Speaker 1: My Heart podcasts, hear more Kiss podcast playlist and listen live on the Free I Hunt app good pickup with Britt Hockley and Laura Ben Brady.
Speaker 2: Your what our windows downe?
Speaker 1: That's my worldries in the dust only books that bugle down.
Speaker 3: I don't much, but yeah I know I'll big get and what I want it don't battle where.
Speaker 1: This is the pickup, Hi, guys, It's the pick up with Britt Hockey and Laura Benn and Brittany.
Speaker 4: Yes, all my dreams hope dashaw was shadowed last night.
Speaker 3: I thought today that I could possibly.
Speaker 4: Be rolling on in a mirror ball from with the Stars. I was going to carry around in my bag. I lost.
Speaker 1: I know, Yeah, I'm sorry. How did you take the lose?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Part of me wants to pretend I didn't hurt it hurt?
Speaker 1: Did it?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Did you? Because you know what, I put so much into that I left toenails on the dance floor.
Speaker 2: I left my dignity on that dance floor.
Speaker 3: In dignity, of course, you want to win, and you get to that point and you realize you actually might be able to and you put so much blood, sweat and tears in like I think people don't know how hard you work months, seven days a week, ten hours a day, like, yeah, we're brit some.
Speaker 1: Of your training days were Dancing with the Stars was like thirteen hour training days.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Crazy, yeah, And I thought, do you know what hard work pays off? But it doesn't, So don't work hard kids, no joking. But Kyle Shilling, honestly, that was incredible.
Speaker 2: He's too good though. He's actually a professional dancer.
Speaker 1: No, but do you know what, There's been plenty of professional dancers before that, all trained because he's not professional.
Speaker 2: I mean he's a professional actor.
Speaker 4: He was in a dance school.
Speaker 2: He went to dance school. Yeah, there's a reason is brilliant.
Speaker 4: But his dance, like he started with a didjury doo. If you guys haven't seen it, it was like heart stopping. It was a really beautiful dance.
Speaker 2: It was really amazing.
Speaker 1: I did feel a little bit sad for shaw Mcalliff though, because.
Speaker 2: I honestly lost to Laura.
Speaker 1: Yeah this is true, this is true, but you didn't. Then when I got down to the final two, i'd you know, I also have a.
Speaker 2: Real soft swat for sure, And I thought it did really good.
Speaker 4: Okay, celebrity crush.
Speaker 2: You were all so great, You're amazing. Such an afterthought you were, and we're so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Next time when it's like when they next time, no, because they do, they do the All Star one, you can go back and do it again.
Speaker 2: I can't. I defeated it, defeated so much.
Speaker 4: I couldn't have put in more. So there's no point for me doing it again because I just get crushed again.
Speaker 2: That's the spirit. Well, wasn't you know?
Speaker 3: I'm just going to exit where I was. Let's exit at a final and yeah, whatever, Laura. I know I just got married. But I sort of low key went on a kind of blind date on the weekend.
Speaker 4: And it's not I don't want to say date. I went on a blind friends sporting date. I don't know what to call it.
Speaker 1: Yet you seem confused because I didn't.
Speaker 2: Really know this is a thing.
Speaker 3: But I feel like it's a bit of a PSA for people out there wanting to meet.
Speaker 4: New people, but like as friends.
Speaker 3: So I was up on the Gold Coast and I have this new obsession with playing paddle, like the paddle tennis.
Speaker 4: If you guys don't know.
Speaker 3: It's like that little mini tennis kind of thing that you play in a glass box.
Speaker 1: Is it the same as a few people know there's pickleball that paddle tennis. Sorry, everyone's been trying to get me to play pickleball, and I'm like, I'm too pregnant for pickleball.
Speaker 3: This, so my sister started Sherry's started playing paddle at seven months pregnant, and she loved it because it's it's not as like excessive as tennis.
Speaker 4: It's really small. But anyway, whatever, we're getting sidetracks.
Speaker 3: We are not sponsored by pickleball, sponsored by paddle or people. So, but the thing is you have to play it against people. So usually you play two v two. Yeah, And so we didn't have anyone to play with because we don't have many friends and people work. So we found like this group where you go into a WhatsApp group and it has all these members and you just blind like put a call out for somebody to play with.
