Speaker 1: Hello, my name's Santasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud yr the Order Kerney Whoalbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through as this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it. She's on the Money, She's on the Money. Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast for millennials who want financial freedom. Welcome back to another one of our money diaries where we get to talk to one of our incredible She's on the Money community members all about their money story. Let's jump straight into it, because this week I got a message and it went like this, Hi, She's on the Money. Growing up in the UK, my dad got injured and couldn't work, so my mom had to work two jobs to support us. Money was the cause of most arguments. Now I own a house that has an Airbnb and I'm saving for another investment property plus a honeymoon. The past year has been a roller coaster. We got engaged and then got married three months later, found huge structural issues with our home, and I got made redundant twice. Money Diarist, Welcome to the show. When you said it's been a roller coaster, you were not lying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a big year to eighteen months.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Yes, let's dive straight in. The First question I have been asking recently is about your money grade. So I want to know what grade would you give your money habits on a scale of A through to F.
Speaker 4: I'd say I'm a B A B all right, I.
Speaker 2: Want to know now though you said you grew up in the UK and your dad got injured and you couldn't work and your mom had two jobs. Can you tell us a little bit more about your money story.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I love money. I love the freedom and the independence that it can bring. But I grew up with a scarcity mindset and it's definitely still present and it's something that I'm trying to work through and trying to focus on having more of an abundance mindset. I am definitely of the belief that money can always be replaced and it can be earned, but I also get very attached to my money and how I spend it.
Speaker 2: That's very relatable, that's very similar to me. What was it like growing up with a mum who had to work two jobs to port your family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was tough.
Speaker 3: My dad was injured so he couldn't work and was studying but spent a lot of time just you know, unable to move in bed. So she had to look after us too, kids and him, and work jobs that worked around being able to do the school runs and all of that sort of stuff, and so it was really tough. We didn't have much money, and I was definitely I don't feel like I missed out on things, but I was aware that, you know, the stuff that I had wasn't as good as the stuff that the kids in school had. I remember, you know, being embarrassed about the brands of foods that I had in my lunch box, and you know, people not wanting to swap the packet of crisps or chips with me because you know, they were the brand that was considered less quality.
Speaker 2: Isn't it wild that even kids understand that. And nowadays, I don't know about your money, darist, but I'm like, which is the cheapest we're just getting that doesn't actually matter to me what it is. I'm like, if they're plane chips, we're just getting the plane chips. Like I could not care less. But I totally resonate with that because I remember I used to get like me and Grade two would get so frustrated if Mum didn't buy the Smith's brand of chips and she went and bought like the home brand brand of chips. She'd be like, Victoria, they're the same, and I'd be like, you don't understand this. Sad a symbol in my lunch box. It's wild, isn't it, because it's it's such a smart money saving hack, Like why wouldn't we buy that one? But it's yeah, it's one of those things that I feel like it does change the narrative around the way that you grow up. What did that look like as you got older?
Speaker 3: Things definitely changed as I got older. So by the time I was in my teens, my dad had managed to get a degree and you know, have a business and was teaching, and yeah, things changed pretty dramatically. And now he's doing so well, but he still has lots of you know, issues with its injury and has to spend a lot of time resting. But yeah, things have dramatically changed for them, but he still has the you know, the scarcity mindset and is very I guess what we would call tight with his money. That's how we would describe it where I'm from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think that that is something that was ingrained in their upbringing as well? Or do you think that that was a product of your dad's injury.
Speaker 3: So back through my dad's history, his dad was a gambler and drank a lot, and so he didn't like he would often spend all of his week's earnings before the family had chance to you know, buy food and do all that kind of stuff. So I think it's definitely stemmed from not having money growing up.
Speaker 2: Where do you think your mindset is coming from then, because I don't know. You sound like a very very good She's on the money List night in that you're saying all of the right things, right, You're like, it's been a rollercoaster, but I'm doing this, I'm doing that. I'm really trying to work on changing my mindset from a scarcity mindset to an abundance mindset. And I feel like our parents and often when I talk to money diarists, their parents aren't often on that train. Where do you think this want for a different money lifestyle has come from? Because obviously finances can be systemic, like they can just be handed down money stories.
