Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: It's Flex and Frooms. Potty addition, we're talking about natural deodorant. You know, you know, but I was saying the first time I used this natural deodorant from one of those like bulk nut stores on King Street, what do you call it? Anyway, I bought a natural Yoda from then, a little little black tin or black glass jar, white or whatever. I put it on my arm.
Speaker 3: Wait you like, yeah, I'm I'm in it anyway, I use this natural deodorant the way that it dried out my armpits so much that it bled and scabbed over.
Speaker 2: I'm telling fair, telling you. Then I want to do some googling. They said that a lot of natural deodorants at the time, this was vintage twenty thirteen or whatever, use a lot of bi carp which is so drying. And it's like, it's two.
Speaker 4: Your episode of Girlie, What were you doing on that side of the road.
Speaker 2: On that side of the road. Serious, I'm a preservative girlie. But like my my circles, I dabble, you know what I mean, I'm the odd one out.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll be.
Speaker 2: Best friends of vegans. I'm the last man's standing me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the quirky girl pipeline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, the quirky progressive I'm going to resist for the culture me too.
Speaker 4: I think we add a little bit of spice asolutely.
Speaker 2: It's almost it's subversive.
Speaker 4: Doing what is expected of us is subversive, I think absolutely. Anyway, enough talk enjoy it to.
Speaker 1: The podcast Flex and Frooms.
Speaker 4: LEXI, I'm a performer. You are a natural born stage stress. Correct perhaps an actor in another stage stress?
Speaker 2: Do you want to do that to yourself?
Speaker 4: Eo yeah, babes, Okay, I'm happy to be a sheeo despite what I say. Most of the days, I did a live show called Besties. It was conceptualized by myself and a man called Louis Hansen, and essentially it's a sleepover format on a stage. Did we get five hour of you in Melbourne?
Speaker 1: Absolutely from the age.
Speaker 4: Perhaps the most precious newspaper. Yeah, yeah we did again. Did we then go on to do a Sydney run that was sold out.
Speaker 2: Back to back? Well, I'm not talking sitting out in the box office for six weeks sold out. I'm talking live. Theyll to purchase within hours sold out. Yes, people aren't ready for this kind of prestige.
Speaker 4: We came on the friday we did at the Comedy Store, which if you're in Sydney, I implore you to go to the Comedy Store. It's in Moore Park. The crowd was ravenous, fast, flex Mummy, Keryl, every single thing we said, laughing obs Okay, it gave us perhaps a falseness of security, because why did the next day on a Saturday at the Factory Theater. I don't want to use word flop because I can only speak on behalf of myself talk to me. But it wasn't giving.
Speaker 2: Oh and I learned a few k you itself wasn't as intimate as the Comedy Store.
Speaker 4: Okay, it wasn't a venue. It was the time slot. Our show was at five pm on a Saturday. It's verging on matinee versus night show. Okay, perhaps the worst time to be doing a live show.
Speaker 3: More.
Speaker 4: You know, nobody's drunk except for four people that sat in the front row to heckle us. Four men or like oh like. They kept saying no, no, and I was like, not Australian, No, they're Australian but even they're just getting into the gags. So I've learned three things from this experience. Number One, if you have a choice, don't perform at five pm.
Speaker 2: It's better.
Speaker 4: You wonder why these comedians are doing shows at like ten thirty. I was like, who does that? Because people are crazy and tired, and when you're tired, your brain doesn't understand what's going on. So everything's funny.
Speaker 2: But I also just think that five pm, as you said, it's a strange time. We're still in work mode for a lot of people. They've rushed from the office to get to your gig. They've changed. It's messy. Ten thirty. You get up the whole day, you know where you're meant to be, you know what time. It is, totally ready, not you yawning into the mic the middle of your own segment.
Speaker 4: This is thick okay. Number two, once you've done all the rehearsing, do some back to back nights where you haven't really slept on the Friday night and we're not to a party in Bondi, I'm okay. Party on the ocean in a Spanish mission, bunch of flats. It's a seventies poor no theme party. I'm there till three thirty Amka dancing Dancing. Dan.
Speaker 2: You say last time you got down with it.
Speaker 4: I got down with the young folks, met some friends, met some fans of the show, and then the next day I performed quite well. I would say number three, shout out. This isn't so much of a learning then, I guess sharing with the audience. Shout out to the chick came all the way from Tasmania hot to Sydney to watch our show.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, all I'll say is, if you are a natural born former like me, get yourself out in the comedy festival. It's actually so fun. It's something that I wanted to do for many years now and I reaped nothing but rewards. The five star says it all really fam in the age.
