Speaker 1: The Unplayable Podcast is proudly presented by quantas the official podcast partner and the official airline partner of Cricket Australia. Once again, this season, Quantus is pradsbyby flying Australia's cricketers as they take on the world. Everyone and welcome back to The Unplayable Podcast. Josh Onafinger here to check in ahead of the T twenty World Cup which is being held in India and Sri Lanka. Ben McDermott is the special guest on today's episode. He was part of the Hurricane side that just fell short against the Sixers in the most recent Big Bash. The Sixers of course lost the final to the Perth Scorches who claimed their sixth title. Incredible stuff from the side from the West. They just do it again and Ben McDermott is going to give us a few insights on that tournament and also tell us what it's like to play in Pakistan, where the Aussie men are heading next. Ben was part of that most recent tour to Pakistan in twenty twenty two. He did pretty well on it as well as you'll hear in the chat. But he joins us in just a few moments to give us the loadown on what they should expect and what's coming up. There's also that T twenty World Cup which follows these three matches. Now, Australia play those three matches against Pakistan in four days January twenty nine, January thirty first, and February first, before their T twenty World Cup campaign begins on February eleven. They're taking on Island in Colombo to kick things off in that tournament. They've also got Zimbabwe, Oman and Sri Lanka in their group, so hopefully no hiccups there. They'll get some time to find their feet. A few champions joining the squad as well, Mitch Marsh, Cooper Conley, Josh English just to name a few from that winning per Scorches side. So lots of players in great form after another fantastic big Bash campaign. Let's not waste more time. We'll bring in Ben McDermott, who's here to join the Unplayabolek podcast. So yeah, as mentioned off the top, Pakistan again a host Australia for a couple of T twenties ahead of that T twenty World Cup next month. So who better to give us an insight than somebody who's done very well over there in the past. Ben mcdermoty joined us. Now, how's it going Ben?
Speaker 2: Good? Thanks mate, Thanks having me.
Speaker 1: No worries it all. Let's start with a big bash because the Hurricanes, of course we're reigning champions, just fell short this year, losing to the Sixers in the Challenger Final. How did you feel like the season went as a whole there, mate?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think you know, when you set out to start any tournament year, you aim to get that squad into it, into a final and give them a chance to go go all the way, and we were lucky enough to do that. We've lost we lost a few of our probably best players in CJ. Naith and Timmy David, So yeah, it probably hurt us a little bit when you lose quality players like that.
Speaker 2: But nice.
Speaker 3: Nice to get us into the finals and give our bench a little bit of a chance to get us all the way, but we weren't able to do.
Speaker 1: And you took the rains as well. With Nathan Allis out of the side, how did you feel that went, taking the captaincy unband for those matches?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did it for three.
Speaker 3: Two of those were rain affected we've played a seven other game in a five over game, so that's that's that helps, and then yeah, I really enjoyed the captain inside of it. I definitely lean on, you know, our other senior players. We've got some quality out there and Bo Webster. Obviously Maddy Wade. I lean on him a lot throughout, you know everything, really my budding and especially when we're on the field and I'm skippering, always sort of lean on him.
Speaker 2: And yeah, loved it really good.
Speaker 1: And whenever Maddy Wade's in purple, he takes the gloves. Is there any competition from your side to take that honor as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously I love keeping lumber keeping. I'll you know, certainly be I hope, hopefully be stepping into that role whenever Maddy feels like he's ready and finished. But as soon as he you know, as far as we're all concerned, he's a better glove than than I am. And yeah, so whenever he's you know, he's finished and ready, I'll step into those shoes.
Speaker 2: I think I'm doing it for for Tazzy.
Speaker 3: The old boys backs not great for fifty hours, so I'll step into that. And yeah, looking forward to to doing that in our last sort of three games for Tazzy as well hopefully. Well, I think we've flocked in the home final, which is which is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was going to ask, because yeah, obviously you're back down there with the Tigers this season and you've played some played some one day games I think before Christmas first class Crickets Sheffield hiew. Is that still on the agenda or was that sort of you're done with that for the minute.
