Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: My name is Satasha Nabananga Bamblet. I'm a proud or the Order Kerni Whaltbury and a waddery woman. And before we get started on She's on the Money podcast, I would like to acknowledge the traditional custodians of the land of which this podcast is recorded on a wondery country, acknowledging the elders, the ancestors and the next generation coming through. As this podcast is about connecting, empowering, knowledge sharing and the storytelling of you to make a difference for today and lasting impact for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: She's on the Money, She's on the Money.
Speaker 4: Hello, and welcome to She's on the Money, the podcast that reminds you that even the most financially savvy people have made money mistakes, and today we're talking about them and we're doing something a little different. Victoria is usually the one leading the charge, helping us get our money sorted. What about her journey? Anyone cares about her journey? How did she go from feeling totally overwhelmed by money to becoming the finance expert we all turn to. I'm excited and as always I'm joined of course by Victoria Divine retired financial advisor. It makes you sound like eighty years old.
Speaker 1: I know, And how else do you explain that? Though?
Speaker 5: Well, retired ex financial advisor. I remember when we were trying to pick and it's like, oh, well, how do we refer to you because I'm not legally allowed to say I'm a financial advisor?
Speaker 4: Sure right?
Speaker 1: Do I say X? And then you might think I got kicked out of.
Speaker 4: The industry, true, like a criminal, Like like, what did she do?
Speaker 1: Advisor?
Speaker 5: Anymore's guys, I left willingly, I sold the business. I stepped out to do this. So retired just makes it sound a little bit nicer.
Speaker 1: Oh that's her, actually, I think.
Speaker 4: But she's not. You do sound that's true.
Speaker 5: That's okay because a lot of my money habits and like my personality traits are that of a senior citizen.
Speaker 4: So that's well checks out. Actually, VD is not only a retired financial advisor, but also best selling author, number one money podcast host, business owner and the reason we all know what an emergency fund is.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's very sweet. You didn't have to intro me like that.
Speaker 4: Well, sorry, but we got to be celebrating.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie I'm really nervous about me. Like it's funny because I can podcast till the cows come home and talk about money and like my advice and like it's like my subject matter topic.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: But the second you turn the tables and go can you talk about you? I'm like, oh, you're like kind of fumble at I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, totally. And the lights in these studios are just healthy. I know, I totally get it. Usually we're just talking about you by proxy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, but.
Speaker 4: This is all eyes on you. So if it's okay, I'm just going to like run through a Q and A with you. O.
Speaker 1: I am nervous, but let's go.
Speaker 4: Okay. So first question I have. You've helped so many people rewrite their money story, but I want to know what was your earliest memory of money, and like was it something you were aware of growing up or did it not seem like a big deal at the time.
Speaker 1: I have a few early memories of money.
Speaker 5: So I grew up in Tasmania and we used to go down or up to this beach called Greens Beach and very family friendly at the time, Like it just had one general store and that was it. In the general store sold petrol, it's old golf balls, it had a fish and chip counter, it had all the lollies, did everything right. I love those And I remember when I was younger, my parents used to give us like we would We'd be let loose, like this was acceptable at the time. We'd go out onto the rock pools, like down at the beach and like hang around there, me and my older cousins, and then we would go to the general store with our gold coins and we get hot chips with extra chicken salt, and then we would take them back to the beach. And I remember that was really cool because at the time gold coins felt like lots of money, like they weren't silver coins.
Speaker 1: They were gold.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's something so like, yeah, they're invincible, yea.
Speaker 5: And like that was so cool. But I always remember feeling a little bit like, oh.
Speaker 4: I really want the chippies when we're at the beach, but I don't want to ask mom and dad for the money, because I always felt like that was a bit like at the time, and I don't know where this came from, you shouldn't ask for money, like you shouldn't ask for it.
Speaker 5: But I mean, as I got older, I definitely asked for it. And then another moment that I have that's in my brain that you know, I would say, is maybe a negative association with money again it was about asking for money from my parents. Was when I was younger, and I was probably in like maybe grade two or three at school and I came home and my mum used to get a little bit grumpy at me when I didn't give her the forms that I got at school, like they'd just sit in the bottom of my school bag for ages. And some of them was genuinely because I forgot, but other times it was because I didn't want to give it to her because it was like, oh, we need to, like do I don't know how much it was, because like I never remember, but like maybe it was like twenty dollars for like a school excursion or something.
Speaker 1: And I used to just get.
Speaker 5: The itch even in grade two about pulling it out and being like, oh, Mom and Dad, like I need money for this sixcursion. Like it just never felt comfortable, and that might just be me, or it might just be you know, how I've grown up around money. I don't know, but that's yeah, I would say two of my earliest memories around like money.
Speaker 4: You sound like a dream child. I feel like I was constantly even though we were like perpetually broke, I'll constantly ask you for money. It had no concept of outwork.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think that comes from like and that's so fine, and like it's not a good or a bad thing. But I think I could tell well in a way that money at the time might have been stressful or significant. Yeah, it definitely had some significance. Like I couldn't tell you what was going on or why, but I knew that it would add pressure. And I just remember that feeling of not wanting.
Speaker 4: To add pressure. They're so sweet.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's fair. Okay, I have another question, if you're ready. I feel like I should have been given these questions in advance. I could have prepared, but here we are. Yeah. No, that's true.
Speaker 5: But it sometimes it's better to just like yolo. I mean, you're just getting it raw. I mean that's what you probably want anyways, that's what I want.
