Speaker 1: What happens to our ability to think critically when we start outsourcing it to AI all the time? My guest today, Professor Scott Anthony, is one of the world's leading experts on innovation and disruption, and he believes that how we use AI today could shape the future of our judgment, our creativity, and even our careers. Scott is a professor at the tuch School of Business. He's also the former managing partner at Innosite, the firm co founded by the Lake Clayton Christensen, and the author of several books, including his latest one, Epic Disruptions. In this conversation, he shares how AI is transforming the way he teaches, consults and thinks, and why he draws a very firm line on where he will never let AI do the work. By the end of this episode, you'll know exactly how to leverage AI as a teammate without letting it hollow out your critical thinking skills. Why protecting your judgment is more important than ever so if you've ever wondered, am I thinking less deeply than I used to? This episode might just change the way you work. Welcome to How I Work, a show about habits rituals and strategies for optimizing your day. I'm your host, doctor Amantha Imber. I want to start by talking about change, because obviously a lot of your work in the last couple of decades has involved massive change in helping organizations navigate that, and I dare say in both our careers, AI is the biggest disruptor that we have both seen. Is that fair to say? Would you say the Internet was larger Scott or are we going with AI? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Time of course will tell on this, but I suspect time will ultimately judge AI as the biggest disruptor in our lifetime. And who knows what will come after this, but at least of what we have seen thus far, just the pervasive impact of it and really changing the way that knowledge is created and transmitted and processed. That has so much ubiquity, it's hard for that not to have cascading disruptive effects.
Speaker 1: So I want to know, then, what are the biggest changes that it's made to the way you work? As a business professor.
Speaker 2: I am in the maybe somewhat advantage position compared to some of my colleagues. I've only been teaching for three years, so there's not that much I have to unlearn as opposed to people who might be my age but have been teaching for longer than three years.
Speaker 3: But whatever.
Speaker 2: But really you're seeing a change just about everything. Change the way that you're doing research, change the way you're putting together courses, change the way that you're running your classes, change the way that you're assessing students. And we can go deeper in each of these areas, but I think that the headline is AI is to a degree changing everything that's happening in universities, which really isn't a surprise. I mean, what is a university. It's the creation and dissemination of knowledge of words.
Speaker 3: And what is AI?
Speaker 2: Generator of AI very good at it's very good at putting together words in unique ways. So those two things come together in a kind of predictable sort of way.
Speaker 1: I do want to dig into learning, and we will go there and also teaching as well. But first, one of the things that when we last spoke that was not a recorded conversation, one of the things that intrigued me most is your latest book, Epic Disruptions. Your clause with Harvard, who's your publisher, had what I thought was quite a unique AI clause. Can you tell me about what they stipulated for your book?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and in preparation for this, I got the actual language from it, which I hoped them any trouble with Harvard, But I'll explain that the why behind it, which I think will help. The exact clause is authors shall not generate or use content for the work and collaborate with or buy artificial intelligence tools SLASH applications without the prior written consent of publisher. So I called it the thou shalt not use AI clause again without coordinating with the publisher. And when you first see that, you're like, oh, that sounds kind of dragconian. But what's behind that. Well, it's still unclear if work is generated by AI what that means for copyright. And if you're a publisher and you care about copyright, that's a really big deal. So if you're reporting something to be original work but it's actually plagiarized or not original work, that could be a real problem.
Speaker 3: So, of course there are.
Speaker 2: Ways that you can and should and do use AI during the writing process, but the idea here is don't outsource it, and if you do, please tell us not Please tell us you must tell us.
Speaker 1: I found that interesting because I'm working on my fifth book at the moment with Penguin Random House, and there was no AI clause with them, which, after having that discussion with you, made me think, hmm, maybe it's in there now since I signed contracts. Maybe they're making all their authors do that. But I was intrigued. And so then in your book writing process, how did you use AI?
Speaker 2: If it all so the research and writing of the chapters and just brief overview of the book epic disruptions eleven innovations that.
Speaker 3: Shape our modern world. This is a history book.
