Speaker 1: Question. Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian o'connells Show podcast.
Speaker 2: So as we all try to come to terms with the shock news that Shane Warn is no longer in the world, that it's a death that makes no sense. It's not just the age, right, that he's fifty two. He should not have died at fifty two. It's just him. There was just something so big about him. He was you know, people say that phrase, don't they largeer the life? But he was. You look at any of his highlights. He literally liked tiger Woods could do it. He would bend the game, force it to somehow an ancient game, a rigid game like cricket, but somehow make it bend to his will. And the way he played cricket was the way he also lived his life. He put himself fully into it. There's something really amazing about that, actually in transcendent about what he did, which is why I think we're all feeling it today. So one thing also about Warn is he had time for people and he loved to love. So today, as much as we're mourning the sudden death of Shane Warn, we also want to take a moment to celebrate a great man. An iconic man, a Melbourne son. Either morning, we're looking for your weakest claim to Warnye. Some of you will have some shabby story about a shared passing with Warne. We want to mark that and record it today. Don't keep that story hidden away. Called us up today. Remember, no weak stories about Warny are to be spared. They all need to be shared today. Nine four one one oh four three. Jackie boy, you met him? I did.
Speaker 3: I met Warne in two thousand and seven during my first job in radio. I worked in Adelaide and we were doing a fundraiser at a tennis court. Warnie did actually so much for charity all his life.
Speaker 2: He half we don't even know about. I mean millions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well he raised a million dollars alone selling his baggy green in support of the bushfire recovery. Plus so much that we don't know about. But he was at this event. And you could win your way to receive a serve from Warny on a tennis court. I know that doesn't make us much sense as facing some spin bowling by warning, but you could win your way to.
Speaker 2: Like receiver serve from Warning. The shoulder must have been aching or something. He must have been injured surely.
Speaker 3: And I got to meet him after he did it. I was working at the radio station and he's such a lovely guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably full wattage charisma. This comes from d Christian. I was in my early twenties watching a local game of footy Shane's brother was playing in when Shane Warn suddenly sat on the same wooden fence log only a meter from me. I was a little starstruck, but tried to stay cool. That seemed changed when I felt a rumble along the log. It was showing. Yep, Shane Warn farted on the log we were sharing whilst watching the footy. We both laughed and then he turned to me and went, that's something you'll never forget. Rip thin King. Your weakest claim to Warning, Simone, good morning.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 4: My weakest link is Shane was born on the thirteenth of September up the pantry Gary william Angle Hospital, and I was born on the fifteenth and his birth notice is undermine in the newspaper.
Speaker 2: That is a great Yeah, Warnie came a long way from Upper Fine Tree, Gutty. That's amazing, Simon. That's a good one, strong start.
Speaker 5: Thanks for that.
Speaker 1: Have a great day and you David.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello David. What's your weakest claim to Warne?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Well, well so my weakest uh warning is to we ended up cleaning bricks and mortar Brits on a house that's for a renovation and we end up taking the mortar off on Shane Warne's house in Sane Tilda.
Speaker 2: Wow, yes, to take the mortar off, right, David.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were doing he was doing a massive renovation and I was only worked on it for a day and it was in so killed he had there was a wine cellar.
Speaker 2: Had a good look around if you had to take the all. So that's outside. We don't have a look around the wine there with your big boots. Yeah, big big house, big house right. Well.
Speaker 1: Christian Connell's show podcast.
Speaker 2: Celebrate the Great Man Shane warn did a special version this morning of our weakest claim to fame. Were simply calling it weakest claim to Warnie. Did you meet him? What happened? Diane? Welcome to the show, Thanks Christian.
Speaker 6: My weakest claim to Warning I think it was nineteen ninety two, ninety three he and the refuse of school to film a Marlo commercial were teaching us had a ball that you're so lucky.
Speaker 2: Not one legend, two legends if you include my life, the trifecta.
Speaker 1: And he was so cute.
Speaker 6: He was He wasn't as fa as all anything. He wasn't glad, he was just really cute.
Speaker 2: Oh that's amazing. Thank you very much to give us a caller share on that, Diane, Thank you, Lauren, good morning.
Speaker 6: Hello. Yes, my weakest claim to Warnie is I've come out of a job interview years and years ago. He was outside and I've inhaled his cigarette smoke se can.
Speaker 2: Hand Okay, Yeah, I mean we're looking for one of many. Yeah, it's sort of thing you normally want to share. It inding passive smoke, but it's warning, you know, so all bets are off. And was he outside nervous about going for the job interview that you're both doing for the key role? Was it?
Speaker 6: No, he was rich enough that he wouldn't need a job interview.
Speaker 2: All right, he was doing the interview. Maybe it was just.
Speaker 6: Outside on the straight after I got out.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 2: Yat, Thank you, Lauren. Thanks, Sir Clarin. Can't have any confusion, Adam, good morning.
Speaker 7: Good morning guys. My weakest claim to Warne was I was sort of. After hearing that his tragic passing, I was flipping from my Facebook feed and thought that one of my best mates from primary school actually won award in nineteen ninety two playing cricket at the Elston m Cricket Club and Warney presented the award to win. He had a photo with him and everything.
Speaker 2: That is pretty cool, And so was your friend pretty good at cricket? He must have been great.
Speaker 7: He was very good. But he funnily enough, he grew up to become a priest, but he didn't pursue cricket.
Speaker 2: But yeah, Warn he turned him maybe, Adam, thank you very much. You cool. Have a great day, guys, play Sharon. What's your weakest claim to Warning?
Speaker 8: Hello?
Speaker 5: My weakest claim to Warning is that my brother played football with him when they were probably for the sixth between six and eight in Country Galley and the football team was named the Fleets because they're only little Fellers. It wasn't until later in life that we realized that it was Shane Warne he played football because my mum pulled a photo out the football team photo and said that she played with Shane Warn.
Speaker 6: So I love that.
Speaker 2: And there was just an eight year old on a dart on a chugging the beer.
Speaker 3: We should know that quite possibly.
Speaker 2: That's a lovely one. Thank you for sharing. I have a great day and you Andy.
Speaker 1: Hey, how are you, Christian?
Speaker 2: I'm good, budd. I loving all these stories about warning. What have you got for us?
Speaker 8: My week exclaimed flame with warnings? That he stole me hot chips?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 2: Just anything?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: Someone hold the o bits.
Speaker 8: What we we're coaching a like a Melbourne Stars junior gala, like a day for their junior members at the mcg And we went for the lunch break and I came back with a bucket of chips. And anyway, he kicked off the session and he said, Mada, I'm going for a dart and he said, I know, is your chip sitting over there? Said yeah, absolutely help yourself to one. So he took both buckets of chips and he worked off.
Speaker 5: And that.
Speaker 2: It's warning. It's a great story. That is a great story. Andy, that's my favorite one so far. Thank you so much for sharing that today. You're a good man. This is the Christian O'Connell Show podcast