Speaker 1: Flex and Rooms, I'm Kater Flexi.
Speaker 4: As you know, I have an interesting tech not so much take it stuff, But how do I say the social ramifications of being a tech bro or tech Bodjason to me, there's a lot of talk about Silicon Valley and whatnot. You know what, Mark Zuckerberg, if you listen to this, this is one of for you and your hosts. Someone sends me a message, right, because on the podcast a few weeks ago, I said, what even are all these tech jobs? What are all your titles? What's an account manager? What's a product manager? Yeah, what's a consultant?
Speaker 2: Tech slander?
Speaker 4: What's what's the Loyd? Guys? I still haven't gotten a conclusive answer at this point.
Speaker 2: Put a hand up. Michael knows.
Speaker 4: Upon hearing this, somebody has DMed me to give me a thorough understanding of what every job is in the tech world. Are you ready, flex mummy?
Speaker 2: I'm ready.
Speaker 4: Number one consulting. You make powerpoints and also you will get late night emails from the partner of the firm asking plus fix p l Z fix No like punctuation.
Speaker 2: I kind of like that, though, because what slows me down from doing emails is email formatting. Hey, whoever, hope you're well. I was just thinking so and so and so I prefer please fix. That's the big dog in me.
Speaker 4: Account manager. You are the client's punching bag. End scene. Product manager. The customer tells me what's wrong with the product, and I tell other people how to fix the product.
Speaker 2: That's cool, bit you, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 4: She goes on. If someone tells you that they work in tech. You could just say that's really vague, like a business, and instead ask them what's your elevateor pitch loll. This chick is choosing violence. Finally, if someone says they work in tech, she reckons it. It means that they don't earn a lot of money but genuinely believe they'll be rich one day. So it's not for your like I want to be rich in two years type of person. This is a long haul game.
Speaker 2: This is feeling really pointed and brutal. Well, I didn't know, is that deep? Do you think people say they work in tech because you gen pop normies don't understand the details of what's happening behind closed doors. It's almost like when you ask your friend what they do for work and they regret it instantly because you don't really want to know. Yeah, like, do you really want to? I'm a product manager for customer services of AI products.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm explaining. Finally, and this one's a kicker listening. If someone says they work for a startup, ask them what VC funding they have received so far and what their burn rate is, And no matter what they say, say, hmmm, are you a bit worried about it going under and O. So the next person, I's sky on a dating app with works in tech, account manager at Tech. I'm come on for you, BROV. It's not looking good.
Speaker 2: Mammay, can I listen to flex and rooms flex and fromes O cat Guess what I've come back from Coachella. I did the stereotypical Sydney person wants to experience the world and went straight to La the Sydney of America. Yeah, did I do pay a premium to stand in the desert? You know what? How many steps? I was clocking?
Speaker 4: Twenty k a day?
Speaker 2: Okay, come to a sorry.
Speaker 4: Fifteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but on an average.
Speaker 4: Three I'm on the six a day. That keeps good.
Speaker 2: It's cardio, endurance training, strength training, sprinting, all of the above. Would I do it again? I don't know. That's my second time I might have gotten out my system. Let's talk highlights and low lights pros. The scale of production is unlike anything I've ever experienced before. Let's say you go to Australian festivals which will not be named. You're not expecting production. At most, you'll see a little MP four file on the background, A little gradio Microsoft word type beat, and that's the most you're getting. Maybe you'll see a backup dancer or two doing a little two step three step. That's it. Even the smallest stages at Coachella have set design props, storylines, intro tracks, intermissions, costume changes. It's just a spectacle and it's really nice to see live music in the context of a production. Now, how when you go to a lot of gigs in Australia, you're just experiencing your own playlist, But just in real life, it's just the same vibe. You close your eyes, you're in your bedroom. Not at Coachella. You are transported. And for that, I say it's worth it. Con guess how much that experience costs?
Speaker 4: Ten k? Yeah, Geper's creepers.
Speaker 2: Like when I went the first time. I remember I stayed with a bunch of friends. There was five of us in a one bedroom hotel, so three in a room and then my best friend night sleeping on a sofa bed. It's dank, it's dank, gets cramped. But because it's in the middle of the desert, there's not that many accommodation options, So ten k roughly, because you know the conversion Yes, yes, conversion rates gets you three days at a resort, shuttle to and fro vip tickets and that's it. Can I get a who rah and flights.
