Speaker 1: Qust John O'Connell Breakfast Show podcast.
Speaker 2: We've got a chat now with Russell Brand, an amazing live performer. Russell and he's here in Australia's gonna be Melbourne next Friday and Saturday night is playing Hamer And although this show is a slightly different one, it's about his book Recovery, which came out a couple of years ago. Russell done very well. Well from someone who was a chronic heroin addict to have the career in life he's had the last couple of years and longer is amazing. He's got something to share, something to say. But please don't be mistaken. I think this will just be a dry talk from someone talking at you. Russell when you see him live is the very definition of a live performer. There's something, there's a real magic that happens when he gets onto a live stage. If you've not seen him before, I guarantee you have a good note. Anyway, here's our chat with Russell Brand.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 2: I'm good now before we talk about the show and why you've come to Australia on that, first of all, we've been so messages over the last couple of days So have I got this right? Have you come on tour to Australia with your entire family?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking at them right now. I'm looking at my two daughters, the older one of which refuses to adjust to the temperature of this country. She's dressed in multiple layers. She's whirling about this mental here with staying in Byron Bay in like sort of tropical conditions. Incredible.
Speaker 1: And how old are your kids?
Speaker 3: I've got a three year old and a two year old.
Speaker 2: Now, now as a father with thoughts myself, you've made it very hard to go on tour, do what you're doing, and bring a young family because the amount of gear you have to take with kids that like all their backup equipment, it's like traveling in an army unit.
Speaker 3: This really is really very cumbersome. The more addictive earliest children more, I realized that the entire difference and dul mistake.
Speaker 1: So you're already regretting your decision to bring.
Speaker 3: Them onto, to have children, to have children at all, to continue to populate the planets with more organ bags, just snatch away at oxygen and fill up suitcases.
Speaker 2: That's lovely for them to hear their dad talking like this to the media as well.
Speaker 1: It's a nice bonding experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I forget sometimes that these conversations are being broadcast now. I mean, do you know what I think as an Englishman will understand this, that the cynicism skepticism is kind of directly proportional to the kind of overwhelming sentimentality you feel if you actually spoke normally about it. And as an english person that is not acceptable.
Speaker 2: Because at first you must have found this. Last couple of years, it's almost the love you feel. It's almost too much to bear. I didn't know you could get so much pleasure from just watching a little person's sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't stand it. And you see in one of our messages, So that conversation went on quite a long while. How it's changed. The voice notes examining the the new shi of the Deonte Wilder Tyson Fury fight. You sit there like you talked about their hands and and oh man, you know, I like, I'm a sort of emotionally open person. So really I live sort of suspended in bliss and all. And the reason that they're with me is because there is nothing in my life that's worth spending time away from them for Oh, that's that's the actual truth of it. I mean to listen out on the radio, that kind of mawkish sentimentality better and I'm being dismissive about their entire lives. One of them studdling over at me right now.
Speaker 2: No, I'm I think they are genuinely interested in how you're finding Father, because you know so much of your life story, which is incredible, what you've what you've done, and what you've managed to achieve, and what you've managed to h to do with yourself and transform your life.
Speaker 1: I think it'd be I think it.
Speaker 2: I find it very interesting to find out how you're finding these first couple of years of father, because it is it changes your whole life and your life you.
Speaker 3: I think it's like what I was looking for in the first place. When I think about how much time and dedication I put into heroin addiction, craft addiction, various forms of behavioral addiction, it turns out, really all I needed to calm myself down after going to ground myself after adulation is like human feces all over the floor, and people who completely gives interested in me.
Speaker 2: Is that the thirteenth step in the twelve step to recovery is human feces and children.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, massing earth like the soil of humanity.
Speaker 2: And so how do you find doing shows in Australia? Do you like coming here?
Speaker 3: When I've previously been a Christian, I've always really, really loved it. It's a sort of perfect blend of the anglophonic countries. I think like it's sort of like working class English culture, but the whole country is working class culture, like Essex. It's like Australia is Essex as a continent, like sort of blue collar kind of casualness. People telling each other they're out of order, call each other mate in parliament and on the two slamming us down and belching, but there's a constant ongoing barbecue, sort like Yeah, I didn't want so the consequence of no class system, no class, but I woke. I love Australia. I think it's a mental place. I feel like I could give here. You obviously do, because you don't you Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so much what he say is true. They are Australians are very fair people. They're very direct, very very hard working as well. And if you saw the response over the last couple of months, to the horror that came out of the bushfires.
Speaker 1: The one lovely thing was how.
