Speaker 1: Imagine, if you will, that you are in a place of great beauty. Some teenage boys.
Speaker 2: Walk past you, they yell out, they bitch tits.
Speaker 1: The world you see is a place of paradox of beauty and cruelty.
Speaker 2: It will cut you off with the knees, then gift you a pair of easies.
Speaker 1: And that, my friends, is why you always always need a buck up.
Speaker 2: Bye bye ba by bye bye bye about a bite bite bite bite ba bye. Christmas time is upon us.
Speaker 1: Who's that coming down.
Speaker 2: My chimney asking me to feel his sack? What it's Santa?
Speaker 3: Feeling?
Speaker 2: Santa?
Speaker 1: Oh, my goodness?
Speaker 2: Am I naughty or nice? Which list?
Speaker 4: Am I?
Speaker 2: Aunt?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Am I getting colar rice better?
Speaker 4: But back?
Speaker 3: Shouldn't you be emptying his sack? Not feeling it?
Speaker 2: Feeling?
Speaker 1: Oh, feeling yeh, feeling feeling.
Speaker 3: There was a technical question there, yeh, yeh.
Speaker 1: Kate Lainebrook, Nate Valve. I'm sad, cutest elf.
Speaker 3: I'm sad because that is the last hang on little jiggle I'm getting for twenty twenty four season finale.
Speaker 1: This is we're on Christmas Eve?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It's Christmas Eve.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know you dressed up like an elf.
Speaker 2: But how elfan of you to not actually know I have my favorite goes on Sanda, I have my favorite Christmas jumper on Merry Christmas. You're filthy animal.
Speaker 3: And I am in shock that you did not know as is from did you know Sashhow?
Speaker 2: No, so I've got you know I've got huge gaps. Well hello, doctor, that right, I've got.
Speaker 3: Huge gaps, huge, huge.
Speaker 2: Gaps the Kardashian like in my gap like working with Kate, huge huge gaps in my cultural.
Speaker 3: Knowledge pop culture, knowledge of a stop culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, general so.
Speaker 3: Pop culture because it's it's movies.
Speaker 1: And you're right know about architecture.
Speaker 3: No, but you do notice some weird things about weird stuff.
Speaker 2: Sometimes. I hate it when people go when they're talking about a house or whatever, and they go to one of the houses designed by Leon.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, I don't they.
Speaker 2: Go, don't you know him? It's amazing architecture. I'm like, who do you think I am? Brad Pitt. Brad Pitt he developed an interesting architecture when he went out with Angelina Jolie, and he finally became interesting when he got off the when he got off the stinkweed with with that he was always on with Jennifer Aniston.
Speaker 3: Well, let me quickly, architects do not make anywhere near the amount of money that movies have made me think.
Speaker 2: That the odds for tell me, tell me, I told you, you tell me a Yeah, four architects an interior design.
Speaker 3: And my eyes were when I was talking to them, like how much are you on? It is?
Speaker 2: You ask them?
Speaker 3: So I need to know what jokes to make. It was nowhere near what I had in my head. It's such a romantic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's job, so you know what it's the In a rom com, a woman can do one of two jobs, one of which is being in a florist and the other is working for a bookshop, Yeah, bookshop or food magazine. And a man can be an architect, possibly a doctor. But if he's a doctor, he can't be near vaginas, right, Like, it's never been a gynecologist as the.
Speaker 1: Lead in a rom com.
Speaker 2: It's a clean doctor, clean doctor. He's like North, only North because I was so he wouldn't be a p dietress.
Speaker 3: Of course not that's not get away from me.
Speaker 2: But I'm not allowed to say with Peter Allen lewis what he won't let me say Ike.
Speaker 1: Ever, he's like the Taliban.
Speaker 3: Oh, there was a list of words the day.
Speaker 2: Where we were talking about something. I said, oh, something, and that's properly ik. I didn't even say gives me the eg, which I do find, ironically an expression that does give me the egg. So I just said, oh, that's a bit ike, and he.
Speaker 1: Went, please, don't ever say that again.
Speaker 3: So polite. He's the most polite member of the Taliban I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: It really is.
Speaker 2: He's like, excuse me, madam, would you mind covering your face and all of you? But I don't even know if that's from religious convictions.
Speaker 3: So the quote is from home alone, Marry.
Speaker 2: Christmas, you feel the animals? Who says it to WHOA?
Speaker 3: He's watching an old timey movie. It's a fake old timey movie, made up movie within the movie shoots everyone in the office and serves Merry Christmas, you feel for the animals.
Speaker 4: So good.
Speaker 3: It's my favorite Christmas movie.
Speaker 2: I think mine too.
Speaker 3: Do you like movies, Well, you've sent me some the other day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was watching one in sympathy with you.
Speaker 2: Huh, Because you're writing a Christmas movie we're trying to get turn plans.
Speaker 3: You were trying to get it made and cross everyone.
Speaker 2: The other day, after I had exploded in fury in the kitchen at the children. Right's traditional about it being messy. After I'd exploded at the children, Lewis first, But then I always do this thing where I have to act like I'm angry at the one who's not in the room, but hoping the message will get through to the one who's in the room.
Speaker 1: Right, It's really exactly you know what you are?
Speaker 2: What a perpetual double agent?
Speaker 1: Ah, a double agent, A mole. I'm totally a mole, a full mole.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So then I'm like, Sunday was going to batt and this and I can't.
Speaker 1: And then Sunday walked in, So that was terrible. That was anyway. I stomped out of the room.
