Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: Fun day, everybody.
Speaker 3: Welcome back again, everybody.
Speaker 2: I am feeling so energized.
Speaker 3: I am ready to have the best week of my life. What happened? I don't know, really, Actually no, I do know.
Speaker 4: I went away for one night out of I escaped like the city, went to a really wholesome weekend, and I've decided I think I want to be a trad wife.
Speaker 3: I don't think you do. I think you just want to live in the country. I don't think you want to be a trad wife. The trad wife is like it's trending on TikTok and Instagram.
Speaker 4: It's like the people that dedicate their life to being really like old school wholesome mothers, where they cook.
Speaker 3: Everything by hand. The bread is by hand, and.
Speaker 2: They would do the washing.
Speaker 5: Let me tell you, Britt does not want to be a tradwife. A trad wife is like a Mormon family that's at home that's cooking and serving their husbandey and collecting eggs and then making sour.
Speaker 2: Dough like Nara Smith. Is that who it was from?
Speaker 5: Tiktoky Ballerina Farm? Anyone know that one?
Speaker 3: Well, now it's Britney's farm.
Speaker 2: So what did you do this one.
Speaker 4: I went away for a little stay and it was like in the bush, it was like nothing around. There was just like streams going past free range sixteen free range chickens. And we made our own bread and baked our bread, and whilst it was cooling, we went out to get the fresh eggs that were still warm from the chook's butt. Then we cooked those on. We got our own honey from the bee hive, and I just realized that I think I was made for that line.
Speaker 2: And you got your phone out and posted it all to Instagram.
Speaker 5: And that's that's what tradwives do exactly, that's identical.
Speaker 2: That's now.
Speaker 5: You just need seven children and you'll be thoroughly well into the trad right wife territory.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: Then I came home and had a frozen meal for dinner, and I was like, that's not for me.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not all right, Welcome to the show everyone, I atle bit different vibe with tradwife Brittany today.
Speaker 2: Joining us today. I can't of our times?
Speaker 1: That is Tina Arena banger?
Speaker 3: Is this song?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The only thing is going to make it more of a banger is doing it again. A brand new version of it.
Speaker 2: This has changed, but listen, it's a little different. It's a remix for the thirtieth anniversary.
Speaker 1: Tina will tell us all about it. She's coming up next. Pick Up put Down is on the way as well. All the big discussion points of the weekend. Girls, you need to decide if we keep talking about them or not. And ray Gun. The Raygun conversation has found its way back to mainstream media. She's done a bit of press of the weekend. It's got people talking. Oh wait, that's next on the pickup. Now, we know you were hanging out with your friends this weekend. You had dinner with your pals and all the discussion points at dinner.
Speaker 3: Brittany was hanging out with some chickens.
Speaker 1: Brittany was with chickens eating bread and discussions were being had. That's why every Monday on the show, we did It chick Can't pick Up, put Down Britain Laura are presented with a news story from the weekend. They decide whether or not it's worthy of being spoken about into the week or whether we put it down and never speak at it again.
Speaker 2: Are we ready, ladies? Lots of news have you got for us? Mis Jury pick up, put down.
Speaker 1: Sia Sharona calling out male celebrities joking about self defense.
Speaker 3: I'm not across this story?
Speaker 6: What is it?
Speaker 1: Si Sharona, and Irish actress she's been nominated for Oscars, was on The Graham Norton Show where she called out male celebs on the couch who were joking about self defense. They were flippantly saying how easy self defense is, to which then she said, well, yeah, I'm in hilarious.
Speaker 2: You're not a woman. Haven't listened to the moment. It's going very viral. Who's actually going to think about that?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: Someone at text me I'm.
Speaker 2: Not going to go phone. That's a very good point.
Speaker 6: I like girls have to think about all the time, am I right? Ladies?
Speaker 4: And ovation it is the privilege that that shows the men joking and laughing that they've never had to think about that in their life.
Speaker 3: We think about it every time we leave the house.
Speaker 5: I had this conversation with my husband recently and I was like, you will never know what it's like to walk out of a shopping center and put your keys in your hand with the intention of using them as a joust to stab someone with. If someone jumps out or like to like, you know, yeah with like obviously it's not gonna work. It's not a great defense. But I think every female out there has at some point been like, Okay, what do I have? I'm going to hold my keys like it's a weapon, just in case something happens.