Speaker 2: It starts with gunpowder, it goes up to the Apple iPhone, with then a conclusion looking at disruptions that are in process today. But there's a lot of research. So the actual research of the chapters and the writing of the chapters I did independently. What I used AI for was to brainstorm, so what are really the epic disruptions that should make the short list? I had some thoughts I parried with open AI, chat GPT to come up with some additional thoughts, kicked around ideas and so on, titling what's the right way to title and trying to pull out what are some of the themes that I'm seeing?
Speaker 3: Is it three? Is at five?
Speaker 2: Those kinds of things that are not in the writing, but really in some of the things that wrap around it. I found a to be incredibly helpful, not always perfect at the end, you know, you have to own it yourself, but if you're trying to expand your thinking, it's a really useful tool.
Speaker 1: I know you're obviously an early adopter of Jenai, and I imagine your approach to prompting and getting the best out of it has evolved. Tell me how you use it as a brainstorming partner.
Speaker 2: A lot of it is context engineering, you know, making sure that you put in place the right parameters so that you are getting a legitimately different perspective on things. So whether that's taking on a different role, or it's saying let's be a skeptic or let's be a supporter or whatever, trying to make sure that you a set the context where you're going to get something that is what you're looking for, which might be something that's as novel as possible or something that's more fine tune as possible, whatever it is. The second is multiple tools My favorite at the moment are Claude and chat Shept, So I'll play them off each other so i'lle be simultaneously brainstorming a topic. I'd be like, oh, the other one said this, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Think about that?
Speaker 2: And at some point they converge because all the foundational stuff will get you to the same place, but they actually will start sometimes in very different places. And of course we know if we use the systems, sometimes the exact same prompts will go in different directions, just depending on whatever is the magic that's happening underneath the hood. But those two things are really trying to say, let's push for the personas and get the context right and then using different models. Those are the two things that I found to be the most helpful.
Speaker 1: I will quite often when I'm working on quite a big project where I want to get different views, I will quite often have the same prompt in CHETJPT Claude and Gemini and then finish with ask me you know any questions so you can be ninety five percent confident and doing a great job. And it's quite interesting the different questions that I'll get back when it's a task that could go in several different directions, So I do love that as a way and kind of sparring them against each other I found really useful. One of the things that I wonder as I think a lot of people and particularly knowledge workers that you know, whose value is in their thinking use AI a lot, is I wonder, firstly, what's going to happen to our ability to think critically? And then what's going to happen to our ability to maintain good judgment? And I want to know for you with the thinking critically, how do you think about that for yourself? And do you worry am I going to lose the ability to think critically if I kind of crossed that line where I've suddenly outsourced just a little bit too much to AI?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is something that I worry about a lot. I worry even more about for my students and even more for my children. So as you've got then three generations there, You've got me nineteen seventy five, my kids who were born between two thousand and five and twenty sixteen, and then the students who generally are about thirty years old, so the average day of birth would be about whatever that is, nineteen ninety five. It really is being very clear about the lines. I'm trying to do something that does rep present original thinking. I just can't outsource that. I can't ask AI for a first draft of something I tried, you.
Speaker 3: Know, when it first came out. Of course, I'm going to play around with it.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, okay, I've got an idea for a new class, please, is not a curriculum for me? And A the output was not particularly good, and B my brain wasn't in it. I hadn't thought about it, I hadn't processed it, I hadn't struggled, et cetera. So now when I'm working on a new course, certainly I'll say, okay, this bit of it, I need to think about some additional readings, or I want to think about some of the principles I want to teach here, so I'll get help to sharpen. But ownership of the integration it has to be by me or else. That's just a skill that's going to lapse. So that, to me is the most important thing. Drawing the line and being really clear about where you draw that line. There are other tasks that are less critical where I'm very happy to outsource. More so as an example, I was facilitating a panel discussion a couple months ago, and that was pretty much churn and burn. You know, here are my panel us, make me smarter about who they are, give me a few good questions.
