Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to Outspoken.
Speaker 2: It's your dose of the hottest influencer and pop culture news twice a week. I'm Sophie Torber and coming up on today's show, Tammy Hembro and Matt Zakowski dramatically unfollow each other. Days out from their joint Hucks party, Steph Claire Smith has revealed she will no longer be sharing her son's face online and mia Plastic's very puzzling business move. But first, Sophie, there's been another twist in the Crumble cookie drama.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this story is getting interesting.
Speaker 2: As a quick refresher, last week there was a pop up event in North Bonda and there was a it was he a teenager, a young kid who looked like they were from a private school, not the stereotype, who held an event pretending to be the cookie brand.
Speaker 1: Allegedly, they were.
Speaker 2: Selling these cookies for seventeen dollars fifty of pop and from all accounts, they were quite stale. Because this schoolboy had flown to Hawaii, he'd bought seven hundred cookies.
Speaker 1: And he decided to sell them off. A lot of people are saying he's quite.
Speaker 2: Entrepreneurial, but it hasn't really been great for him because the backlash has been pretty intense. But who it has been good for is the real Crumbles. So they released a statement saying they will accelerate their plans to bring the brand to Australia following the controversy.
Speaker 1: Yeah so. In this official.
Speaker 2: Statement, the Crumble team said it has been amazed by the support of fans in Australia over recent weeks and as a result, they've been inspired to bring their cookies to Australia so us Ozzie's can actually have a true Crumble experience. I mean, if this isn't perfect pr last week we spoke about whether this was a good or bad thing for the company. Obviously it's been a positive because they've been able to see how many Australians are so desperate for these cookies. But also it's interesting that they preface that they want customers to have the true experience, because then again, all of these people who purchased the fake cookies for seventeen fifty and had a bad experience, they want to turn that experience around. I love the fact that so many TikTokers are creating their own version of the Crumble cookie so Michael Finch recently did his own recipe for it is definitely generated a lot of attention for this brand. Yeah, and Crumble have also released an official Australian Instagram account. So previously the pop up went under the name of Crumble Sydney. Crumble have taken Crumble Australia and they've released this reel and in the real it starts off by showing all of the news coverage that the pop up event got and then it says the real Crumble is coming soon. But my favorite part of it is that they have this graphic and in the graphic there's a little koala holding a Crumble.
Speaker 1: Cookie, which I just thought was so cute. Plot twist.
Speaker 2: This has been a stunt by the company all along, and they've paid this boy to go into weak. We spoke about one of the organizers before, and the Daily Mail did this huge expose where they named this Sydney schoolboy as being the boy behind this pop up and they even featured a photo of his mum outside her four million dollar BELvue Hills mansion. But suddenly three days later the photo of the mother was removed. The boy's name has been removed. They still reference him as a year ten student from a.
Speaker 1: Prestigious Sydney school.
Speaker 2: But I'm assuming that the family have called in the lawyers. But they're probably so pleased now because this statement from Crumble has taken the heat off this kid, because now it seems like he should be being praised for getting the cookie giant down under.
Speaker 1: How long will we love each other?
Speaker 3: For?
Speaker 1: Always and forever?
Speaker 2: It's been a big week for fitness influencer Tammy Hembro and her fiance Matt Sakowski. The couple created headlines for dramatically unfollowing each other on Instagram days out from their lavish joint Hucks party. I first was alerted to this when a listener in our Facebook group asked if Tammy's profile was down, and listeners began replying that they also couldn't see her account.
Speaker 1: Because originally, when I had.
Speaker 2: A look, I thought, oh, maybe she's blocked us, because we have been covering quite a lot about her relationship with Matt. But it appeared to be done for everyone, and it looked as though she had temporarily deactivated her account, because within an hour it was back up again, but she was following one less person and that was of course her fiance Matt. And interestingly, Matt was also not following Tammy, which got a lot of people talking.
Speaker 1: But that can also happen if you block someone.
Speaker 2: Oh, she had clearly blocked him, because if he blocked someone, it removes that person from all of your photo tags.
Speaker 1: Yes, suddenly his name was not appearing, so it.