Speaker 3: I think there's three parts to it. I think the first part is my mum's always told us to well. First of all, it was to go to UNI and get a good job and don't sort of get the dead end jobs that she had to do. Although I went to UNI and dropped out after a few months, that didn't really for me for me, And then I guess the second part of that is I've always been fiercely independent. I've always wanted to earn my own money and work from a young age, didn't really want help from anybody. And then the third part is when I first moved to Australia, I was a backpacker and I got handed an amazing opportunity to manage a business and then actually just to have the business.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's strange.
Speaker 3: It was a husband and wife business and she didn't want to be part of the business anymore. So I was going to become the manager and she started teaching me, and then they went through an awful time and were having a divorce, and.
Speaker 4: So she just said, look, just take it.
Speaker 3: You and him have it fifty to fifty and I just want him to be able to, you know, continue to earn money and be around for his kids. And that opportunity was really scary. And I remember talking to my older brother and he said, we can do anything we put out mind to and think of like what this opportunity could be. And so that's yeah, I think those are the few things that have really shaped my mindset before I've then found she's on the money. I worked in the property industry and investment and so there's been some things more recently that have helped to keep me on that track, but I think those are the fundamental where there's been big shifts.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what an opportunity comes to Australia as a backpacker gets offered an entire business, Just take it, just take it. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: I definitely got thrown in the deep end and had to like sink or swim kind of situation. It was exciting but very scary, and she was still there, like she still was there for anything really big and hard and confusing, and was sort of a mentor to me in those situations. But knowing what she was going through with the divorce, I really didn't want to be in touch or need her help unless it was really really lisiary.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's fair. Are you still involved in that business?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: I ran the business for about ten years and then it was an entertainment business, so COVID had a big impact on the business.
Speaker 2: Would have wow.
Speaker 4: But I was definitely.
Speaker 3: Ready for a change for a long time before that, and COVID gave me the opportunity to be able to do that.
Speaker 4: For a number of reasons.
Speaker 3: So first of all, we had to plan so far in advance, so we planned like a year in advance of events, so there was never really a good time to step away. But obviously COVID meant lots of things were canceled, and then we had the job keeper payments, so I was able to earn the job keeper payments that then also bring someone else on to take on the manager role and pay them and teach them and eventually sell the business to my business partner, so he owns it completely now and hand it off to them.
Speaker 2: How cool. I love this. I'm so excited about this diary and I haven't even asked the official second question. This is I'm so invested. I want to know now though obviously COVID changed things and you're now in a different area. What do you now do for work? How much money are you earning?
Speaker 3: So I'm now an operations support manager for a not for profit, so I earn ninety thousand dollars plus super. But then as working for a not for profit, I get to have a portion of my income tax free. Yeah, i'd salary sacrifice part of my income, which is great.
Speaker 2: So how does that work? Like, how have you structured that? Because I think a lot of people go great, I can salary sacrifice, but then they might not set it up in the best possible way. How have you structured yours?
Speaker 3: So it works out to be about six hundred and eleven dollars a fortnight, and I put that towards my mortgage, but essentially it just gets paid into my main bank account.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's allocated to mortgage.
Speaker 3: So you're allowed fifteen nine hundred dollars a year for something like that, and then you can also do I think it's twenty six hundred and fifty dollars onto like a meals and entertainment card which works out aboute hundred dollars a fortnight. And so then I use that for, you know, whenever we're eating out.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, how good. Yes, that's a bit of a money win and something that I feel like would work out really well with the meals and entertainment card. I am very aware that you're not allowed to use it for things like groceries. Actually has to be meals and entertainment out. Do you find that, you know, what is it like about fifty dollars a week ish? Are you actually spending that or do you think it actually forces you to go out and actually have date nights and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So it's called a fringe benefit's TAXI that's just begun this month April, so previous to that, because I was only in the job for about four months of the last fringe benefits tax you, yep, I claimed that whole amount over that four months.
