you roade of menopause. So I'm really.
Speaker 1: Exc My wife Sarah honestly will be your first listener. And she was saying the other day when I was saying that you started to make some episodes, that it is all her and her friends talk about because actually no one talks about it.
Speaker 3: That's it. Why don't we talk?
Speaker 2: And if it was us guys that went through it, you'd hear a lot about it.
Speaker 3: But you do go through it.
Speaker 2: If I was going through you know, my six world would just be menopause.
Speaker 4: And we're doing menopause.
Speaker 3: But you are going through it because you know, you're supporting people, are supporting partners as well. It affects everyone, millions of women around the world, millions. So let's start the conversation. Let's not make it a dirty word. Let's let's share and help and support.
Speaker 1: So I think it's much needed, Patsy, and there's no one better to do it than you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so stay tuned. I'm very excited. I've got about five episodes in the bag, so hopefully about March we'll get that launch and I'll be able to tell you more.
Speaker 1: Song you can hear what this is opened up and Patsy, from just six words, right, it does it. It really gets you thinking about what's happened this year and what did it really mean to as you leave the years, Jackie boy, what's it for you this year? Big year for you in your family?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've written priorities, change, accepting, fatherhood, deeper enjoyment.
Speaker 2: So what does that mean for you? Then?
Speaker 4: It means that this year for me being a dad has really clicked. And that's something I'm really proud of because last year I found it a real challenge when Gordy came into our life, I just wasn't ready for some aspects of it. I was so used to Bianca and I being the only priority. I was used to the freedom, the autonomy, being able to do what you want, and then all of a sudden, somebody comes along and I wasn't expecting to feel this resistance to he needs our attention, he needs to be the number one priority. And obviously, consciously I could go, I know he needs that and I need to give it to him. But it felt like something I was forcing, I was pushing against. Whereas I compare this year to last year, and now that feeling is effortless for me, it just is him being the number one priority doesn't feel like something I have to push against a force. It just is and I'm so thankful for that. And I thought it might come straight away. I thought the day he was born that would come naturally. It didn't come naturally for me straight away, but I'm so glad that it's here now. And yeah, I just now, I don't feel like I'm making a sacrifice. There's nothing I feel like I'm missing on. There's no loss. Just the joy and the love that he brings to us is all that I need. And honestly, the Wiggles tomorrow is a great example of that. If you told me, honestly two years ago that I would sit through a concert of the Wiggles just so my son could enjoy it, I would think, God, what a burden and a sacrifice. Sure, I'll do it for him, but wow, what a pain. Now, I couldn't be more excited to go to that concept. And even if I don't watch a minute on stage, and I just spent the whole time looking at him and seeing his reaction, that for me, I just yeah, I just I'm amazed at where I was to compare to this year.
Speaker 1: What had a beautiful journey You've gone. No one ever can describe what your personal experience is going to be like when you become a father or a parent, and it's a beautiful thing of limitless, deep deep love. And you're constantly surprised at the joy you can find in these tiny little moments that are They're like explosive. It's like a super nova. You go. I didn't realize just holding your hand, it could be the deepest thing of love I've ever received in my life.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. What do you want?
Speaker 1: Last year, I actually just felt nothing, but I felt so much sorry for you last year, Jack, because actually I knew that better times would come. They were because it is such a It's a gift being a parent. It's the greatest journey in my life as much as I've loved. Yesterday was twenty five years in radio, which has been an amazing journey in study is to end up you know where it is now here in Australia with you guys. But that's nothing compared to actually what it's really been about, which is that as a parent and what it studies unfolding for you Patty as well. And it was so lovely yesterday Jack and I was in that I got a lift with Jack to go and do a Holy Moly golf.
Speaker 2: And in the car, I cannot tell you how happy it was. You were just.
Speaker 1: Saying, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Wiggles in two days time, and you really meant it. And a couple of weeks ago, Gordon came in right and if me, Kaylyn Andria went for a drink after Hodly Modi essay, and we're all actually saying how lovely it was to see your love and actually keme and said I've never seen him like that.
Speaker 2: And at one.
Speaker 1: Point we were all talking to your wife and now you'd gone how often you just drift off and you go and take yourself off to do something right?
Speaker 2: You are actually I came to find you check you right.
Speaker 1: You were playing hide and seek around the corner with Gordon and it was just like, oh, I duck back out the way. I didn't want to interrupt to talk to you. It was I was like, God, if I could take a polaroid for that and showing you a year ago what you could actually do. But you're a credit to Gordon. One day you're going to tell him about the first eighteen months and why you felt like that job what do you think's changed it was?
Speaker 4: It's a slow thing. It's not like one day I wake up and I'm like, oh god, this is easy for being there.
Speaker 1: So there be people listening right now and they might feel where you are, Jack, you've got something that you've learned for this because some things have changed.
Speaker 2: What do you actually think it is?
Speaker 4: I wish I could say, you know, there's no recipe or magic bullet for it, but I guess over time, just accepting the new reality.
