Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week.
Speaker 2: Am I how would I describe a television set, oh Man.
Speaker 3: From a headline grabbing point of view, the hack producer me says one hundred percent put him in.
Speaker 2: Welcome back guys to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great questions.
Speaker 1: The show's about the game. There's a lot of great television out there in Australia.
Speaker 2: But I've also got to go behind the scenes with writers. The truth is, when I started writing it, it wasn't had nothing to do with the news and casting agents.
Speaker 3: They know from a casting point of view what they need.
Speaker 2: And editors because that's what we do as editors where storytellers them. Not to forget some incredible executive producers who are making some of the best TV content in Australia. I have been on the program since the beginning and it's kind of in my DNA. So thanks for joining me each week and I hope the podcast continues to give you real insight into the magic of television. Today. On the podcast, I have Kirsty and Jesse, who have proven to be a strong competitor on this year's massively successful season of The Block. Fans versus Favorites. Channel nine has served up a showdown of epic proportions in twenty twenty one. As Australia's most successful renovations reality program, The Block grew the ratings to epic proportions and no one will be forgetting today's guests in a hurry together. Since they were sixteen and married for seven years, Kirsty and Jesse are a rock solid couple. Whatever they do, they give one hundred percent and being on the Block was no different. Coming from humble beginnings, they saw the competition as a huge opportunity to get ahead in life and very soon we will see them go to auction. Today we'll talk about their time on the show, their relationships with the other houses, and is Jesse a gay porn star from McDonald's diets to their thoughts on the negative comments online. We will get a front seat to the final fullhouse reveal this Sunday. However, let's get started with today's episode. I'd like to welcome Kirsty and Jesse from the Block to this week's TV reload.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I do feel sorry for Tenure Better because the amount of hate they've copped online is just out of this world.
Speaker 2: After twelve weeks of building the.
Speaker 1: Block block, they've already admitted they were just scared of getting kicked off the show using two thousand liters of paint.
Speaker 3: The headline makes it out like Jesse's been on gay porn sites.
Speaker 4: Our blockads A completed a whopping eighty eight crews.
Speaker 1: It took a while for me to get comfortable in front of a camera.
Speaker 3: It all comes down to this, the last week on the Block twenty twenty one. One thing that we knew if we could get on it would literally change our lives.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, how are you going good? Doing really well? And I have to start by saying congratulations on your house this season, I mean leading up to the final reveal. Are you proud of what you've been able to achieve so far?
Speaker 3: We are so so proud. We're actually in the blockhouse right now, gearing up waiting for auctions, and we just look around and we go, wow, this is amazing, Like we just literally cannot believe from where we've come from.
Speaker 1: What we've been especially in twelve weeks, you know, and a house this flash. We'd never even been in anything this fancy, you know, so too.
Speaker 3: Like we literally shopped that came up before the block.
Speaker 1: That's it. Yeah, so yeah, we see super proud mate.
Speaker 2: I think it's really interesting with there being favorites coming back, you know, people that are already established, it seems like, oh, you gravitate towards them to start with. But you guys with a sort of slow and steady race that came up and now everyone's talking about you. Is that kind of how you felt as well, like that you just were sort of slowly creeping up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, I kept saying, you know, in those first original weeks when we were doing like a guest bedroom, I was like, I'm not going to waste my best ideas on a guest bedroom, and I'm not going to waste all our budget.
Speaker 1: And we knew we had such biggest bases coming up, like backyard especially that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we knew that where we wanted to put our money would be like the kitchen and the backyard and our basements. So yeah, we did start out slow and steady, and I think we probably weren't so much competition in the beginning, and it's funny now seeing we've come second on the leaderboard only by a few points. So we're really proud because we're huge fans of what the Favees do, and it's funny for us watching it back and seeing, you know, some of the things that you know, someone like Ronnie will say and I sit there and laugh, and I think for someone that always talks about how great they are in the competition and that they're the best, they're worried about what we're doing quite a lot. So it's actually funny for us.
Speaker 1: As a compliment. If they're worried about us, then yeah, we'll take it as a compliment, so they should be.
Speaker 2: What was the most surprising thing though about the filming process of the show.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess you go into it us, especially never done any kind of reality TV before, you just don't realize how full on it is. Like we used to sit at home and watch and we would kind of make fun of the contestants sometimes and go, what are these people crying about? Oh my god, they're crying about title choices, Like, surely there's bigger things going on in the world out there, but you don't realize just how hectic it is on the show, and how little sleep you survive, on.