Speaker 4: And pulling out walking with your phone always because you either want to look like you're talking to someone, so don't don't attack me now I'm on the phone to someone.
Speaker 2: It's what the men were saying. They would never think to pull out their phone.
Speaker 5: It must be nice to live in a world where you never have to think about those things.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly what this proves.
Speaker 2: All right, pick up, put down?
Speaker 1: Timothy Chalomy crashing his own lookalike competition in New York City.
Speaker 4: What pick it up?
Speaker 6: I love this?
Speaker 3: Pick it up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a photo in front of you. Girls, have a look.
Speaker 1: There's an annual Timothy challamey look like competition in New York where men that are skinny, white with a raggedy hair a real pubic mustache all join together in a New York park and the prize is fifty dollars for the most how a resemblance to Timothy Shalla Maye and Timothy Today turned up at the event.
Speaker 3: But imagine if it turned up and didn't win. Bitch, you sounded like you didn't know a lot about this. What do you mean You've been like, what's going on here?
Speaker 2: Did you?
Speaker 3: How long has it been going on for?
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 3: Do they win?
Speaker 4: Oka?
Speaker 1: Can I just say you'll never proved I'm the most prepared person on this show.
Speaker 2: You are?
Speaker 3: Laurs just requestioned everything you already said.
Speaker 2: What's okay? I guess we were kind of on a hating man the start of.
Speaker 3: Okay you know so much?
Speaker 2: What was his name?
Speaker 3: Have you ever had to hold your keys?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: I'm gay? You do you want to go into that nuance?
Speaker 3: Good point? Anything else?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I haven't read the story, all right? Pick up? Put down? Dressing as ray Gun from the Olympics for Halloween?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 1: Pick it up? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Pick it up?
Speaker 3: We can talk about it.
Speaker 4: Well, Halloween costumes these days, they don't refer to something that's just scary, like anyone famous can be dressed up as Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ray Gun was the horrific Olympics breakdown hopping like a kangaroo.
Speaker 3: Which, to be fair, was particularly scary.
Speaker 2: It was frightening, horrifying.
Speaker 1: She did a feature in I Believe Stellar magazine over the weekend and she said that if she reckons, if she was a man, she would have been given the Alarican title, and that more people would have rallied around her performance at the Olympics, and that people brought her down because she was a woman.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know if I agree with that. I agree with that, Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Hands down, women get trashed so much more.
Speaker 5: Look, I agree with that, yes, but I don't agree with the setting of it. I don't think anyone is being considered Alarican for just giving it a crack at the Olympics. It's the Olympics, Like people are there doing their absolute best and being the best. Now, I reckon, if a guy went and did that performance at the Olympics, people would be like, oh, poor guy, Like he gave it a go.
Speaker 3: But because she's who she is, she got so much more hate.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of criticism towards her for not riding the wave enough. There's criticism that she I mean, she could have made so much money out of this.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think she's riding the wave. Heard she's in the front of stella.
Speaker 4: If that's not ride waving, wave writing, if that is not serving the chick.
Speaker 3: That is Tina Arena, the icon, the Queen, Mitch.
Speaker 4: I'm so much more excited to introduce her than you. Sorry I took over you then, but yeah, I've been looking forward to this interview for a couple of days now. So the Queen herself, Tina Arena is on after the great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, new music vertie is on from Shane's. She's joining us next and.
Speaker 1: By welcome back to the pickup britt Laura and Mitva Monday afternoon or thanks to Chemist Warehouse, Hey head in, you'll save more money every year on your regular medication with discount of prescriptions in every store every day.
Speaker 4: I am so excited to bring in today's guests someone that when you grow up, Little Brittany was like, I'm never going to get the chance to speak to this woman. This is Australia's highest selling artist of all time ten million albums worldwide. She has just released a new remix of her nineteen ninety four hits I'm in Change.
Speaker 2: Do you know who I'm talking about?
Speaker 4: Tina Arena? I, Oh, what a moment this is you've released an absolute new banger, a remix with Shouts of Chains. Did you expect to ever replicate the success that you had so long ago?
Speaker 6: Well, the replication of the success is very different today in terms of how we kind of view music and stuff. But I didn't. I didn't really expect. I don't expect much.