Speaker 4: So it's just adults asking other adult strangers that they.
Speaker 2: Don't know this.
Speaker 4: You don't have pictures, you don't know anything about them.
Speaker 3: You put in your level of like where how good you think you are? Which we put ourselves at the bottom, so you put Haye, we're level C minus because that's what we are. So we hey, guys, two people C minus in this area looking for friends to play with, and then other people.
Speaker 4: Respond that are also like C minus.
Speaker 3: Or B and then you swap number and then you just meet. We were really nervous because we're like, they're waiting. You don't know who you're looking out for, Like all these people walking past you like, is that them?
Speaker 1: And then the people with the rackets usually is the dead giveaway.
Speaker 3: Not la. You're at a place with like fifty courts everyone has or so you're.
Speaker 1: Waiting out the front on the corner of the cafe. No, you go to the coffee first, guys.
Speaker 4: You go to the courts and it's a whole tennis court.
Speaker 1: These two guys turned up.
Speaker 4: One was Italian, one was English.
Speaker 3: They were a bit above C minus and it's the equivalent of been on a first date, the nerves and stuff, because you you sort of have to start to get to know them, but you're also playing against them and you're trying to work out it your friends and if you want to play again.
Speaker 1: You're not on a date, breat you're playing paddle bits a friend date. Okay, something that's slightly similar to this, probably actually more so that you have to kind of like I don't know how to describe it, Like I want to say feel it out, but that's not the right words. Was when I started doing solsa dancing, because you you obviously you go as a solo person. Some people go with their partners, but if you're single and you're going solo like solsa dancing, you just end up getting partnered up with someone. And then you've got some random dude who's solsa dancing you and he literally is feeling.
Speaker 2: You up, and like half the time you're like are you hitting on me? Are we friends? Are we are?
Speaker 3: We? Like?
Speaker 2: What are we doing here?
Speaker 1: And it's just like there's a weird dynamic that happens because like you can obviously go solsa dancing, it's very platonic, but there's a part of you that's like, how do I make sure this person knows that this is a platonic experience for him as well?
Speaker 3: Well? I just thought it was a really good way to make friends as an adult, but it was funny. So what happened was they came as twos and they'd only met through paddle as well, so they've been playing together.
Speaker 4: For a few weeks.
Speaker 3: We went as three, so myself share, my sister and her partner and we just one of us just rotated through. Anyway, we played for an hour and a half, had a great time, got to know each other. Then afterwards one of the guys texted Jay separately out of the group and asked to switch partners, and he said, will you be my new paddle friend?
Speaker 4: And he didn't want to play with me and Sherry and he didn't want to play with his friend.
Speaker 2: So it was like this weird couple breakup.
Speaker 4: We only just got together and now they're going off as too.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyway, Grace, did you produce a grace?
Speaker 2: Did you allow this? I didn't know would go in this.
Speaker 4: It's a whole new world out there.
Speaker 2: A lot happened on BRIT's weekend. Hey who it was a real well one.
Speaker 4: Sorry, sorry, that's the life I leave.
Speaker 2: Give us the update. I want to know. Did you guys become friends? What happened next? Yes, we're friends. Oh great, that's.
Speaker 4: My point, Laura.
Speaker 3: If people are out there, it's really hard to make friends as an adult and I'm just putting this out there for people.
Speaker 4: Producer Grace joined to Adult Gardening Center.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's a community garden.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, I'm volunteered.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Continue, And we've made some lovely friends.
Speaker 2: We all have hats that say city farmer. How old is everyone in this group? Range? Big range?
Speaker 1: Yeah it would with a community gard wouldn't it great?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: There are two types of parents out there, two types of mums I think specifically just too yeah, just two just to you can you can whittle them down into two categories. There's mums who make birthday cakes. It is a labor of love. They plan it. It's meticulous.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Actually I shouldn't say just mums. You know you got your Hamish Blake's he does a cake.
Speaker 4: Off every year. Let's say parents.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think particularly mums do a lot of it, you know, like my sister, she's a mum who makes a cake for every single kid's birthday, Like it is just part and parcel of like childhood core memories. And then you have mums who are not really cake makers.
Speaker 2: I e. Me, I'm a cake decorator.
