Speaker 1: You're listening to Is It just Me? A podcast by a couple of Mitchens the radio.
Speaker 2: Oh, the time has come, Cheery the legend of talkback radio himself, John Laws is retiring as of today, November eight.
Speaker 3: You're officially off the air after seventy years broadcasting.
Speaker 2: This is his last day doing talkback radio, which is sad for us a couple of radio nerds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, any regular.
Speaker 2: Listeners of ours know that we bloody love a good John Law's moment.
Speaker 4: Just such John Laws, Is It just Me?
Speaker 2: There'll be heats, but I'd love to play his golden bits, So it's a bit sad that we won't get those anymore.
Speaker 3: I know I'm going to miss him, but it also makes me happy knowing that we're off air and he is as well. So any blunder that he would make, we wouldn't miss.
Speaker 4: Exactly, he's bowing out just before us.
Speaker 3: I know, chicken is a coward. You want to feed us to the punch.
Speaker 2: And so if you miss it, this is how John announced that he was retiring from radio.
Speaker 5: It's time for a rest, is what I think. And you know I've done it for a very very, very very long time, and I think that I'll just call it a day and call it a day pretty soon, probably beginning of November. Beginning of November, I think is probably the time. But I've done it for seventy years. That's a long time, long time, fantastic years. Fantastic years. Had a really really good time, and love you know, most of it, loved almost every minute of it. I'll travel, I'll sit about. I'll read more than I read now, which is a hell of a lot. But I'll read more. And when I call it a day, it'll be a day. I'm not going to go away and then come back again and say, oh, it was all a mistake. It may well be a mistake, but there'll be no return, no return. That's it.
Speaker 4: It's just a bit tired. It's giving Tracy Grimshaw. I'm not old. I'm just a bit timed. What she needs to rest?
Speaker 3: Oh you know what, I can just picture him with a couppa, sitting down the book Gotch or something Scotch an afternoon late lunches with rich billionaire friends like come on.
Speaker 2: Now, I think it's safe to say that we could describe John Laws as a friend of the ship, friend of the pod. We were lucky enough to sit down with him. We'll play you that in a second. But because we're also bowing out of the broadcast game, Emily, one of our idiots, suggested for our bucket list the things we want to do before we wrap up the podcast for good. She said, John Laws sending you guys off one final time.
Speaker 4: And beautifully said, we put it on the bucket list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know one of his producers. He was one of our kind. Yes he is, oh, just queery years.
Speaker 4: His name's En we love. I said, do you reckon?
Speaker 2: You could get a message from John saying farewell to us and our podcast, good luck with everything whatever.
Speaker 4: And he's like, yeah, leave it with me. And I said, even if he says no, to hell with that. I don't want to be doing that. Just record that. That'll be perfect. No, no more than that.
Speaker 2: He actually recorded a message for us, But I just think he didn't realize who he was talking to.
Speaker 4: You'll soon understand why.
Speaker 2: I suspect that this is the message from John You're ready?
Speaker 5: Okay, well soll as, I hope you're happy in your retirements. I tried it once. I didn't like it very much, so I came back to work. But I hope you enjoy your retirement. You know you'll find you will get bored. But find a good woman or a good book, preferably the former, and just enjoy yourselves. But if you need any help, if you need any advice, not about the women though, that's your problem, but if you need any advice about a good book to read. There's a very good book called A Fortunate Life. I can't remember his name, the bloke who wrote it, ab Facing, Yeah, ab Facing, good book, A Fortunate Life. Read there and then and you're through that, read a bit of Irviest Hevingway, and then go to sleep. Good night.
Speaker 3: That's it, Go to sleep, good night. Thanks John, thank you, Thank you the world. We'll do our best to find a good war people, try and end a good book. He didn't remember us.
Speaker 2: Even his producer said to me, I don't know where he got the retirement thing from. I haven't mentioned that you guys were retiring, And I said, you're ending your podcast twenty eight.
Speaker 3: We're off retiring for God's sake. We're gay men. We both have good men.
Speaker 2: But anyway, we spoke to John Laws and you were very intimidated by him. You walked away from that being like that interview was a fucking shocker.
Speaker 3: That was a disaster, one of my worst ever. I was nervous because I'm a radio guy, like so are you. But you know, being a radio host, many people it's like Kyle sandaland it's the John Laws, the Alan Jones is that you kind of look up to and revere and I was just very nervous.