Speaker 3: You're going to get it, though, do you.
Speaker 6: Much?
Speaker 5: Do you feel different performing now in comparison to when it first came out, Like getting up and performing this song, does it feel different to you or does it have a different meaning to it now?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: I think it's a song that's always because it came from such an honest place, and I think that the subject matter of chains is something that I think is completely identifiable for anybody. I always knew that the song had great longevity because it's a very well written SONGA it's pleasing to see that there's a new generation that are enjoying it today. And I still enjoy seeing the song because it takes a different shape all the time, you know, And I'm much more comfortable performing today as opposed to being in the nineties, where I perhaps was much more insecure about my staff. You know, whilst everybody was enjoying it. I was constantly questioning, so you know that constant questioning now goes. It's like, you know what it is, what it is, don't overthink it. Just have a great time and pray to God that everybody else has a good time.
Speaker 1: People do I mean even the reception that you had when you performed at the AFL Grand Final a few weeks ago. Now with Katy Perry, I don't want to ask about the performance because that was incredible.
Speaker 2: We all agree.
Speaker 1: I mean, stay that moment, it was amazing. But how do you feel getting the call? I mean, when you get the call from Katy Perry or Katy Perry's team, does the you know, the Tina from Young Talent Time when you were eight years old.
Speaker 2: Go, what's going on? Why it's Katy Perry calling me? That must be a crazy moment.
Speaker 6: It was nice. Look, she's really great. She was asked obviously to do the thing. She'd agreed. She's she has a real affinity with Australians. She's actually her in a call, her inner sanctum, her creative a musical sanctum are all Australians. So it's very interesting. How yeah, how she's sort of set up, so I think, sort of spiritually and certainly from a sense of humor perspective, we're quite similar. We're both scorpios, so we both work really hard, we both have a sense of humor. She was really lovely. She loved the song, wanted to wanted it to be a part of her set, which I was really flatted because she didn't have to, but she chose to. And I think that that's incredibly gracious on her behalf, you know, And we had a bloody great time. Tina.
Speaker 5: You said before that you like at this space now in life where you don't you don't care as much about what people think, or you're able to kind of just move beyond the space that you're in where you're feeling more self conscious.
Speaker 3: What changed for you? What gave you this new perspective?
Speaker 6: What age gives you that perspective when you're in your You know, I'm in my late fifties now, so you know, if I don't start enjoying myself really looking at what it is that I do and enjoying it, what is the bloody purpose of it?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 6: So I think that once you understand that it's not your job to make everybody happy. It's your job to do what it is that you do. And if people come along and enjoy, enjoy that, that's terrific. And if they don't, that's certainly fine as well. You know, I think that it's at a certain point you've just got to take stock of everything and understand that you do what you do and as long as your intentions are good, the rest who cares?
Speaker 4: Tina, You were the first Australian to be awarded a knighthood in France.
Speaker 3: What what benefits do you get being like a night.
Speaker 6: Flake?
Speaker 2: Does it come with anything?
Speaker 6: Zero?
Speaker 3: Zero forgives you nothing, just a bit of a flat.
Speaker 6: Big it's a big fat zero. Of course. It doesn't put you at the top of the line. It doesn't do anything. It's a it's a recognition. It's a lovely recognition. But does it do anything for you know.
Speaker 3: Not like less tax or anything. No payless tax, No sneaking comes up in trivia.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, certainly not less tax stuff, that's for sure. You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: I watched like what's happening in the US at the moment and you've got like Beyonce out about the election ride and Beyonce speaking for Kamala. And when you get to icon status in America, it's almost like, all of a sudden, you have to speak on all issues. You've got to speak on cultural issues, you've got to speak on political issues. But in Australia you get to you get to icon status like you have, and it's kind of like leave them alone. You know, they don't have to speak on anything. Yes, you're an idea a French night, but also I'm more mean, do you ever feel pressured, Tina to come out and speak on those political issues here in Australia?
