Speaker 1: Laura and come on in. Hello ladies, Thursday afternoon. Greetings your Mitch. Did you cycle him here?
Speaker 2: I've never seen you wear so much micro and active in your entire life.
Speaker 1: I'm going for a walk after the show, and I don't want to have to get changed after.
Speaker 3: Do you think that wearing active wear is an appropriate attire for coming to work?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: Where are we at with the whole active wear as well?
Speaker 1: Expect I'm just in the black T shirt and I mean five inchin.
Speaker 3: It's not the black T shirt, Mitch, it's the very short short.
Speaker 1: Stand up Mitch.
Speaker 5: You don't need to stand up.
Speaker 1: We saw them very short.
Speaker 3: As your hot girl walks are getting more intense, your shorts are getting shorter.
Speaker 5: I've noticed there's a direct correlation between the two.
Speaker 1: Oh my legs growing. Perhaps it's okay you wear all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I'm not at work doing this, and sometimes even doing this, I'm one hundred percent always in active.
Speaker 1: Where can I just say nothing worse than someone that wears active where to work with their like it's smelly active wear. Oh all right, that's enough.
Speaker 5: We have a brilliant I've had enough of this.
Speaker 2: No, we've got to ask on cut coming up. As you know, it's one of our favorites here on a Thursday. We do it on the podcast on Life on Cut podcast. A listener writes in or calls in with the deepest, darkest burning question and we do our best to get our completely unqualified advice.
Speaker 1: But with a lot of enthusiasm.
Speaker 5: Yeah, always coming up.
Speaker 1: All right, we've got some help coming up here at the pickup for your thurs Day thanks to Chemists Warehouse heading today great savings every day. It's the pickup around Australia with Brit, Laura and Mitch here. Hello, Hi, welcome, thanks to Chemists Warehouse. Rush in to Chemist Warehouse for half priced vitamins and cosmetics. That's good teas and seas. Apply Chemist ware House, Great savings every day. Ladies. You feel in like a bit of therapy.
Speaker 5: Oh therapy Thursday. We love it.
Speaker 1: This is ask on Cut sanction. Let's jump in ask ur Cut.
Speaker 2: We do this every week on our podcast Life on Podcast where you guys ride in your deepest, darkest burning questions and we do our best to answer them. And we have someone that's called in this week beck Hi, beck I.
Speaker 4: Beg hi, guys, I'm so exciting to be talking to you.
Speaker 5: Please me, I've got a.
Speaker 4: Call I had. Oh it's the worst, excuse my name voice, but I've got a question for you. So it's do I change my last name? Basically, my partner and I we've been together for or five years and we got engaged finally at the start of this year, and our wedding is not too fast around the corner. It's in February. I had told my partner that I would absolutely change my last name and take his. However, as we're getting closer to the wedding, I'm getting cold feet and I'm feeling really nervous about.
Speaker 5: It, about the wedding or the name.
Speaker 4: More the name change because femininely child, my dad, his sibling is. He only has a sister. So my situation is if I take his name, like yeah, yeah, basically it ends with me.
Speaker 3: So what have you spoken to your partner about not wanting to take his name or that you are feeling like you're having a bit of a change of heart.
Speaker 4: Well, no, not yet, because I think he'll be a bit upset because I always said I would, and I think he won't understand why I would change my name. I didn't make a joke the other day about hyphenating, and he was like, wait what, And I think no.
Speaker 2: I think a hyphen's a happy medium. Look, the whole taking the man's name is very archaic. It always has been. It's just it's just what society expects of us. No one even knows why we do it anymore. It's just what we've been told to do, so we do it. I think trying to approach the hyphen if nothing else, so you don't have to completely change.
Speaker 3: But what are you going to do in the instance if you guys have kids, so say you do keep your name and then you have children together, what last name would you give the kids?
Speaker 4: This is this is the other thing I don't I would assume they just have to take his name.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. Why why do you have to assume? Also, this is what I hate about this whole situation. Why does this have to happen? I understand the patriarchy, We're not going to destroy it in the three pm pickup, but I just feel you should. What do you want to do, Beck, Do you want to keep your surname or not? If it ends with you, does that upset you?
Speaker 4: It kind of does. And I feel like it's so nice that I have the same nickname as my dad because our surname's foodles. What's fun to be called goodie?
Speaker 1: Then keep it? Then My answer is keep it because if that's how you feel, keep it. And you have to have a conversation with your husband.
Speaker 3: It's so hard because what if you know, you have had these conversations all the way, you are obviously engaged now, and then you worry that when you do speak to him that he's going to react badly to it, like.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not the right partner, even totally.