Speaker 3: I never say never, man, I think if I'm here and available, yeah, happy to happy to have the conversation and get ready for a first class fix. But yeah, at this stage, really just trying to focus on my white ball game and see where that can take me. I guess I'm supposed to be leading for Malaysia tomorrow for a T ten competition, so you know, just things like that that pop up, and I'm really enjoying the freedom to go and be able to do so. Yeah, get over there, play some T ten which should be a lot of fun, and then get back to play some one day and finish off the season strong with Taszy.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: Who are you representing in the Malaysian League?
Speaker 2: The Royals.
Speaker 3: I actually don't know what the team's called, but where the Royals. So we're coming to play some fun cricket.
Speaker 2: That'll be good.
Speaker 1: Nice And have you played much ten before? And like, how much does it change to T twenty because obviously it's just a lot shorter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's obviously. Yeah, it takes the two of our play. We played one over search or sort of simil thing. I don't think they called it the Surge, but yeah, I played that in Abadhabi played it played Zimbabwe one as well, So yeah, they're a lot of fun. Obviously, you know you're feeling under the pump as soon as you face a couple of dop balls. It's a little bit different at T twenty that way, but yeah, it's just a it's a it's a one. It's actually sort of It was funny I came from the Hong Kong sixes to straight to Abadabe T ten and I was like, I felt, this feels like a T twenty.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's just it's all guns blazing.
Speaker 3: It's it's take a couple to get yourself certain and then join asmon as you can.
Speaker 1: The Hong Kong sixes looks like so much fun. From what I've seen on TV, you're playing on synthos and stuff, aren't you in small grounds and just lots of sixes?
Speaker 2: No, we played on a turf WI could Actually it was absolute belter, right, it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was awesome. It was such good fun. We got a lot of stick for it. It did look a little bit different to what you know some of the guys see in TV, so but that was what made it really cool. Actually, like it was an SG ball or something like that, and it was pinging around like it was coming off a goal like a golf ball, and the ground was so tiny and the wicket was like a road. It was so much fun and we had a really good crew there as well.
Speaker 1: Do you reckon there's any scope for that sort of stuff in Australia? Six over matches, ten over matches or is twenty over perfect for what we've got down under here?
Speaker 2: I think you'd never say never.
Speaker 3: I think the games evolving so much it would be critical to see you people want to play more cricket, and especially sort of where I'm leaning towards, and I think the games heading a little bit towards some guys is the shorter format. So maybe there was a scope for it, but you know, it is a lot of fun. I think Rossie, our captain over there, was talking about us getting together and trying to take on you know, like go around Australia and take on some teams whoever wants to sort of play us, and I thought that was a pretty cool idea as well.
Speaker 1: So it goes Harlem globe trotter's style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: We got knocked off over there by Pakistan in the semi final, but they had some nice player as well. They had a couple of internationals as well playing, so yeah, it was good fun.
Speaker 1: And on a personal note, mate, you finished the tournament pretty well for the Hurricanes, fifty nine off thirty one against the Heat and forty off twenty six against the Sixers. But you guys came up against Steve Smith, I guess in that challenger. So that was always going to be pretty tough considering the four meeting at the minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always always a tough one.
Speaker 3: We're had a good strategy meeting the day before with Naith and our sort of our staff working out sort of where we wanted to bowl, and as you do, just dragged on for about twenty minutes about how we bbviously reckon but no, it was it was, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a challenge we fellow.
Speaker 3: We got a couple close there a couple of times, but he got away again and he's showing his class and he's unbelievable tough to get out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and speaking of class, the Scorches one out again for the sixth time. A lot of people had written them off, but they've just done it again. Why do you think they've been able to come back and win it again.
Speaker 3: I think they've managed to keep their squad pretty similar for a long period of time. They've obviously got some gun players. They've got the Australian opening Bata and the other opening batter finale and had an unbelievable season. And it's always the way when you get guys, guys firing at the right time.
Speaker 2: I think Finn didn't miss seem like you missed at all.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he had an unblievible tourment and you know, those those sort of things they sort of get you all the way in. We sort of had that last year with Mitchell when he had an absolute belter And yeah, just guys coming off at the right time.
Speaker 2: And like I said, yeah, they've got a.