Speaker 2: People were trying to help each other out and no small thing was too small, which was really really nice to see and be part of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I suppose it's because your country is remote. It's been difficult to conceive of and almost bearable to look at some of the ecological horror unfolding. But I suppose a silver lining for that is the revelation of humanity, and that off sited idea that during the Blitz people felt more connected. I suppose a consequence of living in a culture stripped of the sacred, where we're continually directed to rolls as consumers instead of active citizens, as we lose purpose, and sometimes a terrible crisis such as this one, such as this country is just endured. It doesn't live to remind us that we are all here together with the common purpose and a common path.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it got people to put down their aloneness. Sometimes, you know, we're so private in our worlds our phone to that little bubble and appears, then, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I suppose that's sometimes what it takes is difficult, was to conceptualized crisis on the global of it that we're continually told that we're on the brink of ecological breakdown, if you know, we've got a generation to change the world at least that sort of you know, it tends to be that that's the sort of left wing liberal argument. The right wing argum intends to be that ecological crisis are periodic and all that kind of thing. But for me, really, I feel personally happier when I'm connected to some kind of purpose, when I feel that I'm a participant in this sort of triabilized society rather than just an annexed and atomized individual just rolling through this. And that's one willing to pack seven or eight suitcases for a three week work trip into rather demanding individuals with me sense of player, person meaning and per every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that your whole thing of traveling around with group piece is now completely different. Yeah, that's over, So tell me about the show. Then I read Recovery. I read your book a couple of years ago, which I loved. I thought it was really surprising and it was sort of a big new, I think, a parts of new sort of transformation and area view that you've moved into very well over the last couple of years, and I'd love to know that, how does that, how's it going to work live?
Speaker 1: What can people expect?
Speaker 2: Because I know you've been out here before, and thousands of people all over Australia love coming to see you live.
Speaker 1: Tell us about this show.
Speaker 3: Actually was an experience that I had in Australia that changed my approach to spound up comedy. I was doing a gig in Brisbane, somewhere in some vast and sprawling arena, and at the beginning of the show there were lots of hippie type people I guess from by them all bringing me like crystals and stuff. And now for any attainer, it's a sad day when the underwear turns to crystals and dream catches no longer people crossing undergarments, but presentingly with copies of the work for Chrishnamurti the grant. But I realized people don't just walk straight entertainment from me anymore. I've always sort of spoken like tangently about politics and spirituality. Well, this show is just leads fully embracing it. It's still funny, it's still spontaneous. But I explain how the technique I was taught to recover from addiction. The twelve step program can be applied to any form of attachment, any form of dissatisfaction. One of the things that's viewtiful for about twelve step recovery is it assumes that we are capable of being happy and content, but only if we allder our relationship with pleasure and recognize that purpose is more important than pleasure. So I talk through this system, I demonstrate how it works, I answer audience questions, and I it might So it's like me moving into personal development and spirituality while continually acknowledging that I'm more mentally ill than the people that I'm trying to explain it to. So it's not sort of didactic as it were Christian. I'm not saying, oh, like I talk about in the show. I'm not like e Car's Hoole or Tony Robbins or Deepak Chopra or Brene Brown or all of the people that I've been hanging around with and spending time with a learning form because I'm still crazy every single day from it. Every day I'll do something that makes me think, my God, if you don't belong in this world. But there's a commonly understood idea about addiction, that it is an attempt to achieve connection. That people that get overly dependent on alcohol drugs are people that simply do are people that simply can't bear to live in the world. As I've said before, strip of the Sacred now, like chemical dependency is an exaggerated and obvious example of a condition that I think is ubiquitous. I think we're all on the spectrum of addiction because attachment in any form is a kind of addiction. All of us are trying to make ourselves feel better by controlling that other people think about us, earning their money, trying to become successful, trying to get someone to fall in love with us. If I just had a better boyfriend or girlfriend, or a better phone, another better phone, another better phone, then I would be fulfilled and happy. Or the prospect system essentially is it tall for awakening you from the belief that the outside world can ever fulfill you unless you have some kind of deep inner connection. And it's available for anybody. I think that you know for me, it's ambition. Now it's a purpose to tell as many people as possible about this, because I think it's a system for awakening that's trans denomination or for anyone if you believe in God, or you don't believe in God, if you're living in Christian, Joatheist, agnostic, whatever it is you're into that we're all looking for something. And if we don't have a clear idea of what is holy and what is worthy of worship, we will apply holiness and worship to anything. We start worshiping nation, we start worshiping consumerism, start worshiping sport or sex, or drugs or food. It's just an innate tendency part of our inner teleology, this yearning, this craving for connection and wholeness. And because living a really continually appointed as consumers instead of, as I said before, citizens or awakened participants in community, I feel that many, many, many of ours lost. This was something I realized in Australia. You know, we turn back after that. For I'm not going to do another show where I just come out and to do jokes and talk about embarrassing things that have happened, although that is part of what I always do, because you know, it seems that open my mouth embarrassing things that have happened to me because they're the only kind of things that really do happen to me, but that this time there is a clear intent to convey a deliberate and effective message, a set of tools that can work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Russell, you said so much. There.