Speaker 2: Looked like she blocked him, then deactivated her account, and then brought it back at It was interesting timing because Matt had been in Melbourne and he only just returned to the Gold Coast when all of this blocking went on. Yeah, and it was really odd because he jetted back into the Gold Coast with his sister Emma, and he was still posting on his Instagram story. So he was out at this marketplace which he would never normally post about, and it looked really wholesome. It was this cute little nighttime market and presumably his was there for the couple's joint Hucks party, which was supposed to be happening that weekend. And what is most interesting about this is that Matt's sister Emma also unfollowed Tammy, and I wondered whether this was a tactic to make it look like Tammy had done something wrong. Yeah, and it was all very odd because it's not as if Tammy's sisters unfollowed Matt, and they recently did that interview on Matt's podcast where they lay the boot in and said he was immature and all this kind of stuff. So I thought they'd be the first one follow Maybe they thought, oh, this is all going to blow over by the weekend.
Speaker 1: It's already awkward between us.
Speaker 2: I may be reading far too much into this, but in one of the Instagram stories that Matt posted at this market, he shared a picture of a stall the specifically sold Dashound merchandise, and he captured the photo what a cute dashy store. This just seems like a really odd thing to share about when you're having a fight with your fiance And instantly the Dashound rung a bell for me and I realized that his ex girlfriend Jen, and she's the one whose name he recently was getting removed from his ass she owns a Dashound.
Speaker 1: That's because Matt had a tattoo of her name. Yes is what it pointed.
Speaker 2: Yes, so his ex girlfriend owns a Dashound who Matt used to live with and was obsessed with so the dashhound is called Mucci and Matt was always posting about it on his TikTok before they broke up. Wait a sex, So do you think this fight could have been sparked by the tattoo removal because everyone was talking about it. He'd recently shared this collaboration with this particular numbing cream. She was obviously a hot topic at that time.
Speaker 1: Possibly.
Speaker 2: I mean, I also think that maybe the sisters, you know, the pop sharing their two cents about him didn't help. But yeah, I just thought this must be a subtle reference to the old days with his partner, Like, was this some sort of dig it Tammy?
Speaker 1: I feel like you're reading a.
Speaker 2: Bit too much into it, But the fact that the sister was also at this market is also very old. Why I share about like if your ex live with Like just say your ex had a dog with his partner and it was like this dog that he loved, why would you post about it? It's like you're almost trying to get your ex to message you or something. Unless he was like, oh fuck, I need to share something on my Instagram because I want to see if Tammy or whatever burner accounts or whenever Business Accounts has a look at it to see if she can I've just got to share something, but he'd already shared numerous roaders at this market. Isn't the most awkward thing, though, having to refollow somebody that you have unfollowed. Yeah, I mean I've done that before with you guys, when I unfollow you in like a blind rage. And I've stopped doing it because I know it sounds lame, but it always pops up like, oh, you be friends with this person for fifteen years in Facebook stuff. Yeah, on Facebook is embarrassing when it's like you be friends with this person for a year and you're like, oh, I was really intrigued though, to find out more about Matt's relationship with Jen, Like, you have told me not to describe her like this, but she's a normal girlfriend, so she has no reality TV ties at all, because I just think it's an offensive term. Someone's enormy.
Speaker 1: It's not offensive. It's a fucking pop. It's just a normal girl anyway.
Speaker 2: So Matt is known for dating celebrity, so he previously dated Kira Maguire from the Bachelor, and he I don't know if this is true or if this is just a rumor, but it sounds like he said that he dated her for followers. There was a lot of press around the time that they broke up, and so who knows how true it was. It was probably sources said Matt only dated her for attention, so Genevieve, she didn't really fit the type of who he normally would date as well.
Speaker 1: She's brunette, not famous.
Speaker 2: They started dating in twenty twenty one and their relationship was really on again, off again from all reports, and he made twenty twenty three, Matt announced on his podcast that they broke up. Now, I want to get our timeline up here, because that is four months before he started dating Tammy Hembro.
Speaker 1: And when he announced.
Speaker 2: The breakup, he said that they were still very much in contact, and he didn't reveal the exact reason, but we could all read between the lines because he said, I crossed boundaries that I shouldn't have. I disrespected her in ways that look I'm not proud of now. Immediately I thought this sounded like cheating, but he followed up by saying, it sounds like I cheated on her.
Speaker 1: Nothing like that happened. It was nothing like that. I was more in a way. I wasn't loyal in situations I should have been.
