Speaker 1: Quest. Yeah, welcome friends to the Christian O'Connell show podcast in the studio right now. Ronan Keating. If you need any reminding about the pedigree and the class of Ronan Keating. In the nineties, it was in one of the biggest boy bands in the world, boy Zone, huge all over the world. They sold back when there were records twenty six million songs around the world, and then goes on to having an even a bigger solo career, selling some of like twenty seven million records around the world. You might remember some of them when you say Nothing at All, which is in the movie notting Hill number one in seven different countries. Ronan, lovely to see you. You and I used to work in the same building. So Ronan and I were rivals on breakfast radio. We were listen to this us we were we were.
Speaker 2: No, not really, I was learning from you. I mean, look, I came in as the new boy, and I remember you had the big show at the Breakfast Show.
Speaker 1: Give me you're on the big salary. I prefer always preferred those way round. You. You had its stature. There's roaning money and then pay me.
Speaker 2: I mean, you were the man and honest to God like you you and who else was it?
Speaker 1: Richie? I used to do show Richie.
Speaker 2: I love it. Richie stayed around a long time afterwards. He's still there, he still he's still there. But yeah, I think Chris Evans and yourself were the two DJs that I would, you know, kind of listen to and and you know, take lesson from because I mean, you know what you're doing. I was the new boy on the block. I loved it seven years on radio.
Speaker 1: So you finished this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, finished it, finished it and I walked out. I left and she ended June, I think, or end of July.
Speaker 1: And did you enjoy it?
Speaker 2: I did? I loved it.
Speaker 1: I was great fun. Radio was great fun.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. I learned so much about myself. What did you learn about yourself? Just you know, because I was sixteen when I joined the band, and I was on the other side of the desk. So I was being interviewed and I was, you know, I was fired question People were firing questions at me, and I was, you know, I was answering, whereas I was taking time to think about the artist that I was and the performer that I was. And you know, when I was sitting down with you know, Ed sheer In or whoever an interview in these sort of artists. I was thinking about myself and who I was, and and the answers that I gave, you know, a knee jerk reaction answers that I would have given. It's changed me. It's changed the way that I, you know, that I get interviewed. It's changed the way that I that I get on stage and perform. The things that I say between songs are different now when I'm on stage, it's it's really it's bizarre but brilliant.
Speaker 1: And also, do you have an even greater appreciation because look, our stories are storytellers, right, don't you have an even greater appreciation joy hearing stories as well? Yeah, because radio is its best. It's a storytelling me.
Speaker 2: You it absolutely is. It is. It's telling stories. It's been in people's lives as well. You know, we were talking about it before the show. You know that the years that we went through COVID and being in people's So, did you still go into London? Yeah? Yeah, Well I did a lot of the shows from home because that's what they wanted. They wanted us to be at home out of the studios and obviously not in close proximity with each other. So I did the show. But when I did start to go back and you realize, you know, you're in people's bedrooms and bathrooms and.
Speaker 1: You're be careful with that. That b be a tell. Yeah bedroom, bedrooms, but that's why you've had to quit that kitchens Yeah yeah, yeah, room but no, you know.
Speaker 2: You were really you know, people didn't communicate with each other, so we were communicating. We were telling the stories like you say, and and and they were really listening and it was very very special.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we did. Obviously you're in Melbourne, so we we had a pretty nifty cheek two years. But it was it was a privilege to actually be on the radio. Yeah, time, it really was. It really was. And so why have you just had enough? The hours?
Speaker 2: It's a lot. Yeah, I mean your granddad now, I'm a granddad now. It is as you know, it ages you, you know.
Speaker 1: Getting it out of it. You're like, there's no aging on you twenty one.
Speaker 2: I'm twenty one, forty seven year old. No like getting up early every single morning, well five days a week. But also it's trying to go to bed early the night before, and what that does to me because I was the night oul. I was going to bed super late because I've becoming off stages or whatever, and then you can't wind down. It takes ages, so you're not in bed till two or three in the morning. Then you sleep in in the morning. And that whole shift in my life was quite dramatic, and I enjoyed it for a while, but then I really started to grade on me and all the things that I missed out on. You know, I'd have to say no, I couldn't go to dinners, I couldn't go out see friends because I was going home and getting to bed earlier.
Speaker 1: I just thought, look, I can't do the early bed thing. I still don't go to a nine till ten. I just can't do that. Dallas Man on the radio, Look the kids are putting you to bed. I know they're going dance to light where they think in dance a light way. You got to bed at seven o'clock, you see, alcoholic, That's what.