Speaker 2: There are a couple of things, You're right, the spectrum of addiction that most of us are at some point on. You know, there is a gravitational pull, isn't there, Because most of us, if we're on it's an exciting time to be alive, but there's a lot of distractions from actually spending time with ourselves, and those feelings are part of ourselves that we don't actually like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, mate, That's why I feel because in a sense, people need to be continually kept, be satisfied, bombarded with fear and desire, fear in the form of news media, desire in the form of marketing, in order to keep us consuming. Like me, now, I'm different because I've had to work this stuff to get over the drug addiction and the behavior and addictions around food and sex. I've changed and now I'm still edgy. I'm a pretty sick person and I'm a person left command devices are by a drug overdose. But and so the fact that I'm sort of still alive, and my biggest problems now are sometimes I'm a bit irritable or sometimes I'm a bit impatient. It's been dialed right down, and now I don't read so much. Now I recognize, you know, I had a humility, humility being. I recognized my own relative insignificance in the world. I recognized pain and money into Chris and never do anything for me, really in the same way that drink and drugs could never do anything for me. I'm not saying those things aren't pleasurable. Of course, orgadams are preasurable. Of Course, the chemical rush of cocaine is pleasurable.
Speaker 2: I think, do you know what the timing is? If you look at the people that you name check, like Brene Brown, I was listening to a podcast with her yesterday, and you know, Byron Katie you've done work with and Tony Robbins. Don't you think that there is an appetite right now? Hopefully there is that people realize that actually the system isn't working for them, like they've seen through the matrix and they've found it wanting. They might not know what it is, but I just I think there is something around that more of these people. Tony Robins has been around for years, since I was a teenager when I first read his book Awakened the Giant with him, But he's becoming bigger because more and more people are searching for meaning and purpose in their.
Speaker 1: Lives, aren't they.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also it's just natural that, you know, we were Capitalism in its current form is only surviving because after the two thousand and eight crash in like I don't know how being in Australia, but in Britain and America, there was a decision was made to prop up those systems using state money. So capitalism is already over. We're living in the zombie pansm of it. And that means that people on a personal level are experiencing the failure and lack of not lack of growth, but the inability of capitalism to fulfill you ultimately. And I suppose the system that capitalism can sort of a place the kind of more conventional religious ideologies where we felt like, you know, we were going to work in order to police God and we were a member of the parish and community. And those ideas have died out now, so we don't live by religious ideas. We can't live by economic ideas. Our culture is starting to feel so sort of cannibalistic and empty in so many areas. But there needs to be a like I suppose what we're having in reemergence of spirituality, but you know all those figures, you just know Tony Robbins, Burnet Brown, et cetera. They're all talking about spirituality up and down, the sort of across the spectrum, like Tony Robbins, like, well, what I used to listen to him as well, like years ago, and it was much more focused on personal success then, you know, And a lot of personal development and wellbeing is meditate, become mindful, wake yourself up so that you can be a better accountant, or a better lawyer, or a better TV present or whatever it is you're into. But really the point of spirituality is to recognize that all of those things are secondary. But even if we're going to have jobs and have economic roles, those things can't be primary. We already know that there isn't No one would say that their job is more important than their children or the people that they love. Really, but we active if the bloody is. We all act as if it is because we're all operating within the confine of the system that's kind of dying. So for me, I feel like I want to promote these ideas and principles because I feel like if enough people are aware of them, and enough people are talking about them, it could bring about and facilitate change. It's difficult for us to conceptualize when it's sort of a minority interest, because what part of what the show is about Christian is like that I have an individual have some abilities that they're limited, and you, with an individual, have some ability that they're limited. But collectively and together, I think we can achieve real change if we were able to change our priorities, if we were to if we were able to brush aside some of the constraints that are foisted upon us from birth that our entire perception bend towards a particular way of living.
Speaker 1: So tell me about this.
Speaker 2: Then, the last couple years, I get the sense that there has been a real sort of change in your direction and purpose moving from you know, you would look like you were destined and you already were a big Hollywood start. You were doing movies, and you had all the fame, all the trappings, good and bad that come with that was Now it feels like you've made a proper decision to move away from that and you are on a new purpose and a new mission. Has it been that deliberate or is it a gradual thing?
