Speaker 1: Flex and Frooms, Flex and Frooms. This is the Flex and Frooms catch up podcast.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine a time where, like cars and houses and.
Speaker 1: Babies, dogs a nuclear family?
Speaker 2: Can you imagine a future where, like houses and cars, we share smartphones. You might be thinking we did that with payphones, have we not? While we go back, as we've been talking about building utopias or existing in a utopia, or like living in an apocalypse, I was thinking about how, at one point in time, privately owning everything was the vibe for some, not many, but also it was a way to indicate social status, right like I in order to be in this lavish house, I bought it. In order to enter that car, I must have owned it or my parents owned it.
Speaker 1: In order to do the blue messages, I must have an iPhone.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and then a lot of those experiences. In order to enjoy indulge in that beautiful lavish house, I'll just rent it out on a short stay accommodation site. In order to eat at that beautiful restaurant, I'll just order it on said delivery food app. It's all available to me because I can choose to lease it for a short amount of time. What about smartphones. I ask because if for some god forsaken reason my phone did not work, there would be no other phone for me to access to do any phone like activity, not to call you, nothing that's bad.
Speaker 1: Why don't we scared? Well, you got your phone stolen a coach ell are, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did, But thank the Lord, we come sorry about me.
Speaker 1: Steve Jobs from the grade.
Speaker 2: Literally you realized Steve Job's re encountered. Don't worry. I think that, like everything sounds really far fetched until it's not right. You know, this idea of getting into a stranger just car and paying a premium to go from A to B feels like something from way in the future, not present day. And ride sharing and all these other things were done to sell us the idea of convenience. Right, you should be able to access the thing you need conveniently. Why aren't we doing that with phones? Bring back the payphone or just a communal phone of some sort. Why don't we have an office phone that everyone can access? Why is the receptions gatekeeping?
Speaker 1: Isn't there one?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: Isn't there a phone everyone can use? No, this phone's right here flix in this place, we can't use it.
Speaker 2: You don't even know how to use it. Mikayla and I were having a yarn earlier, and we're talking about the myth of convenience. I've won, have been, i would say, indoctrinated into this myth of convenience, this idea that it's easier to get a food delivery service than it is to walk down the street and pick it up. Right. But no, it's not easier. It's actually harder because I'm paying more money for it, the food's arriving cold, I'm doing negotiations with the driver to figure out where they are.
Speaker 1: Where I am.
Speaker 2: It's not how I remember. Might it be easier for me to get up and walk to the store and pick it up and know that I have it? Probably, But in my head it would take a significant amount of mental gymnastics to get there, which is worrying. Right, Let's say in my head, I've convinced myself it is easier to live in a metropolitan space. Right, I'm close to everything, it's right in my backyard. Is it actually easier easier for what you end up orbiting where you live? Anyway? I could live anywhere and decide that my local IJ is easy to get to because it's near or my local pharmacy is easy to get to because it's near me. But then I wonder, Okay, let's say things aren't actually easier, We've just convinced ourselves that they are. Well, then what do we think should remain difficult? Because I feel like part of what I'm struggling with in life is I don't know what daily rituals are meant to be difficult to the point of this is just how life is versus this has gone out of control and it's really inconveniencing me. For example, I used to have a fortnightly cleaner come and clean my house, right but I'm already cleaning constantly, and I'm tidying before the cleaner gets there. And I'm thinking, mm, okay, well, before the cleaner gets there, I'm gonna do some tidy. I'm gonna clean the bathrooms. I know how I like it, and I'm just gonna get them to the do it once over. Who FORO is it really easy to pay hundreds of dollars for someone to come and clean your house after you've already cleaned it. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Not a deep clean though in some ways.
Speaker 2: Maybe, But if I gave myself that money and said I'm gonna pay you this money to clean your own bathroom or to clean your own house, maybe it would actually be fine.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Use it for a message, Yeah, whatever it might be. You're just gonna make sure you got all the right equipment.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's worth having. It's a good skill to learn. I believe convenience does exist, but not in the way that we do it in modern day times. It reminded me of this snippet of conversation I saw Bo Burnham having. I'm not really across I didn't really watch his YouTube or anything, but I get it enough. But he was saying, the fundamental issue with social media is that we optimize a part of our life that didn't need optimization. We didn't need to know how to do relationships easier or more efficient. We actually needed to learn how to do them more intentionally. And now we've overoptimized it. We don't know how to We don't accept when any part of relationships are difficult. We don't know how to just deal with a friend who interrupts us when we speak, or who is late to things. We're like, oh no, we have to cut them off, it's too much. Right, What things in our life should be difficult? Because I was saying earlier, I think building skills should actually be difficult learning how to be proficient at something, whether it's learning how to play tennis or learn a language. Part of the skills you learn is the skill of learning a skill, not just the outcome of being Like, now I can speak Dutch. It's oh, I'm learning repetition and discipline and connecting my ideas and apst thoughts and using my brain. That's all necessary. I can use that everywhere else. What else should be difficult in life?
Speaker 1: I know it should be easy. What cooking nutritious meals? Oh yeah, cleaning your house? Yeah, all the things that I think are thankless and should necessary to live. Thankless and necessary to live. I don't want to be slave and over. I don't even own a bloody iron. Oh slave over that bad boy.
Speaker 2: This time, I'm turning into my mum because if I'm leaving the house, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, good iron, Yeah, I really do. I can't go out there and bassing the family like this. Yeah, I mean god, it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to The Flex and Froom's daily podcast, for more tune indicator on DAB or stream it on iHeartRadio.