Speaker 1: When you turn on the news in the morning, or watch an online conference or join a work zoom meeting, it's become totally normal to be watching people present or be interviewed from their home office. The other thing we've become accustomed to watching is people's personal life spill out from the office door and into their room mid interview. I know that my daughter Frankie has definitely made some guest appearances in some of my meetings and presentations. My guest today, fellow Melbournite, Jamilla Risby, has definitely experienced that, having spent over two hundred and sixty days in lockdown, and indeed when we recorded this chat, we were both still in lockdown. Jamilla is the chief creative officer of nine's Future Women, a weekly columnist for the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, the host of the Briefing podcast, and a recovering workaholic. In her early twenties, Jamilla was a political staffer for ex Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and someone who used to talk to her boss in the morning before saying.
Speaker 2: Hello to her husband.
Speaker 1: It took a brain tumor diagnosis years ago for Jamilla to reassess her priorities and make more space in her life for people, starting with her family. So how did Jimiller change her work routines to put family and her health front and center? And as a prolific writer, what did Jimilla's tips for drastically improving your writing and also for convincing your friends to edit your work? And what are Jamilla's tricks for building rapport super quickly with people that she interviews on her podcast for Future Women.
Speaker 2: My name is doctor Amantha Imber. I'm an organizational psychologist and the founder of behavioral science consultancy Inventium.
Speaker 1: And this is how I work, a show about how to help you do your best work. Jimiller is someone who has achieved so much in her career in a relatively short period of time.
Speaker 2: So I wanted to know is she a productivity nerd like me?
Speaker 1: Or did she just hit the go button when she was twenty and never look back.
Speaker 3: I definitely have kind of strategies and have got my own kind of hacks for things that work for me in terms of getting things done. But I've always been very busy, and my parents, when they're kind of asked to describe what I was like as a kid, They always say I was super enthusiastic, like it didn't matter if I was good at something or not. I just wanted to be involved in everything that's interesting.
Speaker 1: I had a boss once who said the thing that he looks for in job interviews doesn't care about skills or competencies. He looks for enthusiasm because everything else can be trayed.
Speaker 2: It just reminds me.
Speaker 1: About what are some of your go to hacks and rituals and strategies that you've picked up over the years.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For me, it depends on the kind of work I'm doing and the headspace I need to be in for that work. So, for example, if I'm writing, if I'm writing a column, or if I'm working on a new book, I like to be somewhere that is not home, which is particularly difficult at the moment during the pandemic, but I prefer to be at a library or in a coffee shop is usually my go to. I like to be in a space where I don't have the responsibilities of home, and I also don't have the sort of emotional engagement of home. I find it useful to be able to disconnect from that when I'm writing. I also know that I am a morning person, and so I try my best to schedule the highest sort of intellectual workload in the morning because I know if I need to be really creative, if I'm writing a column, for example, I need my best possible brain space. I don't know why people clear their emails at nine am when they start work like that. For me, that's a waste of my best brain time on something that I can easily do at six or seven pm. Kind of chilled out at the end of the day. So I try to work and sort of hack my time to when I'm going to be most productive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting what you said about doing your best writing work from outside of home, and I can definitely relate to that.
Speaker 2: I used to be such a cafe worker.
Speaker 1: So I'm curious how you've adjusted to being in lockdown because you're in Melbourne, and I want to say where maybe on day two hundred and twenty something of lockdown over the last eighteen.
Speaker 2: Months, So what have you done instead?
Speaker 3: I have found being productive during lockdown challenging. I think everyone's had that experience in some way or another. I've got kind of extra competing demands with homeschooling my son, and having my husband working from home, which isn't the norm for him, so I do it hard to kind of shut out what's happening around me. One of the things that's been helpful more recently is that I've really carved out space in the house that is just mine for work. Previously, because I was the only one at home working, I didn't really need to do that. You know. I could be in the living room, I could be in the bedroom, I could be at the kitchen table, I could be in the study, I could be wherever I felt like it on that given day. Whereas I've realized I really need my own space that is always my space that other things don't creep into. I've needed to separate my workspace from where I go to sleep because otherwise that kind of causes and creates stress for me, and I need to be able to This sounds awful, but I need to be able to shut out my family. I need to be able to close the door and say not right now, because for me, particularly if I'm writing about something that's traumatic or upsetting, I can't do that properly. I can't do that well. If there's the chance that my son's going to come bursting in at any moment asking me to fix a transformer.
