Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to the sit down.
Speaker 2: I'm Viv Christy, managing editor of Australian Tennis magazine, and.
Speaker 3: I'm Brief Stewart.
Speaker 4: I'm from the AO Show.
Speaker 3: So Viv, tell me you're sitting down with Jaslyin Shewitt Shahadi this week.
Speaker 4: Tell me why and a little bit about her.
Speaker 2: Jacelin has worn so many hats in tennis, from professional playing Korea to a high performance coach, tournament director and many roles in between, and now she is the director of player Relations at the WTA Tour.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's very passionate about giving back to the sport and has some great insights for us.
Speaker 5: Jacelyin Hewitt Shahiti, thank you very much for joining us on the sit Down in studio today.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 4: I'm great. Thanks.
Speaker 6: No, it's been a nice trip down to Melbourne. Got some sunshine out here finally, so now it's always nice to come down to Melbourne and to the Tennis center here.
Speaker 2: I thought it'd be great if you could start from the very beginning, Relly and talk to us about how you first got connected into tennis.
Speaker 6: Yes, that was a very long time ago, so mum and dad after their sporting careers had finished. I'd played s ANFL in South Australia in Adelaide and came over here to Victoria and was in the VFL for a couple of years with Richmond. They took up playing tennis socially back in Adelaide at Seaside Tennis Club. So yeah, having an older brother having a court in the backyard, Mum and dad played socially, so basically started with a racket in the hand from a very young age, was always around the courts. Had some really great family memories about being at the Seaside Tennis Club every Saturday for basically morning camp and then afternoon comp. So that's pretty much where it all started. And then yeah, was blessed to go as far as I did playing so top three hundred, had some really good experiences traveling the world. Love that part of it. It's always positive when you get to take get some extra time off school and get to travel the world as well.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, we had had.
Speaker 6: A good career playing, got to three hundred, but then yeah, unfortunately broke my hand and then yeah, life takes different pathways.
Speaker 5: I don't know your dad have played for Richmond. Actually I have Varick for Richmond. So love that.
Speaker 2: You obviously do come from a very sporting family, as you say, Were there ever any other sports that competed for your attention?
Speaker 1: What did you most love about tennis?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Growing up, I still remember there was a night after basketball training that was just done to get too much.
Speaker 4: So I used to play basketball. Really enjoyed that.
Speaker 6: We used to do athletics as well on a Friday night. But then, yeah, tennis started to take over by the age of twelve thirteen, started going on some international trips with Tennis Australia back in the day. So yeah, basically had to make a choice, and this is where trying to get the right amount of hours and training in. If you're going to pick one sport to make your profession or that's your goal, we kind of got to go one hundred percent in. So yeah, it was a tough decision back in the day, and I loved playing basketball, but yeah, it was probably a little bit better at tennis. Had a great coach in Peter Smith back in Adelaide, had a really great support team there. Mum and Dad were always behind us, Slayton and myself even still now, they're so supportive in our careers. So it's yeah, it's been a fantastic journey.
Speaker 2: You say it was a tough choice, but it must have felt like the right choice in the end. As you say you had a pro career, I think that went from say nineteen ninety nine to about two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: What are your favorite memories from that time.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure that the pro career was probably some of the highlights. I think it's the juniors growing up and a lot of the world junior teams that we went on on the tours that we went on. I was in the Australian Institute a sport with Craig Morris as a coach and we had a fantastic team. Then Melissa Dow, Sam Stoza, Alisha Mullik or all some of the players coming through.
Speaker 4: So I think it's the friendships.
Speaker 6: And the journeys that you go on, especially traveling back then we went away for eight, nine, ten weeks in a row with your mates, so we never came home during that block, and I think that built our resilience. Up to when I was older, I'd spend six months of the year away basically leave as soon as the Aussie summer was done, they have a couple of pro tours then in going into April, similar schedule to what's here in Australia now, and then you're in Europe until maybe October November, and then you come back. So I think those longer tours when we were juniors actually assisted us build our resilience and passion for the game, and then yeah, was able to build the career off that.
