Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Eh, sweety pies. We don't want to end your week with anything but the best, So today Frumi is dishing all the goss and tea on the people and the professions to avoid if you want a successful and harmonious relationship. Who knows where she got this information, but I'm happy to hear it, happy to apply it. And also something about missing teaspoons and offices. What's the deal? Where did they go? Is there a teaspoon thief? Do you know one? Are you one? I don't know? Have a lovely weekend, though, here's the potty. You're listening to Flex and Frooms on Kita Now. I am no stranger to using the phrase eat Pray Love. I mean, I Eat Pray Love era this week, and I'm doing Eat Pray Love. And it had occurred to me in a moment of clarity that I have I have neither read the book or watched the movie. I don't even know what it's about, and I don't even really know what I'm saying when I say that, And I don't even really know what I'm communicating and what people are perceiving me to mean when I say I'm going to do eprey love.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you what I think of?
Speaker 1: Yes, being like lavish and laying down with a grape maney mouth, That's what.
Speaker 2: I see, right, I mean, I kind of thought she's like taking it easy, not stressing out broadly speaking, but I thought I would do some research. So Eat, Pray Love is built on the notion of a woman trying to heal herself from a severe emotional and spiritual crisis. It's a memoir by this woman called Elizabeth Gilbert, who, off the back of a divorce, leaves everything behind and goes traveling for a year, and the movie that gets made documents her quest to heal, find peace, and restore balance in her life as she travels through Rome, India and Bali, and her ventures bring forth all of these really painful lessons and self discoveries and resonating truths and so in the book, she talks about what she learned on her path to finding herself, and she also talks about the peace that she encountered on this path and how they responded to her solution of running away as a form of healing, and how you know they kind of humbled her in the process and what she ended up learning. And so there are a few quotes that I want to read out because while I didn't read the book, I thought, let me get a few nuggets near to see if it's gonna do a little bit of something for us. And so Liz herself says, if you're brave enough to leave behind everything familiar and comfany, which can be anything from your house to bitter old resentment, and set out on a truth seeking journey, either externally or internally. And if you're truly willing to regard everything that happens to you on that journey as a clue, and if you accept everyone you meet as a teacher, and if you are prepared most of all, to forgive some very difficult realities about yourself, then the truth will not be withheld from you. So that is the kind of vibe. It's this real soul searching, but not in the superficial way that I think most of us have been using it. Right, just like a casual I'm a switch on for the weekend, go back to the same like frustrating dynamics that has caused me to feel like I need to switch off for the weekend. And she has this excerpt from this guy called Richard that she met in Texas who she told about her journey of eat, pray, love and what she was doing, and he said this to her, you have to learn to select your thoughts the way you select your clothes every day. That's a power you can cultivate. You want to come here and control your life, so bad work on your mind. That's the only thing you should control. If you can't master your thoughts, you're in trouble. Stop trying surrender. And I guess my interpretation of that is like, you can't control the uncontrollable, and you can't control other people's actions, but you can dictate what you choose to process, and you can process your thoughts. And I think that a lot of us when we want to do this escapism thing, like go somewhere else, it kind of reminds me of that cliche wherever you go there you are, like you don't realize that you're carrying those perceptions with you and those burdens, and you're carrying the memories with you, and you're carrying the learnings with you. And if you're not careful of recognizing that that is the reality of the situation. You'll overhaul everything to disappear and end up right back where you were emotionally and mentally speaking.
Speaker 3: An unfortunate truth.
Speaker 2: WHOA so many of those popping up on the show these days. But look, timing is everything because it's it's It made me think what other words or phrases are we using that are so contradictory to what they truly mean?
Speaker 1: So larv, Yeah, what is that? What will be will be? I'm not sure such is life. I still don't know what Naquille was on about when he said such.
Speaker 3: Is life, Such as life, that's how it goes? Is that the vibe? I'm assuming such is life? Damn.
Speaker 1: We have had the unique pleasure of working at quite a few different corporate workspaces, I would say, over our time of being in the workforce ten years clocking on ten years. As we all know, I love to share that my first job was at a car yard Nebo higher, Nebo higher obviously, and I was helping make the coffees, amongst other things. I did have quite a wide, far reaching role, oh, one of them being a personality higher bringing morale and a youthful.