Speaker 2: Even though that is really quite urgent.
Speaker 1: How have you gone about setting those boundaries, because I feel like that sounds good in theory that I feel like six year olds are not great at respecting boundaries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, my son is pretty good at knowing if I'm on air, like he knows what television means and being on TV means, or if I'm recording radio. But you know, there are still times when I've been giving a speech to a large amount of people. There was a point last year when I was giving speech to the State Library in New South Wales, and Sydney was not in lockdown at the time, so there were hundreds of people there. But I was alone in my room and I was standing up in front of the computer because I speak better when i'm standing. And I'd done about forty minutes of the speech and we were up to the Q and A, and my son came in and it was an urgent lego problem and something needed to be fixed, and I couldn't fix it quickly while still looking at the camera. And he was five at the time, and he just refused to leap, like he flat out refused to leave, and I had to do the last ten minutes of the of the conversation just holding him in one arm while he talked about this lego character. I think one of the good things, and I'm not one for looking for silver linings in such an enormous tragedy, but one of the good things that has come out of the pandemic experience, I think has been not a blurring of but a greater understanding that the boundaries between work life and home life are false boundaries, that really you can't be your most efficient working self without being the same self that looks after a child or goes home to someone you love in the evenings and cooks dinner, or cleans the house or walks the dog, whatever it might be. That those two people are inextricably linked. And if you are feeling unwell or you've had tragic family news, we tend to be understanding of that that that will impact your work, but only for a very brief period of time. I think what the pandemic's done is it's given us this little zoom porthal into people's laune rooms and their lives at home, and I do think we're a little bit more understanding that it's not just great tragedies that impact your efficiency and your effectiveness at work, that your work self and your personal self are all the same self, and because they're indivisible, we have to be more understanding and accepting that people who are working people are also people outside.
Speaker 2: Of that workplace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely got I had this experience a few weeks ago. I've got a seven year old who's with me half the time, and I've normally got help with the homeschooling. But this particular afternoon, I was doing a podcast interview, and Frankie decided that it was a great moment to sneak into my study where I record the interviews from and just hit under the desk and then was kind of like pulling at my leg, like, oh my gosh, I can't even talk to her because I'm in the middle of an interview and I really don't want to put the guest off. And so I'll write her a note and I'll ask her a question that will take her a long time to do a handwritten response, but she was really quick, and so then I then started this little series of handwritten notes.
Speaker 2: That she was passing up to me trying to do the interview. So that was that was fun.
Speaker 1: Now I want to talk about writing, because you like a large part of your career has been about writing. But for listeners of the show, they're probably tenders are they're not paid writers, But everyone writes. I mean writing is so critical. I think in you know, whatever kind of job you do, because it's how we can communicate ideas. So I'm really curious about what are your routines around writing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I wish I had more routines than I do. So a big one is, as I've already mentioned, I like to write in the mornings. I like to have that physical separation from my home if I can. And then I suppose I put a bunch of strategies in place that mean I want to go back to writing. So this might sound counterintuitive, but I like to stop writing when I'm in a beautiful flow and feeling invigorated. So when I get that sense of okay, I'm romping towards the end of this chapter, this is flowing, this feels good. I love this sense of all the words are just coming out, I force myself to stop because that way, I don't stop thinking about that feeling, and I want that feeling back, and that sense of a chapter being unfinished or a thought being broken before I can get it all down on the page is so painful that I am itching to sit back down and write again. Whereas if I stop neatly at the conclusion of a chapter or the end of an opinion piece, the motivation for me to get back to writing isn't there, because I feel complete and I don't feel that that sort of unfinished self. So that really helps me. And I also try and remind myself not doing it very well at the moment, but I try and remind myself that writing is a muscle. And you know, Mia Friedman taught me this when I first started working at MoMA. Mia, that writing is a muscle and you've got to work it. You've got to work it out the same way you work out your physical muscles. And if you don't lift weights for six months, if you don't write an opinion piece for six months, or you don't write part of your novel for six months, or you don't write for children for six months, and then you sit down to do that project, well, you're going to be out of shape. But the more you write, the easier it becomes. And I think that discipline is what gets me to my best writing. And I don't exhibit it all the time, but my best writing comes when I've been writing every day and I've been doing it for some time.