Speaker 2: Also one of your strengths is like keeping things flowing. Yeah, but John thrives on awkward silence, and I know that about him. So I was in that interview going, oh, he's loving this.
Speaker 1: I hated it.
Speaker 6: I hate it.
Speaker 3: I hate it. I just he actually I think made it more awkward on purpose.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's what he's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you hear it though, This is this is the moment unedited, right, Yeah, let's throw it.
Speaker 5: Hello world, I'm John Laws.
Speaker 6: John Laws. Yeah, Nate, how are you Welcome to the show the Bigger pardon? Welcome to the show. It's great to have you here.
Speaker 5: That's my show, is it our show?
Speaker 6: Is you're on our show? We're on yours? I mean you're welcome.
Speaker 5: No, No, that's one of the rules. This always remains the John Lord show. Okay, you're a visitor and you're very welcome.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 5: But it's the John Lord Show. If you could keep that in mind, I'd be extremely grateful. Got it on it.
Speaker 2: Well, we're actually here in the fortress, so this is your territory. What was your useless piece of information for today?
Speaker 5: Good? Every How could I remember three hours ago?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 2: You just scrunch it up, get rid of it.
Speaker 5: Well, you've got to listen if you want to hear the useless information. Now, what are you charming people doing here in my studio?
Speaker 6: Well, we're big fans, John, We've been We've been in the industry for six years, five years, so a little dot compared to yours. Yeah, we're die hard fans. We work inside Kiss so alongside Kyle Sandalans, who you know really takes a lot of his inspiration from you.
Speaker 2: Oh he does, doesn't.
Speaker 5: He He's taken everything from me, everything, the mic, a gold microphone, the headphones, the Rolls Royce car, the lot, the lot. He hasn't got a single genuine original thought and he's rather lovely.
Speaker 6: Are you're a fan of Kyle?
Speaker 5: I like him. I like Kyle. Don't underestimate Kyle is pretty bright.
Speaker 6: He's good at what he does.
Speaker 2: They've been chatting a lot on Kyle and Jackie I Show recently about the fact that a lot of people suspect that Kyle could be secretly gay.
Speaker 5: What do he means secretly?
Speaker 2: They were telling him that you do come across that way at a glance, some people might suspect that you're gay. What do you think of that?
Speaker 5: I don't think so, and it wouldn't matter if he wasn't. I like Kyle. I get on very well with Kyle. He and I have friends. Yeah, yeah, you know, you've got to be careful. That probably was a sweeping statement, but yes, we're kind of friends. Am I having lunch with Kyle or something? Soon? Were they to organize that? I like having lunch with it. I find him music and I find him also a very genuine bloke. I think if you were in trouble, you could turn to Kyle and he'd do his best. It mightn't be very good, but he'd do his best.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Have you had a long lunch with Kyle recently?
Speaker 5: I have prayed a fe How.
Speaker 2: Long are the long lunches, by the way, nine or ten hours?
Speaker 5: God, jeez, that's a lie. Probably thirteen.
Speaker 6: Do you drink of these long lunches you drinking these days?
Speaker 5: Am I?
Speaker 6: What drinking?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 6: You have a wine drinking?
Speaker 5: Jesus is the pope praying? Of course?
Speaker 6: Do you know?
Speaker 2: One thing that Kyle claims as he's big claim to fame is that his first radio gig was paneling your show in Townville or something. That's also my claim two PK in Parks when I was doing work experience, I had to make sure the ads for John Laws were playing in time, all of that.
Speaker 5: So that was my two PK with Betty Muzzy Chuk who don't you remember Betty? The Spicer family owned two PKH okay, and the daughter or step daughter or daughter in law or somebody. Her name was Betty Muzzy Chuck and she ran the station when I was only there one night.
Speaker 2: I hated you worked at two PIK.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I did one night for one night.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 5: They wouldn't let me smoke.
Speaker 6: In the studio.
Speaker 2: How long ago was that?
Speaker 5: Nineteen fifty four? Probably?
Speaker 2: Okay, do you still smoke or if you quit?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, I quit ages?
Speaker 2: Okay? Would you like to try a vape?
Speaker 5: That's bloody stupid.
Speaker 6: She just hooked on the vabes.
Speaker 2: No, I'm quitting.
Speaker 5: Is it difficult to quit? What? Why would you take up something that is difficult to quit?
Speaker 2: Well, I think for people.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you why. Yeah, because you're young and stupid.