Speaker 3: I was did the normal nice to Sunday. She's the only Buckey I love her out of your kids.
Speaker 1: Also, I just love her.
Speaker 2: Anyone who's got a teenage daughter or knows a teenage girl, they're really frightening. We're all scared of them.
Speaker 1: She is so beautiful.
Speaker 2: I love her, But there were years where I could not have looked you in the eye and said that, Oh yeah, kids, though no I didn't. Boys are much much more simple, Okay, boys are straightforward. I mean you do have a thing.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: So I went into the lounde room and because you know, the world is conspiring against us to prevent any enjoyment.
Speaker 3: Right, Merry Christmas. There's Christmas special. Is just filled the joy.
Speaker 2: Christmas.
Speaker 1: I hope it's my last day.
Speaker 3: This is our Christmas special. Okay, well, I hate my kids.
Speaker 2: There's no joy in the it has a happy ending. This is the thing about.
Speaker 3: The back up gathering.
Speaker 2: We all know that we will be walking barefoot through fecal matter, in the trenches of life, barefoot.
Speaker 3: Like Christmas itself. All the hotels will not let us in. No inn will have us.
Speaker 2: That's right for one anyway. So I went into the lound room to play. I just want to watch some something on TV. I wanted to go below Dick, yes, but I couldn't because of the I just know whatever we've cut off.
Speaker 1: We've been cut off.
Speaker 3: Pay your bill.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. We're piggybacking off someone I don't know who. Anyway, passwords have change everything. Bar codes of But you know what, I could watch bomb haven't done it? Christmas movie? Christmas movie and it said watch live. So I've got no option.
Speaker 3: Just quickly any free to wear producers currently listening or casting agents. You know, if we laughed the buck up.
Speaker 2: And also you know what, well may we disrespect it. But if that's gone, what the streamers have got you, as Mum would say, by those shortened curl, which is a terrible.
Speaker 3: Thank you for to ask for our barcode. I'm going to do it, ask for us. So I watched the Christmas movie Great and you didn't like it?
Speaker 2: No, I loved it.
Speaker 1: I watched all of it. Yea increment it had to the end, had.
Speaker 4: Been to the end.
Speaker 1: Also because it was so bad, I could hate watch it.
Speaker 2: The casting was terrible. I seen you.
Speaker 1: I see pictures of the cast like it was just terrible.
Speaker 3: Sent me four movies. By the way, I was thinking, I think you broke several copyright laws. The amount of video you actually sent you were basically giving me for you to anyway.
Speaker 1: I thought, you know what was really weird.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't even know what it's called, so immaterial, but the mother, the way they cast mothers, like she's the mother of the heroines. So a woman in her maybe sixties, yeah, maybe, Early said I don't like that portrayal of women.
Speaker 3: For us, Okay, I don't like details.
Speaker 2: Please, Well, just always they're sort of round, and they've got daggy hair, and they're always a bit nervous. And they went, we.
Speaker 5: Weren't when everything could be linking once when you were growing up. Look, I packed your Christmas bobbles and they brought them from Philadelphia, Like, why do we always have to be Her husband was as gay as Christmas always is, and they didn't address that, but he was absolutely he was gayer than Peter.
Speaker 3: You know what I want to get. I want to care so myself on our buck Up series finale Christmas special you ready?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: Hey, I'm all for equality in the world. I also want equality in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, however, I love this.
Speaker 3: If you're casting are known gay in your lead and he's straight, I am out. I'm watching the whole thing going bad.
Speaker 2: So this guy wasn't even, he wasn't even. He was playing the husband of this woman who was so low status.
Speaker 3: Well, hang on than this tricky territory, because now we're talking about, like, what's gay? What straight? Going?
Speaker 2: Literally in no scene did he touch the woman who was his wife. Literally, And at one stage she goes dancing out of the room and it sort of she had to go following shuffling him, and no doubt in some shoes she'd brought from the chemist. Because that's how little they dream. Maybe he's just a bad actor. Okay, okay, anyway I thought of you.
Speaker 1: We got around, well, I went, this is perfect.
Speaker 2: The world needs more Christmas movies because at the end I actually felt great.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: My issue with Christmas movies is something's happened in the last few years where they all think Christmas movies need to be rom coms. They do not. You can enjoy Christmas tragedy. Christmas is not about rom coms, I'm sorry, christ When it's about love. Christmas is about putting up with those psychotic individuals forced to be in the room with you called your family. True, that is what Christmas movies should be about. It's those people. Lock them in a room and let's watch them for ninety minutes.
Speaker 1: Because you know what happens.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this today because I'm about to prep Christmas, right and we go to Peter's mum, mom and dad and all the family churn up and nay Christmas Day, Christmas Day. And I thought about it because doing Christmas, you know, people like you don't.
Speaker 5: Have to endure anything if you don't like your family.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, that's true, you don't have to.
Speaker 2: And if your family has been like a really, if they're into the dark arts, I understand that that you avoid them. But otherwise the stretch of Christmas is like an emotional yoga class.
Speaker 3: A lot of breathing, a lot of you.
Speaker 2: Know what happens when you come through it, You reach a point at which you attain I mean, you you ground down, but it's except its acceptance. It's acceptance. And is that not what we're all supposed to be doing in the way.
Speaker 3: To Christmas is to just in intervals, just go and stand outside for a bit.
Speaker 2: Well that's why, that's what's happened.
Speaker 3: Now that people are uncles and Grandpa's always Grandpa.
Speaker 2: They just just going to.
Speaker 3: Stare at stuff. They worked it out so just as many times as you can just get outside, I.