Speaker 2: That makes so much sense.
Speaker 1: And when you are working on a project like a book or a chapter or something like that, how do you go about like pacing yourself or do you have systems in place to get you to reach the target or the deadline on time?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do. I'm a real systems person, and I like mini deadlines because I'm motivated by getting a pat on the head regularly, not just a big pat on the head at the end. So at the moment, I'm working on a book where my publisher and I have set out a big Excel spreadsheet with due dates every fortnight for the next twelve months for different sections of chapters, and I do my best to hit them. So every second Monday she gets four thousand words or three thousand words, whatever it might be. And I hold myself to that because if I think about the deadline as a whole, I get quite overwhelmed with how much I have to do. But if I set the deadline in small chunks, they feel more achievable. I've been working on a podcast for Future Women recently, and that podcast is really complicated and has literally hundreds of guests who we've spoken to and so many bits and pieces. So we created this huge spreadsheet and we colored the whole spreadsheet red and slowly by bit, every day, another box goes green as we do another interview, or we edit something, or we script something, or we send that off for the next stage, or it gets checked through legal or approved by a client. And I get enormous satisfaction out of watching the red turn orange and the orange turned green. It gives me a sense of achievement.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Yeah, that sounds wonderful. I'm imagining the picture in my head, and that is a lot of people to speak to or interviews to conduct. I'm curious with their volume. Do you have tricks that you use to build rapport really quickly with the people that you're having on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really great question. Yes it feels really manipulative, but yes I do. I not always, but I am often asking people when I interview them to make themselves quite vulnerable. I'm asking them to share something that's happened to them that is hard, or is difficult, or is upsetting. And I don't think you can ask a stranger to do that and to expose themselves in that way to you unless you're willing to do the same thing. So, whether it makes the final letit or not. I often speak about my own experiences, my own difficulties, and I think that shared vulnerability creates a level of connection and a level of warmth and a level of permissiveness to share things you might not otherwise have shared before. Just a few months ago, I was interviewing Danny Minogue for the Weekend Briefing. And I've met Danny once before, but you know, we certainly don't know each other well in any way, and we sat down for this interview, and she is someone who you know, is interviewed every day of a life. So it's one of the challenges with an interview like that, is, well, how do you get something new and something interesting that her fans haven't heard before because they can listen to her on so many platforms with so many different interviewers, And that particular day. We talked a lot about motherhood and the realization of knowing you're pregnant and the uncertainty that comes with that and the excitement at the same time, and she ended up sharing an experience that she'd had, which was during the UK phone hacking scandal, and because a story about her pregnancy was going to be splashed all over the front pages of the UK papers before she had even told her family, she had to call her family in Australia and wake them up and tell them she was pregnant in this horrible moment, and she, you know, she spoke about having that joyous moment stolen, that telling your mom and your dad and your sister and your brother that you're going to have a baby should be a glorious, warm family memory, but for her it had to be this rushed phone call where she was full of fear and she just had to get off the phone to get back to the lawyers. And we talked about how that felt like it had been stolen from her, and she spoke so beautifully and eloquently, and I didn't know at the time, but she hadn't spoken about that before publicly, and I think the reason she was willing to was that we'd shared that vulnerability of what it feels like to be a new mum and what it feels like to be pregnant and unsure and scared for the first time. And I'm not sure we would have gotten to that story if she hadn't felt safe.