Speaker 5: In preparing for this interview, I looked at your Instagram account and there was this really nice photo of you with Elka Cleisters, and I just I have always I was wondering what that experience is like because you reference late and obviously two time major champion, world number one, as a sibling of a very famous tennis player. What is that experience like? Because there are so many tennis players like that. I've just finished reading Naomi Osaka's biography and there's a chapter dedicated to Mari Osaka, and there's Marko Jokovic and so many like what was that like for you? Because your careers overlapped.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I always find that question interesting because I actually don't know anything else. So I've always grown up. Layton was always doing well, when he was fourteen fifteen, sixteen on international tours, So when I started doing the same tours, that was exciting. When he was fifteen, he then qualified for the Yusie Open when he was sixteen, he one Adelaide, So coming from being thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, when he's doing all these things, it's yeah, I really don't know much else, but the opportunities that did provide me were fantastic. So yeah, traveling with Elka who was in a similar position with me, with her sister Kim, understanding the pressures and traveling, and.
Speaker 4: More of the spotlight.
Speaker 6: Probably being on us as we're trying to make our way through the pro tour events, so not necessarily being on the top tour there, but still working our own pathways out. But looking back at it, it is again going back to those relationships in tennis, having lateon been a strong part of the Davis Cup team, working with Nukin Roachi and that.
Speaker 4: Whole family environment.
Speaker 6: When I started working for Tennis Australia, I had one of the toughest years as the AIS Pro Tour coach on the road for about forty six weeks of the year and just yeah, but I had sand and Stolly, also Milo Bradley there, but Sandon I was always around from Davis Cup days and he was a great mentor for me on the road on during that period of time. So it's definitely a second family there within the tennis.
Speaker 5: Community, yeah, for sure. And you also alluded as well to your playing career ending with a broken hand. That's like a pretty horrific injury. And I don't actually think I knew that part of your story very well and like, yeah, what was that like to conf like how did that happen? What was that like to confront and then making that decision, Yeah, I can't play pro anymore because this is this is really tough to overcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I was middle Sunday of Ozzie Open. Layton was still in I was going out with my ex boyfriend Jokim Johansson, Peter Luchak, and I had just lost mixed doubles to the Black Brother and Sisters there Pimpim lost to Agacy after serving a massive amount of aces and then yeah, next minute, I've broken my hand and ended up in hospital booked for surgery the couple days later. So all bands didged up. I still remember being on center court watching Layton's matches for a couple of the second week of the AO there. But yeah, a Playton five screws in. I got told within six weeks I should be back out on the court. Unfortunately that didn't happen, and just kept playing through pain. It was kind of like this vibration sensation when I was making impact with the ball. So six months later I had the Playton screws taken out and then tried it a little bit again after that, but it just was never the same. It was affected by heat and cool and just the nerves and things were a bit a bit out of whax. So but yeah, I believe everything happens for a reason, and it was at that point that, yeah, my next career pathway in tennis began.
Speaker 1: But you have worn a lot of hats in tennis.
Speaker 2: You've been pro player, high performance coach, personal trainer, massage therapists.
Speaker 1: Tournament.
Speaker 2: Player welfare, broadcasting, You've worked in the women and girls space, and now player relations. Is there any one area that stands out for you the.
Speaker 4: Mist No, I think it's all.
Speaker 6: It's all played a massive component into where I am today. So it's all contributed to probably each area in each stage of my own development building myself up to be a business woman, was what was the next thing or what was the next area that I could then evolve or improve my current place of work.
Speaker 4: So within my initial role.
Speaker 6: In Adelaide, I got the role as the high performance strength conditioning coach, then having to upskill myself as a tennis coach with Rowan Fisher down there, so that then built in the and was able to get the manager role in Sydney with Sandon.
Speaker 4: Was that two thousand and nine.
Speaker 6: So it's everything seems to evolve and keep building, and it was probably my passion to actually give back and continue.
Speaker 4: To improve.
Speaker 6: What services or offerings were out for me then as a player and then also as a coach, And that's one thing I'm really excited about the role that I'm in now with the WTA and also the coach Inclusion program that we've launched and partnered with Tennis Australia for.
Speaker 2: Did you ever imagine that tennis would open so many doors for you?
Speaker 6: No, to be honest, when I stopped playing, I didn't pick up a racket for twelve months, so I didn't really want much to do with the sport. I wanted to create my own pathway within that. But yeah, after twelve months, I felt I had some really good people that gave back to me in being really good hitters for me, Louise Stacey and Luke Smith, Brett Smith back in the day in Adelaide and that's where I just walked into tennis to SA and I said, if you need a hitter, I'm more than happy to jump on court.