Speaker 4: I want to raw. What's the most valuable money habit or belief you picked up early in life that still makes sense today.
Speaker 5: I like that you've said still makes sense, yeah, because it doesn't mean I did it, but I was taught this from a young age, so.
Speaker 4: It's kind of a pun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my dad was a accountant or is an accountant.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you ever stopped being an accountant, and.
Speaker 5: Growing up, he always said, always save the first five percent your paycheck and pretend you don't have it, because if you start that habit early, you will always not have that money and you can always just save it. And as your income increases, that five percent goes through being like four dollars to forty dollars and like that will increase.
Speaker 1: And that's always stuck.
Speaker 5: With me because it's kind of about this idea of paying yourself first, and he used to like drum that into us, Like when I got my first job, he was like, Okay, make sure that you're saving. Did I do it, though, beck No? No, So, like that is a money lesson that I have had with me for a long time that potentially I didn't actually implement.
Speaker 1: Sure is that answering their question? No, absolutely, because I.
Speaker 5: Can't think of something that I'm like, yeah, I've always been good at money and I used to do that, Like I haven't been good at money sure, like I am now, And I think that that comes down to two things. One obviously discovering my money story, being able to get on top of it, being able to have these open, honest conversations, and like being comfortable getting on top of it, but also honestly having a little bit more of it, like having the cash flow to support the lifestyle, because I genuinely don't know what would happen if I was earning the income that I used to earn, whether I would have at some points to come to being like, look, I really want to do this other thing and gone into personal debt or something, just because that's like, that's my personality, Like it's inherent in who I am to be relatively impulsive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that makes sense. So I don't want to say to people.
Speaker 5: I'm perfect and now like I've recovered from being in debt and you know, I'm not in debt anymore, and I am you know, the holy grail of savings and money. Like I get that that's what I share, but I also think that we need to remember that I'm just a girl, Like I am impulsive, Like I can resonate with a lot of things when people like I'm in after pay debt, I'd be like, okay, well I've never been in after pay debt. But I fully understand that if I was in that financial position and I still wanted that stuff, do you know what come midnight and I'm still on my phone, maybe I would have given.
Speaker 4: It a crack, like yeah, yeah, exactly, you totally. Also, I feel like there's like something in when you've been in debt and you get out of it and the fear of egg.
Speaker 1: It's so scary, but it makes me feel sick.
Speaker 4: Totally. Same even if I get like a debit success email because my anytime fitness thing didn't work, I get stressed anxious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so like I do the same thing in the uns Like it's funny. I actually got a call yesterday because I missed an invoice. Yeah, and it was for like two hundred dollars. That wasn't like it was a business invoice. I just it was for my being completely transparent, It was for my accountant because I have lots of different entities. I have lots of different fees that I pay for different things, and like, honestly, I just missed it and the lady called me, and I I won't say I freaked out, but I was like, oh my god, I'm so sorry, like just like, oh, it's just three hundred bucks. I'm just following up on, you know, the invoicing. You're like, you know, you don't usually miss any of them, and like con text, I paid tens of thousands of dollars a year in accounting fees. That's just part and parcel of running businesses, having what we do right, and so this two hundred dollars shouldn't have been an issue.
Speaker 1: I felt sick.
Speaker 5: I immediately am talking across the room to Sarah and I was like, Sarah, can you please look at my emails, like can you please find it? I can't seem to find it because I was frazzled looking my emails trying to find this invoice that I hadn't paid, and I was like, it's in there, can you please look it up? And then you know, she couldn't open it on her computer because it had timed out. Well, email them, email them and find out what it was. Like yeah, I was just so and I'm like, can you pay it now? And she's like, yeah, I think I can pay it now. I was like, yeah, do that do that.
Speaker 4: Like, I just hate the idea that I would owe somebody money. Yeah, Like I won't say that that's trauma, but it can sometimes feel that way. Yeah. No, I totally get that. There are lots of people that have a lot worse things going on, but it's like it triggers that fight or flight in you because you know, you know that feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I felt sick and yeah, could if thord it? Yeah, like I can, I can afford.
Speaker 4: And that's so nice now, But I think in those moments, you forget where you've been and what you've come from, and you just go.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, I owe someone money and I didn't transfer it. Oh no, Like I genuinely was real frazzled. Oh my god, I completely get that.
Speaker 4: So relatable. Okay, my next question for you. When you first started making your own money, how did you handle it?
Speaker 5: So my first job was working at an ice cream shop on the Mornington Peninsula. I thought it was a coolest job ever.
Speaker 4: Weird boss, who Now I look back, you shouldn't have been managing people. But okay, I would say poorly, but I had a good time. Nice poorly, but I had a good time. Like I was young, I was fourteen years and nine months. I had some income coming in. I didn't know at all what superannuation was. I didn't know how tax worked, and at the time, I don't think I cared, because I think once I learned that it got taken out before I got my money, I was like whatever, Like I don't care.
Speaker 1: I would save up my money.
Speaker 5: And the closest big shopping area was Frankston at the time, and if I was lucky, Mum would let me catch the bus after school to Frankston with a couple of my girlfriends, where we would go to so Prey and look at all of the stuff at the Prey and get our pink tote bags. And I remember the headbands. I think they were like four ninety nine, like the really skinny headbands with the boats.
Speaker 1: Do you remember them. They were made of elastic. I had so many of them.
Speaker 5: I at the time really liked the slogan T shirts there because they had like, I don't know, weird slogans or.
Speaker 1: Semile T shirts. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can remember that.