Speaker 3: I mean that's very easy to say though, Like you know, and beck is actually living there. So if you do broach this conversation with him, do you feel that he will just be disappointed? Do you think he's going to want to call the wedding off? Like, what do you think will be his level of frustration?
Speaker 4: I think I don't think he would call the wedding off. I do think he would be really disappointed, and I think I get the feeling he would take it quite personally.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know your fiance, but I would think if he's going to pull the pin on the wedding over you broaching this, then it's.
Speaker 1: Probably perfectly honest. He needs to, and I'm sure he's a lovely person back, but he needs to understand the nuance of why you why it's important to you. I'm going to end up marrying a man one day, We're going to keep our names. Means nothing to us, and that's only because we have the privilege of being two men. He just needs to understand what is actually at play here. And I think regardless of whether or not you choose to keep your name, he needs to understand why it's important if you want.
Speaker 3: To beck speaking from experience, am I got married to my husband last year. His last name's Johnson, and I've remained a burn and both of our little girls have the last name Johnson Matt. When we originally got together, he very much said that he wanted us to have the same name in the household. He wanted me to take his name, and I sat down and had an honest conversation with him about how I really felt attached to my name and I really wanted to keep it, and I was so surprised by how okay he was with it once he realized how important it was to me and he never pushed back, so.
Speaker 5: You may be pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 3: But I think if you're just doing it because you don't want to disappoint him, but it doesn't feel authentic for you, then I think it's a really important conversation that you should have.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you, but actually makes me feel so much better. I'm going to tell him, Laura.
Speaker 5: Said, Yeah, did you tell him, Laura Burn?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But sorry in your situation, Laura, Matt, your husband didn't change his name to Burn, So if you want all the same name as a family, that's where it comes to the issue.
Speaker 4: I don't mind. It's like we have kids. We obviously want to have kids together, and he would want the kids to have his name. It's just more maybe my name.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that was a sacrifice we made as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh no, that's really good to know that. Don't so much better.
Speaker 1: If the relationship falls apart, just blame Laura Burn. Yes, you know she's the one who pushed you.
Speaker 3: In the end, Laura Johnson, she doesn't exist's saying so much.
Speaker 1: If you want to get in touch, you can hit us up on the Pickupsocials or pickup dot Com. Dot you will get you on for an as gun cut.
Speaker 5: Coming up.
Speaker 3: I want to tell you guys about a very look got a little bit heated a fight that I had with my lovely husband Maddie J. I may have doubled down.
Speaker 1: Oh good, coming up, All right, that's next on the pickup. It is the pickup. Welcome Britt, Laura and Mitch here thanks to chemist Warehouse heading today great sievings every day.
Speaker 3: Do you, guys, ever have a fight with your partner and then you know that you're wrong, Like halfway through the fight, somewhere along the way, you're like, I've made a grave error here.
Speaker 5: But then you just double down because you're stubborn.
Speaker 1: It's the shame. You can't double down once you've picked a fight. You just have to. You got a hold on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was the only way to fight. That's what you do.
Speaker 3: Look to put it into perspective, my beautiful husband Matt and I we don't fight very often, but we bicker. We bicker like an old married couple, and I think it's what keeps the spark alive.
Speaker 1: You know, you are as a young married couple.
Speaker 5: I know, but you know we had kids before we got married.
Speaker 3: So like, we're well in the trenches, right, that's what you do when you're in the trenches.
Speaker 1: You're bicker. You're bicker, you're bicker.
Speaker 3: Anyway, recently, our youngest Lola, she's two years old. She's had a horrendous ear infection, and we're both running on very little sleep. We are both tiged, and we are spread way too thin. Anyway, one night, her ear drum perforated. So, like I think some parents will know this. It's like when it's like they peek in pain, they're screaming, and then you walk in in the morning and all this gunk is just oozing out of their ears. Right, yuck, it's so yuck, But it also is just this moment of relief for them as well. So Lola, her ear drum are perforated, except I didn't know that that's what it was, or this gunk could come out of her ear. And I was like, well, she had swimming lessons in the morning, right, which, if your kids got an ear infection, you probably shouldn't send them to swimming lessons.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not if anyone as an ear infection, don't get.
Speaker 3: But also swimming lessons are expensive and her older sister was going, and so we were like, look, just go. She can kind of just get a legs wet.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: No, I was like, just just she can just play, like get her body wet, but don't like let her put her head under, you know, like don't let her get anything above the sort of the shoulders wet. But she's got a swim instructor. She could have just floated along. Her swim instructor could have bobbed her up and down a few times. Anyway, So that's what I said to Matt. I was like, she can go, but don't let her get her ear wet.