Speaker 1: Thought they did that. When it's time to.
Speaker 3: Do the dishes, no, just look ahead look at it.
Speaker 2: They just stare.
Speaker 3: If you can grab a body of water, even better, God man of a certain age just loves staring at bodies of water. New Pool will do it. Yeah. Second tip that I realized this until a couple of years ago. An uncle of mine, he's a big job for the day. It's cooking the meat. It's all about cooking the meat on the barbie. Then my dad was cooking me in the barbie a couple of years ago, and then it hit me, Kate, men cook the meat on the barbie so they don't have to do to anyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they go out.
Speaker 3: It taken so long to realize because.
Speaker 2: Nate, Yes, Kate, you know that thing they say about how men communicate side by side and shoulder communicate face to face. So how what happens when men and cook on a barbecue looking forward and someone always comes up and stands next to that.
Speaker 1: I think those could use it too, is sort of thing the chef.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a kiss, it's perfect, it's the chef perfect.
Speaker 3: That's a bit done. Does your dad beloves a barbecue? He's been out there a few times over the years.
Speaker 2: Has he got a novelty apron?
Speaker 3: And kiss?
Speaker 2: Yes, kiss the chef or would you wear one with fake boobs on it?
Speaker 3: Probably not? How's your dad? Good tits?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 3: See the Italians listening. I don't know a lot of Italians love Christmas Eve, so my whole life Christmas has been split over the too, which is fantastic. Got a huge Italian feast on Christmas Eve with which is so funny. Corals by candlelight playing on Non's TV the size of probably an iPhone. Now, all those.
Speaker 2: Years, what was her favorite.
Speaker 3: Of the Carol one was actually watching?
Speaker 2: It was alright, Marina Pry was always Pregnantrina always Marina Prime, always pregnant, beautiful, Well, she's very saintly.
Speaker 3: Love the woman, great voice.
Speaker 2: Memory of her apparently be conceived immaculately. That's how committed she was to the role of Carols.
Speaker 3: A lot of meat cooking was the point. A lot of men just taking turns of cooking.
Speaker 2: This is not a euphemism.
Speaker 3: Oh hello, but I've got very good at glazing.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 3: Very eating sausages or you are you can.
Speaker 2: I'm a ham glazer. I'm a ham glazer. I'll be glazing one for tomorrow, blazing a ham Yeah, very have you had my glazed ham sush, yes, delicious, commercious.
Speaker 3: Do you use honey?
Speaker 2: And do you don't care what I use? Look at you trying to.
Speaker 3: N nuts.
Speaker 2: When I said it was a euphemism that means it's not a sexual thing putting nuts.
Speaker 3: I remember one year Cody took it upon himself to blaze the ham for everyone, and he really he really committed to it. And there was like, I can't remember what kind of nut was there, and it was excellent. I swear macadamia, macadamia.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know, the dabler.
Speaker 3: That was real good.
Speaker 2: I put nuts and bacon on my potato salad, which I also make a stunning potato salad. I've got a few specialties and now I don't deviate from them. That's just what I do. They're enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's enough.
Speaker 2: Who will you have Christmas with?
Speaker 3: So we will do. We will do. Some Italians on Creative Dabbler.
Speaker 2: Go to Queensland.
Speaker 3: We're splitting this year. Hello to the folks that are splitting broken families.
Speaker 1: My goodness, is he going to Queensland.
Speaker 3: He's going to Queensland this year with the Dabblers. The Dabblers, they're going on some island to be what they do Queenslanda's island.
Speaker 2: Is it Stradbroke Island?
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably going.
Speaker 4: Days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's also forty on the twenty eighth of December.
Speaker 2: That you won't be there to celebrate.
Speaker 3: He will be there for that as in Christmas to kind.
Speaker 2: Of mix with the family.
Speaker 1: Family and you'll be here with the Italians.
Speaker 3: Or here with the Italians. And we have a special guest the buck Ups number one fan Nikola nephew Nikolai in Amsterdam.
Speaker 2: Nikolai is coming from Holland.
Speaker 4: Nicolai. How hearted a hood?
Speaker 3: Ico FaceTime Nico. Just before we walked in the studio, I wanted to meet Kate.
Speaker 2: What did he say to me?
Speaker 3: He said, hey, bitched it?
Speaker 2: Hey, bitch chits it did I didn't know how I felt about that. I thought, oh, I hope there's parental approval. But then your brother was yelling out bitch ships from the front seat. Loved it, loved it.
Speaker 3: There's not nice. He really bucked him up.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful.
Speaker 3: And then yes, all my family all day Christmas day, food food kids. I will eat my food. I will go and stand in the backyard and stare at the pool. Yeah, you, of course, well my hands behind my back. Of course, with an uncle or two, an uncle or two, I have a chat and then go home.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas, everybody, Christmas spirit.
Speaker 3: I do love Christmas. It is I think it is surprising. It's surprising. I don't think I give off Christmas joy, but I love Christmas trees, decorations. There's lights in front of my house, Kate, what lights? Have you got our food lights up?
Speaker 2: Who put them up?
Speaker 3: Put them up?
Speaker 1: You put them Mark?
Speaker 3: Put them up? Put them up. I've got a thing on the door, Christmas trees up. Yeah, I've got it made. I love it all. Cody's like fine, he just puts up with it.
Speaker 2: So adorable.
Speaker 3: Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love Christmas.
Speaker 2: Christmas well, okay, I've got a strange relationship with Christmas.
Speaker 3: Before you say the next thing, what I do get off you is you're one of those I need the Christmas tree to be real.