Speaker 1: Just how overwhelming it is just having four or five crews of cameras and producers just constantly around you and on you and say, if you start to sleep up and make a mistake, more cameras arrive. So it was just really overwhelming and just all the pressures involved in that. I just wasn't prepared at all, mate. It was just really overwhelming, and you mix up with no sleep at all, being stressed and just stressed and instant decisions, you know, like you'd have three or four suppliers lined up one after another and they're saying, Okay, you've got till two o'clock to day to tell us where every skylight in this house is going. I'm like, mate, I haven't even got a floor plan yet. I don't even know where the rooms are. And he goes, well, figure it out.
Speaker 3: I remember when we had to measure our kitchen up and we're literally measuring dirt outside. I'm like, how we meant to measure where these kitchen cameras are going? We don't even have walls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So all those pressures, it was just overwhelming, is how i'd explain it.
Speaker 2: I just love that when the cameras turn up, that's sort of a sign. It's either things are going really well or they're going really bad.
Speaker 1: That's it. Yeah. So Ronnie especially was always chasing the camera. He loved it, And every time I saw a camera, I'm like, oh no, there was something bad's about to happen, you know, Like he just he loves the camera. I'm just down polar opposite.
Speaker 2: Well, Jesse raise a good point there because I was talking to a girlfriend of mine who's a blockhead. I didn't know what a blockhead was, but apparently I am one, and she was saying, you know, Jesse, you looked probably the quietest when it came to the confessionals. She said to me, I guarantee you that Jesse would be the best to go out on the piss with.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I pumped up a little bit when I'm on the turps mate that I think just being on the show, I was probably only about forty percent of myself, you know, just because you're just so exhausted and tired, and.
Speaker 3: You're not the biggest talker at the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I'm not the biggest talk at the mess of times, so then you mix out with no sleep and the exhaustion. Yeah, I just turned in this little old man. That's just yeah. I didn't talk too much.
Speaker 2: I just think that there's such a genuine affinity between the two of you which comes across like even just talking to you now, which made great television, you know, it made great TI because I think it felt real as well. There was a couple of points where I think, Kirsty, you were saying about Paulie or you made a comment about him. I don't know, maybe I read into it a little bit. And one of my aunties said to me, she was like, well, she can't say that about another bloke in front of him, And I was like, well she can, because I think if you're in a real relationship and you're confident about what the relationship is and how it's working, you can kind of say that kind of stuff, right.
Speaker 3: I would hit on Paulie every day. He's so sexy.
Speaker 1: I don't agree, he's a sexy man's I agree.
Speaker 3: Sometimes are we driving along and I'll see Jesse, like, check out a chick that's like running along and I'll say, don't we to go back? And you know, get a number for you. We've been together for sixteen years now, and we're just so close in our relationship that I feel like I should be able to say anything to Jesse and the same with him. There's never anything like I would say to a girlfriend that I wouldn't say to Jesse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a really good quote. I think it was on Secret Life of Us years ago and Deborah Mailman said to her boyfriend who checks someone out? She said said, oh, sorry, I shouldn't have done that, And she said, no, that's good. It just means that you've got blood flowing through your body, you know what I mean, Like you're alive.
Speaker 3: That's not really human.
Speaker 2: This season, you know, there really was probably the most dramatic season of the block in history. Do you guys feel like you stayed out of a lot of that.
Speaker 3: We tried to stay out of the drama as best we could, and I think we really did in the majority of it. But in the last couple of weeks, we you know, other contestants tried to drag us into some of the drama.
Speaker 1: But and the only drama eventuator when people would sort of almost attack us, and Cursey is super defensive of us. So she was just defending us and she wasn't going out searching for drama or anything like that. It was only when we got put into a corner that drama would happen around us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's only when people really started to realize that we were competition, I think. But yeah, we did try to stay out of the dramas as much as possible because number one, we just didn't have time to get involved in it. You know, we're just we would say, how are these other people going out and you know, doing actual fun things going and playing, yeah, bolleyball and stuff like that. We didn't have any spare time at all.
Speaker 1: So I think I left the house. Yeah, probably about five times in the whole show. So it's been fascinating for me to watch us to watch because like, I didn't see any of that carry on that happened out on that side of the street. I just it's just it's been fascinating for me to watch, like everyone at all.