Speaker 5: And so she'd been assimming lessons for half an hour.
Speaker 3: I gave him a call and I was like, how's it all going, and he was like, oh, yeah, put a cap on, YadA YadA, yah, she's fine. I was like, what do you mean she's fine? And he was like, oh, she's she's okay, like you know, she's got a cap on. And now I felt like he wasn't taking the ear infection seriously enough, and I said she could go deaf was very dramatic, and then he got angry at me. Anyway, back and forth for a little bit The bickering escalated, and then he said, what's something he should never say on a call?
Speaker 5: He said, cheers pow? Oh them fight and were kids hard? Doesn't it cheese?
Speaker 3: It's as like, all right, ledge cheers poal. So of course I got angry and it escalated and I said.
Speaker 5: How dare you call me pal? I am not your pal? Anyway.
Speaker 3: It went on for a while and maybe I overreacted, and halfway through the overreacting, he said, are you sure you don't have your period?
Speaker 1: Hey, pal?
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, oh, he doesn't want to have a bigger he wants a fire.
Speaker 1: Ready.
Speaker 3: So I was like, how dare and anyone knows, don't say this to someone. Don't ever say it to war who's angry? I was like, how dare you minimize my feelings? I was like, this is not because I am emotional. I was like, I, you are wrong. Anyway, this it escalated. I was yelling maybe I overreacted, and he was like I don't know about this, and I was like, I reckon, and he doubled down and he once again said, I reckon, you've got your period, so.
Speaker 5: Rude, rude.
Speaker 1: I'm not dating dating women? And I know that you don't say that to women.
Speaker 3: I don't say that, even if you think that might be the case, you don't say that. And so of course I told him he was completely wrong and what he'd done had made me so upset. I even sent him a text message afterwards, and I said to him that I feel like he's been less loving lately and he needs to really think about his behavior and he should call me and apologize.
Speaker 1: At this point, I'm just wondering where they are.
Speaker 3: Who knows where she has a head under the water. The entire assuming lesson. I was upset, and I'd send a few back and forth messages. Then I stood up and I was like, Ah, there it is.
Speaker 5: I think I just got my period.
Speaker 2: You didn't tell him that though you take that to the grave, you never admit.
Speaker 1: Don't tell him. You can't tell him. He'll win that argument forever.
Speaker 3: No, it's day four now, and I have to just tell him I've got a headache for seven days.
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 3: I hate that he was right, and I really overreacted. And honey, if you're listening to this, I'm sorry that I'm such a walking cliche.
Speaker 1: Got to give him the credit it's like a basset hand. He knew like clockwork.
Speaker 5: Sniff it out me. Oh that's not it's just the once every month. I'm a peper.
Speaker 3: I'm a bit crazy and he knows it. And look, yeah, I really do hate that.
Speaker 5: I'm a walking cloichee Oh god.
Speaker 1: The Laura Johnson Byrne.
Speaker 3: Family Hunt can't wait to tell you what the arguments we have next week.
Speaker 1: All right back after this on the pickup. It is the Pickup with Britt, Laura and Mitch.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Hello, Hi, welcome rushing to chemist Warehouse for half price off vitamins and cosmetics, teas and c supply. Chemist Warehouse, great savings every day.
Speaker 5: You're always very bubbling, Mitch. And I think I've just realized why it is.
Speaker 1: I'm a nice, loving person with a great life and good friends and a radio show that I love and a door.
Speaker 2: You have zero stressing your life because you don't adult. You don't know how to adult, and you know how I know this.
Speaker 1: Hold on, where are you in on this intervention?
Speaker 5: I have done No, I am taking a back seat right here.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not an intervention, it's an accusation. I mean, you know, we're just getting coffee Laura before the show, and his mom called and he was on speaker. You know, he always puts Michelle on speaker.
Speaker 1: And Muma loves you guys, so careful what you say.
Speaker 5: We love your mum. I'm so nice to you.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Michelle. This is why I'm bringing this up. And she asked Mitch what he wants for dinner, and I was like, Oh, that's cute. They're getting ready there go to order any breach.
Speaker 1: And for context, I've just moved back in with my parents at twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Yes, Mitch's twenty seven newly single Bad Breakup moved back with the fan.
Speaker 3: Bad?
Speaker 5: Wasn't that the summary? That was a summary? And so Michelle's like, what do you want for dinner?
