Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Sitdown. I'm Vif Christie, Managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine.
Speaker 2: And I'm Matrolope, a writer and editor for oz open dot com. And this week we're dipping into our archives and going back to one of our earliest episodes of the sit Down. Tell us a bit more about that.
Speaker 1: Yes, Matt. In only our fourth episode of the Sitdown, we chatted with Sam Stoso, who had recently been appointed Australia's Billy Jean King Cup Captain, and we touched on some fabulous themes, including the camaraderie between the Australian players, you know, her role as a role model, which it's sort of taken on unofficially for quite some time, and the opportunities in the sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the timing of this episode is quite good because not only Will of Australia just played another Billy Jean King Cup tie against Great Britain in Melbourne, but this is also the week of the WTA event in Stuttgart, which we got to talk to Sam about. She had great success there and she was able to tell us why it's such a favorite stop among players on the tour.
Speaker 1: Sam welcome to the sit down. It's great to be talking to you today.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much for having me Sam.
Speaker 1: I thought we'd start with a few questions around Australian tennis. You know, we know that you've sort of taken an informal role guiding some of the Aussie women over the last couple of years as sort of your career wound down. How does it feel to be sort of well, well, firstly, what inspired that and how does it feel to be doing that more formally now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean I guess now being in a position I'm in, it is more of a formal you know, captain coaching, mentoring sort of gig.
Speaker 3: But yeah, certainly, as my career.
Speaker 4: Was going on, I mean I always loved tennis anyway in general, and would always like the amount of conversations I'd have with different coaches and my coaches and people you know about Australian tennis. It was always, you know, a really passion, a big passion for me. So as I felt like, all right, I can start doing some of that and giving some of you know, myself, and you you know, the later on I played, I guess you sort of become a little less selfish and self centered about what you need to do and all that sort of stuff. But I just yeah, I've always taken interest. So I think our players here there's such a great group of people and they try and they give it everything to try and you know, whether it's one percent more that of information or help or whatever it may be to make them that a bit better. I love that prospect now. So yeah, being in this role, it's really exciting. I was pumped to, you know, get the nod and now be able to do it in a proper capacity.
Speaker 1: And you know, as as captain, is there any part of the role that you sort of weren't anticipating or anything that surprised you about the role so far?
Speaker 4: H Well, I mean it's still pretty fresh, but you know, yeah, I don't know. We'll see, we'll see. I think there's obviously a lot more to it than what I thought. It was pretty on the pulse as a player with bits and pieces, but certainly in prepping for tires and that sort of stuff, there is a whole lot more to it than what you definitely realize as a player. And I think, yeah, just the whole managing side of things to be honest, I've barely been on court, which kind of disappoints me.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 4: I want to get on court a little bit more than what I've been able to so far. So but yeah, I guess it's all part of it, and there's you know, the role is quite large with the scope of it, so just trying to find your feet in all the little avenues has been good.
Speaker 1: What's pleasing you the most about Australian women's tennis right now?
Speaker 4: Well, I think the fact that we've got such a big group of players, six or seven of them in the top one fifty, one sixty. Obviously we want as many in the top hundred as we possibly can, but if you're not going to be in one hundred, you want them as close to as possible. And we do have a group that are really knocking on the door. Obviously, Arena made it late last year. She's been hanging in there just in recent recent weeks. But you know, it only takes one extra win in a slightly bigger tournament, or you know, you know, you catch a break somewhere and then you get yourself in there, you get into the main drawer of another event, you win some matches and then boom you're off.
Speaker 3: So you know, they're in a.
Speaker 4: It's a tough position to be in right now because it's hard to play on all right, am I On the WHA Tour and on the challenge of Pro Circuit Tour, you sort of in this in and out phase a little bit, but you know, full belief in them that they're going to be able to make that transition and then once we can do that, hopefully, you know, not putting pressure on, but hopefully in months to come, we can see that group transition from outside of one hundred to inside and then hopefully beyond for sure.
Speaker 3: I'm going to ask you to put your WTA hat on now. Sam.
Speaker 2: This is the week of the clay court event in Stuttgart, which I think has been constantly, like consistently voted by the players as like the best five hundred or their favorite five tour. I know, and yeah, it's a long running event and you played there a couple of times and had quite a lot of success at it. I just wanted to find out from you, like, yeah, what is it like to play that, what makes it so great? And why was it always one that was on your schedule?
Speaker 3: So much. Well.
Speaker 4: Once I actually went there, it was always on my schedule, but I kind of didn't go there for a while because it was the first event sort of on the European clay court season, and being in Australia, I would have just been to the Middle East, play all through the US for five weeks, come home, and so always wanted to have like a week or two at home before you go again. So I sort of avoided stuck up for the early part of my career, and then once I got myself into the main drawer, I guess played and thought, oh gosh, what have I been doing?
Speaker 3: I love this tournament.