Speaker 2: I definitely lost my way and was brought into cultures that are a younger version of me, and I should have just been more true to who I am now and not done that stuff. Obviously, it was too much for both of us, mostly her, and she broke up with that. Sounds like he has either gone to strip clubs with his friends. He's either maybe drunk too.
Speaker 1: Much, may be drinking or drugs.
Speaker 2: I mean, well, we don't want to point fingers, but even the fact that last week on his podcast he said to his podcast hosts Anna mcavoyd that you know that he didn't want to invite her to his Bucks party because of his friends, and how Anna didn't get along with it, like I don't know if he's been cult and he acted as if she didn't like the vibe around them. He became they sound like sort of those meat heead, sort of guys that you'd meet at a festival. I mean, I've never seen I haven't really seen photos of them, but I wouldn't be surprised the fact that he said he didn't cheat, but he'd cross boundaries. I reckon strip club maybe. What is also quite interesting is that after the breakup with Jen, Matt was forced to move back in with his mum, but he was only there for four months because it took him four months to then shack up with Tammy hembro on the gold.
Speaker 1: Goes to be fair. Melbourne rent is very expensive. Yes, it is very expensive, but the timing says a bit doesn't. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt and Tammy ended up following each other again the next day, but it's not the first time they have unfollowed each other. So back in April they unfollowed one another briefly, and that was following the infamous Grand Prix DM fiasco. It's clear that Tammy and Matt's followers want to know what led to this most recent unfollowing, so one person wrote under one of Matt's posts, why have you and Tammy unfollowed each other on Instagram? Looks as though she has deleted a lot of photos with you as well.
Speaker 1: Now Matt, of course did not reply.
Speaker 2: One listener weighed in our Facebook community, saying, definitely something fishy going on. You should not be marrying someone if you were finding yourself unfollowing them. Post arguments and then adding them after again. That would be a big red flag for me. There is no easy or quick divorce. I've got to say, like, I have never unfollowed Dale off Instagram, and I can't even imagine unfollowing him in.
Speaker 1: The lead up to our wedding.
Speaker 2: Particularly if you are a public figure and people on a daily basis are keeping track of who you're following and unfollowing, you're clearly trying to send.
Speaker 1: A message there. Yeah, it's just bizarre behavior.
Speaker 2: Another follower, which I tend to agree with, said Matt is a boy, not yet a man. I feel like there must have been a lot of pressure on them to reconcile after this fight, particularly when the Hen's Party in Bucks Party was only a few days away. I mean, Matt had people flying in from Melbourne. I'm sure there's been a lot of money poured into the Hen's Party. It looked like a very lavish event. They had caterer's event planners.
Speaker 1: Also, there seemed to.
Speaker 2: Be a lot of partnership deals riding on this Hen's Party and Bucks Party going ahead, so financially and also from a business perspective, it would have been bad to pull the pin well this party did end up eventuating and Tammy looked incredible. So she was really vibing Marilyn Munroe, particularly with her hair. So she wore a white mini dress from Sydney designer Aston Bridle, and I saw their TikTok account and they were so excited to give her this dress. Yeah. Well it had a corsett top and this little puffy skirt with these draping bows at the front. It appeared like this was a partnership deal because she kept tagging them in the posts, and then she also provided them with photos and videos for them to share on their own social media accounts. Now, Tammy's bridesmaids did an amazing job. They organized this beautiful long lunch at a very fancy house on the gold Coat.
Speaker 1: I wondered if it was Tammy's house, it looked a lot like hers. No, it wouldn't have been her house.
Speaker 2: It was a different house that they'd hired out and they had an event company called Next Event. It was very esthetic looking, and as I said earlier, there were just so many sponsorship dealers going on. So they had in the roundhouse who appeared to supply all of the crockery, and they.
Speaker 1: Also had two chefs there.
Speaker 2: They were cooking up the long lunch in the kitchen, and Tammy tagged them as well, just to point out there, because we've got so many influences who contact us and they're like, no, I was just being nice and tagging them. So in Tammy's defense, she may have just tagged them because they were doing a good job.
Speaker 1: I think we don't know. I think she paid for hair and makeup.