Speaker 2: Oh money.
Speaker 3: It was getting about three hundred dollars a fortnight towards food towards you know, the meals, and about seventeen hundred dollars I think a fortnight towards my mortgage. It was great. Last year was great. I was worried about the change and what it would mean.
Speaker 2: Going back to normal.
Speaker 3: Ass Yes, and I think it's about two hundred dollars a week less off now.
Speaker 4: But it's still great.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we were getting about three hundred dollars a week and we actually were able to save that up and pay for the catering or part of the catering for our wedding.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, so smart. So you are using it intelligently. I love to see this, I am.
Speaker 3: But then the wedding finished and there was quite a lot of money building up, so we had some really fancy date nights, which oh cute, not mad about. We like to have a good date night.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that as well. When it counter planning for your wedding, obviously that's a good money saving hack and tip. What did your wedding end up costing? Because in your letter into us you said we got engaged and we got married three months later. That's not a lot of planning time. I planned my wedding in twelve months, and I thought that wasn't enough time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we didn't realize I think when we took on that. I think we spent the first month just trying to figure out what we wanted to do, when we wanted to get married, where we wanted to get married, with both from the UK, so our family is largely based there.
Speaker 4: And then my.
Speaker 3: Husband's parents were visiting and his auntie and uncle were visiting in January February, and we didn't want to make them come out again, and we just thought, let's just do it while they're here.
Speaker 4: So my parents flew out as well.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, how lucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we kept it really small. We had thirty four guests there, which definitely helped keep the cost down. So we lived in Queensland and about eighteen months ago we relocated to say South Australia. So we went back to Queensland to get married where most of our friends still are and my brother lives there. And so the wedding cost about eighteen thousand dollars, but that doesn't include any of the travel costs.
Speaker 2: Do you know what? That is such a reasonable price for a wedding these days.
Speaker 3: I wanted to do it for ten thousand dollars, and I realized very quickly that that wasn't possible. But we had, you know, all the main things that we really wanted, and yeah, it went really well.
Speaker 2: What blew out the most? What took it from your expectation of hoping it would be ten thousand dollars to being eighteen. What was the biggest surprise?
Speaker 3: It was the venue. So we were going to just get married on the beach and then go to a restaurant and hire out the restaurant and have dinner and drinks there. But we while reassoching, we came across a venue that was right on the beach that you could have the wedding there and then just walk inside.
Speaker 2: And oh, of perfect.
Speaker 4: It was a lot more.
Speaker 3: Expensive, but I just fell in love like the right thing to do, So that's what we went with love.
Speaker 2: I'll have to ask for some photos later. I am so wedding obsessed, it's not funny. So the wedding's over. You've obviously got some structural issues with your home at the moment, which I'm going to ask about in a minute, But I want to know what is currently your big money goal. What are you working towards We.
Speaker 3: Have an airbnb at the house that we live in now, so it's a separate dwelling and we would like to have another airbnb, so that's been the goal for a while, and we want to buy one in Queensland because we eventually will move back there. So we're trying to figure out how much the work and the house is going to cost to you know, how much we've got available, and how long it's going to take.
Speaker 4: Us to be able to do that.
Speaker 3: But the second one is that I am starting a business.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, of course you are. Yes, of course you are lucky. You didn't have enough on.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I tried to start a business, said the mid last year, and got made redundant and so decided to find another job and you know, get myself on my feet, and then we got engaged in marriage and all that stuff happened. So I'm back to having time to think about the business now. The business just registered about an hour ago. Email Sistered.
Speaker 2: Isn't that the best feeling ever? It's like the ball has started rolling, my friend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's awesome. So we're just working on finalizing the website and all of that. Sort of stuff. So I guess the plan is to eventually replace my income with my new business, or at least be able to work on that three days a week and be able to you know, continue with my current employer a couple of days a week. Two.