Speaker 2: No, We've got a plastic one.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's you know.
Speaker 2: You think that about me. But what you're forgetting is that I was raised without Christmas. So I had probably my first Christmas when I was twenty, and so Christmas is very strange to me.
Speaker 1: And particularly with children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't like.
Speaker 2: Children aren't listening to this, are they?
Speaker 1: Line might be listening.
Speaker 3: You don't like somebody.
Speaker 2: Santa's amazing, HU, but not as amazing as some of the other people who live in the house, if you know.
Speaker 4: What I mean.
Speaker 3: One morning, I don't I can't remember my age. Yeah, true story. Yeah, that's how I learned things about the world. What by sneaking out early, young Nathan, Yeah, sneaks out early, Yeah, into the laundry.
Speaker 2: The house was sleeping. Not a creature was stirring, not in the mouse.
Speaker 3: My mum kiss for some reason, kissing Santa the tree, kissing Satan my presence right, And I got screamed out to go back to bed. I got up too early.
Speaker 2: She wanted, obviously to know what you were going to get.
Speaker 3: So there you go, kids, and you know what she'd been up all night, And as a twenty three year old I.
Speaker 2: Was anyway, I think so your relationship. So I just found it strange. And I kept saying to Peter when we especially when we first had children, because that's when you really when really and when Christmas people really kick in. And I would just go but this is too much the Dutch of God is saying, Nikolai will not enjoy this. A child's hand is easily filled.
Speaker 3: Oh I've offered, isn't that?
Speaker 2: But that's a beautiful saying. So the children don't need a lot like they'll play with a well, as Sash does to her son Milo, a lump of coal.
Speaker 1: He'll play with a lump of coal for hours on it, smear it on his face and call him sootie.
Speaker 4: Right, that's that's what will happen.
Speaker 3: Throw him on, red faces on you know, red I.
Speaker 2: Don't need to put up, I need to put it.
Speaker 1: Oh I will a red face on the sooty fan.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Christmas is so I have a complex relationship with it, but I actually love it. I love the day. I love I can't believe you've had this your whole life, your whole life. Amazing things. And you arrive and you pack things in the car, and then you all get out and eenies and then you eat, and then you have random cuddles and Peter's mum is just the most magnificent nana, And then her sister will come around and everyone drops in and the kids go play cricket in the backyard.
Speaker 1: A lot of concrete. It's just beautiful.
Speaker 3: It's Christmas.
Speaker 2: It's Christmas.
Speaker 3: Kids are not doing which really hurts.
Speaker 2: My housework in my house.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We grew up in a street with a lot of kids. So many kids. Yeah, I would say around twenty to twenty five of us that will hang out often. You know, the day's kids. You leave the house at nine am, not come.
Speaker 2: Back to dinner, had to drink from the hose.
Speaker 3: All of that Christmas morning was psycotic.
Speaker 2: We were running up and down, knocking on doors.
Speaker 4: What do you get?
Speaker 2: What you get?
Speaker 3: Running back there, running with the bike and crying because their bikes better.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, because he's got a book.
Speaker 3: There's a fire over something else. This got broken. No batteries for these batteries, no battery. My water gun sucks. Yeah yeah, lied to me. We're nearest now and it's already broken broken. Yeah, we're are the batteries. Mum and dad.
Speaker 1: Do you think that doesn't happen now?
Speaker 3: I don't think it happens. Doesn't happen for any of my nieces or nephews. None of them have the.
Speaker 2: Relationship with kids. Like a street there because people are scared. The children are all inside the devices.
Speaker 3: They've seen too many Netflix true crime documentaries that start with footage of kids running up and down.
Speaker 2: That's right, But you know he's the He's the great. If we can take one little bit of wisdom from this world, just one please, The great lie that we all believe this generation of parents is that the children are safer inside on devices than they are out on the street.
Speaker 3: More bloody wrong? Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: You know what? Push them out the door, make them believe, and shut them and let them work.
Speaker 4: Work.
Speaker 2: And also, how many great Australian sprinters have been born from running away from the neighborhood, peto, because you knew as a kid everyone knew the house to avoid everyone.
Speaker 3: You get this growing up in Greensboro, Hell, Greensboro, huge, big childhood rumor that used to scare the living daylights out of every kid in my street. Was this we made? It was probably made up the man in the white van. The man would be out in the street and would be playing soccer or something. Yeah, I wasn't, No, they were doing something else.
Speaker 2: Can I blow your whistle?
Speaker 3: Can I blow your whistle? Okay? If anuendo? When I was nine, No, that wasn't.
Speaker 2: It was literally, he would have loved the whistle. And you would have said, can I just give you a hint? And they would have been, valvo is going to give you some feedback on soccer. You'd be like, your sox would look better if you pulled them up to mid calf and didn't light them.
Speaker 1: Can't roll down like that.
Speaker 3: So someone would someone would yell out, lying, but man in the white van, and and then everyone would like scream in terror. They would run inside. They dropped their bike in the middle of the foot path. It was intense, right just two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, would you see there is a real he's a real man in the white van.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they think it might have been several men.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is several mens. Maybe we should move on because it's.
Speaker 4: Christ I was like, are you detail you think?
Speaker 3: But that got shot off between a few of us, do.
Speaker 2: You know who?
Speaker 1: Okay, so we need to reflect.
Speaker 3: That blew up in the peeballs up.
Speaker 2: But also don't you love it? The kids now onto it. They're like, I'm not getting in your They're like totally onto it, Like what's your wife?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: You know who?
