Speaker 1: Good parenting is a pretty tricky idea to talk about, especially in the age of social media. Even with the mountain of books about parenting, it still feels like you're throwing into the deep end when you first become a parent, and then every moment in your children's lives makes you feel like you're starting all over again. Parenting a toddler, between a teenager and even an adult can feel like diving in the deep end every single year. If parenting feels like a full time job, imagine how doctor Justin Coulson feels. Not only is he the father of six daughters, but he's also one of Australia's most trusted parenting experts. He's the author of a slew of successful parenting books, the host of The Happy Family's podcast, and co host of Channel nine's Parental Guidance.
Speaker 2: Vice.
Speaker 1: Does Justin have about motivating people, especially little people, to do something that they just don't want to do? What goes on behind making a successful TV show for a commercial network and why is giving people less information instead of more a better strategy for communicating. My name is doctor amanthe Imber. I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium and this is how I work a show about how to help you do your best work. Something that you might have been asked in your life is have you achieved your potential? Or if you're a parent, perhaps you're focused on helping your kids reach their potential. But Justin Coulson is not a fan of the idea of potential.
Speaker 2: A while ago, I was driving past a scoo and there was this beautiful sign with a smiling child who was looking like they were just living their best life. And underneath the sign out to the front of the school, it said helping your child achieve their potential. And I remember looking at my wife and saying to her, would you like our children to achieve their potential? And Kylie said, yeah, I mean that sounds great. Isn't that why we send our kids to private school? Because at the time we were doing that. And I said, I'm just curious, honey, have you achieved your potential? And she looked at me strangely and said, no, not yet. And I said, are we getting this wrong? Why do we actually think that we can that our children can achieve their potential? Achieving your potential is one of those how long is a piece of string kind of things. You can never actually achieve your potential. Even when you do your best, you know that you could have done better. Let's say it's a cross country race, or a swimming race, or it's an exam, no matter what you do, no matter how you review the presentation you just delivered, or I mean you pick it. Whatever it is that you do for work, you might be laying bricks, no matter how well you lay those bricks, no matter how were you cut that hair, no matter how were you put the brass in for the plumbing for the water to travel. I don't care what it is. There's always going to be something that you could do just that little bit better. I don't know that we ever actually achieve our potential. And the idea that we're going to, I feel feeds into the anxiety riven, perfectionistic culture that we're creating that's so harmful for our families, so harmful for our children, and frankly so harmful for us. Just when I see helping your children live up to their potential, now I want to kind of tear the sign down and say, can they just be kids? Can we just have a family where we like, if I go to the beach this afternoon with my kids. I lived near the coast, right, So when I pick the kids up from school, if I take them down to the beach, have I failed them because they're not living up to their potential this afternoon because we're lounging around on the beach and swinging in the waves. I mean that we have this always on optimizing, maximizing, fulfilling potential mindset that has helped us to get to the moon and have jet travel and genetically modified foods and all of the things that make life better or worse, depending on what your perspective might be. And yet I think that we're actually missing out on what life really is about. I'm not convinced that life has to be constantly about fulfilling our potential.
Speaker 1: It's a good segue into talking about motivation. I think I know that we're both fans of self determination theory. That's one of my favorite theories of motivation. Tell me how you think about motivation, and particularly when you're trying to motivate your own kids to do something that they don't want to do. And I'm sort of asking for myself here I'm keen to hear what you do.
Speaker 2: Justin now you need to remind me how old your beauty.
Speaker 1: I've got an eight year old daughter, eight year old daughter who there are many things that she enjoys that like doing her times tables, would not be on that least I would.
