Speaker 1: It's in the news today, but it was actually on TV Reload the podcast last week.
Speaker 2: Theirline welcome back to TV Reload. My name's Benjamin Norris and on this podcast I go behind the scenes with the biggest players in television. Each episode you will get a front row seat with content makers like executive producers, writers, editors and casting agents, plus the talent that we see on our screens. TV Reload reloads the shows that we are all currently watching and gives you a better insight into our television industry and our streaming services. Today. On the podcast, I have the winners from the Challenge Australia. It is Bachelor in Paradise Kiki and Australian Ninja Warrior Troy. Keiki may have had more injuries than most, but with a strong attitude and the right alliances, she managed to come out on top and win some money that will most likely change her life. Troy had to worry about a huge target on his back with his no ninja strength, but it was his social game that had him surviving. With his sites now set on the Challenge Worlds, I will ask Keky about her reunion with Jess Brody and Kieran how she managed to push through quite a bit of pain, and who she thinks deserves to join her in the global fight of the Challenge Australia Worlds, soon to be seen on Paramount Plus. Then Troy will talk War of the Wounds, deleted fight scenes, and he will defend himself against a very stinky rumor. I'll also ask them five need to know questions, which hopefully will give us some tea being spilt on the rest of the cast. However, let's get started with today's guests. I'd like to welcome Keiki and Troy, the winners of The Challenge Australia to TV reload.
Speaker 3: When we were doing that.
Speaker 4: One hundred klimeter bike ride, it was about thirty eight degrees in direct sunlight and we're wearing thermals.
Speaker 2: It's the moment they fought for all season.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day, you get the edit you get, and you still got to say those things to get that edit.
Speaker 2: But where twenty two once stood, now only six players remain.
Speaker 4: Watching the showback. I had no idea so many people had it out for the Batschi Alliant.
Speaker 1: There is only nine minutes separating first and second. The only issue the edits is they exaggerate the stuff they wanted and the winners.
Speaker 3: That's a challenge Australia.
Speaker 1: Try.
Speaker 4: I'm really grateful to put out to you keep these girls that were happy to.
Speaker 3: See me win.
Speaker 2: High KK congratulations on becoming the first female champion of the Challenge Australia.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm so so grateful for everyone's support. It's been such a long time coming. I've been holding onto the secret now for so long, so finally celebrate one of the hardest things I've ever ever done in my life.
Speaker 2: Really, what do they do to try and get you to keep this a secret? Like, I mean do they do they try and blackmail you to the offer you more money, you pick, you.
Speaker 3: Promise, and then you seal it with your thumb and that's how we.
Speaker 4: Do it, like high school days, the pinky promise.
Speaker 3: No, I mean there's contracts and things in here, h for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean I wanted to keep it a secret as well as contractually, but because we want everyone to watch it and enjoy and see it as a surprise. So I mean, it's just exciting to get to watch it back and relive what was such a horror and rewarding experience.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I just think it would be so stressful for you, of all people, like that finale, you know, how about that Blair Witch camera, you know, with you running along screaming at Connor, was like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: I was literally just speaking with Brook Jowet, who came second about ten minutes ago, and I said, he's lucky he got up, because if he laid down and didn't die, I was going to kill him myself, because I knew in my head I had a slight I still a head start on her to getting this getting across the line. I had a lean on her by about fifteen or twenty minutes still in my mind, but obviously it was nine minutes. And I'm so grateful he got up and started running again, because, like I said, he would have been a dead man. I would have pushed that car back over him myself if I had to do it alone.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, You know, did the finale give justice to just how stressful it was. I mean, I've been in reality TV, so I know that what you're watching is usually about ten times worse, But you know, watching it back, did that sort of summarize how it felt at the time?
Speaker 3: I watched it.
Speaker 4: Last night, and I like, this looks like a cake walk. I haven't even broken a sweat in half of this. Like so just for example, like when we were doing that one hundred kilometer bike ride, it was about thirty eight degrees in direct sunlight and we're wearing thermals.
Speaker 3: I've got a lazy G string on.
Speaker 4: That I'd worn to the final the elimination the night before, which was literally cutting me in half like a serrated knife.
Speaker 3: So I cut that off with a box caro and kept riding. Then we had to run and we're boiling hot.
Speaker 4: Well, then we get into a wetsuit that is a steamer made for like freezing called Arctic temperatures, so you're cooking in a can.
Speaker 3: But it's like you was.
Speaker 4: I was fermenting in my own avocado river at that time while we were doing that puzzle. It was just horrible. We just what they put you through is horrific. But I mean that's why it's called the challenge. They want to make you uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: It's been a very stressful week for people watching television. The White Lotus finale was stressful. The Challenge Australia, please don't spoil it for me.