Speaker 3: It's terrible for well, besides the kids.
Speaker 2: No, that franchise of white vans.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, terror for them.
Speaker 3: Terror. That's a that's that's that's very bizarre. Really, that's really crazy that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was the neighborhood game when we were young, that we would you call it?
Speaker 1: That was the thing I could say, you couldn't misuse it.
Speaker 3: I have another story to tell, but I think it actually is probably too great.
Speaker 4: To mccams stop.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll move on. It's Christmas, Kate. I googled something for our listeners tomorrow and it's this. It's a bit of an even flow to the conversation at Christmas lunch. We all know that this is apparently a bunch of questions you're supposed to ask people to get conversations started.
Speaker 1: Why do you need to get conversation started.
Speaker 3: It's saying it's like, it's like and it's it's to say, well, the article was about so you don't do politics?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, don't do you don't want to do politics, don't do politics. Unleas of course you all share the same politics.
Speaker 3: But even then, I say spice it up. I say go for it. Why not grow up?
Speaker 2: Okay, people haven't grown up? People are more childlike than ever.
Speaker 3: Here's some questions Kate feeling who you really are, and the answers. If I asked anyone in my family any of these, i'ld get bullied for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: But are you going to pretend that we're all right?
Speaker 3: You're ready?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Don't actually eat?
Speaker 2: No, I've got a fredo and it's a wide headed fredo and they're so rare.
Speaker 3: Really says it on the bucket.
Speaker 4: I didn't look. I didn't look.
Speaker 2: But also they're hard to find. Yeah, he's a milky top. Can I blow you with them?
Speaker 3: What age were you when you discovered that you were a milkie top? Well, actually the first question is quite funny because we know the answer. What would you like to title your biography?
Speaker 1: Constantly fossicking?
Speaker 2: Constantly fossicking?
Speaker 3: Hate your chocolate?
Speaker 2: I can't, I couldn't.
Speaker 3: You're gonna ask to ask family members this tomorrow family members. I know you're gonna get bullied.
Speaker 2: Try explaining first what a biography is. Then we'll get onto what you call it, like what a presumption and what a middle class present?
Speaker 3: Right now, if you're getting annoyed by Kate talking with her mouthfull, this is just warming up for tomorrow with all your family at the table. This is not isn't This question is not the worst. I think some answers would be, all right, what is the best perk of your job?
Speaker 2: I don't have a job. I don't have a job, So I'm gonna say, what's your perk?
Speaker 3: If your caller?
Speaker 2: And we don't have it? Tonight? You lift the cal No. No, I'm really sorry. I know, but I had to raise that. You know, I'm hanging by a thread. I'm hanging.
Speaker 1: I'm hanging by a threat, and it's a gossamer thread.
Speaker 3: It's Christmas Eve, so apparently you can ask people that tomorrow.
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 3: What's the best perk of your job?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 3: Like that one?
Speaker 2: No, I don't mind it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I don't like anything that requires me.
Speaker 3: To think, Okay, what about this one?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 3: Are you summer? Fall, spring or winter?
Speaker 2: Oh? My sm reminds me of a column. I just had to write a magazine and then I just saw someone good. Someone on Twitter said to me, I hope you didn't get paid paid for riding that garbage.
Speaker 3: So you saw my comment?
Speaker 1: Oh I love people. I'm like, do you know what?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: I did, and you're not wrong.
Speaker 3: Okay, well this is a fine one. Get your phone out for this one. What is the last thing you took a screen cap off?
Speaker 4: Oh the time.
Speaker 3: I don't like anything that makes people well, this is what you're supposed to ask people tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what I bought?
Speaker 2: This is perfect, but it's too late to order it. So someone put up a thread so of what to get men for Christmas. So some woman put it up. I think same people put a whole list. It was such a great thread the things that they Yeah, it's too late, so I was going to order Peter, but it won't arrive by tomorrow. A tactical flashlight by a company called Phoenix Lighting. You should see how bright it is.
Speaker 3: You need a good light for possum searching. Remember that used to go for a big walk at night look for poss.
Speaker 1: You don't have to look for possums in my neighborhood.
Speaker 2: That's funny, and that reminded me. I was going to order it and I forgot.
Speaker 3: So what's the last thing in screen cup? What is it? It is a comedian that looks like the Assassin, the CEO Assassin.
Speaker 2: The Assassin.
Speaker 1: I'm troubled by the eyebrow different.
Speaker 3: I think everyone should bring that up tomorrow.
Speaker 1: How will that go at the table before that?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, an empty glass pudding.
Speaker 1: It had Milo in it.
Speaker 2: So, my youngest this is one of the things that tipped me.
Speaker 1: Over the edge.
Speaker 2: And I've started taking photos of them everywhere. He's become obsessed with Milo. But he leaves the cats caked with the Miley everywhere.
Speaker 3: Ah, because what sort of yours?
Speaker 2: In?
Speaker 3: As In leaves glasses absolutely everywhere. It's Cody's favorite hobby is counting how many guys around the house.
Speaker 2: Yarny leaves things everywhere.
Speaker 3: I think one day it's your last one. You know how I turned forty one a couple of weeks ago. Yes, this is how I knew that I had turned forty one two weeks ago. Happy birthday email from Brunswick Road per Dietary.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say it was.
Speaker 3: A meme that I get you. How do they get my email?
Speaker 1: So something memes?
Speaker 3: I'm going to do the same topic here.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I can't remember when I sent you. All I know is that yesterday or the day before I got a message from you saying why you up so early, and I was like, it's nine o'clock. It's not that early. And then I realized I'd messaged you in the middle of the night, and apparently I sent you a meme, which is really weird because I don't even send memes.