Speaker 2: Some of the people on the shows would do. They've got to bed seven or eight o'clock at day. I said, what, it's only when you start to get a bit of time then before the kids to bed and you get to sit down and watch a box set or whatever the hell you set.
Speaker 1: Well, you've got DVD exactly, TV series what you call the plenty you're gonna watch? Where's watch a DVD or place academy?
Speaker 2: Oh, now you're talking.
Speaker 1: So will you ever come back to radio?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, I look seven brilliant years. I love the team on Magic that Got One has actually just replaced me. Harriet Scott and Got one now are doing breakfast and it's just been announced. It's great. I have a great relationship.
Speaker 1: I left.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of somebody said to me when I was leaving, there's not a lot of people that get clapped when they leave a radio shop, clapped out the door, you know.
Speaker 1: No, you're right. It's an amazing thing, isn't Everyone should be clapped out when they leave a job they've been doing. Quite us, it was the best thing in the world, right, you've obviously had, you know, standing ovations and stuff. Being clapped out of your own workplace, what's amazing.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. And somebody said to me, there's a lot of people that, you know, they literally they get told to clear out their desk and they're not coming back tomorrow. You know. It's that kind of thing when you get thrown out of radio almost so I guess it was. You know, I went out on a high, seven brilliant years. I just want to get back to making some music and spending time with my family and my kids and my wife. And yeah, that's the real decision why I decided.
Speaker 1: So let me tell you this. Right yesterday I googled you just to check you out and been canceled. You know these days.
Speaker 2: Good Look, I hope you haven't.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's all good. It's all good. And the first headline I saw from the good old Daily Man is that you have quietly key wedding, quietly moved to Australia. Is a little suitcase here.
Speaker 2: Quite loud about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, we've had a I lost my brother last year and it's been Yeah, it was tough. It's been really really tough on all of us.
Speaker 1: The family, and it must have been devastating.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's you know, a year later and I'm finding that I haven't really started to deal with it, to be honest. So we decided we were reevaluating life. We wanted to be around Storm's fam My wife's Australian. We wanted to be down here with the family and be around them and the kids also, as you know, the Ausie way of life is an amazing way of life and we wanted to keep the kids that opportunity while they're still young enough. So the kids are in school in Sydney, we're here from that.
Speaker 1: They loving It's a different lifestyle. It's my god, they love it.
Speaker 2: I asked them. I actually said to them the other day I was walking them to school. How cool. I walked the kids to school. I was walking them to school and I said, where do you prefer to go to school, guys, and the in England or here? And they both said, hands down here here, Dad love it. The teachers are so nice. That's actually what they said. The teachers are so.
Speaker 1: This is a much more positive, friendly country. And look, you know, we are both from countries where you can get in the sea. You just need a lot of jabs and medication afterwards. Cold either it's cold, that's putting it mildly.
Speaker 2: It's cold, it's damp. It's the damp. It's got me, you know it. And only people that have been in what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: It's the damn So is this home now? Have you quietly moved to Australia? You just here for a while.
Speaker 2: We're here for a while. We're going to probably be here at the back end of every year for the next four or five years, kind of chasing the sun a little bit. We're going to go back to the UK for summer next year, but we'll Yeah, we're here for a while and I don't see that changing.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Yeah, Lord, Now tell me this. We had a look on chat gpt right time ten roading. You ever put yourself into chat ChiPT.
Speaker 2: No, I don't even know what that is, right, honest to god, you.
Speaker 1: Don't know what chat chept is? Of course you do?
Speaker 2: Ai oh Ai, yeah, yes, yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Well called a chat gpt, right, is this right? You were a trade you were a carpenter. No chat gpt. They're raving about it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean we built a house in the over the last five years.
Speaker 1: When you say weed, do you mean obviously got people into do well? Yeah, but you know we got ripped off by dodgy builders. Yeah, we got ripped off.
Speaker 2: In this country.
Speaker 1: There's a bad reputation about some Irish builders. Well, the Irish builders didn't rip you off.
Speaker 2: There was English and Irish are involved, and they ripped us off.
Speaker 1: And the hell rips off ron.
Speaker 2: We call it pop star attacks. Honestly, I was talking to Ed Sheer and he got shafted as well.
Speaker 1: Right, there's got some dodgy guttering or drive.
Speaker 2: It was a little bit more than that. But my wife ended up taking on the job of construction company, set up a construction company. She became the architect, she became everything. She did the whole job. I was on site. I'd come home from magic breakfast and.
Speaker 1: You will barrow put on.