Speaker 3: There's the Nightloaders. I haven't watched it.
Speaker 2: Okay, good luck. Can I just tell you that they're on par they're both very stressful final episodes of a TV series. Yeah, but you've got practice. You're right, You'll be okay. When you joined the show, did you think that you had any chance of winning up against all these other people?
Speaker 4: No, and there was there's many reasons as to why I didn't think I had a chance. I mean, I trained with a pt for three weeks leading up to it, and some of these people have trained their whole lives, so that was already putting me at a disadvantage. Plus, I flew directly in from Spain to Argentina after being on vacation with my boyfriend, so I was not mentally prepared to move into a house full of you know, crazy and wonderful personalities. On top of all of that, like, I try to be everyone's friend, and it's really hard to kind of go into these situations where you've got to vote people into eliminations and you've got to you know, push, push pull and fight your way through, you know, the situation, and knowing that you've got to kick dirt in someone's face, or you've got to you know, drag someone to the ground, like we saw the girls in that wrestling match, Like, I'm not that kind of person.
Speaker 3: It was very tough.
Speaker 2: Well, you also had some of them, you know, you had medical hurdles, you know, the whole way through the show, more than anyone else seen. How did you manage to pull through that? Because I remember there was so much conversation midway through the competition that you would leave, which means that meant that your partner would also leave the competition as well. You know what was it that kept you going?
Speaker 4: I mean that was definitely a huge contributing factor because I knew that if I go to hospital and get medically dissqualified from the competition, whoever the algorithm had teaming up with that week would get sent home as well. So I was avoiding going to the medical center because I didn't want to get sent home. And then on top of that as well, I just I feel like complaining a lot about it definitely didn't help because then everyone in the house had a target on my back, going he's got to saw back, let's kick it when she's down because I talk too much about this injury that everyone knew about it, and it was almost a disadvantage to me as well, so I should have kept my mouth shut.
Speaker 2: No, they were keeping you to the end, thinking you were the weakest player. You were going around saying you had a bad back. You know, got to look at it from the under the other side of things, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, you're right, except that you.
Speaker 2: Beat all anyway, I don't. I don't think it would be right of me to have this conversation with you today without mentioning the spin bike trick that you managed to pull off. As a gay man, I've never worn a G string, but maybe a lot of gay men might have and they would understand. But were you really uncomfortable or was that just for show?
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, So to put it into perspective, if I knew I was going directly into a challenge, I would have worn like a Bond's, you know, seamless.
Speaker 3: Hideous but comfortable underwear.
Speaker 4: But if you guys, remember I went from that bound an elimination where I was wearing my fluorescent blazer and my thigh high light of the boots. So I was wearing, like, you know, something a little bit Sexy and Brine announced that.
Speaker 3: We were going straight into the finale.
Speaker 4: So in the end I was on a spin bike and forty five degree heat in thermal tights on on a bike seat which was really quite uncomfortable. And then that G string, which was made of lace, was just not working for me. Like I said, it was kind of like sandpaper. So I called that to the crew instead of anyone got scissors. Luckily, one of the sound had a box cut up and you kind of yeah, cut it off. And then shortly after I ended up cutting Britney's G string off for her as well.
Speaker 3: While we were running.
Speaker 4: It was almost like a relay, but instead of a baton, we were passing the cut off G string and we just kept.
Speaker 2: It on running the box cut up for your boxes. I just, you know, I think that there's going to be a lot of straight men asking their girlfriends at home to do that for them as a trick. They were like, you know, what's your biggest turn on? Well, you know the girl Kiki from the Challenge Australia that's been staying in my mind. Sorry, can You're going to get lumped with that, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: I mean I didn't want a litter as well, So I think I tucked the G string into the sleeve of my shirt while I was still cycling. At about two hours later, I went, why have I still got this hit?
Speaker 3: Get rid of it?
Speaker 2: How much did you trust the people that you had in the finale? You know as you as you did sort of suspect Connor at one point was trying to sabotage you so that he's bestie or he's alliance brook Jay would win. Were you dubious of everyone? Was it just every man for themselves?
Speaker 4: I don't think I actually second guess to anyone up until that point. And I was like, at that very last, I think there was a you know, five kilometer run left to go, and I thought to myself, why would he lay down right now? And in my mind, obviously that thought crossed my mind, and I obviously verbalized that in that video potentially we see how alliances work. It was a thought that had crossed my mind. And thankfully he got up and continued to run, and I was able to bring it home with that nine minute difference between brook Day and I. But I mean, she was an amazing athlete throughout the whole thing, and I'm really grateful to have been able to compete with girls that were happy to see me win and congratulated me so genuinely and authentically. So I'm really grateful for both Brittany and Brook through that whole experience because it was.