Speaker 1: Task.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's great raw material. I can then turn that into a finished product. But I was totally fine with first draft being done by AI. But when you really need to turn on the critical thinking and reasoning, first draft by AI, I think the research shows is really really dangerous.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because I it would have been about a year ago now. I had an executive from Google on the show and they were talking about how their default was to use AI or Gemini for the first draft of everything as a place to start. And I kind of get that because the blank page in any kind of work can be a little bit confronting. No One, particularly writers like us, like a blank page. But then how do you decide like because I imagine sometimes it is a fine line. The example that you've given is quite stark. But are there examples where m you're kind of on the fence about whether to use A to help do the thinking versus you sit and struggle with it and do the hard unpleasant deep work yourself.
Speaker 2: So you know, last term, I had sixty five students in one of my classes, and there's qualitative feedback that comes from the sixty five students, and the easy thing to do is to dump it all in chat shept and say, tell me the three themes that you see here. And I did that, except I said, I want the three themes that you see. I want the biggest outlier that you see that is negative and that's positive, and I want something random that you can throw back me. And then I went and did the same thing over at Claude. So again tried to have it go through multiple models, so I didn't fall into the easy trap of saying, Okay, this is set to warm, so it's going to tell me that the very nice things my students had to say, and I'll just be all done and moved on. So I tried to make sure that I balanced the big efficiency gains that I got from not going through every word of everything while also being provoked. And then I was so interested in the feedback I did in the end go back and read all of it. So it didn't end up saving any time at all, but it was fun to look at it from various angles, so you know, that is the thing that again back to the conversation we had about the different ways that you contact engineering, set perspectives. If you do, put some things that will force you to critically reason into your prompts so that what you're getting back is not just the answer, but is an answer with outliers and as you said, questions for consideration. Those I think are great things that can help make sure we don't lose that is that again, I think it is probably the most important thing we're going to have to struggle with over the next decade. And I worry, in a parallel to what we saw in the book, that many of the early adopters of AI are going to say, what have we done? They'll say, at first, this is great, We've got all these efficiency gains, and then X number of years in the future they will have hollowed out their ability to actually do things, and they'll say, we got something wrong when we did this short term gain but long term pain.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really are worry about people's ability to think critically. I mean, as humans, where we're programmed to go down the path of least resistance, and that is to outsource our thinking to AI, and I worry, like I feel it in myself that it takes willpower to go Okay, I need to sit here and I need to sit in discomfort, and I need to do the thinking. And I do choose to do that because integrity is valued of mine. But I think it's you know, it's also like I can see how a lot of people who are known for their thinking and their quality of their thinking, it's really easy to go down that path. And you know, like I kind of look at what LinkedIn has become, where you know thinkers that I used to follow kind of like that is not you. You have not generated that. Why am I even on LinkedIn? How do you feel now about that as a platform, Like you're very active on it, but what is your view of what's going on there and how you're approaching it yourself as someone who is you know, a great thinker?
Speaker 2: Well, ye, first of all, thanks for calling me a great thinker sub days better than others. But you know, a couple of years ago, I was participating in offsite with a bunch of senior leaders from a large organization and they said, we want some stimuli, and we want stimuli not from you, but from younger voices. So I asked my son Charlie, who was seventeen years old at the time, to come in and share a perspective about AI, and he said, look, everyone in my school is using it all the time, and the thing I really worry about is that we're going to end up like those really obese humans in the movie Wally that have completely lost their capacity to think about anything. None of the metaphor we were talking about is you know, back in the day when we were in high school, you could go to the bathroom and you could buy the answers to the test. You know, someone at the stall next to you would have the answer key or whatever. And people didn't do that because it was just so blatantly obviously cheating. But now when you go to a large language model and you ask for a first draft to something, it doesn't feel like cheating, So, you know, it just it feels different. And you talked about acting with integrity, but you could also argue that people are using the best tools available to be able to get the best answers they can. So, you know, back to what we are thinking about on campus, how do you actually go and design educational experiences that encourage people to learn that help them sit with the discomfort you talked about, teach them to be comfortable in that discomfort, and then go and assess them in a way that goes and says, Yes, use the best tools that you can, but make sure we're also developing critically as human beings.
Speaker 3: It's an incredibly hard topic.