Speaker 2: I was near I being, you know, drilling me hand or whatever. I wasn't believable baptism afar. I remember there was lads putting plaster borderup and and I came in and says, what can I do? When he says, oh, well, you wouldn't cut that plaster border, I didn't have to cut plaster board. So I went outside YouTube how do you put plaster? Figured that out, started cutting up the plaster board and bringing it in. Idy great job.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you had a trade pass.
Speaker 2: No I didn't. I was I worked in a shoe shop before Boys On?
Speaker 1: Is it crazy? So you go to that bad at sixteen? You know, now you're a dad and you see what sixteen is like you still a young kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, My eldest boy is twenty five, so it's mad. By the time I was twenty five, I had left Boys On and and I had had him my boy, and it gets crazy. Yeah, yeah, I mean life's it's thirty years Christian, thirty thirty one years now since I joined them.
Speaker 1: But how do you look back on that periody with life now? Can you see it differently? Do you appreciate it in a different way? Because I think you guys were so famous, like megastars famous.
Speaker 2: Well, to be honest with you, it feels like a different per I don't you know. I look at it and I think I'm looking at somebody else's life. We don't. I was just talking to someone about it yesterday. Bless them that the awful news are youngly in pain on what happened. And you know, I think that the record industry has a lot to answer for with the way that artists are protected as such, especially at such.
Speaker 1: A young age.
Speaker 2: He was sixteen, I believe when he when he drew in one direction. You know, we didn't get any training. There's no media training. Nobody comes and tells you how to do an interview or or what to say or you know, how you should say something or whatever whatever. You know, there's nothing there. And I think they need to be protected, like when you do the Voice or you do X Factor, any of these shows, we have basically psychologists who are there on hand to help need that.
Speaker 1: Yeah they do.
Speaker 2: You know, they get the chair doesn't turn, or you know, they get told that it wasn't a great performance or whatever. You know, they devastated, so you need somebody to help them down easy, you know. And none of that was there for supply for boys home when we were sixteen and sometimes as God knows how scared I am now, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But I'm look.
Speaker 2: I tried to keep me feet on the ground and realize that I don't believe the hype too much. People need to be protected more in this in this bloody famous world or whatever that means.
Speaker 1: And you know we do because the pressures there they are under now way more than ever before. Yeah scary, I mean social media have skilled Do you want to be in a boy band? Now, I don't think I would be honest with you, rather be a coppenter. Yeah, I think I run past board.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I think what's a good better at us?
Speaker 1: This is a guy you've sold about fifty million? What any former middle aged boy band?
Speaker 2: Perfect? Well, actually I was talking to Gary Barlow. He's in Australia at the moment.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: You take that boys out here and I was seeing them tomorrow. Gary and I I think we have we've kind of well, we've lived a very similar life, but both of yeah, i'm're at a very similar stage in our lives now. Yeah, maybe we will start a band.
Speaker 1: The to of us.
Speaker 2: We've been talking about doing something together. So maybe that's what you do.
Speaker 1: You know, what is time for a middle age old boy band? There you go, Yeah, our cell tours. You just do afternoon shows. Come on, we can sell a little bit modern r please.
Speaker 2: Christen's mike.
Speaker 1: Face that I said.
Speaker 2: I know what they are.
Speaker 1: They're a good time.
Speaker 2: They're a good time. All right, you do a few warm up okay, great, yeah, we do the warm up there, that's a good Then you go to the MCG Now I like way you've gone.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, thanks, Now tell us about Oaks Stay. You're looking forward to performing?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, performing today, and I've been at Melbourne all week obviously. I performed on Tuesday at Melbourne Cup with Ricky Lee one hundred thousand people. The reception was phenomenal. It was really it was incredible. I kind of put out the mic at the end of one of the songs and they sang the line back to me and it was just this wall of voices. It was so powerful. It was really special. So you're very much looking forward to performing today. You show me someone who's owned a horse.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big mistake, huge, huge, huge. Did you lose money? Give anyone advice done by a horse? I lost a fortune? Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Didn't win anything, it did.
Speaker 2: Actually we did have one wine down in Limerick somewhere in Ireland, one of the big major tournaments. Yeah, it was a major. I think we sold him after that. I wasn't going to get any better.
Speaker 1: It was a nightmare, all right. Lovely to see you man too.
Speaker 2: You really well. I don't know about that. Thank you, you do too. It's like a smile on your face, you know how to smile, And I no, no, I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't smile, so I was forty six.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much for coming in.
Speaker 1: Thanks christ The Christian O'Connell Show podcast