Speaker 5: And I've always been into clothes and fashion and stuff. And then there was this other store I can't remember what it was called and I wish I could, but it was like I want to say, Joanne Lee or something like that. Yeah, it sold. Do you remember the brand face Off like they did like face Off jeans and familiar. They weren't super expensive, but for me at the time, they definitely felt it. And all the cool girls wore those chees that real low rise, like sometimes a bit of a flair moment. And so I spent my money on that. I would spend my money at McDonald's. So my friends and I would go to McDonald's. Oh you got to school, oh yeah, And at the time, I remember like it was a four dollar meal deal, Like it was a chicken and cheeseburger, a small chips, a small coke, and a Sunday for four dollars.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, bargain, I know, right.
Speaker 1: Good deal. So we'd go do that.
Speaker 5: I used to go to the movies a lot like that was always like a good activity.
Speaker 1: Growing up on the Peninsula. There wasn't a lot.
Speaker 5: Of activities you could do after school or like a bud village yep, go down to the plaza. So all of my money, honestly, it wasn't on big things like I can't ever remember going. Oh, I saved up all of my money and spent it on X. I remember at one point my parents matched me because they really wanted to promote my savings, and I got an iPod Mini c pink iPod Mini. So I would say that was probably the biggest thing at the time that I had saved for. But all my money just went because like at the time, maybe I was earning like fifty to one hundred dollars a week with my part time job like max. Yeah, but all of that in a week would go on, like you know, little accessories and stuff a' to prey and going out for you know, after school things with my friends to McDonald's and the movies and just gone, just gone.
Speaker 1: So was I good at money?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: But no, I's just enjoying my teenagehood. I suppose you're just a tiny baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you enjoy the finer things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the finer things being a McDonald's chicken and cheeseburger four meal deal.
Speaker 4: I would argue those are still the finer things.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Do you know what if that was still for like that was a.
Speaker 4: Good deal, all I'd be eating fials. I feel like sometimes it is for dollars, like I feel like they haven't including the Sunday. Oh maybe not including the sun.
Speaker 1: But the Sunday was like the literal cherry on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's true, that's Truectually. I'm curious about what flavored Sunday you go for caramel always, I viscerally, like in my gut, I knew you were going to say, Cary, you did, but I was like, that's outrageous.
Speaker 1: Do you know what Jessica Briechi picks.
Speaker 4: She's strawberry.
Speaker 1: She's Oh my god, what you saw.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know you guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you're inside our brains.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, before you had your money sorted, Yeah, what was life actually like? What were the biggest money headaches for you back then?
Speaker 5: So I moved out of home when I was eighteen, and I moved out because I wanted to go to university and I lived on the Mornington Peninsula and at that point, the big freeway hadn't been built yet pink no, no, Peninsula Link wasn't a thing yet. So to get from my house like where I lived with my parents, which I definitely could have stayed in, like they were very generous to get to the city was about an hour and a half, right, And I really wanted to go to university, and so made the decision to move out. And I moved out with a couple of housemates, just people I went to school with at the time. We got an apartment in South Bank, and I think my biggest struggles were.
Speaker 1: Rent and food and managing all of that.
Speaker 5: I just remember the rude shock of having to pay for everything that I hadn't really thought about before. Yeah, and like, I mean, it's not like it is today. Things were much cheaper, Like olive oil was just olive oil, it wasn't liquid gold. But having to buy those like household items like washing machine liquid and you know, at the time, vacuum cleaner bags. Oh yeah, vacuum cleaner bags everything. I remember being like what the hell, like this is full, and then realizing that they were actually super expensive. And then I remember spending like a whole afternoon pulling all of the junk out of the vacuum cleaner bags so I could reuse it. Yes, and so yeah, money wasn't in abundance. But I also worked really hard, So like I'll give myself credit for working really hard. So while I was at university, I was working like three jobs. I was working at least forty hours a week. But even though I had that income coming in, I can't tell you where it went like it went on my lifestyle. It went on, you know, city, paying for clothes, paying for shoes, like I always was, and I would say still and well dressed, but to a downfall at that point in time. So you would have looked at me and been like, oh, she has her stuff together as a first y UNI student, But like I was living very week to week. Was I ever in you know, serious significant financial struggles? No, and like I've always had. I want to call it the bank of Mum and Dad, but you know, my parents aren't so well off that I could just call them that. It wasn't ever a comfortable call. But there were definitely a few times where I was like, do you think I can borrow one hundred dollars? Or can you please help me here or there? And I'm so grateful for that help, but it would be a missed to not mentioned that I had that in the background. But I think having that meant I felt safe not to be responsible, yeah, if that makes sense. Like I didn't feel like I ever had to worry about an emergency fund because like, at the end of the day, yeh, it's uncomfortable, but I could call my mum, Like at the end of the day, I called X y Z. So I always kind of had that fail safe. Yeah, and like it felt icky, Like I never liked it, but it definitely was something that I, yeah, nice to have the back of your head. Yeah, totally, And I think we need to talk about that because so many of us end up in a situation that we're not super proud of, but like we just don't really know how we got there, and like I know how I got there. But yeah, my entire journey was I would say comfortable. But like first, ye university, I was working three jobs. I was working two hospitality jobs and a retail job on a Saturday because I want to double and a half time rates, so I didn't have much free time. And then in between all of that, I would actually do like sessional swim teaching in the mornings and stuff before UNI sometimes cool, but yeah, so I had income coming in. But I would say that even with all of that work, it was at the time minimum wage. And I think my tax returns probably said it would be between twenty five and thirty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so not mass amounts. I see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, Now I want to know was there a specific moment where you were like, no, this isn't working for me. I need to sort this out or was it like a process.