Speaker 2: Now ed is she is a big part of what you do.
Speaker 1: And I love the book that you've just put out, work Love Body, which he edits it with Helen McCabe. And I feel like you know, and I think I don't know if like you know, people appreciate that.
Speaker 2: There's like editing is so different from writing. It's such a different craft.
Speaker 1: And I want to know, like, how did you become a better editor? How did you improve that skill set?
Speaker 3: I think you just got to keep doing it. I do think the best editors are people who are writers as well, because I think if you don't, if you're not practicing your writing and remembering the difficulties and the challenges of writing, you find it harder to edit at your best. For me, I am someone who's very focused on the audience. I think I am good at cutting away all the bullshit sorry that exists around the edge of writing the fear of or what if the media read it? Or what if my family read this? Or where what if people know that already? Or what if I need to use this word to impress people. I'm good at kind of pushing all of that away and working with someone and their writing, so we just think about who they're writing for, and we don't think about all the mess around it. We just think about their audience and what their audience might or might not know. We tried not to assume knowledge. We try not to approach the main point tentatively and slowly and in a roundabout fashion, but just get to it. Make the point, get in there, and get there quickly and effectively, and make the audience understand what we understand. I do think that no matter how good an editor you are, you can't edit yourself. And everyone needs an editor. And one of the tragedies of online publishing the last few years is that there's so little money and space for that now. So often I'll write a column for online and I just get an email back saying this is great, and then it's online ten minutes later. And that might feel good the first couple of times, but after a while you realize that it would be so much better if if someone had the time to spend with you to make it better.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I couldn't agree more.
Speaker 1: Like I do a bit of writing, and one of the places I'm writing for quite regularly at the moment is Harvard Business Review, And unlike all the other places I write for, there'll be around three to four rounds of edits, and it is like it's so wonderful.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's like it's sometimes slightly soul crushing.
Speaker 1: Because you just go, oh, it wasn't that bad, but you know, just sort of where it gets to after those three or four rounds of editing, it makes such a big difference.
Speaker 2: So you say that we.
Speaker 1: Can't edit our own work, Like, why why can't we? What do we do if we've written something, you know, whether that be an important report for work or speech or.
Speaker 2: Something like that. You know, is there anything that we can.
Speaker 1: Do to improve what we've done?
Speaker 3: I mean, you can always edit your own work to an extent. I think if you're a writer who doesn't, that's a problem. But the best editors are people who are external because they can see things that you can't see. We've all got our own blinkers, and there are things we miss when we're writing just for ourselves. I don't think the editor that you see has to be someone who's trained or who's a professional. I think it can be someone who cares and who's invested. I always get a whole bunch of people to read my books. I get my formal editors to read them, whether it's a Future Women book with Hachet or one of my own books with Penguin or Puffin. I always have my editors read them, of course, but I try to have friends, I have family read sections of them. I send things that are relevant to friends with legal backgrounds, friends who have gone through a similar emotional experience. I draw on their own interests and the things that have happened to them in their lives that mean that they can bring a perspective. My sister, who is a children's performer, is an extraordinary editor. She often sort of takes me out of the sort of writery, you know, the sort of esoteric stuff that we can get caught up with, and goes, sorry, what are you talking about? What does that work mean? Why are you saying that? And she's so good at that, she's such a clear communicator because she's used to communicating with little children. So I don't think an editor has to be a professional editor. I think there are so many people in your life you can draw on, and there are writers groups and writers' rooms you can join where you can get strangers who are interested in writing and who are good writers to comment on your work, and I think all of that commentary is what helps make it the best it can be.
Speaker 1: We will be back with Jamilla very soon talking about how being diagnosed with a brain tumor completely changed the way she approached her work.
Speaker 2: And now, if you're.