Speaker 2: How did you feel I was sort of on top of all these budget issues that were happening, you know, you obviously both have been really stressed about that, but then to have Luke last week sort of come out one of the twins come out and try and call you about saying that the producers were helping you out with this money. I mean, how did that make you feel?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I was really disappointed in that. Obviously we saw that, and friends were sending us the stories that they were posting, trying to say that we will give an extra money, and the show's trying to cover it up, which is just laughable. And you know, we're watching this show going, well, how are these guys actually affording where they're getting the money from to change all their rooms around? And we don't actually know where this is coming from. Like, the reason we were so stressed in those last couple of weeks is because we literally ran out of money. Like in front yard week, we literally had to send all of our landscapers home after I think they too, and it's just us and our one main landscaper and PAULI a build up while he's touching up other stuff inside the house and trying to help us in the front yard. I do, honestly don't know where that's come from, being I.
Speaker 4: Don't blame them. You're probably going to have to give them money to be able to finish their backyard and their property. That's why we're all upset, okay, because it was obvious to us that the Hallway week was given to them for this reason, So they haven't saved at all. There was a huge expense.
Speaker 3: It's actually funny to have a look at their domain listing and see how much their house.
Speaker 1: Has changed changed since when they left it.
Speaker 3: And you're like, this is really confusing, you know, so it's actually quite laughable. Who it's actually coming from.
Speaker 2: Well, it comes down to that old scenario. You know, if someone's if you're worried about your partner cheating on you, it usually means that you're cheating yourself. So like when it came down to him talking about the producers help that you were getting it, it kind of made me feel like, well, what are you guilty of? Like what if the producers helped you with you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, hundred percent. I've always said, you know, those that do that are often deflecting from themselves. And that's why I found it funny when they actually first accused us of cheating and wanted an audit, I was thinking, you know, they weren't worried about any team's cheating in the beginning when it actually when the cheating benefited them, But all of a sudden, now that they think that they're cheating going on and it's not benefiting them, they're all worried and wanting to make sure that you know, everything's above board.
Speaker 2: Well, they make great television, but I just thought the breathing of him on that video that he made was like, you know, like it's like because they're so young, and they just remind me of kids in a way. You know, like when kids come into the room and they're trying to get themselves out, they do the breathing, they're like yeah, and then they did this and then.
Speaker 1: They yeah, no, I get that made. But yeah, I don't think twenty seven is Yeah, everyone goes either. But they're only young. But you've got to remember our bill to Paulie is younger than them. So when you're putting them two together and you see what part a wise old Paulie is and he's younger than them, Yeah, I don't think they can play on the we're just young card.
Speaker 2: What was the most shocking thing that you saw watching the showback kind of as a viewer, I.
Speaker 1: Think for me, especially when Kursey's then passed away and we had to leave for the funeral, and then everyone we come back and you could just feel it because on Sundays we had to be together and just walking past people on the street like they'd be throwing daggers at.
Speaker 3: We didn't being really weird towards us.
Speaker 1: I don't know what's going on, And that was obviously because of the backyard, and they all sort of started to turn on us, and it was just a really hard yeah to take, I guess seeing what they said about especially when we're at Yeah kurse and the funeral, I thought that was just really disappointing.
Speaker 3: And yes, especially you know a lot of things Ronnie said, especially we thought we were really good, like we are good friends with them still, but at the time watching it back some of the things he said, we're like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: And that's why we really loved about Mitchell Mark. You know, they just come straight up to us and say like, what's going on here? We don't understand, and we'd explain ourselves and they makes sense.
Speaker 3: It literally comes touts and said, yeah, are you guys cheating?
Speaker 1: Yes, So I'd always rather someone stabby in the chest and then in the back you know, so Mitch and Mike would always just come straight to you, but everyone else's sort of seemed to be talking behind our backs. It was actually no one ever come up and had the chat to us apart from Mitch and Mark.
Speaker 3: There was a whole episode where the boys were talking about trees that apparently we had, you.
Speaker 1: Know, that was another big one there.
Speaker 3: Taken or apparently we got the majority of these trees, and when we were watching it, that was the first we heard about it. No one mentioned the single thing to us about these trees, and as it turned out, they found out it was actually Mitch and Mark they got the majority of the trees. But then they said, oh, but that's okay. We want to see Kirsty and Jesse struggle. And I'm thinking they're saying they want to see a struggle while we're at a funeral, worn about family members, like they really not like us.
Speaker 1: And I don't understand why they hated us so much, because I don't think we ever really. The only thing was Kersey mentioned to them that their builder wasn't Land of Paint in the first ever episode. But if that, if you hate someone so much because of that, that's really nice.
Speaker 2: I don't know from a viewer's perspective. I mean, I think Mitch and Mark I just love them. I think that they come across really well. But in saying that, I'm not going to say that there's any favorites for me personally, because I like people who are kind of a bit evil. Yeah, like as well, like I like the shading, I like the yeah exactly right, Like you kind of love the villains in these sorts of shows said.