Speaker 2: I think often people just tag hair and makeup because they build a connection with them and a bit of a friendship whilst they're doing it. But I don't think that she's just tagging a caterer willy nilly. One of the cool details I liked from The Bridesmaids was that they created a cocktail list which was named after Tammy's hall passes. And I don't know if I rate some of these hall passes, Like there's Keanu Reeves, Patrick Dempsey, Pedro Pascal.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know who John Kransky is. Is that why you say his name?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I had to google them as well.
Speaker 2: They're on the older side, But I feel like Keanu Reeves is maybe one of her old school hall passes. He seemed to be quite popular, you know, back in the day. Now, Anna McAvoy didn't make a surprise appearance. It looked like it was a very intimate group of girls. I was surprised to see Lily Brown there, though I didn't realize they were so close. I know that she attended their New Year's party, but I wouldn't have had her on my list of people I expected to see their, particularly because Anna didn't get an invite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm assuming Anna didn't go to Matt's things.
Speaker 2: No, No, there was only one photo that Matt posted the next day of what looked like to be a bit of a piss up, and the friends were just what you would expect, and he was wearing a convict.
Speaker 1: Outfit like on his podcast he said that.
Speaker 2: He wanted to wear like a western outfit. But it's clear that his friends really didn't organize anything. So I'm guessing that the convict is the old life. Oh, the old ball and chain.
Speaker 1: She's lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah down, His groomsmen might have organized his costume for him, like they obviously always stitch.
Speaker 1: Up the groom. I enjoyed all of the social media content that came up.
Speaker 2: Because there was one video which Tammy shared and she was up on a chair dancing to Shania Twain and she legitimately looked like she was having a really good time. That's really as rowdy as it got, and it seemed like the whole joint Hucks party was a bit of an afterthought. It seemed like they were all very intoxicated when they got there, because after the lunch, Tammy then moved on to the Star Gold Coast and they'd set up this beautiful room with her.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: I think this was also another sponsorship deal, because she was tagging them and they had this huge suite and her bridesmaids had set up all these white balloons and they had these cute photos of Tammy and Matt's faces. But it just seemed like you know when you know, when you're day drinking and it's just gone on for too long and everyone's getting really messy, Like I just kind of got those vibes.
Speaker 1: And Emily actually left the party.
Speaker 2: Really so she stayed for the lunch and then she basically said that she had escaped the hens to join her husband at dinner. I'm guessing they're probably debriefing about the whole thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, that doesn't sound good.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Daily Mail have been trying to paint the event of some big flop, because they put up a whole load of paparazzi shots and Tammy appeared to be crying in the photos when she met up with Matt. But I don't buy it because there were so many different photos in different articles that they shared, and in one she's kissing him and smiling, and in the next.
Speaker 1: She looks like she's teary.
Speaker 2: To be honest, I think she was touching her fake eyelashes. That's all I think it was. I thought it looked like he had given her a bracelet and she was like, oh my god, thank you so much, like she'd probably been drunk, so it was a bit teary at the sight of seeing her fiance. Well, the Daily Mail went as far as quoting an anonymous insider who said that Tammy was visibly upset and Matt was trying to comfort her, but it was clear that she didn't want his affection and turned her back on him.
Speaker 1: Was the source of the photographer, Yeah, exactly. Well.
Speaker 2: They then also claimed that another insider said that the whole blow up and the unfollowing fiasco was down to Tammy bringing up a prenup. Look, it's a really hard one because no one actually knows what's going on in their lives. But that's why they need to be really careful about the way that they talk about the relationship online and also all of this unfollowing business because people read.
Speaker 1: So much into it.
Speaker 2: And I know they've been sharing a few tiktoks where they've reacted to some of the media coverages if they don't care, but unfortunately they're bringing it.
Speaker 1: On a lot themselves.
Speaker 2: Another thing the Daily Mail did that I thought was really gross is that they captured photos of Tammy entering her hens lunch and they basically upskirted her. So she was walking up this little staircase to enter the house and they snapped in an upwards direction so you could literally see the outline of her bum and I just thought it was foul, because you know, she's got this beautiful dress on. She is potentially unaware that presumably these men are taking these photos of her, and then they just post them as if it's nothing. It's just it's really tacky and gross and just objectifying her.
Speaker 1: And I think this is.
Speaker 2: Also why Tammy felt the need to upload photos and Instagram stories on the day of the Hens because she probably wanted to get in first. Now the day after the Hens, she also uploaded a carousel and as the caption, she wrote, just call me missus Zakowski, and that seemed to elicit a really strong response from followers.