Speaker 1: Have you ever known me to send a meme such?
Speaker 3: So it gets so interesting, it gets worse because you've sent me a meme that you don't know how to do, right, But also it's a Simpson's meme.
Speaker 1: Right, what which is?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 1: He's coming up to minions?
Speaker 3: What the kate?
Speaker 2: What was it?
Speaker 3: It was a Simpson's character, Ralph, Ralph Little, Ralphie, doumb Ralphie, Ralph Wigan.
Speaker 2: Mike flying, Mike my cat breath smells that cat food.
Speaker 3: He's flying through a window. Yeah yeah, and text says my kidnappers returning me back after listening to me talk about conspiracies for two hours and I see that four am.
Speaker 1: That's so weird because you know what else?
Speaker 2: So that made me go, you're doing I don't know. I literally have no recollection of it. And also something else has started that's really weird. I've been ordering stuff in the middle of the night.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: So I looked at my PayPal pass codes and then like two eighteen am, four am, here is your past cood. Don't share it with anything. And so this is what I did, the same night as me sending you that meme, which is so weird.
Speaker 1: I've ordered I've ordered a three kilo box.
Speaker 2: Of prots prawns from a place called Skull Island. Know what what what what.
Speaker 3: Questions? Three kilo from a place called.
Speaker 2: Skullull Island, all that, And I only know because look, Scull Island to Kate Lanebrook, your Scully's order is confirmed. It's arriving today. It might be arriving now. Well they look stunning.
Speaker 3: Then they're coming to you frozen.
Speaker 1: I don't know, in nice like we're all a Scull Island.
Speaker 2: But also I hope someone's home to receive them while we're doing this. But like I want to know how the transport them to No idea like no idea fresh braunze fresh are frozen, Skull Island, sash Skull. It all started in a modest car park.
Speaker 1: Where all good brawnze come from.
Speaker 3: If I want my seafood to come from anywhere.
Speaker 2: At said that, because okay, so other alarming things. Every day for the last parcels have been arriving like supplements, Supplements that I've been ordering in the middle of the night, obviously that I have no recollection of. Okay, so here's my new supplement. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: How to use it.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to use it.
Speaker 3: It's a Christmas cooker, all right.
Speaker 1: This is so cookery.
Speaker 2: I can't even remember what the name of it is. Hang on, I've got to put it in.
Speaker 3: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but I'll tell you what it is. I think it's a pain. It's supposed to be good for pain. Apparently it's good for everything.
Speaker 1: Heroine no, but you know what it is.
Speaker 2: It's a byproduct of when they make paper.
Speaker 1: It's one of the chemicals.
Speaker 2: That comes out of the pine when they're pressing the pine, and something they use to make pulp.
Speaker 1: D H O M d H O D A s H.
Speaker 2: We've had stuff stuff.
Speaker 4: We had the.
Speaker 2: Pine needle extract that.
Speaker 1: Was different that Hoage.
Speaker 3: Thought was that for.
Speaker 2: Skin was good and I can't so all this has been going on in the night.
Speaker 3: Chemical they take out of the paper you're now ingesting to feel better?
Speaker 1: Correct well, I don't know how to ingest it.
Speaker 2: I've just rubbed a bit on me because very cautious about what I should do with that. But literally, I don't know how it's arrived. I've been ordering stuff in the middle of the night and ordering prawns.
Speaker 3: Malotonins. I got you. Yeah, maybe you in Germany.
Speaker 2: But I'm not just taking those ones? Are they from Germany?
Speaker 3: So you're popping German malatonin tablets, sending Simpson memes.
Speaker 1: Ordering prawns France with skull Island.
Speaker 3: Something's they're gonna steal so much money from your account?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I think they're honorable people, are they? I don't think prawn people are dodging.
Speaker 3: Through the words car park, pirates, pirate.
Speaker 2: They also say.
Speaker 1: Humble beginning car park.
Speaker 2: The car park's disturbing. Where is it a place? Sash? Anyway, you'll be I'm going to send phonods tomorrow when we are eating those delicious, slightly defrosted, soggy prawns.
Speaker 3: So yes, you said with that Simpsons meme at three o'clock in the morning, it is when you're higher on your little paper.
Speaker 2: Yes, h what's it called?
Speaker 3: Eh need the cooker again? I'm sorry when she starts saying letters, random letters HD seven h oh the f U five seven ts pm anyway, go on. I was lying in bed in Fiji.
Speaker 2: That's buller bull.
Speaker 3: How we said buller so much, so much. When you travel with your partner, I always feel like there's one of you that's way you take. You say things a lot quicker than the other one. I was saying, Buller. Taken off from Melbourne, mate, Buller on the plane takes people a couple of you got warm up to the warmer.
Speaker 2: When did he warm up?
Speaker 3: We got their day one we got there. But you know, I was dropping some bullers in the fly on.
Speaker 2: The greet you with a lay all of it. You've got a cocktail and they've moved on from the lay.
Speaker 3: We've got some shell necklaces and you know what, Hats off to the buller Buller, to the Fiji hot staff who are pulling out the guitars when.
Speaker 2: You're right and aren't they beautiful singing?
Speaker 3: It wasn't It wasn't a beautiful thing late at night mad On Carver last plane.
Speaker 1: Absolutely they will walk eye on a car plan.
Speaker 2: Did you have some carva? Did you drink from that Mark.