Speaker 3: Exact same thing. We actually thank them for being the characters that they are because it's made this show so successful this season. And I'm actually going to put it thank you for them in my album credits when the new album comes out, I'll say thank you Tenure, thank you Josh and Luke.
Speaker 2: They're getting a Christmas card.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely not.
Speaker 2: You know, the Bloc has just grown to be so undefeated in the ratings. Why do you think this show resonates with Australians, you know, seventeen years later, Well, it's.
Speaker 3: Funny that, you know, you read some comments on social media going oh I hate the drama and blah blah blah, and it's like, no, you don't. You love the drama that's why you're watching every week and obviously Strane's love renovating. You know, you've only got to look at Bunnings and Might of ten on a weekend to see how packed that is every single weekend, every public holiday you have, it's always packed. That's what Ozzies are doing.
Speaker 1: To me. It's just fascinating to see that there's actually people out there in the world like that and see how they behave as three pressure. I think people just are intrigued by the personalities. It's just as much as the building side of things.
Speaker 2: Well, we all aspire to buy houses in our lives. I mean, it's one of those checkpoints that we kind of all, you know, I think that's what we're going to do. And then that inherent thing about being a child building a cubby I think really comes into it. And you know, you guys did say you watched the show before. Why did you apply? You know, what was the driving force for that?
Speaker 3: Well, for us, we've been big fans of the show for a long time. We actually first applied back in twenty twelve and we've been applying over the years, like trying to get on. It was it was always this one thing that we knew if we could get on it would literally change our lives forever. You know, we do come from very humble beginnings. My mum was only sixteen when she felt pres with me. My parents were teenagers and there wasn't a whole lot of opportunity for them and for us growing up. You know, my first house was a caravan. Literally, I came home from the hospital to a caravan. And you know, Jesse grew up in humble beginnings as well, with a single mom, and we've always known that if you could get on a show like this, it would just change our lives and set us up forever, and especially having the love for renovating, Jesse always had this goal of buying a house when he was a teenager. We've been together since well sixteen, and it was the one thing he would always talk about. His mum instilled in him that if you're going to get ahead in life, you need to buy a house. And so he started his apprenticeship at sixteen and would say all of his pay every week because obviously he's still living at home with his mum. And by the time we turned eighteen, we had a little deposit there to buy our first house, it was only one hundred and sixty five thousand dollars, but that's what started us off, and you know, kick started our love of renovating and we could see that, you know, it can be life changing. And that very first house that we renovated, it was only one hundred and sixty five hours dollars shack but we ended up making sixty thousand dollars on that and for like twenty year olds at the time, that was amazing. And then that helped us by another house. And you know, we've experienced the highs and loads of renovating. We're definitely not you know, experts at all. We've lost money on renovating houses. And you know, our next house we only made twenty thousand dollars on. And then we renovated Jesse's mum's house for her so she could retire and have a bit of money. She sold that house, and we helped Jesse's dad renovate his house for him because he's just turned seventy and needed, you know, the place to be a bit better for him.
Speaker 1: And a lot of the renovations are nothing like everyone says, Oh they're experts, they've done six houses, but Usually it's just a liquord paint.
Speaker 3: And carpet, new carpet and a second end kitchen, gardens. There's no nothing like the block lit.
Speaker 1: Whatever we can find off gum tree on the side of the road went in. So we're not definitely not seating.
Speaker 3: The next but we actually come into the block thinking, yeah, we've got lots of experience. You know, over fifteen years we've we've renovated six houses, but oh my gosh, we did not know what was in store for us.
Speaker 2: I was kind of picked that you've worn them down. You've applied since twenty twelve, so just keep asking and you're renovating. I wondered whether or not you've been filming your own version of the block and just sending them in to sending the video.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've always said they can't ignore us forever. Like last year, we actually made it. We almost made it on the show. We made the short list, so we went through the whole casting process and you know, it was hopeful that we would make that final cut, but we didn't, which was devastating because you know, it's a big dream of ours and to make it that far and then get the email to say sorry, guys, you weren't successful in making the final cut. I remember I was just like crying every day for like two weeks. But I said, we're not going to give up. They can't ignore us forever. We're on their radar. Now we've made the short list, So let's play apply again and try and you know, show ourselves a bit more and so they can get to know us a bit.
Speaker 1: More and bringing out my personality because I'm pretty dry and I don't have a huge personality, so it took a while for me to get comfortable in front of a camera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it obviously worked because we finally.
Speaker 2: Got on It just makes it that much sweeter though, I.
Speaker 3: Think, yeah, definitely, And I think that's why it's frustrating for some people watching that have been applying themselves trying to get on it, and they do see some contestants that don't take it seriously.