Speaker 6: You know, not really? I mean everybody's sort of comments about things today, because if we look at the state of the world, there is certainly reason to be gravely concerned, particularly with this collection. And I am I am. I do pay attention to politics. I always have. I don't know where that comes from. Maybe it's the maybe I come from a household where politics was a subject at the dinner table where we would talk things. I think it's really important that people are aware of what's going on. Can I a bit quiet? Please? Should? I think it's important to know what is going on, because you know, if America sneezes, we catch the pneumonia, and frankly, that's very important. And you know, we are living in a world where it's really clear now that people are being censored for what it is that they say. I'm just a citizen like anybody else. So where those elections go and all of that they discuss is of course a concern to me, like it's a concern to any of anybody listening, right, So we do need to pay attention, and I do pay attention.
Speaker 1: Listen if you're just joining us on the pick up, Tina Arena is here. She's got brand new music out, She's doing a thirtith anniversary tour. All the details next. She's staying with us after this on the pickup. Joining us now is an Australian icon, ladies. Truly, this is a Unix of change.
Speaker 5: Good right, Yes, welcome back now, Tina. We were just talking about it before the break. We're talking about some things that are happening in the States, but you also recently made a comment about how the music industry needs an overhaul, and in reference particularly to what's happening with p Didty at the moment, I mean, we're all across.
Speaker 3: That right, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: What is your experience of the music What was your experience of the music scene and the music music What was your experience of the music scene and the music culture when it was at a tight look, it's not.
Speaker 6: A it's not a particularly kind industry. There's an enormous amount of manipulation and insecurity that goes on. It's a system that's evolved with time to think less and less of the people that are the creatives that create the art. So it's really an important time for artists and the public alike to be aware of a systemic that has been in place just for a long time. It's run in a particular fashion that's very inappropriate economically, spiritually, and all of all of the above. I've you know, I just I just call out the bullshit. I just can't. I don't have the patience for it. I've always been very honest about it. I started being honest about it a long long time ago. And that's the way it is. And I'm whilst this is unbelievably tragic what is going on in the US if it enables the system to be completely rethought, and I think it's time. Yeah, So that's that's what I think. That's what I think. I mean, I've seen a lot of stuff my day. It's not worth getting into it. I think all of you have a vivid enough imagination of the kind of stuff that goes on as a as as a woman. Now I sort of go, okay, well, here are my boundaries, here are my rules. If you like them to you don't like them, that's fine too. But I don't want to be a part of any of that. I've never been a part of it. I'm not interested, but I do know what goes on.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of economically, which you just said, I just read something wild. Lily Allen just came out saying that she makes more money off her feet only fans than she does from her eight million streams a month on Spotify.
Speaker 2: Which is insane and gorgeous.
Speaker 3: She must have a lot of subscribers and only fans then no.
Speaker 4: But it's just insane because a lot of people sign only is she or only.
Speaker 3: Only for her feet?
Speaker 6: Only for her feet?
Speaker 4: She puts like she does get pedicures, has nice sandals and makes a bang.
Speaker 3: She Well, she's saying she makes more of that.
Speaker 4: But I think a lot of people sign their life away. But Tina, your thirtieth anniversary to Don't Ask is coming up. You've got some special guests and some special little surprises along the way.
Speaker 3: Can you quickly tell us about who you're bringing along with you?
Speaker 6: Well, Richard Marx is my international guest, which I'm really excited about, so he'll have an opportunity to play his music, which has always been successful in Australia. There's also Darryl broith Waite, Kate so Brhina is playing, Southern Sons will be playing nineteen twenty seven, will be playing. Wow. I just and myself. I just think it's a really interesting lineup of people. So I think it's going to be a fantastic day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Tina.
Speaker 5: Can I just say it's so incredibly refreshing to speak to someone who has been in the absolute upper echelons of Australian stardom when it comes to the industry that you're in, and how humble you are and how you speak about it and all the lessons that you've learned along the way, It really is such a I mean, I've enjoyed this so much.
Speaker 3: It's such a beautiful perspective that you have.
Speaker 6: Thank you Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I'm not into smoke and mirrors. I'm just not.
Speaker 3: No, you can tell.
Speaker 6: I kind of look at it like, my job is to be truthful to myself and to the public. My job isn't to give them any more bullshit. They've got enough bullshit on their plates. So I just I keep it.
Speaker 1: I keep it as it is, and that is why she's one of the times that is. Tina Arena, thank you so much for joining us this afternoon.
Speaker 2: On the pickup.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. Guys, keep having fun and keep keeping it real.