Speaker 1: One wrote, please do a prenup.
Speaker 2: You may not want to listen to anyone, but it covers your babies and you worked hard for what you have before anyone came along, whilst another said Tammy Zakowski doesn't hit now. Tammy ended up replying to that comment and said does for me with a drooling face.
Speaker 1: Do you actually think she's going to change her name?
Speaker 2: She is so When she appeared on Matt's podcast at the start of the year, she said that legally she'll be changing her name to Tammy Zakowski, but it sounds like for social media stuff she'll keep at Hembro.
Speaker 1: Because it's too can using.
Speaker 4: Just a decision Josh and.
Speaker 1: I made Hinnis mogul.
Speaker 2: Steph Claire Smith has revealed she will no longer be sharing her son Harvey's face online. The three year old has been a fixture on both Steph and her husband Josh's social media channels.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Steph opened up about the decision in a question and answer.
Speaker 1: Here's what she said.
Speaker 5: And this has just been because he's gotten to an age now where he's he's a little boy, he's quite recognizable, and we've had and people have obviously absolutely meant well, but people who have recognized me or recognized Harvey have kind of gone up to him and said Hi Harvey.
Speaker 1: And I just started to think.
Speaker 4: About how uncomfortable I felt with like, especially when there was times when I wasn't with him or Josh and I weren't with him and he was out with like I don't know, a nanny or a family member, or even at daycare and someone would go up to him and say, Hi, Harvey. I feel like for a kid, that would just be so confusing. If strangers coming up to you and knowing your.
Speaker 2: Name, that would be really unsettling to have people coming up to your child, particularly when you're.
Speaker 1: Not there, Like, what a weird situation to be.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure that people had the right intentions, but I don't think I'd ever walk up to a child who I'd seen on social media and just try and talk to I actually remember we were shooting a video at a childcare center and there was an Adelaide influencer's child there and I recognized the kid instantly.
Speaker 1: But there's no way I would have acknowledged it and spoken to him.
Speaker 2: It's weird and it'd be so confusing, and it would give them this really strange view of the world, because then do they just assume that everyone knows who they are now. Steph continued saying that the situation also made it difficult to teach him about stranger danger and who he can trust. And it would be like, how can you say, oh, don't worry. The people that come up to you are nice, yeah, but also also potentially dangerous. But if someone came up to him and said, hey, Harvey, your mum has asked me to come and pick you up, the kid would be like, oh, okay, I'll just go with you. It really does show that by sharing a kid online that they are just so easily recognizable, especially when you've.
Speaker 1: Got millions and millions of followers.
Speaker 2: I mean, Steph is one of the I think the most well known Australian influence.
Speaker 1: I think she's a celebrity as well, that she's a famous.
Speaker 2: Model, and it also really shows this strange parasocial relationship you can build with a child. I mean, we've literally heard about Steph's pregnancies, We've heard her birth story, We've seen photos of him brought home from the hospital, We've heard about his tantrums, like we have had a fly on the wall look into this little kid's life, which actually sounds so weird when you say it out loud. Well, and also, Harvey's been a big part of her husband, Josh's social media content because on his TikTok, he was sharing a lot of videos of his son sitting down while he made a coffee. Well, a lot of them are paid partnerships as well, which I totally understand because Josh is the full time stay at home dad, so obviously he's wanting to work out a way that he can make money whilst raising Harvey. And I think what has really added to this parasocial relationship with his family is the fact that Steph often opens up about her struggles as a mum.
Speaker 1: And I think the reason she does this.
Speaker 2: Is because you know, she's a model, she's starting, she's got abs, she's got this five million Dollar House. So she's trying to find some relatability by talking about her struggles as a mum. But is it her trying to find relatability or is it her just actually sharing about her life organically and these things have.
Speaker 1: Popped up and she wants to talk about them.
Speaker 2: I don't think she's that, you know, strategic. I don't think there's anything wrong with being strategic. I'm just more saying that I think that Kick have tried to build this platform on relatability, and it would be really hard when maybe your life isn't that relatable.
Speaker 1: And I think that she is.
Speaker 2: Trying to create a community of mums and also that's her new life now, so that's also why she's sharing about it.