Speaker 2: It was really hard, yeah, absolutely, and there were some loose ends for you, you know, for you to tie up from fans perspective, because you know, when we heard who was going into the show where like Jess, Brody, Karen, and then I guess we all wanted to know how the reality of living together again was going to work out. I mean, what surprised you from putting the three of you back together having a backstory that was quite complicated.
Speaker 4: I mean, Jess and I had kind of made amends back years before after Bachelor in Paradise, and Kieran had reached out out with me as well, and we kind of made amends as well, So which was good because I think a lot of people were expecting there to be drama between us, but because I guess we've matured as people and there was very very important lessons for the three of us to have learnt from that time during Bachelor in Paradise, so I think we all became better people from that experience, and we were able to bury the hatchet and kind of use it as an experience that we could bond together on. I mean, having Kieran as a partner on three occasions in that challenge, I was really grateful for the pre for our history.
Speaker 2: Everyone's partners were at home going, what's going to happen? You know, Kieren's a partner. You've got a partner. I don't know, I've just got a partner. But like everyone would be sitting there going, what's going to happen to these people? But you kind of all handled it pretty well.
Speaker 3: I mean I took one look at Kieran and I thought to myself, the hell was I think back then, like did you know.
Speaker 4: This kind's a great and he's a great guy, and like, don't get me wrong, I love him dearly now as a friend, And I was like, what was I think you? I mean, it was a crazy experience, and looking back, I mean, I'm grateful to have had those memories with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was once said an afternoon drinks and I was with four girls at the afternoon drinks, and all four girls had dated him and we only worked it out in like this conversation. So one of the girls took a photo and send it to him, and I was like, this, poor bastard, Like, you know, this is his night this is his nightmare. The Witches of Eastwick are coming for you, buddy.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: He does shoot himself in the foot quite a lot, and I'm grateful that he's obviously learned his lesson now and he's putty socks up a little bit.
Speaker 3: But bless his little heart. You know, he's got a really big heart.
Speaker 4: He's a really genuine and authentic person and I think that, you know, going on this show, he's also learned a lot about himself as well, So you know, I'm really happy and proud of him for how far you we.
Speaker 2: Well, do you think our challenges are tough enough? You know in this production that you're a part of that will help you when it comes to representing Australia in worlds.
Speaker 3: I think our.
Speaker 4: Season was training wheels and I think that the world is going to be a real rude awakening for someone like myself. I mean, Troy's a freak and he is literally going to just take to it like a duck to water. I, on the other hand, I'm even just I'm just dreading the fact that I'm going to have to go through getting my lashes. We're all over again, and not having my boyfriend to talk to whenever I want. And you know what I mean, like those little life luxuries is what really concerns me. It's not even the physical aspect yet. That hasn't really even clicked in my brain yet.
Speaker 2: You were a little worried about partnering up with Troy, which I thought was really funny because you were saying, Oh, I think he's a little soft handed. Do you prefer to sort of align yourself with men that are more dominating, like do you prefer a more alpha maleo?
Speaker 4: Notoriously, I am very indecisive, and I mean I do have an inner monologue that sometimes pykes me out of my ability. So if you can't push me and say kicking, like what the f are you doing? Like dig deep, we're going to struggle. And I think when Troy and I did Buddy Blinders, which was the challenge we were partnered up. When we came second last, he said to me, what do you want to do? And I said, don't ask me what I want to do, tell me what you want me to do. And he really needed to kind of become the leader in that challenge because.
Speaker 1: Don't give me off.
Speaker 2: You got to keep him in mind.
Speaker 3: The worst thing you can do to a woman don't give her choices.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, there was a lot of cat fights along the way between boys and boys and girls and girls. But I wanted to ask you what fight had the biggest impact on your time on the show.
Speaker 4: Well, look, the fight between Grant and Cyrel put me into an elimination that then made me send home David and Jeff Brody. So that was big for me because that was pretty daunting going into elimination against people that you consider your friends. But then also watching the show back, I had no idea so many people had it out for the Batchy Alliance. I mean, in the Batchy Alliance, we were just having a good time. We weren't really strategizing. I'm watching scenes back now and people are whispering in rooms and writing in notebooks and plotting how to get rid of the Batchy Alliance.
Speaker 3: And we're out.