Speaker 2: Thing in life is actually an acceptance resistance.
Speaker 4: You know what, like realizing your part in it. Very at the start, I was like, why is this little baby miserable?
Speaker 2: Why is he doing it?
Speaker 4: He's not doing anything, He's so innocent. So finding out doing the work to find out like, well, what parts of it is me? What am I holding on to? What issues do I have to solve in my life to accept what's going on here? So that's been a long, honestly a long journey, but acceptance that I just.
Speaker 2: Want to say, well done.
Speaker 1: You want to see the work that Jack's done in in therapy, which isn't easy. Jack, and we also use sort of notes like you don't want to go and do that honestly right, you don't want to go and do some of that deep excavation sometimes into yourself.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go back in why is it still childhood? While he's talking about when I was ten? What's that got to do with.
Speaker 1: Now I'm fifty? But the work you've done for that and also fixing a sleep change your life. If you'd have done that last year, you didn't have last year. But you don't know what you know.
Speaker 4: I want to thank you guys as well. This whole team gave me so much love over the last twelve and eighteen months. And Christian you especially like show me that it's all right to be vulnerable and to talk about that those sort of things.
Speaker 1: It's actually only strengthened our relations, brought us coach and I know that laugh for listeners actually they feel they know the real youth. There was nothing wrong with you. You were in a certain night, Gordy's in a sittany born you weren't. But what a journey you've been on. As much as it was breaking you last year, what has actually done is broken you wide open to more joy and more love. Yes, the Wiggles tomorrow, I wish I was there with you, okay, because to see you and Gordy's face tomorrow will be an awesome Get me and pots both of your faces tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I'll watch Gordy's face, you watch my Okay.
Speaker 1: All right, we're talking about back with Patsy's news, so keep this coming. Then, what is this year for you? As you could see even just want the Jack's Sharon and Patsy's Those six words do so much. Like Kate Dix, who's just texted me right now, I'm blessed my husband is alive. Right, we don't know the full story, but wow, Kate, I'm glad that your husband is alive too. One an amazing thing for you to say about whatever that must have been like to go through all of that.
Speaker 2: For you this year.
Speaker 1: So thank you very much, all these sharings you're doing at the moment. When you start doing this, right, here's what happens. First of all, you just start with like what i'd call the flim flam and the froth of life. I'm ashamed to say that I actually started with John Wick four.
Speaker 4: I started with Golf.
Speaker 2: Because we like those movies. The image you're a grown up, for.
Speaker 1: God, damn, it, there's been a lot more going on that it's almost a thing where are you going to have a real conversation with yourself? And most of the times we're actually we're not very good friends to our house, whether we're crawled to our house, that internal critic that in a dialogue, what are you doing that for?
Speaker 2: You dummy?
Speaker 1: You'd never speak to another per in your life the way that actually talked itself day.
Speaker 2: And day out.
Speaker 1: It's shocking, actually what you would say to yourself in the day. You never have a partner, you'd be the loneliest person in the world if you spoke to another person the way that you think it's okay to talk to Well, so anyway, the first thing I got to because it's a bit about massive, massive year for us and for me, first thing I got was but the first three words were daughter left home because Ruby left homeless year. And then for about half an hour afterwards, I was like, I don't know what the next words are, and I thought, even that's revealing because I don't actually know what the next bit is.
Speaker 2: I'm still figuring out. You know.
Speaker 1: The reason why I'm doing a woodwork course in January is I don't know what to looking for answers there maybe under lathe or something about what I should do with the next.
Speaker 2: Bit of my life.
Speaker 1: So it started with daughter left home, and I couldn't find the next three words, which does actually say I am still trying to figure out what is coming next to me now as daughter to number two loves to be leaving the year's time. But actually what it was for me, if I could sum it all up in just six words, it'll be this is what it is to be I think a human being. It is an endless work in progress. You know the age of your actors here in your sharing Jackie boy, here, you're still just figuring out out, aren't we. I think on my deathbed, I think as I as I draw my last few bits, I think, actually I'll be thinking.
Speaker 2: I think I'm just trying to get the hang of it.
Speaker 1: I thought when I was a kid, if I reached a grand old age of fifty, I'd be a black belt of life, like some gonna zen master. Not so actually still a hot mess at fifty. So for me it would be my six words this year there would be turn fifty, still figuring life out, and that's what it should be. We're still figuring out. And if we can if we can figure forgive ourselves all the mistakes and bits of resistance where we're not quite being what we think we should be in a day to day moment of that, we're all just a life in progress. And if we see dance out for our life like that, like an unfolding. And actually, the great thing about doing the six word thing is like so much of our lives now and my Instagram feed, it's all this stuff about meaning and purpose.
Speaker 2: What am I here to do? What is my meaning?
Speaker 1: And what is my purpose? Actually, your life is constantly showing you where meaning is, where your purpose is. You just got to sit down and look back at it. It's all black four ye