Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, and welcome to another episode of The sit Down. I'm Mattrolope, a writer and editor for ozopen dot com, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Viv Christine, managing editor of Australian Tennis Magazine and Matt. Why are we sitting down this week with Angelique Kerbut.
Speaker 1: Well, viv Angie was another player that we got to sit down with during the Australian Open, and it was significant because it was the ten year anniversary of her triumph at AO twenty sixteen. Now, that was magnificent on so many levels, but that was a result that really kind of propelled her to become a massive fan favorite at the Australian Open. She'd always been the top player for several years before that, but something clicked and the stars aligned to see her take that next step to becoming a Grand Slam champion. And she beat Serena Williams in that classic final and it's distinct in that that's the only Australian Open final that Serena Williams has ever lost. So we got to talk to her about that and the season that unfolded after the Australian Open where she ended at world number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot to talk about when it comes to Angie and the Australian Open, but this was a wide ranging chat when she talks about where her path to Grand Slam heights began, where it led, and how she's still connected to tennis since her retirement at the Paris twenty twenty four Olympics. Angie Koba, thank you for joining us today on the sit down here at the Australian Open.
Speaker 3: Yes, nice to be here.
Speaker 2: It is of course great to have you back in Melbourne again. What are your memories of the Australian Open and how it shaped your career.
Speaker 4: You know, I have a lot of memories, you know, during my whole career, I played so well here and I spent so many birthdays in Australia. But of course twenty sixteen that was my year. To winning the Australian Open, being match point down in the first round and then two weeks later to holding the trophy.
Speaker 3: That was really really special.
Speaker 4: Playing against Serena in the final, you know, that was yeah, something I am really looking back and I will never forget this special moment.
Speaker 2: Obviously, life is quite different for you now. I mean we're king to hear what life is like for you now, but also do you miss being on the tour?
Speaker 4: I really miss it because I love to play, and you know, I still play tennis. This was always, you know, a part of my life which is still and I enjoy to be on court. I enjoy hitting, and of course, yeah, I of course I'm missing to compete. But on the other side, I have so many things to do now which are different. But also I also love to be a mom to you know, spend time a little bit different.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I have a bit of an unusual left field question I always wanted to ask during your career. You're one of the game's most famous left handed is, but as I understand it, a natural right hander.
Speaker 3: Did you work on that?
Speaker 4: No, I think, oh, this is just just spent naturally right now, I'm a left on the tennis tour. But normally that's true. I'm righty, so I do everything with my right hand. I'm eating, I'm even throughing, I'm riding with the right hand.
Speaker 3: So it's a little bit like Rafa Ruffa is doing the same.
Speaker 4: So he's playing with the left hand, but everything else he's doing right.
Speaker 3: But it just came came out like that. Thank you for clearing that up. Yeah, I don't think I knew that.
Speaker 1: If you've told me for preparing for the interview, I was like, really, I didn't. We would love, obviously to talk about your fantastic career, but we're going to take you all the way back to twenty eleven. So you were weord number ninety two and you made the US Open semifinals. We remember this clearly because you played Australian Sanstoza in the semis. But you'd never gone beyond the third round of a major, and then in New York he made the semis. So where did that result come from? And kind of how did that push you on the track that you went on.
Speaker 4: You know, I think twy eleven was a little bit a year where everything changed. Also, something makes click in my head. I don't know, but when I came to the US Open twenty eleven, I had nothing to lose. You know, I was underdog. No one was actually taking care that I will reach more than three rounds. But yeah, I reached the Samis. I played against Sam and we played three sets. I still can remember the match, and she won that year against Arena, So I was really proud that I played a really good match against Sam. I reached the Samies, and after the tournament, I don't know, I was just enjoying the tennis even more. I was trying to work in harder because I knew that I'm so close to win a major. And yeah, and since then I was really confident and I did everything what I can do to being a better player.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well from there you were pretty much a top player ever since. You were top five the next year. And then we go to the Australian Open. As you reference before, you say that match point in the first round, and you also had a really significant quarterfinal against as a ranker who you'd never beaten. She'd beaten you in Brisbane really recently, and you were down in that match and completely turned it around. So there were two significant things. And then obviously beating Serena. So again, what kind of clicked that weight to get you from like top ten player to Grand Slam champion.
Speaker 4: You know, in two weeks everything has to be come together. You know, there's no chance that you played two weeks your best tennis. So you have to deal with so many things, and even if you feel bad one day, you have to go there and win a match doesn't matter how And I remember the first round which we mentioned with a match point down. But then against Azarenka as well, I never beat her. I lost against her like two weeks before, and I knew that I have to play my best tennis and I was down and I.