Speaker 3: Some of it was like the realization that that way of life wasn't working for me, And some of it was the sort of feeling like I was failing, like films weren't doing good enough, you know, And I felt like, how am I going to respond to this? How am I going to respond to this feeling of inadequacy and inferiority by doubling down, by trying again. And look, I still working in entertainment. I've done a couple of films in the last year that are coming out, you know, I'm writing a TV show. I'm doing these things, but I'm doing it from a very different perspective now. And when I'm doing this kind of work, work where I'm talking about spirituality and awakening, hopefully from a humorous perspective that there maybe there't have been enough of that in this conversation, I'll grant you, I feel more connected and more alive. So what's what happened to me? Is I just continue the same way as I recognized that drugsn't working or that sex wasn't working, I now recognize nothing will work. The only thing will work is a sense of inner peace and connection and a chief for spiritual techniques and then being kind and useful to other people. And even though it's an obvious thing, it's difficult to live by.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how does that look like day day to day? For you do get up and you meditate first thing in the morning, what's a normal day?
Speaker 3: Get up? Like? Like, so get up and first of all, like someone's feeling nervous, and oh god, I don't feel good enough. I WA's the point is too odd? Like I wake up feeling angry and weird most days. And then like a second voice now reminds me, don't wy of us always. Okay, we're just going to go like you've become my own parent, as it were. We're just going to meditate now. So then I go off and if I meditate that today I've meditated, and Dane, you got and then this move, this new breath move off a teacher that I went to yoga class in Los Angeles or wherever I was yesterday, and it's amazing like this breath technique to just you'd like sharp inhalations in the lower abdomen and then you sort of sit up, excuse me, on your knees and inhale and hold your breath. And it like from a from a from a materialist perspective, people go, if you're just nearly passing out? Is what you're doing? But you know what it feels like to me is like I like there's a second consciousness continually running the same way as your narrativizing mind. It's always telling me I'm not good enough. Man, I'm not good enough. Father, I should have done this, I shouldn't have done that. If you win, that cuts if you if you through breath techniques, access another aspect of your consciousness. There's a second mind continually working, continually running, a second consciousness that I believe you've all got access to. I got tuned into that this very morning while doing yoga, I meditated, I prayed. I have a sort of little routine for prayer. Then I was an asshole to my wife, like, well we need to.
Speaker 1: And is that all part of the that a breath teacher? What's the teacher?
Speaker 2: So this is a breathing tonally, and then what you need to do is just complement that with being an asshole to.
Speaker 3: Your wife might get out there and get.
Speaker 2: Out there.
Speaker 1: The ying and the yang. You need to balance it out.
Speaker 3: Russell, Actually we've all got feet of claim. And then I realized, don't know, hold on a minute, hold on, I'm good at that. I'm always being not good at getting out of my head in various ways, a proclivity, a tendency against for that. What's hard for me being in the world and being normal and being polite, being decent, And that's the stuff that I find out. But the truth, So why I do this spiritual stuff. The easier it gets, the easier it gets, the sort of living in a world that's like to be able to discern between Look, this is just the way life is. Everything's temporary, everything's finite. Everyone you love is going to die. You're going to die. Get used to it. But then also being able to see, hold on me, we don't need to live in vanity, in narcissism and self obsession. So one of the important things I think about the way that I'm being taught on the way I'm understanding the spiritual path for us individually to pursue, not for us to formb lambast or project onto other people. Even though you know, I love all that, I love these angelsis and I love positive tiding, I love standing on the spades chatting away. But I don't ever tell other people how to live or how to be. I just say, well, these are the techniques that I've used that stopped me being a serious nutcase, have helped me to become sort of you know, bearable ordinary, you know, and I feel like if they could work for me, they can work with anybody.
Speaker 2: Now when you say break it down for everybody, right, So imagine there's people listen to this right who would like to have a better relationship with themselves alone the outside. Well let's just talk about the relationship with himself with themselves. But you know, a lot of this stuff takes time. You know a lot of people just it's busy, Russell. They get up early in the morning, got to do a job. They might not even like that much. They haven't got the luxury that someone like you and I with a bit more time in our lives. How do you break it down for them? Because obviously the things you're talking about are meaningful and brilliant and do bring around changes and connect us than otherness, but they take a lot of time.