Speaker 2: No, I can't argue with that. Actually that's completely fair. But yeah, I always tell people don't start them because they're way easier to get hooked on than cigarettes. There's no this tastes gross to overcome. They're just pleasant from the get go, So don't go there. It's always my advice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, you're giving very good advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do as I say, not as I do.
Speaker 5: You're maturing at an early age. You're giving very good advice. Don't do it if it's going to be addictive and expensive. Good advice that includes marriage unless you're very careful.
Speaker 6: Ah, John, I I was listening to your speech at the Kennedy Awards, the Lifetime Achievement Award, which congratulations, by the way, that's very exciting.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: I just love my life.
Speaker 7: I haven't made.
Speaker 5: Particularly ruined. I lost my friend Ryan, but I also lost my.
Speaker 4: Adorable Carol, who.
Speaker 5: Was fifteen years old now she's gone out of my life. That makes me sad in case would like there's a kind of vegan difference.
Speaker 1: Thank you are very very much.
Speaker 6: You said that you didn't intend to get into broadcasting, so I guess I want to know how did you fall into it?
Speaker 5: Well, I was a jackaroo in Wellington in central New South Wales, and I love being a jackaroo. I would love to be a jackaroo again, but I can't afford it. But I used to. I used to go to the Legacy Ball and the Bachelor's Ball and the Spinster's Ball, and they used to get me to do a commentary, you know, to introduce people as they came in the door. And there was a man there from a w A which were at that time as a huge concloine a lot of radio stations all over Australia. And he heard me and he asked me did I want to get into into radio? And I wasn't sure. But the man I was working for, a wonderful welksman by the name of Llewellyn Powell. He thought it would be a pretty good idea if I were to do that and get me off his property and get me somewhere else. So I just fell into it that way and loved it.
Speaker 2: Fell in love with it clearly. Yeah, how long have you been doing it now?
Speaker 5: Sixty eight? Are you taking notes?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 5: I chose you. It just shows you how involved that's the Mother Siberia. I'm doing a very important interview with two very important young men, and she's doing a bloody crosswork.
Speaker 2: Jesus, it's so nice to put a face to the name the Mother sapirior I here referred to all the time on the show.
Speaker 5: Well, are you impressed?
Speaker 2: I am absolutely. She's pretty much what I envisioned. Actually, yeah, is she really?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, she gave us a talking to before we came in. You said you're up to no good. You're going to be good, and we said, yeah, we'll be right, We're on our best behavior.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's the way to be. Yeah, that's right, all right. So what else do you what to talk about?
Speaker 2: Well? I should have given you heads up before we started that on the podcast. I don't know if you're much of a swearer, but you're allowed to swear here? Do you swear much?
Speaker 5: Don't be fucking stupid? But that word has become almost acceptable now except around here. She hates it.
Speaker 2: The Mother Superior hates that.
Speaker 5: Doesn't like me swearing at all.
Speaker 2: Would the Mother Superior appreciate being described as a boss bitch, because that's what I would think. The Mother Superior is a what a boss bitch?
Speaker 5: What's that mean?
Speaker 2: It's a wonderful term. Don't worry, powerful woman. Yeah, but it is the word bitch there, It's a term of endearment. It's all about context.
Speaker 6: You back and empowering.
Speaker 5: Don't don't use that word.
Speaker 2: My apologies, I take it back, Mother Superior, take advance. What's your advice for someone like Mitch to last that long in radio?
Speaker 6: It's been seven so far.
Speaker 5: My advice to Mitch give it away? Yeah, get out, get a job as a salesman at Bunnings.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, no, I'll give you very good advice. Enjoy it. If you enjoy it, do it. If you don't enjoy it, don't do it. And be natural. Don't bullshit, no change of voice, no change of attitude.
Speaker 6: Just got to be you authentic.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's well, I don't know how authentic you are, but yeah, just be yourself.
Speaker 6: In other words, now, what happened in the middle because you left for a bit, you had a big retirement. You were out and then you came back. Yeah, you missed it too much.
Speaker 5: I did miss it. I missed it greatly, and I got very bored with my own company, even though up until that time I'd been pretty good with my own company. I love reading, I love sitting by myself, I love thinking. But I did get bored. I did get bored, and I thought, you know, it would be fun to go and do it again. And it's more fun the second time around than it was the first time around.