Speaker 4: That was a real mistake, but I think the arenas spectacular. They get really great crowds, you know, the hospitality, the food we would eat in the main hospitality area with all the big sponsors and corporates and stuff, so if you wanted to fill at stake for lunch you could and whatever. So it was just all laid on, really done well, and the court I genuinely loved. I was like, if I could ever build a tennis court at my house, I would put the indoor clay court from Stiokguart in there. So yeah, it was just always a great week.
Speaker 3: You actually you mentioning that court.
Speaker 2: I think I chatted to you last year as like a clay court preview and you told me about the Stikgart clay and I can't remember exactly what you said, but it sounded interesting. You said about the way the court is constructed, and it almost Yeah, maybe you can tell our listeners like, yeah, because it's not a typical or traditional clay court.
Speaker 3: Is it, no one, it's indoors.
Speaker 4: So because it's indoors, they've done there's something in the clay, whether it's this special type of oil or something that they've created, so that doesn't get dusty, and it doesn't dry out too much so you don't water it, but it.
Speaker 3: Keeps its consistency.
Speaker 4: I guess, you know, outdoor clay, when it gets really hot, it can get really dry, wind blows, it's all gone.
Speaker 3: Then you've only got the base layer. So yeah, the base.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the base is made out of, but it's rock solid, harder than they compact all the clay on top. And yeah, it's yeah, really unique because it's not too many I guess it's like building a roof on win wooden Center court. There's more to it than just putting a roof on top and think that the grass is going to be fine. It's you know, the humidity and everything else plays apart. So however they've done it, Yeah, has worked, But so so is it quite different? Because you often if you did well in Stitgut, you would do well at rolland garros Is. But the clay sounds quite different to a traditional like outdoor clay courts. So like, was it good preparation at the start of your clay court season to kind of get you going, because your ultimate goal is always rolling grass the clay season, So, like, you know, like was it did it serve its purpose in that way?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think so?
Speaker 4: I think. I mean it's a pretty true court. Obviously, there's no elements outside, there's no win there's no sun, there's no rain to deal with. Often, even like on the clay, you'll play in light rain or drizzle sometimes. So I think from that respect, you kind of it's a nice week to start your season in. I mean the tournament to get into you got to be top twenty six, twenty eight, thirty depending on the year.
Speaker 3: It has the best cutoff most of any tournament in the world.
Speaker 4: It's phenomeno's like the week before a Grand Slam, Like it's like what used to be, you know, Sydney Week or Adelaide sorry, Adelaide Week Eastbourne before Wimbledon. They get the highest basically caliber field they possibly could imagine, So ad to get in, you've got to be ranked high. You know you're going to be playing quality opponents. So that's a great test straight up already, you know, it's practice courts, and like I said, just the all round feeling of the event is nice, so you can do that kind of all right easy way in hopefully play well. You know, you never know if you're going to win a tournament or not, but do well and then it can really set you up. And ended up loving playing there because I loved playing on clay, so it was an opportunity to play like a full clay court season. And it's pretty short, it's not that much longer than the grass now, so I wanted every chance possible.
Speaker 3: To be on the surface.
Speaker 2: And you played some amazing players there in your career. So you made the final in twenty ten and you lost to Justine Enna. You also played a great match I think, sorry I'm mentioning your losses, but you played Scharup Hoover and it went for like three hours or something in the corner finals, and I think you went deep another time you played lee Na there bar totally, Like these are all Grand Slam champions. What were your particular highlights there over the years. Well, I mean, definitely playing Justine in the final. That was amazing.
Speaker 4: Like I hadn't had heaps and heaps of experience playing with someone like her, and she obviously with her record at Roland Garros, was you know, a joke. So playing her in the final and managed to win the second set and it was, oh yeah, I might have a chance here, and they ended up losing at six to one, but you know, that was a great experience. And then you know what, five weeks later, four weeks later, I ended up playing her at the French and beating her in three sets. So you know, having had that experience a few weeks before, knowing I could match it, you know, absolutely helped me then beat her arguably more important tournament in Roland Garross. So yeah, that was great. I mean I won the doubles there a couple of times and yeah. Again, just you could get a Porsche and go for a driver around stik Gart. That was pretty fun.
Speaker 3: Well still, gut that sounds we should go there. It sounds play for the worlch Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sam, you talked about how much you love Stuttgart and how much did that impact your love of clay generally or your relationship with clay.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean, well, like I said, it was the first real red clay court tournament of the season. I would have played in Charleston a number of times on the green clay, but it's a little bit different. But once, I mean early on in my career, I did not like playing on clay whatsoever. It was, you know, so foreign to me. My first junior trip when I was fifteen in the eighteenth team, I lost first round every week. Took me five years to win a match at Roland Garros, whether it was through juniors or qualities or Major or whatever the case. And I just in anything singles or double. So I just couldn't get my head around playing on clay.
Speaker 3: I couldn't move.