Speaker 1: We do you think she's going to have an issue though?
Speaker 2: Because she has been sharing his face and about him for such a long time now, I would argue he's going to be wreckingognizable for a good number of years, and especially like even I've seen for example, Leyton Hewitt and Beck Hewitt's child Mia, she was photographed all the time at the OZ Open and now they're even following her around as an eighteen year old.
Speaker 1: It seems to be obsessed with her.
Speaker 2: It's so weird because it's not as if she's in the public eye.
Speaker 1: For her career or anything.
Speaker 2: They literally waited until she turned eighteen and then have all these grow shots of her at the beach.
Speaker 1: It is awful.
Speaker 2: It's because she looks nothing like Layton and Beck and she's like, look, she kind of does.
Speaker 1: It's because she's.
Speaker 2: Out partying as well. She's always smoking and stuff like that us.
Speaker 1: Most eighteen year olds are.
Speaker 2: But getting back to this, I think because she's made a lot of headlines by talking about him, because you know, we spoke about it last year where she said flippantly, oh my toddler can be a total psycho, and that made a headline and a lot of mums related to it and said that they actually.
Speaker 1: Felt very heard.
Speaker 2: And then recently she generated quite a big response by taking her son to the gym with her, and we spoke about that as well, and many mums sided with her and said that.
Speaker 1: They should be allowed to go to the gym. And it's really difficult for mums.
Speaker 2: So it's really hard because it has become part of her brand. So I wonder whether she will not be sharing his face but still be talking about him. Yeah, And it seems like Steph is also thinking ahead to when Harvey goes to school, which isn't that far away, because she said that she's concerned that her being so open about him could affect him in the school yard. Here's what she said, He's also coming close to that school age, so like kids talk and.
Speaker 1: They chat, and.
Speaker 3: I know that with my profile, like the likelihood of people bringing up to like coming up to him in school or whatever and saying like your mom does this or whatever, that's like one thing that I know, well, depending on where I'll be in couple of years, that he might have to deal with, let alone like him being all over my page as well and then having access to that.
Speaker 2: I wonder if this is in reference to some of the intimate topics that she and her co host Laura Henshaw share on their podcast, because they've been promoting their podcast with a lot of viral clips and a lot of the time it is about their sex life, and it's proving to be a very successful strategy for them. They're getting a lot of clicks, a lot of views. I mean, personally, it makes me want to tune in to.
Speaker 1: Hear about it.
Speaker 2: Everyone wants to jucy detail they recently well I think it was last year that they spoke about that sex challenge that she and Josh did, and I was hooked.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god, this is so juicy.
Speaker 2: Well it must be so weird as well, when you have kids and they start off being so young and not understanding anything, and then the realization that wait a second, they're going to grow up and they're going to be able to Google you and they're going to hear your parents, oh that they had a sex challenge five. I would not want to hear about that at all.
Speaker 1: No child should have to read. But could you imagine in the school yard.
Speaker 2: I mean this, a lot of this information could be used a spot it against a kid. I mean hopefully not at five, no, but I mean kids they have access to social media.
Speaker 1: It is wild stuff that comes out of young kid's mouth.
Speaker 2: Like our mum's a teacher and she can't believe some of the stuff that these young kids know. Do you think stuff's going to go back and archive old photos of him or is it just moving forward?
Speaker 1: She's not going to show him anymore.
Speaker 2: I reckon, it'll just be a moving forward thing. I've noticed on a social media she'll still share photos of him, but his face will be more concealed, like he'll be turning his head or she'll have riding over the top of it. I think it is a positive that they've made this decision. It's really responsible to shut it down now because they're almost having to say, look, we made a mistake by sharing too much, which is really commendable to put your hands up and say you've probably done the wrong thing.
Speaker 1: And I just think ultimately it's really.
Speaker 2: Sad that people have to be so careful, but it is just the reality of social media.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, it's been a hot minute since I've been on TikTok, but I'm relaunching myself.
Speaker 2: Controversial slickstick owner Mia Plastic has made a very odd business move launching a new mother during Instagram account. We'd wait for it, Sophie, the same name as Australia's biggest women's media publication.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is just wild.
Speaker 2: So Mia launched this account on Friday and called it Mama Miya at Home, which of course is the same name as Mia Friedman's media company, Mama Mia, which has been in business for seventeen years. Now, the bio of the account read busy working mama with a passion for her baby's health and well being, followed for recipe hacks and tips.