Speaker 2: Say, yeah, yeah, well there's a handful of things here. So let's actually dive into self determination theory because it is consistently the theory that has the most abundant and practical body of evidence supporting it. And while there hasn't been a lot of work done with self determination theory and parenting in comparison to organizational behavior and so on, what is there is profound and impactful. So the first thing is that self determination theory, for those who are not familiar with this concept, is a psychological idea that was developed back in the nineteen seventies by ed DC and Rich Ryan at the University of Rochester and Upstate New York. It's about an hour away from Niagara Falls. Beautiful, beautiful place and so much around there. Anyway, ed DC and Rich Ryan identify that when it comes to motivation, there are three what they call psychological nutriments or basic psychological needs that we each have, and when those needs are met, our motivation increases, and so too does our well being. When those needs are not met, our motivation decreases, and so to does our well being. The first of those is relatedness, a sense of belonging, knowing that you matter. The idea of relatedness kind of When I think of relatedness, I think of connection. And Brene Brown defines connection in rising strong, in such succinct and sublime terms. She says, connection is feeling seen, heard, and valued. When we're in a relationship where we don't feel seen, heard or valued, we don't have any connection. Therefore, we don't really have a relationship. But when we're in a relationship where those things exist, it's powerful. It's just incredible. So from a child's perspective, let's talk about the times tables. If we, as a parent are focused on what I would what I would call correction and direction, which rhyme with connection, but they do very different things. If our focus is on correction and direction, what we end up doing is we we become coercive. We become the manipulative, cajoling parent who's saying you need to do this. Why haven't you done this already? No, not like that? Like this? How many times do I have to ask you? If this is the first, though it's a thousand, and we kind of we flip out a little bit. What that does to the relationship is devastating. If you're an eight year old girl or a two year old toddler, or a seventeen year old boy who is desperate to be seen, hurd and valued, to feel like he matters and belongs and is part of that fundamental unit of what our society has become, that nuclear family. If he doesn't feel seen, hurd or valued, if all that matters is the grade or the capacity to get through those seven times tables, because an eight year old should know their seven year old there's seven times tables by now, Then all of a sudden, the relationship shifts. It doesn't become about people, It becomes about things like times tables, or dishes or tidy rooms. And Amantha, if life let alone self determination theory. If life has taught me anything is that people matter, things don't. When I think about how I would help my eight year old daughter to do her times tables, it would be together, because it's motivating to do something with someone I had an experience the other day. Actually, let me go through the other two things and then I'll share the experience. The second basic psychological need that DC and Ryan identified is competence. Competence, Now you think about it when you start a new job and you don't you know what it's like. You go through orientation. You show up at the workplace. They sit you down and they say, okay, this is where you're going to be working. Toilets are over there, I'll, by the way, meet and I'd like you to meet Jenny, and this is Sue. And they go through the fifteen people that you're going to be working with and you meet them all and shake their hands or you fist pump them or whatever you do in these COVID dish sort of times. And then they say, and before we do any of this, here's the orientation video. There's three hours of orientation content for you. And this is the payroll slip. You log on here, you'll put your password in and then you feel in these things, but not those ones, only these ones, and la da da da. And the orientation process takes let's say a day or half a day, and you show up the next day for work and you're ready right like, do you remember how you have to go and ask somebody, how do I feel in the pay slip again? I mean, this is the most important part of working. You're going to there to get paid and you don't even know how to fill a pay slip in You feel completely incompetent. You don't know how to open the toilet door, you don't remember anybody's names. You kind of all over the place. And when our children are growing the majority of their lives, they feel incompetent. We put them into a standardized, structured I'm going to use the term that Todd Rose in his book Dark Horse uses. He talks about this standardization, the standardized covenant that we make with everyone else in society, that where our children will follow a standardized path from the time that they're entering school at age four or five right through until pick whatever time you want. But it's later on in life and they finally retire at sixty five and say, what do I do with my life because I followed the standardized covenant. As our children go through this progression through the school years, they feel incompetent