Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast.
Speaker 2: Yesterday we were saying it's miracle Monday. It wasn't a miracle. It was marvelous Monday World. Uncle Matilda's what a huge dominating win four nil.
Speaker 3: We absolutely dominated. I was so proud to be here in Australian last night.
Speaker 2: It was a great game to watch and I can't imagine how nerve racking it must have been since Thursday night when they lost, right and you've got four days of national scrutiny. Is Sam Kirk going to play? Are they going to cope with the pressure? Canada are ranked higher than you? How do you hold your nerve in that, not just not just survive last night, but actually come out playing your best You played in the whole tournament so far right here in Melbourne at Amy Park, when you know if you don't win, you're out.
Speaker 3: And you see the day before you see New Zealand who's the other host nation going out? So there's even more pressure on Australia to at least go through to the next round. But we played I thought it was a completely different team to what we saw in the first two games.
Speaker 2: There was something just joyous. My ninete year old daughter Ruby was down at fed Square and I kept getting all the sort of crowdy action she was filming about all the goals and the penalty. She said, there's also a lot of booing with those cheene knooks trying to get to free kicks out throughout the game. But she said there were thousands of people down there. She said, it's an amazing atmosphere. How amazing for the materials now and now they can go through. So you've got a whole week now until hopefully Denmartin it's Monday night in Sydney, got a week to recover. Hopefully sam Ka will be playing where they really really need her. But even without sam Ka, Yes, so that whole team and old Tony the coach getting his yellow card, were coming out with a little tactical area.
Speaker 3: Do you think as we get closer to the final he'll dress up a bit more or yeah.
Speaker 2: I've got to say, I know in Melbourne we like to keep it cold. I mean, I'm wearing a hoodie here, a black hoodie, which is the official aware of a man our age Tony in Melbourne. But he looked like he was an uber driver and had a quick pickup.
Speaker 3: He looks like he just woke up. They're like games to.
Speaker 2: Soccer. Managers are in suits, you know, look at Pep Gualdola or stuff like that. In the EPR, they're in the Armani suits.
Speaker 3: He had a hoodie and the cat pulled down over his face. Looks like he's tried not.
Speaker 1: To be now.
Speaker 2: Yes, still on the show. Our producer Caitlin was so excited about last night. She had Matilda scarf on. It must have been amazing watching that and seeing real history. And it's the great thing is it's from page news today. This is history front page news, and the news about Buddy gets a slightly smaller thing on the front page. It's history changing. This is amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was huge, Like I think growing up and I grew up playing with Raso Haile.
Speaker 2: No mention, here's the bad wagon. I could have gone all the way for my knee.
Speaker 1: But to watch them just absolutely dominate under the pressure that they had, and to see all the little girls in the crowd, and to be a girl that grew up playing sport and never really had that to see I think for Australians and the girls at watching Matila last night, Like that just meant so much more than just that win. And so that was just awesome and I'm just so proud.
Speaker 2: It's incredible. It was just so amazing to see. Yeah, I thought I loved the whole game. It was so exciting and they were so brilliant as well. They can now go into the next tournament. It's all knockout games now, but as serious contenders, they deserve to be at the World Cup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that are incredible and I have high, high hopes of my scuff, so I will be wearing that next Monday.
Speaker 3: Also, And you were.
Speaker 2: Saying to Jack and I, as much as we're sort of I've been watching all games really behind it, it's not quite the same for guys watching this, right, It is a different experience, you know. You were saying, it's a different thing the where you're seeing it from, like people like Jack and Iron Men.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you growing up, it's like a lived experience, right, So growing up you wouldn't have noticed that you didn't. You had all these men that you would watch and aspire to and could be one day.
Speaker 2: Right, you could easily play soccer as a guy. And as much as.
Speaker 1: You understand that women should could you know, have equality and do these things and see these girls and they deserve what they get. No one experiences it unless you are a female and you haven't had that and you notice the difference. And so that's why just last night, you know, I was really emotional because I just thought, Wow, this is incredible. All these little girls can actually see people like these women doing incredible things, doing great things, and they can see themselves doing that one day, and that's an option. Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I spoke to my daughter yesterday when she was getting on the tram from fred Square, she was in tears. She was saying, so she said, this is the most amazing experience of my life, just being there with everyone watching history, watching these girls do something on a world stage, magnificent and it being front page news. She said, he really felt like she was seeing a big shift in history.
Speaker 3: And just think of the amount of pressure that was on them last night, my god, and they didn't even meet the pressure. They exceeded the expectations of Australians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, amazing.
Speaker 1: Yes. The Christian O'Connell Show podcast