Speaker 5: It wasn't early on, it wasn't at UNI or whatever. It was definitely once I got my first full time job. So when I've got my first full time job, I had finished two degrees and had just started kind of like dabbling whether I would do like a master's degree or not.
Speaker 1: I did a lot of.
Speaker 5: Like graduate interviews because I really wanted to work in organizational psychology, and I was dabbling in like you know, interviewing at Deloitte and doing all these other things. And then I got offered the role that I got offered, which was not a graduate position. It was a consultant role, and like I thought, I'd hit the jackpot because like that was like the step above graduate, and I felt like I could turbocharge, if that makes sense. Like, yeah, I jumped something like it was like snakes and ladders, and I'd hit a ladder and I jumped up and I remember my and I found it the other day because I was talking to one of the teammates and I was like, I, reckon, this is in my email, like my first employment contract, and it was fifty five thousand dollars a year including super Yeah, and I felt rich, Like I genuinely felt like that it was the most amount of money I'd ever earned in my entire life. But I think that dynamic change of not being a grad, not having other grads around me, I went straight into the big swimming pool of the consultants who were in their mid thirties forties, and I saw them and I thought they were doing so well. And I did definitely play into and this is only in retrospect. I didn't know I was doing it at the time, playing that like keeping up with the Joneses mentality of like they have really nice suits, I really probably should get a nice suit, and like the stuff that I was wearing at the time, Like I would mainly shop at like Portman's, and I would go to like Zara and then like match it with like cute kmart tops and singlets, so like I was good at finding stuff. But then I'd see people in like Shinier suits, and I'd be like, oh, I really probably should invest in a really good suit. And I've said this before, and I think that's because that's my big purchase that was kind of pivotal, Like it was kind of like a it made me feel so good, Like I bought this suit. It was navy blue. I bought the skirt and the pants of it that matched the jacket. Because the jacket was so expensive, I was like, I need to get like maximum wear out of this, and it was from Saba and it probably cost me like six hundred dollars, right, and at the time, that's an astronomical amount of money. Yeah, but also in comparison to that salary, like that's not I don't know. I look back and I go Victoria divine, Like that was very irrisp constable. I don't regret it because I did feel really good and it gave me a lot of confidence. So like, you've got to weigh up the pros and cons. But yeah, I think for me, that was the downfall of it. At that point, I was still functioning completely in cash, so I paid cash for that off my debit card. But after that, I remember applying for a five hundred dollar credit card. Yeah, and I got that, and then I remember pushing that up to one thousand dollars. And then because it was like the start and I mentioned just before I was thinking about doing my masters, I then enrolled in a Master's of Business Administration. So I did my MBA and as a part of that program, I think it was maybe like almost twelve months after I started my full time gig, I got the opportunity to do like a secondment semester in France. Cool, right, very cool, And that was only offered if you like met certain criteria and had like certain grades and whatever. And I was like so excited and like I'd applied for it, I think, kind of not assuming I would get in. And then when I got in, it was like this mad scramble of I really want to go, but I can't afford to go, and there's no way, Like this isn't one hundred dollars for a mum and dad. Like I'd done my maths to like study abroad, I was going to have to take leave without pay, Like what do I do about the house that I live in? Like do I keep my rent or not?
Speaker 1: Do I?
Speaker 5: You know, like there was a lot of questions how was I going to afford accommodation overseas as well as like living expenses and not being able to work, Like how do we work that out? And then on top of that, it was in my head, I'm like, well, I haven't really traveled properly before this. Should I also do a holiday on top of that? And then you know, the conversation of a personal loan came into it, and I decided, Okay, well I could just get a loan for this and I can deal with all of this later. And I ended up getting a personal loan. And at the same time, my car was dying. Yes, so I had all of these big expenses and I needed a new car. And in retrospect, like you know when you look back on things and you're like, I should have done that so differently, like what are you doing? But it all made sense at the time. I needed a new car, I needed to go to France. I also wanted to add on a bit of a holiday.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Ultimately I took out a forty thousand dollar personal loan and I wish I didn't do. I regret going to France and doing the things that I did. No, absolutely not like I had the best time. I made some incredible friends. I have these beautiful memories. I don't regret it. But when I say I regret the debt, it's not because I regret the things I spent it on. Yes, I've got literally nothing to show for it, But I really feel the pressure that I was under when I returned home was so immense that it impacted my mental health and like how I felt and how I couldn't sleep, and it made me not eat, and like all of these other things, Like I just I didn't know how I was coming up with that eight hundred and eighty three dollars every single month to pay.
Speaker 1: That debt off.
Speaker 4: Yeah jeez, And like the idea that I was paying that off, but like the debt never went down, like that was the minimum, and like when am I going to get out of this?
Speaker 1: Is this forever?
Speaker 5: And then like you extrapolated out and I was recently single. I'd come out of a very long term relationship. The boyfriend that I had had before I went I was in a relationship with for seven and a half years. Oh wow, And I think it was all of that combined. I was like, no, I deserve this I'm going to do something for me, and I took out this really big loan and then I just couldn't sleep, I could eat, I couldn't do literally anything. It was I would say, crippling. Oh yeah, and like if you've never been in debt, you don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yes, you don't get it.