most of the day. Most days as teachers, continue to pile on the work and pile on everything else. And so when we're sitting down at home, we're saying, all right, kid, oh, it's sign for a second shift. I know you've already done six hours to day, but let's do some timetables. They've already felt incompetent all day, and now they're feeling incompetent again. Our job as parents is to help them to feel competent, otherwise they're not going to be motivated. And you know what it's like, if you've ever work with anyone who's struggling, the words out of their mouth will be I can't. And with that sense of I can't incompetence in capacity, there's this diminished motivation and there's a sense of hopelessness, foreboding this is too hard, I can't do it. So that's the second basic psychological need. So when you're sitting down with your precious eight year old and you say it's time to do times tables, you do the times tables while I'll prepare dinner. Number one, there's no sense of relatedness because we're not in a relationship here together. You why I'm in one room, you're in the other room, or even if we're across the kitchen bench, we're not really engaging with one another. And there's this sense of incompetence. And the third challenge that we have, and this is the biggest to me, the psychological need that's most important of all, is this sense of autonomy. That is, am I a volitional agent or actor in my own life? Or am I just being pushed from pillar to post and doing what everyone else tells me to? Am I under control? Or am I actually getting to choose to control myself? And when it comes to kids and motivation, wow, we just constantly I don't know that there's any data on this, but I reckon if we as parents were to just make a little note on a scratchpad every time we gave our children some correction or direction, every time we told them what to do, I think that we would probably do it. I don't know, what do you reckon? Ten twenty thirty times an hour, forty times an hour, forty times a minute sometimes. So with all of that as backdrop, that's the theory in a nutshell. So in a very basic way, the other day, I'm in the garden, I'm picking up leaves, We've just moved from one and a quarter acres to eight hundred square meters. On the one and a quarter acres, I didn't worry about the leaves, but now I've got eight hundred square meters, it feels doable. And I like my lawn looking nice, and the trees is dropping some leaves and there's just one little area where all these leaves land. And I figured it's something going to take me three minutes. I can pick these leaves up. And then I thought, hang on, I've got kids. They should be helping me pick up these leaves. So I called out to my twelve year old and my eight year old Emily. Lily come here. Now, Lily's twelve. She came out and I said, hey, kiddo, I'm picking up some leaves. Will you join me? And, like any self respecting twelve year old, she rolled her eyes and went, oh, but she came over. I don't know. She knew that I had that expectation, and she's big enough to regulate herself well, and she came over and started helping to pick up the leaves. Emily came out and saw what I was asking, and she said, that's not fair. I hate picking up leaves and had a big tan from right on the spot. I couldn't believe it. So I made a decision because my relationship with her matters. People matter, things don't, and because I wondered whether she just felt like I don't think confidence was an issue, but I certainly thought that autonomy was an issue. I thought to myself, I'm not going to say anything. I'm just going to keep on picking up the leaves with Lily. Well, Emily disappeared, and I have a rule most parents, when they asked their children to do something, if they don't get response within about ten seconds, they ask again, and then they give them about five seconds they ask again. I have a rule that I try my very hardest not to ask for about five minutes. So I gave it what I thought was going to be five minutes. But about a minute later, Emily walked back out of the front of the house and walked over to me, and she started picking up leaves. She was in a bit of a bad mood about it, but she just came over and helped. And then I had this idea, I'm going to go and grab the rake. So I went and got the rake and started to rake some leaves, and Emily said, can I do that? Now? Emily doesn't know how to use a rake, and there's all sorts of bush, chip and soil that's going to get moved all over the place. And I knew that she was going to make a mess, but I handed it at the rake and let it go for it. And Lily wanted to step in and say, no, you're making a mess, You're doing it wrong. And I said, Lily, she only learns if she's got the opportunity. And if I keep on telling how incompetent she is, she's going to lose motivation. And so Emily within about three minutes, had figured out how to use the rake with any instruction at all. She's figured it out. And then she started to tidy up the mess that she'd made in the first three minutes. And within about five minutes all of the leaves were done. And how the kids they were playing and they were laughing. They love being in our space. If we unpack that story, what is really going on here is we've got a sense of belonging, a sense of relatedness. The kids were together with me. I didn't send them out into the yard to do it. We were doing it together. And that's how ancient