Speaker 4: And get your phone lost?
Speaker 2: How about it? Anyway, good luck everyone, see you next year.
Speaker 4: Fru meno through me boo, Mummy, Lex Mom.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Flex and Rooms on Kaita.
Speaker 4: It's Flex and Frooms and we are here in the decked out studio thanks to Shivas Regal and Flexing. You and I a long term collaborators. I would say I believe our love of her started in twenty eighteen when I interviewed you interviewee interviewer. Has anything changed in my style? Probably not? But we work together anyway or the same payroll. At least we first made We first made our debut as a couple together when I collabed on your conversation cards, the Frooms deck of the Reflex cards, very very popular and it was quite a good collaborative process like I find it, found it quite easy. You gave me a lot of free rein and from that we began a relationship. You also came in and worked with me on a branded piece that I did as an actor, and you really elevated that piece. And it was in that moment that we stopped together.
Speaker 2: And we thought, wait a second.
Speaker 4: You held my arms and you said, I think we should do something together.
Speaker 2: That sounded something I would say, and it was like the Heaven Zone and then not follow up on it. We followed up, yeah, eventually, but I.
Speaker 4: Thought, in that moment, yeah, it's a bit one boys. This feels good. And then we went on.
Speaker 2: How many years in the making though.
Speaker 4: But it wasn't until twenty twenty that we oh, I guess we did.
Speaker 2: It was twenty eighteen. Let's say we met, so our timeline synced up, but knew of each other before then. This might be five, six, seven years in the making if you really think about it. And I don't think that every collaborative coupling requires that much edging.
Speaker 4: I mean, if we're going to go there.
Speaker 2: But I think it's very helpful.
Speaker 4: We understand the law of each other. I think that's what's important when you're choosing someone to collaborate with. It's always helpful to know their discography, so to speak.
Speaker 2: Question for the class, Yes, it's collaboration necessary in no professional success, I.
Speaker 4: Would say my individuality complex would say no. I used to love just working alone. I did a lot in my old job, and I loved like the swallows of a success that I got off my own back. But now I see in life it's way more fun to collaborate because what even matters is the end result. It's all about the journey.
Speaker 2: One more time, It's all about the journey before that, what was the end result doesn't matter for the journey just in a friend you make along the way.
Speaker 4: It's flexing frooms thanks to Shivers Regal.
Speaker 2: A little bit different today. If if you've got eyes to accompany your viewing experience or your listening experience, you would see our beautiful set thanks to Shivers Regal switching it up, we've got budget too luxurious women. But on the topic of success, I want to chat personal brands. What are they and do you have one?
Speaker 4: I love the term personal brand because I think even ten years ago it would be like we're living in a black mirror episode, the idea that you as a person are calling yourself a brand. What I was watching a south Park episode the other day, which is my how do I say? It's the Simpsons offacation of my adult life.
Speaker 2: So I learned what was I saying, Like, I think of South Park helps me think about things in a critical way. You told me the characters were four years old every day. It may help you think about your life in a critical way.
Speaker 4: They did an episode the other day and bear with me if you don't watch South Park where the boys went to this like workshop that taught them how to have a personal brand, and they go through and like they did a slide show being like you can have this, this, this or this, and it was just such a good explanation of what it can sometimes feel like having a personal brand on social media, particularly like I didn't come into this necessarily thinking I'm going to have a personal brand, but I guess just when you work with brands, when you work with other people.
Speaker 2: So what did the episodes say?
Speaker 4: It was kind of taking the piece out of the idea of personal brands because it is very prescriptive and like it was saying like you need to have this, this, this, and this.
Speaker 2: Oh the irony of saying your personal brand can be like segmented into these ten easy steps.
Speaker 4: Right exactly. And yes, someone who didn't necessarily go into this line of work thinking that I needed a personal brand beyond like the way that I looked for example, it's it can sometimeys be a funny adjustment, like you'll get a brief come through and would be like, we want this for like a quirky x y Z and I think I'm what is this what you see me for?
Speaker 2: Like? Is that?
Speaker 4: And because you like commodify your brand? Is that how much I'm worth? Is that how much I'm worth? It's kind of like an interesting experience both as a person and as a brand.