Speaker 4: They're drinking cocktails, hanging out by the pool, like making up, you know, crazy little monologues trying to keep ourselves entertained. So I had no idea that that many people hated us or wanted us out at.
Speaker 2: Least, so you're just doing what the batch that holiday.
Speaker 4: I mean, I got the best hand of my life in Argentina.
Speaker 2: And got I love you. You know, Brook Blurton came off The Bachelorette, where you know, she's the star of the show, and it seemed to sort of really affect the way that she socialized with her fellow players. She's even now come out in the media saying, you know, she felt uncomfortable even having to socialize with any of you. Do you think that she struggled being on an even playing field this time around.
Speaker 4: I think it was really funny because Brooke in small groups us girls all had so much fun together.
Speaker 3: But then I.
Speaker 4: Think the energy of if you're an empathetic person, you can really sense people's energy, and it was really kind of you could cut it with a knife when there was the arguments between Ryan's and Sugars and Emily's and I think that for her because she wasn't a part of that, but she was kind of all absorbing that energy. Made a lot of people kind of want to remove themselves from group environment, that group environment because it was pretty stressful when you could literally cut the energy with a.
Speaker 2: Knife in the house. What's next for you?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What the hell are you going to do after this? Like the bench has been set so high, girlfriend, I know, like I feel.
Speaker 4: Like I've got a couple more challenges in me if I get invited back, and I definitely need to take a long holiday with my partner.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm moving.
Speaker 4: Overseas to live with him in Spain in the next year, So that's pretty much it. Like I just want to get get my body back to full working ability because if I get invited back to another challenge, I'm going to need to bring it because you know, I feel like I could really see.
Speaker 3: Myself going far in these competitions. I enjoyed it so much.
Speaker 2: Do you put sort a training you're going to do? You do more training than the last time before preparing.
Speaker 4: To Okay, absolutely, I mean I'm going to start doing some WWE style training because if there's a physical challenge, I'm going to need to really end up and get the job done.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to start doing some jiu jitsu maybe maybe some taekwondo who know?
Speaker 2: And is the money that you've won, is that going to go towards you relocating to Spain? What are you going to do with this money? It's the most personal question that you ask anyone who wins a reality show, because the viewers all want to know how they're going to spend their money.
Speaker 4: I mean, I've always had a dream of starting a sustainable active and swimwear line as well, so that's something that I really want to focus on doing. But yes, a big chunk of the money will be going to my relocation, and I mean putting some away. And I've got a little dog that I might relocate with me over to Spain.
Speaker 3: Who knows. So we'll see how we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful, Going to say, everyone that's joined the podcast gets asked these five need to know questions. I've kind of tweaked the last one, But are you ready to go for it? You don't have to say too much. You can say as little as you want, or you can throw yourself completely under the bus. All right. Who was the nicest contestant in there?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Look, Troy.
Speaker 4: Troy's lovely, He's beautiful. He didn't have a bad way to say about anybody. Definitely Troy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's just a sweetheart.
Speaker 2: Who was the biggest villain of the series.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a very close tie between Cyrel and Ryan.
Speaker 2: They play that they play, played into their roles.
Speaker 4: You played their roles very well, and like they're good at what they do, you know what I mean, Like someone's going to be the villain and they wear that hat very well.
Speaker 2: Who was the messiest person to live with?
Speaker 4: I mean I was always telling Megan and Britain because they were my roommates, to clean up after themselves, and they were always borrowing my makeup, so I would always say, if you're going to borrow it, put it back where you found it.
Speaker 3: So that was definitely one of them.
Speaker 2: Come on, girls, come on, simple rules of makeup. Who was the funniest person in there?
Speaker 3: Conrad and Kieran.
Speaker 4: I guess Conrad's hilarious, Like I swear, he's one of the funniest guys ever, and he needs his own TV show.
Speaker 3: He's a crack up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he seemed so quiet. I was expecting him to be a little bit more like we'd seen him the last time he was on a reality show, and I spoke to him yesterday and he said maybe it was the breakup beforehand, you know, But yeah, he definitely seemed a little bit quiet for what we saw on television.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Was hard because I hadn't met Conrad prior to the show, But there were definitely light and shade to his personality. Some days he was really upbeat, some days he wasn't. And I guess that's what it's like when you're going through a breakup. Some days you've got good days, some days you got bad days. But you know, he was just a really funny, warm and nurturing person and he definitely contributed a lot to my experience in the house and I love him dearly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's beautiful.
Speaker 2: And then I've changed this last question to who do you want to win too? If you and Troy could take one more person to Worlds, who would that be out of this competition?
Speaker 1: I mean, I.