Speaker 5: And it's like you've done something wrong and you're up at three am just ruminating on it. Like it's that feeling of like what am I going to do? How am I going to do it? And like everything's worth at three am, but like that's when you wake up and think about it. So I was having really bad sleep, I wasn't performing well at work. I was just anxious all the time, but also still wanting to keep up with my friends. Oh man, So my friends didn't know I was in debt. No, and they'd be like, do you want to go out for dumplings? Of course I do, but yeah, what do you do in those situations?
Speaker 4: I know, I know, I completely get it, and I obviously, as you know, have been there. Okay, Vid, I'm going to give you like a few moments to just reset and let's go to a quick break on the flip side, I'm going to ask you some more questions. But I do understand the anxiety around talking about debt, So I'm like.
Speaker 1: I'll let you have a little sit.
Speaker 4: You're feeling anxious now, but at the time, oh my goodness, oh my god, I totally get it. Okay, we'll be right back. Welcome back everyone. How are you feeling? Oh, I'm fine, yeah, fine, It's interesting. I'm like, I want to share this about how do I articulate myself. I don't worry about that, no, but I want to give you like all of the like oh and I was doing this and like, oh this added to it, and like I was going out of a relationship, and I think we can all relate to, like, yeah, coming out like I wanted to treat myself like I don't know absolutely.
Speaker 1: It's also like triggering memories for me.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, oh and oh, and so this is probably a really disjointed podcast, So I do apologize.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm enjoying it personally. Okay, Okay, so you've had your oh my god, I need to fix this moment. You've made the first move. But then what did things finally start falling into place? It was like a total mess before it got better.
Speaker 1: When you got out of debt, or when you were working out.
Speaker 5: We did it just all you woke up one day and it fell into place back personally, God, No, I sure journey eally, and I don't think there's ever it's going to fall into place moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I just had this realization.
Speaker 5: It was when one of my best friends shared with me her saving skull. I remember I was at brunch and it was an expensive brunch and I was picking the cheapest thing off the menu at the time, and I remember her talking about wanting to do like I can't even remember what it was like. The thing that sits in my head is I could tell you exactly the table where were sitting at at brunch and where we were. I can't remember what her savings goal was for, but I remember being shocked that she had savings, Like I remember being like, wait, what, You're not like me. I lived with this girlfriend, like she was my housemate at the time. Yeah, And I remember being like sorry, what, Like you have savings? I thought we were both Like I knew that I had debt and I hadn't told anybody about that, And I don't think I assumed she had debt, but I didn't think she had the capacity to save because we had not the same jobs, but similar jobs.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, similar, what do you mean what?
Speaker 5: And I think that was a very like for me, it was very confronting because we had very similar incomes and what do you mean you have a whole heap of savings and you're going to go to Europe and or you know, like that feeling of oh okay, And so for me that was a bit of an eye opening, like I probably should work on debt. I didn't immediately start getting out of debt, but I was really seriously going, I need to do something about this. And so at the time I did not believe that I could get out of debt on my own. I was googling what does it mean to go bankrupt? And that doesn't mean that I was in that exact situation, but I didn't know anything about money. I was googling what does it mean to go bankrupt? How would that impact me? Like at the time, I didn't have, you know, a business.
Speaker 4: Or anything like that, and I was working in this organizational psychology role in a consulting space, and like I knew that financial advisors existed because like some of our clients were financial advisors, and so I was like, Okay, maybe I'll go see an advisor. And I did all my research and I went and saw a financial advisor and he was at the time lovely, but then he's like, okay, like, let's put it on a white board.
Speaker 1: How much debt have you got?
Speaker 5: And I felt really judged, but I told him, and he put it on the white board and like drew up some things and basically told me that like I wasn't a good client for him.
Speaker 4: Ah, that's nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I was kind of there going, oh, I was happy to spend money to have a plan to get out of debt because I just didn't I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I didn't know what to look up. I didn't know like I thought this was going to be the thing that solved it for me. And I walked away from that meeting feeling like trash. I felt like I'd wasted his time. I felt like and at the time, I did feel like I'd wasted his time, like I wasn't in this. Oh my god, what a rude person, Like I felt awful and so yeah, that all happened, and then I was like, well, maybe no one's going to save me, Like maybe I have to do this myself. And I started like looking things up on YouTube, and like, you know, I learned about the Snowball method versus the Avalanche method, and I was like, oh my god, there are all these people like the debt free community and they are talking about it. And then you know, there was a whole heap of other stuff going on in my work life where I was secondered to a financial advice business and I was doing some engagement work for them, and I realized that their work was way cooler than mine, Like mine was about impact, right, Like I was engagement and I could like sort of measure that, but like they were like sitting clients down and showing them like these plans, and I love a plan. I'm so type A like I love having a plan and I can show a client where I'm getting that from. And I could see that their clients were really happy, and I kind of wanted to learn more about that. So originally it wasn't necessarily about getting myself out of debt, but I kind of put the two and two together again in hindsight and was really interested in that because I think it benefited me at the time. And then when I realized, okay, you can create a plan. Okay, I can't just keep paying this eight hundred and eighty three dollars off every single month and think I'm getting ahead. I need to create a plan where I can pay off some more. I was considering things like weekend work and like, you know, trying to work that out. And then, yeah, I think that was my moment of working out what I needed to do. And I think that realization that I couldn't just pay off the minimum and that would be okay. I had to actually throw a lot more at it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: That was confronting and hard, and I wasn't out of debt like no, of course, it did feel like I was in a bit more control. Yeah. Yeah, So at some point VID took the leap and kind of like turned into finance, which is so funny because I feel like finance at that time was maybe like a bit anxiety in guy it was, but I genuinely felt like by helping other people, I felt more in control of my money. Yeah, because I was forcing me to walk the walk. That makes it any way like, still nobody knew about my debt.