Speaker 3: I feel like the thing that's been very important to me is to recognize that there is something within us communicating with us, you know, Like you know when you talk about that people they don't have time, they're doing a job they don't like. Right, It's I feel like that that's a rough ride. Obviously, I don't hang around most of the people with me what I do for a living because of like I don't know, I just I belong to a lot of groups for drug addicts and alcoholics. I hang around with people that you know in all walks of life. But for all of us, the same spiritual technique to work in the acknowledgment if you'll be satisfied, if there's something in you trying to be heard, trying to tell you that you're not happy with your work or your relationship and you feel like, oh, well, I can't do anything because I need the money whatever. Well, I've discovered and I've seen a lot of other people realize this also. But if you prioritize an authentic relationship with that voice, and that's what the way techniquely useful. If they provide you with parameters and methods and skills and tools so that you're able to do that, then if a change of direction is required, it kind of it becomes possible, you know. Like it's to say that we are just talking about a lot. I'm unhappy with my job because I have to commute for hours and I don't like the job. Like, the fact is, we are free. We are free to change direction in our life. You know that, people you know you say like we are lucky and privileged. But I'm from a normal background. Do you know what I mean? My family aren't in entertainment and show business. I'm like single mother, you know likely I'm not a single mother. I'm a father with a partner. I'm having a lovely time.
Speaker 1: Michael actually become a single mother.
Speaker 3: Oh I've done is of reverse to my gender. IM sure, dedication and willpower Christian up.
Speaker 4: It was barely an effort.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, A quick pinch of a bander disappeared. So there's a lot of time and trouble.
Speaker 4: I should have done it.
Speaker 3: Twen years ago. But like what I'm saying is from a normally.
Speaker 4: Normal family and normal the spiritual life does not exempt or exclude anybody. I admit it ether if you're like working twelve hour shifts in the factory, or you're doing nice because hauling trucks. But the fact is that what is beautiful about this is I believe it will work for anyone the twilight to talk about it specifically, just so it doesn't sound so vague. The first step, you admit that you've got a problem in your life, that there's something you want to change. It can be, it should be specific. Could be I want to change the negative thinking. I want to change my poverty mentality, I want to change my posession with food, my posession with sex, watching too much porn, being in relationships that continually let me down. You accept as a problem whatever it is, and you're specific about it. The second thing is you've come to believe it's possible for its change for some people. That's in fact that we could just discussing.
Speaker 3: It's all rust all. You're famous, so you get to do so. You know, for me, I'm not famous. I can't check. Or you have to believe it's possible. You have to believe that there's people that have been in your position that have changed your life. That's why it's helpful to belong to communities, to find mentors, people that have already done what you want to do. The third thing you have to do. The third step is make a decision to turn your will and your life over to the care of God. As you understand God. Now you know that this could be complex or it could be simple. God can just be a benevolent force that is more powerful than you. It can be nature, it can be a conventional God. It can be the fact that within our own consciousness it seems that there are realms and abilities that we aren't able to add access through the cognizant mind. I mean put even more simply, I'm not running my digestice system right now. I'm not telling my heart to beat all of these things that are automatically happening. There is a deep intelligence in nature. There is a deep intelligence in chemistry and biology, and we are part of it. And if we can drop beneath the egoic mind, duding spiritual techniques, that intelligence can flow through it in a way that it can't when we're blocked off and locked off into materialistic thinking.
Speaker 4: So the third, the first step, there's a problem.
Speaker 3: The second step, the problem can change the third step. I'm not going to be able to change this problem on my own. I'm going to need help. That's hard for people. It's hard for people to reach out and ask for help. It's half the people to embraced faith. The four and fIF steps become quite administrative and quite heavy do demonstrate and in the shows, but like that's where it gets sort of quite grown up.
Speaker 1: Well listen. If people want to find out more anyway, they can go online.
Speaker 2: Russell does a free podcast as well, which is fantastic where you talk more about this and you get some other guests who have got stuff to add to already your journey as well, which is great under the Skin which I love. And if you want to go and see him, you are doing a big tour here. You're all over Australia and New Zealand, doing two nights in Melbourne as well at Hamer Hall. You can find out all of Russell's live dates at tickertech dot com dot you Russell. It's always a joy talking to You're an interesting fellow anyway. But this new journey I think is timely and I can't wait to come and see the show live, and I'm looking forward to seeing you next week in Sydneys.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can show me that pars and out technique.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let's definitely do that. Let's pass out alone.
Speaker 4: That one.
Speaker 1: We were meditating. Honestly, we were just meditating together. I can't two guys do that this strange hotel.
Speaker 2: Having the game here.
Speaker 1: All right, Russell, thank you very much. The Christian O'Connell Breakfast Show Podcast