Speaker 1: Christ Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell Show podcast. Shawan is on the Line. I saw your new documentary out on Amazon Prime today so over the weekend, and I loved it. I thought it was brilliant.
Speaker 2: No, thanks very much, mate, I appreciate that. It's some of the stuff we visited and talked about and was thirty years ago. Some of it was twenty years ago. It was a long time. Some of it was pretty brutal. But I think it's my journey. I've been in the public eye for the last thirty two years, so my journey's been a long one and it's still going. Made plenty of mistakes, I've had some great times along that way, played a near of Australian cricket that was the best in the world. So yeah, look, I think the right time to do something like this now that my children are older, you know, turning twenty five, twenty three, and twenty one, so it means I'm old too. But look, it was an interesting process to do and I'm you know, the feedback I'm getting has been pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: I was really surprised by it, Shane. I've got to be honest, and I think a lot of people if they're really honest. I was expecting a kind of brash, sort of greatest hits, because you've had an amazing career. You are one of the greats. You'd always go down as that, And there was that, but there was way more. I found it quite surprising. You're a lot more open and honest than I thought you would be about all of it, not just the successes, but the bits where and you're right, it happens when you get to sort of look back at your life and you can join the dots, and I think you can take You can be not just honest and sort of having a go at yourself, but also talk about regret in a better way, and the chance for heeding. Your relationship with your kids went from obviously really bad it could be any worse, to now you can clearly see the love that you still have for them and the love they have for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look some of the you know, going through divorce is the hardest, even in private. It's a tough time for anyone that has to go through that, and it's a tough time for your children. For me, you know, when I was on all over the news and everyone wanted to judge me about it, and I wanted to comment about it and talk about it. It was on all the front page newspapers. Makes it a lot harder, you know. And that was seventeen years ago. People forget howpened. It's nearly twenty years ago, so to talk about that. And my relationship with the children has always been great. There's been a few times over the journey that have been disappointed in me. They've only ever seen me as dad and they want mum happy, they want dad happy, and we both are now. And there's been lots of tough chats that we've had in private with the children, and you know, it hasn't been easy at times, but at the moment and along that journey, it's always been about respect. And we've got an unbelievable relationship. You know, all my three children, I've got an unbelievable relationship. We have a lot of fun together.
Speaker 1: And what kind of dad? Are you right? Because I got daughters right, they're fifteen and seventeen, and I am terrible at saying no. I am an absolute pushover. I just lived to say yes right. Are you like that as well?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's hard, isn't it. I think parenting, what our parents did to us, we don't want to do to our children. And I think, and I think it goes on like so when my children have children, they won't want to do some of the stuff that I did because I was so strict at times too. But as they've got older, I'm like, come on, I'll try to be really strict at times. And then I go, oh, yeah, okay. They come and see me and they go, oh dad, plea, ok yeah, okay, come on, just this one Stone tell the other two. So I'm a bit of a pushover. Yeah, But I look, being a parent is very rewarding. It's not easy. It's tough, especially being a single parent. It's not easy. But look, it's very rewarding. And having a great relationship with your children is very satisfying. And it's great.
Speaker 1: The bit where they're on the couch together, right and they're all talking about you being the dorky dad. It's lovely to see that, right because obviously when the door shuts, that's what all dads are. You're a dorky dad. And I noticed behind them, Shane, right, there's all these amazing games. Are those dairs?
Speaker 2: No, there I've got a.
Speaker 1: Yours.
Speaker 2: Yes, I've got a man cave, and I saw I couldn't.
Speaker 1: It distracted me. I paused it, and I was so jealous that I wondered whether it was theirs or yours? The amazing What have you got there?
Speaker 2: Well, I've got the old Space Invaders machine, which I think has got one hundred and something different games like a La Glaxicons, pac Man, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, So I've got one of them. And then I've got Lethal Weapon, Pinball, I've got Ninja Turtles. I've got a poker table, I've got a billiard table and all that it is. So we have a bit of fun up here, me and the kids.
Speaker 1: We've got your own basement RSL there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just need a few poking machines. But yeah, look it's a it's a great place just to hang private. My friends. We come and play. We have home games of poker here. My kids come and hang out here. There's some music up here. We've got some good speakers up here where the kids can come and hang We all just to the music and have some fun. So that it's a good spot.
Speaker 1: There are so many great moments in your career and the documentary captures done really well. There's a line that you say in this the ball that changed my life talking about the First Test and the Gatting Ball. When you're talking about it, Shane, right, you can see what it physically does to you, you know when we recalled a memory even though it's quite a few years ago, but physically it's like you're reliving it. Tell us about that because watching it you took us there. I could see it the way your body reacted to nerves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean that was I think I was twenty two years of age. I'd going to England to play in an Ashes series and I was about to buy my first ball. Mike Gadding and grah and Gucci were staring at me at the non strikers end, so I was pretty nervous, and I was one of those moments that I suppose when you look back, was meant to be. You know, people call it the ball of the century, the greatest ball of all time, the greatest Ashes moment of all time. So the magnitude of the impact that had, it's one of those moments where people say, when they stopped me on the street, I said, they remember where they were when it happened, and it was a dude. It changed my life. I went from an Australian cricketer to suddenly more people want to know not just about my cricket, but everything else about my life. And suddenly I was sitting on the bus, you know, going to the ground and we're all reading the papers and saying ten things you didn't know about Shane War and I'm reading going I didn't know that about me either. That didn't happen. So suddenly it was like, I don't know what the words are, but people were just so interested in what I was doing. And I was getting followed at twenty two years of age. I was, you know, I was getting paparazzi people following me everywhere, and it was just how much saying well yeah, and people going to understand it's not just one photographer following you. We're talking ten, fifteen, twenty photographers chasing you in a car when you walking down the street or driving down to the Supermarke.