Speaker 5: I hadn't told anybody Like this was still very like secret squirrel, Like I was very ashamed of this. This wasn't something that had you asked me if I had debt. But I think I would.
Speaker 1: Have lied to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so fair.
Speaker 1: Like am I proud of that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: But yeah, I think I would have lied to you. Yeah, Like I think I would have been like, no, I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolutely, because there's such a stigma around like Jay, keep go boss, Yeah, there is a stigma which we are trying to change every single absolutely we are.
Speaker 1: But like, how do I change it If I'm not going to be honest about it?
Speaker 4: I know that's it. But no, So you took the leap, And I wonder, like, if there's someone listening to this they weren't thinking about making a big career change, what's the best advice you've got for them?
Speaker 1: Make a plan?
Speaker 5: So I took the leap for a plethora of different reasons, Like I wasn't feeling like the engagement stuff was as nourishing as it could be. I wasn't saying things like that though I was just not feeling comfy with it. And I was like, you know, peeving across the fence, being like, what are other people doing on their job? Looks really interesting, and like I did have the privilege of like, that'syconment, so I could see what other people were doing literally in the office I was in, and I was like, I could definitely do that, and I took the leap into finance, but it wasn't, you know, an uncalculated risk ultimately, I so the first role I took in finance was for someone else, and I was managing their HR and like recruitment and engagement stuff inside of financial advice business, and that was agreed upon because I really wanted to be in financial advice, but obviously I wasn't an advisor. And while I was helping with that, I was studying to be I'm a financial advisor, and I was finishing off my MBA at the same time, so I was doing all of that, and I think because I was doing my MBA, which is a Master's of Business Administration, it was a lot about running a business and operating a business because I kind of knew that's what I wanted to do. Like winding back I had at the time the opportunity to do my Masters of Organizational Psychology or my Masters of Business Administration, and I was actually working in that consulting role. That meant I probably didn't need my Masters of bogsite because I was already in the space working, So like, why would I go and get the degree that would let me get that job when I already had the job. So I kind of decided that the MBA would make sense, and through that learned a lot about managing a business, what that would look like, and I think that pushed me into going, no, you really do want your own business at some point. So yeah, one thing led to another, and I knew that once I became a financial advisor, I didn't want to be a financial advisor that just worked for someone else. I wanted to be a financial advisor that had her own business. And so I think from the get go there was a lot of research into well, what does that.
Speaker 1: Look like, how much does that cost?
Speaker 5: And like I wasn't able to do that immediately, like I was working for another financial advisory practice at the same time as like building this up, But that was all very transparent, I think because I've always been quite headstrong if I want something like, I'm not going to skirt around it and going to be like, hey, bex, So I was thinking, this is like ultimately what I want to achieve, but obviously I can't do that right now?
Speaker 1: Do you reckon?
Speaker 4: We could do abcdn Sure, And that's what happened. That is so cool, And I think you've just got to ask, yeah, like, and if you want to make a really big career change, make a plan like, yes, you might have to take two steps backwards, but like ultimately it might shotgun you forward. Absolutely, you're climbing a ladder that you want to climb. Snakes and ladders, baby, Exactly when you started making more money, yeah, how did you keep yourself from slipping into old habits and letting lifestyle creep take over good?
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 5: When I started making more money, I was contributing more to my debt. But at the time, my debt honestly felt like a burden still, Like I was just like I didn't want to be putting money towards it. I didn't see it in the way that I see debt now. Like if you're in personal debt and you you know, said to.
Speaker 1: Me V what do I do.
Speaker 5: I'm like, okay, cool, Like, let's make a plan and everything that you're paying off your debt. Beck like, that's you proving to yourself that that is one day what your savings will be.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like, I didn't see it that way, and I wish that I had someone that like was like, hey, like this is actually really good habit setting and like, look at what you could do into the future.
Speaker 1: I didn't see it that way. So was I amazing at money?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 5: I think I was still very much living week to week. I did start saving some money, though. Should I have been saving while having debt? No, but I'm not gonna lie. That made me feel really financially secure. And so ultimately, once I, you know, learn a lot more about finance, and you know, I'm working in this financial advice space, it's kind of like the plumber that has a leaky tap. Just because I knew the right thing to do did not mean I was doing it right. I knew that I probably shouldn't be sitting on a whole heap of savings when I had debt, because if you have debt and you have savings, you don't have savings. So ultimately I did end up transferring most of that to my debt pay it off and keeping like a little emergency fund, because I thought that was really important. And the reason that was so important to me was I wasn't like buying into that debt cycle anymore. Like whenever something popped up, I had the cash for it, and I didn't have to like put it back on my personal loan or I didn't have to put.
Speaker 1: It on a credit card.