Speaker 6: Really, Yeah, fell back in love with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh, no, better now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We like to play on our podcast some bits of Gold that happened on talkback radio because we figured that our younger listeners might not be listening as often as we are, so we're like, if anything good happens, we'll tell you. And you've come up many times, including the infamous Pikes Nursery incident that.
Speaker 1: Caller, I'll tell you what to do ring Pikes Nurseries. What nursery, Pikes Pike Yes, p y k E s I.
Speaker 5: Hey, what am I known to deserve this?
Speaker 1: Of course? Would you spell that again for me?
Speaker 7: Hey? I A.
Speaker 3: Did you say no?
Speaker 1: Man? No?
Speaker 8: I said, P why, oh why esp? Why is in Yankee? K is in kilo? He is in echo? S is in stupid Pikes? P y k e s Pike's nurseries?
Speaker 9: Hey?
Speaker 7: Why I?
Speaker 1: But will we try it again?
Speaker 9: Ma'am?
Speaker 1: Okay, you ready?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: You got your pencil handy? Okay?
Speaker 7: P no P.
Speaker 1: As in piddle? Why pay? I save me from this P?
Speaker 5: PE?
Speaker 8: You've got the P there, that's right. Why why as in Yankee? That's right? Okay? Then you have a K I K as in kill.
Speaker 2: K he is it?
Speaker 10: Pay?
Speaker 7: Why A?
Speaker 8: Okay, don't get excited, ma'am. Can I ask you a leading question? Do you have trouble hearing?
Speaker 7: Ah?
Speaker 9: Here?
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, ma'am. Well we'll try it again. PE, why say why k K K is? Yes? No, K is in kill Yes? Ees? God, you got that? Would you spell? Would you spell it back to me?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 7: K why I D No?
Speaker 6: It's not right?
Speaker 8: Oh it's not right.
Speaker 1: P y k E s p I y E. Where do you get the A from? I haven't said in A anywhere? P You got the P? Right? Why? I? Why?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 1: Why? Why? Why is in Yankees?
Speaker 7: Why? K O?
Speaker 1: God save me? How can a K and an e sounded like k yes, I will, I will. I throw myself right down the microphone choke you to death in a minute. That's what I'm getting.
Speaker 7: Pay y e.
Speaker 9: Did you say no?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know.
Speaker 8: I don't think we're ever going to make it, ma'am. Are we I don't think that. I don't think that I'm ever going to be able to give you this telephone number. I mean, this is just the name. Imagine that when I start to get to the telephone number and it's a nurse is yes, it is strangely.
Speaker 1: Enough, give me the number of it? Oh God, can.
Speaker 7: I that's a telephone?
Speaker 1: That's all right here? You are you ready? I'll take the risk. Are you ready? Okay? Do you have your pen at the ready? Okay?
Speaker 5: Six?
Speaker 8: Six good, that's very good.
Speaker 9: Free three he jesus, I.
Speaker 7: Don't know that.
Speaker 10: I'll just come captus in silvarbize in my ear.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I'll say it very quietly. Can you hear me? Six three very good?
Speaker 8: Six three nine nine and another nine eight eight.
Speaker 1: Very good, five five.
Speaker 8: One one, yes, yes, would you read it back to me?
Speaker 6: Nine nine five eight five one.
Speaker 8: You've got it, You've got it. I so just dial of the telephone number and God help, Bruce Pyke.
Speaker 2: I really want to hear from your point of view, what were you thinking? What were you feeling when that call? I just could not understand what you were saying.
Speaker 5: Well, I thought this is going this is going to go on forever. But I thought this could be very good radio. So I decided to stay with it, and she started to understand the humor of it. As we got towards the end of the conversation.
Speaker 2: You reckon that she was in on it too.
Speaker 5: No, no, not in on it, but I think she started to understand the humor of it. Okay, she wasn't going along with it deliberately. She was laughing at herself. It was a good call. It was a fun call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. And it lives on in our podcast as well.
Speaker 6: At the start of every show, we play the audio. That's how we start our show every week.
Speaker 5: You didn't even ask.
Speaker 2: It's on YouTube? Did you know that?
Speaker 5: I don't go to that. I think I can't work computers.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you're paddling your show right now, aren't you. You've got some sort of understanding.
Speaker 5: That's just a board that's got stuff on it. Like Tom t Hall a bit of music here. There you are. That's how simple it is.