tribes used to work with their children. They didn't say, hey, go over there and hunt the lion. They'd say, let's go on a lion hunting trip, or don't let's forage together. They didn't send the kids off one hundred yards down, the one hundred meters down or a kilometer down the road. So they went and foraged together. They don't send one person to get water. They all go to get the water. So there's that belonging. But there's also the competence in that our kids have got to do stuff for themselves and learn for themselves. The more we are teaching them, the less competent they feel, and the more anxious they are that they've got to be perfect, that they can't measure up, that things are never that I'm no good at do it. And so it's about backing off, not controlling in terms of their confidence, but also about giving them the freedom to or the autonomy to have that inner pang of I want to be close to them and I want to do what they're doing because they're all having a good time. Now, screens are a disaster there. Screens will get in the way of that. So we need to minimize screens. But other than that, that's that's the way I'm be going. So back to the not specifically, but perhaps a little bit helpfully working on Amantha and eight year old times tables, it's more like, hey, let's let's play a game. So we sit down with our eight year old and we make it a game. We have some fun with it, and we do it together. We turn into a quiz, or we buy some of those flash cards, or we pull out some Smarties or some M and M's or whatever confectionery of choice. Maybe maybe it's some hagues freckles, Amantha, I mean, take your pick. But we turn it into a one game where we're engaging with one another, where our child is choosing to be there, and where their competence is developing because they're with us and it's fun. That's how I would be trying to do everything.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I know life is not a game show, but our children are little. It's not like they're out there in the workforce. Yet some people say, oh, you know, the real world isn't like that, and my response is, well, when they're big enough for the real world, we'll let them deal with that, then they will actually mature and develop. We expect so much of our children emotionally, so much emotionally, much more than they're developmentally capable of providing, quite frankly, and we expect so little of them physically, much less than they're willing they're able to do. I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm don't going to be definitely a flying those strategies with my daughter. I want to talk about Parental Guidance, which was the TV show that the first season went to air. I want to say in the back half of last year, twenty twenty one, and the second season is airing soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I can't give you exact details. The programming people at Channel Mine won't allow me to do that, but in the second half of twenty twenty two is probably the best I can give you.
Speaker 1: Amazing. For those that didn't see Parental Guidance, can you, in a nutshell describe what that show was about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got a whole lot of different parents who acknowledged that their parenting styles are quite different. So we had helicopter parents, and we had tiger parents, and we had free range parents, and we had nature parents who were literally living in a tent. We had a single mum who was a homeschool parent. We had a couple of dads who were routine parents. We had two school teachers who were the disciplined parents. We had a Baptist minister and his wife they were the strict parents. And so all of these, I mean, let's be honest, these parenting styles are made for TV. In a lot of there's some research evidence for some of these styles, but for the most part, they just made for TV media oriented styles. But there are different ways that all of us raise our kids. And so we got each of these families to do a whole lot of different challenges and then something that you never see on any other television show ever, so reality TV. Normally people get it all recorded and then that's it. That's all they do. And then the people in post production put this TV show together and they craft these narratives and get to say whatever they want to about those people in the show. Really, what we do in Parental Guidance is we sit in a studio with all of those parents and we watch their challenges back and then we have kind of like this big roundtable discussion with what was ten sets of parents about what they saw those parents do or what those parents did and what worked and what didn't. It actually becomes a little bit of a let's sit down and tease apart how we're parenting, and let's take criticism and judgment and let's take the good with the bad and see how we can improve the way we raise our kids. So that's what parental guidance is all about. And I was the parenting expert. I am the parenting expert and co host on the.
Speaker 1: Show I'd love to know for you making a show about parenting that's on Free Too Wear TV and it's watched by lots and lots of people, Like, what were some of the biggest things that you learned in that.
Speaker 2: First series where you know, it.
Speaker 1: Was this whole new experience for you, Like outside of anything, you learned about the different kinds of parents and the parenting styles.