Speaker 5: And like, I remember learning about this like snowball and avalanche method and stuff, and I was like, Okay, cool, you know what I'm going to do this month. I'm going to do minimum repayments on my personal loan and I'm actually just for the next two months or however long. I can't remember how long it took me. I'm going to pay off that credit card because the credit card wasn't massive, but it was a lot. And then I closed it and I remember being like, oh my god, I now only have one debt like that, It's so good. Yeah, And so I think that for me was like that. I started being a little bit more aggressive, and I started seeing cash that was coming in as an opportunity to get out of debt. Sooner as opposed to oh yeah, I can treat myself. But it was hard to change that mindset. And even once I got out of debt, I won't say that I was incredible at money management. I remember being like, hey, hold on, hold on, hold on, I've been out of debt for like six months and I've got nothing to show for it. And that's that point where I had to sit down and go, I need to create a money management system because ultimately I can't be trusted like I have ADHD. I'm incredibly impulsive. I've known that about myself since I was eighteen nineteen. I've been medicated since then, so I'm not, you know, someone who got a late diagnosis. But I didn't know how that impacted my money. Like at the time, you just don't know what you don't know, and like I still had that stigma in my head that I was that boisterous boy in grade two who's swinging on their chair and being told to like sit down and stop yelling in class. Like that was my idea of what ADHD was, even though I'd been diagnosed with it and had been told outright it manifests differently in women. I was like yeah, cool, you should say that to make me feel better about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, who knows?
Speaker 5: So, yeah, I wasn't good at it, And it wasn't until I created a money management system where I was like, Okay, cool, I'm going to automate this and do this and every single week I'm going to transfer this to this like. It wasn't until then that I actually started getting quote good at money, right right.
Speaker 4: That was after I realized that just being out of debt didn't make me good at money, which was annoying. Oh yeah, that's a really was like I got out of debt though, Yeah, you shouldn't be done now, like this is here, We're done, I should be rich exactly exactly. So you've seen so many people's finance up close, Yes, Lucky, what's one thing that all financially successful people seem to do differently?
Speaker 5: Financially successful like we're talking about do you want to know about like the rich people? Is that what you're talking about? Are you just talking about people who are just like good at managing money? We can talk about both.
Speaker 4: I think it's really just people that are good at managing finances and they're just like comfortably wealthy I'm not too fussed on them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so comfortably wealthy. And I've had the privilege of working with some incredibly wealthy people like I have. I used to work in the ultra high net wealth space, so minimum of ten million dollars investable.
Speaker 1: And I have had two.
Speaker 5: Clients in my time who have been billionaires, and so have I experienced wealth. Yes, I think that's a lot of the reason why I just don't. I don't want that. I don't want to be a billionaire. But what they have in common is they pay themselves first.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: So they are.
Speaker 5: Creating a plan, and they're not all doing this in exactly the same way, but in a roundabout way they're doing this. They are you know, going okay, cool, like I need to said, like I need to put money aside for rent, I need to put money aside for bills. You know.
Speaker 4: They're talking about their savings just as like a bill, like they just go and savings we have to put a side X. Like they don't really think about it in the same way that I was hystorically thinking about it, because in my head, savings is just money I put aside for other stuff I want exactly exactly or it's optional.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's optional. No, they don't see it as optional. That's just part of this system. And then they can play with whatever's left. But it was always or whatever's left. And that system, I would say works for the billionaires and the people who have so much money they don't know what to do with it. But also it was working for like my housemate who had savings at UNI and we were on the same system. She was just like automating it and putting the money aside and pretending it wasn't there. And I just didn't comprehend that that was an option. And I also doing think with my impulsivity, I had the ability to see savings as not accessible. Yes, yes, so you're like, yeah, but I want it, And in my head I can see that and that's going to get me the thing that I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm not really.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's money for myself exactly, and you've kind of got blinkers on about what the bigger picture looks like.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And so for me, getting serious about money meant I had to create a plan that worked with my impulsivity, and that was about automation and you know, having two separate banks, not just two separate bank accounts, but my savings went to a different bank, So when I logged in to see my everyday spending account, I couldn't see my savings account because sometimes I would see it and be like ooh, opportunities like do you know what I mean? Like I just needed to not be able to see it, and that helped. But there's like, yeah, I would say that they're paying themselves first, So whether that is a business owner and they're just like making sure everything is going really smoothly and they are investing in their business before they're paying themselves, or if it's you know, my old housemate who you know would just act like savings were just part and parcel of her bill system. That to me was a revolutionary Yeah, And now looking back, I'm like, they all have this ability to put their money in a system that works for them as opposed to you know, money came into my accountant. I see a lot of myself in you, because like I think you and I are on the same page about you know, we're at different points in our journey. But like you say things and I'm like I get it back, yeah, because that's me, like or it was me or you know, I said before, like a lot of my I would say a lot of my success. But I'm very grateful to have a high income now because I still am a little bit impulsive and I think that that could maybe get me in a little bit of trouble, which is why I try so hard to have such a strict system, Like I do have a certain amount that I pay myself every single week that I know I can quote play with because if I don't have that, go I'm going in our savings. I'll say sorry later, like exactly, I just I need to have a system.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can always put double savings next time.
Speaker 5: Well, when we tell ourselves that, oh yeah, I've never actually done that, it's no same.
Speaker 4: But I thing happened.
Speaker 5: We should talk about that too, because it's just so hard, Like money is hard. It's not easy, and even though we've got more of it, like it just becomes more complex.
Speaker 7: Like yeah, and it's getting harder the cost of Oh, don't even start being like that's a story for another time, it is, OKAYVD last question, looking back at everything you've learned, what's one change or decision you've made with money that has had the biggest impact on your life.
Speaker 4: Mindset, mindsetskay, mindset, But changing the way I viewed money changed everything. Like it wasn't a system or a process or a budgeting app like I feel like so many people, and I love it because you will want change, right, Like when people are reaching out to me and they say, fore.
Speaker 1: You, what's your favorite budgeting app?