Speaker 4: Would have loved to have seen like Brook, Jay and Kieren definitely really stuck there, Like they both definitely deserved to have been on the podium along with us and go through to the world because I think they would go really, really far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Kiki, I absolutely loved watching on the show starting exchance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, taking these things off for kecks.
Speaker 2: It'll be on bumper stickers. It'll be on bumper stickers when we drive. We started it on this podcast already. Thank you so much for time. I really appreciate it. What an amazing opportunity to chat with Keiki. I tell you what, she is so funny and full of life. Definitely a fun chat. But right now we have another winner, which is Troy. Troy also managed to win for the male and is very excited to be going to Worlds. I hope you enjoy this chat as well. Both of them definitely worthy winners. Hi, Troy, congratulations on being the first male winner of the Challenge Australia.
Speaker 1: Goodah, yeah, thanks. Yeah. It was definitely a bit surreal, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I have to say that I'm still getting over how rough that showdown with Conrad was. How long did it take for your face to recover after that?
Speaker 1: Look? It took a little while to recover. I think I got back home and I think it would have been at least two weeks before all the scabs and all that had gone away, and my hands took a little bit longer than that. So yeah, it took a little while to recover.
Speaker 2: I was scared for you. But then I also just you know, had a secret fantasy that one day that Conrad would do that to me. So maybe I've got problems. Maybe I need to see a therapist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think maybe, because I can tell you right now, yeah, you don't want Conrad doing that too. It wasn't enjoyable. Even if you thought it might have looked enjoyable, I can assure you it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It really wasn't.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: A few people have mentioned to me, this is You're gonna love this. A few people who I've spoken to so far from the Challenge Australia have said that you were the smelliest contestant in there, and I was like, yes.
Speaker 1: They can get stuffed.
Speaker 2: One of them is one of your good friends, Marley. Marley was like, oh, you had to keep telling him that, you know, he smelt real bad. And I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Now, look it might have been my thoughts in the room. You know, that's my fault. Sorry, Marley, but uh I Reckon Grant took the award for most smelliest. To be honest, he was dropping bombs.
Speaker 2: Left Fran center, So you were, you know, one player who sort of you know, entered the competition had the least amount of scandal out of all the other people. Do you think it was harder for the other people who came into the show with so much scandal? Do you think it was harder for them to win considering that they had so much to unpack with other people?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so, because they all had an alliance straight away, like the batchler, and then they sort of had the bedroom alliance super quick, the upstairs room or whatever it was. But you know, sore when I was alone, and then I was lucky enough to find Mali. But I don't know. I just felt like they all took a lot of things very personally, and that's what didn't help their game more so than anything. As opposed to, you know, if they had to just played the game and treated all the decisions as game decisions, I felt like they would have done a lot better. But the fact that they took everything so personal. Every time somebody did a move in the game that was against him, I was like, oh my god, you hate me, And I was like, well, no, I just I've got to put somebody in I can't just not put anybody in like and I think yeah, a lot of them, it became very personal and very emotional, and they're very quickly and it was just clear from about you know, episode two or three that these two groups they just hated each other, like they just didn't like each other. They weren't going to work with each other. So Marley and I were just able to play the middle. So in the end, yes, it did work out well that I guess. I didn't have anything to unpack with anybody. But also if they had to just let their personal vended as go, I would have been fine too.
Speaker 2: When they do the psychological assessment for a lot of the reality shows, not this one, but not even for Ninja Warrior, but for a lot of those other shows, they are testing to see whether or not you're you go from zero to one hundred really easily, because that makes great television. So these people you were living with, they are programmed to be like that. They cannot be anyone else but those people.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's true. Yeah obviously coming from Ninja, Yeah, I wasn't quite like that, and it was a very odd odd house to be in when you're not like that, Like you know I was coming from you know, everything's so happy and so fun and you're all there to compete, you're having a good time to oh my god, you took my bed straight away. It's like what the hell? And the row's going off her head and you but you're like, you don't want to be involved with it, but you need to know what happened, what's happening, and what's being said, because if you don't, you don't know like where you sit in the game. I guess, so, yeah, it was all bit.
Speaker 2: You just had to be involved.
Speaker 1: You had to be involved. But yeah, you had to be involved, but you didn't have to participate, if that makes sense. You have to add to the field to fight, which you know, I just wanted to go under the radar a bit socially because I knew that I was going to be such a big physical threat or you know, col challenge throat.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah. I was wondering whether you're going to try and have to downplay it, you know, throw something at the start. You know, it's like they said, primary school teachers need to yell at the kids on the first day to set the record straight. Where for you, maybe you could have lost a you know, lost something early on to make them dubious as to whether or not you really were a challenge beast.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I probably could have done that, Probably should have done that. But luckily, luckily, these two alliance has just hated each other and they.