Speaker 1: I like to buy a Cohle's pre bought cake and then I just stick some Smarties on it and I upscale it.
Speaker 2: The reason I'm talking about this.
Speaker 1: Is because on the weekend, one of my girlfriends she was telling me about how she and she's like a big cake baker, like she like loves her kid's birthdays. No kid has ever gone without a cake being made. And it was her daughter's first birthday, right, so she thought, what better way to celebrate my kid's first birthday than doing a beautiful number one cake, iconic simple, Gonna do some like cute.
Speaker 2: Little freckle flowers all over it, gonna have.
Speaker 1: It, give it a little green stems with little beautiful leaves on there.
Speaker 2: And then she outlined the whole thing in pink.
Speaker 1: And when she showed me the cake that she made, it reinforced that this is the reason why I don't make cakes.
Speaker 2: I just want to.
Speaker 1: I want to show you this, Britt, and I want you to instantly describe to me what you think it is.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's a giant penis.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's a pee when you put it on the side, especially.
Speaker 2: Any directions.
Speaker 4: You don't have to put on the side.
Speaker 1: It kind of, unfortunately came out of the other and a little bit tilted. So the one instead of having like, you know, like a seraph tip to it, it certainly has a tip, but it's it's joy and so unfortunate. We're gonna put this on the pickup socials, so you have to go and see it. You can find it on Instagram to pick up. But honestly, it's just so unfortunate. Even the freckles and the detail look like it's part of the Yeah, I words that we can't use on radio three PM.
Speaker 3: There's a reason I don't cook either, Like I just get pre made meal sent to my door. I'm gonna show you a photo I tried to make a cake for my sister's birthday. Now, my sister and I am best friends. We traveled the world together for three years, like we did this big around the world trip. And the reason I say that is because I tried to do like an travel inspired cake for her birthday.
Speaker 4: So this is what it was supposed to be, Laura.
Speaker 3: So it's a it's a blue cake, so it looks like you're in the sky, and then this is a hot air balloon that's made out of biscuits, and then it's.
Speaker 4: Got a big balloon on the top. So then it's got covered in clouds.
Speaker 3: Like and these two little dolls in it that are supposed to be representative and you're supposed to be like traveling through the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this the bridge showing me right now.
Speaker 1: It's a very ambitious That looks like an ambitious undertaking for someone who doesn't make cakes.
Speaker 4: Oh here's my cake.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, it's actually such a mess. And I tried to put that's a little folk cut out photo of.
Speaker 2: Us gami cranes around it.
Speaker 4: That's the birds flying in the air. We're supposed I'm going to put it up on the pig arm.
Speaker 3: It's supposed to be like. Okay, it's a mess. It looks like a two year old made. It's actually disgraceful. It looks like a pillow with a.
Speaker 2: Turd on top.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I understand the pain that your friend feels, but I've never come close to making.
Speaker 4: What she made, especially for a one year old.
Speaker 2: Couldn't be more inappropriate.
Speaker 1: No, well, I mean this is still pretty bad, though. You could have just bought this unfortunately bred anyway.
Speaker 2: I couldn't buy that. Okay, people send us though, if you've ever had a cake fail.
Speaker 1: We want to see it because some people do them so well, you know that whole cake or not trend.
Speaker 2: And then there's that, Then there's Brittany Hockley's abomination.
Speaker 3: There's an app, a new app, Laura, that is taking the world by storm and it's very controversial.
Speaker 4: It's dividing opinions online.
Speaker 3: It's something we've spoken about a little bit before ourselves. But it's the number one downloaded app in the US right now. And it's called Tea as in Tea and essentially it's a women's only app where men have zero access to it, but you can go to I want to say report, but I guess out bad behavior from men that you have been on dates with or had experience with or whatever. It's sort of like that app a few years ago in Australia it's called.