Speaker 2: Basically the operational manager logistics in general vibe.
Speaker 1: I used to think I was so good because I would like, be really casual and fun with the other CEOs.
Speaker 3: It would come in. I'm like, I was just entitled. Yeah, that's okay.
Speaker 1: But now I know something that I noticed in my time as a corporate adjacent girly is that every single kitchen kitchenette has no cutlery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, were are all the baby spoons?
Speaker 2: That is a good question considering I don't think people are taking office cutlery home.
Speaker 1: See, I have been guilty of it tom time Again tomorrow I bring in a beautiful lazagne hands.
Speaker 3: Have you taken office cutlery? Have you?
Speaker 1: Jo?
Speaker 3: What do you mean you taking office culoring home?
Speaker 2: I just to leave my cutlery here because it's too grossed to packbacker into the handbag.
Speaker 3: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Pop it all into the tupperware that I've brought every time I bring Mickey a little risky two eats lunch. Sometimes I accidentally take one home.
Speaker 3: They're awful. I'll bring it back when I remember.
Speaker 2: But I'm like that, okay, fine, that makes sense. For maybe if a fork goes missing, a big spoon but where are the teaspoons going?
Speaker 1: Well, one TikTok is here to tell you.
Speaker 4: In the institute's eight tea rooms, and they made a weekly count of the spoons over the course of two months, and then a fortnightly count over the ensuing three months. After the five months the staff were told about the surreptitious study, they were asked to return or anonymously report any marked spoons that had made it to their desk, drawers or homes, and then they were asked to fill out a questionnaire. In all, fifty six of seventy or eighty percent of the teaspoons disappeared.
Speaker 2: I can imagine, because we do know that office cutlery just feels gross. Most office utensils feel really gross. However, the logic of keeping a little teaspoin for yourself and just using that same one bringing it back to your desk using that same one that feels fine, is that not allowed?
Speaker 1: I think that's probably a bit selfish.
Speaker 2: Then if there should be one for everyone, and I'm sure it's in the.
Speaker 1: Budget, let's go back to the budget's boys. Anyway, I am outing myself. I have found myself with a random piece of cutlery from this very building. HR already has many reasons to dislike me, and yet here I am on record fearless, a fearless, a fearless woman.
Speaker 2: A warrior.
Speaker 3: I wasn't gonna do it. I wait for it.
Speaker 2: But I think I can confidently say that we all really suck at conflict resolution. But is there something to learn from people who literally get paid to de escalate, People who literally have money coming in their account every week because during the work week they had to pick up a call from a disgruntled person, solve their problem and make them feel comfortable and heard in the process. Here is a video from a TikToker called Hay Slim four nine to eight.
Speaker 5: You're yelling again, okay, So remember when you yell, I can't assist you to my best ability because you're yelling, so I can't hear you clearly or understand you clearly. Okay, okay, So you yelling and getting worked up does not change the policies and procedures.
Speaker 2: This reminds me so clearly of a discussion for me and I were having last week on air, and we were talking about how some advice that people give you about conflict resolution is to kind of temper your emotions and to meet somebody's anger or emotional explosion with a sense of calm. And we said that we could imagine in a professional scenario that would work really well, but in personal scenarios that it could feel like you were in fantializing the person, because really, what it does feel like there's a gentle parenting technique where you kind of have to diffuse the emotional outbursts before you can even start picking away at the problem. But the issue is when the problem is the reason why you're having the emotional outbursts, it almost seems like you start and stop at the outbursts and you can't fix the thing. And it reminds me of what I've been noticing a lot online, especially these days, but a lot of the way that we interact with each other, a lot of things that we don't like about the world are symptoms of bigger problems, and so we create these micro cures for these symptoms that don't match up, or they soothe us for a short amount of time. So let's say I have a blaring headache because I blast music all day and I sleep with the lights on, and I don't drink water and so I feel like, Oh, I've got to move house. Not the real shit, be like, Oh I don't like my environment, I can't sleep here. You know, the vibes are off. I'm not taking the time to do a little bit of a self assessment and say, is there anything else here that could be contributing to this issue? But no, in my head, I know it's the house. And so if I meet anyone on that journey of moving who gets in the way of me finding that house, like a real estate agent is frustrating me, and so I take out my anger on them. Or I can't get my bond returned quickly enough, so I'm frustrated at that. Or I couldn't get the delivery organized quick enough, so I'm frustrated at that, Or because I'm creating solutions for a problem that wouldn't exist if I thought about the problem a little bit more. The point is, as it remains, I feel like in that instance as well, like if you're calling a call center and that person is the only barrier between you and a solution and you demean them, it means you don't really have a good understanding of what your best case scenario is, because if you really wanted a solution, you would work with this person to help you. But I think in a lot of times we just want to be heard. We just want to get seen, frustrated, acknowledged and be seen and heard. And what have we been talking about on Flexi's big questions? What's the appropriate way to express anger?