Speaker 3: Squad that are really familiar with each other and played a lot of cretek together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, a lot of international players in that squad who you mentioned. A lot of those guys will be heading to Pakistan either today or they've already headed over there. You were there in twenty twenty two when Australia returned for the first time in twenty four years. What was that experience like and what are your memories of that tour as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously it was it was COVID time, so we were in a hotel, locked into a floor with lots of security. So yeah, a little bit of a tense time, but it sort of brought us pretty close together. We spent a lot of time and yeah, in the coffee rooms and around each other, getting around each other. So it was a nice little bubble that we had there. And it was a short tour, like we pumped out the games, but the wickets, yeah, quite good for batting and high scoring, so it was nice to go over there as a top water batter and try and spend some time in the middle, which I was lucky enough to do a couple of games with I think a sixty or something and my first idea one hundred. So I was, yeah, something to look back on and really enjoyable. And yeah, probably one of my fondest creaking memories personally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there that's one hundred came that second ode. I just had a look at the score card. You were batting three, a big partnership with Travis Head as well, so that would have helped. Suppose can you take us into the middle. How are you feeling at that time and as you're getting close to that milestone? Were they nerves or were you just in the zone?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was betting with Trav which was which was helpful throughout that power play and the middle overs.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was swinging around a little bit early, but then you know, you know, once you sort of get through that, the wicket's going to be good. And we sort of knew that we needed we needed a big score. They were chasing down pretty much anything under two sixty three hundred, racking or around that mark, so we knew that runn a ball wasn't going to quite cut it.
Speaker 2: So I think I started to fall behind a little bit. Yeah, I thought it. I had no choice.
Speaker 3: I was like, I gotta keep going here, and I think I brought it up with a six and brought my strip right back up to one hundred or something like that. So it was nice but got out shortly after. It didn't quite go on with it, but yeah, really nice, nice wicket to battle the hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, four sixer's and ten fours, so you obviously clear there over a couple of times there, mate, and the tough bowling to take us off. Shaheen and Harris Ralph were both there, so they were pretty much at full strength. I reckoned from that tour as well, weren't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember standing on our outside.
Speaker 3: Leg to Shahin because I knew he was coming to try and blow my pad off, and they get him down the ground once over his head and then I just knew he was going to come short for some reason. And then, oh, I say, for some reasons, obviously going to come at my head, I reckon and imagine to hit him over oversquare Lea for six. So I was nice feeling to get away like that against the quality ball like him as always sets up with a bit of confidence.
Speaker 1: So what should the Aussies expect when they head out in these three t t is good batting conditions, I guess, and plenty of tough, hot conditions, I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: At Law that I think there's yeah, there's the three games there at the hall, So it's going to be a good batting track. I want to take a little bit of spin, it's going to it's going to stay low, going to feel like everything's going to hit the toe of the bat compared to what we've what we've felt like, especially those guys that would have played in Perth. But yeah, I mean a lot, a lot of a lot less bounce, a lot more hitting the hitting at the toe of the bat. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so when you're not at the ground and you're not at training you just said you were guys were in the hotel rooms. How did you sort of pass the time where they're mini golf games or players playing music, or did you do cards, Monopoly deal or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I think there was a well, you know, there was a golf simulator. So there's a lot of time spent on that. A lot of crap being spoken in one person's room just to.
Speaker 2: Pass the time, A lot of coffee.
Speaker 3: We had that Lama Soka machine that seems to go around the the the Aussie change rooms or team rooms, i should say, And yeah, lots of lots of working on your putting.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've.
Speaker 3: Brought my golf clubs, but there was there was obviously some golf clubs floating around with that golf shimale we had. And yeah, lots of Netflix, lots of PlayStation all that's all that sort of stuff that we were used to by that stage of COVID.
Speaker 1: Nice and how do you reckon The Aussis will fare at this year's Tea twenty World Cup, which Marsh captaining. And yeah, obviously a strong bowling attack.
Speaker 2: As usual, yeah always, I mean, yeah, very strong team.
Speaker 3: And we're coming from some really good t twenty crickets and some quality obviously one of the best competitions in or Tea twenty competitions in the world as far as I'm concerned. So I think they're gonna they're gonna be ready to go and they're playing. It's gonna build on that momentum that they all have. They've all been selected obviously because they've had good tournaments and or they've been there for a long time, so they're going to go well, they're a quality side. Yeah, it's just going to be interesting to see, you know, how they adapt to those conditions as obviously, like I said earlier, it's going to be a lot different to Australia.