Speaker 2: For you personally as someone that.
Speaker 1: Like your normal day to day work is doing things like writing and keynote speaking and the Happy Families podcast, what were some of the biggest things that you learned from that experience.
Speaker 2: Amantha, this might sound really obvious, but what I saw was just how much these parents love their kids. And I know everyone knows. Everyone says, I love my kids like crazy, But we don't have these kinds of conversations in our society in any meaningful way. In any other forum, I've not seen people sit around and talk about parenting, the good and the bad, and literally talk about the way other people are raising their children in a constructive way. It was just extraordinary to see the love that they have for their kids, the complete dedication they have to raising children well. But the other thing that I learned is that you can have hard conversations with people who see the world differently to you and make them productive and constructive, make them helpful, and even make them entertaining. I was just amazed at how the show went. It was such an eye opening experience for me.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Justin soon where he unpacks what he now applies unconsciously to be such an effective communicator. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains three cool things that I've discovered that helped me work better, ranging from software and gadgets that I'm loving three to interesting research findings. You can sign up for that at Howiwork dot code. That's how I work dot co. If you were to unpack some of the things that perhaps you unconsciously do and to think about consciously what they are, because like you speak so well, you're such a great storyteller, You're so succinct and just clear with what you're saying. I've been struck by that on the you know, on the conversations that we've had. What's going on in the background to do that, or what are the rituals or practices that you've adopted to get to be so good? Like for example, I remember I had Sandra Sally on the show a couple of years ago now and something that struck me. It's like she's been reading the news for I think three decades or something like that, and she will still quite regularly watch herself back And I was really struck by that and surprised, but in a very impressed way that she has that despite the fact she's been doing it for thirty years.
Speaker 2: So I'd love to know what do you do justin the first thing is that you have to know your stuff. If you're going to stand up in front of people, you have to know your stuff. And I know there's a whole lot of people who will say, oh, imposter syndrome, I don't know my stuff. Everyone else knows more than me. I learned some years ago that we really do believe that if we know something, then it's common knowledge. We really believe that if I know it, everyone else knows it as well. Over time, I've discovered that that's not true at all. Your unique experience, your unique perspective, The way that you bring information to the fore is yours. It may be that other people have heard the same story, or they've heard a similar concept, but know your stuff. That's if you don't know what you're talking about. No matter how much you do. The whole lot of how to win friends and influence people Norman Vincent pill sort of stuff, it won't work. People will know that it's not legit. The second thing is clarity of thought. The things that you've asked me about today, I've answered in roundabout ways, not directly necessarily, but in roundabout ways for a couple of decades now. The questions that you've asked are about things that I've worked over in my mind so many ways so that I can tell a cohesive story craft useful narrative. The third thing that I would say is to remember the power of stories when you're trying to make an argument. Facts and research matter, but when you're trying to sell an argument, and at the risk of cheapening what our conversation is. Ultimately, what I'm trying to do here is sell certain ideas. That is that if we help our children feel like they matter and belong, if they feel like they're growing incompetence and capability, and if they're given some choice, I mean I'm selling self determination theory in some way, if that makes sense. The facts and figures are useful, but it's the story that pulls people in. It's the story that creates emotion. It's the story that helps people say, ah, I was in that situation just the other day, and I could have brought my daughter in this way, or I could have gone to my son with this kind of approach. So it's actually finding the stories. I remember a wonderfully wise man once told me after he heard me give a talk one time. He said, justin you're trying to give everyone a PhD in sixty minutes. You can't do that when you're on the stage. And I said, ah, but I've just got so much stuff I want to tell people. And Dave his name is Dave Staughton. And Dave looked at me and said, justin you've got to stop giving people so much stuff and give them a whole lot more fluff. And when he said that, I was so offended. I thought, hang on a second, I'm not going to give people fluff. They're paying good money for my content and I'm here to change their lives forever. But as we