Speaker 1: Looking for more tips to improve the way that you work, I write a short fortnightly newsletter that contains pretty cool things that I've discovered that helped me work better, which range from interesting research findings through to gadgets and software that I'm loving. So if you would like to receive that, you can sign up for that at Howiwork dot cod That's how I Work dot c O. Are there certain questions that you ask people when you're getting them to edit your work and they're not an editor per se, Like, are there specific things that you're asking your editors in inverted commas to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so with future Women's new book, which is called Work, Love Body, and editing that one, but also contributing my own chapter for it. My first opening chapter is about the experience of Melbourne's second wave at the end of twenty twenty, looking at women's experience of the pandemic. And I'm looking at that experience almost like if you can imagine holding up a little crystal that catches the light that looks different from every angle. You hold it up and you walk around it, and you're in exact from the top and from the bottom, and from the sides and diagonally, and then you do it again in case the sun's changed. That's what I was trying to do with my writing. I was trying to explore women's experiences of the pandemic from every angle and every facade, So considering what it was like for women who were nurses, who were nursing patients, but also at the same time considering the experience of that patient, and then what was the experience of that patient's sister, What was the experience of that patient's mother who lived on the other side of the country, What was the experience of the mother who perhaps lost work during that pandemic, or the mother who gave up work to stay at home with her kids and is missing it, or the woman who was doing IVF who had to stop her search for motherhood because it wasn't an option. So that was the kind of writing I was doing. And for me, I always try and make my writing inclusive, So I'll often ask people who've had different experiences, is where I've touched on your experienceerience? Does it feel authentic? If I haven't touched on your experience, where are the gaps that you see? Because all of us write read with our own prism of knowledge, and so we see gaps according to what we've lived, not according to what the writer has lived. I will often ask people where they stood up for the first time to get a drink of water or to do something else, like where did I lose them? I often ask them to underline passages that felt strongest, the lines that stayed with them, Particularly with big chunks of data or research, I often ask, tell me where you sort of stop taking this in, where it stopped being compelling or convincing. And one of the things I find when people write, and I'd certainly do it, is that we often take a little while to get started. So often when you're working with someone's work for yours, for example, working with someone who's writing maybe ay fifteen hundred two thousand words for a publication, you'll have a look at it and then you'll say, Okay, you really warmed up and you got started at about four hundred words. So why do we have the first four hundred Are they important? And if they're not, what does this essay or contribution or opinion piece look like if we just delete four hundred words, Why don't we just start at the most important bit rather than kind of go for a little walk around the garden before we get to the front door.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that reminds me of advice I got from Sarah Green Carmichael. I think she's at Bloomberg now, and she said, you know, stop the throat clearing. She'll often just delete the first two paragraphs of a piece.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, I know you talk about just the critical importance of that first paragraph.
Speaker 1: And I must say, the introduction that you wrote to work clove body like it hooked me in. It's so good at doing that with your writing. What are the things that you're thinking about when you're crafting that first paragraph, how can we be as.
Speaker 2: Hooky as you?