Speaker 2: How exciting. So obviously starting business is a really big undertaking. What are your main motivations for this? You said, you know, replacing your income?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Like more flexibility? Is it so you can travel? Is so you can start a family? Like what does that look like for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's all of the above. Before COVID, we wanted to go and live in Asia for a few months and that then obviously COVID prevented that. But we had the perfect setup. So my partner has a business as well, and I was working, you know, I had my entertainment business, so we could have just done that overseas.
Speaker 2: How cool you guys sound so fun?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we we're definitely adventurers. I think I'd love to do that, Like I still have that part of me hasn't been fulfilled. We did build a camper van and travel Australia for a little bit. As like the we can't go to Asia, so let's do this instead. But it was a complete disaster. Why, oh, just it was so hard building a camper van. Like my husband's amazing, but he doesn't have any you know, background or skills in that area.
Speaker 4: He just youtubes and figures.
Speaker 2: Stuff out exactly how I would do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I did say, you know, from the beginning that it would be something he would do when I'll just watch and I'll you know, be the cheerleader. But our expectations are very different. So he was found it really difficult that I wasn't as invested or like, had as much energy or for the build as he did in the beginning I did. And then it took way longer than I wanted it to, so it became really really hard.
Speaker 4: And then we set off.
Speaker 3: Much later than expected, so it was much hotter than expected. And the dog hated it.
Speaker 2: Oh no, why, it.
Speaker 3: Just wasn't enough room in there for him to maneuver, so he kept hitting himself, and he just didn't want to be inside, so just wanted to be outside all the time, and it was too hot for him to be outside. So it was just it just wasn't what we envisioned it to be, so it didn't satisfy that itch of you know, being away from home and you know, having citing new things every day. That's still something that I want to do. So I guess this is starting this business is one way to get that. But also we are wanting to start a family. And I thought, well, I'll just wait until you know, I'm on maternity leave to start this business. But I think I just had to reframe it in my mind that maybe I don't need to have the maternity leave pay from my work.
Speaker 4: Maybe I do.
Speaker 3: You can create and start it, maybe I can build it. Maybe I can do it slowly. You know, there's there's there's lots of options. And my husband's happy to step in and help manage the business, you know, if I am.
Speaker 4: On maternity leave.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we just thought we'll give it, give it a try, and see what happened.
Speaker 2: Oh how cool? I love this. You are so much more adventurous than I will ever be, and I'm so envious, Like it just sounds so cool to go, oh, yeah, we're going to go live in Asia. I'm like, I could not convince my husband even if I tried, Even if I tried, like that is so awesome. Though I'm obsessed with it all Right, I've got a lot of questions. I want to talk more about your campervan, how much that cost, what that journey looked like. And I also want to discuss investments and debts and best and worse money habits, so guys do not go anywhere money diarist. Let's dive straight back into this with a nonstructured question. You mentioned before you built a camper van. Right, obviously that was not the best decision you've ever ever made in your life, as it turns out. But I feel like in the age of TikTok and Instagram and after covid, I have romanticized fan living so much like you've just broken it for me. I'm really sorry. Like in my head I was like, I can grab the dog, maybe the cats could come. We can have a van, we can travel around Australia. We can be no bads. It's going to be amazing. Tell me about how much this actually cost to do, because I know it's still cost effective, but I don't think it's as cheap as people think it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we bought the van I think for about twenty thousand dollars and we spent probably about fifteen to eighteen thousand dollars actually.
Speaker 4: Fitting it out.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we were still working on it even when we were on the road because our rental place had like come to an end and we had to move out and we were very close, so we were still adding shelves and you know, trying to have all these little nooks and crannies where we can actually store the things that we need. So yeah, we were still messing around with it when we set off. But yeah, the plan was we tried to make it stealthy so that we could, you know, be wherever we wanted to be and not have to pay to stay somewhere every night.
Speaker 2: Yes, smart, smart, I've seen on TikTok. I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm on this.