Speaker 3: We don't know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't know.
Speaker 3: Will you help us get to an answer?
Speaker 2: Flex I'm learning in my own time. So if I figure out the answer, I'm in a practice a bit and I might gatekeeper. I mean, just for a little back, a little bit throwback. You're listening to Flex and Rooms on Kita.
Speaker 1: Here on the show, we are always questing for knowledge. We are thirsty to learn more and to enjoy life.
Speaker 3: We came across a TikTok.
Speaker 1: It's by Boston family lawyer, and they have gone in to tell the loyal listeners of such a TikTok the kind of people to avoid based on their profession, as is always when we're making broad, sweeping statements and encouraging stereotypes.
Speaker 2: Take but it doesn't apply, Let it fly, doesn't apply, Let it fly.
Speaker 1: I find that difficult sometimes when I get my back up and get a bit offended, but it's a great way to practice dealing with things that you don't agree with when people are wrong. So allegedly, the Boston family lawyer says these are the professions to avoid. I'm assuming they're because this Boston family lawyer has dealt with a lot of divorces. And that's just me surmising Jack and I would have been a good lawyer.
Speaker 3: What kind of barrister? Maybe be theatrics?
Speaker 2: I think you have a different energy more do you have to suppress a lot of parts of your personality and like bring up other parts like the Karen would work well in that environment.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: But playful through me? Could you really hang? I think I think judges like it. They get a little have a bit of fun with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they like that kind of chutzpa.
Speaker 2: Holtzpa we learned.
Speaker 3: Pardon me?
Speaker 1: Okay, these are the professions to avoid.
Speaker 3: Number one plumber.
Speaker 2: I would say you would have gone from four down. Okay, sorry, no, it's too late. So if it's in order of like most avoids, leaf avoid a good.
Speaker 1: Listen, and no hate to plumbers. As we know, I have a cousin who's a we do know. If you guys need a plumber in Melbourne, hit me up, I'll share the dates.
Speaker 3: Great, great guy.
Speaker 1: That's because they have a regular hours, easy access to other people, and freedom.
Speaker 3: We've all seen the corn videos. The plumber shows up at the house, the wife is alone. You do the math.
Speaker 1: Number two electricians, I'm assuming that's for the same reason as plumbers. I also think being electrician is quite a dangerous job. That's why they get paid a lot of money. Shout out to the all the electricians. Okay. Number three pilots, which I see March Simpson's father was a steward. Number four doctors.
Speaker 3: I mean there's a there's a duty.
Speaker 1: Of care that a doctor must so if we're if we're talking meeting people on.
Speaker 3: The job, that's actually against Melbourne more.
Speaker 2: So than just the irregular hours, easy access to other people, and freedom. Like all of these jobs listed plumber, electrician, pilots, and lawyers, these are all high stress, high adrenaline, high quarters sold jobs. And sure when you're making decisions at a level that's so critical every day, you would kind of drop the ball and get decision fatigue. For the basic stuff. I just saved someone's life cut me some slack.
Speaker 3: Cut me some slack.
Speaker 1: Anyway, if you're a plumber, an electrician, a pilot, or a doctor, power to you. We salute you, thank you for your service, and it's a pleasure to have you. It's time for our favorite time of the week. It's the end of the la week. It's Friday, and it's time for.