Speaker 1: Now, surely Maya is aware of Mama Mia.
Speaker 2: Like you'd have to be living under a rock to not have heard of this women's media publication. It's a hugely successful news website and also a podcast network.
Speaker 1: I don't really think that you can claim, oh, Sorr, I haven't heard of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just don't get it, because she surely knows about them, So she's just made this decision anyway, I mean, why would you even want to have.
Speaker 1: The same hand or as Mama Maya. It's so confusing.
Speaker 2: I mean, at this stage it is just an Instagram account, but she is a serial entrepreneur, and it is clear that she'll be eventually looking to monetize it and grow it. And I really feel like these days Instagram and mother accounts, they are really the modern day equivalent of blog sites, and that is fundamentally what Muma Mia started off as, and then they turned into a larger media company.
Speaker 1: But regardless of if.
Speaker 2: She turns it into a company, why would she want to have the same name as the biggest women's media publication of the country.
Speaker 1: I mean, is she that fucking unaware?
Speaker 2: It's pretty brazen, considering she has a history of sending out cease and desist letters to anyone who sells a similar product to her or a business she doesn't agree with. I actually don't think she's unaware of Muma Mia. I think that she is being strategic because.
Speaker 1: How let's me explain it to you.
Speaker 2: She has received so much bad publicity over the years that a source has told me that she and her husband, Justin have allegedly invested a lot of money in SEO so that when businesses search for them, all the.
Speaker 1: Negative shit doesn't come up.
Speaker 2: So if she takes on a name that is already popular, like Mama Mia, people are going to be searching for Mamma Mia at home instead of mea Plassic, and none of the negative shit's gonna come up. And also, Mamma mer is already a term that has a lot of traction with it. It's interesting because I just did a search of Mia plastic and there's only positive articles which have shown up so far, So the SEO team are clearly doing their job. I really feel for Mia Friedman and Mama Mea because I would not want anyone to think that my brand is affiliated with hers, and I don't necessarily think at this stage that it's a breach of trademark laws because it is just an Instagram account, but it definitely generates a lot of confusion, and if she has plans to grow this account, it could turn into a business that will then make it an issue.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems like Muma and MIA's lawyers must have gone.
Speaker 2: To it pretty quickly, because when I checked on Friday, the account was already down. They definitely got on to it quit considering it was a public holiday. It's very clear from this move that Mia wants to enter the mummy blogging space.
Speaker 1: And she's already been sharing.
Speaker 2: A lot of her very strong views about food and the uses of plastic on her main account, and she is strongly against manufactured baby food and she makes all of.
Speaker 1: Her own organic homemade.
Speaker 2: Song that's the next thing, that's the next visitess she's going to have a baby food brand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's a very good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she wanks on about all of this organic food and before announcing her new venture on Friday, she shared that she was cooking up bone broth for her son as well as organic chicken liver, and she shared this whole rant about plastic. So she said that she is highly against plastics for her son, and she said that microplastics are a huge problem that isn't taken seriously enough. She continued saying that everything of her son's is either glass, silicon or stainless steel. Now this is despite the fact that the previous Instagram story showed his vegetables were stored in plastic ziplock bags, and she said, oh no, no, but my jars are arriving tomorrow now. She also revealed that she'd purchased a stainless steel sippy cup to replace the plastic one that she'd been using on her European vacation, as that's all she could find there. She prefaced by saying that she bought him a new plastic bottle every few days and throughout the old ones because she was so afraid of the microplastics breaking down in the water. Doesn't that sound great for the environment? Why does sisters remind me of those tiktoks which show people in two thousand and five as teenagers and they're drinking like Red Bull and eating Cheetos and they're now in their thirties, like everything must be orgaddick. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: She also said that she'd thrown out all of her non stick pans, that she only uses stainless steel ones. She's thrown out her plastic utensils and bottles like it is giving very much vibes of being a.
Speaker 1: First time mum.
Speaker 2: I think she's gone down one of those TikTok holes. I often get stuck in those where everything like you can think of.
Speaker 1: Your house is apparently toxic.