Speaker 4: Like SIS Is this Your Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sis, is this your Man? I mean it still exists. Yes, it's the Facebook page and stuff. You're not allowed to talk about it, so we'll probably get blocked from it. But basically the premise of this was set up and I think T is kind of the same thing. It was set up to create more safe dating spaces for women. So if you had a really bad experience on a date, if something's happened that was like problematic, you could go on there and share and warn other women so that they didn't have the same fate as what you did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what's happening is there's a lot of kickback because you can say whatever you want in there. At the end of the day, you're supposed to, obviously, only say the truth. You're not supposed to make up stories about somebody. It's not supposed to be revenge to get back at someone, but it can cause obviously a lot of reputational damage to somebody. There's no way of knowing what someone is saying in this app is true or not, because it's just someone's experience, in someone's story. And now I'm not quite sure this is the right thing to do. I felt like this when we spoke about it a few years ago. I still feel like it at.
Speaker 4: The end of the day. And I'm not sticking up for men here. If this was reverse but if.
Speaker 2: It don't, don't be mistaken.
Speaker 3: No, if it was reversed, I would feel the same way. I just think you get into dangerous territory where you can be in a group of people with potentially millions of people in that group, and you can say whatever you want about somebody with no truth. If they could lose their job, it can have complete repercussions for family members, friends, for dating, for the love life, for whatever, financial repercussions, and it's all based on just one person's thought. I don't know what the happy medium is, and I don't know of a way that we can make a safe place for people to be able to talk about these things.
Speaker 4: And report them.
Speaker 3: But I think if they're bad enough for you to be reporting them, report them to the authority.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean it's not always like that someone's done something that's illegal.
Speaker 2: It could be just morally illegal.
Speaker 1: You know, if that person's been cheated on multiple times or something.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think the thing is if it's only one person's experience, When it starts to have real impact is when it's multiple women telling stories about the same person.
Speaker 2: That's when I think.
Speaker 1: That these apps really have weight to them, because there's multiple women who have dated the same guy, They've had the same experience. Maybe he's cheated on them, it was narcissistic, maybe he took money, who knows what is the circumstances, And I guess it's sad that there is such a massive group of women who feel that they need to have that layer of protection. So I do understand and maybe there is something that's needed to be done.
Speaker 2: The other part of this.
Speaker 1: Though, is when we spoke about cisus this your Men on our podcast Life Uncut, we had people from our own community who reached out and were like, yeah, I found my boyfriend on there and found out he was cheating on me with XYZ. Like there's been real consequences that's come off the back of that, And you know, a lot of this like outcry has been from men who are worried about what impact it's going to have on their dating opportunities, what impact it's going to have on their reputation. But I guess, you know, I don't know if there's that many people that are so vindictive that they're getting on there and writing awful things off the back of like a really decent relationship in a decent breakup, Like I feel that with all the.
Speaker 3: Minority, it's impossible to know, and it is, But I think the reason that I am a bit more like Okay.
Speaker 4: I don't know if this is the right thing to do. Is because like we've been on the receiving end of completely fabricated stories.
Speaker 3: Like and it's horrible. And once a story goes out there, that's it. It doesn't matter if it's.
Speaker 4: True or not. Like there's a reason they say month sticks.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Again, I'm not defending them. What I think is really unfortunate is that we're.
Speaker 3: In a place where women feel like they have to cre this in the first place. The fact that we're still battling with this and dealing with this on dating apps every single day.
Speaker 4: And what has actually come off the back.
Speaker 3: Of this, which is really sad, is men have heard that this is app exists and they've hacked it. They've hacked the app, and they've doxed women's information from the app. So it's almost like doubling down on what the problem is. It's almost like you're just showing us how much more trust we don't have in you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I.
Speaker 1: Also think, like, yes, it's controversial, and I understand that, but I think that maybe there should be other parameters that are put in place to keep people safe. There are some truly awful stories that come off the back of online dating. Some people have had truly horrific experiences. Some people have just.
Speaker 2: Had like morally awful experiences.
Speaker 1: But I don't want to get too deep with this time slot on you know, a lovely Tuesday Afternoon. But there may be should be more safety nets that have put in place, and it kind of sucks that an app like this needs to exist and that people have to self moderate in order to feel safer on dating apps.
Speaker 3: Hey, maybe if you've been in this situation and you have found something out on one of these apps, so you are you part of the tee app?
Speaker 4: Are you part of sis?
Speaker 2: Here's your man?
Speaker 4: Let us know on the pickup and we'll talk about it over the coming weeks.
Speaker 2: Anyway, we are out of here.