Speaker 3: But we got very nervous, so we were like, we don't want to just park outside somebody's house and sleep here, and this is strange and we can't find, you know, a really flat area and we'd get it really frustrated with it, so we just ended up staying in campsites. Yeah, like ninety nine percent of the time, and we were heading north Queensland, so I think we left maybe in October or November. So by the time we got to like the early beach kind of area, it was way too hot on humid to stay in a van.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, it would be so stinking hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the dog just really wasn't happy. He just wanted to be outside all the time, but there was no shade for him. He wouldn't go in the tenth that we bought. You know. We tried all these different things to make it more comfortable for him, but he wasn't happy. So we ended up staying in cabins at campsites that were pet friendly. So they were like the really old, daggy, horrible places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they also would have been expensive because the second do you say pet friendly, you put like an extra zero on things. It's like the wedding tax, but it's the pit tax.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: I was so excited about the money wins that I would get from, you know, not having to pay rents and how much can we save and all of this stuff, and then yeah, it didn't quite work out like that.
Speaker 2: And then you had your van and you were paying for cabins. It would have been a money loss, But did you have fun at least some of the time.
Speaker 3: Oh, we did have some fun. We did have some fun. But yeah, it's very hard to travel with pets, I think, because you can't really leave them, so you constantly have to have somebody with them, so it really limits what you can do. Yeah, but I don't regret it. I think we learned a lot and we went through a really hard time that we got through it and we got married after all that.
Speaker 4: It was lots of arguments.
Speaker 2: If you can live in a van with somebody with a dog who doesn't even want to be there, and still want to marry the person after like, to me, that's the right person. You're marrying the right person. Yes, oh, how good?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: I want to know, let's change tune of this conversation because I feel like maybe the van wasn't the best investment. Actually, did you sell it? Have you still got it?
Speaker 3: So we sold it and it was the best investment.
Speaker 2: Actually, I was wondering.
Speaker 3: We took out I think we had credit cards to be able to pay for it, so we managed to pay them all off. So we had an asset that was worth forty thousand dollars. So we sold it for about forty or forty two thousand dollars something like that. By the time we'd taken all the costs into consideration, we didn't really make anything and we spent a lot of our time building it. But yeah, we didn't lose anything. But so then that gave us a good chunk of money. Plus I'd sold my house around the same time, and it helped us to be able to buy the house we now live in.
Speaker 2: Oh hell cool. Yeah, that's the next question I have for you. I wo don't know do you have any investments. Obviously you have your Airbnb one. I want to know more about that, But do you have any other investments apart from that?
Speaker 3: Yes, so I partly own a house back in the UK with my dad or with my parents. So, like I said, dad is now doing much better. His business is going really really well, and so he has bought the house that like our house backs onto so he can look out the window and see the house that he's bought.
Speaker 2: How cool is that? Yes, that is very cool.
Speaker 3: So I have a part ownership in that. It's about a fourth or a fifth of the house. So the money that I get from that, which isn't a lot about in pounds about one hundred pounds a month, but that money just sits in the account and builds up, and that's us spending money whenever we go back to the UK to thiss.
Speaker 2: Oh, how good. That's so smart because like the transfer fees would be quite pricey, and to be honest, you don't get a whole lot when transferring out of pounds and into aud at this point in time. It's not that sexy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's you know, it works really well for us.
Speaker 4: It means that we.
Speaker 3: Have to pay for our flights, but then when we're there, we pretty much have all of our spending money when we visit, which happens probably every two years.
Speaker 2: How good. Tell me about your airbnb. I feel like this is such a smart way to invest. It's a bit of a topical way to invest at the moment. But you said you have a separate dwelling on the property that you own and live in. How does that work?
Speaker 3: So we bought this property that had a converted two story garage, so it was already converted into a house. So it has a bedroom, a bathroom, a living area, a kitchen, a separate driveway with parking, so it has everything that you could need. It's actually really really nice. It's really cute and very bright, and we live in the Hills area, so there's lots of trees and greenery around, so it does really well. We have guests for the majority of the time, might be you know, four or five nights a month.