Speaker 1: And millions of people would want to be in our positions, you know, And we understood that that's why we'd work so hard, because it's such an amazing opportunity. I'd never take it for granted and I would never expect to be there.
Speaker 3: We kept telling ourselves it's only three months. It's only three months, Like, you've got to kill yourself working for three months and then we can sleep for a month if we wanted.
Speaker 2: Did the producers tell you what they liked about you and sort of how you were going to be portrayed on the show?
Speaker 3: No, not at all. We had no idea. Yeah, they still have never said anything. You know, when we met with the casting director Lucky, we you know, sort of question him like what are you looking for? And you know, he said, this is like one of the only shows that he casts for that they don't have. We're looking for the beach, We're looking for the bad boys, we're looking for this. Yeah, he said, this is like literally one of the only shows he casts where they're not looking for certain people. And I guess they just see what comes in and go from there.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, what's the strangest story that you've read in the media since now being television celebrities?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, we've read a few. Actually, there's a real funny one today.
Speaker 1: About that one that's embarrassing.
Speaker 3: The headline makes it out like Jesse's been on gay porn sites or something. So the headline was Kirsty is shocked to find her husband.
Speaker 1: On like had shirtless photos on gay babe sites. It was something I couldn't even read it.
Speaker 2: Maybe I changed the algorithm because I've been typing that into all the gay porn sites and now and now people think he's on there because I've just been searching. I'm kidding, I'm not going to Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think that actually came from we did it. We did an interview for Women's Day and the journalist asks me, you know, how do you feel about all this extra attention Jesse's getting from females because you know, he's a good looking guy, and he's such a lovely guy as well. And I said, it's awesome. I always knew that, you know, Australia would fall in him. It just was a matter of time before they realized how awesome he is. And I said, and it's not just females that love him. I said, you know, the guys love him as well. It's so funny to look on Twitter when the show's on and you see Jesse's name trending and they're like, take your shirt off, Jesse.
Speaker 2: I retweeted something and I didn't realize I did it, And I retweeted this photo so I'm going to put a blue wash over it. But basically, Jesse, it was you with no top on, and then I and then I retweeted, but then I interviewed Mitch and Mark the next day and then on the podcast. I left it on the podcast. I really should have edited that because it was goddamn embarrassing, but I was like harassing them. I was like, is he really good looking in real life? And blah blah blah. Anyway, it's I think it's flattering, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'll take it as a column. It's just a little embarrassing.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry about sharing that tweet, by the way, and thank you for coming on the podcast without thinking I'm a total pest, you know. Originally people online felt that the Faves might have had an unfair advantage. Do you think that there were any unfair advantages throughout the series?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say unfair, but there's definitely advantages having done it before. Like I say, now, we not that I think we ever could bring ourselves to do it again, but if we did, I feel like we would sail through it, like just knowing what we know now.
Speaker 1: And it's obviously still challenges that anyone would face on the shade, but just knowing the process and how it works, and just understanding how overwhelming it's going to be. You know where all the shops are, you know you've got to get your orders in by a certain time. You just know the flow. So there's huge advantages of it.
Speaker 3: But wouldn't say they're unfair because then there's also advantages that you know, we were given. We all got to choose our houses first, so that's one of the biggest advantages really, and you know, we obviously chose, we all chose what houses Mitch and Mark would get and Ronnie and Georgia would get. So that's why when we went into that very first challenge, thinking this is the one we have to win, this is the big one, because whatever house we choose is going to set us up for auction.
Speaker 1: Day, and we'd strategically put the phase in the houses there in as well. I knew that going into our thought Ronnie and George are going to be probably our biggest threat because we have similar.
Speaker 3: Similar styles, and so we didn't put them in House too, because that was our second house. That's the house we would have chose if we didn't get House fight, So we said we're not going to put Ronnie and George in that house because we feel they're our biggest competition style wise. So that's why automatically they got the one on the corner. And it's just lucky that the other two fan teams agreed as well. So I don't know if they actually realized it was strategic and all a lot of like yeah, yeah, Rodio, we.
Speaker 2: All worked a plan, you know, just individually. What's the worst thing that you've said in the confessionals?
Speaker 3: Gosh, I don't know. It's actually funny. We watch and we go There'll be little things that I say and then so weird. I get crucified by women online, like ah, she's a nasty little piece of work. Just to being honest. Jesse can say anything's.
Speaker 1: Me, like Ronnie can come around and tear things apart and say smarter us remarks and he's just he's Alaric and he's a funny guy. Curse he's or George Georgia like just that strong female personality. They're just like nasty be its. Yeah, it's just you can say, yeah, I just don't understand what the difference is. It's just a really fascinating thing.