Speaker 4: They go, what have you done?
Speaker 6: And then my strength and conditioning background was able to open up a door there and the rest is pretty much history.
Speaker 1: So fantastic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is fantastic and the progression that you've gone into now which I find interesting. So working for the WTA, your previous roles have all been with like TA or SA in New South Wales. So what's it like shifting to more of an international tennis lens than just an Aussie tennis lens.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Probably working with the National Academy in New South Wales, we did have a strong focus on being an international level of player and what we wanted that to look like, and we've been able to reap the rewards of that with all the New South Wales guys in the top of the top one hundred now, which has been fantastic. So we always had an international focus or best of practice focus for what we wanted to do.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: It's nice for me.
Speaker 6: It's probably more so the international travel and that level of tournament versus necessarily what that focus of the international level was.
Speaker 5: And so yeah, speaking of that, you were telling us before we started that it's mainly based. You're based in Sydney, mainly in Australia, but there is a big travel component, so yeah, what is the what will you be doing in play relations at the WTA, Yes.
Speaker 6: So traveling about three months of the year to various tournaments. Player relations has a large broad scope from making sure that the players are well looked after. The WTA was actually created by the players for the players, So we have a lot of player Council meetings and feedback that we receive from the players that we then look to execute to continue to improve what the tour looks like for them.
Speaker 4: So that varies.
Speaker 6: Every day is different, depends on what the demands is, depends on the amount of staff that we can have there on site. Kind of got to be a jack of all trades.
Speaker 4: You might be.
Speaker 6: Working with marketing and media one day, you might be then working with the coaches another day. So part of my role is also the working with the coaches program, so other than the accredited coaches, Yeah, trying to really build on our female coaching network out there on the tour, just because there are so many challenges and barriers for females to get on the tour in the first place.
Speaker 5: So yeah, well that follows into the next question perfectly. So this WTA Coach Inclusion program you referred to before, something obviously that is very important to you and you're passionate about. So why is this and maybe you could talk a little bit about what that program will bring.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it probably for me I'm passionate about is having a good role model, a mentor. When I was coming up and having more females coaching and on the tour as a high performance coach myself, it has been a challenge raising two boys and being a player development coach, so that is always a challenge. But this role, we are providing great mentorship for the players sorry for the coaches, where we will then partner the coaches up with pro tour coaches that are already out there it's a great opportunity for them to build their network, and that's one thing. The main barrier that we find is a lot of players will have a hitting partner that will organically grow into that relationship and then have that next step. Unfortunately, we don't necessarily see enough hitting partners out there being females. So it's how do we then create that network and environment for our female coaches to be in and around and get their knowledge analytical skills. How they then relate to the player, which is one thing we're finding is very strong with a lot of the female players is they're finding that female coaches are actually relating to them a lot stronger.
Speaker 2: Do you think that tennis is becoming somewhere that more female coaches can thrive.
Speaker 6: Definitely, But I think it also depends on the stage of the coach's life and journey, and that was definitely one challenge for myself, even staying in working for Tennis Australia and being on court until late in the evenings and trying to come home and put your family and kids.
Speaker 4: To sleep at nine o'clock at night. So I do understand that the role.
Speaker 6: Does have the demands on it, but it is a very inclusive place to work. We do have This year, we've got five female coaches are coaching top fifty players in the world, whereas you look back a couple of years we only had five female coaching coaches coaching top one hundred and fifty players in the world. So that top end and where we're wanting to see it. This program has had some really great success. I've had about twenty applicants come through the North American program. We've had two seasons of that. They're just about to start their third third round of the North American Swing. We've got the Tennis Australia program that we'll launch in Hong Kong at the two fifty, which will be fantastic, so working with Nicole Pratt and Belinda Culinari there that will be delivering this as part as the Women's and Girls Initiative from Tennis Australia. So it's great to have that collaboration and support with Tennis Australia and the WTA both coming together. We've also got one kicking off early December in London with the LTA as well, so looking to try to cover the globe with this initiative. And yeah, we've got a few coaches that have come through the program and our Billy Jinkin Cup captains, so we've got some really good success stories out there from it.
Speaker 2: You mentioned earlier that women players respond really well to having a women's coach. What are the differences between sort of coaching a female player and a male player do you think?