Speaker 1: It's really good segue into your work in the business school, the Taxical of Business, one of the top business schools in America, Like, how is your approach to teaching what I'm sure are incredibly smart minds, but who do have access to AI and who theoretically can outsource their thinking? How do you design a course and then assess these students in this new world that we're in with great care?
Speaker 3: That's the short answer.
Speaker 2: That have some advantage in that the courses that I teach are generally not fined and apply a mathematical formula or use an off the shelf framework, but more around critical thinking, really, and how do you deal with uncertainty and how do you go and act when the data is telling you not to and hear the voice that doesn't speak and that stuff isn't regurgitation of frameworks that you find in books. It's going and puzzling through things together, very discussion oriented courses and so on, so along some dimensions. I think it is easier in that context to do what I do, which is tell students please use AI to go and go through the case material or to come up with first answers to questions.
Speaker 3: But we're going to be in a room.
Speaker 2: We're going to put ourselves in the shoes of a participant or a case protagonist.
Speaker 3: We're going to talk about it, and the laptops.
Speaker 2: Are going to be closed and the cell phones are going to be off. So you know, whatever you've done to prepare, that's fine, But fifty percent of your grade, then it is the discussion quality that we have in class. So it's pushing on that in class experience and discussion. That's point number one.
Speaker 3: Point number two.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking, and this is still emergent, thinking about how do you assess learning in different ways? So I started a couple terms ago giving people an option for the final assignment.
Speaker 3: The old final assignment.
Speaker 2: Was take everything we learned in class, write a paper about some company, some leader, apply learning from class. The new option is take everything we learned in class, find a leader, give me two hundred words about why you pick this leader. Then design an AI tool to help them learn something that you learned in class. And the most critical thing I learned about that is and show me your work. So the output I kind of care about. What I really care about is the exact prompts you use, the back and forth you had with the large language models, the critical thinking you displayed, blah blah blah blah blah, because I learned the first run. And sometimes you get these very very elegant outputs that had a lot of mess that went into them. I'm like, this is you didn't do much work and actually did a ton. And then sometimes you see these things where the output looked super sophisticated, but the students did basically no work and had no understanding. So if you don't see the work, you don't understand that. And then finally, I sample size the one. But I ran an experiment the last term where I did a thirty minute interview with the student at the end of the term and said, we're going to try this out, just see what it's like. But pick a situation, let's talk, so you know, just trying to figure out different ways to assess whether people really have learned, in some cases leaning into AI, in some cases going about as old school as you'll go. And this is an example of one of something that every educator is thinking about right now.
Speaker 1: Now, I do want to talk about consulting and the context you worked in the world of management consulting for I want to say about twenty years Scott nailed it. Yeah, fantastic. Yeah. And during that time you were managing partner of you know, Site, which is the firm that the late Clayton Christiansen started, and that is how we connected when you were you know, several years ago. So I want to understand, like, if you were still working in consulting, how do you think you would be using AI for client work.
Speaker 2: I want to give you a historical example first, then I'll come answer it. So, you know, fourteen forty Gudenbergen team comes up with the printing press. We know the basic story. The world changes. The thing that I just want to reflect on is who is Gudenberg's first actual customer. Well, it's the Catholic Church and it makes a lot of sense dominant organization.
Speaker 3: It's time.
Speaker 2: Not that many Bibles could be created if you have to hand inscribe them. The printing press makes it much easier for the Catholic Church to disseminate the Bible that looks good in the beginning. Martin Luther picks up the very same technology and the Reformation happens, and the Catholic Church might ultimately regret the fact that it helped the fund and innovation that yes, helped u spread the Bible, but also kind of tore the church apart. And I tell this story because I think you're going to see a very similar story for the major consulting companies and artificial intelligence. Right now, it's a great time for a lot of the consultancies. But I think you're going to see two things. I think one, clients are going to say, we actually don't need a consultancy. There's a lot more that we're now capable of doing ourselves. A number two, we have hollowed out the consultancies will say a lot of our capabilities. So we've got a generation of leaders that can go and provide eye to eye advice to top senior leaders and have great judgment and so on. But the efficiency gains that we got mean that we don't have another generation that comes after it. I think we're going to see both those things happen over the course of the next five to ten years.