Speaker 3: It's funny to watch it play out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the strong female character. People just can't handle it. Some people just think that, I.
Speaker 3: Think, especially with me, because you know, I'm this little petite thing, and they think that I should be this little, quiet, little cute girl that doesn't speak out of place or speak her mind or anything. I don't know. They must have this image of me in their head, and then when I do speak my mind, they're like, oh, no.
Speaker 2: I think you're being hard on yourself. So look, I'm going to be a counselor Right now, I'm putting my counselor hat on. But I just think you've been because you know what the thing is that you guys are reading so much. It's not that you're being narcissistic or obsessed with yourself, but inherently we read about our own stuff, and then you know, you think, oh, people saying more about you. But if I was to look at it from an outsider's perspective and just watching the show and following what people are saying on social media, sure, yeah, people have said that, you know, you can be a little bit outspoken with things, but I don't think that even compares to some of the criticism that other people have had.
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: I think you've been too yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have been very lucky. I think we've probably been perceived the best. I honestly, I do feel sorry for Teny and Better because the amount of hate they've copped online is just out of this world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not right to attack them in the way they have.
Speaker 3: Especially personally when people say things about their kids and all that sort of family and I don't really think that's called for. And at the end of the day, it's a TV show, Like, seriously, I don't think they realized just how big of a show the Block was, to be honest, and how many people watch, and how roped in people get and they live and breathe it. The fans live and breathe this show like they they love it.
Speaker 2: What's your relationship with them, Like.
Speaker 3: At the moment, we haven't had really any communication with those guys since filming the show. I mean obviously you like like stuff on Instagram and stuff like that, but no, I haven't had any conversations, not like we've Ronnie and Georgia and Mitch Mark where we literally talk on the phone like I speak to Mitch literally every second day on the phone. We've definitely got totally different relationships with House one or two and House three and four, And I mean that's always going to happen. You're never going to have five couples that you know, are all kumbaya and love each other.
Speaker 2: Friendship is what you both put in, and so I think for you guys, you know that's what you both were putting in with Mitchen Mark, and you know, the friendship's there, and so like, I think if people aren't putting that in there, it's not a negative. You don't dislike them, you don't hate them, but it's just about the friendship isn't there because you're both not putting that kind of energy into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, And I think you know, while we're filming the show, we literally hardly ever saw I think we saw a Tenian beta the least amount of time. Like we would see them on Sunday at judging and we'd pass them in the street or we'd you know, when we have to do challenges or something like that. But it wasn't like they were coming over here at nighttime, like Mitchen Mark with a beer and like just having a chat for even like ten minutes. You know, there was none of that. So obviously different relationships are going to form when there just isn't that there from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, the one of the questions that everyone who I spoke to about having this chat with you today, everyone wants to know about your singing. What's going to happen with that? I mean, you've got a real talent there, you know, will you be expanding that after being on the Block.
Speaker 3: It's funny. I've read lots of comments from people going, oh, you know, of course she's going to start a music career national on the Block, And I think start a music career, Okay, well, number one, I've released five aria Chauting albums, I've had millions of streams on Spotify, I've had over ten number one music videos on CMT.
Speaker 2: What to change?
Speaker 3: Shit, I'm not starting a career at all. I'm just obviously expanding on my po And why wouldn't I Like, I'd be very silly not to, you know. I saw comments like, oh, of course she's going to release a song while the show's doing. It's like, well, that's that's my job.
Speaker 2: You just got to own that and be like, of course you're going to capitalize on the block. Just say that back to people.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's literally been my job for the past seventeen years. Do you really expect me to not work just because I'm on a TV show that's airing at the moment? Are you serious? Do you tell Veto who installs blinds, not to go and install blinds, or do you tell me to Mark not to sell candles? Like, of course you're going to try and capitalize on whatever bit of promotion you've got going on. So I just think some people just don't even think before they make some comments.
Speaker 2: Really, that's everyone, that's everyone in the world. Have you filmed and will we find out or do you know about the cheating scandal? We're going to have a revelation.
Speaker 3: We don't ourselves know. Obviously. We feel like it's quite obvious that Tenure took the photo. Like if we had to bet one thousand dollars on something, we would say, Tenya took the photo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we don't have a photo of ten you're taking the photo, so I.
Speaker 3: Can't we don't have proof. I can't bet our life on it. But then you know, we're watching Love Islands snippets, and I think it was Josh came out saying that apparently it does come out, so we're so interested to see these interesting episodes.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I wonder if they had security footagecause they were security cameras in the street. So yeah, there's a particular day when we were filming the TV ad and there was no block crew there at all. It was a Channel nine crew came in to do the tv ad.