Speaker 5: I need to get my stuff together, It's like, that's not what you need. What you need is a mindset shift. You need to see money as a tool, Like we need to take emotion out of money, because like I was so covered in shame about my money, and you know I would literally I can't remember anybody actually asking me, are you in debt? But I just know I would have lied to you, like you know what I mean. That sounds terrible, but it's true. And I think it was just changing this mindset around money is just a tool and giving myself permission to just accept that, and you know, changing this idea that I was bad at money, because I wasn't bad at money. I just spent more than I Doarn't that was it. I just spent more money than I had earned. And I needed to fix that and get into a better state of equilibrium and I needed to put myself ahead, and the way to do that was to just see it as a tool. And it's so hard to see money as a tool because it is inherently emotional. And I think that's where a lot of you know, I was able to fix or change my money story because it was a marriage of finance habits and psychology and just through luck and through my experience. I had the psychology background, and then I also was learning about these money things and realizing that if I didn't change my approach, it isn't going to happen. So I think, yeah, for me, it's all about mindset. And I can't say, oh, this is the right mindset, because there's no right money mindset, but being able to understand where I came from, why my money story was my money story, what I felt about money, why did it make me feel icky?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: How did all of that work? Understanding that, and then also going okay, cool, it's just a tool. How am I using this? How am I making every single dollar that comes into my account work for me? And now that looks so different Right now, I'm you know, at a more progressed like baby Victoria. I would never have seen this coming, but like me talking to my husband and about, Okay, well what was our like rate on our offset?
Speaker 1: What did that look?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 5: Okay, cool, We're going to put everything in that offset and like move it to here to do this, and like we're talking about investments and like that's just not how I thought my life would be. But all of that starts with like small money management. It starts with having a budget, It starts with having a cash flow. It starts with yeah, small steps in the right direction.
Speaker 4: I love that, Vie. You've really motivated me because I'm like, it's so nice. I think if you're kind of like me and you have never really had money and you still don't really know how to manage money, you're still kind of like perpetually broke, it seems. And then you hear other people through and you're like, oh, you're not that different. It's like, okay, we're I'm not like trying to achieve something that's completely impossible for someone that.
Speaker 5: No, like I own differently, yeah, no, and I steal something like impulsivity.
Speaker 1: I struggle with still.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like at the end of the day, like, yes, I have more money, Yes I have a successful business.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying that that was luck.
Speaker 5: Like I have worked so hard and I still work so hard, and it says struggle every day. Not just financially because like comfortable financially now, but just like running a business, like I'm running three of them, Like what are you.
Speaker 1: Doing, Victoria? That's crazy talk.
Speaker 5: But I think when it comes to the finance side of it, I think a lot of people just assume, oh, yeah, she must be really rich.
Speaker 1: Now, she must have like lots and lots of income.
Speaker 5: I'm comfortable for sure, but most of the business stuff goes back into the business. Like, yes, I have a higher income, but I'm not living in like a six million dollar property, like I'm not, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, I'm not I'm not Richard Branson. I still am doing a budget with my husband. Guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that's so comforting to know. Okay, I feel like it's all we got time for.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, I'm kind of glad because I feel emotionally hungover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh spent, Absolutely, we are done. I think the biggest takeaway here is that no one is born good with money. So if you're listening to this and thinking, god, I'm so far behind. Just know that even Victoria Devine once had no idea what she was doing. And I think for anyone listening who feels stuck, this is such a good reminder that you don't have to get everything right straight away, you just have to start.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 5: I feel like this has been really fun and if there are questions off the back of this episode, maybe we can.
Speaker 1: Do another one. I don't know how that's fall, but we can see.
Speaker 5: But I think a lot of the conversation around money is inherently emotional. Like you can listen to six million episodes on what the best ETFs are, and that's good for if you're picking an ETF, but if you're just struggling to get started, like sometimes you just want to hear that other people have been in your shoes. And I really don't like the idea that people would just see me as being like high and mighty and oh well, she won't get it, Like, girl, I've been there, and I'm working my butt off to make sure I'm never back there again, because it's not a nice.
Speaker 4: Feeling, absolutely, But all in not, just be kind to yourself. Some people are really really not even in a position where they can even start saving right now, they're probably in the negative.
Speaker 5: So exactly, and that's okay. But it's not a reflection of who you are or how good you are as a person. It just means that you're spending more than your earning. And do you know what some people are forced into that right now? Oh yeah, like that's not their fault, absolutely, but that doesn't mean they can't understand budgeting and cash flow out what they want it to look like one day exactly.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, just be learning, okay.
Speaker 4: And of course, if you're loving the pod, make sure you're subscribed, leave us a review, do all the good things you know, the drill V thank you so much for letting me grill you today. I feel like we're.
Speaker 1: Thanks for grilling me and being kind.
Speaker 4: Oh of course, I feel like we're going to have to do a whole other episode just and how you actually got out of debt, because that would be a juicy one. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I feel like I need to put a plan together, so let's work on that, and guys, we will see you on Friday for Friday drinks.
Speaker 4: See then bye?
Speaker 6: Did buy shared on She's on the Money is general in nature and does not consider your individual circumstances. She's on the Money exists purely for educational purposes and should not be relied upon to make an investment or financial decision. If you do choose to buy a financial product, read the PDS TMD and obtain appropriate financial advice.
Speaker 1: Tailored towards your needs.
Speaker 6: Victoria Divine and She's on the Money are authorized representatives of money showper p T T y L t D A b N three two one six four nine two seven, seven zero eight a F s L four five one two eight nine