Speaker 2: Well, who says it can't work in a computer? There you go?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it just po a couple of mitches. I don't suppose you're ever going to get to that stage where, like a lot of other radio studio is like a kiss, you'll have cameras in the room filming it. They're never you don't want stuff on Facebook?
Speaker 5: Or of course I don't. Of course I don't. I do a radio program and I'm a radio broadcaster and that is the limit of my talent. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Who else do you listen to? John? Do you have any other shows that you listen to? Or do you just?
Speaker 5: Do you know what? I listened to as soon as I leave here? Yeah, at midday or whenever I leave in ABC Classic. Really I love classical music, and they pay a lot of like classical music. They play a lot of ballet music, and I love ballet music. I love the ballet. So there you are. That's surprised you Have.
Speaker 6: You ever podcasted? Have you ever you know how to listen to podcasts? You into them?
Speaker 5: No, I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 6: You'd make a killing, do you think a podcast by John Laws would be huge?
Speaker 2: Does he know that his show with podcasts and every day you actually can listen to it as a podcast podcast.
Speaker 6: You've got one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know what it is even.
Speaker 2: You know how Netflix is TV shows on demand. Podcasts are radio shows on demand. That's pretty much the basic way of explaining it. And that's what we are.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 2: You can't tune in at a certain time to us, We're just there whenever you're like not live.
Speaker 5: No, well it can't be. Nah. Are you bored now?
Speaker 6: No, not at all.
Speaker 5: On the slightest, I don't want to bore you.
Speaker 6: No, we're not bored.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 6: I'm hoving this.
Speaker 2: You know another old job that John used to have, Mitch am I right in saying it used to be what we call a rouse about in a shearing shed.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what I was.
Speaker 6: Oh, what's a rouse about in a shearing shed?
Speaker 5: You pick up the dregs and the shit off the tails of the lambs on the DAGs. Yeah, and you also, if you're lucky, you get to use the wool press a bit. And pressing the wool let's tough work, but it's great fun.
Speaker 6: How long did you do that job?
Speaker 5: For eighteen months?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't last a day. I was a farm boy, raised on a farm. Mom and dad used to always try and get me to help out with that stuff, but I was like, not for me. I was a bit too precious for that.
Speaker 5: With that surprising, I can tell you're a bit precious. I've detected that.
Speaker 2: But I was smart enough to realize if I do that job really badly, they'll stop asking for help. So I just kept stuffing up. It was fantastic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but if you did it well, then keep asking you to do it, and they would have. But it would have been very good for you. All that wool press stuff was good. All that woolshared stuff was good. And the blokes, the shearers and the mates you'd make and the shearers cook sair, they could cook. They used to cook great stuff, shepherd spie, cottage pie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But they would bring food to serve. Because I ended up when I was no good at the rouse about judies, I ended up serving morning tea like I was the one giving the food. So they would bring food.
Speaker 5: No, no, they'd cook it there, but yes, they'd bring the food with them. Oh, they were good. Too, the shed of shearing cooks.
Speaker 2: Yeah great, Yeah, you had a way better sharing shed experience than me. It was hell on earth for me.
Speaker 6: Could you tell me she's a country boy boy? Looking at him? Born and raised it. Where is it Parks?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, well it depends which part of the country.
Speaker 2: Have you heard of bogan It's just near Parks, That's where I'm from. You're where bogan Gate.
Speaker 5: I've heard of. I've been to bogan Gate, haven't I?
Speaker 6: Have you been to bogan Gate? Is there a station in bogen Gate? Meet your radio station?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Parks is are like.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no. But I when I went around Australia, I wasn't doing radio. I was just going around Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, blink and you'll miss it.
Speaker 5: That's It's a very good idea, you know. People. I remember my sister as soon as she turned fifteen or something, all she talked about was going to England. She just wanted Everybody wanted to go to England. Nobody by the day of a look at Australia, the greatest country in the world.
Speaker 2: I've always thought that, like everyone's excited now that you know, international flights are a thing again. After lockdown, But I would rather just travel Australia like all the ruined stuff like that.
Speaker 5: It's a good thing to do. It's a great country.
Speaker 6: Do you have a favorite city or you're a Sydney boy, You've always been a Sydney boy.
Speaker 5: I'd like if you settled into a place long enough, it becomes your favorite.
Speaker 6: Did you ever live overseas?
Speaker 5: Never lived overseas? No?