Speaker 3: If I were in the field now, I.
Speaker 2: Would be doing all the things that I think smart people are doing, which is show up to client meetings, being even smarter, have teams work even faster, have multiple possibilities being considered in ways that you couldn't do before, really live up to the full possibility what you can do. I was at a small company, but now a small company can look like a big company because you have all these tools you can take advantage of. That's if I was still at that company. The thing I also would be thinking really hard about is is.
Speaker 3: This the right model?
Speaker 2: You know, in a site, like many people in consultancy got a traditional pyramid model, and people are beginning to say, well, maybe it's diamonds where you've got you know, a few people. Maybe it's something that is an inverted pyramid where actually you have more people at the top who are the good judgment people that can advise senior clients, and they don't need to have the people who are doing all the work at the bottom. I don't know the answer to that, but I certainly would be thinking really hard about the new models that are going to be emerging.
Speaker 1: If you were still working with junior consultants, how would you be teaching them to think critically?
Speaker 2: AI essentially is your new teammate, your new intern, whatever metaphor you want to use. It's got amazing superpowers. Sometimes it does some really weird things like make stuff up or dramatically underperform some things you think it's going to be good at. The way you figure these things out is by working very closely with it, never ever outsourced to it, and recognize life is better in teams and research shows life is actually sociologically better with AI, as long as you don't do too much with it and now source too much to it. But make sure that you are pushing and using it to augment versus replacing, because that will be a very short sighted and destructive path. I mentioned Bobby Hansen before. In his book Leaders Make the Future that the third edition, he said, you know, one of the most important things that a future has to do is be very precise on language, because the right language will pull you somewhere, the wrong language will push you away from And he writes in his fifty years doing this. Artificial intelligence is the worst name for a new technology he has ever seen, because artificial makes it sound like it's replaceative, and what you really want is augmented, where it is something that allows you to stretch and push and develop further, and that is the thing I would really be pushing among the young talent at the organization.
Speaker 3: Don't stop thinking. Once you stop thinking, it's kind of over.
Speaker 1: If you're finding this conversation with Scott Anthony as helpful as I am, stay with us because in the second half, Scott reveals why he has started thinking about his life in five year cycles, and also his advice for improving your ability to think critically in the age of AI. If you're looking for more tips to improve the way you work can live. I write a short weekly newsletter that contains tactics I've discovered that have helped me personally. You can sign up for that at Amantha dot com. That's Amantha dot com. How would you be approaching recruitment because I feel like I'm seeing a lot of companies really struggle with this, particularly in those early stages where you're not having those in depth interviews face to face because I mean even virtual interviews these days, you know, I hear all sorts of stories about an AI going on in the background and putting out answers to questions that people are being asked. What would you do to test the ability of someone to think? In this day and age.
Speaker 2: What I would wish for is a way to be in a physical location with someone and have a conversation with them. I think, just the ability to actually have a conversation with somebody and not ask how many taxi cabs are there in New York City or whatever, but just see the way that they approach issues. The approach I followed what I was interviewing in a sight is I said, would give people here are ten disruptions that are in process right now, or ten companies that have been called disruptive. Pick any one of them and come up with a point of view, are they actually disruptive? And if you were caught in a lift with the CEO, what would you say to them? And I did that for two reasons.
Speaker 3: One, I want to.
Speaker 2: See what they did with it, and then two, once we're in a room together that I can push them and they've had the benefit of being able to think about it for some period of time.
Speaker 3: And we'd have fun.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Sometimes people would go and produce a PowerPoint tech. I didn't ask them to do that, but sometimes people would. Sometimes I get a Microsoft word memos. Sometimes people would just talk. But it was a really good way just to get into a conversation where you could see how someone thinks. I don't know a better way to do it, you know, I mean you could say psychometric tests or whatever, perhaps, but you know, I mean, as we know, anything can be gamed these days.
Speaker 3: It's not easy.