Speaker 4: And then eventually, I guess learned about my style of tennis and realized, oh, I should be able to play on this it could actually work and enhance what I do naturally well. And once I could kind of get my head around the sliding and the movement and everything else, it became my favorite surface. And like, looking back now, I wish I'd had a bit more insight to that when I was younger, to be able to adapt earlier in my career than what I did. But certainly, you know, playing a full clay court season was a high priority for me once I understood how.
Speaker 3: I could play on it.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I mean, like ultimately the goal was to try and win Roland Garros and I fell just short, but it was Yeah, that was always one of the best times of the season for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was one of the most successful periods of your career, of your season. But tell us about the European clay court season and how it's different to tennis in Australia.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it's I don't know, like clay court tennis. I love watching clay court tennis. I think that again, points are longer. You can kind of see the tactics playing out, the construction of points. It's not always easy to you know, hit winners early on in points, so you've got to be willing to grind a little bit open up the court, you know, kind of. I guess a lot of people might be surprised how many points actually finish up at net on clay, because you see someone you know pulled out wide and the racket faces open, you've got time to knock off a volley. But I just love the tactics and like the cat and mouse type that.
Speaker 3: The clay creates.
Speaker 4: And you know, even now, like doing some commentary last year commentating for Roll and Garro, so I was like, oh, that's what I laughed watching it again with you know, a purpose of commentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it is a style and the way that I love to watch tennis.
Speaker 1: And what was it about your game that brought out your best on clay?
Speaker 4: Well, definitely my heavy top spin on my forehand. I was able to use that as a real weapon because clay is a little bit slower, so the balls might be quick through the air, but obviously landing on the clay in the dirt, it kind of holds up on the bounce, so I had time to run around my backhand a little bit more and use my off forehand, which was my favorite shot. Because I hit it with heavy spin and a bit higher over than net. Typically it's quite bouncy, so I could put the ball in difficult positions for my opponents. And then yeah, being able to use my kick serve it was great on that surfa again, being able to get the height you know already kicker doesn't bounce, I guess like a typical sort of top spin bounce or a flatter bounce, so you could like, you know, it might hit a little funny spot on the court. You get that extra little hot which was always good. So I guess my two best shots my kicker on my forehand. That's what you want to be able to use on that surface, and that's what I had naturally, and then I was able to kind of use that even more so on the clay rather than a hardcourt.
Speaker 1: Heading into the clay court season, do you miss competing at this time.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 4: You know what last year it was with the first year I wasn't playing, watching Roland Garriss was kind of the first time I was like, oh, it'd be nice to be there. Oh it'd be nice to have a hit on the clay. So I mean, I mean, obviously it's a Grand Slam, and then you know, Wimbledon comes along, and then.
Speaker 3: You know everything else.
Speaker 4: So obviously those bigger tournaments always lovely to be part of. But yeah, I think it's probably that comes around and you're like, oh, I'll just have a hit.
Speaker 3: Let's just go have a hit.
Speaker 2: You said something earlier about eventually you worked out that your game suits it. Did a coach say to you, Sam, you could be great on this surf's or was that just a realization you had yourself.
Speaker 4: I don't remember a specific conversation with anyone or anything, but absolutely working with Dave at that point in my career, he yeah, he definitely would have kind of whether he said it as blatant as that, or kind of work the practices and things for them me to eventually work it out myself. I can't remember exactly how it all played out, but yeah, it certainly was. I think a big part of working with him that it was like, Okay.
Speaker 3: These are your best shots.
Speaker 4: This surface can help you create those shots more often and use it to create more spear or bounce, whatever it may be.
Speaker 3: You can do well here.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, you work on your movement about it, and you know, put the time in and the effort, and I've said it plenty of times before, Like you get a couple of wins here and there, you know, in a more of an uncomfortable situation, and all of a sudden you start believing, Oh, it's not so uncomfortable anymore. So I think it just took time for me to understand my tennis how to use it. And then yeah, get over that five year loss of matches.
Speaker 3: On the surface and you're like, oh, this isn't so bad. I can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the extreme in going from not being able to win a match to it being like your most productive and successful surface and favorite. Like actually listening to you talk about it, it sounds like you have quite like a romantic relationship with Cliente says, Oh, I love it. I love the points, Like there's a beauty about Clay Gontennis that you've seem to really love. It's surprising you've ended up there after how your relationship with it.
Speaker 4: So absolutely Yeah, No, if you ask me that when I was fifteen or six.
Speaker 3: You've got a big joking.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Well, it's been great to talk to you today, Sam.
Speaker 4: Thank you for your time, no problem, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Well, Matt, I hope there were a lot of young players listening to that interview because there were so many incredible lessons to take from Sam, including her persistence and patience. You know, she went from never being able to play on clay. Sorry, she went from not being able to play on clay when she first started out to going on to reach a Roland Garross final.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was amazing how she kind of redefined her relationship with the surface and went on to be one of Australia's greatest players on clay. So awesome to hear that journey for her. And we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never miss an episode when it lands in your feed, and if you could leave us a rating are of you, we'd love that too.
Speaker 3: See you next week, Viv See then, Matt,