Speaker 1: And I said, so what, you're twenty two years of age. You're never going to be ready for that.
Speaker 2: No, well that's the thing. So to try and understand there's no school you can go to to try and do that. So I've you know, through my whole career in the last thirty odd years, I've always just tried to be myself. I've never pretended to be something.
Speaker 1: Wrong though, mate, because that's like growing up in public and any human life. If you've been doing it right, you're going to make mistakes. Right, if you're doing it right, that's what life is. Sadly, it's human. You're going to make mistakes. But when you're doing it and suddenly it's front and back page news, that's so that pressure must be just really hard. At times it was.
Speaker 2: It was I'm not going to say it wasn't it was. It was very difficult at times. I made plenty of mistakes and I'll make plenty more, you know, I make plenty more. I'm fifty times earning fifty three this year, and I make plenty more mistakes. But that's part. But that's part of the journey. That's part of life. You know, you make mistakes. That's how you've become a better person and how you become you learn it out life. You can't go No one goes through life not making mistakes. No one. You've got to bounce back up. And I think if everything's great through your whole life, I don't know, you don't get the full perspective of appreciating that the good times, appreciating the great things that happen in your life. If you don't have the lows, You've got to have both. And I've been you know, I've had plenty of loads. I've had plenty of eyes and there was myself. Yeah, but I consider myself so grateful for those opportunities and I'm thankful, you know, to play cricket for Australia and be part of the best side in the world for fifteen years, and play with some of the greatest cricketers of all time and travel the world with these guys. It was you know, it was an amazing time and it was great fun. And you know in a.
Speaker 1: Great era as well, wasn't it. I mean, you know, sport these days has changed massively, isn't it. Because they're so wary not just of what goes on when they're being an athlete, it's it's their private life. It's getting canceled, the threat of that saying the wrong thing. Suddenly you're trending or there' stuff that there's so much more pressure. Do you think you had a great time to become Shane Warn and do it in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I look at the modern day athlete, I don't you know. It's great that they can get paid so much money and all that sort of stuff, but there's a lot of stuff that they it's not you know, this social media stuff, the judgments that are out there. Every single little thing gets analyzed, and that's why we're seeing robots. That's why we don't see too many characters anymore. Because it's funny because people want to see characters. But as soon as we see someone a little bit different, or they get a bit emotional out in the sports field, or they get a bit too brutal out there and they want to win so badly, then we nail them. So you can't have it both ways. You know, we all want characters. We don't want people at the end of a great match and then player of the game, player of the match, and suddenly let's say, yeah, it was a great team effort, we all played well. I mean, how boring is that? But that's what we're going to get. Why we keep judging people and we're so harsh on sports for men and women these days. So you know, I just wish we could embrace people and if they do the wrong thing, fine, you know, go after them, but don't just go after them and try and make them do bad things. So look at my time, it was completely different time. I've seen it since nineteen eighty nine the current day, and it's changed so much for the modern day athlete. And you know, back when we were growing up and when we were playing sport, the glark and machines and Ninja turtles was great fun and there's no one videoing you when you played it and put it on tilt. You push it too hard. Now, if you go down the arcade and want to play something like that, people will video it and it'll be all over socials and people will judge and say, oh, how ridiculous, awful. So look, there are some great things about the social media side. And I enjoy social media. I enjoy the platforms, and I enjoy the interactions you can have with your fans and the public, and I really enjoy that and give people a snippet of your life. But I think it's hard for the modern day athlete. It's very difficult. For them.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, great, well said Chain. You're listening to the question you know Carl Show podcast. I noticed in a documentary as well. You and your son. You're in what looks like some sort of attic, and it's basically a museum of you. You've got everything. I was. It's incredible. You've got every I always see when you pick up the stumps and stuff that and you run off with them at the end of the test and that now they must just go straight to the pub. No idea where that is wake up the next morning, no idea. We but you've got it all. It's like a museum.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't collect a lot of stuff, but I collected stuff that I thought was important, like the gatting.
Speaker 1: Stump and the ball and that should be the mcg in that museum. Now you've got all the best swagger.
Speaker 2: I've given a lot of stuff to lords at MCAC. I've given a lot of stuff for the MCG, my shoes, for the seven hundreds, wicket, all that stuff, I've given all of them.