Speaker 2: Like how would you define what a personal brand is?
Speaker 4: Personal brand is something that like if you would ask ten people in a room, from like people that don't know you at all to people that know you really well online in the online space, not your family, what would be like things that are in the ven diagram that everybody says, ooh, so some of these things you can't change. Like someone would be like, she's this age for some people that's twenty, because other people that's sixty. I'm not gonna decide for you, Like those things you can't change, whereas like whether or not you dress well, or you're quirky or you're not quirky, or you're.
Speaker 2: These things get coming up, babe, you want to process and together or no, No, it's the age, it's the dating. Now I get that. That makes a lot of sense. You know, it's so interesting because I feel like personal brands are odd, because commodifying your skills makes sense, commodifying your interest makes sense, commodifying your education makes sense, commodifying yourself a little bit dystopian. Not above it, not above it. I get amongst it every day. But I think that's where the conversation becomes really odd, because in order to define a personal brand, you would need to assign a quantifiable value to what you offer people, which means that your brand is usually the sum of the perception of you. And if you're unlucky or you haven't done enough conscious effort to present in a certain way, then your brand becomes this mishmash of things that you once expressed too much and now you're stuck with them.
Speaker 4: Shrek is a great example.
Speaker 2: Let's talk that. Bring that through.
Speaker 4: So probably during lockdown and I was strapped for things to consume, so I wat Shrek for the first time, started posting about it. And there's a lot of law when it comes to Shrek, right and I didn't realize the wellspring is that deep for things to talk about ari Shrek and people love it. It's somehow the zeitgeist is obsessed with Shrek. I don't know when it started. I don't know if I was on the precipice or the end wave of shrek Ism.
Speaker 2: It's twenty twenty lockdown, so one would say not on the precipice.
Speaker 4: Maybe not, maybe not earlier, like Shrek means of him being buff. We're around twenty sixteen, I will admit, but that wasn't even something that I thought of as a core brand. But still to this day, every day someone sending me the Shrek Wrave, someone sending me like Shrek above a church. That's someone I've been getting recently.
Speaker 2: And because you have this inadvertent Shrek brand and we do this show, people think it's a mutual thing. Scary, unfortunate, disappointing. Won't let it get between us though.
Speaker 4: Of course I'm you're a green, so terrible choice for today segment, But here we are. You know it flexing rooms thanks to Shivas Regel.
Speaker 1: You're listening to flex and Rooms on Kaita.
Speaker 2: What did we see just this coming? Whenever it was Metgaga one day. I don't know what it is about media, but I find that I'm experiencing it when everybody else is experience, which is odd for somebody who works in media. I think I should know when the Metcala is going to be on.
Speaker 4: It just comes around, Ye comes around.
Speaker 2: I heard some gossip that the Kardashians weren't going to be invited. I don't know. I don't want to put words in Anna wind Tour's mouth, but they were trying to make a prestige again. But they were there. I also heard they were going plant based for dining.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: Kiki Palmer went to the met Gala last year and she was like, there's a reason why they don't show you the food.
Speaker 4: Here, move your hairs, do your thing.
Speaker 2: What a banger, she Here's my thing about the Met Gala. So the theme was Carl Lagafeld a line of beauty. What does that even mean? Every year? It makes no sense to me because white people wearing burbery is burbery, Car Lagafeld. Don't answer. Okay, don't fact check either. It's not necessary. What would I have worn? Let's say if we were going to this most recent one, right, I'm torn between people who just gave generic red carpet glam because when you have that many eyeballs on you, do you want to be the kookiest girl on the venue or do you just want to be beautiful for a day?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Are you going to rock up in cat prosthetics like Doja Cat to make a statement.
Speaker 4: Maybe she's on her Northway Flex getting into the prosthetics everytime. Northwest is a prosthetics genius, but we'll leave her out of it. Personally, I'm going with the Kimmy K. Look, Kimmy K dominates, okay, and I think it's through years of prejudice of her not getting let in. Okay, She's come through and she's excellent.
Speaker 2: That beat it look.
Speaker 4: Remember just on Playboy two thousand and seven and I thought, oh, she's doing the Playboy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's big to reference yourself.
Speaker 4: But you know what, as some people say, you're the Maril Monroe of this generation.
Speaker 3: Literally you've been listening to the Flex and Firms Daily podcast.
Speaker 4: For more, tune Inticater on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.