Speaker 1: We talked about critical thinking. I want to talk about good judgment. How do you help your students develop the ability to have good judgment? I feel like, and maybe this is a flawed assumption, but the longer you do something, the more experience you develop. Generally your judgment becomes better and better because it's the collection of all the different experiences that you've had. But how do you think about the ability to have good judgment and to improve that ability?
Speaker 2: I would like to think that experience makes you better at having judgment, but I think at least some research and data would suggest you get some real blind spots.
Speaker 3: Is you're used to.
Speaker 2: Defaulting to certain things and if the situation changes. And with that, what I really try to do is I try to essentially give students heuristics and say, what you're going to do or what you're going to get are rules of thumbs, mental models, way to think through things that essentially can help you. So it's not that you as an individual have judgment. It's you've got a tool that you can use, and what you have to figure out is what is the right tool to use in a context. And this is the thing that I learned from Clay Christiansen. You know, he used to joke that his wife Christine would say the famous disruptive line diagram that's in all of his stuff, it was etched onto his glasses. Everywhere he looked, he saw disruption. I wear contact lenses, so the models are like fused under my eyes, so you know, everywhere I look, I see it. And that's sometimes maybe a tiny bit of a curse, but what it really is is a blessing. It allows you to see things that you wouldn't otherwise see. And whenever someone asks Clay what's your opinion or your viewpoint about extra y, Clay would say, I've got no viewpoints or opinions. The model has a viewpoint, and he was such a good social scientist. When that didn't happen, he'd say, oh, great, we found an anomaly, something that didn't fit.
Speaker 3: Therefore the bottle must be wrong in some way. Let's upgrade.
Speaker 2: The vision of our school is to develop wise, decisive leaders that better the world through business. A wise leader, in my view, is one who has a whole range of tools that they can use and knows when to use them and how to use them.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I guess the follow one question from that, like, when you yourself are looking at creating a new model or a framework with which to view the world, what role does AI play in helping augment your thinking or does it not play a role there?
Speaker 2: I have an idea that's been bouncing around the back of my head for a few years now, and this is what does it really take to be a leader that can successfully navigate today's world of radical uncertainty? A brand, the idea, adaptive capacity. And the idea basically is you need three things. You need metacognition, which means you think about how you think and have lots.
Speaker 3: Of models at your disposal.
Speaker 2: You need equanimity, the ability to pause so you don't get overwhelmed with all these models that you have in your head at a paradox mindset that allows you to take perceive tensions and turn them into possibilities. As I've been advancing my thinking about this, AI number one has been a research partner, so use some of the emerging research capabilities to say that idea about.
Speaker 3: There not being anything like this, is that true?
Speaker 2: What else do you see out there? What research you see blah blah blah blah blah. So a research partner. Number two an experiment designer. So I have been trying to think about ways to actually go and test this, validated, etc.
Speaker 3: So this will be the sort of thing where I will idly go and brainstorm. I was thinking about this, what do you think, etc. Etc. I have a thought about doing synthetic research.
Speaker 2: I've not done that, but I thought it would be really cool if you were to actually use AI to create a simulation to go in test hypotheses. That is beyond my current capabilities, but something that is on the list of things to continue to push. Barring from slow productivity from caw Newport, I work on a five year timeline for some of these things. So I want to crack this in the next now four years, since I set that a year ago, so I'm okay with not having synthetic research yet, but that's an area that I'm watching to see if that's something that you actually can't do with any materiality.
Speaker 1: Tell me more about this five year cycle. I'm curious. I did not know that about you.
Speaker 2: So caw Newport, who I know. You're a fan of his book Slow Productivity. I was one of the best books I read a couple of years ago, and he had this idea, you know, slow down, slow down. Don't think necessarily about what you're doing over the next week, month, or quarter, but really think about what are your aspirations over a five year time period. As they said, when you relax the timeline, you're able to just handle things moving at different paces. So when I did this a year ago, I said three things that I would like to do professionally over the next five years. One, I want to crack this adaptive capacity idea. Two, I want to do something I've never done before, which is have my name on a peer reviewed academic article, not the lead author, but I can be the tenth author. That's fine. And number three, I'd really like to win a teaching award. I just validate and demonstrate that I improved my ability to teach in class.