Speaker 6: I don't think there's much differences for coaching a female or a male. I probably think it's the way that the coach handles the situation with the female player. I think the emotions of what a female player and how they handle their emotions there, and how that coach is then reacting to that.
Speaker 4: I think that can probably be.
Speaker 6: Misunderstood in some relationships that it's just always put down, oh, she's emotional or she's this, whereas some days the player may just prefer to have a training day, may have a day off, may have other areas. And I think it's that understanding of the whole player themselves that probably the female co which is more willing to dive deeper into and yeah, emotions are scary and having those deep conversations, especially for tennis coaches when you're not necessarily taught a psych degree on how to handle those. I think it's probably the empathy or the maternal instinct that females and female coaches have that they can really connect better. Who are some of the coaches that you look back on with great fondness or really motivated you or inspired you? For me, I was always surrounded by male coaches. So the one hitter that I did have and she was fantastic, it was Louise Stacy. So she played OSIO Open Juniors, tried on the tour for a little bit as well, so as a female mentor, I did have her around. But for me, probably my main two coaches that I really clicked with were Peter Smith from a very young age as well as Craig Morris during my years with AIS. So I think both the way that those two went about their coaching was actually understanding you and giving you that full holistic development with how they're handling you and how they're how.
Speaker 4: You're learning as a person.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I don't think it's it's black and white that males can't can't do a really good job, but I think that that connection between the player and the coach really has to be strong, of.
Speaker 5: Course, and I think we've seen that. Actually it was Costchuk that's been talking about since she moved to working with Sandra Zanievska. Yes, exactly what you said about just having those conversations and relating. Just Sandra gets her in a way that maybe a male coach didn't, and not that the male coaches were bad, it's just a different relationship. But she's also having her career best year, so you know, maybe that works for her so.
Speaker 6: Exactly, And that's that's one thing that Marta. Marta and Sandra have been fantastic within this program. So when we've had the coaches in the fine stages of the program, they will partner up with a touring coach and we've had some of our coaches partner with Sandra and then been privileged to have some insights from Martyr as well. And that's definitely one thing that was spoken very openly about, is that relationship and understanding of the athlete.
Speaker 5: Now, if you've asked you about which coaches you enjoyed working with, we also know that you worked with players, and you alluded to before a lot of the players coming through New South Wales have gone on to great things. Who were some of your favorite players to guide and coach and some of those great relationships you've had.
Speaker 6: Yeah, probably my main strongest relationship would have been with Gabby DESILVERFK. So she's around four hundred now in the world WTA had some injuries up and down the last couple of years, but yeah, the last six months really starting to step it up. So working with her day in, day out, the commitment from the family, it is that whole holistic relationship that you build with the family because there's they're trusting so much of you as a coach, the amount of our that you're with their son or daughter. But yeah, working with Gabby has been very rewarding for me and to see where she's still continuing to go. Also had some great trips with Olivia Gadeki and Annlie Paulus and Tina Smith. So yeah, it's been fantastic to see how it lives done in the last.
Speaker 5: Time the woman of the hour, isn't she exactly.
Speaker 6: So no, so proud of her to see where she is now, so taking some time off to reset herself and now watching her sore is just fantastic to see.
Speaker 5: Now. I guess you stayed so connected with the game even since you stopped playing yourself, which was two thousand and five, and in that time since then, how do you see women's tennis having kind of progressed? I guess we're in this we're in an ear and now A lot of people we talk to say like, it's never been more It's never been more physical and powerful. There is an incredible depth in the sp that maybe we've never seen before. We've got some players emerging that like Eager and Arena, they've won like five slams and three slams. Like, what do you when you watch women's centers now and you're actually involved with the tool, what do you think of the current state of women's tennis.
Speaker 6: It's very impressive where it's at the moment watching as you touched on the physicality of the players is Yeah, it's just improved in light years over the last a decade or so, and I think it continues to the amount of data and information that the coaches are getting to continue to improve and tweak. I think the sports science part of the coach and the whole team within that environment, Yeah, it just continues to help getting that player fitter, stronger. It's they're impressive athletes out there and walking around at the tournaments. I actually in Australia, I feel like at the shops I'm decent height. I actually feel very short I'm walking around the tour, so these women are like, yeah, another foot taller than me.