Speaker 3: Had nothing to lose.
Speaker 4: I was also happy to being already in the quarters because first round I was already with one leg in the plane back to Germany, and you know, I was just trying to enjoying my tennis and I just tried to win the match. And I won the match, and I remember it was just amazing because the fans. I remember also the match. The fans support me so much, and yeah, a lot of energy out there. And that was my step to the Samis and then to the final.
Speaker 1: And so the yes, the final. It's such a memorable Australian Open Final. Serena was at the peak of her powers then she'd won, she was not far from winning the Grand Slam year before. She was well number one. She never lost an Australian Open.
Speaker 3: Final, Oh really, no never.
Speaker 1: Okay, are the only person that's ever made her in an Australia final.
Speaker 2: So how did you do?
Speaker 3: That good question. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I just knew that I have to play my best sentence because that was my first Grand Slam final and you never know if you would reach another Grand Slam final, especially on my age. I was twenty eight, so I was not the youngest player in this moment, but Serena was the favorite, and I knew that I doesn't want to play just a good match. I want to win then to beat her if I can, and I was. I was really with a lot of confidence with the matches before, beating as a Aranka, beating a good players as well, and yeah, and I just enjoyed it from the beginning, from the first point. I won the first set and then I lost the second one. So the third set was a little bit up and down. I was up for one and then she came back and then she surfed and.
Speaker 3: I break her. So it was really a lot of things going on during the match.
Speaker 4: But yeah, when I made the last point, it was just just crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a new reference to the fans as well. Yes, you became a superstar here. What you did was huge. I think people really warm to you again in the quarters as well, and ever since you've been coming to Australia have always been a fan favorite. How has that been for you and your experience of the Australian Open.
Speaker 4: It's amazing. I mean always when I'm coming back, I'm feeling like home. I mean, the people are so friendlist, They're just so making me so welcome. So I'm enjoying my time, specially also this year to being here just by myself, you know, the first time, but it's the best place to be.
Speaker 3: I really enjoy it.
Speaker 4: And yeah, the fans, the people here, they are just just amazing to me.
Speaker 1: That's great. That's great to hear.
Speaker 2: That Australian Open title. It kicked off such a banner year for you. You went on to win the US Open, you became world number one. What was it that clicked for you in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: I think the confidence, you know. I think when I won the Australian Open and I realized that I really can win the big tournaments, and I knew that I have to work even harder. I knew that everyone else wanted to beat me, but I was trying to just improving myself, you know, and taking this confidence from Australia and Open to the next level to the next tournaments and yeah, and also twenty sixteen I reached, first of all, my first Womurton final, also against Areena. She beat me then, but that was also a huge slap for me, you know, to reaching a Womorton final in this year where I won Australian Open, and yeah, getting to the US Open. Winning the US Open my second Grand Slam, and in that time I reached the number one spot, so a lot of things going on three weeks before I know it was later I got the silver medal as well, so that was also in this year. So a lot of things, and that was for sure my best year.
Speaker 2: You mentioned the Wimburden final, but you did go on to win Wimbureden in twenty eighteen, so you'd won three other four Grand slams. So when you reflect on your career, what did those titles mean to you?
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 4: I mean, especially Australian Open that was my first one, and this you know, first Grand slams are always special. I think everyone who knows and who want Grand Slams, they know how it is to win the first one. And yeah, women is for me also really really big on my career because when I was a kid. I was always dreaming to winning womurten, so you know, winning it, getting a second chance. You know, two years later when I reached the first final again against Serena, which also is crazy to beat her there was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was amazing. And with the.
Speaker 4: US Open spots or like winning yours Open, getting to the number one spot, yeah, it changed everything, you know, it changed me. It changed a little bit also the way I was looking then, the confidence and yeah, it's it's I doesn't want to miss it anymore.
Speaker 2: We we have two players this year in Melbourne who are in contention to win the Career Slam, which is Carlos Ocras and Egos Fia Chech.
Speaker 3: What what do you make of that question?
Speaker 2: Was that ever something that you were conscious of in your own career?
Speaker 4: You know, of course I was when I went to Paris. I had this always in my mind. But you know, clay was never my favorite surface. So let's say that. And I know that Carlos and Eager they will do it one day because they are still young. They have so many chances to do it, and they are still on the road this year, so who knows if one of them will make it this year. But I'm I'm sure they will do it. It's it's not easy, I know it, but I think they are good enough to do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's nice, and we've never had two plies to Charissam at the same timement say you know, yeah, they.