Speaker 3: I reckon that's when it's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so but yeah, surely there's some CCTV footage you going in.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know my theory, I've got a theory. Yeah, yeah, Okay. I feel as though they were there and someone said go over there and take a photo like Scottie Cam's things in there, Like whether it was you know, just a runner on the set of filming the promo, like somebody who probably I don't know, or you know, someone's just said, oh, you could go and do that, and they've gone and done it and thought it wasn't such a big deal, and then it's just gotten worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe ID of feel like, you know, they thought it was an okay, thing to do in their mind, because if you're looking at the way they talk about it on the show, they genuinely don't look think that they're guilty, you know what I mean. Yeah, something has given them the belief that it was an okay thing to do hothetically because allegedly we don't even know if they did it, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I get that. But then you think, well, how come they only showed Josh and Luke they didn't show us or the others, Like if it was an okay thing to do, wouldn't you just be like, oh did you guys?
Speaker 1: See Like, yeah, I get this, I don't know obviously, just trying to cover the tracks. Like they've already admitted they were just scared of getting kicked off the show.
Speaker 3: So I would have been scared to get kicked off the show too if that was because.
Speaker 1: It was like a genuine scandal, because it affected the whole twelve weeks on the show, you could imagine that, say, come kitchen week, there's about sixty installers on site because they have to install five massive kitchens in a matter of like a day and a half window. So that's sixty people's lives and families. That's just them in particular.
Speaker 3: For that that week of work, and then that gets changed. And I remember our guy from Carpercourt, you know, he said, when the schedule changed, because they're a major sponsor.
Speaker 1: Of the show, the block has priority.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so then he had. So then when he's scheduled changed, he had to cancel like five grands worth of work just to come in and do carpet that day when he wasn't actually meant to be on the block that week.
Speaker 1: So it's just heaps of people yet the carpet. Imagine those sixty installers having to cancel sixty.
Speaker 2: The ramifications are huge, which means that all those people online that were like, well at the end of the day, Channel line would have set this up, which, by the way, just in the background Channel nine Gods, that's not what I'm saying, but you know, there's just no way they had a budget to then go and pay for all of the ramifications.
Speaker 3: No, definitely wasn't set up by the show, which is what tenure Meter have sort of hinted out a few times now. But no, it was such a headache for everyone, like changing that schedule around it you just wouldn't And obviously it's worked out. It's great content for the show. They couldn't make it up, so you know, they're probably yeah, thanking them also, but also it was a massive pain at the time because months and months going to planning that schedule and planning the challenges and all that kind of thing. So it'd be interesting to see what plays out and if it does actually come out.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, we're two weeks away from the from the auction, so we're going to find out who wins the block. I mean, do you think that it's a good or a bad thing at the moment that everyone online thinks that you guys are going to win.
Speaker 3: Well, it's kind of a lot of pressure as to be honest, like, we're trying not to think about it because obviously there has been contestants in the past that haven't made a lot of money, and that honestly would be devastating if we, i know, to say, oh, we only won ten thousand dollars, but it really would because it cost more than that just to do the show, to give up your life for three months, and.
Speaker 1: The whole time it's airing, we're constantly doing things for the show, so it's not just that three months period.
Speaker 3: It's like giving up nearly a whole year, nearly a whole year your life, so you want to walk away with a substantial amount of money.
Speaker 1: And also at the very start of this, we said that we're going in this trying to win every room, and we want to win the block, like, have never done anything going oh, I'll be happy if for coming forth. That's just not how we work. So we want to win the most.
Speaker 3: And there's ever been one in the block.
Speaker 1: I remember history. Yeah, producer asking us like, oh, how much do you want to win, and we're like, oh, what's a record more than that? That's the goal, Just be honest the best.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, I think, I honestly think our house will sell for the most because I mean it's you can't compare ours is over nine hundred square meter block. You can't make more land on the other houses. But our reserve will be what brings us undone. If our reserve is like so much higher, which we most likely will be, that will depend on whether we actually win the show or not.
Speaker 1: But my argument will be tenure in Verde's house costs three point one million to buy. To buy ours is only two point six six, So we should act technically, we should have the same or lower reserve.
Speaker 2: How do you reckon? We'll go just say it with me. Vision board. I think you need to vision board the shit out of this. You need to be like this is, write down the number and materialize that in your head. I'm not one of those people that I'm now sounding like, but I still think that's the best advice we are at this stage.