Speaker 2: Just went off and each other.
Speaker 1: They just canne Yeah, they did, so I could just sort of take a back seat and just let them go at it basically and somehow fly under the radar.
Speaker 2: Well, I just think the reality TV contestants are just notoriously confrontational, you know, and so it's interesting for you to then go into a show where these people have been on Maths or Bachelor in Paradise, where those shows are all about that kind of confrontation. When they were auditioning you were asking you to do this show, did they ask you, you know, do you throw drinks in people's faces? What do they How do they know that you were going to work in with these people?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I know they probably didn't know, but they did ask a fair few questions like that, And I said, you know, more often than not, I am pretty honest, and I'll tell you what I think of you, which I did inside the house, which is why. I think it actually got me out of a lot of trouble because everybody knew. I was like, you know, I'm working with Marley. He's my guy. I'm going to save him over everybody. I don't care. I'm happy to work with other people, but we're working with each other. It doesn't mean I've got your back the whole game. And that really played into mine and Marley's hands because we were able to you know, everyone sort of knew where we stood in the game. I guess, so there wasn't any angst around us. But now I did end up getting into one confrontation while I was there, but they cut the whole thing. I ended up having to run in with Ryan.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because I put Ryan in.
Speaker 1: So being brook Jay, obviously we're going to put Ryan in. And I said to Ryan, oh, you know you're going in blah blah, bah blah blah. And he goes, oh, I heard you said to people you didn't like the way I was treating people. And I said, yes, I did say that, because I said it in deliberation to his friend Grant, but it was after Grant and told me, oh, yeah, I don't like the way Ryan's been treating people in the house, so that I was like, oh, yeah, that's part of the reason why he's going into It's when I got upstairs the Tommy was going. He's like, I heard you said this. I said, yeah, I did, mate, but so did like your best mate, Grant. Why an't you yelling at him? Why are you yelling at me? He's like, yeah, I just didn't expect it from you. I'm so disappointed. I'm like, well, yeah, I just felt like he went around the house like disrespecting a lot of people, and I didn't like that. And you know, I've got no qualms with him now, I don't feel like I don't know how he feels about me.
Speaker 2: But well, you'll only know what You'll only know once the wedding happens. So when Emily and get married and you don't want the wedding invitation, it sounds like, you know, it isn't great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I'm not going to lie. I'm not expecting an invitation now, don't. I don't think it's too great. But yeah, So I was in one confrontation, but it did get cut, I guess because Ryan ended up going home, so there was nothing more to build on. I guess, but yeah, it was. When I was telling him it was going in, you just be it wasn't too happy about it.
Speaker 2: You know, there was more leaks on this show than any other show that I can even think of in the history of Australian reality television. Were you surprised at how many of your competitors were willing to spoil some of the events of the show, because, I mean, that's kind of what people have been talking about today, was you know, people like, oh, do we need to watch because we've already been told so much? You know, what was your thoughts and feelings towards those people that were revealing stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't understand it, Like just just leave it, you know, leave it to as you know, let everyone watch it and then you can have your part. You don't need to get in early to say your partner. I guess that's what they wanted to do. I don't know why. I guess there was a lot of animosity in the house and a lot of discomfort. So I feel like maybe everybody was trying to, you know, get ahead of the curb type thing and get their story out first so that their story is right. But that's not the way it works. You know, just because you get a story out first, it isn't right. And I do wish people had waited to, you know, say their a bit until after you know, that episode airs and then you can have a discussion about it because you know, nobody's going to believe you more just because you're getting first, or at least that's the way I feel. So yeah, I wish.
Speaker 2: I think they muddy the water. I think that's what people think that they're doing. They're like, oh, they don't even remember how it happened in their mind, but they're not willing for someone else to say how it happened first, so they just throw something in the absolute garbage to sort of muddy the water so that it kind of you know, people who are not there will go, well, who knows who to believe? Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think, yeah, I think you're right. I think they do a bit of that too, And yeah, you can definitely see it and then they're like, oh, you know, I got and then they can be like, oh, I got a bad edit or I've got a good edit or whatever it is, and at the end of the day, you get the edit. You get and you still got to say those things to get that edit as well, don't you think?
Speaker 2: But don't you think? Of all people? And I was really looking forward to chatting to you about this because from everyone I spoke to throughout the production of it, and once it went to air, people said you were who you were on the show, and I could see that, you know, and that's probably why people really enjoyed you on this series. Watching all the other people who complained about their edit, do they have a reason to complain about the editor or do you think they We kind of got to see exactly how they were.