Speaker 3: Could be history. We'll say, who knows.
Speaker 1: In your career, some of your biggest rivals like Caroline Warsniak Agneshka once ago, were your friends as well. So what was it like to kind of balance that having really good friends who are also competing for the same price as you are. And do you keep in touch with them now?
Speaker 4: I'm still in touch with them and they are really good and close friends to me. So yeah, we live the same life, so we know exactly how it is and how we have to deal with everything, like during the tennis career. But also now they are both moms as well, so we have so many topics to talk about. But of course during the career, we when we played against each other, we always tried to play our best. You know they are when we are on court, we are really competitor. But like just after the match in the locker room, we already talk to each other, We already make an appointment for dinner, and so I think this is important, especially when you are like so many weeks around and to getting some close friends maybe to go for a coffee talk about something else, not only about tennis. I think it's really important for the players, for the people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good balance. Yes, the other thing we want to ask you about with German tennis, obviously Alexanders Veras on court now he's so consistent at the top of the game. On the women's side, eve Lise has been a real rising staff for Germany. What is German tennis like in your eyes now that you're off the tour and watching it.
Speaker 4: You know, of course you have Alexandra Alexander Srerev, which yeah, is always good for surprises during the tournament, and he never won a Grand Slam yet, but who knows what's happened here because I know that one day he will win a Grand Slam because he's working really, really hard and he put everything on the practice courts and we know that he can play good tennis. And yeah, the women's side, it's a little bit different because on my time we had so many good players, We had so many top thirty, top fifty players with Patkovic with Alisiki with ye great great names, and yeah, it's I think on the women's side we have to wait a little bit to get there again.
Speaker 3: We have good junior's players.
Speaker 4: We have Efa of course she had the great run last year, and also we have Laura Tatiana. They are a little bit my generation and they are still playing. But yeah, let's see what's what's happened in the woman's side in the next years in Germany.
Speaker 2: And you've also we know we have you have really strong Polish connections. Yes, do you feel any affinity with Egeriontech.
Speaker 3: You know, I know her very well as well.
Speaker 4: It's not really my generation like Aga and also Caro, which is also half Polish. But yeah, I see that she is really putting the work on it. She's really strong mentally, and she's still young, and she reached so many titles, she won so many titles right now and yeah, she's hungry, she's still the motivation is really high and she will be around for the next few years for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and as we talked about earlier, you are Nawama. When you look back on your career, is tennis a professional tennis career something that you would encourage for your children if they choose to.
Speaker 3: Do that, of course.
Speaker 4: I mean, if they choose to be a tennis player, why not. I mean I get through so I have a lot of experience. But on the other side, I will not push them, you know, if they really want it, if they love to play, why not. But first of all, they are still young. They have to play, they have to find what they want, what they love, and I would like to just hit with them one day. So this is for sure a small goal for me. But if not, it's also not It's fine, but let's see. For me, it's really important that they have fun, whatever they want, whatever they choose, and spending time with them.
Speaker 3: I think that's the most important thing right now.
Speaker 1: Of course, we have spent a lot of time talking about your incredible career highlights, and when you reflect on all of them, do you have one single favorite?
Speaker 4: This is really tough. I don't have just that's all everything. I think, of course Australia and Open. Then I have Wimburton, You're Open number one, sport met Yeah, so many things. That's not only one.
Speaker 1: No, that's fair. That's a tough question.
Speaker 3: Australian said yes for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for joining us on the thanked it's been wonderful to have you in the studio.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: That well, viv I found it really interesting that when we asked Angie at the end of the interview to kind of name her biggest career highlight, she actually really struggled to pin one down. And I think that kind of symbolizes the fact that her career was full of so many milestones and achievements And.
Speaker 2: Isn't it fantastic to still have Angie involved in tennis because she sets such a great example over what was a really long and impressive career.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and also preparing for the interview, when we were going back and researching kind of you know, all of her matches and her rise and her path just reminded us of what incredible spirit she brought to the sport. So many epic matches, classic matches. I think that was a testament to her fighting spirit and her fitness and her competitiveness, the fact she could play on all the surfaces. There are so many brilliant matches over the years in tennis that involve her, So it was really cool to remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down. Please remember to subscribe so you never missed an episode in your feed, and we'd love you to leave us a rating and review.
Speaker 1: See you next week, Matt, See then, Viv