Speaker 1: Did you keep any of the Nike shoes? What was it the see I didn't know that happened. Was it the air flippers? The big Nike deal you did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was it. In nineteen ninety four. Wow, I flew over to meet Phil Knight, the owner of Nike, and meet Michael Jordan both Jack unbelievable, and shot a commercial with him. I had to design my own shoe.
Speaker 1: So that was Did you really design it? You said that in the documentary and I'm thinking, come on, he's not sat down with a bit of paper, and did you really design your own shoe?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think for memory off the top of my head, there was thirty eight different cricket shoes available at that time, and we had all thirty eight different shoes there, and we said what was good about them, what was bad about them? And then the Nike people added their own touch to it, like, for instance, we put what was called this is this testimony. I think it's called Sarah Combe on the toe because people used to drag their toe, so this thing would never ever wear out. And I said to them that after, I said, that's no good, because that means I have one pair of shoes. The whole time we wanted to buy more, so they sold out. Everyone wanted them. We have their flipper, their sentry for Batsman. We had a bowling shoe and it was you know, it's pretty cool or there was no one else around doing that sort of stuff besides Michael Jordan at that time, So yeah, I was. I felt very lucky to have that opportunity with Nike to do that, and I was with them for a long long time. So yeah, look, that was great fun to go over and do that, great experience.
Speaker 1: Well, amazing stuff. Do you miss it when you when you're watching a game? You do great stuff on Fox? Do you miss it? Shane? Do you know it's one thing commentating it and you're on the sidelines and that part of your life is over now, But do you miss it sometimes? Uh?
Speaker 2: Look, I'm a competitor. I'd like to think as myself as pretty competitive in everything I do, and just to you know, I watch and it's great to be a commentator. I hope people enjoy me trying to take them out into the middle of the game when I'm commentating. Occasionally I miss it. Yeah, I think the biggest thing when any athlete retires, you more miss the common arterie of everyone mostly pranks and everyone played in the dressing room and being on tour with the lads and all that stuff. But being in the bus rides, when people playing guitar and you're playing cards, you miss that makeshift. And then every now and then, like a World Cup final, the first day of an ashes series, we think, oh, you know, the juice will start flowing. Your statis wouldn't mind being out there, and it brings back some great memories. Yeah, but I don't miss them competing because when I wake up sometimes it's a bit hard to even walk to the bathroom and everything hurts.
Speaker 1: You start to make all these noises coming from your body, all the pops and at your knees creaking, and.
Speaker 2: That that's it. That's it. Yeah, I don't miss the playing too much.
Speaker 1: Tell you one thing I noticed, right, I always think you remember the first in your life, like your first girlfriend and for you obviously your first Test wickets and your first car. There's one bit where there's a photo of you with this classic old forward grenade. My dad had the same car, right, same color. Was that your first car? What was your first car?
Speaker 2: My first car was a Ford Cortina at TC Cortina and you flashed, Oh yeah, I was flashing. Then I had a Valiant Pacer.
Speaker 1: Big time. Now wonder they called your Hollywood.
Speaker 2: That's it. I had a big black stripe down and I went on. My goodness, I had all those when I got my first contract from Cricket Australia, and I got three thousand dollars wow, And that was my contract. And I was working part time in a pizza shop on a Friday night as well, while whilst I was still playing cricket for Australia. And I'd say, one, where was it? I was just around the corner from where I lived. It's changed names about fifty times and no longer there now, but I saved up some money and back then there used to be the now Jbhis used to be called Strathfield Car Radio here in Australia. And I drove my car down and said, I want the best stereo system you can possibly get. So I spent all my money in my contract with Cricket Australia on this car stereo, and everywhere I went, I had it so loud I blew the speakers up after the first week. So I used to love it. And I had an acadaca playing all those eighties hids. Yeah, I had them all.
Speaker 1: Would you love to have that car now?
Speaker 2: Ah, it'd be worth a fortune there.
Speaker 1: It would be worth an update fourteenas those old ones and that were the old fastest strike they're worth a fortune now you get them on antiques Rojo.
Speaker 2: I know I wanted the SLR fives and Tarana as well, so but I couldn't afford one of those. Many regrets, so many regrets. It was a great time, a great time.
Speaker 1: Well listen one, it's always a joy having you on a show. I really enjoy talking to you, and I genuinely loved your documentary. I thought it was it's going to surprise people in a good way. You're very very open, very open hearted. You get to see I loved meeting you mum and and your brother and that the relationship, the deep love that you all have between you and your kids is something. Yeah, from where it was. It's more important about how you handle it. That's a lot of most of life, really, isn't it. And yeah, it comes right out the screen. It will cheer people up. Actually, it's a great romp through an amazing life that's still got a long way to go. So thanks speaking to Shane, I really enjoyed it. You're welcome on the show. Anytime. I'd love to come around that man cave and played the Lethal Weapon game. I used to play that back in the nineties. It's a great game.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for having me mate and I people enjoy the documentary, and you're welcome any time, because I'll smash you.
Speaker 1: It's a competitor, all right, Mornie. Thank you very much. I let you go. The documentary is out now. It's called Shane obviously, it's on Amazon Prime. I loved it. You will really enjoy it. Watch it.
Speaker 2: The Christian O'Connell Show podcast