broke it down, what he was really saying is was there is some data and evidence that's important. That's the stuff, that's the whole PhD thing. You've got this knowledge, you want to give it to them, Pick three things that matter, focus on those, but then fill the remainder of your time with stories, with narrative, with emotion, with opportunities for people to connect the theory to the practice. In other words, the stuff and the fluff. And I think that maybe one other idea might be two, actually know two more ideas because I'm making this up on the fly. I've always found nemonics to be really useful. People remember things when you tie it to something that's easily memorable. For example, when it comes to discipline, my three ease of effective discipline that we should explore our child's world, Explain our expectations and empower our child to develop appropriate boundaries and limits and solutions with our gentle support. Explore, explain empower that's easy to remember when it comes to discipline. The secrets of happiest the happiest families. Three l's love, limits, and laughter. If you can shower your kids with love, set limits effectively using those three ease, and find opportunities to laugh, you're going to have a happy family. So those kinds of things really make a difference. The last thing probably requires another story. As a university lecturer, Amantha, I really felt strongly after a couple of years of lecturing that kids don't belong at UNI, and I actively discourage parents from sending their kids to UNI. University is a place for adults, not children. I reckon about ten percent of year twelve graduates come to university ready for what university offers. The rest of them their way to time, they're wasting money, they're just trying to figure it all out, and it's a process that they're not quite ready for. And that's because when I went back to UNI as a late twenties, father and husband. I wasn't interested in getting through UNI. I wanted UNI to go through me. There has to be something in our bones. There has to be something that we truly believe. We have to be completely committed to what we're saying to really convey and get it across to other people. It's just powerful when you know when it's in you. And when it comes to parenting, I feel like this is the whole reason I'm on the planet Earth. It's just why I'm here. And the last thing is smile. It's just powerful when we smile, Amantha, when we sound like we're happy to actually be having the conversation. My job is not to put you.
Speaker 1: To sleep, definitely not doing that. I want to dig into stories because I'm fascinated by a store worries. So when you're let's say you're crafting a new presentation, for example, and you know that you need to find stories to illustrate your points in a way that makes people want to lean in rather than just be hit with facts and figures, how are you thinking about which stories will fit best.
Speaker 2: The principle is everything, So I'll think through Let's say I'm doing something about cherishing our moments with our family, just saying this. I'm literally making it up as we speak, but I'm remembering a conversation that I had with a mum when COVID began. Like everybody, I panicked, I'm trying to run a business, and all of a sudden, I've lost I mean, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of work just disappeared from under my nose because the country got shut down, and I had staff to pay and all kinds of stress, mortgages, children expecting food on the table. And so I opened up my calendar, which I have never done before, jumped onto Facebook and said, if you'd like to have half an hour with me, jump in my calendar, here's the cost, and I will give you a parenting kickstarter. I'll give you thirty minutes of helpful parenting guidance to just get you through whatever's happening in your family right now, particularly with COVID here, and my calendar filled up very, very very quickly, one by one. I had to chat with these wonderful families, these wonderful parents who just wanted to connect better with their kids. About the fourth last interview that I did in that fortnight, where this was my day to day routine, a lady jumped onto our call and she explained to me that about a year earlier, her two little girls had said goodbye to their dad. He'd passed away unexpectedly. I can't remember the details now, unfortunately, but he'd I think he'd experienced a tragic accident on the road or something like that. And so I expected, with that introduction to our conversation that I was going to be helping her to guide them through a difficult grieving process. So in my mind, I'm starting to get together all of the bits and pieces that will be helpful in my conversation with her when she says to me, but I'm not actually talking to you about that. I need to talk to you because about a week ago I was given a terminal diagnosis of cancer. Oh gosh, and now I only have approximately eight weeks to live, and I haven't told them yet. My two little girls are going to be orphans. And I remember sitting on the phone thinking to her, and you're asking me for advice, like how do I do that? How do I help here? And we ended up having a beautiful, beautiful conversation. It was one of the most inspiring conversations