Speaker 3: So those are the three things I'm saying this on am I allowed to say the date clus you are July fourteen, twenty.
Speaker 2: Twenty five, so we can time capsule and check in on this four years from now.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I love that. What are some other habits or rituals or things that you're you've been playing around with around how you do work? Like? I love the five year thing, and I always feel like you're someone that's experimenting with different ways of working and augmenting your productivity.
Speaker 3: I'll call this one Can I watch? And can I watch?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: I started teaching three years ago and the school that I teach at is blessed with a number of really, really world class teachers. So I've made a regular habit whenever I'm in a teaching cycle, which tends to be about a five week cycle, I try to go and observe at least one and hopefully two other faculty, usually ones that my students recommend, you know, just who's really great at running a class. And in those can I watch moments. I don't care at all about the content. I'm not going there to learn, you know, what this teacher is teaching about this topic.
Speaker 3: I'm just absorbing the way that they're running.
Speaker 2: The room, what the students are doing, who's locked in, who's not locked in, how they're using their physicality, blah blah blah blah blah, and just trying to get a sense as to what it takes to really really command a room of sixty plus very smart NBA students who again are blessed with a lot of really great teachers. And I'm sure some of the things they're teaching are getting into my unconscious as well. But that idea of being very purposeful in getting stimuli that's different from normal stimuli, that has been something that has.
Speaker 3: Been one of the more rewarding.
Speaker 2: Routines I've had in the last few years. And I've made some new friends from doing it too, which is always nice.
Speaker 1: I love that. Tell me, what are a couple of things that you've larn from you? Can I watch sessions?
Speaker 2: Is one Joseph Garaco, who teaches in the accounting unit at talk. I said in one of his sessions, and you know, I thought, and Joseph, if you're watching this, I hope you take it in good spirit. I thought it was going to be the most boring session ever. I mean, he'd want a teaching a ward, but I'm like, it's accounting.
Speaker 3: You know. Even though my.
Speaker 2: Grandfather was an accounting teacher, he was not known for being dynamic. But the thing that Joseph really showed me is you can find real moments of inspiration by letting students really go and dwell on seemingly small things. And what he was really great at doing is opening his session with what seemed like a really simple question, but one that just expanded into an hour of really good discussion where he also could teach about how working capital works and all that. So the thing I learned from Joseph is the power of a very very well thought through opening question when you're in a good class discussion. Then I sat in the class that Paul Argenti, who tea in communication and a couple other fields, it talk a couple months ago, and I noticed he just had this theme where he was talking about corporate activism and he used pretty evocative language that I won't repeat to not get him in trouble, but I just really got the room. It's like the room like all devices went down. Everyone was on him and like, how rehearse was that? He said, I've been doing this for thirty years. It's just like not quite a scriptive performance, but you know, just really a way to pull people in. So this idea that you are, to some degree, for better or worse, when you're teaching a class, you're a performer, and you want to think about how you're going to use what great performers do is the thing I picked up from him. So great questions and think about, of course teaching, but a little bit of performance mixed in. Those are a couple of things I've picked up.
Speaker 1: I love that well, Scott. It's just like it's always just such a joy to talk. Whether it's on Mike or off Mike. I always feel like I learn so many new things and I just love your way of thinking. Thank you so much for extending your workday on the East Coast to have this chat with.
Speaker 3: Me, Namantha.
Speaker 2: It is always a pleasure, and thank you for starting your workday early in Melbourne to have this chat with me very much.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it. As always.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed this chat with Scott Anthony. For me, the biggest takeaway is this AI is an incredible partner, but it should never replace the discomfort of thinking for yourself. And if this episode gave you a new way to think about your own work, please share it with a friend or a colleague and make sure to follow How I Work so you don't miss future conversations like this. Thank you so much for listening, and here's to working smarter with our brains fully switched on. If you like today's Joe, make sure you g'd follow on your podcast app to be alerted when new episodes drop. How I Work was recorded on the traditional land of the Warrangery People, part of the Cooler Nation.