Speaker 2: And she's even throwing out his soft toys, which hurts my heart. So she's learned that polyester is plastic, so that'll be the next to go, and his only toys is are silicon or wood. Wait a second, isn't her whole slick stick products made out of plastic exactly now? In this post, she continued saying, I'm so passionate about my little man's health. He has never drank tap water, only filtered I don't even know what this is, canngan or spring water. He's never eaten anything other than food.
Speaker 1: I've cooked him all my breast milk.
Speaker 2: All the ingredients are certified organic his nappies are all natural cotton with no dyes.
Speaker 1: I only use natural.
Speaker 2: Water wipes that are bio degradable. Does she think that that makes up for the tens of baby plastic baby bottles that she throw out during her weeks in Europe?
Speaker 1: Like, oh thank god?
Speaker 2: There By, I don't want to judge her, because I have this fear that I am going to turn into an earth Mother when I have children.
Speaker 1: There's something I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's something about it that I think people's minds flick over and they go, I need to protect this baby at all accounts.
Speaker 1: The only thing I find funny.
Speaker 2: About it is that regardless of how much you shelter your child from having plastics or whatever she's doing, one day they're going to turn into a teenager who goes to McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Like, it's just the reality. I agree to some extent.
Speaker 2: I think that it's quite noble to find out what you're feeding your kids, and everyone has the choice of what products and things that they feel comfortable with. I just feel like, knowing her and her background, it all sounds really extreme and almost conspiracy theory esque, particularly as she's a known anti vaxxer. She's much an anti lockdown protest, and she was trying to get a black market doctor to give her a COVID passport.
Speaker 1: That's how extreme she gets.
Speaker 2: And I sort of feel like saying, well, you're saying you care so much about your son's health, you haven't even gotten fucking vaccinated. Well on that issue, I do find it irritating when I see some mums copying online though, when they do pack their kid a healthy lunchbox, because who cops it for packing the cat sat Day is actually one of them. I saw a recent TikTok and she was showing all these healthy things that she's packed Fox for his lunch, and so many people were like tearing out a shreds, And then I saw one comment that was like, wait a sec, like why are we tearing women apart for actually giving their kids good nutritious You know, I actually one hundred percent agree, because sometimes you see these lunchboxes and it's like pack ten tons of tiny teddies and everything's processed and whatever. And I understand that kids needs treats, but why is it that we're so critical when other people go the other way and they try and be helped.
Speaker 1: You know what it is.
Speaker 2: It is because of this is the word motor boating. This absolute like motor boating of it.
Speaker 1: It's like old pretentiousness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look at my perfect lunch box that I've spent all of this money and time doing, Like a lot of mums are time poor. And the thing that people don't like is the broadcasting about on social media because it turns into mum shaming because it's sort of like, well, you're a shit mum if you have a plastic bottle for your kids and it goes too far. I do understand that, but I think some tis there should be more education around. For example, it's probably not a good thing to give your kids so much food containing sugar for their lunch.
Speaker 1: Sugar the walls.
Speaker 2: This isn't about sugar though, This is about shaming and putting pressure on mums who are also probably trying their best and probably don't have enough money to buy a plastic bottle every couple of days and then dispose of it with no care for the environment. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do want to have the resources to live.
Speaker 2: This sul I'm saying is I'm all for education online about nutrition, and I think that sometimes there does need to be better education for parents and also children about what they're putting in their bodies.
Speaker 1: Well, Amy, there might be an account for you to follow a nearly renamed mum and mea at home. I'm not interested in that account.
Speaker 2: Do we need another Pete Evans like he sort of just disappeared? Do we need to just just has someone that's a bit less extreme about it?
Speaker 1: And I would definitely follow them. Well, I'm all for the chaotic mums.
Speaker 2: I would rather see a chaotic mum who's trying her best and he's perhaps throwing some shapes or some tiny teddies in with an It's all about balance. That's what people don't seem to get. Yeah, well, I think that's all we've got time for today. Thank you so much for listening to another episode. If you have enjoyed it, could you please make sure you are subscribed on Apple Podcasts and also Spotify. And thank you so much again for everyone who has been leaving us the nicest reviews.
Speaker 1: It honestly makes my day. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: If you haven't left review yet, it sounds quite greedy and thirsty of me, but could you please leave on because it does really help our podcast. This episode was recorded on the traditional land of the Ghana people of the Adelaide planes.
Speaker 1: We pay respect to elders past and present,