Speaker 2: I believe you were working in the ua U though. Weren't you when JFK was assassinating you reported on that? Am I right?
Speaker 5: Yes, that is quite right. I bear in mind this is a long, long time ago.
Speaker 10: Is a sad day in the history of the United States. The President of the United States of Ricker John Fitzgerald Kennedy has been assassinated, killed by a rifle bullet. I'm in Hollywood, in California, and in a matter of ours, I've seen probably one of the most colorful cities in the world become a city in math morning. And this is just one city of an entire nation. In Bonny, grown men and women crying openly, almost probably in the streets of Hollywood. All the entertainment has ceased in Hollywood, the hub of the world entertainment shops and offices and factories closed within a matter of minutes of the announcement of the President's death. That's all I have for you now. So from the midst of this national tragedy has left America lifeless and then sorrow. I returned you to your studio.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember to day like it was yesterday. That was I've got to say, that was a good report. I did good. I went there to open the coaxial cable that came from the United States to Canada, actually to Australia. The Queen opened it, and I was the support actor after the queen. Right, yeah, how about that half act to following.
Speaker 2: Have you ever in your career had a co host or has it always been the John Laws Show?
Speaker 5: The John Laws Show co host?
Speaker 6: Not for you.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't think that would work.
Speaker 5: Listen. If you're getting any ideas, forget it.
Speaker 6: No, God, no, he's got his resume.
Speaker 5: In the bank. It's always been just me. For a while. I did half an hour was I can't even remember her name now, wonderful woman broadcaster, jeez, I can't remember her name. John Perce used to work with her, and anyway, I can't think of it, and it doesn't matter because she thoroughly did. But for a while I did that and I loved it.
Speaker 6: Have they ever paired you up with anyone, because in radio, especially commercial radio, they love to throw a co host just experiment. Yeah, they had a co host thrown at you. Or have they ever tried to squeeze someone in and say, John, we think you'd be good with this person.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they probably have, but I would have told.
Speaker 6: Him, yeah, get out. We get all the reality stars in commercial radio. They'll say to me, oh, this person one Love Island Australia, they won Big Brother, get them on the show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what for?
Speaker 6: That's what I say. They don't last.
Speaker 2: Do you watch any of those free too wear shows these says Married at First Sight, Love Ireland, those sorts of shows.
Speaker 5: You're kidding?
Speaker 2: Yeah, neither, not for me.
Speaker 6: It's not for us.
Speaker 2: What about music? Are there any new artists that are out and at the moment that you actually enjoy?
Speaker 5: I just love all music fair enough, As I said, I listened to as soon as I've finished here, I turned the radio on in the car to ABC Classic. I love classical music. I love Bruce Springsteen at the moment, I'm playing a lot of a lot of his stuff. I love my friend Roger Billet, I love Christofferson, I love music. I love music, Tom T. Hall, all those storytellers are great.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been singing yourself?
Speaker 5: I've released seventeen albums. Really, where have you been?
Speaker 2: I don't suppose that you would be able to answer this question, but I do wonder if they're on Spotify, like I'd love to be able to stream them, these old albums.
Speaker 5: I'm what where would.
Speaker 2: Someone have to go to listen to these albums?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Here there we go, Oh we've been handed them.
Speaker 2: Look at this a couple of CDs.
Speaker 1: Early man who grow bulls?
Speaker 5: When you long?
Speaker 1: You really got it? Me in you all and good?
Speaker 6: Look at you here with a denim jacket on. This is the Mind and the Music.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was called the Mind of the music. Was because it was an album of poetry and I wrote all the music and I wrote all the words, so it was called the Mind and the Music.
Speaker 6: Look at this, all the women in the shorts. You've never been trucked like this before.
Speaker 10: I like that.
Speaker 5: I knew you'd like that, And I loved singing. I love singing. We had a lot of releases and did pretty well. Now put them down.
Speaker 6: Can we keep these and these for us? For all these.
Speaker 2: That's all right.
Speaker 6: Well, you have to get them on Spotify, because there's a whole generation that have missed out on the musical talents of John Laws. Get it on what Spotify, streaming, Spotify, an iPhone, Get it on your phone.
Speaker 5: I don't want I got it there.