Speaker 3: That's really lovely, you know. Of course, it depends on the kind of writing and the kind of work you're doing. But I tend to follow a very rough model of micro macro micro again, so I try to start with the personal, whether it's my personal or someone else's. I try to speak to an experience that will feel like it could have been yours as the reader, So something that has an element of universality. So in workloff Body, for example, I talk about traveling to Camera for Christmas to see my family for the first time in almost nine months because of the pandemic, and the kind of the bits and pieces that happen at Christmas, you know, the past, the prawns and shall we have another slice of pie? Or should we do the crackers now or should we do them later? And that kind of thing. So what I'm doing there is trying to set a scene that is my scene. It's a personal scene, but it's a scene a lot of people can relate to, even if they didn't travel the same way I did to the same place or have Christmas with my family. You know, most Australians celebrate Christmas in some form, religious or otherwise. Even if they didn't, most people get together with family at the end of the year. Many of us were prevented from seeing our family during twenty twenty and that was this sense of reunion, but a somewhat dole in reunion because it wasn't quite as joyful as we would have wanted to be, because the pandemic wasn't over. There was sort of almost this pause in Australia, is it going to be okay? Now? So we were almost pretending to do what we always did every year. And so for me, what I was trying to do there is, yes, capture the universal experience, but also without saying it, capture that thought that everyone's had, which is what a joyous, wonderful Christmas? But is it really the same? You know, I think a lot of us are thinking that right now. You know, we're all looking to the end of the year in twenty twenty one, is this sort of great day of everything's going to go back to normal now? The truth is we're all wondering in the back of our heads what is normal and are we ever going to get back to normal? So I think it's setting a scene. It's looking for that universality of the personal and tapping into that unspoken thought that hooks people in. I then go from that to the macro. So instead of talking about me and my Christmas, I go bigger. I talk about women's experience of the pandemic and how it impacted women differently at work, at home, with their families, their health, their mental health, whatever it might be. And then once I've made my broader point on that exploration, I try to come back. Sometimes it's to the same personal story, sometimes it's to a different personal story, but I come back to myself or the person I was talking about at the beginning, and I kind of go full circle with what's happened to them now.
Speaker 1: Something that I've heard you talk about and write about a bit is your experience with being diagnosed with a brainshumor, which, like I just kind of even begin to imagine what the last part of your life has been like with that, And I want to know how how did that experience change the way you approached work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it would be different for everybody. You know, there's that cliche of people having a life changing moment like I had being diagnosed and wanting to change their whole life, right going. If I live through this, I'm never going to do this again. I'm you know, I'm going to I'm going to sell everything I own and go travel around the world, or you know, I'm going to leave my partner and what you know, whatever it might be like a change like that, it becomes this reckoning. Right for me, it absolutely wasn't for me. It was a really stark realization of how desperately I wanted to be alive, to live the life I already had. I didn't any want to change things. I just wanted to be Jeremy's wife and to be rough his mum, and to be mims sister, And I wanted to keep being the life that I was living because it's such a meaningful, exciting, joyful one. And I have the privilege of this incredible job that gives me such freedom to do stuff I love. So for me, yeah, it had changed my approach to work because I think it made me realize how lucky I am to do what I do, not how lucky I am to have gotten here because I worked hard and I think I'm good at my job, but not everyone gets to do what they love to earn a living. And I think it also provided an impetus to slow down a little bit, to do the same work, but to cut myself some slack, to stop running at one hundred miles an hour, because the reality was that my body can't do that anymore. That I had to find ways to be efficient, to be effective, to do the work that matters to me, to do the good work, so to speak, but to do it in a way that is sustainable for a disabled body that isn't capable of doing what it used to.
Speaker 2: Was some of the habits that you had to unlearn, if you like.
Speaker 3: Trying to do too much all at once, traveling constantly, and look, the pandemics led to some of that down as well. But you know I now can't. You know, I can't do five cities in a week on a book tour anymore. You know, before that would make me exhausted, sure, but it wasn't going to put me in hospital. I can't do the physical exhaust exertion of like ten meetings in the city, go go, go all day, go from a speech to another presentation, to a meeting, to this to that, stay out for dinner and drinks, and party all night. My body's not up to that anymore. I have quite significant memory loss. So it means I also have some changes to my work around, just processes that make sure that I show up for this podcast conversation, you know. And those processes have to be more thorough and more intricate than they used to be, because for me, if it's not in my diary, it's not going to happen. If I don't take notes, then I'm not going to remember. I need to be more strict about how I use my time and energy.