Speaker 1: I feel like you did kind of get to see exactly how they were the Only issue with the edits is they exaggerate the stuff they want to, so that's still their character, but for example, they might just exaggerate surrel going off, but they don't show that, you know, the actual where it's coming from, which is just is just a very passionate person and you know she believes in what she says and that's where it comes from. But then it looks really bad because they don't show the side afterwards where she's you know, she might be in the wrong when she would actually come out and apologize if she was. You know, they don't so that side of her. So I guess they just exaggerate the sides of your character they want they want to, I guess, And I feel like maybe that's why they feel they got a bad edit. But it's not necessarily a bad edit. They're just showing your bad traits more than your good traits, because I do believe a lot of the competitors did have good traits, but you know of them had bad traits too, just like me, I've got some good traits and I've got some bad traits. You know, I'm no good at trivia, that's for sure, but I'm good in the physical So you know, we've all got our good sides and our bad sides. And I just feel like, yeah, you can't exactly blame a bad edit for it. Like you sign up for this, you know, you don't really get a say in how they portray you.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't tell everyone's story. That's the biggest problem I think we've worked out over the time because people say, oh my god, they didn't show me the way that I wanted. But you know, when we think about how that experience had happened. We have a tunnel vision of how it all happened, with our thoughts and feelings, and then you've got so many people with all of their narratives going on, it's impossible to correctly tell everyone's story when you've got such a limited time frame. So I think it's more there's a bit there's a smarter way of me explaining that, but I'm not that smart. So there's just the long one.
Speaker 1: I mean either, yeah, I get it, Yeah, a bit the same. And that's why I like, you know, I didn't get much airtime episode one, for example, because I've involved in all the drama that happened, with the bad fighting and all that. Yeah, I said some comments on it, but like in the interviews, but they you know, they choose who they want to sort of portray in that episode, and you know, Bill and Susanne, you're a lot of air time because that's the only episode they're on, So obviously they're going to try and show their character as much as possible as and they knew obviously I made the finals, and that they could spread, they could say your character over the season. So you do miss out in a lot of good moments as well because of that, which is what you're saying, good character moments from other people as well. But yeah, I think at the end of the day, if you get a bad edit, like and you're worried about that, you shouldn't have come in and either done this show or said what you said, like, it's not odd.
Speaker 2: I heard an editor once referring to people like yourself. You know, once you've shot a show and then you've got to edit it and put it together, you've got people like yourself that are the veggie might, which means that you can use it sparingly and consistently throughout the series and it's just as tasty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that really sounds.
Speaker 1: Like a sort of sense I get where you're comes from, but yeah, yeah, that's true. And I guess as you said, like, because I was there so long, you could sort of add my character in throughout the series rather than you know, any major moments, like I think there was only like episode nine I think was the only one where I felt like I got a lot of tight screen time. That was probably because I was about to go into elimination against Conrad and get my ass whooped. But somehow win so.
Speaker 2: To give you the backstraight and they've got to get the audience a reason to fight.
Speaker 1: And I feel like when somebody's going into elimination, they get a lot of story that episode generally.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, what does it mean to be now going on to represent Australia in worlds? That must be amazing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty cool. Like I'm pretty excited, especially being a fan of the show as well, Like I've watched a lot of The Challenge Flagship on MTV and that so for me to go represent Australia and even be a part of that is it's pretty cool. Like it's not often you can go say, hey, I represented Australia a world competition, you know, and I'm going to be able to say that. So it's pretty cool experience. And I'm just keen to get stuck into it and show my tenacity there and see if I can get the job done.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like our challenges were tough enough to prepare you for, you know, the bigger production of the show, because you know, I've watched the Challenge around the world, different iterations of it, and some of their challenges are mind blowing, you know. Do you feel like you've been prepared enough or are you just going to throw yourself out of some helicopters and planes in the meantime? Like, what the hell do you do to prepare for this?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, I feel like I'm pretty prepared. But you can never be too prepared. So yeah, I might have to go get a helicopter ride and just jump out on jump out of it a few times, and do some more puzzles and run some more. But yeah, no, I feel like I feel like it did prepare you. But as you said, I've seen the main season as well, and yeah, it's going to be pretty hectic, so I need to do a bit more preparation.