of my life. And so if I was to be asked to give a talk about loving your kids or making the most of most moments, I would go to a story like that. I mean, I haven't thought of that story for a long long time, but just that question, and it's prompted that. So we've all got a back catalog of stories, and somehow something will prompt or poke or prod a story to come out of the recesses of our mind and we'll be able to bring it to the four. What matters is that it's relevant. And what I usually try to do. I've got a fairly simple formula. It's not perfect. I'm very very flexible with it. But I'll pick a topic, and I'll pick my couple of things that need to be said about that topic, and then I'll look for some one evidence to a story, and then three something else that will fill it out a little bit. So if it was about making the most of most moments, I'd probably do that, and then I would say, and let's have a think about how many moments we have. I'm just graving my calculator here as we talk here, our children by the time they're adults. They're eighteen years old, there are fifty two weeks in a year. We get nine hundred and thirty six weekends with our children from the time they're born. Oh gosh, I'm getting weepy just think about it. Goes too We have nine hundred and thirty six weekends with our children from the time that they're born until the time that they're eighteen. Now, we're going to lose a whole lot of them with birthday parties and with school camps and with what once they're in their teens and they've got jobs and we're not seeing them on the weekends. But if you've only got nine hundred and thirty six and then you count down how old your kids are already, how many weekends have you really got left? What can you do to maximize that time and make the most of it? And so I play around with those kinds of ideas, and it's really just about, I don't know, seeking inspiration in your own life and in your own experience and then bringing it into a cohesive story, something that leads people along so that they feel that emotion, so that they imagine what it would be like to walk into the house and feel it empty because the kids moved out those kinds of things. That's what I'm looking for. And then bringing in the evidence. Here's what the research shows. If we do this, this, and this with our kids, we get to make the most of that and bring them into a world that makes sense to them and where they feel they belong and they get that enriching sense of knowing that they matter. I love that.
Speaker 1: Justin for people that want to consume more of what you are doing in the world, what's the best way for people to do that?
Speaker 2: All roads from Google will lead to something related to me. So we've got Parental Guidance Season two for the end of twenty twenty two. Just free tow are Channel nine. It's available. There's also a podcast, can I mention The Happy Families podcast I would love you too. My wife actually co hosts it with Miamantha. We just talk parenting. We love talking about family. We don't really make it about us very much at all. It's very much about research and what you can do to make your family happier and stronger. We don't hold ourselves up at all models of parenting perfection. In fact, we get it wrong far more than we'd like to admit. But the Happy Families podcast is available wherever you get your podcasts. And I mean, I've written seven books about making families happier. Oh, I've got to mention this one brand new, it's just just coming out. It's called A Dad's Guide to Pregnancy for Dummies. I've just written a dummies book. Make sure you get the Australian second edition right because there's an American edition and there's also a first Australian edition that I didn't do. But the Dad's Guide to Pregnancy for Dummies, if you know a dad who's I was going to say a dad who's expecting, but that would not be appropriate for me to say. I don't think if you know somebody who's about to be a dad, whether it's for the first time or the fifth time, it doesn't really matter. This is a book about how you can support your partner through pregnancy and specifically through labor, from someone who's done it six times himself. Really excited about that. So but basically, Happy Families dot com dot you just google my name and you'll find me.
Speaker 1: Think justin I feel like I always leave my chats feeling so inspired and inspired to be a better parent as well. So thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 2: It's such a lot. I love your podcast and I can't believe that I get to be on it. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I loved what Justin said about packing less stuff into what you communicate. I know that for me the scientist and research, a part of me wants to pack every talk that I design with heaps of strategies, and every article that I write with lots of stuff.
Speaker 2: But for me, this interview was such a.
Speaker 1: Great reminder that more can actually be less. How I work is produced by Inventing with production support from dead Set Studios. The producer for this episode was Liam Riordan, and thank you to Matt Nimba, who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound so much better than.
Speaker 2: It would have otherwise. See you next time.