Speaker 2: That's really booked that much. Yeah, oh my gosh, that is not what I expected you to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: And we live in an area that it's nice to visit in winter, so even through winter we get like really good stays. We earn about four thousand dollars a month from it, sometimes four and a half, and then over like the Christmas period, it can be up to six or seven thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 2: Can I be pervy? What are your mortgage repayments?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Good question.
Speaker 3: So we have a split lawn, so we have a loan of We've got about six hundred thousand or one part of our lan that's fixed and that is I think seven hundred and twenty five dollars a week, and then we have a separate portion which was one hundred thousand, but we had to remortgage so we can fix the structural issues. So it's now nearly two hundred thousand, so we pay about two hundred dollars a week back on that, so it's about nine hundred around about nine hundred dollars I think that we pay.
Speaker 2: So, just doing some pretty basic maths, you're making more on your airbnb than you are paying your mortgage down. Did you think when you purchased the property that you'd purchase that that's exactly what would happen or was it a bit of a riscore? Was this a calculated risk?
Speaker 3: Now, we were quite confident I think that we would be able to cover our mortgage costs. So there's still expenses with that. That's not money that's going into our pocket. We still have to pay tax on that. Of course, we started cleaning it all ourselves, but with being made redundant and having to you know, work in an office and not be at home.
Speaker 4: We've got a cleaner.
Speaker 3: That comes and does all the cleans for us, and we put you know, we we buy breakfast supplies and put nice things in there so it feels really welcome in and hormly. So there's on top of that. But yeah, essentially we have friends who had done a similar thing. So they had bought a property near where we live and they had a very very tiny, like tiny airbnb and it was going quite well for them, and we looked at how well they were doing. They were maybe getting three or four nights booked a week, so we were confident that we could at least earn what our mortgage would have been, and it was a lot less when we first you know, when we first moved here with interest rates and before we'd remortgage.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to hear about this. It's just like so pervy to be like, well, how does that work out? Because I feel like so many times you go is therebnb worth it? Is it not? And I mean, you've got to be quite strategic about it. And it sounds like you've got a smart property. As you said before, you live in an area where it's nice to visit in the winter as well, and that would be quite important for consistent bookings. But oh my gosh, it makes me so ex you guys. It sounds like you're setting yourselves up for massive success, like you're starting a business. You've got your airbnb's stuff, like you've got a portion of the property in the UK. Like I'm just so excited for your financial future, especially because our conversation started with home brand packets of chips, like, yeah, how good. I want to know now, obviously you just told us a little bit about your two mortgages. So you've got the six hundred thousand dollar loan and about the two hundred thousand dollar loan as a split loan facility. Do you have any other debts?
Speaker 3: No other debts, but a few other investments.
Speaker 2: Oh, tell me more about those. Sorry, I just assumed that that's where we tapped out because it was true. Good.
Speaker 3: So I have a raised account, which I've had for a few years now, I think from curing it when I first started.
Speaker 4: She's on the money. Yay, yay.
Speaker 3: So we've got about three thousand, six hundred dollars in there, and a month ago I started a shaesy account.
Speaker 2: Fantastic stick decision.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've got about seven hundred dollars in there at the moment, And I started off putting put five hundred dollars in and then I was doing one hundred dollars a fortnight.