Speaker 2: So really keen to watch it.
Speaker 1: And the other tournament's going on at the minute is the Under nineteen World Cup. I had to look through and you actually featured an Under nineteen World Cup back in twenty fourteen. How's your memory going on that one? And have you been keeping across the scores of this current under nineteen cap.
Speaker 2: He's taken me back. I haven't been keeping up with.
Speaker 3: The scores exactly, but I've seen a lot of highlights. I've been as you do when you get on the doom scroll, they passed for you your reels and stuff like that. So I think I saw some heavy send offs by the shril Ankins and I think our boys are giving it back there.
Speaker 2: So I thought the boys will fired up.
Speaker 3: So no, that looks like it's it's going well, so hopefully they can they can bring up some silverware.
Speaker 1: Any memories from your particular tournament back in twenty fourteen, I think you guys maybe finished third or fourth in that particular tournament.
Speaker 3: Yes, we lost to Africa and A semi I think they had I think they had Adam Markram and Kickisa Robarda absolutely ran through US. I remember that pretty vividly. I don't think we I don't reckon. We got about rock and roll for about ninety one hundred chasing plenty, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I just absolutely ran through US. So I can got six or.
Speaker 3: Seven far, but yeah, that was that was the main memory, and lots of lots of good fun with we had. We had some some some guns there. We had Maddy Shorts, Billy stan Lake, Tommy Andrews really testing me, Jaron Morgan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had it. We had a really good fun side.
Speaker 3: So I enjoyed that over there is obviously in Dubai and other w so that they're fun, fun places definitely.
Speaker 1: And so just finally, Ben, you've got the Malaysian League coming up. You've also in your career played in Pakistan and Sri Lanka, South Africa, England basically everywhere in fact the CPL last year as well. Anything else in the pipeline for you this year that we should look forward.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, just trying to tick them all off, mate, love to love to do MLC. You haven't done that one yet, but yeah, like just sort of yeah, focusing on the the T twenty stuff for the moment. So so keen to do, love to do, Love to do APO one day, That's that's the goal. As well as playing for Australia. I think that's sort of the pinnacle of T twenty cricket. Pakistan Super League again would be awesome. So yeah, just sort of see what comes up. I've got sort of got the freedom to do do whatever I want off contract now, so if someone goes down or gets injured, I'm available and ready to go when I'm required. So yeah, I mean the winter for us, there's a lot coming up obviously. Yeah, We've got the IPL, the PSL, MLC, some vitality blasts, some hundred all that stuff. So it's going to be a lot of cricket you know, available and hopefully can pick up a replacement gig or go in the PSOL draft or something like that and thought out some signings in the near future. But the way that this sort of T twenty gig works for me has generally been in the past. I sort of come in as a replacement player and from a play role.
Speaker 1: But are you enjoying having that freedom and just not knowing what next week might hold for you, because I guess yeah, as you said, you're not sort of tied to a state at the minute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really enjoying the freedom.
Speaker 3: That's sort of the path that I sort of went down after sort of handing back my contract with Queensland, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really enjoying it.
Speaker 3: I'm really enjoying the sort of personalized training as well, and going in there and getting what you need and then coming back and spending some quality time with my family. The tea twenty games, so it takes your way for a long period, longer periods of time than perhaps a shield game would. And yeah, so I really enjoying that and the personalized training. Like I said, you can sort of get in and work on the things that you need to. Our staff down here and Tazzi have been awesome and accepting of that, and yeah, I can't thank you enough.
Speaker 2: That was sort of the the gist of the move.
Speaker 3: With the Heart being signed with the Hurricanes for another two years, that sort of got that coaching and the facility down here to use, so loving it at the moment, really really enjoy my cricket at this stage.
Speaker 1: That's great. Well, there's plenty of connections at the MLC mate, so you'll have to get on your phone and send out some messages and get that ball rolling because it looks like a fun time to be a part of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one d per that'd be great. Albeit some Sydney and New Melbourne connections, but I'll try and sneak in there.
Speaker 2: That'd be great.
Speaker 1: Great stuff, Mane. Appreciate your time and all the best for the coming months.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I appreciate it. Thanks for having me on FA