Speaker 4: It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 6: So no, definitely the physicality, but I think technology also plays a massive part in that as well.
Speaker 2: Sure you alluded to it earlier, but the current state of Australian tennis, what do you make of it, and especially the promising crop of young women.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm always proud to look at a program when we had the National Academy in New South Wales and what we were able to achieve there. We had a great bunch of coaches there that were dedicated the culture blue wool tennis culture that we have installed, that was led by Demon back in the day when he was around. And yeah, watching all of those guys, I love giving Layton a little bit of a nudge that most of his Davis Cup team did come from New South Wales and also that Cruz is a New South Wales boy as well. So no, it's fantastic to see them do so well. But it's not just the ones that are out on the tour that were able to make that transition. We've had so many great athletes and also people that have come through the program. So the ones that have gone to US College, unfortunately a handful or a lot of those have actually stayed over in the college and coaching, So we're missing out on that talent that was homegrown and they've had a great opportunity. No hex fees go to college, and then we've got some that have stayed there. We've got others that are lawyers in Sydney. So it's really impressive to see where where tennis can take you and the opportunities that it can provide. And yes, we definitely celebrate the guys that are up there on the top, but there's a lot of different pathways and I think probably my journey speaks to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I just have to throw in one last question. I'm sorry listening to you talk. The thing that strikes me the mist as much as tennis is an individual sport, it's been all about the team for you and everything that comes back to So is that one of the great fallacies of tennis that it's such an individual sport? I think it definitely it is an individual sport. I would say until you're about fourteen and under, and then you start to really work out who your good mates are on the court. You're able to travel the world, you're all in the same position together.
Speaker 4: You might be slumming it in hotel rooms.
Speaker 6: I think you have a lot of story about the Challenger guys and sleeping in cars and those sorts of things, but they're the memories that also make it as well.
Speaker 4: YEA, so it is. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I always refer to it as a tennis family, and I do strongly believe that that was probably instilled in in myself through Leyton and through the Davis Cup team, because the way that Nuke and Roach were always looking after those boys, and the way that Layton looks after that next generation with the Orange Boys, how he had Hayden Jones and Charlie Camu the last few years Ringe boys really building what that environment is and what that culture is. And I think if that's led from the top with the Davis Cup team and that always filtered down with us.
Speaker 1: Well, it's been great hearing about your experiences. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Worries, good luck with the next part of your career. This new move into the WT and the women's coaching space. It's awesome and look forward to seeing what happens there.
Speaker 4: Thank you. Yes, it's very exciting.
Speaker 6: I'm looking forward to Hong Kong and kicking it off there before we get to wrap it up during the Aussie Open.
Speaker 3: So viv Jaslyn just finished on talking about how tennis becomes such a family, such a community, and I think that's one of the things I get out of the most when I talk to tennis players, how much of a community feel this sport can be. It's obvious that her and Laden grew up in a very very sports centric family, so I guess that that family aspect is just ingrained in everything they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting that she said that she has never known anything else other than growing up as Leyton's sister, which obviously created some pressure for her, but she used it in a really positive way. And yeah, I love the fact that she talks about how relationships are everything to her in tennis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you'd need it to be. And Jaslyn said that some of her main inspirations in terms of females in Australia were Alisha Moley Can, Sam Stoza, We obviously know that they're amazingly phenomenal athletes and players. So for Jaslyn, what do you think the main kind of element of their personalities is why she was so inspired by them?
Speaker 2: I think it was what we were actually just talking about, that they are real team players and she got to spend time with them in a team environment.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, she's passionate about giving opportunity opportunities to women in tennis, so yeah, really positive person to have around.
Speaker 3: Is this actually kind of like just the next step for her and her career going into the WTA.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And she talks a lot about how every role she's taken something, She's learned something in every role and taken it into the next role. One of her past roles at Tennis Australia is in the women and girls' space, and now she has such a great opportunity to further influence that in a really positive way.
Speaker 4: That's really exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's definitely exciting. And we'll be back next week with another episode of the sit Down. In the meantime, you can tune into John and the Team on The AO Show weekly on Thursday. Details for how to contact us are in the show notes. Remember to subscribe, rate, and.
Speaker 3: Review, and Matt will be back with you next week.
Speaker 2: How exciting is exciting, But thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Brice, You're welcome anytime.