Speaker 2: Do you think if they do another series that they should put more Ninja Warriors in there? I mean, now that we know that you know Ninja Warriors do well, you know, should they pepper a few more in and who do you think from the Australian Ninja Warriors series would be good on this show?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I would love for them to put more Australian Ninja Warriors on a show. I feel like, thanks to me, they might end up having a target straight away when they get in. But I think, you know, they should give Zach is a good made of mind, Zach stoles, Ashland and go even Olivia Vivian. I reckon she'd be great at it. And you know, I reckon they might bring a bit of drama too, especially I feel like Ashland would bring a bit of drama just because he wouldn't care. He'd just be like, oh whatever and just move on, and I feel like people would get frustrated with that. But yeah, I think that would be very good competitors and ninjas, and I hope they do bring if there is another season, they bring on more ninjas, because you know, I'm not the second Ninja ever to compete in it, and there's been over like forty seasons of the challenge and I'm the second Ninja ever, So that's pretty cool too.
Speaker 2: More ninjas, more ninjas, I think, you know, for someone who's always you know, getting you know, setting goals and taking on the next project. Once that's over with, what's next, what are you going to pick? I'm like, I'm worried for You've You've won so many things, You've done so well, what's the next mountain to climb?
Speaker 1: You know? To be honest, I'd love to go on a flagship show, like on the MTV version, and see how it'll go against them, because I know that they're going to be cutthroat, They're going to be brutal, and it's going to be I feel like could be a great experience to go compete against the best and see how people have been doing it for ten seasons, how they go in it, you know, like a next Big Challenge type thing, and see if I can take down some of the bigger competitors there, like like you know your ct who's won twice in a row, and you know you've got Jordan who's won three three. You know, it'd be good to go over there and compete against these people and see if I can keep up with their standard.
Speaker 2: And then what are you going to do with this one hundred thousand dollars? Have you worked it out? I know it's not an appropriate question to really ask people having gone out their money, but we feel like we're deserved an answer.
Speaker 1: You know, no, that's me. You did deserve an answer. Look, I'm going to hopefully travel the world a bit with my partner, with my girlfriend Ange. I want to treat her a bit and then I'll spend the rest of the money on renovations around the house. I got a massive reno. I'm sun because I'm a chippy and I want to add another bedroom and all the rest of it. So yeah, just just old, boring stuff. But it's going to go a long way to set my life up, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Everyone who's joined the podcast from the Challenge Australia has been asked these five questions, these five s that a need to know questions. So I don't know if you've listened to any of the episodes, but they're all pretty easy, and you know, you have to completely throw yourself under the bus if you don't want to. Here we go. Are you ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who was the nicest contestant in there?
Speaker 1: Marling?
Speaker 2: A lot of people said Marley. So that's you know, obviously, at the end of this will tell it all up and give hand out some smartiesh nothing good, nothing good. Who is the biggest villain of the series?
Speaker 1: Ryan?
Speaker 2: Who was the messiest person to live with? Oh, Johnny, he was on me there for such a small period of time.
Speaker 1: He had his clothes everywhere every time.
Speaker 2: Okay, you got rid of him. It was a mess. Who was the funniest person to be living there with.
Speaker 1: Oh the funniest. But who was there again, I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: People have said very common people have people have said that Conrad was very funny. People said David Sabritsky was funny. Yeah, there's someone was saying that what's her name Megan was quite dry and quite funny. I don't know, it's up to you like your.
Speaker 1: Sense of funny. Yeah, I actually did think Conrad was very funny, like when he got in a mood. When Conrad was in a mood, he was incredibly funny, Like I got these weird moods where he became another person. I guess he became like super annoying guy and him just wandered around the house doing random stuff that was just really funny. But yeah, he actually was there, pretty funny.
Speaker 2: Oh like him. I think he's great. I think he might be my celebrity crush. Don't be weird. So the last question I've sort of change because it was who did you to win? And it was quite funny. Right from the first person I had on the podcast, they said you, So as I asked that question. As it went along, We've got a lot of people saying you, which is great. However, I've changed it to if you and kick you could take one more person to worlds, who would that be?
Speaker 1: Look for males, I would want to take Marley obviously, like I had my back the whole time, and I know it was just really fun to vent too, and you helped my game a lot. And as for girls, I would want to take book Jouette because again we've just worked together really well, like he won two challenges to get that and we won the first League of the final together. So yeah, Brook Jouette for me and Marley.
Speaker 2: Alrighty, I'll have to sit back and watch and wait and see when it's being officially announced.
Speaker 1: Mate.
Speaker 2: Can I just say thank you so much for coming on the podcast. It was fun to chat with you. I think you did a great job and you know, congratulations on taking it out.
Speaker 1: Thank you, no drammas. Any time I would have to, I'll get Conrad's number for you.