Speaker 3: Getting off of the terminal. There's a acoustic seess going on. It was beautiful, brought a tear to my eye and also very religious. Okay, yeah, churchy, like.
Speaker 2: They go to these open.
Speaker 3: Eggs, very nice to my people. So it's a nice church. Cody loves an adventure Coinslanders, Coinslanders.
Speaker 2: No, but Fiji's for doing nothing.
Speaker 3: Well, no, we eventually did nothing. So he did one of those ones where you have to take a boat to get to the place.
Speaker 1: No mainland seasick.
Speaker 2: I want to say it a hotel that has seven of them in Melbourne. Yeah, yeah, you do.
Speaker 3: I want to know.
Speaker 2: You want to not know that you're in a foreign country at all. What you want is to think.
Speaker 3: I want CNN on the TV in the hotel room. What I only watched CNN when I'm in a hotel.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But we always fall in love with some foreign news reader. When we watch them, we're like, she's amazing, and they're always so grim.
Speaker 3: We sleep the night at air Conon in a hotel near the airport because we was late at night, but up up very early to get on the first boat to go out to the island. Sky Island, known for their prose.
Speaker 2: Did you see them packing my order? All right?
Speaker 1: Did you have to get a bus to get to the boat? I know you did.
Speaker 3: Taxi to the boat? Taxi taxi. We When I first saw the boat, I thought, okay, so that's the boat that takes us to the boat. Oh no, the boat, but that was the boat? No, no, no, no no, that's the boat that just takes you out of the shallow bit and then you get onto the boat. Boat.
Speaker 4: But there was no.
Speaker 3: Boat, no other boat.
Speaker 1: It was like I was like, okay, it's how many of you on the boat for?
Speaker 2: Oh, that's all right? How big was the boat designed for? Two?
Speaker 3: Probably one? The jet skid? Yeah, I thought I can do, Like, that's what half an hour to these islands? Oh no, one hour and forty there's no half an hour, one hour and forty five minutes on a boat that I don't know, probably isn't a boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And was it smacking into that so much smacking? No?
Speaker 1: Did you have your son block? Did you have your son block?
Speaker 4: Kate?
Speaker 3: I said this to myself, Yeah, you cannot be Melbourne Eith. You have to be you have to be Fiji. Nate, Nate.
Speaker 1: Fuck? Do you know what I imagine that you're like Bucy Goosey. You could be a character.
Speaker 3: I'll say one thing to you that will say, oh wow, that's Fiji. Eighth, I had white loatus, shorts and songs on that's Fiji, which I have.
Speaker 2: If I see your beer toes, that's the end of my had that's the end of ours too.
Speaker 3: Intimates better. I had to buy the day before.
Speaker 2: Where did you go?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean to get we do. I got to get thongs.
Speaker 2: It's very hard. You would have gone your you came up. No, no, do not bill a.
Speaker 3: Bong rip curl bill bong slash bloody spency. Yeah they are so expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeh.
Speaker 3: Nath Alvo dropped into cotton on the day before. All right, how much fifteen twenty bucks? Thirty buck shorts? You Fiji nith is ready ready Superman in your head. I wore a lot of sunscreen, a hat cap, a cat a cap that is not Fiji sunglasses. You need a collared shirt so I can pop up the collar to protect.
Speaker 2: My and neck and also so people will think you're into rugby. Important for making friends in Fiji. Nah loves rugby.
Speaker 3: Touchdown mate.
Speaker 1: Those sausages need turning.
Speaker 3: Touch.
Speaker 1: You know what make this barbecue great? Some skull island praude.
Speaker 2: Me Harby and I picked some up this me partner.
Speaker 3: And this morning elball Tody spelled I e big ditties.
Speaker 1: Did you meet people?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: This is this was funny. I also feel that it doesn't make you a rude person. But there's people on holidays. They aren't up for the chat. Some people just want to chill and relax.
Speaker 1: Is that you and are you justifying yourself?
Speaker 3: No, I'm actually not dabbler. God bless it.
Speaker 1: I doesn't want to chat.
Speaker 3: He's also because he's gotter find him that in life.
Speaker 4: He's certainly like this.
Speaker 3: On this podcast, Gody and me came to the conclusion that I have a face that people want to talk to. I think a lot of people have a face. Yeah, it's you're not born with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, it's true, I would talk to you.
Speaker 3: There's a science and there's just.
Speaker 1: Something that you want.
Speaker 3: It's not got it, it's just got it. It's something about someone's face and you can't figure out. I think I've definitely got it. But I also pick it up in other people. You can just pick up on someone you're.
Speaker 1: Going to tell to talk wants to talk?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like a They look at Cody and I and they know that I'm the one to talk to. If you and Peter standing next to each other, I feel like.
Speaker 2: I know Peter often talks to people. He talks to people to open up to him.
Speaker 3: Do you know who doesn't want to He who doesn't want to talk to absolutely anyone most of the time his husbands. Of the woman who wants to talk.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that's right, but that's that wants someone else's shoulder, the bird, I.
Speaker 3: Don't want to talk to anyone. Two things I want to tell you, bloody having a ball. I got drunk very easily cause the heat.
Speaker 2: What were you drinking Therein.
Speaker 3: A photo they had made a special colure cocktail at the bar. Not for me or this pod.
Speaker 1: It just happened to have recognize the beauty of Calue.
Speaker 3: I had a clue of cocktail that was that was that was a lot something. I sent it to you. I said it to the I didn't say it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know about a group chat.