Speaker 1: Should we are now those type of people. We've had a million dollars written on their fridge for two.
Speaker 3: Years now and our build a poorly. He is really big on what's the word metifes station. He has actually won a lot of money himself in the past from manifesting money. And the first day he met us, he looked at us and he said, you guys are gonna win the biggest prize that's ever been one on the block, he said, I'm telling you now.
Speaker 1: I think I mean definitely I reckon. It does he because it put you in a good mindset and he're not always negative, and then good things happen.
Speaker 3: When we were trying to get on the block, literally every day I'd walk around the house singing this song We're going on the block. We're going on the We're going on, We're going on the fucking block.
Speaker 2: Well, at this stage, if you don't win the block, who do you think is going to be your toughest competition, Like, who do you think could win?
Speaker 3: It's really hard. I actually think the Twins might. They might surprise everybody, Like they've got a really good position in that cold.
Speaker 1: It's a really good position in the Coulder sack. I think their layout got fixed in the last week because I think they just realized that it wouldn't sell at all.
Speaker 3: And I think if you're into that modern sort of design, there might be a lot of buyers out there that are into that. Obviously, our favorite houses arours. We love the inside of Ronnie and George's, and we love Mitch and Mark's house.
Speaker 1: But who knows, Yeah, who knows. You could get some wacky buyer with lots of money that loves ten vidas, you know, like I never just never know who's going to rush.
Speaker 3: I was willing to pay the most money on the day for the house they want.
Speaker 2: I guess let's not talk about it. It's ruining our vision. No one else wins, no one else matters. Anyway. My last question that I would like to ask is something that I ask all of my guests on the show, and that is what is an amazing story from behind the scenes that we're as an audience might not have seen.
Speaker 3: There's actually a lot of stuff you don't see. One one of my favorite things that happened was Week four, when all the drama broke out, was actually my birthday and we went and filmed a piece where Jesse took me out for dinner that night for my birthday, and the whole way driving there, he made it like, we'll gone to some fancy Scottish restaurant, Scottish restaurant, and I was like what because I'm a really fussy eater, like I literally eat chicken, nuggas and chips like a ten year old. And I was like, I.
Speaker 1: Said, you to this fancy Scottish restaurant and she's like, what's Scottish?
Speaker 3: Like I'm like and I said, I'm going to be gone Macca's draft on the way.
Speaker 1: Home, you guys are better be good, like we're going to get to maccas.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we ended up he ended up taking me to mc donald to McDonald's and when we get there, they are Dan the foreman. You know, he's their dress as a butler. They have a lady plane violin and like serving us like this big, you know, fancy meal and everyone's just stirring. Adison and Mitch and Mitch and Georgia had actually gone in before us and they built me this giant nugget. It was a huge nugget birthday cake.
Speaker 1: It was monster.
Speaker 3: They had a nuggets and had sweet and sour sauce stripped all down the side. And I was like, I loved that. And that was because like I always get tagged in like Facebook means with these nugget cakes, like Jesse has to get you this nugget cake.
Speaker 1: So I finally got one. There was just too much that week, didn't I know.
Speaker 2: I love it though, I mean, do you know what, this is a really good brand endorsement for you because when you both look this good on a strict nugget diet, I think, you know, that's what we said.
Speaker 3: We like he lost ten kilos on the show. I lost five killos and we weren't big people to start off with. And that was with me eating McDonald's every second day and Jesse eating a leader of Connoissan ice cream every night. Yeah, so the show would give us tubs of ice cream.
Speaker 1: And gift cards to McDonald's. I had like unlimited McDonald's. We went to just three three hundred dollars gift cards for macas and we still lost ten killers and five crazy.
Speaker 2: Well that's the stress, Bernie. Well, I just want to say congratulations on your time on the show. To start off with, I'm just gonna be really honest, I was like, Oh, I like these guys. But then by the time I got to the end, I've just been so passionate and I'm just determined, determined for you to win.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And Jesse, when is the calendar coming out?
Speaker 1: The calendar, I'm.
Speaker 3: Said, I'm going to make I need to make money. I'm gonna make money off this boy.
Speaker 2: You got nuggets to buy? No, I would say, there's a lucrative piece of business in there for.
Speaker 1: All right, seat mate, Yeah, I get Paul to help me out with that one.
Speaker 2: Maybe he could be in it.
Speaker 3: He could. I've said, I want to do a calendar with all our trades because we I reckon we had the.
Speaker 2: Poppiest trading steam from what I saw. I think you're right. I think you're right. But anyway, guys, thank you so much for time. It was so fun. It was a fun chat.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having us.
Speaker 1: Thanks mate,