Speaker 4: Mitch?
Speaker 2: I thought they were going to or eats and like have a movie night, and Mitch started to rattle off this really long list. He wanted his mom to go and get from the grocery store. Then he rattled off a breakfast list salmon, multi grain, low carb bread and poached eggs.
Speaker 5: Then he said, if they have any of like this caviari and everything he likes that.
Speaker 3: No, it's not Wait, brit So was this just a shopping order. Or is your mom doing the cooking?
Speaker 1: Bitch?
Speaker 2: No, like she cooks every meal, Laura, every meal? Which, Turia, do you even know how to adult?
Speaker 1: Listen here they have said, we want to help you get back on your feet. So how we will help is we would just cook your meals for you. No, so my mum and my dad cooked my dinners and some of my breakfast and maybe a lunch if they're free.
Speaker 3: Okay, who is doing and snacks? Who is doing? Like you're washing and you're tidying of your person.
Speaker 1: You are in on this intervention. My mom does all my washing.
Speaker 5: No, she doesn't know I live at home. She does in taxes to.
Speaker 2: She does, Mitch, you're never gonna get into a relationship because you live like a charge.
Speaker 1: She just itemized some of the receipts that I printed, and she scanned them and put them in a word doc. Listen. No, no, no, no, no, because it's actually easier for my mum to do mine. Let me tell you why. Because no, it is because it'd be so confusing if if I said, I also need the washing machine. So I just put it in the basket with everyone, and she does it all in one go Mitch.
Speaker 3: This is literally weaponized in confidence to try and turn around and say, oh, it's easier for mom to do it because she's already doing it.
Speaker 1: It's not easier, it's more work. She enjoys it.
Speaker 5: This is no one I'm always washing My mom.
Speaker 1: Works two days a week, and God bless it, she loves looking after the family. That she's the best mum in the whole world, and she has offered to do this. I lived alone for years. I can adult. I may have forgotten certain key aspects, but I'm getting to help mom.
Speaker 2: She gets up before she goes to work, and you don't start work until two o'clock because we do the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: And you make her cook you breakfast before she goes to work, a hot breakfast, mind you, I heard what you said. You don't have to be at workd o.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: She meal preps on a Sunday night and she freezes.
Speaker 5: I wonder how many people are living like you.
Speaker 1: Well, the laundry is the worst part, I think, because that's like I'll go through. I've been through a lot of clothes in my hot Go walk Era. I'm sweating too. Oh God, you've set this whole thing up. Rihanna's here on six five. What's what was your mum doing for you? Rihanna?
Speaker 4: My mom is ironing for me.
Speaker 5: How old are you?
Speaker 4: Rand And I'm thirty and I've got two small kids at home too.
Speaker 1: That's so funny for you.
Speaker 3: Is it just because the volume of ironing is too high? Or is it because you don't ever want to iron? So your mom's like, fine, give it to me.
Speaker 4: Come on, that's her and she loves it, so I can't deny her. I'll take it my washingye, And and.
Speaker 1: Thank you God.
Speaker 5: Don there an intervention for you.
Speaker 3: There is no mother on the planet who enjoys ironing.
Speaker 4: Stop.
Speaker 1: My mom puts on a podcast too, and she loves life podcast she does, Thanks, Rihanna, And I love you, babe, Hianna. I'm thirteen, one of sixty five. We should all start like a walking group. I love these girls. And what does your mum do for you?
Speaker 4: My mum folds my washing every Friday?
Speaker 2: Oh, you guys are making me sick.
Speaker 5: And how old are you? Anna? Forty five?
Speaker 4: Mid thirty?
Speaker 5: Married?
Speaker 2: You're a married mother and you take your washing.
Speaker 1: So now I'm twenty seven, I've still got baby teeth, it's okay for me to do this.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 5: Do you know what I've realized.
Speaker 3: I think the intervention needs to be with my mom because she doesn't do enough. I agree, that's where we need to turn this around to give Kimbo a call next.
Speaker 2: I would pile it up, yeah, and then go over on a Friday.
Speaker 1: Or we just get Michelle. She can start making a buck. You know, she worked tw days a week. She could make some money.
Speaker 5: I don't give it a number.
Speaker 1: Out should be a business propositions, right. But back after this, I've got I've got to reheat it for retarda that's in the freezer at the office building. He's going to go, Yeah, the Kiss Studios, and it's going to love you Michelle. That's us done. You can podcast the show on iHeart. Just search the pick up pretty self explanatory and you'll get all of us and you can catch up and well, what are you standing by tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Bybee