Speaker 3: Mickey's music Quiz. Hello, Hi, hell, are you hits me? It's m I K K I. Is that what your friends call you?
Speaker 6: You guys are actually the only people that call me Mickey?
Speaker 5: Whoa?
Speaker 6: But it has infiltrated the friendship group.
Speaker 3: What do you say about us in new Chat? You got a favorite? Its me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, guys, and I'd be surprised if it wasn't for your brain. Siamese twiny things.
Speaker 6: I love you in different ways, different babe, I love youth in different ways.
Speaker 3: All right, let's play the queen.
Speaker 6: That's the point.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: Today's quiz it's musicians who are also actors.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, I got to be out of shack this week, guys, Madonna?
Speaker 3: All right, let's go. Who's to say? Oh my god, I'm scared sexy back. Justin's in like that? Was quick, babe, he's on heaps? He did that?
Speaker 1: Mean?
Speaker 2: Like cens movie with Madonna?
Speaker 3: What? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you want me to pull up the discory random jt.
Speaker 6: Okay number two?
Speaker 1: That on?
Speaker 3: This one's hard? Wait again?
Speaker 2: Oh this is Cake by the Ocean?
Speaker 6: What bad liar Bicelena Gomez?
Speaker 3: That wasn't coming.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that wasn't clue?
Speaker 1: Oh, Rihanna, Yes, it's like that real anthemic one?
Speaker 3: Is that day? Who's that with? Is that with?
Speaker 2: Is that with Mickey?
Speaker 3: No? Is that Paul McCartney?
Speaker 6: No, but I did that for five seconds.
Speaker 2: It's just different. Now this is not in my.
Speaker 1: You're really hard today, Please play it again?
Speaker 3: I thought this.
Speaker 6: It sounds like I really thought.
Speaker 3: You'd know genre.
Speaker 2: Is that too many noises?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: Sorry, No, it's Kimmy K turned me up?
Speaker 3: Who have you ever turned me up?
Speaker 1: Like Kimmy K a little bit?
Speaker 3: I didn't know kim Kardashen had a singing moment.
Speaker 6: Because I can't believe you guys didn't know about that was incredible?
Speaker 3: Have you seen that?
Speaker 2: No? But I'm also really against I told you how DJing put me off a lot of music.
Speaker 3: It's too much.
Speaker 6: I think anyone was teaching, and they should they should. Okay, it's one all this time might be hard.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's a bit of an old school moment, Nirvana, you really stopped us this.
Speaker 6: Wow, that was David Bowie heroes.
Speaker 1: Come on, do we.
Speaker 2: Not understanding Mickey? Get out of here?
Speaker 3: Don't there's too creative one.
Speaker 2: This.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you think this is.
Speaker 2: Is great Friday trying to pull a fast on? Do you want to embarrass that humiliation ritual?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Okay, actors, actors can cut ash David, this is common Beyonce, could we do a common beyond?
Speaker 3: I was like, We've had enough, Beyonce.
Speaker 6: I was like, I was like, I've had enough photo every week?
Speaker 3: You know what about a common j Lo?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I thought that was true.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm real scared? Is okay?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 3: Okay anymore? No, that was it?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, Mickey, I'll play you the one and only Davy Bowie songs.
Speaker 3: Berwie, It's Friday, give me a break Friday. You guys ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the exact example you were talking about at the previous break FLEXI about how if you listen to too much of like one thing, it can change your mood. This to me is the song that gives me sad vibes, quirky sad vibes and a bit scared.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's giving, it's giving me scary.
Speaker 2: It's very it's quirky, scary for sure, and even a little bit sad.
Speaker 3: It's been a pleasure to have you, guys.
Speaker 2: And this is why you're not the music director.
Speaker 1: Hey SERI play Peggy Goo Na na Nah.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do it on.
Speaker 1: It goes like Nanana edit by Peggy Gown now playing on guys.
Speaker 3: Nice all right, It's been a pleasure to have you, guys. It's Flexing Froomes.
Speaker 4: Flex and Frooms Daily Podcast.
Speaker 6: For more, tune in de Cater on da B or stream it on iHeartRadio.