Speaker 3: Yeah you're in it, mate, but that's fine. You know how you said before that no one trusts the kids to go out in the streets because of most of the true crime I've noticed that true crime documentaries have done something to me. You're looking at the photo. Cool here, there's nothing in the group. I didn't send it in my head. I sent it.
Speaker 2: Oh, my goodness, in my head.
Speaker 3: I sent it my you know what, you'll finish.
Speaker 2: That's it. I've had enough of Nah, you can't be trusted.
Speaker 3: Here's what true crime documentaries and true crime stories have. A fear they've given me that I never used to have. Are you ready? Couples snork.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is new to me, don't do it.
Speaker 3: So Cody was like, just go snorking, let's go stalking.
Speaker 2: Let's go stalking.
Speaker 3: And then all of a sudden, I was like, why do you want to go snorgling?
Speaker 1: So bad?
Speaker 3: But this is new right, And I was thinking, I blame all these snorggling.
Speaker 2: True crimes happened, so all the women who go on honeymoon, like man never come back on honeymoon, go yeah yeah, And it hit me.
Speaker 1: And then the dabbler comes back and he's all.
Speaker 3: Bereafed, no one, he doesn't want to talk to anyone. He's thinking of his plan going through his eye white lace, and I suppose maybe it was white lotus a little bit. So there was a snorkeling thing where they take you out all the way out and you've got to like do this training first and dead snorking. Well it was like a twenty minute just this is what happens on the boat, YadA, I'm like, closer to the shore. It doesn't need a boat. Yes, so we did that one instead, did you? And we go out classic didn't didn't take my man's cap.
Speaker 2: Oh no, well you just change.
Speaker 3: I don't know what how this happens. I don't know how this is even possible to happen in the ocean. So we go out and I don't know what happened when under it came out. Maybe with a wife something happened, and in two minutes I had just lost the gear was gone.
Speaker 4: It just disappears.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'm standing like that can't happen.
Speaker 1: A renowned for getting study.
Speaker 3: And when you and Cody was telling me, push harder, push harder, to push, you've got to get so Queensland, we get near water, push it in in, give it here. He's finally talking, is he lost, just not yelling out to him. He's flying off into the distance.
Speaker 2: He's all sorts of under.
Speaker 3: He popsusy O'Neil off into the horizon. So I'm screaming out to him, I've.
Speaker 2: Lost my.
Speaker 4: I've lost my.
Speaker 3: Fun, easy going, fete, complastic, complete down. Then you know, my foot hurts because it hits some coral and so I have to go back to the short.
Speaker 2: And is he still out there?
Speaker 3: Human so far out that it actually makes me uncomfortable. But obviously he does triathlons, he swims in the ocean, but it made me very uncomfortable how far he went out.
Speaker 2: What I've just come back.
Speaker 1: He needed to get away, he just needed to get away.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm standing up to my knees sleep, I've last night. SnO, don't have to pay fifty bucks. By the way, what fifty someone else's Well, there was none. Let that you have to go in like strewn around the beach, fifty bucks for my lost. So if anyone's going into it near Fiji soon, look out in the ocean for snorkeling gear, because that's that's mine. So day that was, But I forgot to tell what happened on day one. I'm like, finally I would a five day get away away from the hustle and bustle just before Christmas, tapping out for the year.
Speaker 2: Effect was so envious of that.
Speaker 3: In my head, I was, I've only got one more thing to do, which is the buck up record when I get back for Christmas relaxing. But I was mainly getting away from by the way you listen to last week's episode was the war I am in with the birds. These birds that are They're still going ten to twelve hours a day. They do not stop. We've got messages on the instant people reacting to the story. Can't kill them, can't kill them, can't kill them.
Speaker 2: Not yet.
Speaker 1: We sit down and rast them on Christmas.
Speaker 3: Down, we sit down at the table. We sit down at the table at Fiji for my relaxing first breakfast on day one, and what away here?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, that's the same.
Speaker 1: Booth the bird is in Fiji.
Speaker 2: The birds also taking a holiday.
Speaker 3: The bird I turned.
Speaker 2: We had to mine. Did anyone tell us what sort of.
Speaker 3: Bird that eat? Probably? Cody and I turned to each other, and we did, without even speaking. We knew it was. And for the next five days, every time we had breakfast and lunch and dinner in Fiji on our resorts and.
Speaker 4: Dinner. They didn't even go to bird bee, bird bee.
Speaker 3: Rid of these birds rest? And why are they in Fiji? When did they go to Fiji?
Speaker 4: Well? Why is the.
Speaker 3: Same bird in moon ponds? The same burden?
Speaker 2: They're an invasive specie, bloody, loud yellow beak.
Speaker 3: It was worse than hearing an Australian backpacker. That's how annoying this bird was.
Speaker 2: How much did you pay for that bowl of carver?
Speaker 3: Hey, Kate, guess what that is?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 3: No, but not only for this EPP for twenty twenty four. Yay, Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, Chris. We're so tired, but.
Speaker 2: We're back tired, but we're barks and we're back next year.
Speaker 3: So refreshed, refresh, Merry Christmas and a happy come on.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what was that song?
Speaker 3: What's that song called? Isn't it that song the Beatles or something?
Speaker 1: Oh Christmas song? Did they yoko?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, that's a different song.
Speaker 2: The buck Up podcast is hosted by me Kate Langbrook and him Nate Valvo.
Speaker 1: It's produced by.
Speaker 2: The brilliant Sasha French audio and sound by the magnificent Jack.
Speaker 1: Lawrence you might call him Jack.
Speaker 2: And Dom Evans are We're lucky.