Speaker 4: But I'm feeling more confidence. I'm going to increase that.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, now you have to tell us because cha Z's is not like raise right. Like Raise is just you kind of go on the app, you pick your risk profile, and it's when bam, thank you, ma'am. It's all auto invested micro investing, right, But Chazy's you download the app and then you have to pick your investments. How did you pick your investments and what was your selection criteria when going into that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I tried not to worry too much about what I was choosing. I just wanted to get in and start learning, and so I felt that supermarkets and banks were really solid investments. So I chose a supermarket, a bank, a farming sort of company that I recognized to others that I can't think of now, but I looked at the five year history and ensured that they were increasing over that five year period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, epic, how good? I feel like I love knowing people's kind of like process because it can feel a little bit overwhelming. Do you feel like you got a little bit of analysis paralysis when you knew went to start picking or do you feel like no, I downloaded it at the time that I knew what I was picking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've wanted to do it for a long time, and I'd decided that weekend that I was going to spend time setting up investments, and I just went to a cafe and just sat and it was overwhelming because there was lots But I think that just listening to the show and reading the Chaisey's blog and that kind of stuff, it's taking me a really long time to feel confident to do it. But yeah, I think I knew bank and supermarket. That's what I wanted to do, so I just thought, right, I'll just find one.
Speaker 4: Of those that I feel comfortable with.
Speaker 3: And then saw a few more and thought, oh, yeah, I recognized that one.
Speaker 2: Oh how at that?
Speaker 4: I just chose that one and just got started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my gosh. That makes me so excited that you're like finally in and you're finally picking things. It makes my heart so full to know that I got to be a little little part of that journey. And you mentioned actually the Chersias blog like that is such a good resource. I feel like they don't promote it enough. I probably need to have a chat with them about that, because there's so many good things on that blog related to like stop picking and what's performing well and even on there, I don't know if you followed them on Instagram, but they've got their market updates, and I feel like they're just so easy to consume, Like I'm obsessed obviously Moving on though? Is that all our investments? Have we wrapped it all up?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Awesome?
Speaker 4: Oh actually, oh no, of course not.
Speaker 2: What else have we got a point?
Speaker 3: I took a risk and got some crypto.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how did that go?
Speaker 3: I can't even tell you how it went. Because somebody encouraged us to do it and said, you've got to get in. It's about to take off. You've really got to do it right now. And so my friend and I thought, oh, well, why not.
Speaker 4: We'll put a bit of money in.
Speaker 3: There's something that we don't mind losing. And I think the maximum we could do is three hundred and sixty ish dollars, and we've sort of both decided, okay, five hundred dollars we can.
Speaker 4: We feel okay with five hundred dollars, let's give it a try.
Speaker 3: But we managed to do three sixty and then immediately after that it just started plumbting. Oh no, And so then I haven't looked at that since, and that.
Speaker 4: Was probably two years ago.
Speaker 3: So I have no idea where it's at, whether it actually recovered or not.
Speaker 4: I need to check it. I keep meaning too.
Speaker 2: I would check it. I don't know if you're going to be a secret millionaire or not, but it's good to know where things are at. I feel like a lot of people did that. Actually, it's crazy how many people did that and then they don't even remember their logins. I'm like, oh my gosh, this gives me way too much anxiety.
Speaker 3: I know it'll be in my email somewhere, but I'm like, I don't even know where to.
Speaker 2: Where to start looking.
Speaker 4: It'll be there.
Speaker 3: I'll have the information, but I don't know it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my head, right, Yeah, that's yeah, that's very fair. All right, let's move back to the conversation about debt. Did you have any other debts apart from the eight hundred thousand dollars in loads?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 2: Now, of course you don't. I expected nothing less.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I want to know, though, what do you think is your best money habit? I feel like you might have a few of these, given how well you have done to set things up.
Speaker 3: I think at the moment, my best money habit has been avoiding buying new items where possible. So, yeah, since we've moved you. We have some amazing pre loved shops in this area, so people sell their clothes that they don't want anymore, and they're usually brand clothes that are in great condition. And so I can't remember the last time I bought something new. Well, sometimes I get things new from there because they still have tags on them, but you know, I'm buying somebody else's clothes, essentially money with yes, and also things like furniture. When we moved you, we got a lot of things off Marketplace and there's some amazing.
Speaker 4: Facebook groups where people give.
Speaker 3: Things away for free, and so yeah, I'm really enjoying the sort of community feel of I don't need this anymore, or I got extra of these and I don't necessarily need them, could anybody else use them? So I've got some really cool stuff from there and given away some cool stuff as well, which feels It feels so nice to give away something that somebody else can benefit from.