Speaker 1: What other like, what do those systems look like like with you know, COVID with memory loss for someone I imagined had a very good memory prior, like, what are some of the things that you found most helpful?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I try very hard to make sure my meetings go for fifty five minutes instead of an hour. So I try not to do back to back meetings. I always try and give myself a couple of minutes where I can stand up, review the notes, go for a walk, clear my head, let the memories stick to the extent they're going to be able to stick before I come back to something. Just running meeting after meeting after meeting, I start to not take in the information. My team are extraordinary. So the people I work with and the people who work for me are so good at catching me. All of the meetings that I attend at work, someone will be taking notes, Someone will summarize the meeting and email them afterwards, and I always attach that to the diary invite, so I can always go back and recall what happened. I get up in the morning, first thing, I look at my calendar for the day. I go and I make my son breakfast, I feed the dog, and then I look at my calendar for the day. I have a shower, and I look at my calendar for the day. So I keep looking at it until it's squarely in my mind. And I think the big one is I write everything down. I have a very intricate system of lists and notes and reminders and shared calendars, and that means that I can pretty much imitate how I used to be.
Speaker 2: I would imagine that your self taught probably had to change a lot from being someone it sounds like who was working crazy hours and you know, just having so many things on the go to really having to slow down, Like what, how did your self talk change to get comfortable with that huge shift.
Speaker 3: I think that's probably still a work in progress. I think I'm not as kind as I could be. I'm still working on that. But I think I don't know if you've heard of spoon theory, but that that has really helped me. The story is that there there was a woman who was at dinner. She had serious chronic illnesses with her friends one night and one of them said something, and she said, oh, it's hard to explain. It's hard to explain what it's like to be sick. And they said, try us, try us, like, try and try and teach us, try and show us what it is to be sick. You know, of course we can't know it, but we want to know the best we can. We're your friends. Anyway, she went to the kitchen and she pulled out all the spoons from the kitchen drawer and brought them back to the table and laid them out, and she said, okay, so which of you has twelve spoons for the day, and you've got twelve spoons, you might use one spoon up getting up in the morning, getting the kid's food, feeding the dog, getting dressed, having a shower, getting out the door and getting to work might take another spoon to get through the commute. You might need four spoons to get through your meetings in the morning, three spoons to get through the big presentation in the afternoon, another spoon to get home on the commute, two spoons to get through the evening being with your family, and you've got a couple of leftover when you go to bed. There are some days you might use up close to all the spoons. There are some days you might only use five or six of them, so you've got a lot left in the tank. There are days where I wake up and I've got three spoons, not twelve, And so when you've got three not twelve, you have to be judicious with how you use them. And on those days you have to make decisions that other people don't have to bake because energy is so precious, and what you can and can't do in the midst of pain or exhaustion or low blood pressure or whatever it might be, it's different. It's different to other people.
Speaker 2: And how do you make those decisions.
Speaker 3: I think it's a lot about prioritizing and coming back to your core priorities and letting them guide what you're going to do that day. So, for example, after my craniotomy, I had very very little energy, but it was my second brain surgery, and I knew that I wanted to prioritize my son during that period because after my first brain surgery, I sort of separated myself from him. I was worried about scaring him or not being up to looking after him, and I think that at the time probably damaged our relationship a little bit. So the second time around, after my craniotomy, I threw everything at him that was my priority. If I only had one spoon for the day, my one spoon was playing Transformers on the bed with my son, you know, and maybe that took priority over getting up out of that bed that day. So I came back to what my core priorities are, and they change over time, not hugely, but I think they do change. You know. At the moment, I'm really trying to prioritize my hunt's son's homeschooling, trying to prioritize my work at Future Women, which I love and it's so important, and I'm trying to prioritize my health. And I don't think those things are going to radically change anytime soon, but your priorities do change, and I think coming back to sorry what you do doesn't always reflect what the priorities are. And so I think coming back to them and going is it really worth expending my energy on this when I don't have unlimited amounts of it is a really good practice, whether you're unwell or well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely something I heard when I I don't think this was even just in the research that I was doing for this interview. I think I listened to it a couple of months ago, just coincidentally, was hearing you on Ladies We need to talk talking about the power of female friendships. And I really loved that episode and I loved what you had to say, and I was curious about how do you go about building new friendships as an adult?