Speaker 2: You know he doesn't care about everyone else listening. He can listen to himself. It's all good. Did they get many radio spins? Did you ever play your own music on the radio?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because nobody else had play?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why the hell not? I reckon there, you go write that down. It's start putting out singles, and it's play them yourselves. We actually got mitched, you know how I said that we play things we hear on talkback and then we kind of take inspiration from them. We got mitched to improvise a poem because we heard one of your poems go to air. It was about country people actually in small towns.
Speaker 5: A little town is where everybody knows what everybody else is doing, but they read the weekly newspaper just to see who got caught doing it. Oh that's a good story there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so I heard that and I played it on our podcast and said, Mitch, I think you should start doing poetry like this, and he improvised the whole thing about Britney Spears, the whole free Britney thing.
Speaker 6: I I'd sing to music ideas, it'd be like we knew you from a girl, a young Titan Cube, but now look at you.
Speaker 3: Like an old haggard boot free Brittany. Let her out of that cage, poor poor Britney. It makes me filled with rage.
Speaker 2: Are you across the Britney Spears drama?
Speaker 5: Dad? Care? What a drama? Why don't they just leave her alone?
Speaker 6: Are well?
Speaker 2: They are?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 2: So that's good.
Speaker 6: She's free, Britney's free. Now they want it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure John really appreciates that update.
Speaker 5: What am I doing talking about?
Speaker 6: Well, this was a pleasure. I've really enjoyed this match. Anything you want to get off here? Jest with John?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm wondering if we should ask him the question we ask every guest.
Speaker 6: I think you can do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we like every guest that we have on the podcast, we like to ask them a small thing in life that they appreciate, like Angela Bishop said her water bed. Jessica Malboy said sitting in the sun, being barefoot in a garden. That was one of her small life pleasures. The reason I'm reluctant to ask it is because we call it our list of things better than drugs and dick, which is basically a psa to young people that there's more to life than boys and partying.
Speaker 5: No, there's not.
Speaker 6: No one's ever said that.
Speaker 2: I'll put that on the list.
Speaker 5: Is that it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you want, Yeah, we're good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm happy to sit here a bit longer if you wanted. That's up to talking about anything else.
Speaker 6: Now we're done. I'm good. Thank you for being here. It was a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Are you bored now?
Speaker 6: No, we can stay here all day, like he'll.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much for coming to visit me. It was very nice for you to do that.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having us.
Speaker 6: There was a pleasure. You're a legend. It was great to be in your presence and in the studio.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's good studio.
Speaker 6: It's a big studio studio.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the kiss FM broom closet studio? Like this is the next level.
Speaker 6: If it has Kyle been in here, because if he were to see this, renovations would start at Kiss tomorrow. Kyle Studio is a quarter the size of this.
Speaker 5: Well, so it should be yeah, cord to the talent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, is that it?
Speaker 5: You finish? Now? You're bored?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not bordin And you've got a long lunch to get to, haven't you have?
Speaker 5: I with a lot of people. What have you got on your own?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 6: It says art pop?
Speaker 2: You are you familiar with art pop? No, it's a Lady Gaga album.
Speaker 5: No, I like Lady Gaga, do you yeah? Do you know why I like Lady Gaga?
Speaker 2: Well, suspect that you'd be a fan of some of the classical stuff she puts out. She's got jazz albums as well as the pop stuff.
Speaker 5: But also I like her because one of my favorite people in the world likes Tony Bennett, and Tony Bennett likes Lady Gaga, and Tony Bennett is a gentleman beyond belief and sings like nobody else.
Speaker 2: And that new album they put out recently is up for like a gazillion Grammys, So oh yeah, when they team up, magic happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you know something, We're starting to get boring. People listening aren't going to give a stuff about Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga. I'm going now, all.
Speaker 6: Right, then, it was a pleasure to have you on. Great to meet you.
Speaker 5: You didn't have me on, I had you.
Speaker 6: You're that again, Yeah, a pleasure to be here.
Speaker 5: Well, it's been a pleasure to have you here. And anytime you feel like dropping by again, you're quite welcome. The door will always be open. Oh, thank you, John, that's a pleasure. You're You're all right, he looks.
Speaker 6: Thanks.
Speaker 2: That's a glowing review of ever heard?
Speaker 6: Thank you John? Thanks John?
Speaker 4: Is it just me?
Speaker 2: A podcast by a couple of mechas.
Speaker 8: Make sure you've hit follow on your podcast app.
Speaker 6: Let me be a little candid, Let me be a little blinded to.
Speaker 2: The founts of those about me.
Speaker 5: Let me praise a fut more.