Speaker 2: It's very wholesome as well, like it must make you feel a lot more what would you say, like connected with your community.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's all local stuff, so it's all people within the few suburbs that you live in, and you'll you know, You'll have someone come to pick up something and they'll say, oh, you're just around the corner. I just live, you know, on the next street down there.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's really nice to meet, you know, meet the neighbors and feel like moving to a different state, you know, you sort of feel like, oh, no, I don't know anything, I don't know anybody. But then when you start doing that kind of stuff, it makes you feel, you know, a bit more at home.
Speaker 2: I like that. I think that's also a good tip if you have moved to a new location to kind of start embracing the community in that way. What a genius idea. A love Yeah, let's flip it, though less wholesome. What's your worst money habit?
Speaker 3: My friend, I have a tendency to want to earn money off anything possible.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad money habit, but.
Speaker 3: Like sacrificing my comfort for that too.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, when we've bought this house, we had separate a B and b, but we have a whole downstairs area that we don't tend to use.
Speaker 4: It just me and my husband.
Speaker 3: So we've got quite a big house for two of us, and so I really wanted to turn downstairs into an ab and b as well.
Speaker 2: You know what, it makes sense the story checks out.
Speaker 3: Or into I don't know, like a beauty salon or something that I can make money from.
Speaker 2: Were you going to run this beauty salon? Like where was this going?
Speaker 3: No, I don't have anything to do, Like it could be a beauty salon.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure who's going to run this, but it could definitely exist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, we've got all that space. What can I do with it? Or you know, before I got married or before I met my my husband, I was always renting houses and always had spare rooms and would ab and b them even then spare rooms.
Speaker 4: You know, I'd give.
Speaker 3: Up my room with the en suite and like move all my stuff out to be able to house somebody in there so they could have a you know, a better experience, and I could earn like twenty dollars more a night. That it just didn't really make sense, but yeah, I've definitely still look at those kinds of opportunities and have my husband go, I don't want anyone living downstairs. I don't want to share my house with anybody, so like, okay.
Speaker 2: All right, that's fine. How about if they're upstairs. I feel like that makes a little bit of sense. I feel like I have learned so much about you in the last forty minutes. I am very grateful for your time. But oh my gosh, going from your money story being that you grew up in the UK and your dad got injured and couldn't work, and you know, we talked all about it, I feel like your mum has probably taught you a lot about work ethic, which I can see coming out in your personality, which is beautiful. But holy moly, you have done so much. An eighteen thousand dollar wedding, You're running an airbnb, you're looking to get another one, you already own part of a poppy in the UK, you're investing, you have raised Like I just I'm so impressed the fact that you run a business and now you're not running a business and you're starting a new business like while working full time like this is just crazy to me to think that you think you're still a B. But I want to know do you think that your what would we call it, like your money grade of B is applicable? But I also want to know what's it take for someone like you to gedu an A.
Speaker 3: I definitely still agree that I'm a bee.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 3: There's still a lot that I want to achieve, and I think, I guess my biggest money goal is to not have to work, and so I'd love to have enough properties and investments to not have to work, and to choose to work because I, you know, because I want to contribute to society.
Speaker 4: Or because I love what I do.
Speaker 3: But it would take lots more investments and lots more properties, I think to get myself to that a. And yeah, to be able to have the freedom to go and live in Asia if I want to, or you know, just move countries or do whatever we want.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I feel like you are well on the way, my friend, Like you're doing baby step and you have definitely taken a lot of them and absolutely gone so far. I'm so excited to share this story with our community. Thank you so much, genuinely, like this has been a dream to record. But I also know that people are going to listen to this and be like wow and what next, Like it's just it's such a good story. So thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you. It's been a pleasure to be on the show.
Speaker 2: The advice shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice tailored towards your needs. Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of Money showper pty Ltd ABN three two one IS six four nine two seven SEVENS zero eight a f s L four five one two eight nine