Speaker 3: Hey, you've just got to be open, right, Like I think little when you watch kids, they're so good, Like my son will just walk up to someone at the playground and say do you want to be friends? Do they say yeah, and they get on with it. I'm you know, when does an adult do that? I think we're so cautious and we're so careful about friendships, and it's almost like putting effort into it a new friendship is uncool. I don't think it's uncol I think it's really cool. I love people who are open and honest and follow up, and a number of my very good friends are friends I've made us adults friends who I've had a single work interaction with, but they followed it up with an email or I followed it up to say, let's hang out, let's go out to lunch, let's do something together, let's see where this relationship goes, rather than having a single work interaction and not speaking to one another again. I think when you have that moment with someone, it's the same as a romantic moment, you know when you've clicked with someone, when someone is someone, when someone is a person you want to spend more time with, who you're attracted to as a mate, who you are excited by his conversation makes you think in different ways and explore new horizons. I think that the pressure is on, and the pressure comes from feeling like you have to be restrained. I just recommend diving on in and trying to hang out with someone that you enjoy spending time with.
Speaker 1: I love that and being like your son. That's such a beautiful idea. That You've worked for some amazing leaders during your career, and i'd love to know what are the best pieces of advice that you've received that have stuck with you to this day.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of very industry specific and have a lot of swearing, and they're probably not appropriate to share right now, but I certainly learned a whole lot when I worked in politics from both Minister Kalis, who I worked for for many years, and Kevin Right who was Prime Minister, and particularly his team of advisors, who I had a lot more to do with because I was the junior baby on the team. And I think you know what I took away from working in politics was a sense of pragmatism, was a sense of not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, of moving slowly in order to take people with you. I'm someone with a tendency to rush, but taking slow and deliberate steps towards a goal and biding your time will often make it more likely that you'll achieve it.
Speaker 2: Now, I imagine that you are a big, voracious reader, and I would love to know what what books.
Speaker 1: Have changed your thinking the most over the last few years.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I think you know. Look, there's been a whole lot in different spheres of my life. Probably I read Louise urd Richard's The Roundhouse, which has a meditation on fear and the impact of fear on our lives that I think has really helped me get through multiple surgeries and sort of you know, being up front and close and personal with death a bunch of times. The work of Amani Hater here in Australia more recently, who wrote The Mother Wound that was about is about her experiences following the murder of her mother by her father and her adjustment of thinking and how she has dealt with grief and what that has meant for her life and the course of her life, and how she mothers have lost her mother in such a violent and deliberate and devastating act.
Speaker 1: Now, four people that are wanting to connect with you in some way and also get their hands on a copy of work, Love Body.
Speaker 2: What is the best way for people to do that?
Speaker 3: Well. One of the joys of having a somewhat unusual name means I'm very easy to find on social media, So I am Jamila Risbee on all the social channels except for Snapchat because I am not that cool. And then you can find Worklove Body from the sixteenth of September in all good bookstores and online via book Toopia, and it's got a beautiful pink cover. You can't miss it. And I think there are so many women who've lived through the last period of the pandemic and have found that it has changed them in a myriad of ways. The same is true for the women whose experiences are reflected in this book. And I think you'll find a lot of yourself and a lot of the women you know in this book, and I think ultimately it will be both comforting and uplifting.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Jamilla, thank you so much for your time today. I've so loved this chat, having admired your work from afar for many years, so thank you.
Speaker 3: Well, that's very kind. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: I hope you liked my chat with Jamilla, And if you are not a subscriber or follower of How I Work, now might be the time to do so, because next week I'm so excited to share my interview with one of my heroes, Phil Libban, who is the co founder of ever note software that I use many many, many times a day, and I chat to Feel about a whole bunch of things, including talking about his process for growing a business and making tough decisions. How I Work is produced by Inventing with production support from Dead Sets. The producers for this episode were Jenna Koder and Liam Redon. And thank you to Matt Nimba, who does the audio mix for every episode and makes everything sound so.
Speaker 2: Much better than it would have otherwise. See you next time.